Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corkscrew of Death in Washingtonian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    All true. Its best safety feature regarding slips is the helpful creosote-soaked logs right along the edges for comfortable landings. Not that I've ever had a problem, but I know many who have, and at around 450 trips a year, the odds are there.
    Someone should paint those logs with candy cane stripes (much better than the barbershop ones as I know what the origin of that comes from) to match the image!

On another note, this reminded me to add the term to the forum wiki: http://bikedc.wikia.com/wiki/Corkscrew_of_Death

2. Likes GovernorSilver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Someone should paint those logs with candy cane stripes (much better than the barbershop ones as I know what the origin of that comes from) to match the image!

On another note, this reminded me to add the term to the forum wiki: http://bikedc.wikia.com/wiki/Corkscrew_of_Death
    I thought the Corkscrew of Death was the pedestrian bridge over the Clara Barton Pkwy connecting the C&O to MacArthur Blvd? That's never easy or fun. It's especially safe with the giant I-beam sticking about 4 inches out of the ground right at the base of the concrete spiral of doom. I think there's a piece of re-bar sticking out of the ground somewhere nearby too.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9399...1206307,18.25z

As far as I know it's the safest way to get to Chain Bridge Rd to ride up 41st St.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like how the artist accurately captured the what's happening to the Memorial Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I also like how the artist accurately captured the what's happening to the Memorial Bridge
    Not that I would normally quibble with a surrealist image like this, but I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the Key Bridge. But I have no doubt we'll find out in a few months that Key is also in dire need of repairs, so you're comment is still good!
    Last edited by run/bike; 05-05-2016 at 03:44 PM.

6. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I ride the Custis "Corkscrew of Death" (or "Switchback of Grave Peril") twice a day. Tourists are never a problem there despite the obvious allure of the intriguing moniker(s). The times when the peril is most grave are approximately now, when the trees are raining blossom-related debris that is subsequently soaked by actual rain, and in the fall when the leaves come down.
    To get to Custis, I may be coming up the MVT - and that includes the Gravelly Point section - so this is where the extra traffic brought by tourism comes in.
    Last edited by GovernorSilver; 05-05-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    I thought the Corkscrew of Death was the pedestrian bridge over the Clara Barton Pkwy connecting the C&O to MacArthur Blvd? That's never easy or fun. It's especially safe with the giant I-beam sticking about 4 inches out of the ground right at the base of the concrete spiral of doom. I think there's a piece of re-bar sticking out of the ground somewhere nearby too.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9399...1206307,18.25z

As far as I know it's the safest way to get to Chain Bridge Rd to ride up 41st St.
    Bleh, I have never actually tried that route, and it seems like it'd be more fun hiking than biking. In regards to the dictionary entry, I went with the common usage on the forum. I haven't heard that used to describe the C&O to MacArthur Blvd path.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I think it's actually Key Bridge because of the shapes of the arches and spandrels (I had to look up what they were https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandrel ) with the Whitehurst Freeway extending off into the distance on the DC side of the Potomac River (the Custis Trail would eventually make it to the right side of the image which would be the Virginia side)...

...I think I'm overanalyzing this which is fun yet kinda makes me feel like I just took whatever drug would make me experience the cyclist's dream

At another glance, I find it somewhat amusing that the cyclist is literally (in a figurative dreamscape, of course) melting away the fat on his, erm, backside. Either that, or he has a tail

Post Thanks / Like

So now I have an official reason to never travel further east on the Custis than is needed to get to the Westover beer Garden?

Sweet.

10. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liked the words and illustration. Both capture a feeling well.

12. Likes Rod Smith liked this post