Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Bicyclist hit at Duke and W Taylor Run, Alexandria

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I observed this intersection the other day for about 45 minutes during rush hour. The crossing signal is completely separated from traffic. This means that for about 30 seconds, no cars are supposed to move while a person walks across. I find it very unlikely that Brown would have crossed against the walk signal because there is no gap in traffic during rush hour without it. There is an east-west signal phase on Duke and then a phase for Taylor Run drives to turn left and right. Each time, eastbound Duke past the light is completely full of cars.
    In this clip, walk signal comes on at the 8 second mark. If I was walking across at that point, I would have been hit by the red Chevy. Here are the rest of the videos and a few pictures I took.
    The first clip you link to doesn't make your case IMHO only because I can't see the walk signal (I may be blind however). I do see cars going thru the crosswalk with a walk signal in one of the still shots on the linked page. Find a video/pics showing cars going thru the crosswalk with a walking man and send to the WashPost, VDOT, the city of Alexandria, and the Brown's family if you can. Get the authorities in charge afraid of a civil lawsuit. Then maybe change will occur.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I observed this intersection the other day for about 45 minutes during rush hour.
    After watching your videos it would seem that a police officer observing this intersection for 45 minutes during rush hour could make a lot of money for the city.

3. Likes consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    The first clip you link to doesn't make your case IMHO only because I can't see the walk signal (I may be blind however). I do see cars going thru the crosswalk with a walk signal in one of the still shots on the linked page. Find a video/pics showing cars going thru the crosswalk with a walking man and send to the WashPost, VDOT, the city of Alexandria, and the Brown's family if you can. Get the authorities in charge afraid of a civil lawsuit. Then maybe change will occur.

Thanks for all the hard work.
    Correct about the first clip, I could see it with my own eyes but you cannot see it behind the camera. The walk signal came on about two seconds after the red light each time so you can also count down from the red light coming on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    Ryan is a friend of a friend. According to our mutual acquaintance, Ryan rode very much by the book and would not have crossed against the light at that intersection. Frankly, you'd have to be insane to even try, knowing the conditions on that part of Duke Street.

The authorities really dropped the ball on this one.
    It is completely improbable that the cyclist would have crossed against the walk signal.
    There is literally too many cars crossing through the intersection to even attempt crossing against the light. Without the walk signal, the east-west Duke St phase goes for about 60 seconds, 2 second gap, and then the 30-35 second Taylor Run phase. When the walk signal is pushed, the east-west Duke St phase goes for about 60 seconds, 2 second gap between red light and walk signal, then 30 seconds of walk signal, and then the 30-35 second Taylor Run phase.

Post Thanks / Like

It is completely improbable that the cyclist would have crossed against the walk signal.
    There is literally too many cars crossing through the intersection to even attempt crossing against the light. Without the walk signal, the east-west Duke St phase goes for about 60 seconds, 2 second gap, and then the 30-35 second Taylor Run phase. When the walk signal is pushed, the east-west Duke St phase goes for about 60 seconds, 2 second gap between red light and walk signal, then 30 seconds of walk signal, and then the 30-35 second Taylor Run phase.
    While I've only biked that stretch maybe 3 or 4x, entirely agree that a cyclist would not be crossing Duke against the crosswalk. As you correctly point out, even with the crosswalk, that's a dangerous spot. I've driven it many times and seen people turn right to get onto Telegraph from the main lanes, people routinely run that red, and all sorts of other shenanigans.

Sadly, this is part of why we have to wear cameras. The presumption seems to be drivers are saints.

Post Thanks / Like

Silly question: how do you mount a camera so it's not lost when a car slams into you at 30+ MPH?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Silly question: how do you mount a camera so it's not lost when a car slams into you at 30+ MPH?
    I'm not sure what the best answer is, but some (I would assume most) cameras have a little cord that attaches it to the mount so that the camera is not lost if it falls off the main part of the mount (say, if you were to hit a weird bump in the road). However, in an impact of 30+ mph, that camera is going to fly off somewhere regardless of the mount. Depending on the camera, the hardest part might just be finding it afterwards. Even if the camera itself is destroyed, the memory card might still be intact.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

http://redbricktown.com/2016/08/new-...dria-virginia/

Not sure whether to be happy (the City did something!) or sad (it had to take something this bad for the City to act, and still so few traffic cameras in the City).

10. Likes bobco85, CaseyKane50 liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad they are adding the cameras but why is a "warning only" period warranted? To give the commuters sufficient time to acclimate to having to stop at the lights? Really?! Thunk.

12. Likes Steve O, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I'm glad they are adding the cameras but why is a "warning only" period warranted? To give the commuters sufficient time to acclimate to having to stop at the lights? Really?! Thunk.
    I think this is fairly standard - at least I know this happens elsewhere. I think it is to get drivers used to having to obey the law when they do not see a cop actually present. Unless they wish to pay a fine, which often doesn't count against their license.