Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Your latest bike project?

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    First new bike in several years:

The frame came up for sale on the FB marketplace group and it was priced right and my size, so I couldn't resist. Motobecane Century Ti, built with Ultegra 8000 and a motley collection of other parts. I moved out to Leesburg a month ago and wanted something to handle the unpaved roads out here better than my road bike.
    Nice! We need bigger/zoomed-in bike pics! All that farmland countryside is detracting from the bike photo :-)

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 Transition Patrol. It's not quite ready (cables need to cut) but I'm stoked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7046.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	15670

Name:	IMG_7047.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	15671

4. Likes vern, hozn liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    2018 Transition Patrol. It's not quite ready (cables need to cut) but I'm stoked.

Name:	IMG_7046.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	15670

Name:	IMG_7047.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	15671
    YES! You are going to own ALL of the rocks.

You need to be taller so I can borrow your bikes.

6. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    YES! You are going to own ALL of the rocks.

You need to be taller so I can borrow your bikes.
    It was fun to build - came as a bare frame (with shock) and then rest was in little boxes. We had to do all the cable routing, cut the steerer tube, press the headset etc. I helped as much as I could but mostly I hovered.

Name:	bare frame.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	15676

Name:	engineered2party.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	15677

Name:	almostdone.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	15678

8. Likes Harry Meatmotor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Picked this out of a neighbor's trash. The components are pretty rough. While my 4yo already has an Isla to use for next spring, I think I am gonna turn this into another kid project bike since I don't have any other projects planned for the winter.

I am going to try to keep the budget down on this one. Wheels really mess with the budget.

So, just using the frame, possibly the headset and probably the saddle. Right now I am thinking:
    - strip paint, sand/polish and use an auto-wheel clear coat rattle can for a raw aluminum look.
    - ebay carbon fork. $80-110. Lots of 20" forks, but most aren't really suspension corrected, so wondering if it will mess with geo too much. But the RST fork is a boat anchor.
    - a2z adapter again for disc brake. Found one for $25.
    - Shimano hydro disc brakes, probably lower-end. Hoping to get a set for sub $50.
    - still more research needed on rims/hubs for the wheels. Tubeless is strongly desired (hopefully the 2.1" Kenda SB8 tires can also be run tubeless).
    Thanks to Vicegrip's generous help, this frame is looking pretty good.

- removed the kickstand plate
    - removed brake bosses
    - replaced missing rivnut for bottle cage
    - tapped the a2z disc brake adapter and bolted that through the rack/fender mounts.

I am considering having this powder coated after all. Right now the plan is gold for a "Thor" theme (red, gold, silver). Mjölnir badging on the down tube. That may not still be my son's favorite character/role model once he's big enough to ride this, though.

So far he biggest "oops" was not measuring the rear spacing. I assumed 135 since it is kinda mtb-like, but it is 130. Luckily 130mm disc hubs are on clearance from Bdop (Novatec).

I'm planning to do a 16h paired-spoke lacing for the wheels (32h rims and hubs -- really hard to find 20" rims with less than 32h). That should be more than enough for this little rider and look kinda cool. I've already ordered custom Laser spokes, but might go crazy and use titanium or gold-colored spokes for lead spokes.

10. Likes vern, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Thanks to Vicegrip's generous help, this frame is looking pretty good.

- removed the kickstand plate
    - removed brake bosses
    - replaced missing rivnut for bottle cage
    - tapped the a2z disc brake adapter and bolted that through the rack/fender mounts.

All cool, but I especially like the disc brake adapter.

Vicegrip, you take orders for customized adapters? I have a ti frame that has no brake bosses (i.e., fixie) that I've always wanted to put on a disc rear wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

Vicegrip, you take orders for customized adapters? I have a ti frame that has no brake bosses (i.e., fixie) that I've always wanted to put on a disc rear wheel.

So that adapter is the A2Z DM-UNI (http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02produ...dapter_01.html), but mounted here without the front plate (not an original idea; others have done this too). On this particular frame/dropout using the rack+fender eyelets worked out great (lined up with the aluminum backplate of the adapter, which Vicegrip helped me [i.e. let me watch & learn] tap out with an M5x0.8 and then drilled out the rack/fender threads so we could bolt through from the outside).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

Here is a disk brake adapter just in case A2Z DM-UNI adapter doesn't fit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFWAMEA/

And for those who want to convert from V-Brakes to disk, here is a brake caliper option designed just long enough for bikes that use V-Brakes, but the triangle needs to be straight from fender mount to the wheel's axle. Unfortunately for me, my rear triangle is curved both horizontally and vertically, so I can't use caliper brakes, and there is no room for rotors, so no disk brakes either.