Likes Likes:  280
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  17
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Build done! This is the first build I've done where I've pressed in the headset and cut the steerer myself. I managed to get the star nut in mostly straight, but I'm thinking that's a tool-worthy job—unless someone has an alternative to getting the actual tool, cuz that biz is like twenty bucks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	14749
    I have the Park tool, but before I got it, I used to install star nuts with a deep socket, like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59987891.ghettotool.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	14757

(Not my pic, btw.)

Post Thanks / Like

Makeover on the Classique Viaje is done. Converted to SRAM 1x (38 chain ring 11/42 cassette), hydro brakes, Stans 650b Crest S1s, and WTB byway road+ tires in a 47 set up tubeless. Nowhere this bike can't go now.

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday, I traded an old bike for a slightly less old 1997 Kona Hei Hei Titanium (26" wheel) frame, 2 forks (the SID and a rigid fork), 3 wheelsets, 4 high end v-brakes, and box full of other goodies. I now have my super-duper townie I've always wanted to build for cheap

I was up until past midnight building it to be ready for the DC Bike Ride a few hours later. The Rock Shox SID will take a hiatus while the rigid fork does townie duty because it'll accept a light weight rack.

1997 Kona Hei Hei Titanium by ricky d, on Flickr

Oh, and those grips - although they look awesome - after an hour or two, it feels like you're clutching a bunch of nails. The white stars are a harder durometer rubber than the red rubber, and the point of each star digs into your palms. They're going to be swapped for something less flashy but more comfy.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KayakCyndi View Post
    Makeover on the Classique Viaje is done. Converted to SRAM 1x (38 chain ring 11/42 cassette), hydro brakes, Stans 650b Crest S1s, and WTB byway road+ tires in a 47 set up tubeless. Nowhere this bike can't go now.
    What is the purpose of moving to 650b? Lowering center of gravity?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    What is the purpose of moving to 650b? Lowering center of gravity?
    650b + big tires like that (those are 47mm) is roughly same diameter as 700x28c. So you get similar gearing + standover, etc. as a road bike with a whole lot more traction/off-road-ability and comfort. 650b rims will also weigh a bit less, which helps offset the weight of those bigger tires too.

I'm curious to try this on my frame, but want to find a way to test for the necessary frame clearance before taking the plunge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I'm curious to try this on my frame, but want to find a way to test for the necessary frame clearance before taking the plunge.
    Put Cyndi's wheels on your bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Put Cyndi's wheels on your bike.
    Of course Hans is welcome to do that but he needs thru-axle and specs that I don't have. But just to test fit, anytime.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course Hans is welcome to do that but he needs thru-axle and specs that I don't have. But just to test fit, anytime.
    :-) Yeah, I guess if it's not tight, then I could probably just borrow someone's ( yours! :-) ) QR 650b wheelset and position it close enough to confirm. I may try to find some measured diameters and cross sections and just make a model of the tire profile, etc. and use a tape measure. I should be able to prove this out with enough confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you like the tires? A little more tread than WTB Horizons, looks like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    How do you like the tires? A little more tread than WTB Horizons, looks like?
    This is just day one. They roll nicely on pavement. I'll have to report back once I get them out on the canal, Loudoun gravel and/or local mtb trails ....