Likes Likes:  94
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  11
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Women & Negative Interaction on the Trails

  1. #21
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    On pleasant mornings, I'll say "good morning!" to most of the riders I pass on the CCT regardless of gender. And because I have the Specialized Roubaix frame on my bike that is both distinctive and relatively common (and IMHO, quite striking), I'll remark "nice bike" to anyone I pass who has the same frame, regardless of gender. Of course, none of these people are aware of my interactions with others, and so I do occasionally worry I'm creeping out women with those remarks, and then alternately worrying that if I only say it to men, I'm doing something wrong. Although these worries generally flash across my brainpan and vanish.

    Should I care more, less or about the same?
    I think most women have a finely honed radar when it comes to creepiness. If you aren't creepy, saying "hello" or "nice bike" isn't gonna freak anyone out; rather, I see it as friendliness like the nodding acknowledgement one makes when you encounter another cyclist in a lonely area.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    This culture of male-dominance isn't going away until everyone - including guys - are willing to stand up to it.
    I think there's a bit of a selection problem here; I don't have a whole lot to stand up to, because the people I'm generally with wouldn't engage in such behavior. I'm not claiming it doesn't happen, but I don't see it happening near me. I'm not sure how to effect change in a group you're not part of.

  3. #23
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I think there's a bit of a selection problem here; I don't have a whole lot to stand up to, because the people I'm generally with wouldn't engage in such behavior. I'm not claiming it doesn't happen, but I don't see it happening near me. I'm not sure how to effect change in a group you're not part of.
    You may not see it, but I doubt it is not happening near you.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arlington VA
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Pish. I'm frequently told by pedestrians and joggers that I'm the friendliest/most courteous biker they've encountered - usually as I chit chat with them (over the of my hubs) while I'm waiting for a clear trail to pass.
    NO WAY, thats me! Kidding. Seriously though, I dropped my bell and now pass with a courteous "ma'am/Sir, I am going to be on your left here on a bike" I either get a thank you or a spaced out look (earbuds or out of it peds). However, if someone is rude I go to the 11 anger (sounding) scale.

    Back to the topic, there is no room for this bullshit, but women (and men), please carry some pepper (OC) spray and be aware. Definitely be aware of your surroundings at all times on these trails. Ive seen allot of creepazoids of all socioeconomic levels on all of the trails in the Arlington loop area.

  5. #25
    Amalitza Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    In the spirit of helping everyone enjoy the trails as much as I do, I have a question related to this topic.

    I like to ride fast, but also try to be PAL and not make stupid passes. This means I will catch up to other riders (and, of course, joggers/peds) and may need to linger behind them at their speed until trail conditions allow for a safe pass. It is generally fairly obvious to joggers/peds why I am doing this (e.g., much oncoming trail traffic, closely approaching a blind curve) and these instances tend to last for shorter times/distances anyway. With cyclists, it often lasts longer, and some riders frequently look back seemingly nervously (although I honestly can't say that I've noticed women doing this more than men). I follow at a reasonable distance, but generally only say something, or ring the bell, when all looks clear and I am actually going to pass. When faster riders act in this way to me, I am totally comfortable and grateful for it.

    Anything I can do to make people more comfortable without being misconstrued?
    I'm a looker-backer. (actually, I'm a looker-backer all the time not just when i know someone's behind me, because i like to be aware of traffic around and behind me and not everyone makes enough noise to hear them coming. You just don't know that because you're not there to see me do it). Assuming you're not following me for an unnecessarily long time on a deserted trail, I'm not doing it because I'm concerned you're stalking me, I'm doing it to keep an eye on if/when you're going to pass. Sometimes people pick what I'd consider inopportune times to pass, and don't call their passes, and I just don't like to be startled by it. If you want to make me less concerned that will happen you can announce yourself when you catch up to me-- I generally assume cyclists who announce when they're behind me will also announce before they pass, otherwise i have no idea if you will or won't announce your pass. But I'll probably still keep a bit of an eye on you back there. Nothing personal.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amalitza View Post
    I'm a looker-backer. (actually, I'm a looker-backer all the time not just when i know someone's behind me, because i like to be aware of traffic around and behind me and not everyone makes enough noise to hear them coming. You just don't know that because you're not there to see me do it). Assuming you're not following me for an unnecessarily long time on a deserted trail, I'm not doing it because I'm concerned you're stalking me, I'm doing it to keep an eye on if/when you're going to pass. Sometimes people pick what I'd consider inopportune times to pass, and don't call their passes, and I just don't like to be startled by it. If you want to make me less concerned that will happen you can announce yourself when you catch up to me-- I generally assume cyclists who announce when they're behind me will also announce before they pass, otherwise i have no idea if you will or won't announce your pass. But I'll probably still keep a bit of an eye on you back there. Nothing personal.
    A mirror makes this safer ... you can look back in the mirror while still looking ahead. Heck, when I'm walking downtown at night and hear footsteps coming up behind me, I instinctively look in the mirror, then realize I'm on foot and don't have it.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    You may not see it, but I doubt it is not happening near you.
    I can't remember the last time I heard a catcall on the trails. If ever. I don't doubt at all that it is happening to women. But I suspect that the creeps who do this only do it when there are not other males around. Or only when other males of their own type are around.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickBull View Post
    A mirror makes this safer ... you can look back in the mirror while still looking ahead. Heck, when I'm walking downtown at night and hear footsteps coming up behind me, I instinctively look in the mirror, then realize I'm on foot and don't have it.
    They say that once you get a helmet mirror, you'll never look back!

  9. #29
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickBull View Post
    I can't remember the last time I heard a catcall on the trails. If ever. I don't doubt at all that it is happening to women. But I suspect that the creeps who do this only do it when there are not other males around. Or only when other males of their own type are around.
    My comment wasn't about catcalls -- it was about the general culture. You probably hear comments that reinforce a male-dominant culture all the time.

  10. #30
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    4,967
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    They say that once you get a helmet mirror, you'll never look back!
    You should probably give appropriate attribution:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    And you know what they say about using a mirror?
    Once you have one, you never look back.




    (bada bing)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •