Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DCBikemap.com

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    At long last - new routing technology on dcbikemap.com!

Care about hills? Don't care about hills? Care about bike infrastructure? Don't care about bike infrastructure? Tell the site what YOU care about and it will attempt to route accordingly.

Don't like the route it gives you? Drag the route around until it goes where YOU want it to go.

Feedback welcome.

Hmm. I do not think of myself as quite a "hills - avoid at all costs" rider, but that is the setting I need to use to get it to pick my route Shirlington-Arlington Mill - Walter Reed - King route, instead of Shirlington-31st Street Ascent to get to Park Center. Is the 31st Street Ascent really seen as that wimpy a hill?

I suspect it is in part because in looking at hills it is using only topography, and not the interaction with infrastructure - I will take a steeper hill when there is seg infra, or when there is a an extra lane for traffic to pass - but I am least likely to take it when the only alternative is a single general travel lane (and the speed bumps add to my difficulties going uphill there) leaving motor vehicle traffic trailing behind me, or needing to pass in the opposite direction lane.

Seems to work a lot better in Chrome than it does in Firefox. In Firefox the directions disappear down the bottom right and you can only scroll through them a bit at a time. In Chrome it works very well, with all the directions easy to read in the upper right.

I note that while I don't think of myself as taking major detours to get to infrastructure, I actually do. I apparently go out of my way a bit to get to the Custis rather than take Lee Highway. I am fine with this. The map also sends me there via the "cycleway" on George Mason, which I note is only a sharrow south of Lee Highway, whereas I'll always go by the hospital on Edison, which is more direct and far lower in stress. Gives a distance of 9 miles and 52 minutes, whereas it's 8.5 miles and 30 minutes in my world. Fun to compare.

Good job. Something I'll use next time I need to get somewhere unfamiliar; it will be interesting to compare it to Google Maps' cycling directions.

I have designed my commute to utilize low-speed surface streets and specifically NOT the Mt Vernon Trail between 14th St Bridge and Roosevelt Island. This takes me down Ohio Dr and over the Memorial Bridge to the paved path around Arlington Cemetery. I cannot make the DC Bikemap follow that route, even thought the trail is clearly marked as a paved MUP.

Also, I'd be interested if there were a way to filter or color code streets with speed limits of 25, 35 or 35+

At long last - new routing technology on dcbikemap.com!

Care about hills? Don't care about hills? Care about bike infrastructure? Don't care about bike infrastructure? Tell the site what YOU care about and it will attempt to route accordingly.

Don't like the route it gives you? Drag the route around until it goes where YOU want it to go.

Feedback welcome.
    Nice, nice.

You might want to add the yellow line to the legend. Took me a while to figure out which line was the route that the app chose for me - it's the yellow one! I'm guessing you'd want to label it "Top suggested route" or something as there's already a line in the legend for suggested routes.

I guess "suggested routes" is actually "bike friendly roads"? Also it's very similar in color to the "cycletracks" line.

Finally, "Capital City Brewing Co" cannot be found by the app's search function. This is important for those who want to attend the 3rd Thursday happy hours.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

1) I'm looking into some of the routing issues. So far most of them I've been able to figure out - they've been related to how the bike paths & streets are connected together and tagged at Open Street Map.
    2) I'm definitely going to take another look at the color code & the legend.
    3) At this point it's unlikely that the To and From boxes will be able to support business names, they require addresses. I am hoping to add the ability to right click somewhere on the map and say "route from here" or "route to here".
    4) I'm hoping to add the ability to overlay the Arlington Comfort Map as well as the Montgomery County Stress map over the bike map. I'll look at adding the ability to overlay speed limits as well, though I suspect that will mostly expose the fact that OpenStreetMap's speed limit data is sorely incomplete.
    5) I can't seem to duplicate huskerdont's issues in Firefox. Can anyone else confirm?

I played around with it some in Firefox and it appears that it was that the screen was too magnified. Ctrl-minus a few times and it looks much better. Below is a screenshot of something similar to what I was seeing earlier, but I wasn't able to quite duplicate fully the way it was resolving. I don't know why it presented that way--perhaps I expanded an earlier iteration of the map and the browser remembered it. We can call it user error.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bikemap.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	12198

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

1) I'm looking into some of the routing issues. So far most of them I've been able to figure out - they've been related to how the bike paths & streets are connected together and tagged at Open Street Map.
    There's lots of places that the cycling directions may differ from driving directions, and no map I've seen can really intelligently parse those... another example would be the section of the "Anacostia Riverwalk Trail" that runs in front of the fish market on the sidewalk. Many cyclists will use this and then the sidewalk to get down to a crosswalk by the Jefferson, and then use Ohio drive to access the Mt. Vernon Trail. Similarly, DC bound cyclists coming off that trail find themselves on a one-way street and most just hop onto the sidewalk. It's hard to make a map take those routes as a primary suggestion.

FYI The company I use for bike directions (Mapzen) has improved their algorithm quite a bit and as a result, http://dcbikemap.com is returning some dramatically improved bike directions for many routes. The most marked improvement is for those who are looking for a very low stress route - choosing "avoid hills at all cost" and "use bike infrastructure at all cost" often results in exactly the route I would have picked for my family rides.

I've updated the rackspotter rack locations on http://dcbikemap.com (I really need to automate this, we were missing more than 6 months worth of racks).

I just took a quick look at this (maybe there is a safe shorter way home... Shorter yes, not sure if safer, but that may be my comfort level). It does not seem to understand all addresses. I entered the address of the gym I go to, and it gave me options of Arlington, VA {zipcode} or N Wilson Blvd elsewhere in the US and world. Even trying just N Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA and it had no idea where it was, but it knew some other, lessor roads in Arlington. So, not sure where the issue is, but it won't take addresses it doesn't understand and the options provided do not always make sense. However, I can move the marker to where I want it, so I can just find something nearby as an end point and then drag the marker where I want to go to.

It does nicely show the bike racks - properly indicated two at my gym (I did not check to see if it noted that they are outdated and hard to ulock to (this is a beef I have with the gym)).