Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I figured out that the squeaking on my shoes is actually the rubber tread rubbing against the pedal. I filed it down and now it is completely cured for the right shoe -- and is better, but needs a bit more filing, on the left.
    Did you remove enough material so that the only contact between the shoe and the pedal is at the cleat? Or is the filed area just a different, less squeaky texture now?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Did you remove enough material so that the only contact between the shoe and the pedal is at the cleat? Or is the filed area just a different, less squeaky texture now?
    Yeah, that was my intent -- only contact being the cleat and then the (carbon) around the clear of course. I will shave off a bit more on the left shoe.
    Last edited by hozn; 06-24-2017 at 09:01 PM.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just posted my new bike in the other thread, but figured my old bike could go here. Swapped cranks and the wheelset with the new bike (stuff from my old bike was better) and converted this into an all-weather commuter. Also threw on a set of SKS Longboards and a rack I had lying around and now it's ready for action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Just posted my new bike in the other thread, but figured my old bike could go here. Swapped cranks and the wheelset with the new bike (stuff from my old bike was better) and converted this into an all-weather commuter. Also threw on a set of SKS Longboards and a rack I had lying around and now it's ready for action.

It is definitely cool enough to get its own call out!
    Last edited by hozn; 06-25-2017 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Oops realized after photo loaded that this is the complementary bike!

5. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Well, I took off the coupler and cleaned it out -- it was really dirty in there, lubed it with the flu grease and tightened it with the new -- much better -- tool from S&S and it has been perfectly quiet now. Including all 5+ hours of HBR today. So I believe the problem is dirt -- or maybe never getting a clean coupler contact on account of dirt.

I saw that S&S actually puts a big warning to cover the couplers on wet or dirty rides. Seems excessive, but I took preventative measures today!
    All great to hear (and I elited your post for the picture)!!

7. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Practice packing. This is actually not how I will pack the bike, but it was an early learning attempt. Cassette side down worked better and I flipped it so that the hydro levers are not pressing against the bottom of the case. I also ended up removing the fork. I don't think that was completely necessary, but it let things fit together a little more compact and only adds a couple minutes to reassembly.

The case bulges out a tiny bit, but I think I am going to leave [just enough] air in my (30mm) tires. It is risky; I could open it up to a mess of sealant on the other side, but I really don't want to lose tubeless (I am pretty sure I cannot reseat those tires with a hand pump).

9. Likes vvill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea if this matters, but I wonder what happens to the air pressure in the tires in the ascent/descent to 35K feet?

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    I have no idea if this matters, but I wonder what happens to the air pressure in the tires in the ascent/descent to 35K feet?
    My understanding is that it rises by about 10-20 psi, generally not enough to really matter - but enough that you don't necessarily want 80+ PSI in tires, or much more than 35psi in say, gravel tubeless ones. I just deflate mine a bit.

12. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It stays the same*. The air pressure outside of the tire air chamber drops. The sun does not go down the horizon goes up. The most it could drop is 14.7 psi but if that happens that is the least of your worries as the aircraft is no longer in the earths atmosphere. OTOH the view would great! If I had tubeless I might drop the pressure a bit but not much. There is a risk of having a bead be pushed on by some other bike part or other luggage, unseat and drool tire slime all over the bike.

* I bet the internal pressure does drop a little as the air temps in the hold will drop.

14. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    Assuming no change in temperature, the absolute pressure in the tire doesn't change, but the the gauge pressure (pressure relative to the ambient, or atmosphere) will change. On the ground, the ambient pressure is 14.7 psi, so even if you were to fly to vacuum of outer space where the ambient pressure is zero, the gauge pressure of the tire will increase 14.7 psi.