Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expect crowded trails tomorrow.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expect crowded trails tomorrow.

Emergency systemwide shutdown on metro.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...mepage%2Fstory

Post Thanks / Like

Smugness factor to 11. I will be insufferable in the office tomorrow. Or maybe the only one in the office tomorrow.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Expect crowded bike stations downtown for those who use Capital Bikeshare. The bike corrals haven't started up yet this year. They should try to find a way to set up an emergency CaBi corral tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Emergency systemwide shutdown on metro.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...mepage%2Fstory
    Holy ______-ing expletive. if this actually occurs, it may be Newbie City on the trails tomorrow.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MFC View Post
    Holy ______-ing expletive. if this actually occurs, it may be Newbie City on the trails tomorrow.
    BTWD, minus the swag.

Post Thanks / Like

Eradicates my decision-making process of needing to be in early and driving v cycling, cycling wins, which I generally like albeit the dark mornings arent always much fun.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    Smugness factor to 11. I will be insufferable in the office tomorrow. Or maybe the only one in the office tomorrow.
    Be sure to act like you didn't know about the shutdown. "Oh, was there a lot of extra traffic today? What happened?"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness the building manager at my work cleared all the dead bikes out of the storage room last weekend.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe not

We had this discussion before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Keep hoping.

On March 17, 2003, Dwight Watson drove his tractor into the pond on the national mall. The morning of March 18 was exceedingly beautiful for bike commuting: blue sky, 50's, crystal clear air, gorgeous. I had to take an annoying, 45-second detour along Independence Drive (in those days one could ride literally onto the apron of the Washington Monument and touch it if you wanted to on the way to Jefferson Drive).
    Car commuters took 3-4 hours(!!!) to get from Alexandria into DC. It was a monumental clusterf*$#k. Epic. Rivaled only by the day the suicide jumper closed the Wilson Bridge IMO.

The next day was equally as beautiful: blue sky, 50's, crystal clear air, gorgeous. The news had been essentially 24/7 about the kook in his tractor in the pond. I was certain that on Wednesday morning I would see more bike commuters. I mean, they knew he was still there. And they knew what a clusterf*$#k it had been the day before. It was not a surprise. Surely at least 1% of all those people who had sat in their cars for 3 hours to go 6 or 7 or 8 miles on Tuesday would figure out that they could ride their bike instead. Surely. After all, the DC area has the most highly educated population in the Western Hemisphere. Surely. Surely.....

I was wrong. I did not see any indication whatsoever that more people were riding the next day. Once again I had to take my annoying 45-second detour, but I was still on time (I probably left a minute early just in case )

So if on a day when every single driver already knew that he or she was going to be sitting in an epic traffic jam--already knew!--and virtually none chose to ride his or her bike instead, then I don't think those everyday, ordinary jams are going to do it either.

So keep hoping.

Attachment 6519

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, you are all wrong. It'll be a repeat of Popemegeddon. I expect light traffic as everyone takes the day off and telecommutes. I expect slightly more bikes on the trail and lots of pedestrians on the trail in a valiant but ultimately failing attempt to get ready for bikini season.