PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel not spinning well

Amalitza
01-24-2016, 10:50 AM
I have two wheelsets for my do-everything bike. I switched them yesterday, and for some reason the rear wheel is not spinning very well. An easy spin only goes about half a revolution before stopping, and even a hard spin not more than a couple revs. It was not like this last time I had the wheel on (in December). It is a nearly new wheel; I can't have more than about 200 miles on it. Any thoughts on what the problem might be and if it's something easily fixed (without specialized tools)? Probably not getting to bike shop today... :)

It's not brake rub. It doesn't seem to be a specific spot in the revolution that's hanging up-- it spins smoothly and evenly throughout a revolution, just with a lot more resistance than it should have.

DismalScientist
01-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Are your cones too tight? Do the hubs have grease?

Amalitza
01-24-2016, 11:36 AM
How would the cones get too tight, and how would I know if they were? I've never disassembled or attempted any kind of maintenance on wheel hubs. These wheels have been stored inside since the last time they were used. They haven't been used much, but they are the wheels i used for cross and for off-pavement riding, which means they have gotten muddy and been hosed off a few times. Can the grease get washed out of them just by a couple washings? I have other wheels I've used multiple thousands of miles including plenty of riding in rain and never had a problem before.

peterw_diy
01-24-2016, 12:11 PM
I'd pull the wheel and check how freely the cassette spins. Is the bike kept in a heated space?

Amalitza
01-24-2016, 12:54 PM
I'd pull the wheel and check how freely the cassette spins.

The same way the wheel spins on the bike: smoothly, but with a lot more resistance than it should have.

Is the bike kept in a heated space?

Unheated spare room in a heated house; so probably around 50F at the coldest. Not in freezing temps.

Steve O
01-24-2016, 05:43 PM
The same way the wheel spins on the bike: smoothly, but with a lot more resistance than it should have.

More diagnosis: Does the axle spin freely? That is, is the wheel resisting against the cassette or against the bearings/cones?
You can check this by mounting on the bike and pedaling. If the wheel turns freely while pedaling and then stops quickly when you let it "coast" then it's not binding against the cones or bearings but against the cassette. If that's the case, then you can pretend you have a fixie and just pedal all the time.:)

In either case, it seems this is something you will need to show to someone who knows what they are doing. Agreed that this is not a problem you should have on relatively new wheels.