Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

Post Thanks / Like

some more pix.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hbar2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	14680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sturmeyarcher.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	14681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	millergenset.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	14682

2. Likes Harry Meatmotor, vern, americancyclo liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^Ohhhhh. You're not planning on riding her and getting her all messed up are you?! I think you should hang her in your living room. Great job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    You're not planning on riding her and getting her all messed up are you?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    It is a guy too. No pomp, no muss no Rules.
    Beautiful restoration! That gem begs to be ridden.
    Last edited by ginacico; 05-01-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    ^^^Ohhhhh. You're not planning on riding her and getting her all messed up are you?! I think you should hang her in your living room. Great job!
    That might put me over the S-1 limit. This one will get a front row hang space in the shop and be ridden now and then. As a compromise I was planning on it being a sunny day bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Beautiful restoration! That gem begs to be ridden.
    Agree. First ride was W&OD out to Green Lizard for coffee. 30 miles round trip and I found that while you earn every mile on a DL-1 it is still a good ride. Bolt upright in the saddle, great vision all around and it would be the cheater setup in a danger panda comp. Not going to be crushing any Strava KOMs but I suspect you could hop off and run along next to it on a gravel road and not see it get the wobbles. This bike is the counterweight to my Tarmac*. They are polar opp of each other in composition and disposition.

*Actually it would be the counter weight to a couple of Tarmacs and then some.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 05-01-2017 at 06:42 AM.

6. Likes KLizotte, ginacico, Harry Meatmotor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Making progress on my Holdsworth build, but ran into a problem today: the serrated bracket that compresses against the top of the seatpost has frozen to the seatpost! I can get the single bolt out, and the upper bracket and saddle come right off, but the lower bracket is on there good and firm. I banged on it with a mallet to no avail; the weird thing is that I put plenty of grease on it when I assembled it years ago, and I can still see grease on the surfaces that aren't pinched against each other. Anyway, it wouldn't matter except that the STA on the old bike was 72, but on the new bike it's 74, so the saddle is pitched too far forward. Any suggestions how to get these things apart?

In other news: $8 spent at the hardware store and now I have a bitchin' headset press that worked like a charm on the new headset!

8. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not exactly sure which two parts you are referring to? Maybe you have a picture?

For two metal pieces you might try freezing it with canned air sprayed upside down. You might have a can around for huffing or cleaning your keyboard. The cooling will contract the metal if you spray the part that needs to be smaller and break it loose. The rubber mallet will come in handy too.

Soaking it with penetrating lubricant might work also, I like NAPA brand.

10. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh. I had put the whole thing in the freezer just after I wrote my last post, and when I went downstairs to take a picture of it so as to clarify what parts I was having trouble with, I took it out of the freezer and whacked it with the mallet...ping! It came apart, no fuss. So, problem solved, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Build done! This is the first build I've done where I've pressed in the headset and cut the steerer myself. I managed to get the star nut in mostly straight, but I'm thinking that's a tool-worthy job—unless someone has an alternative to getting the actual tool, cuz that biz is like twenty bucks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	14749

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Build done! This is the first build I've done where I've pressed in the headset and cut the steerer myself. I managed to get the star nut in mostly straight, but I'm thinking that's a tool-worthy job—unless someone has an alternative to getting the actual tool, cuz that biz is like twenty bucks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	14749
    I have a star nut installer you can borrow if you need. I agree; that job needs a tool. I did it once or twice without but never got it very straight.

Beautiful build!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I have a star nut installer you can borrow if you need. I agree; that job needs a tool. I did it once or twice without but never got it very straight.
    I got it straight enough, but I can tell it's not perfect. This is the fourth build that I've done at least most of the work on myself, and I can say with confidence that I'm not very good at it! The builds all turn out fine, but it takes me a very long time, and I often have to do a job and then redo it because I realize I forgot some detail. This time I set up my brakes and then realized I had left the levers open like I was going to take out the wheel; I had to unclamp the cables, reset the levers correctly, reclamp the cables, and retune the calipers. So stupid...still, it's fun to do it myself!

15. Likes hozn, huskerdont liked this post