Likes Likes:  63
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Conte's

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think of Conte's

Conte's is about to open across the street from where I work - the first bike shop in Capital Riverfront. While I intend to remain loyal to Bikenetics, having a bike shop close to work should be very helpful. I note they have existing shops in ther region - do they have a good reputation?

Post Thanks / Like

Fun fact: FreshBikes used to be part of the Conte's franchise, but bought out the rights several years ago. Now the non-compete clause has run out, Conte's is back, just a few blocks down the street.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Per JDLand:

Conte's will be running a 10-day pop-up version in one of Arri's open retail spaces on Tingey Street starting Thursday, May 19 through May 29th, opening on Thursday through Sunday during each of those two weeks. This means that the store will be open during both Bike to Work Day on Friday, May 20 and Tour de Fat at the Yards on Saturday, May 21.
    This pop-up version will have bikes for sale or rent, repair services, clothing, gear, and "expert advice."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    do they have a good reputation?
    Not with their creditors, I've heard...

Post Thanks / Like

When the Freshbikes in Ballston was still Conte's I stopped in a few times. Always felt that they were a bit pretentious and not super friendly unless your bike cost as much as a base model Kia. For the record, I have had good experiences at the FB in Mosaic.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MRH5028 View Post
    When the Freshbikes in Ballston was still Conte's I stopped in a few times. Always felt that they were a bit pretentious and not super friendly unless your bike cost as much as a base model Kia. For the record, I have had good experiences at the FB in Mosaic.
    I stopped at a Conte's in Richmond just to check it out and was surprised at how much of a whole-in-the-wall it was...basically a smaller version of Capitol Hill Bikes, but the people seemed nice enough. I'm guessing that the new Arlington store is quite a bit different though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MRH5028 View Post
    Ditto on this. I refuse to shop at the Ballston store because I had multiple experiences of being ignored or turned away when trying to buy a spare tube, minor bicycle stuff, and when I wanted to get my old beater bike repaired (I was told "We don't repair old bikes here."). I think they do an excellent job on the Tuesday night rides and am glad they host the Ballston pit stop for BTWD, but that's the extent of my positive experience with the Ballston location. They should really advertise that they are a higher-end-only bicycle shop.

In regards to the Mosaic location, I have only had good experiences, and I enjoyed their Tuesday night rides. The reasons I don't shop there are that I live in Alexandria, I am rarely in the Mosaic area, and I have been loyal to the Performance Bike in Bailey's Crossroads (bought all my bikes there, the staff are friendly to me, and it's close to my apartment).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Ditto on this. I refuse to shop at the Ballston store because I had multiple experiences of being ignored or turned away when trying to buy a spare tube, minor bicycle stuff, and when I wanted to get my old beater bike repaired (I was told "We don't repair old bikes here."). I think they do an excellent job on the Tuesday night rides and am glad they host the Ballston pit stop for BTWD, but that's the extent of my positive experience with the Ballston location. They should really advertise that they are a higher-end-only bicycle shop.
    I prolly would have bought a $300+ Castelli jacket there, but they ignored me to the extent that I left. Who can afford to run a business like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I prolly would have bought a $300+ Castelli jacket there, but they ignored me to the extent that I left. Who can afford to run a business like that?
    Just sell $10,000 bikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    There are people in this world who will spend $100K in a bike shop over the course of 6 months...