Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Corkscrew of Death in Washingtonian

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    All true. Its best safety feature regarding slips is the helpful creosote-soaked logs right along the edges for comfortable landings. Not that I've ever had a problem, but I know many who have, and at around 450 trips a year, the odds are there.
    Someone should paint those logs with candy cane stripes (much better than the barbershop ones as I know what the origin of that comes from) to match the image!

    On another note, this reminded me to add the term to the forum wiki: http://bikedc.wikia.com/wiki/Corkscrew_of_Death

  2. Likes GovernorSilver liked this post
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Someone should paint those logs with candy cane stripes (much better than the barbershop ones as I know what the origin of that comes from) to match the image!

    On another note, this reminded me to add the term to the forum wiki: http://bikedc.wikia.com/wiki/Corkscrew_of_Death
    I thought the Corkscrew of Death was the pedestrian bridge over the Clara Barton Pkwy connecting the C&O to MacArthur Blvd? That's never easy or fun. It's especially safe with the giant I-beam sticking about 4 inches out of the ground right at the base of the concrete spiral of doom. I think there's a piece of re-bar sticking out of the ground somewhere nearby too.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9399...1206307,18.25z

    As far as I know it's the safest way to get to Chain Bridge Rd to ride up 41st St.

  4. #13
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I also like how the artist accurately captured the what's happening to the Memorial Bridge

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington (Westover), VA
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I also like how the artist accurately captured the what's happening to the Memorial Bridge
    Not that I would normally quibble with a surrealist image like this, but I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the Key Bridge. But I have no doubt we'll find out in a few months that Key is also in dire need of repairs, so you're comment is still good!
    Last edited by run/bike; 05-05-2016 at 03:44 PM.

  6. Likes jrenaut liked this post
  7. #15
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I ride the Custis "Corkscrew of Death" (or "Switchback of Grave Peril") twice a day. Tourists are never a problem there despite the obvious allure of the intriguing moniker(s). The times when the peril is most grave are approximately now, when the trees are raining blossom-related debris that is subsequently soaked by actual rain, and in the fall when the leaves come down.
    To get to Custis, I may be coming up the MVT - and that includes the Gravelly Point section - so this is where the extra traffic brought by tourism comes in.
    Last edited by GovernorSilver; 05-05-2016 at 03:59 PM.

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    I thought the Corkscrew of Death was the pedestrian bridge over the Clara Barton Pkwy connecting the C&O to MacArthur Blvd? That's never easy or fun. It's especially safe with the giant I-beam sticking about 4 inches out of the ground right at the base of the concrete spiral of doom. I think there's a piece of re-bar sticking out of the ground somewhere nearby too.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9399...1206307,18.25z

    As far as I know it's the safest way to get to Chain Bridge Rd to ride up 41st St.
    Bleh, I have never actually tried that route, and it seems like it'd be more fun hiking than biking. In regards to the dictionary entry, I went with the common usage on the forum. I haven't heard that used to describe the C&O to MacArthur Blvd path.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I also like how the artist accurately captured the what's happening to the Memorial Bridge
    I think it's actually Key Bridge because of the shapes of the arches and spandrels (I had to look up what they were https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandrel ) with the Whitehurst Freeway extending off into the distance on the DC side of the Potomac River (the Custis Trail would eventually make it to the right side of the image which would be the Virginia side)...

    ...I think I'm overanalyzing this which is fun yet kinda makes me feel like I just took whatever drug would make me experience the cyclist's dream

    At another glance, I find it somewhat amusing that the cyclist is literally (in a figurative dreamscape, of course) melting away the fat on his, erm, backside. Either that, or he has a tail

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Fairfax/Vienna/Falls Church
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So now I have an official reason to never travel further east on the Custis than is needed to get to the Westover beer Garden?

    Sweet.

  10. Likes jrenaut liked this post
  11. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Falls church
    Posts
    1,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Liked the words and illustration. Both capture a feeling well.

  12. Likes Rod Smith liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •