Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Your latest bike project?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post

I think that'll be the final version.
    And it's finished!

Post Thanks / Like

Is that titanium? I genuinely interested in how this turns out for you as a complete bike. Forgive me if I didn't follow the thread completely. But you had this welded up to your specs in Asia?

I couldn't help but notice by the geometry chart that we're pretty close on size. What are your final saddle height and set back numbers? I run about 83-84 centimeters saddle height (top of saddle to BB center) and about 5 centimeters from the nose to the BB center (depending on saddle and bike of course). My favorite bike has a 58.5 cm center to center top tube length, but also a fairly long 120mm stem. My other favorite bike has a virtual 60cm top tube length.
    Last edited by anomad; 04-07-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: I see Walty in the diagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Is that titanium? I genuinely interested in how this turns out for you as a complete bike. Forgive me if I didn't follow the thread completely. But you had this welded up to your specs in Asia?

I couldn't help but notice by the geometry chart that we're pretty close on size. What are your final saddle height and set back numbers? I run about 83-84 centimeters saddle height (top of saddle to BB center) and about 5 centimeters from the nose to the BB center (depending on saddle and bike of course). My favorite bike has a 58.5 cm center to center top tube length, but also a fairly long 120mm stem. My other favorite bike has a virtual 60cm top tube length.
    Yeah, this will be my second bike from Waltly Titanium (http://www.waltlytitanium.com/). I have been really happy with my ti disc road bike so I figured I would use them again for this frame idea.

Yes, my ideal STA is right around 73.5 which puts saddle nose between 5.5-6.5cm back from BB. My center of BB to top.of saddle is right around 82cm. My road bike is 58cm ETT with a 110mm stem. I like my current (Habanero Cycles) commuter which has a 59cm ETT with a 100mm stem. I am not entirely sure why people always size down for cross frames; I prefer shorter stems there. But then I use mine more like a gravel frame.

So, yeah, it sounds like we are close in size; I might be a bit shorter dimension or just prefer things more compact upper-body-wise.

Now that this frame is done (once built up), I am going to sell my titanium hab cycles frame + Spot fork + primary wheelset + spare-for-parts-monstercross2017-dented-my-rims-wheelset. I have loved hab cycles frame, but don't have space to n+1.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you may remember My fixed gear project. That bike was never quite big enough for me, but since that frame just fell in my lap, I was glad to putz around with it, especially since it was the first bike I built up myself. Well, lately I've been looking for an inexpensive, SS-ready, chromoly frame to swap in so I can get some use out of the components again, and I finally found this on Planet X. I had been looking at State Bicycle for a while, but the only steel framesets they are currently offering are their Simpsons themed frames, which aren't quite what I'm looking for; I'm also too lazy to troll used offerings till I see something that will work. The Holdsworth is very inexpensive, will take the component mashup I currently have (except for the headset), and isn't a bad looking bike, especially for the price. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm pretty close, unless one of you gurus can come up with a better option at a similar price point.

On a related topic, I'm thinking of building my first wheel for this bike, using a Sturmey S2 kick-shift two-speed hub. Anyone have any experience riding one of those?

5. ELITE Phatboing ELITED this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Some of you may remember My fixed gear project. That bike was never quite big enough for me, but since that frame just fell in my lap, I was glad to putz around with it, especially since it was the first bike I built up myself. Well, lately I've been looking for an inexpensive, SS-ready, chromoly frame to swap in so I can get some use out of the components again, and I finally found this on Planet X. I had been looking at State Bicycle for a while, but the only steel framesets they are currently offering are their Simpsons themed frames, which aren't quite what I'm looking for; I'm also too lazy to troll used offerings till I see something that will work. The Holdsworth is very inexpensive, will take the component mashup I currently have (except for the headset), and isn't a bad looking bike, especially for the price. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm pretty close, unless one of you gurus can come up with a better option at a similar price point.

On a related topic, I'm thinking of building my first wheel for this bike, using a Sturmey S2 kick-shift two-speed hub. Anyone have any experience riding one of those?
    Look into the Pake Rumrunner, which is generally highly regarded and seemingly within your budget...you'll need to get the fork separately though, but that's easy enough. Would also allow you to get a disc fork if you wanted to really go wild. Fixed gear with hyrdos!

https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...m-runner-frame

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the Rum Runner, but was a little put off by having to get the fork separately. It also has a slightly more aggressive geometry than I was looking for, but that's me being picky. I do like the bare metal look of the "dirty nickel" option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I saw the Rum Runner, but was a little put off by having to get the fork separately. It also has a slightly more aggressive geometry than I was looking for, but that's me being picky. I do like the bare metal look of the "dirty nickel" option.
    I just love: "no bottle bosses". Brilliant. So it's a bike designed for trips that last 30 minutes or less.

Post Thanks / Like

I just love: "no bottle bosses". Brilliant. So it's a bike designed for trips that last 30 minutes or less.
    I noticed that too. One of the problems I have been having is that frames with track fork ends tend to be track bikes: either they have track geometry rather than road geometry, or they are high on style and low on functionality, or both. SS road bikes tend to be expensive: i.e. $500+ for a frameset rather than $200. This is a cheap build, so I'm not going to go overboard on a frame.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the 106 mile Tour of Richmond on my Cinelli with no bottle cages....that's what jersey pockets are for!

11. Likes kwarkentien, dkel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I did the 106 mile Tour of Richmond on my Cinelli with no bottle cages....that's what jersey pockets are for!
    Or hose clamps for the a aesthetically ambivalent. Or rivnuts for the gutsy.

13. Likes hozn liked this post