Likes Likes:  46
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NPS seriously considering clearing MVT in the future!

Post Thanks / Like

Default NPS seriously considering clearing MVT in the future!

Post Thanks / Like

Three cheers for KWL who shoveled a path through the Hump Back Glacier last evening! It was nice talking with you last night. Great work!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bike Arlington for reminding people to contact NPS and continue to put pressure on them to plow the trails I got this response to my email too and was really happy to see plowing the trail is at least being considered. Yay! Now if only we can get our local advocacy groups, governments, and partners to step up we may get this done.

I just hope there is no secret powerful cross country skier group lurking in the DC region to oppose this...

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's see if anything actually happens. It will probably have to be a program in coordination with Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax, because NPS won't take this on themselves, for various reasons. It's a good sign though.

Post Thanks / Like

I got the same response from NPS too. Sounds like all the e-mails are making a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

The Park Service has just as much responsibility to clear snow as it does to clear downed trees and repair damaged bridges after flooding and severe non-winter storms. They do an excellent job of clearing the trail after non-winter storms. We should not settle for half a loaf here. They plow the Parkway. They need to do the same for the trail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rootchopper View Post
    The Park Service has just as much responsibility to clear snow as it does to clear downed trees and repair damaged bridges after flooding and severe non-winter storms. They do an excellent job of clearing the trail after non-winter storms. We should not settle for half a loaf here. They plow the Parkway. They need to do the same for the trail.
    NPS does what Congress gives it money to do. Honestly, I'd rather have snow on the MVT than see money get cut from NPS's maintenance budget, which is way too small already.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, This issue has hit the WaPo "Dr Gridlock" section:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nclude-trails/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Comments!

Quote Originally Posted by NickBull View Post
    As one would expect the haters are out in the comment section. Might be a good idea to read the article and offer positive support for snow removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickBull View Post
    Thanks for the alert. Normally I'll avoid a cycling article's comments section at the Post like the plaque, but it seems important to throw out some support for clearing the trails and lanes.