Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Your latest bike project?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I chickened out and let out the air :-) it wasn't the risk of sealant everywhere as much as the risk it was incurring to my brake hoods (reservoirs), pushing them against the top of case.

I can run with tubes until I am able to swing by the bike shop and borrow their floor pump.
    As it turned out, I was able to re-seat my tubeless tires with my little Lezyne hand pump. I have to say that while the DT Swiss R460db rims are pretty nondescript (18mm internal width, not especially deep), they are probably the easiest-to-seat tubeless rims I have ever used.

And I guess my brakes were well-bled since they worked just fine after the flight.

My shoes are still creaking a bit, but the frame couplers have been great. I do get a creak in my bike when my rear axle comes a quarter turn loose. I wonder if this needs a bit of grease between axle/hub; I will try that out as it shouldn't be loosening.

I did decide to have Waltly build me a twin frame w/o couplers, though. Probably a little over-impulsive/excessive, but I think on balance it is worth having the coupler frame as a spare; I'll just leave it packed. I'll get an extra BB and headset and then moving parts between one frame and the other should be a sub-hour affair.

I did actually increase the downtube to 38mm (from 35mm, which was a restriction of their available coupler sizes); that wasn't considered a significant design change so it didn't affect the discounted price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4768.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	15337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4773.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	15338

Edit: I also have almost decided that my road bike can be replaced with a set of spare wheels for my gravel bike.
    Last edited by hozn; 08-09-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Lemond Zurich in July of 2001 when my first road bike, an entry-level Cannondale, was stolen. The Zurich that year was a popular bike, and I saw a lot of yellow-and-blue Zurichs out on the roads. I raced that bike and did some triathlons on it. The top photo was taken in November 2002 before or after a ride in southern MD (I still have that same car, too).

A couple years after I bought the Lemond, I bought a carbon bike. I still rode the Lemond, but the paint wasn't in good condition, so I decided to get it painted. At this point, it was a commuter bike, so I only wanted a utilitarian finish -- so black it was. I put a lot of miles commuting on that bike, and I would often ride it on Fridays. After a week of riding my heavy, fat-tired commuter bikes, it felt great to ride a road bike with only my messenger bag on my back. In the meantime, I overhauled my Chris King hubs and headsets, and they're still going strong. The middle picture shows it in this configuration, complete with reflective tape.

The utilitarian paint job was also cheap, and it came to get it painted again. I found a guy in Richmond who builds and paints frames. I took it down to him in June, and he dropped it off today. I wasn't particular about the color, and more or less let him talk me into whatever he wanted. The bottom picture shows the coppery-orange color. I'm going to build it back up, but I'm starting to think that now it's a bit too nice to be a knock-around commuter, and may save it for nice days when I'm feeling a bit retro.

Name:	Roll 16 - 3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	15356

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	15357

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	15358
    Last edited by trailrunner; 08-09-2017 at 06:27 PM.

3. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Latest upgrade project became two projects. Most importantly, I'm upgrading my Cervelo to Ultegra Di2 for my birthday. I don't have the mech yet, but I started the prep work, and upgraded the brakes while I was at it. I already have Ultegra wheels, so I'll be full Ultegra (excepting the Rotor crank) when it's all done.

The new mech for the Cervelo will go on on Wednesday, but the wires and junction boxes are shipping from Germany, so hard to say if they'll be here by then.
    After a few weeks of waiting, my package never came from Germany, so I went ahead and bought from the US and will just return the German parts if they ever come. Once I had everything, setting up Di2 was pretty easy. Thankfully my frame has cable stops that are riveted through the carbon fiber, and in spots that were perfect for running the wires internally. So I just drilled out the rivets (as opposed to drilling fresh holes in the carbon fiber, eek) and was good to go. After updating the firmware for everything and adjusting the limits on the front derailleur, everything was buttery smooth. Took it for a short ride today and it works awesome. Now I just have to take some time to set up the synchro-shift features and I'll be all set.

5. Likes huskerdont, hozn, Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the new frame arrived, and as expected it is exactly like the coupler frame (the only difference -- besides lack of couplers -- is the larger 38mm down tube). I love this frame; Waltly did another fantastic job. 1809g for the frame, for those that are curious about such things (coupler frame weighs 1980g, so couplers don't add a lot of weight). ... And so now I have a spare frame (and one that's in a case for next business trip). Rough life.

Last edited by hozn; 09-06-2017 at 05:48 PM.

7. Likes Harry Meatmotor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    After a few weeks of waiting, my package never came from Germany, so I went ahead and bought from the US and will just return the German parts if they ever come. Once I had everything, setting up Di2 was pretty easy. Thankfully my frame has cable stops that are riveted through the carbon fiber, and in spots that were perfect for running the wires internally. So I just drilled out the rivets (as opposed to drilling fresh holes in the carbon fiber, eek) and was good to go. After updating the firmware for everything and adjusting the limits on the front derailleur, everything was buttery smooth. Took it for a short ride today and it works awesome. Now I just have to take some time to set up the synchro-shift features and I'll be all set.

Syncro is de bomb. I have been riding with DI-2 for a long time and syncro has made it even better. Tap up through the gears and the bike shifts small ring to large ring and down two cogs, oh so smooth and both at almost the same time. No cross chaining and uses the true ratios availble in order. The system times the double just right to maintain calm in the shift action and not have the jerks or skips in the chain line movement. Takes a ride or so to get used to it but it becomes second nature and i don't even think or hesitate as the double shift is going on. Coming to a stop while in the big ring? Tap the left hand down button to drop to the little ring and you are all set to reset. Restart in the small ring and as you tap your way back up to speed the bike will do the small ring to big ring at the right time.

Yes, we humans can do just this. DI-2 does it as well as the best and does it just the silky smooth same every single time. And you can shift cleanly while grabbing 2 handfulls of brake.

9. Likes Judd, TwoWheelsDC, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the new frame arrived, and as expected it is exactly like the coupler frame (the only difference -- besides lack of couplers -- is the larger 38mm down tube). I love this frame; Waltly did another fantastic job. 1809g for the frame, for those that are curious about such things (coupler frame weighs 1980g, so couplers don't add a lot of weight). ... And so now I have a spare frame (and one that's in a case for next business trip). Rough life.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/I_-uoqAv23XVnQcF9bTm6TnTjLkA74XnutoTByhjySJF0FboM7tHa UYr5kX7TSVzmvPyQvSOrNixP3hvx-xLKM2BuzeS1VDHSE_5z2bE6DSoIxvqYpBdyknx6PK3IO7ky4g6 runzwit_fOzNgpST48wg5M-tL6UwG9xeSm3pmCOK_6NeDrG2lnMQOb62lduxolKtgaBxYUOjx U0uHQvmP1pl4EQt0utEhUMpc7ihOHXjJo-V_2XgOihz8lGDxaRbm6LslJJbfvWU0oAI0mbB7iq0Q2MQjvo7m LBc7YU6qE2OEwD19EIXzFme4Be0wgycS5038D25ifh1m6tWn-11VDLIyINJiViz9IWmL7RDqi37TXlY_OjShL7r1DTaZrLl_oI4 Ebo2NAHgYDH_03K_u3TgFvel_S4OIK-OR8MNfF6DyvUiALYtNEHnYr3QARLvpeK5usLjHRPGA5u25sUMw EJJix67nb02Vy2LhLiOdnf6XcyGmizwiY_kgtqts1M6HngnoFl ab82Kyt7nS5bDAcDjaPQxqKh02sTu0pjKSSwcGbSOyGwEN-C9b3Twm02QWT6DrUmxYagre2KenMkoItf6OGhJHFeO3q97ZprB HCHrW4zaIOOxMA=w1619-h1214-no
    Picture no workie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Picture no workie.
    Thanks! - replaced with a Tapatalk upload.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! - replaced with a Tapatalk upload.
    Very nice.

13. Likes hozn liked this post