Thread: Bicyclist hit at Duke and W Taylor Run, Alexandria

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bicyclist hit at Duke and W Taylor Run, Alexandria

Date: May 5, 2016 at 6:44:14 PM EDT

From Alexandria PD

Subject: NOTIFICATION: Crash Investigation

Eastbound Duke Street is closed at W Taylor Run Parkway for a vehicle collision investigation. The traffic crash involved a bicyclist and a car. The adult male bicyclist was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting about this (I dislike the news, hence the dislike). I heard about it but did not find out much more information than what I found here: http://patch.com/virginia/oldtownale...a-crash-police I hope the cyclist is able to recover quickly.

For those unfamiliar with the intersection, it is here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8065748,-77.0758615,20z

It is a T intersection where W Taylor Run Pkwy dead ends into Duke St. It has a crosswalk on the east side which leads to a sidewalk on the south side of Duke St that also allows for access of a tunnel leading under Telegraph and the train tracks to Mill Rd. There are separate phases of the light for left-turning traffic from Taylor Run Pkwy onto Duke St and the crosswalk across Duke St (uses a beg button) to avoid conflict.

Since only eastbound Duke St was closed, I assume that the cyclist was trying to cross eastbound Duke St using the crosswalk. I do not know, however, what the traffic lights and pedestrian signal were displaying, so I will wait to see what information the investigation can produce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaBiker View Post

From Alexandria PD

Eastbound Duke Street is closed at W Taylor Run Parkway for a vehicle collision investigation. The traffic crash involved a bicyclist and a car. The adult male bicyclist was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.
    It appears that the person riding the bike might have been heading east bound on Duke Street. Not sure if the car pictured was involved in the crash or stopped to render assistance.

No update on the condition of the bike rider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duke and Telegraph bike v car crash 2016.05.05.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	11708

The photo was taken by a resident who lives in the neighborhood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    It appears that the person riding the bike might have been heading east bound on Duke Street. Not sure if the car pictured was involved in the crash or stopped to render assistance.

No update on the condition of the bike rider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duke and Telegraph bike v car crash 2016.05.05.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	11708

The photo was taken by a resident who lives in the neighborhood.
    Wow, I know the lady that drives that car. She lives in my community and is an older lady--very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the traffic backup in the neighborhood yesterday, saw the ambulance was there but didn't pay any attention to it cause im not much of a gawker. Hope the guy pulls through OK.

That's a really sketchy area... Traffic going into or coming off of the onramps there is heavy and routinely doing 40+mph and NOBODY yields if you're at any of the crosswalks. The path you can see on the right that cuts under the overpass is long and gets really secluded and penned in - there are some industrial tunnels or something by the path that look like a scene straight out of a horror movie. I don't blame anybody trying to cross Duke there to avoid it cause it feels like rape city down there. Sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears that the person riding the bike might have been heading east bound on Duke Street.
    I don't think the photo rules out a crosswalk collision. The car and bike shown here are not very far east of the crosswalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saw accident scene - very serious - any word on cyclist?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandriaBiker View Post

From Alexandria PD

I was in my car driving past the accident scene just as the ambulance pulled away. From what I could see the cyclist had to have hit the windshield with significant force, and then must have landed on the road a few inches from where the vehicle stopped. There were clothes on the road that had obviously been cut off the victim (they were in a pattern of a person lying prone) and the bicycle was off to the side. Four hours later when I drove by the police had set up a tent and were still processing the scene, so it had to have been very serious. Does anyone know if the cyclist survived or how he's doing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nstfrancis View Post
    I was in my car driving past the accident scene just as the ambulance pulled away. From what I could see the cyclist had to have hit the windshield with significant force, and then must have landed on the road a few inches from where the vehicle stopped. There were clothes on the road that had obviously been cut off the victim (they were in a pattern of a person lying prone) and the bicycle was off to the side. Four hours later when I drove by the police had set up a tent and were still processing the scene, so it had to have been very serious. Does anyone know if the cyclist survived or how he's doing?
    According to the Alexandria Police Department Facebook page, as of noon yesterday, the bike rider was "still in the hospital in serious condition as medical professionals assess his condition".

Post Thanks / Like

According to the Alexandria Police Department Facebook page, as of noon yesterday, the bike rider was "still in the hospital in serious condition as medical professionals assess his condition".
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an update on the bike rider, Ryan Brown, from his friend Rich Speckart.

Ryan was biking from his job at the US Patent Office to his home off of Taylor Run. Though we don't have the official police report yet, we have heard that he was hit while crossing north across Duke by a driver heading east toward Old Town. He was taken to GWU hospital where he is in the ICU.

He is in coma, and has made very slow, but promising progress. When he first arrived, he was unresponsive, but in the last few days he has begun to show movement in his legs, arms, and head. At this point, it's unclear what the long-term impacts will be.
    Friends of Ryan have put together a YouCaring Compassionate Crowdfunding website to raise money to help Ryan's wife and two young sons.