Likes Likes:  59
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arlington Blvd/Rt 50 Trail Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arlington Blvd/Rt 50 Trail Thread

Things aren't looking good. This is heading north from the Courthouse exit on Washington Blvd on the west side of Route 50 to where it meets Fairfax Dr.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowzilla Route 50 Trail.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	10709

Last year the response I got from Arlington County was that it was VDOT's responsibility to maintain it. VDOT's response was yes it's was their responsibility to maintain it, but no, they weren't going to maintain it. I'm looking into who at VDOT is the correct person to ask about this.

I've started this as a separate thread because it's probably more useful as a place to talk about how we can get it cleared instead of the actual it's in.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had good success when using the "report a problem" page on the VDOT site. In fact, they cleared off a bunch of vegetation and gravel along route 50 itself (farther west) as well as fixed the lights at the Underpass of Eternal Darkness and the other Underpass of Perpetual Gloom. And response time was pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Things aren't looking good. This is heading north from the Courthouse exit on Washington Blvd on the west side of Route 50 to where it meets Fairfax Dr.

Name:	Snowzilla Route 50 Trail.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	10709

Last year the response I got from Arlington County was that it was VDOT's responsibility to maintain it. VDOT's response was yes it's was their responsibility to maintain it, but no, they weren't going to maintain it. I'm looking into who at VDOT is the correct person to ask about this.

I've started this as a separate thread because it's probably more useful as a place to talk about how we can get it cleared instead of the actual it's in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I have had good success when using the "report a problem" page on the VDOT site. In fact, they cleared off a bunch of vegetation and gravel along route 50 itself (farther west) as well as fixed the lights at the Underpass of Eternal Darkness and the other Underpass of Perpetual Gloom. And response time was pretty quick.
    Yeah, for me they've been good about clearing gravel on the Rt 50 overpass over Washington Blvd, but I fear this is a much bigger job than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone should report this via the report a problem link, then we can compile all of the "no" responses from VDOT and dump them in our state delegation's lap.

I've put one report in. We'll need a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you see what shape the trail on the other side (east adjacent to Fort Myer) of Rt 50 is in? I assume like last year it is not been cleared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    Did you see what shape the trail on the other side (east adjacent to Fort Myer) of Rt 50 is in? I assume like last year it is not been cleared.
    You can't even get close.

Name:	20160127_172556-1_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	10710

Post Thanks / Like

Per official policy: http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/...ped_policy.pdf

For sidewalks, shared use paths, and bicycle paths built within department right-of-way, built to
    department standards, and accepted for maintenance, VDOT will maintain these bicycle and
    pedestrian accommodations through replacement and repair. VDOT will not provide snow or ice
    removal for sidewalks and shared use paths. The execution of agreements between VDOT and
    localities for maintenance of such facilities shall not be precluded under this policy.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    There was a discussion about clearing this trail at a recent Bicycle Advisory Committee meeting. The committee suggested to staff that this trail be among those considered as possibilities for additional clearing. I can't remember if we came to any specific outcomes other than just a discussion point. dasgeh or chris_s may remember better than I.

Post Thanks / Like

It might help if Barbara Favola heard from people who ride bikes that they want VDOT's approach to trail clearing changed:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Here's her email address: district31@senate.virginia.gov

Post Thanks / Like

Folks may want to include that this isn't just a problem with trails. We have had similar issues in the past with getting VDOT to clear the sidewalk on the Glebe Road bridge over 50 and the (admittedly terrible even on a sunny day) sidewalk next to Glebe Road as it passes beneath 395 (though I haven't looked to see how those have fared this year).

It may also be worth pointing out that this appears to directly violate the ADA as it is interpreted by the Federal Highway Administration.

I've contacted my delegate (Alfonso Lopez) whom I have a good relationship with - I'll report back what I hear.