Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Your latest bike project?

Have been meaning to start this thread for awhile.

I am working on a 24" MTB project for my son.

Starting with a Kona Hula frame that was given by a friend.

Project goals:
    - convert to disc brakes
    - drop ~10lbs (original bike just under 30lbs, goal 20lbs)
    - as much as possible do the build with my son -- the recipient of this bike (including the wheels; he's good at helping lace).

Original frame, stripped down:

This A2Z adapter looks promising. I might modify it and drill into frame dropout if I am not able to easily solve the unit rotating when braking while rolling backwards (I know this will be an issue otherwise):

Committed:

2. ELITE sjclaeys, Vicegrip ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice! He is one lucky kid.

Though if you find yourself searching the interwebs for miniature clipless pedals, you might ask yourself if you're going overboard.

Liz

4. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post

Though if you find yourself searching the interwebs for miniature clipless pedals, you might ask yourself if you're going overboard.

Liz
    Yes! :-) I am certainly going overbroad as it is, but I am stopping shy of clipless pedals! (I don't think there are clipless shoes that would fit him yet anyway.)

Post Thanks / Like

Liz
    While teaching my kids welding basics I discovered no one made kid size welding safety equipment. Go figure.......

7. Likes hozn liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So you think a pair of SPDs is crazier than hacking off brake bosses and installing a disc brake adapter that requires drilling into the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes FFX_Hinterlands, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    So you think a pair of SPDs is crazier than hacking off brake bosses and installing a disc brake adapter that requires drilling into the frame?
    Hey, man, every gram counts.

Post Thanks / Like

You jest but apparently many tandem teams like clipless pedals for keeping kids' feet in place (see http://www.precisiontandems.com/art16moolddiary.htm). We still have simple platforms on our tandem but one of the first protocols we had to develop was communicating when a kid foot comes off and coordinating getting back on the pedal.

12. Likes hozn, dkel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hozn. Email sent. Looks like many ways to fine tune to the bike. Simplest one that works is often the best too.

Thread derail continued. I found that a tandem is a great way to teach clipping in and out. The Capt. mounts and holds the bike while the stoker loads up. This gives the stoker time to foot fumble around and get used to clipping in. On dismount the stoker dismounts while the Capt. holds the bike steady so no "forgot to unclip" flops. My stoker was always slipping her feet off the pedals before we switched to some eggbeaters.

14. Likes ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be fair, the adapter doesn't require drilling into the frame (most people don't), but I might mount it that way as a simple way to increase functionality. I am gonna visit Vicegrip to formulate a plan.

Hacking off the brake bosses is purely aesthetic; they really don't weigh much. (It is being repainted anyway.) And I am committed to 24" Stans Crest rims, which have no brake surface. (So if the adapter ends up being a bad idea, I will just wait for a disc-brake frame to come up on eBay.)
    Last edited by hozn; 05-20-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Vicegrip helped me out today, among other things, brought my brake-boss dremeling up to professional-grade. (Everything about Vicegrip's shop is professional grade.)

17. Likes eminva, ShawnoftheDread liked this post