Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    My coupler frame makes no noise at all, it behaves exactly like a solid steel frame. It has not had a tendency to wiggle loose. My guess, or at least my hope, is that it's not your couplers driving you nuts. I'm not sure what would cause that, but if that's indeed what's making the noise and it's happening with annoying frequency I'd talk to your frame builder. Noise means friction, and that's a concern.

A loaded down frame and/or hard riding would logically put stress on the couplers. So with the travel bikes we've just made it part of our pre-ride ABCD routine (A=air, B=brakes, C=couplers, D=drivetrain) to check the tightness and occasionally re-check if we're out for multiple days. Only one time that I recall, mine started to loosen after a couple days, an odd noise is what alerted me, and I just tightened it up with my S&S spanner wrench. Obviously it's a danger if it comes apart!

For maintenance, I did buy the high-fluo-crazy-expensive grease. I've only applied it once or twice, and sparingly; at this rate I suspect that one tube will last me the life of the bike. And I only close the couplers hand-tight, I don't really torque down on them for fear of stripping the threads.

Noises suck! I hope you can hunt them down.
    Thanks, gina. Yeah, I haven't spent any more time playing with this. I did order an S&S tool, as the one that I have looks a bit homemade and slips easily (I don't really want to add any more scratches to my couplers). So I will take it apart, make sure it's all cleaned out and then retighten it once I get that tool. Since it has been quiet for the most part, I'm fairly confident I can get it that way again. But needing to service it with any regularity would certainly be an annoyance.

I'm glad that yours doesn't make any noise and that additional care & feeding isn't something people just accept as part of riding a coupler frame.

This might well prove to be a case where maybe the prudent thing would have been to let the actual experts do the S&S part and let Waltly stick to the frame construction. (The couplers themselves were not significantly cheaper from Waltly. If S&S were less restrictive in how they sell their couplers, I would have strongly considered just buying some and sending them to Waltly for the build). It's a bit crazy that Waltly custom fabricates the couplers for every frame; I imagine this takes some pretty specialized tooling to get things within tight tolerances. I also suspect they don't do that many of these frames compared to their standard business. Anyway, I'm happy to ride and race on the frame now (I'm doing Hilly Billy Roubaix on it this weekend!) and I assume it'll travel great. I'm hopeful that with a bit more attention to detail on cleaning out the couplers, applying the correct grease, etc. I can quiet any noises more permanently. (I might try anomad's suggestion of using assembly paste, but probably would just do that on the notched coupler interface and not on the threads).
    Last edited by hozn; 06-21-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My first wheel build!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	15037

2-speed kick shift hub. Works great! I actually took the wheel by Bikenetic to have them check that I had the spokes tensioned enough, and to my surprise, I had it dead on and very even across the wheel. Both Jan and Brian said, "you're hired!" Which I take as a high compliment!

So, what should I do next...?

3. Likes Sunyata, Rod Smith, ginacico, hozn, Steve O and 1 others liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post

So, what should I do next...?
    Um...ride it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Um...ride it?
    Wrong... Drop it off at my house for a couple of weeks for a safety inspection.

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh! I mean what project should I undertake next? Anyone need a wheel built?

Post Thanks / Like

Sigh! I mean what project should I undertake next? Anyone need a wheel built?
    I want to learn more about the wheel build! Did you use tone/sound or a tensionometer/deflection gauge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I want to learn more about the wheel build! Did you use tone/sound or a tensionometer/deflection gauge?
    First, I bought the Roger Musson book you recommended, which is great. I followed his advice for everything regarding the process. When it came time for final tensioning, I got it to where I thought it should be, then compared it to other wheels at my house; I found by listening to the tone of the spokes and by squeezing some pairs that I had a way to go before the wheel was tensioned enough. So I did more work and compared again, and found it was pretty similar to other wheels; that's when I took it to Bikenetic for a second opinion. They used a tension gauge and said I was right on. Equalizing tension on the spokes throughout the process made the job pretty easy, as did going slowly and incrementally with the whole process. This was an easy build, though, because the rim was drilled symmetrically and the hub didn't require an asymmetrical dish, so I only needed one spoke length for the whole wheel. The only thing I messed up was that I got distracted when figuring out how to align the hub label with the valve stem: I got it figured out, but then was so focused on holding the rim and the hub while manipulating the spokes, I just forgot to pay attention to what I had planned to do to get it lined up. I didn't realize till the whole thing was laced that I had ignored my plan and gotten the label off to one side. That's just a cosmetic thing, though, and the machine-built wheel on the front of the bike isn't lined up either, so I guess it matches. It was fun to do, and I'd welcome an opportunity to go again.
    Last edited by dkel; 06-23-2017 at 01:17 PM.

9. Likes hozn liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize till the whole thing was laced that I had ignored my plan and gotten the label off to one side.
    Well now we have the answer to what you should do next.

11. Likes Judd, Steve O, hozn, dkel liked this post
    Dislikes dkel disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Anyway, I'm happy to ride and race on the frame now (I'm doing Hilly Billy Roubaix on it this weekend!) and I assume it'll travel great. I'm hopeful that with a bit more attention to detail on cleaning out the couplers, applying the correct grease, etc. I can quiet any noises more permanently.
    Well, I took off the coupler and cleaned it out -- it was really dirty in there, lubed it with the flu grease and tightened it with the new -- much better -- tool from S&S and it has been perfectly quiet now. Including all 5+ hours of HBR today. So I believe the problem is dirt -- or maybe never getting a clean coupler contact on account of dirt.

I saw that S&S actually puts a big warning to cover the couplers on wet or dirty rides. Seems excessive, but I took preventative measures today!

13. ELITE ginacico ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My main point of confusion is why it would squeak some days and not others. Humidity? Road dust? My soles are not carbon, so it doesn't seem to be materials exclusive.
    I figured out that the squeaking on my shoes is actually the rubber tread rubbing against the pedal. I filed it down and now it is completely cured for the right shoe -- and is better, but needs a bit more filing, on the left.

15. Likes dkel liked this post