ELITE ELITE:  17
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Ritchey Commando, Step 1 - Frame Savering
    Step 2 - Put parts on frame and take a picture

Ritchey Commando Fat Bike by ricky d, on Flickr

I left the steerer tube long, then kinda sorta tried to hide its ugliness with a feedbag. Chain, brake and shifter cables are all too long, but want to make sure that the fit is dialed in before I do any chopping.

Did a 20-miler on the C&O today; it's a comfy ride... and to be expected when you have 4" of rubber underneath ya. Oh yeah, before the ride, I took off the 4.8" Surly Bud because it's unnecessarily massive for anything outside of snowy conditions. The Van Helga rear is also super knobby, so off it went. Both were replaced by Specialized Fast Traks 4.0, which have lower knobs and way less rolling resistance.

Commando on the C&O by ricky d, on Flickr
    Last edited by drevil; 05-12-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Step 2 - Put parts on frame and take a picture
    Need to be able to Like this. That is a sweet bike. Are you going to need a new frame pack?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Excited to watch this build!

Also, making me wonder if I should pick up / apply some framesaver for my [second-hand] Hayduke. Probably not a bad idea.
    I looked all over town for some Framesaver for my new Long Haul Trucker frame to no avail. It used to be available at the old Revolution stores. Ended up ordering it from Niagara. Do you know where to buy it locally?

hozn is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    I looked all over town for some Framesaver for my new Long Haul Trucker frame to no avail. It used to be available at the old Revolution stores. Ended up ordering it from Niagara. Do you know where to buy it locally?
    No, sorry; I also ordered it online last time I had a steel frame MTB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Need to be able to Like this. That is a sweet bike. Are you going to need a new frame pack?
    Yes, and right now, I'm thinking of making it myself. I was gifted an old sewing machine last XMas, and making bags for the bike was something I'd always wanted to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't able to find Framesaver either a while back. Got the Boeing T-9 instead. So far, none of the steel steeds have collapsed under me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I wasn't able to find Framesaver either a while back. Got the Boeing T-9 instead. So far, none of the steel steeds have collapsed under me.
    I know it's just one teensy data point, but here's one guy's results with Boeshield: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ant...l#post13653422
    (#4 is the Boeshield)

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff, have a like. Oh wait.

Anyway, Framesaver also not doing that great. Anything perhaps better than nothing, although he didn't do a base case. Might have been interesting; what if the base case were better than T-9?

Might need to think about a different product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Good stuff, have a like. Oh wait.

Anyway, Framesaver also not doing that great. Anything perhaps better than nothing, although he didn't do a base case. Might have been interesting; what if the base case were better than T-9?

Might need to think about a different product.
    Haha, I noticed that too. I wonder if the other stuff is super gummy though, which ain't so great either. Just fill the tubes with Great Stuff and be done with it

hozn is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    So, I have a couple of in-progress kid bike projects. They are slow loving because I am constrained by birthdays. My wife doesn't think it makes sense to give presents as large as bicycles "just because".
    My wife and I decided that we don't want to set a tradition of bike birthday presents, so bikes can be given outside of birthdays. I think this makes perfect sense -- Plus my son has decided that for his next-year sport activity he's going to do junior CX team, so he kinda needs a 'cross bike for joining in the road rides, etc.

Claimed weight is 21lbs; I haven't weighed it (I haven't even fully assembled it.). This really is a brilliant bike. The disc brakes open up lots of opportunities for having it serve different purposes. I will be exploiting that heavily as I look to fit larger wheels than the oddball British "24-inch" 540 etrto stock wheels.
    Actual weight is 22lbs.

Goals of this project are

(1) to improve the brakes to something that can be stopped quickly with (hopefully) single-finger braking -- with small hands -- from the drops. Better calipers, better housing, better rotors.
    The Yokozuna Motoko (Juin Tech R1) calipers are nice. Not as nice as full hydro, as everyone will note, but they grab hard.

(2) Convert to a wheel size that actually has non-wheelchair tires available.
    The new 26" (559 ETRTO) wheels fit great and are super light. Even with Isla's fancy 31-559 CX tires (could fit larger tires too, but there aren't a wealth of CX options -- still, it's a whole lot better than the 540 ETRTO size!)

(3) to bring that weight down to something respectable for a road bike, even with the disc brakes. Less than 1/3 my son's weight (60lbs) seems reasonable. Well shoot for 17lbs and see how close we get.
    That was bold; if the actual weight was 21lbs, we would have gotten there. But from 22lbs we dropped the weight to 17.3lbs.

Most importantly, my son loves his new bike!