Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KayakCyndi View Post
    38 front chainring 11x42 rear cassette
    Daaaamn...that's basically MTB gearing right there, especially since it looks like you went with an XT cassette. Did you choose the Shimano over the SRAM cassette to avoid having to switch out to SRAM's XD Driver Body?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Daaaamn...that's basically MTB gearing right there, especially since it looks like you went with an XT cassette. Did you choose the Shimano over the SRAM cassette to avoid having to switch out to SRAM's XD Driver Body?
    Yeah, that is basically the same as my MTB low gear (32:36)!

SRAM also makes 11-42t non-XD cassettes now, BTW, but I suspect XT are lighter and cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a Soma Double cross (canti brakes) since 2012 and think it's a great bike for commuting and a good bike for gravel, light trail riding, and 'cross racing. When I first built it up it had the original steel fork and fenders with a 9 speed mix of Dura Ace, Ultegra, and 105. Sort of a parts bin special but there were some new parts as well. Over time I started riding more gravel and eventually got into 'cross so I upgraded the fork to a Ritchey WCS and the drivetrain to a mix of Ultegra and 105 10 speed (but kept the tried and true XTR M952 rear derailleur) with 'cross chainrings (46/36). Here she is in action at Rockburn CX this past fall:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rockburn-68884271-1E9A0260.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	14163

It's been a fine bike but it's time to upgrade to something with custom geometry, thru axles, 44mm head tube, and hydro discs. I was happy with the process and product that came out of my dealings with Marty Walsh of Geekhouse Bikes in Boston for my latest road bike so I turned to him for this build as well. This isn't the final geometry but it's pretty close. Also, the paint scheme isn't exact but close as well. I'll update once I receive the frame and start building her up.

Name:	ChrisMudville3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	14164

4. Likes Sunyata, vvill, hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I can't quite read the geo diagram; is that 73.9 STA?

The color scheme looks great. You planing to set it up 1x or is that just the drawing? Did they have to do any special accommodation for ring size vs. tire clearance?

Someday when I have an influx of cash, I would love to do a custom frame with a local company that takes a more holistic approach. I have enjoyed the process of spec'ing far east frames, but there is little in the way if opinion or guidance, which puts a lot of pressure on the consumer to do all the research and not spec a frame design that won't work.

Hey, I have a flat-mount fork for you! :-). J/k I am sure you are getting a painted-to-match fork.

12mm front and rear axles?

Can't wait to see the finished product.

6. Likes ctankcycles liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

STA is 73. HTA is 71.5. The plan is for a Force 1 group. I'm sort of torn between 1x and double. I'm sold on 1x for cx racing and trail riding but I'm worried that the gaps in gearing and limited range could make it less ideal for long, mixed surface rides where other riders have road doubles. Sometimes I think about running 1x for three months of the year during cx season and swapping to a double for the other 9 months but I'm going to give the 1x a chance and see how it goes. I don't mind the extra cable stop that won't be used when it's set up as a 1x. Will look like this...

Name:	9.13 PM3-7-17.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	14178

Re tire clearance, I'm planning on a 700c wheelset that I'll run for cx and gravel rides and a 650b so I have the option to run tires like the WTB Horizon or a 2.2 knobby. Chainring max will likely be 42t. This Crema provided some inspiration... http://theradavist.com/2016/08/my-ag...-cross-bike/#1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctankcycles View Post
    Sometimes I think about running 1x for three months of the year during cx season and swapping to a double for the other 9 months but I'm going to give the 1x a chance and see how it goes. I don't mind the extra cable stop that won't be used when it's set up as a 1x.
    I'm trying to envision a way this would work that wasn't a massive pain in the ass. I guess just tie the FD cable off somehow so you wouldn't have to re-run it and potentially the housing every time? Or maybe invest in an eTap shifter and FD so you wouldn't need an FD cable to start with...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I'm trying to envision a way this would work that wasn't a massive pain in the ass. I guess just tie the FD cable off somehow so you wouldn't have to re-run it and potentially the housing every time? Or maybe invest in an eTap shifter and FD so you wouldn't need an FD cable to start with...
    I experiment a lot, swapping forks and handlebars on different bikes. One thing that makes it easy is a double-ended cable ferrule, which basically acts like an extender for your housing. So for this instance, you can run the housing right up to the end of the tape, then cut it right there. When you want to run the front derailleur, just put on this ferrule and the rest of the housing, then thread the cable through.

Name:	41rr-OHw1dL.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	14181

http://jagwire.com/products/small-pa...ction-ferrules

10. Likes hozn, Harry Meatmotor, vvill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I experiment a lot, swapping forks and handlebars on different bikes. One thing that makes it easy is a double-ended cable ferrule, which basically acts like an extender for your housing. So for this instance, you can run the housing right up to the end of the tape, then cut it right there. When you want to run the front derailleur, just put on this ferrule and the rest of the housing, then thread the cable through.

Name:	41rr-OHw1dL.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	14181

http://jagwire.com/products/small-pa...ction-ferrules
    The other way I love doing this is to run inline barrel adjusters about .5" from the end of the bar tape. nice and stealth, and lets you swap between 1x and 2x with only a little bit of fuss.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctankcycles View Post
    STA is 73. HTA is 71.5. The plan is for a Force 1 group. I'm sort of torn between 1x and double. I'm sold on 1x for cx racing and trail riding but I'm worried that the gaps in gearing and limited range could make it less ideal for long, mixed surface rides where other riders have road doubles. Sometimes I think about running 1x for three months of the year during cx season and swapping to a double for the other 9 months but I'm going to give the 1x a chance and see how it goes. I don't mind the extra cable stop that won't be used when it's set up as a 1x. Will look like this...

Re tire clearance, I'm planning on a 700c wheelset that I'll run for cx and gravel rides and a 650b so I have the option to run tires like the WTB Horizon or a 2.2 knobby. Chainring max will likely be 42t. This Crema provided some inspiration... http://theradavist.com/2016/08/my-ag...-cross-bike/#1
    Very nice! I want to try 650b on my Warbird, although by eye the rear chainstays bow around the 700c tire diameter clearance and look like they won't handle 650b 2.2s.

I'm also not sold on 1x probably because I'm using the Warbird as my main geared bike (road as well as gravel/etc.) and wonder if a high gear of say, 42x11 will be too limiting. And on gravel there have been times where I've wished for lower than 1:1 and if I try it out on singletrack, etc. I bet that'd happen as well. I always thought I might enjoy having my 34 little ring with a wide range cassette (36T or more).

This winter I did swap my old SSCX pit bike to 1x10 with a 42T narrow-wide to try out and had it spin out in the default resistance setting range of a Computrainer during harder efforts. A very minor example obviously (and the setting chould've been changed higher) but I imagine a 46T+ front ring probably would've been fine.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ctankcycles;156519 ...

Re tire clearance, I'm planning on a 700c wheelset that I'll run for cx and gravel rides and a 650b so I have the option to run tires like the WTB Horizon or a 2.2 knobby. ...[/QUOTE]

I've been mulling the 650B option for the Classique as well. That Crema look sweet!