PDA

View Full Version : W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

Pages : [1] 2

consularrider
02-01-2016, 08:27 AM
"This icy winter snowstorm offers an opportunity to announce another of the several pointless prizes I plan to award: the prize for the most crashes. We can call it the London Bridge prize, or… for any Bruce fans, the “I’m goin’ down” prize. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fdZWbIsrFk

Initially I wanted to offer this prize last winter, but it became painfully apparent that I’d have to award it to myself… how dorky is that?

The thing I'm not sure of is how we'll know who the winner is this year. What is the best way to keep track of how many times we go down? I don't know if we’d need a separate thread or if it’s better to add a specific keyword to ride titles… or if we should just rely on self-reporting at the end of the season – crashes are generally engraved quite powerfully in the memory, so I don't expect anyone will forget.

Be safe, everyone. w&w"

Think you might be in the running for Wheels & Wings PP? Since this isn't something that can be pulled off your Stave ride reports, here is a thread where you can either brag or complain about your accomplishments.

Declared falls (as of date/time of last edit):

consularrider: 6
kitty: 4
Steve O: 1
DCV: 3?
Subby: 4
Mikey: 1
J Wetzel: 1
Teresa A: 1
vvill: 2
Amalitza: 1
Boomer2U: 2
Dickie: 3
jlevine: 1
Jon Robot: 3
Steve O: 2
DrP: 2
BTC_DC: 1
LeprosyStudyGroup: 2
Vicegrip: 2
jonathankrall: 1
hozn: 1 (does he count as a slacker?)
wheels&wings: 1
JonRobot: 1
Boomer2U: 1

Anyone else playing? If you have already post elsewhere, please repost here so you can get credit.

Steve O
02-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Declared falls:

consularrider: 5
kitty: 3

Anyone else playing?

I think dcv claimed 3. I will sheepishly claim 1 so far.

consularrider
02-01-2016, 08:47 AM
My first BAFS fall was Thursday, January 21. I was riding the Pugsley with studded tires and made to sharp a movement to get off the street while I was on packed snow/ice covered with brown sugar slush. I was on the cobblestones of Trioksviatytelska St about to enter Mykhaivs'ka Sq (https://www.google.com/maps/@50.4552389,30.5207108,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-q_NKDeov1BY%2FUdG_mkDd1xI%2FAAAAAAAAN0A%2F_g72qZLN RDg!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2F-q_NKDeov1BY%2FUdG_mkDd1xI%2FAAAAAAAAN0A%2F_g72qZLN RDg%2Fw397-h100-n-k-no%2F!7i5408!8i1360) and the street was blocked off for a Christmas Market.

Falls 2-5 were on Sunday, January 31. I again was riding the Pugsley with studded tires, this time on trails and forest roads in Pushcha-Voditsa (http://www.wikiloc.com/trails/outdoor/ukraine/kiev-oblast/pushcha-voditsa) just north of Kyiv. The surface was mostly ice with some crusty snow and very few bare spots. My first fall was on a slightly banked turn and the wheels just slid down the ice. The second and third falls of the day were when I was crossing the crusty snow between the wheel ruts to try and avoid some deep puddles. The final fall (that I can claim) was when my wheel caught in one of the deep and narrow wheel ruts. I did learn a lot about riding on ice during the ride.

Sample of the conditions.

Subby
02-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Put me down for 4. Twice on the Custis, once on the MVT, once going through Rosslyn (is that sidewalk still considered the custis?).

Mikey
02-01-2016, 10:13 AM
I had 1 - Columbia Island/to North Pentagon Parking lot wooden bridge trollheim.

jwetzel
02-01-2016, 10:57 AM
Once for me. It was that Wednesday night clipper, I went down in the middle of 18th street in Adams Morgan as I tried to stop with one foot already on the ground. One of the rare times I've called it quits for safety reasons, I threw the bike into a car2go and drove home.

Terpfan
02-01-2016, 10:59 AM
True fall? I haven't had one since November. But slight fall as in bike moves out underneath you, then yes my idiotic idea to try riding the icy patch in marina trail this morning did fall. But I had unclipped one foot in anticipation of something going wrong so i just awkwardly kind of half fell and then walked the stretch.

Steve O
02-01-2016, 11:10 AM
True fall? I haven't had one since November. But slight fall as in bike moves out underneath you, then yes my idiotic idea to try riding the icy patch in marina trail this morning did fall. But I had unclipped one foot in anticipation of something going wrong so i just awkwardly kind of half fell and then walked the stretch.

I suppose we can discuss the definition of "fall."
I suggest anything that causes your handlebar to unintentionally hit the ground while you are riding the bike and at least one part of your body other than your feet also touches the ground. (If you can nimbly dismount and land on your feet while your bike skitters away, then not a fall, but hopefully someone got video.)

Stopped while "riding" still counts, such as while standing at a light or failing to clip out. Dropping your bike accidentally shouldn't count unless you go down with it.

Teresa A
02-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Put me down for one. It was Blizzard Friday and the snow was covering the edge of the trail, which my bike tires followed and causing me to fall and hit my head (while still clipped in). Unfortunately, the snow wasn't really deep enough to cushion the impact but it was a low speed crash. :-)

lordofthemark
02-01-2016, 11:22 AM
I suggest anything that causes your handlebar to unintentionally hit the ground while you are riding the bike and at least one part of your body other than your feet also touches the ground. (If you can nimbly dismount and land on your feet while your bike skitters away, then not a fall, but hopefully someone got video.)

Stopped while "riding" still counts, such as while standing at a light or failing to clip out. Dropping your bike accidentally shouldn't count unless you go down with it.

What if your handlebar does not hit the ground, because it is cushioned by two feet of snow? And your body rolls into the snow, but never touches "ground"?

Terpfan
02-01-2016, 11:28 AM
What if your handlebar does not hit the ground, because it is cushioned by two feet of snow? And your body rolls into the snow, but never touches "ground"?

So you crossed the Humpback Bridge too?

KWL
02-01-2016, 11:28 AM
What if your handlebar does not hit the ground, because it is cushioned by two feet of snow? And your body rolls into the snow, but never touches "ground"?Are you a lawyer?

lordofthemark
02-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Are you a lawyer?

No, but I play one on TV. :rolleyes:

lordofthemark
02-01-2016, 11:51 AM
So you crossed the Humpback Bridge too?

No, this happened on the W&OD on the way to to Vienna on Saturday.

consularrider
02-01-2016, 11:51 AM

I will have to defer on definition to W&W who created this Pointless Prize. I think a fall should include both the bike and the rider hitting the ground/snow/pavement.

wheels&wings
02-01-2016, 12:18 PM
I will have to defer on definition to W&W who created this Pointless Prize. I think a fall should include both the bike and the rider hitting the ground/snow/pavement.

What constitutes a “fall” for the London Bridge prize?

To me it means you don’t catch yourself with your feet and stay upright … you actually go down in one way or another. I have no interest in getting lawyerly and technical. If you feel it was a fall, and you live to tell the tale, that is good enough for me.

I don’t care about your bike… I mean, I do care, but not for this prize. If your bike magically stays upright in a snowbank while you topple over the handle bars, then that counts too (and I’d love to see the video :)).

I hope you do not get hurt… I hope everyone falls into nice deep fresh snow! But I know a lot of us are getting banged up, bruised, scraped, cracked…. It all counts.

Be safe! Happy riding. w&w

vvill
02-01-2016, 01:01 PM
I'm on one. Bike came to an unintentional stop on a gentle uphill in snow/slush about 10 feet into a ride. Didn't unclip in time. Hopefully my next door neighbors didn't see it.

Amalitza
02-01-2016, 01:08 PM
I believe per the definitions offered, one for me.

I put a foot down on invisible ice. Foot went sliding one direction, bike went sliding the opposite direction. Bike wound up on the ground and while I kept most of my body off the pavement, I had to catch myself with my hands (and maybe put a knee down) and carefully crabwalk off the slippery part before I could stand back up again and then retrieve the bike. It was all slow enough that it was more of a gentle lowering to the ground rather than truly falling, but it was certainly unintentional and neither me nor bike remained upright.

Boomer2U
02-01-2016, 02:49 PM
I went down twice on Snowmaggedon Friday on my commute home from DC. Once on 4MR where I failed to navigate the S turn leading up to the sewage plant (right shoulder is still a bit tender from that one). The second fall was after I hurried to cross Lee Highway on the WOD, and couldn't brake fast enough after clearing the busy intersection (wounded pride, as I was out in the open and had a line of cars staring right at me). Luckily I was on my steely hybrid, El Gordito, and he didn't care one way or the other.

Oh, and my real name is Bruce, and I'm from Nu Joisey, too.

Terpfan
02-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Also, given our definition, I will rescind my one fall since I don't feel it really counted. I'm more cautious since my last fall involved stiches, then again that was on a beautiful warm day without any snow.

Kitty
02-02-2016, 07:30 AM
I have 4 total, all related to the pre-blizzard ice night:

Wed Jan 20 (Ice Night)
*Going uphill on Pershing between Garfield and Highland -- first fall on this bike since I got her in May
*Going downhill on Clarendon after Courthouse (past the road closure with the flares :rolleyes:) -- bike and rider slid down the pavement for a few yards with the rider shouting a sarcastic "weeee"
*A block from my apartment in Rosslyn -- couldn't get traction on an iced over subway grate

Thurs Jan 21 (aftermath)
*New Hampshire through GWU -- explained to my boss why I was walking funny and he asked "Isn't...isn't there another way you can get to work?"

Dickie
02-02-2016, 12:56 PM
2 for me (so far)… both this morning. First on the WOD between Carlin Springs and 50. My bike followed an ice rut directly into the snow bank which didn't end well…. did the exact same thing near the tennis courts at Shreve.

jlevine
02-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Shortly after learning about this pointless prize just this morning, the black ice got me as I was making a slow, right turn on to Westmoreland St. from Fairfax Dr. It confirmed my intent not to win this prize, and to go back to studs on morning rides.

JonRobot
02-02-2016, 06:25 PM
oh man, if i knew my terrible bike handling skills would come in handy, i would have stayed out longer on the blizzard saturday. i only fell three times (full on sideways falls into piles of snow). a woman who was shoveling her stairs saw me one of the times and asked if i was just learning to ride a bike. awkward

Steve O
02-02-2016, 09:36 PM
two

DrP
02-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Two so far.

Both on pre-blizzard snow/slick road night.
First on Fairfax after getting off Bluemont because a car slipped on the road and I tried to avoid it and went down.
Second on Harrison trying to go up hill and tire slipped for three or more attempted pedal rotations.

BTC_DC
02-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Only one so far that truly counts.

I stubbornly insisted on riding over ice sheets on Crystal Dr during the pre-blizzard Thursday morning refreeze. Made memorable given the metro bus which (to me) seemed to be following too close behind. Nice thing about ice, you keep sliding forward after falling.

Dickie
02-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Make that three! Hit the slush last night at speed near the tennis courts at Shreve on the WOD….it was dark, I was rolling too fast, and I'm an idiot. Got sideways and ended up in the ditch…. which was filled with ice cold water and slush. I emerged half soaked and really cold. Had to strip down on the trail and put on the spare clothes from my backpack…. well at least the ones that were on the dry side of the back pack….. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*&K

Mikey
02-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Wow! sorry to hear that Dickie, I bet it looked freaking hilarious to everyone but you!

rcannon100
02-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Had to strip down on the trail and put on the spare clothes from my backpack

Pictures or it didnt happen

LeprosyStudyGroup
02-03-2016, 08:58 AM
2 this past week or so, and 1 close call. I plan to lose this prize, however.

consularrider
02-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Make that three! Hit the slush last night at speed near the tennis courts at Shreve on the WOD….it was dark, I was rolling too fast, and I'm an idiot. Got sideways and ended up in the ditch…. which was filled with ice cold water and slush. I emerged half soaked and really cold. Had to strip down on the trail and put on the spare clothes from my backpack…. well at least the ones that were on the dry side of the back pack….. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*&K

You have got to stop channeling FFG!

Rockford10
02-03-2016, 09:06 AM

Twice in the same day at the same spot? I was feeling proud of myself when I rolled through most of the WOD slush last night, but I walked that part.

Dickie
02-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Pictures or it didnt happen

Just trust me… it's better for everyone.

Vicegrip
02-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Just trust me… it's better for everyone.

Ya seen one slushy Dickie ya seen em all.

Almost went down in the same place last night. Got a foot down just in time while heading for the ground. Backtracked and took Shreve. After picking my way along from the C Cross intersection I tried to ride it through. Other might be good enough but not me. 2 seconds in I was heading down.

Vicegrip
02-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Hi! My name is Vicegrip and I am a cycling dumb-azz. You know how last night I turned around at Dickie's gully? Well tonight I thought to myself "It has to be all better tonight. Lets just go see" Get the the tennis court curve and it is a bit better but still mostly rutty slutty crud. I see this little bit of a wavy pavement line and decide to press on with some speed to carry me through the lumpy bits. Made it about 15 feet before going wheels up.
At least I stayed on the tarmac and only need a change of skivvies.

Put Vicegrip down for one please. https://www.strava.com/activities/485331729

Steve O
02-03-2016, 08:58 PM
The Shreve tennis courts area most certainly must be ride-able by now. Hasn't all the snow/ice/slush been scraped off by the sliding bodies?

Vicegrip
02-04-2016, 10:23 AM
You try and let me know OK?

All i managed to do was impress a backpack, hip and knee print into some crusty slush.

Still laughing at myself.......

Dickie
02-04-2016, 10:40 AM
The Shreve tennis courts area most certainly must be ride-able by now. Hasn't all the snow/ice/slush been scraped off by the sliding bodies?

The "Vice Dickie Grip" snow removal company does have marketing potential…. ahem

vvill
02-07-2016, 07:20 AM
Ok I have to admit I'm actually at 2 now, with one ice slide out yesterday (uphill, slow). It was shaded runoff on a low traffic road that had not yet defrosted from the overnight freezing. Having ridden through a bunch of icy patches in a straight line with no problem, I just approached this the same way, but I noticed that because it was on a reasonable gradient, and being a much longer patch than I thought, I couldn't keep my line as easily or keep my weight as well balanced. Nothing hurt on me nor the bike fortunately, other than pride. I was on road tires, 23mm on the rear, which is what slid out I think.

consularrider
02-17-2016, 07:43 AM
Just bumping to see if there are any new reports given the conditions of the past couple days.

jonathankrall
02-18-2016, 12:29 PM
I just noticed this thread. I had one crash on Feb 4. My first ride post-blizzard without snow tires. Ice. I don't crash often so hopefully I won't win this particular contest.

Vicegrip
02-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Put Vicegrip down for one more. Put a foot down on ice while sliding to a stop answering the stupid phone and almost did the splits. Turned the torso and slo-mo fell rather than become castrato.

dbb
02-19-2016, 09:43 AM
I finally went down for my first fall of the season.11006

Will leave it to the judges to determine if it counts.

Sitting at my desk working on a knuckle busting staff action and the desk chair catastrophically fails, putting me down.

Snow, ice or winter weather didn't seem to play a role in the crash.

ian74
02-19-2016, 09:56 AM
That's some interesting tile work behind the chair? Are you in a converted bathroom or something?

I finally went down for my first fall of the season.11006

Will leave it to the judges to determine if it counts.

Sitting at my desk working on a knuckle busting staff action and the desk chair catastrophically fails, putting me down.

Snow, ice or winter weather didn't seem to play a role in the crash.

dbb
02-19-2016, 10:01 AM
That is just the lovely putty color of the systems furniture cabinets. Not saying that a converted rest room wouldn't potentially be an upgrade.

wheels&wings
02-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Thanks to all who’ve been contributing to the London Bridge log. I must admit that I read this thread with fascination. Although “liking” would feel sadistic, I yearn to press an empathy button with each entry. And sometimes what you say is, frankly, painfully funny.

Believe me, I’ve been there too. Thanks for all the sharing and revelation. I know that we bicycle commuters can be a tough-as-nails lot. Freeze a few fingers, bleed some, all good, so long as we reach our destination. The London Bridge thread suggests that occasionally we can be vulnerable too. And that some of you may have future careers in stand-up (or fall-down) comedy.

At times we might even learn from our crashes. In January, for example, I cut a commercial driveway lip at too narrow an angle. There was a car behind me and one beside me, so I thought I’d be safest entering the driveway near-parallel to the edge instead of veering out into traffic. Of course my tire slid on the lip and my skin slid on the concrete. I will never ever do that one again.

In any case, thank you for sharing. I hope there’s nothing more to report on this London Bridge/ “I’m goin’ down” thread. But if there is, please keep those reports coming. Be safe. Hugs to each of you. w&w

consularrider
02-20-2016, 08:20 AM
I get to add one more fall for a total of six. I was out fatbiking on Trukhaniv Island on trails that were a mixture of packed or loose sand, dirt, frozen or moist mud, and grass. In one particularly messy stretch, I took a poor line and let my rear wheel slide in mud that was on frozen mud. Ouch, I'll have a good bruise on my right thigh soon.

JonRobot
03-13-2016, 07:47 PM
well shit. got hit by a car today but at least I get to add one to my tally. nothing broken on me or the bike, so that's nice

kwarkentien
03-13-2016, 08:59 PM
well shit. got hit by a car today but at least I get to add one to my tally. nothing broen on or the bike, so that's nice

So sorry about this. Glad you got away relatively unscathed but this is still such bad news.

consularrider
03-14-2016, 01:53 AM
well shit. got hit by a car today but at least I get to add one to my tally. nothing broen on or the bike, so that's nice
That's one way to get on the leader board we'd rather not see.

Boomer2U
03-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Third time is the charm.

I fell again while forming a pack of riders as lead marshal for the Vasa ride on the final ascent out of Beech Drive. I was tracking while talking and managed to ignore a high curb, hit it, and went down. I did however display text book tuck-n-roll technique, and remained clipped into my Speedplay Zero pedals (and thus saved the carbon fiber bike by sending it up as I went down). But not before landing on my right knee and getting some road rash.

There were three embarrasing moments with this fall:

1) Multiple witnesses. And I was the guy in the WABA safety vest with MARSHAL stamped on the chest (laying down on my back for all to read the block lettering).

2) Flailing like a turtle on its back. I couldn't clip out out of the bike while on my back, which is an overlooked skill that I obviously need to practice more often. One cyclist tried to help by grabbing the bike, to which I was still connected, so I screamed "NO," since I didn't want to get dragged back into the street still connected to the bike...

3) 911 distress call. My fall, and scream, caught the attention of an orthopaedic nurse who happened to be jogging by, who thought it was an ER moment. But once I saw that her knees were more banged up than mine, I declined assistance.

After instructing folks to twist my feet so that I could clip out from the pedals and disconnect from the bike, I got back on it and finished the ride. After the ride, I rode to CVS and bought Advil.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160320/b1c327d1aa00e68c6ae95d9ee60853a6.jpg
Check out my 1.6 mi Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/516322362

consularrider
03-20-2016, 01:31 PM
I've updated the original post with what I believe are everyone's' declared number of falls. Please double check.

Steve O
03-20-2016, 03:01 PM
I've updated the original post with what I believe are everyone's' declared number of falls. Please double check.

You can consolidate my two entries.

Boomer2U
03-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Ditto for me, for a total of 3 falls.

rcannon100
03-20-2016, 06:14 PM
I get to add one more fall for a total of six. I was out fatbiking on Trukhaniv Island ...

Uuuuuuummmmmmm Can I get a ruling on this????!!!!! I mean.... if you are out riding a fatbike.... arent you pretty much asking to fall down. It's like counting falls during a CX race. It's like counting missing teeth while playing hockey. It's like counting flopping during a soccer game. Just doesnt seem like this should count.

Maybe we could get the London Bridge Pointless Prize sponsor to give us a ruling on whether fat-bike falls count????

http://www.bikeacademy.at/files/Galerie%20Fat%20Bike/fat-crash-in-snow.jpg

hozn
03-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Yeah, off-road falls probably shouldn't count. I mean, it's half expected, right? If I had a dollar for every time I have wiped out on the MTB, I could probably buy myself some body armor and a new helmet.

Steve O
03-20-2016, 10:08 PM
I suggest this be self-officiated. If you think it's a fall that deserves recognition within the Freezing Saddles framework, then it counts. If you fall every week doing your usual MTB ride, then decide for yourself if it should count.

If you took your fatbike out for groceries or on your commute and went down in the snowstorm, then I would say yes. If you took your fatbike into the woods with the intention of going crazy on it, then probably not.
-------------------
That said, I had a 3rd fall a few weeks ago:

At the south end of the MBT, where you make the u-turn on the switchback down to M street, my front wheel slid out on a gravel patch; slow speed. I got my foot out in time to keep from totally falling over, but the bike slid down. I fault winter for the fact that the sand/gravel was there even though weather was not a factor.

sammyiam
03-21-2016, 10:09 AM
I had one fall in which I yelled "SHOOT" as I flailed out on black ice in Brookland. Banged head, requiring new helmet :(

wheels&wings
03-21-2016, 10:55 AM
I suggest this be self-officiated.

Hmm… I think this makes sense. I’m not ready to rule out fat-biking on snow and ice just ‘cause the rider knows they are operating with a (high) likelihood of crashing. In the gymnastics world (more familiar turf for me), wouldn’t that be equivalent to saying that layout-stepouts (like this one at Saturday’s competition) should not count ‘cause the gymnast knows that sometimes she is going to miss the beam?

From the pictures of mud, ice and snow that consularrider has been posting, I would think that those bruises must ache like any other -- even without the psychic pain we share in Boomer’s very poignant Pulitzer-deserving report of fall #3.

In any case, I plan to award more than one winner.

Here is my current list of London Bridge falls. Updates and corrections welcome.
consularrider: 6
kitty: 4
Subby: 4
SteveO: 3
Boomer2U: 3
DCV: 3
Dickie: 3
Jon Robot: 3
Lynn Salvo: 3
vvill: 2
DrP: 2
LeprosyStudyGroup: 2
JonRobot: 2
Vicegrip: 2
Mikey: 1
J Wetzel: 1
Teresa A: 1
Amalitza: 1
jlevine: 1
BTC_DC: 1
jonathankrall: 1
hozn: 1
Lordofthemark: 1
sammyiam: 1
Shawnofthedread: 1
wheels&wings: 1

Steve O
03-21-2016, 11:13 AM
SteveO: 4

Correction: This should be 3. Consular mistakenly counted my Feb 2 entry as two falls.

rcannon100
03-21-2016, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Bob was just making fun of the Prize Sponsor

Not true. Sounds completely rigged to me. I mean, you might as well have a prize for most rides in Kiev ~ or most rides by a parent of a VCU student! It's a communist conspiracy I tell you.

https://youtu.be/MoATWN68IZA

ShawnoftheDread
03-21-2016, 12:21 PM
I got away with only one fall this winter. Turning onto the Custis from the WOD, I knew I wasn't going to make the turn on the ice despite riding studs, so I rode straight into the snow by the small shelter. I then went over the bars as the bike stopped, landing in soft snow. The bike almost stayed upright even without me on it.

consularrider
03-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Not true. Sounds completely rigged to me. I mean, you might as well have a prize for most rides in Kiev ~ or most rides by a parent of a VCU student! It's a communist conspiracy I tell you.

https://youtu.be/MoATWN68IZA

No communists in Kyiv anymore, really. :rolleyes:

wheels&wings
03-21-2016, 12:30 PM

Ooh, that’s a great idea. A prize for the most rides in Kiev. Or for the guy who posts the cutest pictures of puppies. Or for the weirdo who won’t let any butts touch her saddle. :)
It’s not Commie. It’s a democracy of the bicycle-riding people, and we can make up our own stupid rules!! w&w

consularrider
03-21-2016, 02:23 PM
From the Strava Freezing Saddles Lynn Salvo posted: "I had three falls, two minor but I still have a bump from the first really hard fall in January."

consularrider
03-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Ooh, that’s a great idea. A prize for the most rides in [Kyiv]. Or for the guy who posts the cutest pictures of puppies. Or for the weirdo who won’t let any butts touch her saddle. :)
It’s not Commie. It’s a democracy of the bicycle-riding people, and we can make up our own stupid rules!! w&w

What do puppies have to do with riding a bike in the winter??? :confused:

KayakCyndi
03-21-2016, 02:41 PM
I got away with only one fall this winter. Turning onto the Custis from the WOD, I knew I wasn't going to make the turn on the ice despite riding studs, so I rode straight into the snow by the small shelter. I then went over the bars as the bike stopped, landing in soft snow. The bike almost stayed upright even without me on it.

Need video.

rcannon100
03-21-2016, 03:43 PM
What do puppies have to do with riding a bike ??? :confused:

https://momentummag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/sidecar.jpg

Stop Everything You’re Doing and Build a Bicycle Sidecar for Your Dog (https://momentummag.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-build-a-bicycle-sidecar-for-your-dog/)

consularrider
03-21-2016, 04:06 PM
Well, if you actually had one of those and brought your dog with you, we might cut you some slack. Then again if you're riding around like that on a flat tire I wouldn't want to be seen with you.

rcannon100
03-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Well, if you actually had one of those and brought your dog with you, we might cut you some slack. Then again if you're riding around like that on a flat tire I wouldn't want to be seen with you.

I know! Isnt that flat tire awful!!

Still - I must have some friend who has the chops to build one of these!

consularrider
03-21-2016, 04:34 PM
I know! Isnt that flat tire awful!!

Still - I must have some friend who has the chops to build one of these!

Well, if you'd like one made of wood, we do know The Proper Carpenter, LLC (http://thepropercarpenter.com/default4.asp).

bikeeveryday
04-21-2016, 08:06 AM
I have a late entry: March 5, 2016 around 3:45 pm on Tuckerman Lane. T-boned a car that pulled out in front of me. Garmin says I was doing 28 mph... Unfortunately, this ended my Freezing Saddles #bikeeveryday streak...

Started PT last week, and hope to be back at work in May, approximately 2 months after the collision. Congrats to all the Freezing Saddles winners!

wheels&wings
04-21-2016, 08:56 AM
I have a late entry: March 5, 2016 around 3:45 pm on Tuckerman Lane. T-boned a car that pulled out in front of me. Garmin says I was doing 28 mph... Unfortunately, this ended my Freezing Saddles #bikeeveryday streak...

Started PT last week, and hope to be back at work in May, approximately 2 months after the collision. Congrats to all the Freezing Saddles winners!

Yikes. Sounds terrifying. Multiple fractures, I presume? Sending healing wishes!! w&w

bikeeveryday
04-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Yikes. Sounds terrifying. Multiple fractures, I presume? Sending healing wishes!! w&w

Yep. C6 fracture, both hands sprained, right arm bruising, right hip dislocation, right knee bruised/laceration, left big toe dislocation and fracture, and concussion. Helmet cracked all around. Thanks for the well wishes.

wheels&wings
04-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Yep. C6 fracture, both hands sprained, right arm bruising, right hip dislocation, right knee bruised/laceration, left big toe dislocation and fracture, and concussion. Helmet cracked all around. Thanks for the well wishes.

Good heavens that is scary!!! Especially the C6 fracture and the concussion. And no doubt it hurt like hell with all the dislocations and lacerations. Miserable! Thank goodness you are alive and on the mend. Hugs from w&w.

wheels&wings
01-02-2017, 07:57 PM
I hope we do not need the London Bridge Prize in 2017 because we all stay upright. But just in case, here is the thread on which to record your crashes for purposes of Freezing Saddles.

Please note: This prize is grounded in empathy. I have gone down way too many times on the ice - it can be terrifying and painful. Any humor associated with this prize is laughing with you and not at you. If you crash, you are in good company. But I hope you don’t.

This is the prize for the most crashes…London Bridge is falling down…

What constitutes a “fall” for the London Bridge prize?

To me it means you don’t catch yourself with your feet – you don’t stay upright … you actually go down in one way or another. I have no interest in getting lawyerly and technical. If you feel it was a fall, and you live to tell the tale, that is good enough.

I don’t care about your bike… I mean, I do care, but not for this prize. If your bike magically stays upright in a snowbank while you topple over the handle bars, then that counts too.

I hope you do not get hurt… I hope everyone who goes down lands in nice deep fresh snow. But if history repeats, that may not be the case.

Be safe!! Happy riding. w&w

consularrider
01-03-2017, 03:57 AM
Hopefully I won't win this prize in 2017 because I have left the icy forest trails of Kyiv behind. Two #BAFS rides so far in 2017, both with some snow, and no falls. :p

wheels&wings
01-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Awkward admission. This first entry in the 2017 London Bridge log is my own. I turned too abruptly and skidded on the wet bricks atop Key Bridge. My London Bridge experience was not graceful, to put it mildly. On the bright side, the result was nothing more than a garden-variety skinned knee beneath my tights, fixable with a couple BandAids that I took from the office first aid kit when nobody was looking. But the psychic pain of telling y’all is enormous.
Actually I’ve known these skinny slicks were a poor match for me, so I ordered grippier tires just last week. Hopefully I will get them soon.
In any case, just for the record, I am ineligible to win my own prize… unless perhaps I come up with something truly awesome to award, in which case I am totally in the running. :)

Judd
01-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Near point for me on the way in. Frozen puddle in a sidewalk cutout gave me a good wiggle but I stayed upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

consularrider
01-06-2017, 08:35 AM
My first #BAFS 2017 take down. We've finally had a stretch of freezing weather in Frankfurt and today I was riding on a crushed gravel path in the Volkspark Niddatal and was turning onto another path. The trail surface at the junction was more frozen mud with a sheen of gray ice and my front knobby tire on the Pugsley slid out and I went down. Bruised upper thigh and I am putting the studded Dillingers on tonight since I've been noticing the Surly Nate tires are pretty squirrelly on ice.

drevil
01-06-2017, 10:09 AM
My first #BAFS 2017 take down. We've finally had a stretch of freezing weather in Frankfurt and today I was riding on a crushed gravel path in the Volkspark Niddatal and was turning onto another path. The trail surface at the junction was more frozen mud with a sheen of gray ice and my front knobby tire on the Pugsley slid out and I went down. Bruised upper thigh and I am putting the studded Dillingers on tonight since I've been noticing the Surly Nate tires are pretty squirrelly on ice.

How are the studded Dillingers? We rarely get enough ice for me to justify the cost, so I bought a couple of bags of Kold Kutter screws and plan to stud some old Nates instead.

After I'm done I will seek out and destroy all ice (like this guy) ;)

https://youtu.be/synsozdV34I

consularrider
01-07-2017, 02:42 AM
How are the studded Dillingers? We rarely get enough ice for me to justify the cost, so I bought a couple of bags of Kold Kutter screws and plan to stud some old Nates instead.

After I'm done I will seek out and destroy all ice (like this guy) ;)

https://youtu.be/synsozdV34I

I did four forest road rides last winter in Kyiv where there was frequent ice which I wouldn't have considered without the studs. I still went down enough to win the London Bridge pointless prize last year, but only one was because of sliding out on the ice. I haven't ridden them much on paved trail/roads with ice, so don't know how they will compare to my Schwalbw Marathon Winters which I've used on my street bikes

Judd
01-12-2017, 09:22 PM
I had my first London Bridge yesterday morning. I was turning left on to the Mt. Vernon Trail at the Merchant Memorial. Bam! I was on the ground in an instant. No wheel wiggle. No chance to save it. And it was totally unexpected. The trail had been completely dry the day before and when I checked the weather before I left, it didn't appear that it had been below freezing the night before. But there I was, on the ground, pressed against the thinnest layer of black ice imaginable.

A very kind jogger checked to make sure I was okay. I'm really tall so I'm really good at landing on my ribs. I cracked the right side last summer on a slippery bridge and two to three months to heal. After two days, I think I'm fracture free. I've got a pretty good welt on my hip. I also discovered today that I have a small hole in my softshell which is a bummer because it's really nice (and expensive) Showers Pass softshell. The Showers Pass website recommended putting waterproof tape over it and "wearing my battle scar with pride". So I'm going to do that!

Stay safe out there people. I hope I'm the only entrant for the rest of the competition.

Edelweiss
01-13-2017, 07:48 PM
Here is how it went down: I was riding into the sunset on the Northwest Branch Trail, thought it was pretty and stopped for a picture. I included it here. While stopped, a darling little black puppy ran up and jumped up on my bike, and did ciccles between my feet and the tires. A little boy came to get him, the puppy, named Ruby. We chatted a it, I was told Ruby likes to chase things. I asked the mom to keep an eye on Ruby because I was about to start riding again.
They were a few yard ahead of me, Just at the point where the trail crosses a flat wooden bridge and juts up steeply to a crosswalk. My plan was to blast past the puppy and stop at the road. Until the puppy was racing me across the bridge, eluded the mom's grip, and then he came too close to my moving bike. I slowed down but did not have enough momentum to crest the steep hill, nor could I clip out as my forward progress ceased. I toppled over oddly, landing on my right hand and wrist, and my bike smashed into my right knee. OUCH.
I got my Lakes off the pedals, the bike was straight up in the air above me--remember, I am on a steep incline. The mom pulled it away as I got up. The puppy was fine. I am icing my knee and hand. My bike is fine. It was like falling on skis because of the hill. I will be fine, I rode the rest of the way home, about 7 miles. I am going to have a dandy bruise on my inner knee.
I am so sad to be a contestant in this Pointless Prize contest.

I have a glorious bruise and hematoma on my leg just above my inner knee, ice is helping and ithe injury is not impacting my rides. The wrist is sprained, it hurts. I am trying to take it easy, braking on a slippery wet downhil today was taxing.

Steve O
01-13-2017, 11:28 PM
I always feel odd "liking" these posts. What we need for these is a "sympathize" button.

Judd
01-14-2017, 03:03 AM
Here is how it went down: I was riding into the sunset on the Northwest Branch Trail, thought it was pretty and stopped for a picture....

I am so sad to be a contestant in this Pointless Prize contest.

That's a great picture. Sorry to have you in the running for this prize. Of course, none of this would have happened if you had been spending more time eating doughnuts and less time biking. I hope the ice pack fixes everything and you recover quickly.

Judd
01-14-2017, 03:04 AM
I always feel odd "liking" these posts. What we need for these is a "sympathize" button.

Every time that I get a shooting pain in the ribs as I get out of bed in the morning I will now think, "Steve O likes this."

Edelweiss
01-14-2017, 07:19 PM
That's a great picture. Sorry to have you in the running for this prize. Of course, none of this would have happened if you had been spending more time eating doughnuts and less time biking. I hope the ice pack fixes everything and you recover quickly.

Little do you know! I had a rendevous with a Doughneurer on the Trail about 10 minutes later and was slipped a fabulous Doughnut Bribe. It tasted great later that night. e

Judd
01-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Little do you know! I had a rendevous with a Doughneurer on the Trail about 10 minutes later and was slipped a fabulous Doughnut Bribe. It tasted great later that night. e

Doughneuring is getting hard when I have to start stuffing doughnut bribes in my jersey just in case we cross paths.

ian74
01-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Score one for me.

Sunday morning I went out early, crossed the wooden bridge north of Old Town on my way to Four Mile Run, came back around 8 am, as I approached the same wooden bridge, a nice older gentleman told me to be careful, it was slippery. He was correct! Even though there hadn't been ice on the bridge when I left, it was now icy, when the bridge turned, I turned and my bike just kind of slowly slid out from under me and we went down. Fortunately, the soft wood broke my fall. Bike was OK. I have a skinned knee and a bruised butt cheek.

Damn, I was like 100 yds from home too.

drevil
01-17-2017, 01:34 PM
I was descending a slippery, rooty downhill at Camp Tamarancho (https://www.strava.com/activities/834412954) when my front wheel suddenly went to the left and my head went to the right causing me to headbutt a tree at a decent speed. It rung my bell, cracked my helmet, and made me feel like I lost about a 1/2" in height. Luckily it was towards the end of the ride (always, amirite?). My neck and shoulders are still achey.

Judd
01-17-2017, 01:34 PM
I have a skinned knee and a bruised butt cheek.

Pics? A/S/L?

wheels&wings
01-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Again and again and again, this thread screams out for an empathy button.
Ribs, knees, butts, heads... amongst us we could soon cover a whole edition of Grey's Anatomy.
Heal fast, everyone... sending virtual ibuprofen and icepacks.
Let's hope no more crashes for the rest of the season.
Hugs from w&w

Brett L.
01-17-2017, 01:51 PM
I hate seeing this thread get bumped. I'm glad both of you are generally ok, and Drevil please take it easy. Sounds like a pretty serious fall, so be safe out there!

ian74
01-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Pics? A/S/L?

47, M, live with parents.

drevil
01-17-2017, 02:34 PM
I hate seeing this thread get bumped. I'm glad both of you are generally ok, and Drevil please take it easy. Sounds like a pretty serious fall, so be safe out there!

Thanks, will do. I always mountain bike as much as possible whenever visiting my brothers here in San Fran, but I think this one dirt ride is enough for this trip. Gonna stick to the Brompton and scoot around on the roads until the end of this trip.

kwarkentien
02-04-2017, 09:15 PM
My inaugural London Bridge entry: today upon arrival back at my condo. Was coming to a stop and getting ready to dismount before bringing my bike upstairs. Put my foot down on the smooth concrete and it slipped across it and down we went, Roo's Ruze and I. Landed on my right knee and elbow but nothing major. Only thing hurt was my pride. But now RR has gotten his first fall out of the way. [emoji41]

CBGanimal
02-04-2017, 09:33 PM
My inaugural London Bridge entry: today upon arrival back at my condo. Was coming to a stop and getting ready to dismount before bringing my bike upstairs. Put my foot down on the smooth concrete and it slipped across it and down we went, Roo's Ruze and I. Landed on my right knee and elbow but nothing major. Only thing hurt was my pride. But now RR has gotten his first fall out of the way. [emoji41]

Damn chica! Glad you're ok more or less!

secstate
02-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Add me to the list. My first week with clipless pedals ended with my first fall of the season: an uphill hairpin turn on gravel, getting off the Georgetown Branch Trail, in the dark. I lost too much momentum, and the bike and I toppled over. It was surprisingly sudden! I'm fine, the bike's fine, and thankfully the guy I passed on the bridge over Rock Creek hadn't caught up to see!!

Next time will be in traffic, no doubt.

komorebi
02-26-2017, 07:56 PM
Add me to the list. My first week with clipless pedals ended with my first fall of the season: an uphill hairpin turn on gravel, getting off the Georgetown Branch Trail, in the dark. I lost too much momentum, and the bike and I toppled over. It was surprisingly sudden! I'm fine, the bike's fine, and thankfully the guy I passed on the bridge over Rock Creek hadn't caught up to see!!

Next time will be in traffic, no doubt.

Ouch. Glad that you and the bike are OK, and that you escaped with your dignity intact as well.

Steve O
02-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Ouch. Glad that you and the bike are OK, and that you escaped with your dignity intact as well.

Likewise I am glad you are not hurt. OTOH, it builds character to do the forgot-to-clip-out tipover with a lot of people around. Hopefully you will have a chance to join the club.

Birru
02-27-2017, 12:36 PM
I joined the Bikenetic C&O ride on Sunday and it was lovely. Until we rode back up 41st St N. Once I hit the switchbacks at the top I forgot to downshift. Combined with my poor slow-speed handling skills (something I really should practice, honestly) I came to a near stop and toppled in slow motion, drive-side down (always drive-side down!). I at least rolled my body as I went, so it was physically painless, but there were witnesses. :o

CBGanimal
02-27-2017, 06:49 PM
I joined the Bikenetic C&O ride on Sunday and it was lovely. Until we rode back up 41st St N. Once I hit the switchbacks at the top I forgot to downshift. Combined with my poor slow-speed handling skills (something I really should practice, honestly) I came to a near stop and toppled in slow motion, drive-side down (always drive-side down!). I at least rolled my body as I went, so it was physically painless, but there were witnesses. :o

I missed that! Glad you're okay though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim Kelley
02-28-2017, 07:44 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I had a friend who was trying out 41st street for the first time, end up spraining his wrist when he toppled over near the top!

Vicegrip
03-03-2017, 06:26 AM
My turn.

Forgot about a recessed valve cover in the road, hit it at 15 mph while my hands were flat on the bars. Nice splat with a cheese grater slide into home plate for the win. Bike went over on the non drive side and the brifter and a skewer lever took the brunt. The motor took a hit to the right side control arm center pivot and right side drive unit. I put some real world Gore into my magic gore Windstopper jacket and gloves. Even managed to grind a corner off my Garmin vioactive hr.

Edelweiss
03-18-2017, 10:43 PM
A real Freezing Saddles Crash in the snow. Here is how it went down: I started riding a few minutes before Midnight, discovered the Trail was very snow crusted, so I took the road and looped through my Friday Sleaze, stopped Strava. I restarted it to record my Saturday Sleaze, rode around, decided to try a short stretch of trail to get home When It Happened!
I rode through the innocent-looking section of slushy snow and clipped out, just in case...in case was right! The next thing I knew, I was on my side in the snow and the Surly was down! Luckily, I was unharmed, and the bike is fine. I recorded evidence, righted the Surly, walked it off a few feet, and mounted up to continue the end of the ride.
Riding after midnight has the advantage that no one ever sees you crash. Kate

Kitty
03-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Well, I was hoping to avoid posting in this thread this year, and yet here we are.

I went down on Wednesday: the first day after the not-snow-day. I was crossing 66 to meet up with Custis to head into the city when I discovered the entire right lane filled with slush. At least, it had been slush at one time, by morning it had refrozen into a solid blob and I went down. Thankfully, it was a slow roll and I mostly caught myself before going down hard.

The thing is, that wasn't even the worst part of that ride. That award goes to attempting to push the bike all the way across a similarly frozen Roosevelt bridge (dist: 1 mi+) after the deceptive shoveling that stopped at Trollheim. By that point I thought "too late to turn back now, how bad can it be?" Answer: Bad. :p

drevil
03-19-2017, 09:49 AM
... so I took the road and looped through my Friday Sleaze, stopped Strava. I restarted it to record my Saturday Sleaze...
I must remember this two-for-one deal for next year's Freezing Saddles. So you only have to suit up once for two days, nice! :)

...has the advantage that no one ever sees you crash. Kate
But, but, but, crashes make (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/15134310110) mo' (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/9484237768/) better (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/14878487632/) pictures (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecentric/5408716681)! :D

cvcalhoun
03-19-2017, 12:46 PM
I must remember this two-for-one deal for next year's Freezing Saddles. So you only have to suit up once for two days, nice! :)I have, alas, been doing this a lot. Stay at work so late it's close to midnight when I start home, then reset my Garmin at midnight or a little after. Even if this gives me two days of rides at the cost of suiting up once, it's not worth it.

Of course, I typically don't even need the Friday part of the ride, since I'll have biked in to work Friday morning. But I have to admit, after a long week of late nights, being able to sleep late Saturday is nice.

wheels&wings
03-23-2017, 04:37 PM
If I’m not mistaken, we have 10 people in the running for the London Bridge prize -- beyond my own inaugural crash, which didn’t actually count ‘cause I was just showing everyone how it’s done… breaking the ice, so to speak.

Any additions to this list?
consularrider – 1
Judd – 1
Edelweiss – 2
Ian 74 – 1
drevil – 1
kwarkentien – 1
secstate – 1
Birru – 1
Vicegrip – 1
Kitty – 1

Some of the above sounded quite uncomfortable. I hope the scabs have healed.
Hugs from w&w.

Steve O
03-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Felkerino posted a CaBi crash on Strava but didn't enter it on this thread, despite my encouragement.

I might be entitled to 1/2 point for my almost crash while attempting a danger panda (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?11593-Danger-Panda-Pointless-Prize&p=156857#post156857), mainly because I actually caught it on camera.

Birru
03-23-2017, 05:30 PM
It looks like I have a chance to podium!

Judd
03-23-2017, 06:39 PM
If I’m not mistaken, we have 10 people in the running for the London Bridge prize -- beyond my own inaugural crash, which didn’t actually count ‘cause I was just showing everyone how it’s done… breaking the ice, so to speak.

Any additions to this list?
consularrider – 1
Judd – 1
Edelweiss – 2
Ian 74 – 1
drevil – 1
kwarkentien – 1
secstate – 1
Birru – 1
Vicegrip – 1
Kitty – 1

Some of the above sounded quite uncomfortable. I hope the scabs have healed.
Hugs from w&w.d

I wish I had scabs from mine. The old ribs finally stopped hurting at night last week. Today I have a good leg bruise going from wiping out last night while doing a practice lap for the garage race.

Tania
03-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Clearly none of you mountain bike.

Vicegrip
03-24-2017, 06:39 AM
Clearly none of you mountain bike.:D

At least when I am MTN biking I know I am going to fall off now and then. Was out at Wakefield a few months ago with the kids and my big brick of a 90 pound Boxer, Otto. No bikes just hiking around on a nice day. One of the kids started to run down the banked switchback banking the curves while making motor sounds. I felt the need to do the same sans the motor sounds. while doing so Otto feels the need to run straight down the hill and T bones me in the legs. I go down in a pile. Dear Daughter says "Jeeze Dad, you don't even need a bike to fall on the trail"

Judd
03-24-2017, 07:21 AM
:D

At least when I am MTN biking I know I am going to fall off now and then. Was out at Wakefield a few months ago with the kids and my big brick of a 90 pound Boxer, Otto. No bikes just hiking around on a nice day. One of the kids started to run down the banked switchback banking the curves while making motor sounds. I felt the need to do the same sans the motor sounds. while doing so Otto feels the need to run straight down the hill and T bones me in the legs. I go down in a pile. Dear Daughter says "Jeeze Dad, you don't even need a bike to fall on the trail"

This probably wouldn't have happened if you would have been making motor sounds.

Tania
03-24-2017, 08:19 AM
This probably wouldn't have happened if you would have been making motor sounds.

Life is better with sound effects.

Judd
03-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Most people who have ridden with me with any type of regularity can attest to the fact that I often make motorcycle sounds on group rides and also encourage my fellow riders with a hearty, "Let's win this!" as we begin rolling.

Vicegrip
03-24-2017, 10:49 AM

I keep telling this to my wife but she thinks the sounds I tend to make are not polite

As an adult who has not been"caught" making motor sounds while riding in public :)

Boomer2U
04-03-2017, 07:21 PM
This was my first of 2 falls during BAFS 2017 during a rare freezing spell in Bristol UK. I was commuting home from work, after dark, on national bike rout 33, where I hit black ice while navigating a switch back over a creek, when the bike went out from underneath me, and I went down hard. I laid on the ground a bit, cussing, got up back on my bike, and finished the commute home. I had a bruised hip and ego, but no witnesses!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170404/0d82ca3bdb458d3456be0a3b0089a190.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Boomer2U
04-04-2017, 09:11 AM
My second fall was not recorded for prosperity but was witnessed by my Neice. We were returning from the train station when we got caught in a rain shower that turned the cobble stone street and slate sidewalks into traps of death, and we both went down. We then walked our bikes home for the last mile of shame. Sigh.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Brett L.
01-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Guess it's time to revive this thread. I fortunately have nothing to contribute, but I did hear tale of a couple falls on icy trails.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

supernova
01-08-2018, 10:53 PM
I went completely down at 7pm tonight on a sheet of ice that had formed in the driveway of the Washington Marina Company. Landed on the broken elbow that took me out for Freezing Saddles 2016 and have a nice little bump on said elbow and a sore right side. I blame my 'getting stuff done' streak at work as I could have left at 2:45pm. I need to work on doing less work. :cool:

Kitty
01-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Yeowch! Sorry to hear that Supernova! :( For what its worth, you've now garenteed yourself a Pointless Prize at the end of this! Wheels & Wings is kind to the tumbled

josh
01-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Bike came out from under me right after the bridge over 66 in Ballston headed towards the Custis. RD is out-of-whack, but no damage to me.

QuikAF77
01-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Black ice got me twice last night. First was going up the pedestrian overpass in Springfield, wiped out hard. Had to walk/slide down the down ramp. Less than 10 minutes later I came around a curve on the Franconia Metro path and slid out, sliding for 30+ feet. Only my pride was wounded although I did lose an expensive Lezune tail light.

Boomer2U
01-09-2018, 09:45 AM
I have two entries already for #BAFS2018 that tie my #BAFS2017 performance!

I went down on "black ice" last night around 6 PM heading West on the WOD at mile 6.0 near the shelter and again at mile 7.5 near the Popular Heights tennis courts. Both are notorious cold spots and are always the first to freeze and last to thaw in this neck of the woods.

I rode the gravel service road/path alongside the WOD in between falls, which had much better traction, but alas, shouldn't have gone back onto the WOD after regaining my confidence. Luckily I distributed my falls on either side of my body (and bike), and only scuffed up a knee.

A few notes to self:

1. Stay off the black ice after the first fall. Either stick to the gravel or take to the streets where they have been treated for ice.
2. Bar Mitts are great for absorbing impact! They also ensure you keep your hands on the bars for better control since you can't extract your hand fast enough to break your fall. It also means that you don't break collar bones, wrists or fingers by keeping your hands on the bars while going down!
3. College football "hit and roll on your shoulder" reflex still intact!
4. Ditto for slapping out reflex on Judo falls for when you get hip tossed by somebody else (which was emulated on my 2nd fall)
5. Install Medical Information Carrier System labels in bike helmet https://blackarmorhelmets.com/products/medical-information-carrier-system-mics
6. Switch out wrist band on ROAD ID braclet https://www.roadid.com/pages/coupons

I now have a deeper appreciate for the Little City known as "Falls Church!"

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180109/6a6e20f9b17174fe67e65e96e09760f6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180109/3c8e1b94a939c551a573b9da77421fed.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180109/afca21a3e4edf497d6d85505ee720f4e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180109/e0a045bacbae51c3f7900989bf37ed9f.jpg

DrP
01-09-2018, 09:45 AM
For some reason I didn't think about non-ground surfaces being too cold and freezing since it had been over 32 most of yesterday afternoon. I found out the hard way last night on the 4MRT in between the two underpasses south (or east) of Shirlington that they do indeed freeze before other surfaces. Beautiful, quick wipe out. No apparent damage to bike nor myself, although I started to feel a little stiff later in the evening and this morning, but not bad.

I kept this in mind when I later had to cross I-66 on the Ballston connector between Fairfax Dr and the Custis. I managed to not go down, although that was likely because it was a short, flat stretch and I decided to not try turning with the trail. I nearly forgot again on my front steps, but also didn't go down.

CPTJohnC
01-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Okay - I have my first entry for this year and it's a dumb one. Taking the second curve on the MBT heading towards the 1st. st NE PBL from Brookland. I'd become over confident because all the other slick looking spots had been fine. Shade. Shade will get you every time. I know this. I know because shade gets me every year. Low speed tumble with no injury to me or to my Tern folding bike. My speaker popped out of its bracket, but kept rocking the tunes (Daft Punk at that point, I believe).

bentbike33
01-09-2018, 10:08 AM
My fall came just as I stopped to get off my bike at my house. I had left work a bit early, and the studded tires kept me upright through the beginning of the freezing rain. Even the last turn on the ice was executed without incident as the studs held like magic. But my foot could find no purchase after stopping and down I went. Neighbor came over to see if I was OK. No injury, but had to straighten out the handlebar.

Judd
01-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Saw lots of fall reports on Strava. After bruising the ribs really bad last year on black ice I decided to telework today instead of risking it. Lots of slick spots on the sidewalks when I went out for a moment at 10 this morning. Be safe out there everyone.

cvcalhoun
01-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Saw lots of fall reports on Strava. After bruising the ribs really bad last year on black ice I decided to telework today instead of risking it. Lots of slick spots on the sidewalks when I went out for a moment at 10 this morning. Be safe out there everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI was very nervous seeing all the Strava fall reports before I left last night. But the tire chains did their job.

drevil
01-09-2018, 11:32 AM
My fall came just as I stopped to get off my bike at my house. I had left work a bit early, and the studded tires kept me upright through the beginning of the freezing rain. Even the last turn on the ice was executed without incident as the studs held like magic. But my foot could find no purchase after stopping and down I went. Neighbor came over to see if I was OK. No injury, but had to straighten out the handlebar.

Doh! I've learned that lesson as well. Glad you're OK.

Nowadays, if I know I'm going to be riding on ice, I usually wear my shoes to which I've added Kold Kutter 3/8" studs (https://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Snowmobile-Traction-Screws/dp/B008N6AQXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515519038&sr=8-1&keywords=kold+kutter+3%2F8). A pack is cheap insurance that you can use to easily stud tires and shoes. The grip on ice is so good it's like walking on concrete with Crocs :o

bentbike33
01-09-2018, 11:37 AM

Nowadays, if I know I'm going to be riding on ice, I usually wear my shoes to which I've added Kold Kutter 3/8" studs (https://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Snowmobile-Traction-Screws/dp/B008N6AQXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515519038&sr=8-1&keywords=kold+kutter+3%2F8). A pack is cheap insurance that you can use to easily stud tires and shoes. The grip on ice is so good it's like walking on concrete with Crocs :o

Interesting idea. I'll have to find a way to adapt my shoe covers.

drevil
01-09-2018, 11:39 AM

I forgot this was a mostly roadie forum. I wouldn't recommend Kold Kutters for pavement riding. They're too big and gnarly and you'll get nowhere fast :) Riding on frozen lakes and ice waterfalls are what they're made for (not me in the vid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synsozdV34I

But still, a few in properly placed ones in your shoes and you won't slip, slide, or glide.

Birru
01-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Incident free... so far. My N=1 bike has tubeless 37c Riddlers so I don’t want to deal with switching between those and studded tires.

I’ve also been praying to my 2017 London Bridge medallion on behalf of The Fallen.

bentbike33
01-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Incident free... so far. My N=1 bike has tubeless 37c Riddlers so I don’t want to deal with switching between those and studded tires.

Having W=2 wheelsets makes switching to studs and back easy.

sjclaeys
01-09-2018, 01:12 PM
Last night (Jan. 8) I successfully rode on slightly worn tires through Georgetown with speeding cars, up the Custis, over a number of slick overpasses, across an ice glazed bridge with no side rails over Four Mile Run, got to my house, and then wiped out on my icy driveway. Good times.

Birru
01-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Having W=2 wheelsets makes switching to studs and back easy.

If I could get away with throwing money at the problem I immediately would. Long-term I'll get myself some fancy wheels and relegate the stock set to abusive conditions.

closebr
01-09-2018, 04:17 PM
I have two entries for London Bridges:
1. A fall on black ice last night around 6:30 pm on the College Park Trolley Trail in Riverdale Junction. It was so slick that I kept sliding once I hit the ground. I probably only traveled 20' but it felt like I was sliding forever. Would have been funny to have a video of that.
2. Another fall this morning, on the Klingle Valley Trail, which was a sheet of ice. I was riding on the leaves/gravel on the side of the trail and hit a hole underneath all the leaves. Luckily, that fall was padded by a big pile of leaves and I was going slow.

hozn
01-09-2018, 07:05 PM
If I could get away with throwing money at the problem I immediately would. Long-term I'll get myself some fancy wheels and relegate the stock set to abusive conditions.We should talk! :-)

Bob James
01-09-2018, 07:32 PM
I was doing good for about 35 miles in fog and black ice in the dark. Just when the temps were rising above freezing, I neared a busy intersection with a long light. I was on the Prince William Parkway trail and made a quick (and foolish) decision to cut left off the trail onto the road to hit the light faster before it changed. The fall was witnessed by about 100 commuters. Needless to say I did not make the light as I dropped landing on left hip and wrist. I also scratched my sunglasses landing on my face.

consularrider
01-10-2018, 05:47 AM
Does it really qualify for London Bridge if it's not freezing out! I went down today by the SV 07 Heddernheim fields. I was leading a HDCC ride along the Nidda to Bad Vilbel when I saw that three members of our group had fallen behind. I made a u-turn to close the gap and as I made the second u-turn I drifted to the side of the lane where there is a four cobblestone gutter pan. I hit one of the stones that was slightly raised and had a sheen (not Charlie) of mud and my wheel slid slowly sideways and down I went. No pretty pictures and no damage to me or the bike.

bentbike33
01-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Entry number 2 for me: Coming down the Custis between Oak and Nash, carefree because it had remained above freezing all night, I was somehow launched suddenly to my left down the grassy hill toward the Key Bridge Marriot building. Landed on my left side, so no damage other than to my tights, a bruised left butt cheek, and dirt on my pannier, etc.. Had to straighten out the handlebar and my right shoe's pedal cleat.

Boomer2U
01-12-2018, 12:18 AM
I was doing good for about 35 miles in fog and black ice in the dark. Just when the temps were rising above freezing, I neared a busy intersection with a long light. I was on the Prince William Parkway trail and made a quick (and foolish) decision to cut left off the trail onto the road to hit the light faster before it changed. The fall was witnessed by about 100 commuters. Needless to say I did not make the light as I dropped landing on left hip and wrist. I also scratched my sunglasses landing on my face.

1610416105Perhaps we should start a strawberry patch?

consularrider
01-12-2018, 09:26 AM
London Bridge #2. I was on my Pugsley and decided to attempt the muddy single track between the Eschersheimer Freibad and Bonames. Everything was very soft and when I got out to the field by NSG Riedwiese it was flooded, about 100 to 150 feet across. The single track is at the edge of the field by the right bank of the Nidda River and the bank is elevated about three feet from the level of the field. This was slightly firmer, but there was a grove of trees blocking that route and I had to go through about 15 feet of the flooded area. Fine, the water only looked about six inches deep, but unfortunately the grass/mud underneath was another four to six inches and then I hit the raspberry canes at the edge of the grove, the thorns snagged on my clothes and it caused just enough lost of momentum that I tipped over into the muddy slop. Only injuries were to my dignity, riding four miles home with one brown leg and one black leg.

DanaWise
01-12-2018, 09:35 AM
In solidarity with suffering mamils everywhere, I humbly report in with 3 falls on the 'hellacious' black ice of Silver Spring January 8 and an especially humiliating splatter in our K-street parking garage this morning. Who said K street is only posh?

jepstein
01-18-2018, 12:26 PM
1/17/2018 6:30am

Still in the dark and snowing, at about 7 miles in on a 10 mile morning commute, I took a nice wipeout on the sidewalk on Independence on the north side of the Tidal Basin on what is apparently called the Kutz Bridge. Limped it the rest of the way. And, gulp, lyfted home.

ian74
01-19-2018, 09:12 AM
1/17/2018 6:30am

Still in the dark and snowing, at about 7 miles in on a 10 mile morning commute, I took a nice wipeout on the sidewalk on Independence on the north side of the Tidal Basin on what is apparently called the Kutz Bridge. Limped it the rest of the way. And, gulp, lyfted home.

More like "Klutz" bridge amirite?

josh
02-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Made it up 41st St this morning, but a big sheet of ice on the W&OD by Virginia Lane took me out. Definitely taking the road on the way back.

JonRobot
02-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Put me down for one. Found the only patch of black ice on my commute. Scratched up my wedding ring, which cut my hand, and felt a couple ribs pop uncomfortably. The bike is fine though, other than a couple scratches on the shifter and pedal.

cvcalhoun
02-07-2018, 05:01 PM
I'm assuming the crash in which I was riding the escalator, not my bike, doesn't count--even though my bike ran into me and threw me headfirst down the escalator.

For those of you watching at home, this is why they say not to take your bike on the escalator.

streetsmarts
02-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Put me down for one. Found the only patch of black ice on my commute. Scratched up my wedding ring, which cut my hand, and felt a couple ribs pop uncomfortably. The bike is fine though, other than a couple scratches on the shifter and pedal.Bummer. Hope you heal up quick

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Judd
02-07-2018, 09:25 PM
I successfully bribed W&W tonight with sushi treats to win this prize without actually having to fall this year.

Steve O
02-07-2018, 10:54 PM
I successfully bribed W&W tonight with sushi treats to win this prize without actually having to fall this year.

Funny. She took a bribe from me, too.

streetsmarts
02-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Funny. She took a bribe from me, too.Good work W&W!

josh
02-09-2018, 08:53 AM
+1 for me, too many entries here for my taste. Don't think I've been keeping my chain tight enough, and endoed on Wilson as a result when it jumped off and locked up my rear wheel. RIP (literally) my pants and gloves.

Judd
02-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Funny. She took a bribe from me, too.

What did you bribe her with? Mine was free snuggles. I'm pretty sure my bribe is going to win.

Egoodman
03-08-2018, 12:20 PM
I only had one crash this 2018 Freezing Saddles season, but it was a significant one. On MLK's Birthday (Monday Jan. 15th) I was off to meet folks in my group (Sleet 16) to get some social miles in. It was around 25 deg. F outside and dry when I approached the intersection of Wilson Blvd. and N. Jefferson Street. There was water running in the gutter pan of Wilson Blvd., and some ice build-up after that (in the intersection). Buy the time a made the decision to slow down and avoid the ice build-up, my wheels started to come out from under me, and I hit the asphalt hard. It turned out that the approach to the intersection was glazed with black ice from turning cars. I was able to unclip from the bike, and sit up, but I could not stand, so I sat in an icy puddle until I could squooch to the curb for a seat. In the mean time, several people had stopped to lend a hand, and an ambulance was called. I got an ambulance ride to Virginia Hospital Center where it was determined that I had a quadriceps contusion. Biking became very limited because I could not bend my right knee past 90 deg. In the weeks that have followed, I have received a determination that I have a quadriceps tendon partial tear, so biking has been limited to shorter slower rides. Little by little, I am working my way back to a level that I can restart my daily commute to Capitol Hill.

streetsmarts
03-08-2018, 01:36 PM
I only had one crash this 2018 Freezing Saddles season, but it was a significant one. On MLK's Birthday (Monday Jan. 15th) I was off to meet folks in my group (Sleet 16) to get some social miles in. It was around 25 deg. F outside and dry when I approached the intersection of Wilson Blvd. and N. Jefferson Street. There was water running in the gutter pan of Wilson Blvd., and some ice build-up after that (in the intersection). Buy the time a made the decision to slow down and avoid the ice build-up, my wheels started to come out from under me, and I hit the asphalt hard. It turned out that the approach to the intersection was glazed with black ice from turning cars. I was able to unclip from the bike, and sit up, but I could not stand, so I sat in an icy puddle until I could squooch to the curb for a seat. In the mean time, several people had stopped to lend a hand, and an ambulance was called. I got an ambulance ride to Virginia Hospital Center where it was determined that I had a quadriceps contusion. Biking became very limited because I could not bend my right knee past 90 deg. In the weeks that have followed, I have received a determination that I have a quadriceps tendon partial tear, so biking has been limited to shorter slower rides. Little by little, I am working my way back to a level that I can restart my daily commute to Capitol Hill.Ouch. Hope you're healing up. I hate to hear about London bridges contestants!

wheels&wings
03-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Reviewing the several pages of 2018 entries, it is painfully clear that London Bridge came crashing down this Freezing Saddles season, due to vast quantities of black ice and other slick-and-treacherous conditions. Thus far the tally includes 17 riders. Crashes included hard wipe-outs, significant injuries, ripped clothes, smashed bikes, impressive slides, and humiliating splatters in front of hundreds of onlookers. My heart goes out to all who took-the-plunge in this 2018 season. Thank you for sharing. Below is the current tally…please feel free to add any incidents I’ve left out. Some riders had as many as four crashes, and I know that some of the single crashes were really bad too. Sending hugs and healing wishes. w&w

Supernova …. 1
Josh ….3
QuikAF77 …. 2
Boomer …. 2
DrP …. 1
CPTJohnC ….1
Bentbike33 … 2
Sjclaeys …. 1
Closebr ….2
Bob James …. 1
Consularrider …. 2
Dana Wise …. 4
Jepstein ….1
JonRobot ….1
Cvcalhoun ….1
Egoodman …. 1
William P. …. 1

And thank you, Judd and SteveO… your bribes are always very welcome :).

bentbike33
03-12-2018, 08:41 AM
Even though she did not post here, I think you need to add Reji's cement truck incident. After all, she did have to dive off of poor Pinky to save herself.

josh
03-14-2018, 08:43 PM
I really wanted to take the lead here, so I wiped out twice at Wednesday Night Spins today. First time was in that slick spot halfway through the first lap, but at least I was moving slowly, and by the time I was moving again I was lapped. Second time happened about 6 minutes from the end, and somehow I slid out on a wide turn and probably went 30 feet with my bike. Bars got knocked out of position and I figured it wasn't worth getting back in it, so DNF for me. I did come down on both sides, so at least the bruises won't be too concentrated :).

ltierstein
01-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately, I may be a contestant for the 2019 London Bridge Prize, but I need to get the rules clarified. Does going down count for the prize when your bicycle is hit by a car? It happened to me on Sunday afternoon, around 1:30, eastbound on the W&OD when crossing Lee Highway. A car turned right, right into me.

I posit that the car smacked right into the left side of my body, and I then fell to the ground, because the damage to said body was: a bruised rib (CAT scan required to rule out break and damage to the pancreas); scrapes on the left leg, around the knee (x-ray required to rule out a break); broken orbital bone on top of left eye (confirmed by X-ray and/or MRI, I forget which), with a minor (as these things go) brain bleed underneath, and a massive black eye. I don't have any pictures of the crash or the car, since I was unconscious at the time. I remember coming to as my neck was being strapped down, in the ambulance. I was taken to Fairfax Inova, not the closest hospital, but the one with a specialized Trauma ICU (TICU) room. I DO have a picture of my face, with the black eye and stitches, if documentation is needed.

I was in the hospital for 24 hours -- they needed to keep me overnight to ensure that my brain and eye were alright. The Arlington police officer who was at the scene stopped my room twice. The first time was a few hours after the crash, to ask me about it -- I didn't remember anything; the driver was given a citation. The second time was to deliver my house keys!! which I had told her during the first visit were in a pannier that was on the bicycle. I think I'll send her a thank you note.

A friend came by to drive me home from the hospital and to pick up my bicycle at Arlington Fire House #6, right off the W&OD. Furthering my hypothesis that my injuries were caused by the car directly hitting me, and not by me bouncing off the pavement, was the fact that the bicycle seems to have almost no damage -- the struts of the front fenders are detached from the fork attachment thingee, that's all I can see. To be brought to the bike shop for a better check as soon as I'm able to ride again -- so much for riding every day of Freezing Saddles.

streetsmarts
01-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Unfortunately, I may be a contestant for the 2019 London Bridge Prize, but I need to get the rules clarified. Does going down count for the prize when your bicycle is hit by a car? It happened to me on Sunday afternoon, around 1:30, eastbound on the W&OD when crossing Lee Highway. A car turned right, right into me.

I posit that the car smacked right into the left side of my body, and I then fell to the ground, because the damage to said body was: a bruised rib (CAT scan required to rule out break and damage to the pancreas); scrapes on the left leg, around the knee (x-ray required to rule out a break); broken orbital bone on top of left eye (confirmed by X-ray and/or MRI, I forget which), with a minor (as these things go) brain bleed underneath, and a massive black eye. I don't have any pictures of the crash or the car, since I was unconscious at the time. I remember coming to as my neck was being strapped down, in the ambulance. I was taken to Fairfax Inova, not the closest hospital, but the one with a specialized Trauma ICU (TICU) room. I DO have a picture of my face, with the black eye and stitches, if documentation is needed.

I was in the hospital for 24 hours -- they needed to keep me overnight to ensure that my brain and eye were alright. The Arlington police officer who was at the scene stopped my room twice. The first time was a few hours after the crash, to ask me about it -- I didn't remember anything; the driver was given a citation. The second time was to deliver my house keys!! which I had told her during the first visit were in a pannier that was on the bicycle. I think I'll send her a thank you note.

A friend came by to drive me home from the hospital and to pick up my bicycle at Arlington Fire House #6, right off the W&OD. Furthering my hypothesis that my injuries were caused by the car directly hitting me, and not by me bouncing off the pavement, was the fact that the bicycle seems to have almost no damage -- the struts of the front fenders are detached from the fork attachment thingee, that's all I can see. To be brought to the bike shop for a better check as soon as I'm able to ride again -- so much for riding every day of Freezing Saddles.I'm so sorry but glad you are mostly ok. Hope the driver or insurance compensates you. And hope your recovery is complete and you're up riding when you feel able.

Really glad your injuries aren't any worse!

awitt
01-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Liking your post is not quite right. I’m sorry this happened to you and am very glad that you are alive and mobile. I hope your head injury doesn’t cause any lasting probles.

komorebi
01-08-2019, 06:09 PM
That sounds terrifying, ltierstein, especially the brain injury. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope you're able to take it easy and recover fully. Sending healing thoughts.

wheels&wings
01-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Oh hell, so sorry to hear this. That is a terrible intersection. I was heading east on the WOD at Lee just yesterday when a driver cut me off racing ‘round that same right turn. The proposed bridge can’t happen soon enough. https://wtop.com/arlington/2018/10/vdot-unveils-final-designs-for-wod-trail-bridge-over-lee-highway/slide/1/

Get well quick. Guess you'll need to take it easy for a while given the head injury—you poor dear! Sending hugs. w&w

ginacico
01-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Noooo! That sucks Leslie, so sorry. Be well and please let us know how we can help while you're recovering.

Sunyata
01-09-2019, 06:43 AM

A friend came by to drive me home from the hospital and to pick up my bicycle at Arlington Fire House #6, right off the W&OD. Furthering my hypothesis that my injuries were caused by the car directly hitting me, and not by me bouncing off the pavement, was the fact that the bicycle seems to have almost no damage -- the struts of the front fenders are detached from the fork attachment thingee, that's all I can see. To be brought to the bike shop for a better check as soon as I'm able to ride again -- so much for riding every day of Freezing Saddles.

Oh man! I am so SO sorry this happened to you. I wish I had known your bike was at Station 6. I would have grabbed it and dropped it off at Bikenetic to have them check it over for you.

Orbital fractures are not comfortable, so I hope you are doing as well as can be under the circumstances. Please PLEASE let me know if you need anything at all.

chuxtr
01-09-2019, 07:10 AM
Leslie - Hope you are doing OK and will recover quickly. We're all thinking about you and pulling for you. Do you know if the driver stuck around? Did the police cite him/her? My friend HF was riding home from our group ride on Sunday and emailed me that he saw the aftermath of a bicycle/car accident at the intersection. I'm guessing that was you.

Steve O
01-09-2019, 08:49 AM
This is awful news, Leslie. Heal well and be good to yourself. Please let us know if you need anything.

I'm thinking your injuries were caused when you bounced off the car's hood with your left side and your head (writing this makes me cringe). Any damage to the helmet that would confirm that? Or whiplash in your neck?

I suspect the citation was for Failure to Yield. I wish it was for Assault With a Deadly Weapon. Until we raise the expectation that drivers need to treat people riding bicycles (and people walking) as vulnerable human beings and their vehicles as 2-thousand+ pound missiles, this will continue.

epilsk
01-09-2019, 11:11 AM
Oh No! This is NOT the kind of report I like reading. I hope you heal up soon and without complications. Here's to a speedy recovery

lordofthemark
01-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Leslie, I feel so sorry this happened to you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Hope you recover soon and feel better.

accordioneur
01-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Leslie, I'm horrified, saddened and enraged that this happened. Feel better soon - !רפואה שלמה

ltierstein
01-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Leslie - Hope you are doing OK and will recover quickly. We're all thinking about you and pulling for you. Do you know if the driver stuck around? Did the police cite him/her? My friend HF was riding home from our group ride on Sunday and emailed me that he saw the aftermath of a bicycle/car accident at the intersection. I'm guessing that was you.

Yes, the driver stuck around and was given a police citation. Evidently, someone called 911 just about immediately. Don't know if it was the driver or a bystander, since I was unconscious at the time.

ltierstein
01-09-2019, 06:01 PM
I just checked the citation, a copy of which was handed to me a few hours later in the hospital by the police officer who wrote it. It doesn't say what the citation is, just that the driver was "at fault". The police officer explained that the driver could either pay a fine or contest the citation in court. At the time, I was too out-of-it to pursue and ask for details, but I do have the officer's contact information. And the citation number.

The helmet doesn't have any cracks in it, but there is an indentation on the left front, where my head evidently made contact with something, and the adjustable frame of the helmet was pressed into the styrofoam. The part of my forehead that sits just below that part of the helmet is where I have the gash that required the stitches. There is blood all over the inside of the helmet, and some smeared on the outside -- it must have come out of the vents before someone got the helmet off. It was not fun trying to wash the dried blood out of my hair and eyebrow.

No whiplash, just overall soreness on the left side of my body, and what must be a bruised rib at the bottom of the rib cage. I was thinking that the car just slammed into me. I have no idea what object could have caused the cut on my forehead -- it's straight, not jagged. The edge of a sideview mirror? Anybody know the physics of car vs bike incidents?

I'm going to try to make it to the Freezing Saddles Happy Hour tomorrow night; unfortunately, not by bicycle, but by public transportation+walking or Uber/taxi.

Sorry for the gory details.

This is awful news, Leslie. Heal well and be good to yourself. Please let us know if you need anything.

I'm thinking your injuries were caused when you bounced off the car's hood with your left side and your head (writing this makes me cringe). Any damage to the helmet that would confirm that? Or whiplash in your neck?

I suspect the citation was for Failure to Yield. I wish it was for Assault With a Deadly Weapon. Until we raise the expectation that drivers need to treat people riding bicycles (and people walking) as vulnerable human beings and their vehicles as 2-thousand+ pound missiles, this will continue.

Steve O
01-09-2019, 11:18 PM
I just checked the citation, a copy of which was handed to me a few hours later in the hospital by the police officer who wrote it. It doesn't say what the citation is, just that the driver was "at fault". The police officer explained that the driver could either pay a fine or contest the citation in court. At the time, I was too out-of-it to pursue and ask for details, but I do have the officer's contact information. And the citation number.

The helmet doesn't have any cracks in it, but there is an indentation on the left front, where my head evidently made contact with something, and the adjustable frame of the helmet was pressed into the styrofoam. The part of my forehead that sits just below that part of the helmet is where I have the gash that required the stitches. There is blood all over the inside of the helmet, and some smeared on the outside -- it must have come out of the vents before someone got the helmet off. It was not fun trying to wash the dried blood out of my hair and eyebrow.

No whiplash, just overall soreness on the left side of my body, and what must be a bruised rib at the bottom of the rib cage. I was thinking that the car just slammed into me. I have no idea what object could have caused the cut on my forehead -- it's straight, not jagged. The edge of a sideview mirror? Anybody know the physics of car vs bike incidents?

I'm going to try to make it to the Freezing Saddles Happy Hour tomorrow night; unfortunately, not by bicycle, but by public transportation+walking or Uber/taxi.

Sorry for the gory details.

Sticking with my original theory. The front of the car struck you from the left as it was turning into you. The bike was knocked free and you were thrown onto the hood with your head making contact with the point of impact where the helmet is smashed. The helmet caused the gash. Your ribs hit at the front of the hood at about the same time. Then depending on how fast the driver stopped you were either tossed off or slid down off the car.

ImaCynic
01-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Hi Leslie,
I am so glad that you are okay and this wasn't more serious than from I what witnessed. I was heading west to Falls Church from Chuxtr's ride on Sunday with another when we came up onto the crash scene. Waiting at the light, I first noticed a crowd of people and several cyclists, a black truck/SUV in the middle of the road with no driver, a police SUV with flashing lights, and to my horror, a cyclist laying motionless on the road. There were no signs of paramedic at the scene, but I can hear the approaching sirens. It appears that someone had placed a jacket covering the cyclist (you), but I can see that you were wearing a dark colored helmet.

Seeing that authorities are already present and paramedic appears to be on their way, I did not want to be a gawker and decided to continue. As I rode closer, I did not notice any obvious damage to the front nor left side of the vehicle involved. However, I did noticed what appeared to be a thread of red yarn near your head that looked odd. But as I processed what I saw, I soon realized it was actually a small stream of blood running down the road. Recognizing this and based on the fact that no one was administering first-aid, I was thinking the worst. I mentioned what I witnessed to several fellow cyclists in Strava, and even scanned local news outlets for updates but did not find any.

I believe right turning vehicles pose the greatest danger to pedestrian/cyclists at this intersection. Law states that motorist must stop before making a right on red, I even believe there is a no right on red when pedestrians are present at this intersection, but is rarely observed. Given where the trail enters the intersection, I think it gives inadequate sight-line and a false impression to right turning motorists that they are free and clear. I have personally witnessed and experienced several close calls with drivers try to beat the light. This should be a No Right on Red intersection.

Wishing you to a speedy recovery!

JoM
01-11-2019, 02:36 PM
ltierstein, Just catching up on the forums, it was nice to meet you at the FS HH last night. Glad that you were well enough to come out. Take care of you first, don't worry about FS!
But please let Team 4 know when you are ready to go, maybe a few of us can join you.
Healing thoughts for you.
Jo

Steve O
01-11-2019, 04:59 PM
This should be a No Right on Red intersection.

I suspect she was hit while both she and the driver had the green. She was eastbound.

bikingjenn
01-13-2019, 08:12 AM
I had my first 2019 London Bridges entry this morning in the snow. Went down when trying to turn on a hill where there was some piled up plow remains. Little bit swollen and abraded left elbow and pump sheared off of the down tube. No worse for the wear, but learned a valuable lesson about snow riding on slick tires.

wheels&wings
01-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Just a reminder to keep posting any falls or crashes on this thread. You can share as many or as few details as you like. I don’t want you to go down, but if it happens you may as well win a prize for it! Be safe, everyone. w&w

wheels&wings
01-20-2019, 06:31 PM
I'm hoping the lack of additional entries on this London Bridge thread means that everybody has stayed upright!

komorebi
01-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Alas, I have one to report from this past Friday, on the W&OD.

My bootlace came undone and wrapped itself around my pedal, which I didn't notice until my pedal stopped rotating. I tried pedaling backwards to unwind the bootlace, but I didn't have enough momentum and went ker-PLOP! straight into a snowbank alongside the trail. No damage to bike or body, thankfully. But my boot was pretty firmly attached to my bike at that point. The only way I could get enough leverage to lift the bike off myself and get back on my feet was to pull my foot out of my boot. Since I was already in a snowbank, that meant putting my socked foot straight into the snow -- and doing the rest of my ride with one wet sock. Thank goodness for wool socks.

LhasaCM
01-20-2019, 07:39 PM
I'm hoping the lack of additional entries on this London Bridge thread means that everybody has stayed upright!

At least relatively speaking - I almost went down yesterday on the zig-zag ramp from 4MR on my way back to Target to get shovel #2. I went off the pavement in the first turn and the front wheel got caught and sent me tumbling sideways. but the railing kept me from falling all the way down. (It was one of those super slow motion types of falls like when someone forgets they're clipped in and come to a complete stop.)

Steve O
01-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Alas, I have one to report from this past Friday, on the W&OD.

My bootlace came undone and wrapped itself around my pedal, which I didn't notice until my pedal stopped rotating. I tried pedaling backwards to unwind the bootlace, but I didn't have enough momentum and went ker-PLOP! straight into a snowbank alongside the trail. No damage to bike or body, thankfully. But my boot was pretty firmly attached to my bike at that point. The only way I could get enough leverage to lift the bike off myself and get back on my feet was to pull my foot out of my boot. Since I was already in a snowbank, that meant putting my socked foot straight into the snow -- and doing the rest of my ride with one wet sock. Thank goodness for wool socks.

I anxiously await the video of this.

Sunyata
01-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Oh man. In the five BAFS that I have been involved in, this is the first time I have actually fallen due to winter weather.

A group of us went on a gravel ride out of The Plains on Saturday. The first climb on gravel was Bull Mountain, which faces north and was a pretty nasty mess of snow, slush, and ice. Everyone was being pretty careful coming down the mountain, and one guy had stopped to warn of a big hole on a particularly slushy section. While I was paying attention to him, I hit a really deep slushy spot and both wheels slipped out from under me and down I went. Luckily, it was a pretty soft landing and no damage to anything other than my ego.

Valuable lessons learned on that ride though:
1) gravel tires suck in snow and slush
2) falling into snow and slush is better than falling on gravel
3) whisky helps that bruised ego recover very quickly

Dachs6
01-23-2019, 04:02 PM
I have two to report.

Sunday morning (20/1), jet lagged, I joined a local CX race (non-UCI sanctioned) and went ahead and fell over while descending a short steep drop at low speed. Mostly fine, other than the cacophony of laughter from the Germans and some pointers on how to ride a bicycle.

Today (23/1), I just went ahead and dumped it over on a frozen gravel trail. Oddly, no torn clothing, and a tiny bruise on the outside of my right calf muscle...and torn bar tape (need to rewrap the bar anyhow)....I missed the big rocks and giant frozen mounds of mud from the logging trucks.

Not sure if they count, though, not due to ice or snow.

rcannon100
01-23-2019, 04:47 PM
I have two to report.

Sunday morning (20/1), jet lagged, I joined a local CX race (non-UCI sanctioned) and went ahead and fell over while descending a short steep drop at low speed. Mostly fine, other than the cacophony of laughter from the Germans and some pointers on how to ride a bicycle.

Today (23/1), I just went ahead and dumped it over on a frozen gravel trail. Oddly, no torn clothing, and a tiny bruise on the outside of my right calf muscle...and torn bar tape (need to rewrap the bar anyhow)....I missed the big rocks and giant frozen mounds of mud from the logging trucks.

Not sure if they count, though, not due to ice or snow.

Pictures or it didnt happen!

SamDenes
01-25-2019, 03:35 PM
I fell down thrice on my commute this morning. Hit a patch of ice on cracked asphalt on Sligo Creek Trail. The crack was enough to cause a bit of a wobble which eventually brought me down. I ended up on a clear patch of pavement, my bike was a few feet in front of me on the next patch of ice. After sitting for a few seconds to curse myself and snap a few pictures, I stood up, walked over to my bike (which was on ice), bent over to pick it up, and - you guessed it - fell ever so gracelessly. Aside from a bruised psyche these falls did not cause much damage. I was able to scoot over to the grassy edge of the trail, stand up, and get my bike upright. I walked down to the next clear section of trail and got back on the bike. Continuing along for less than a quarter mile, I encountered some more ice, this time with hesitation. The lack of confidence led to the worst fall leading to a sprained ankle, torn shirt and glove, and some scrapes, and worst of all, a smushed banana inside my backpack. Now to convince my wife that continuing to ride is a smart idea.
Pictures are from the first fall - notice the ice under the bike that leads to the second fall. Upside down phone = upside down pictures

drevil
01-26-2019, 05:59 AM
The lack of confidence led to the worst fall leading to a sprained ankle, torn shirt and glove, and some scrapes, and worst of all, a smushed banana inside my backpack. Now to convince my wife that continuing to ride is a smart idea.

Solved:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190126/24a450915c8a79669ec1aaba762f4d2f.png

Also, as a member of another team, I highly agree with your wife. It's way too dangerous to ride now and you should stay inside and play Xbox until the summer. :)

Dachs6
01-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Pictures or it didnt happen!

Pictures? No time, it was a rapid remount and ride off, llest I let the myths be shattered. Or something like that...

Bob James
01-26-2019, 01:44 PM
On Jan 13th, riding in Woodbridge VA after the snow storm I fell 3 times on different roads. There were minor falls where I was going pretty slow and fell over into the snow on the road. Today (Jan 26th), riding in Michigan, on Michigan Day, I had my 2nd worse fall ever. It was after 30 miles of riding tensely and nervously on mostly untreated icy gravel, that I fell hard. I could feel it happening as the back tire slid out, so I tried to soften the blow by putting my arms out. Unfortunately, my hands only slipped on the ice and I still came down hard on my chest, knee and hip. My handlebar bike mirror was shattered and my chain came totally off. Other than the mirror, no permanent damage, I hope. Tomorrow I'll know if my chest and wrists feel worse.

streetsmarts
01-26-2019, 06:42 PM
On Jan 13th, riding in Woodbridge VA after the snow storm I fell 3 times on different roads. There were minor falls where I was going pretty slow and fell over into the snow on the road. Today (Jan 26th), riding in Michigan, on Michigan Day, I had my 2nd worse fall ever. It was after 30 miles of riding tensely and nervously on mostly untreated icy gravel, that I fell hard. I could feel it happening as the back tire slid out, so I tried to soften the blow by putting my arms out. Unfortunately, my hands only slipped on the ice and I still came down hard on my chest, knee and hip. My handlebar bike mirror was shattered and my chain came totally off. Other than the mirror, no permanent damage, I hope. Tomorrow I'll know if my chest and wrists feel worse.

1914719148191491915019151Ouch. Hope you're not hurting too badly Bob!

Boomer2U
01-26-2019, 08:27 PM

1914719148191491915019151Ouch!!! Sending healing vibes from afar

drevil
01-26-2019, 10:40 PM

Bummer, Bob. Hope this doesn't keep you off the bike.

If you plan to ride those kind of icy conditions more/regularly, possibly invest in fat bike studded tires? Yes, they're really expensive, but they'll give you a lot more confidence. Besides, what's $300-$470 anyway, the cost of your deductible if you got really hurt? ;) You can order them at REI and get your dividend: https://www.rei.com/search?q=studded+tire

I don't have studded fat bike tires myself, but I did get some Kold Kutter screws if the mood hit me to stud my own older fat bike tires. It's cheaper, but I've read (since I've yet to do it) that they may possible rip out of the tire and leave a gaping hole not easily fixable with plugs. This will get you started: https://www.mtbr.com/search.html?q=kold+kutter&x=0&y=0 (Click on the "Forum" results to see more threads.)

A third alternative is Grip Studs, but they're pretty expensive ($1/stud, and you'll need hundreds for both tires, depending on how grippy you want to get). I'd probably just get the pre-made ones myself.

The alternative to studded tires is to armor up with knee, elbow, and even hip pads... but I'd totes do the studded tires instead :)

consularrider
01-27-2019, 03:13 AM

If you plan to ride those kind of icy conditions more/regularly, possibly invest in fat bike studded tires? Yes, they're really expensive, but they'll give you a lot more confidence. Besides, what's $300-$470 anyway, the cost of your deductible if you got really hurt? ;) You can order them at REI and get your dividend: https://www.rei.com/search?q=studded+tire

I don't have studded fat bike tires myself, but I did get some Kold Kutter screws if the mood hit me to stud my own older fat bike tires. It's cheaper, but I've read (since I've yet to do it) that they may possible rip out of the tire and leave a gaping hole not easily fixable with plugs. This will get you started: https://www.mtbr.com/search.html?q=kold+kutter&x=0&y=0 (Click on the "Forum" results to see more threads.)

A third alternative is Grip Studs, but they're pretty expensive ($1/stud, and you'll need hundreds for both tires, depending on how grippy you want to get). I'd probably just get the pre-made ones myself.

The alternative to studded tires is to armor up with knee, elbow, and even hip pads... but I'd totes do the studded tires instead :)

Just go with the 49 Nrth studded Dillingers. Mine are on the Pugsley until March. Check with KWL who runs the same setup in VA.

drevil
01-27-2019, 04:53 AM
Just go with the 49 N
rth studded Dillingers. Mine are on the Pugsley until March. Check with KWL who runs the same setup in VA.

Do you have the 60 or 120 tpi? Also, do you have issues with studs falling out much?

I might as well just bite the bullet and get some, but I was thinking of the chunkier Wrathchilds.

consularrider
01-27-2019, 08:02 AM
Do you have the 60 or 120 tpi? Also, do you have issues with studs falling out much?

I might as well just bite the bullet and get some, but I was thinking of the chunkier Wrathchilds.

Actually I have 30 tpi (no longer offered) and haven't lost any studs in the three winters I have had them.

Bob James
01-27-2019, 04:59 PM
If you plan to ride those kind of icy conditions more/regularly, possibly invest in fat bike studded tires?

Thanks Ricky. My wrists feel the worst, but I rode today and mostly stayed on the roads to avoid bumps. I ordered the Cake Eaters studded tires 26 x 4'8" ($200 ea). I did like the wrathchild's with the
longer and sidewall studs, but I generally only buy from Amazon. I think the cake eaters being lighter (120tpi), shorter studs and less aggressive treads will be a good balance for me between lower rolling resistance
and ice gripping. I generally ride on pavement when I can and would generally avoid any all ice dirt roads. So I primarily only need the studs when I can't avoid short segments of ice.

Bob James
01-28-2019, 09:09 PM
Fall #5, (but 3 falls for log, since 3 were on same ride in VA snow with only 1 face plant in snow) today after 8-10 inches of snow. I installed new studded cake eater 26 x4.6" tires on my fatboy. They worked well on plowed streets with underlying ice, but when I went to check on my mother-in-law her street had not been plowed. I tried to follow a car track, but I was not coordinated enough to keep inside the track. The advantage of the cake eaters is they are light and fast, so I was going more than 10mph when I went outside the car track and the bike slid out from under me. Fortunately, I fell into the soft snow and did not do any more damage to myself or bike. Even my handlebar mirror didn't break.

Birru
01-28-2019, 09:11 PM
If you’re going to fall, fall in the deep, fluffy stuff. I heard it’s like lying in a pile of kittens.

drevil
01-28-2019, 09:57 PM
Fall #5 (3 VA, 2 MI) today after 8-10 inches of snow. I installed new studded cake eater 26 x4.6" tires on my fatboy. They worked well on plowed streets with underlying ice, but when I went to check on my mother-in-law her street had not been plowed.
I tried to follow a car track, but I was not coordinated enough to keep inside the track. The advantage of the cake eaters is they are light and fast, so I was going more than 10mph when I went outside the car track and the bike slid out from under me.
Fortunately, I fell into the soft snow and did not do any more damage to myself or bike. Even my handlebar mirror didn't break.

I love fat biking in the snow (preferably in the woods), and right now I'm super jelly of your conditions. How do you like it?

That said, you may have discovered that there's a limit to how high and/or powdery the snow can be before it becomes extremely difficult to ride. You face those conditions yet?

Steve O
01-28-2019, 10:38 PM
If you’re going to fall, fall in the deep, fluffy stuff. I heard it’s like lying in a pile of kittens.

That sounds awful.

Bob James
01-28-2019, 11:26 PM
I love fat biking in the snow (preferably in the woods), and right now I'm super jelly of your conditions. How do you like it?
That said, you may have discovered that there's a limit to how high and/or powdery the snow can be before it becomes extremely difficult to ride. You face those conditions yet?

Yes, I think I reach limit today with 8" powdery snow. I could have managed better if I was as coordinated as you and able to ride in car tracks. I'm not confident sliding around, go slow and quickly put my
feet down at the hint of a fall.

Dachs6
01-30-2019, 12:59 PM
Had a fall on Tuesday. Stupid rookie move. All was fine on the paved path through the woods. Then I decided to stop and get a picture of the moon. Instead I just laid down and took a break on the pavement. No pictures. I’m not proud of these things. Since January 3, 2015 when I decided to dislocate my right shoulder and break my humerus, I hadn’t had so much as a close call- let’s chalk it up to making bike handling skills and utilizing a healthy caution for doing dumb stuff...now I’ve had 3 since January 1 this year. I guess I need to just ride more...

Bob James
02-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Fall #4, forgot this one, but it was in DC on Jan 12th. On the MVT during my Nostalgic ride to DC and Hains Point. After the Arlington Memorial Bridge there was a random long stretch of ice on the trail. Luckily I saw it in time, but foolishly I thought I could ride around it on the grass. But the grass was rutted and partially frozen. My tires got into on of the narrow ruts and down I went, going only about 8 mph. Only 1 person saw me I think. A runner who went around the ice patch on other side of trail. I didn't take picture of fall, but this picture after the fall, shows my front tire covered in mud from getting off the trail. Other than my pride, the only other damage was a sore elbow and some mud stains on my jacket sleeve and shoulder.

JoM
02-01-2019, 09:56 AM
I love fat biking in the snow (preferably in the woods)...

So, drevil’s fat bike didn’t do its job today, because he left it at home!

We went to the Proteus Breakfast meet-up at The Board and Brew. For some reason, drevil decided to take the borrowed road bike even though it was already snowing when we left the house. He was careful and even walked the wooden humpback bridge. He almost got to the turn, but he hit a patch of ice and down he went! Flat on the ground. Of course, I asked if he was ok — and if he wanted a picture.

Luckily he just skinned his knee. Be safe out there!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/01f3f5a8f2392b5338c55d2855f7af64.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/1efd0071d11e627510789e1877a534f6.jpg

Steve O
02-01-2019, 11:38 AM

We went to the Proteus Breakfast meet-up at The Board and Brew. For some reason, drevil decided to take the borrowed road bike even though it was already snowing when we left the house. He was careful and even walked the wooden humpback bridge. He almost got to the turn, but he hit a patch of ice and down he went! Flat on the ground. Of course, I asked if he was ok — and if he wanted a picture.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/01f3f5a8f2392b5338c55d2855f7af64.jpg

That looks staged to me.

drevil
02-01-2019, 12:27 PM
That looks staged to me.

Mmmkay, Steve O.

After I crashed, the conversation went like this:

Me: ugggggghhhh...
Jo: ARE YOU OK?!?!?!
Me: ...ugh...yeah, I think so...
Jo: you want me to take a pic for London Bridge?
Me: ha. Sure...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/0411c9081f64fb79b9c5f9ec51eb87ba.jpg

Pants:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/c0f0b0e2fdf530d828b7c8119d684847.jpg

Knee:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/5915a2081ae2edd33ccba5e457e3db07.jpg

Cheapo pogie/bar mitt:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/9accb623386d2a0247a9c9dfbfed8362.jpg

Steve O
02-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Mmmkay, Steve O.

No. I totally believed you fell; I hardly think you would make that part up. To me it just looked like you restaged it for the photo. I stand humbly corrected.

drevil
02-01-2019, 12:41 PM
No. I totally believed you fell; I hardly think you would make that part up. To me it just looked like you restaged it for the photo. I stand humbly corrected.

Ha, I just laid there for a minute catching my breath while Jo giggled and took the pic :D

KWL
02-01-2019, 01:56 PM
The one note should read "Left hand reaching out and hitting ground. Broken clavicle miraculously avoided." I think you should win the London Bridge prize just based on style and documentation.

consularrider
02-02-2019, 05:34 AM
The one note should read "Left hand reaching out and hitting ground. Broken clavicle miraculously avoided." I think you should win the London Bridge prize just based on style and documentation.

And here I thought he went off to the right just to break through the ice puddles. :(

chuxtr
02-02-2019, 09:00 AM
That looks staged to me.

And how do we really know it's Ricky? :)

chuxtr
02-02-2019, 09:01 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190201/01f3f5a8f2392b5338c55d2855f7af64.jpg

Superman on ice! :)

drevil
02-03-2019, 10:56 AM

Mr. Happy took a fall at A&J on the dumpling ride... But it looks staged... :D
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/e804fd7d8de90a56141911ae3b4f88c6.jpg

Judd
02-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Mr. Happy took a fall at A&J on the dumpling ride... But it looks staged... :D
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190203/e804fd7d8de90a56141911ae3b4f88c6.jpg

How can we be sure that’s even Mr. Happy?

mrhappy_onabike
02-03-2019, 08:26 PM
How can we be sure that’s even Mr. Happy?

It's my stunt double.

Bob James
02-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Fall #5, Feb 8, 2019. Another wonderful Michigan winter day. The snow had melted just a bit the day before with temps in high 30's, than overnight back into low teens with 25mph winds, gusts up to 40F with more snow. I was just
starting out on a paved trail that had a covering of snow, but underneath was solid ice. Even my studded fatty was no match for this ice and down I went. Luckily not to much damage other than a sore hip.

wheels&wings
02-08-2019, 07:06 PM
oh no! Not another. :( I think this is your #6, or maybe more... In a prior post you counted your first three falls as just one; you said they were on the same ride and you had only one face plant. But multi-crash rides give you multiple points (and amount to really sucky rides), and I certainly do not require face plants... in fact I would actively discourage them.
I must say, your Freezing Saddles in Michigan is way way way more icy and treacherous than anything we softies experience here in Virginia.
Heal fast! Sending hugs. w&w

Bob James
02-08-2019, 09:31 PM
oh no! Not another. :( I think this is your #6, or maybe more... In a prior post you counted your first three falls as just one; you said they were on the same ride and you had only one face plant. But multi-crash rides give you multiple points (and amount to really sucky rides), and I certainly do not require face plants... in fact I would actively discourage them.
I must say, your Freezing Saddles in Michigan is way way way more icy and treacherous than anything we softies experience here in Virginia.
Heal fast! Sending hugs. w&w

Thanks w&w, but don't tempt me with those hugs, or I'll be looking for more ice to fall on. :) Okay, we'll call it 6 falls, but 2 were in Virginia
after the snow storm you all had to also ride in. The difference in ice on the trails here is, it's thick, solid for miles and last for days, if not weeks. The
dirt roads stay covered with ice and the paved roads almost always have snow on them making them unsafe to ride with cars. Oh well, what I did expect
moving to Michigan.

drevil
02-08-2019, 10:55 PM
Thanks w&w, but don't tempt me with those hugs, or I'll be looking for more ice to fall on. :) Okay, we'll call it 6 falls, but 2 were in Virginia
after the snow storm you all had to also ride in. The difference in ice on the trails here is, it's thick, solid for miles and last for days, if not weeks. The
dirt roads stay covered with ice and the paved roads almost always have snow on them making them unsafe to ride with cars. Oh well, what I did expect
moving to Michigan.

...blah blah blah...

Maybe it's time to revisit this last suggestion? OK everyone, laugh laugh laugh at what I bought at Marshall's a few weeks ago for $12 (normally $120):

They're Nike Combat Pro padded football compression tights with padding/armor on the hips, thighs, tailbone, and knees. I thought they were ridiculous when I first saw them, but the old gears started clunking in my head that if if the opportunity ever came up to go really fast on ice on a bike, these armor tights are cheaper than a new hip. I haven't used them yet, but it really sounds like Bob needs to go search for a pair at his local Marshall's :D

Bob James
02-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Maybe it's time to revisit this last suggestion? OK everyone, laugh laugh laugh at what I bought at Marshall's a few weeks ago for $12 (normally $120):
....t really sounds like Bob needs to go search for a pair at his local Marshall's :D

What a great idea and they look hi-viz reflective too. Thanks for suggestion. I add a cup too and protect against unintended vasectomy that w&w mentioned in one of her titles. A risk trying to do one
of your stunts, or hitting top post trying to keep from falling on ice.

Bob James
02-13-2019, 08:54 PM
Another fall and not even time to order the armor padded pants drevil recommended. Today's ride was after 6 inches of new snow on already solid iced unpaved roads with 35 mph gusts (18 sustained). Over the farmlands the wind
blows the new snow over roads (which are sometimes plowed). The fatty does pretty good on the ice, but when the roads already white you can't tell when a snow drift has formed across the road and fatty tires
can't handle well both snow and ice at speed. So down I went, but at least I fell backward and did not re-injure my wrists.

Mtansill
02-17-2019, 08:11 PM
Sadly, I have now broken my streak of no accidents/crashes in my fifth year of freezing saddles:

January 10th: Morning of the happy hour. Going around the corner on the quay at the Navy Yard. Overcompensated to avoid a jogger and the front tire got stuck in one of the tire-eating sidewalk cracks. Into the wrought iron bar fence I go. Sad. Bike is still perfectly rideable. Helmet scuffed but still perfectly integral. About 4 different bruises on the legs and one on the right shoulder.

February 13th: Crossing Bladensburg Bridge on a sunny chilly morning after two days of sucky rain. I hadn't noticed yet that all of the wooden bridges had black ice on them. Bladensburg was my unlucky break because the bridge curves at the top. Bam! Down I went on the drive-side. Rear derailleur hanger was obviously bent. I made four of the miles on the unhappy bike back home before the chain gave up staying in gear. Walked two more miles home. Iced the knee all day and ended up with nothing much more than a sore neck. Laurie from Proteus actually picks up my bike, gets it fixed, and returns it the same day. Wow!

February 14th: Bridges are no longer icy the next morning. I get all of the way to the Anacostia Park. I don't realize that vehicles driving through the huge, omnipresent puddle at the north end of the park have splashed water up beyond the puddle borders, and that it has frozen nicely before I take my turn. Bam! This time on the left side, so I can get to work just fine. Neck gets a little more sore. Nice deep bruise on the left calf. Happily the ride home is gorgeous.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

wheels&wings
02-17-2019, 09:20 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch -- just reading these is painful. Heal fast. Sending hugs!!! w&w

Boomer2U
02-18-2019, 03:57 AM
Knee:

Nice Brompton! Is that the 3 or 6 speed version?

dkel
02-18-2019, 07:13 AM
Ouch, ouch, ouch -- just reading these is painful. Heal fast. Sending hugs!!! w&w

At first glance I thought this said “sending drugs.”

KWL
02-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Knee:
That left shin shows evidence of multiple pedal strikes. NTTAWWT

awitt
02-18-2019, 04:53 PM
I’m at Fairfax hospital with a self inflicted injury. While biking home with groceries i picked up a leaf in my front wheel. I’ll just brush the outside of the spokes and dislodge the leaf.... Next thing i know my right hand is caught in the spokes and jammed against the fork and i am flying over the handlebars and landing on my face. Still waiting for the results of the xray. I also habe a screaming back ache. Some day I’ll learn to leave well enough alone.

fxbooks
02-18-2019, 05:15 PM
Ugh! I'm so sorry, and I hope the news is good.

ChristoB50
02-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Oh no! I hope nothing broke!

awitt
02-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Nothing broken, lots of hand bruising and a puncture wound where my hand hit the bolt for the v break. Pretty bad back muscle strain. Some minor cuts and bruises on my face. I think that face shield i made protected my face. My new wind jacket is now a vest. Could be worse.

streetsmarts
02-18-2019, 07:14 PM
Nothing broken, lots of hand bruising and a puncture wound where my hand hit the bolt for the v break. Pretty bad back muscle strain. Some minor cuts and bruises on my face. I think that face shield i made protected my face. My new wind jacket is now a vest. Could be worse.Oh so sorry to hear this! Glad it's not any worse. Hope you heal quickly and well. Take it easy!

Sunyata
02-19-2019, 06:44 AM
Nothing broken, lots of hand bruising and a puncture wound where my hand hit the bolt for the v break. Pretty bad back muscle strain. Some minor cuts and bruises on my face. I think that face shield i made protected my face. My new wind jacket is now a vest. Could be worse.

Glad to hear nothing is broken, but that hand bruising could take a while to heal, especially if there is anything torn in there. :(

Definitely glad it was not worse, but OUCH. Rest well and heal up.

Hancockbs
02-19-2019, 01:07 PM
January 10th: Morning of the happy hour. Going around the corner on the quay at the Navy Yard. Overcompensated to avoid a jogger and the front tire got stuck in one of the tire-eating sidewalk cracks. Into the wrought iron bar fence I go. Sad. Bike is still perfectly rideable. Helmet scuffed but still perfectly integral. About 4 different bruises on the legs and one on the right shoulder.

I came very close to this late last year, but must have been heading the other direction, because I almost ended up in the river. Somehow managed to recover just before going over the edge. Those cracks are terrible!

Judd
02-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Geez. Hand looks awful. Hope that it heals quickly. I’m thinking about all the times I’ve pulled something out of a spinning wheel.

Mtansill
02-20-2019, 10:43 AM
I came very close to this late last year, but must have been heading the other direction, because I almost ended up in the river. Somehow managed to recover just before going over the edge. Those cracks are terrible!

They are terrible! And I wasn't even riding the bike with skinny tires. I did feel very lucky that I ended up heading toward the fence instead of toward the drink. Glad you avoided going in the drink, too! :p

awitt
02-20-2019, 08:24 PM
Geez. Hand looks awful. Hope that it heals quickly. I’m thinking about all the times I’ve pulled something out of a spinning wheel.

I know, I really didn’t think it would be a big deal, until it was and my forehead was hitting the pavement.

wheels&wings
02-20-2019, 09:58 PM
Oh crud, you poor dear, this sounds absolutely miserable. And I’m cringing at that picture of your hand. Ouch. I am so sorry! Sending hugs. w&w

consularrider
02-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Fall #5, Feb 8, 2019. Another wonderful Michigan winter day. The snow had melted just a bit the day before with temps in high 30's, than overnight back into low teens with 25mph winds, gusts up to 40F with more snow. I was just
starting out on a paved trail that had a covering of snow, but underneath was solid ice. Even my studded fatty was no match for this ice and down I went. Luckily not to much damage other than a sore hip.

I found the perfect bike for you today at Main Velo in Harheim, the Ice Full Fat Tricycle (https://www.icetrikes.co/products/full-fat).

Bob James
02-22-2019, 11:58 PM
I know, I really didn’t think it would be a big deal, until it was and my forehead was hitting the pavement.

Hope your recovery is going well.

Bob James
02-23-2019, 12:00 AM
I found the perfect bike for you today at Main Velo in Harheim, the Ice Full Fat Tricycle (https://www.icetrikes.co/products/full-fat).

Ha, I like it. Three wheels would defintely be more stable on ice than two. Looks super comfy too.

Judd
02-23-2019, 12:27 AM
The bad news is that I had a crash three weeks ago and sprained my knee. The good news is that I’ve been able to walk without a cane this week.

I thankfully was still able to at least sleaze while I was on the cane.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190223/ca2528ef610e62df54e7e7f46bfdc003.jpg

accordioneur
02-23-2019, 05:57 AM

A couple of weeks ago I had a set of BMX tires (I couldn't studded tires in a 20" size) in an online shopping cart with the idea of transforming my wife's trike into a snow machine but didn't wind up pulling the trigger on the purchase because I knew she wouldn't appreciate me getting her pristine ride all slushy.

Bob James
02-23-2019, 11:02 PM
The bad news is that I had a crash three weeks ago and sprained my knee. The good news is that I’ve been able to walk without a cane this week.
I thankfully was still able to at least sleaze while I was on the cane.

Judd, sorry to hear about your crash and sprained knee. Godspeed on your continued recovery. Bob

AlanA
02-24-2019, 08:07 PM

$10,000!!! I don't need to pay that type of money to ride in horrible conditions. I can stay in my house for free!!