PDA

View Full Version : Suppressing Forum Topics

Rootchopper
01-11-2016, 03:17 PM
For those of us who do not participate in Freezing Saddles the "New Posts" selection on the menu is useless. Is there some way to suppress all the Freezing Saddles posts? No offense to the Frezzing Saddles crowd. Thx

dkel
01-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Weird. I am participating, and was thinking the same thing! Sooo many teams!

rcannon100
01-11-2016, 04:51 PM
Help! Help! I'm being Suppressed!!!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GS_1bzaj2fw/hqdefault.jpg

lordofthemark
01-11-2016, 04:53 PM
This is probably peak freezing saddles though, the FS posts should fall off a bit once all the team members are signed in.

jabberwocky
01-14-2016, 12:16 PM
I kinda feel like Freezing Saddles needs its own website or something. This forum is bordering on unusable with all the threads. Its drowning out normal discussion and I find myself not even trying to pick through to find the non-FS topics anymore.

PotomacCyclist
01-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Only one of the top 8 new forum posts is BAFS-related right now, not counting this thread.

S. Arlington Observer
01-14-2016, 12:52 PM
As the teams get fully signed on to team Strava sites I suspect members will post team specific stuff under the "Discussion" part of the Strava team site instead of on the Freezing Saddles page. The issue really should resolve on its own very soon. The forum postings were necessary before everyone was signed up with a team as a tool to find and organize the team members.

jabberwocky
01-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Only one of the top 8 new forum posts is BAFS-related right now, not counting this thread.

I tend to check in once or twice a day. Currently, of the 29 threads that have updated in the past 24 hours, 50 percent or so are FS threads. Some days its been even worse (75% plus). Its great and all, no offense to the FS crowd, but its cluttering the shit out of the forum for those of us who aren't involved. If there was some way to just check "I'm not doing that event" somewhere and hide those threads I would be quite happy.

hozn
01-14-2016, 12:55 PM

That may have been briefly true, but not when I looked.

Jabberwocky has a point. I think there's a question on whether there is an intent for FS to drive forum participation. If not, then I think we could probably find other infrastructure for communications in the future, but I think there is a strong desire to have this competition be something that is simply a part of the bikearlington/washingtonareabike forums website. Which kinda leaves us in a situation where the forum will be abuzz with FS threads for at least a few weeks out of the year. (It quiets down a bit.) I suspect that if the FS folks have to use another website for comms, the forum would be a bit of a ghost town for those same weeks.

PotomacCyclist
01-14-2016, 12:56 PM
I also think the overall benefits of increasing cycling and DC-region cyclist community building can outweigh the temporary inconvenience of the new forum list being less useful. I say this as someone who is not participating in BAFS. (I don't use the new forum post list that much anyway. It's easy for me to scan the main forum index and see which sub-forums are highlighted in bold type.)

mstone
01-14-2016, 12:56 PM
I tend to check in once or twice a day. Currently, of the 29 threads that have updated in the past 24 hours, 50 percent or so are FS threads. Some days its been even worse (75% plus). Its great and all, no offense to the FS crowd, but its cluttering the shit out of the forum for those of us who aren't involved. If there was some way to just check "I'm not doing that event" somewhere and hide those threads I would be quite happy.

I've got 17 unread threads, 7 of which are not FS related.

mstone
01-14-2016, 12:57 PM
(I don't use the new forum post list that much anyway. It's easy for me to scan the main forum index and see which sub-forums are highlighted in bold type.)

Once you've started, you'll never look back! Digging through the forum list is a time waster.

jabberwocky
01-14-2016, 01:05 PM
(I don't use the new forum post list that much anyway. It's easy for me to scan the main forum index and see which sub-forums are highlighted in bold type.)

I find the BA forum mostly unusable without the "new posts" button (in fact, my bookmark for the site goes straight to it rather than the forum index). Way too many subforums for the level of traffic this site gets. But thats another discussion. :)

lordofthemark
01-14-2016, 01:14 PM
I find the BA forum mostly unusable without the "new posts" button (in fact, my bookmark for the site goes straight to it rather than the forum index). Way too many subforums for the level of traffic this site gets. But thats another discussion. :)

OMG! We totally need a thread about that.

Tim Kelley
01-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Yeah, what's the fix?

rcannon100
01-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Yeah, what's the fix?

Whine and complain a whole bunch about a free service????

dkel
01-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Yeah, what's the fix?

Join Freezing Saddles, duh. :rolleyes:

jabberwocky
01-14-2016, 01:30 PM
Yeah, what's the fix?

De-index the FS subforum from the new posts list? Roll the entire thing off into its own event page (it seems like its getting big enough)? Evaluate whether 30 individual threads are truly necessary?

Whine and complain a whole bunch about a free service????

...or be a dickhead? :rolleyes:

mstone
01-14-2016, 01:31 PM
Yeah, what's the fix?

As suggested up top, the ability to ignore anything happening in a subforum. If there's a way to make that happen with the current software, great. If not, oh well.

Tim Kelley
01-14-2016, 01:33 PM
De-index the FS subforum from the new posts list?

Is that possible with this software?

jrenaut
01-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Yeah, what's the fix?

vBulletin has a forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum) where you can provide feedback - if you make your case over there, maybe they'll add it, although this site is version 4.x and they're on 5.x now. There's also a community forum where people write plugins (https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=245). Maybe someone has already created the functionality you want. Or you could learn PHP (if you don't already know it) and create your own plugin (http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/creating_a_product).

Tim Kelley
01-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Sounds like pretty advanced stuff for a lowly bike advocate...

jrenaut
01-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Sounds like pretty advanced stuff for a lowly bike advocate...

My suggestions weren't necessarily pointed at you.

Tim Kelley
01-14-2016, 02:03 PM
If someone wants to take a crack at looking into a fix, I'd welcome the assistance!

vern
01-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Currently, 8 of the 9 new forum posts are about suppressing forum topics! So you see, any hot topic will create this phenomenon. I say fuhgeddaboudit and let the moment pass.

rcannon100
01-14-2016, 02:26 PM
I say fuhgeddaboudit and let the moment pass.

There, its Fixed.

bobco85
01-14-2016, 02:51 PM
My two cents - I wonder if the following could be done:

New forum setting would be added (accessible from Settings -> My Settings -> General Settings page)
A checklist of all the subforums (Freezing Saddles, Arlington PAL Ambassador Program, Commuters, Events, etc.) would appear
Users could check or uncheck which subforums show up in the Activity Stream (the "What's New?" page) and save the selections to their profile
The Activity Stream would then be customized for each profile to show only what subforums they want
Peace and prosperity spread through the land

Steve O
01-14-2016, 03:47 PM
For me at least, I find the organization of The Chain Link (http://www.thechainlink.org/) in Chicago to be better than ours. I particularly like the upcoming rides and events section. They have 10 events upcoming just between now and the end of January. That's a function this forum could serve well, but the calendar function here is not really functional. And no one ever looks at it, because it's almost hidden.
The number of users and discussions in Chicago is actually a lot larger than this forum. For instance, they already have 14 replies to the Missouri flag post while we have 2. Their "What's this doing in the Bike Lane 2016" thread, started on January 4 has 42 replies and 2718 views in 9 days. However, despite the much larger traffic volume, I feel like I can evaluate what I want to read much more easily on their site.

I don't know how to translate what I see there into improvements here. But if there are ways to incorporate some of what they do there that seems to work onto this forum, that would be good. Someone must have compiled a list of best practices for on-line forums that would provide ideas for improving this one.

Amalitza
01-14-2016, 03:54 PM
I say fuhgeddaboudit and let the moment pass.

But the moment might not pass. There are twice as many people participating in FS this year as last year, so even if we start with assuming that last year's "plateau" level of FS posting was not too disruptive (and I don't even know if that is true?), that doesn't mean this year's won't be. We are legitimately overrunning the forum w/ freezing saddles posts at the moment, and it is not at all obvious (to me at least) if or when (prior to late March anyway) that will stop. Trying to figure out a solution seems like a good idea.

mstone
01-14-2016, 04:07 PM
The number of users and discussions in Chicago is actually a lot larger than this forum. For instance, they already have 14 replies to the Missouri flag post while we have 2.

Well, until reading this it was suppressed by my mental freezing saddles filter due to its unfortunate choice of subject line.

DismalScientist
01-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Regarding all the Freezing Saddles posts, I believe that the youth of America have the appropriate suggestion:

"GET A ROOM"

cvcalhoun
01-14-2016, 05:19 PM
vBulletin has a forum (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum) where you can provide feedback - if you make your case over there, maybe they'll add it, although this site is version 4.x and they're on 5.x now. There's also a community forum where people write plugins (https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=245). Maybe someone has already created the functionality you want. Or you could learn PHP (if you don't already know it) and create your own plugin (http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/creating_a_product).

Unfortunately, both forums require that you be a licensed vBulletin user to post. So Tim may be able to use them, but the rest of us can't, even if we know or are willing to learn PHP.

jrenaut
01-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately, both forums require that you be a licensed vBulletin user to post. So Tim may be able to use them, but the rest of us can't, even if we know or are willing to learn PHP.
That's not an insurmountable problem if someone is willing to do the work.

rcannon100
01-14-2016, 07:20 PM
We are legitimately overrunning the forum w/ freezing saddles posts at the moment,

If you put all the people who live under dark clouds on your IGNORE LIST - that will cut down your visible forum traffic by half! Problem solved and yore mood will improve by 117% guaranteed.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/05/1415199305873_Image_galleryImage_hear_no_jpg.JPG

peterw_diy
01-14-2016, 07:38 PM
One viable technical option: make private subforums and only make them accessible to registered, logged in users who have requested and been granted access. vBulletin will hide activity from anonymous lurkers and users who don't have access.

That said, I think it's best for teams to huddle on Strava and only use this site to taunt their competition.

Vicegrip
01-14-2016, 08:24 PM
1. Click "new posts"

2. Run eye down list.

3. Click on interesting thread.

4. Repeat until boring con call is over.

Steve O
01-14-2016, 09:15 PM
But the moment might not pass. There are twice as many people participating in FS this year as last year, so even if we start with assuming that last year's "plateau" level of FS posting was not too disruptive (and I don't even know if that is true?), that doesn't mean this year's won't be. We are legitimately overrunning the forum w/ freezing saddles posts at the moment, and it is not at all obvious (to me at least) if or when (prior to late March anyway) that will stop. Trying to figure out a solution seems like a good idea.

Agreed. I think there is a need to think longer term about this forum. What if participation in forum discussion doubles or triples or more just in general--not just in January? It is our goal, after all, to expand bicycling, and getting more people to discuss issues related to that is good good good.
If there were 15-20 topics a day of interest to a community of thousands of cyclists in the DC area, how would an on-line resource work to satisfy that need? That is the question that needs addressing.
I don't know the answer to that question, but there is already a group of techies who meet regularly on "hack nights," hosted by the Mobility Lab. Perhaps they could take on this question.

dkel
01-14-2016, 09:33 PM
What if participation in forum discussion doubles or triples or more just in general--not just in January?

Have you met us? This is a self-limiting bunch by character. :p

rcannon100
01-14-2016, 09:44 PM
One viable technical option: make private subforums and only make them accessible to registered, logged in users who have requested and been granted access. vBulletin will hide activity from anonymous lurkers and users who don't have access.

That said, I think it's best for teams to huddle on Strava and only use this site to taunt their competition.

No no. This thread is for taunting the non FS participants who are annoyed by all the people having fun.

jabberwocky
01-14-2016, 10:28 PM
No no. This thread is for taunting the non FS participants who are annoyed by all the people having fun.

Right, because a big artificial strava competition is the only way to have fun on a bike. Obviously.

cvcalhoun
01-15-2016, 02:45 AM

A whole lot of people never read Strava discussions. Getting to them requires two clicks off of your main Strava field (one to the club, the second to the discussion tab). And there is no indication on your main feed when there is a new discussion in a Strava club. So Strava clubs may not be the best option for discussions.

That being said, my team in each of the past two years has had its own Facebook group. The only problem with that is that one of our members isn't on Facebook, and one hasn't joined our Facebook group. However, the first one also gave us the wrong forum name, and has not responded to e-mailed inquiries as to the right one. The second one is not riding and is not communicating in any other medium (forum, Strava, e-mail), so moving to the forum wouldn't really help. And the Facebook group is quite active.

Raymo853
01-15-2016, 05:49 AM
For those of us who do not participate in Freezing Saddles the "New Posts" selection on the menu is useless. Is there some way to suppress all the Freezing Saddles posts? No offense to the Frezzing Saddles crowd. Thx

The real fix is to start non-BAFS threads that are interesting, fun, thought provoking, and/or gather a lot of attention.

<sarcasm>Maybe I could start one: I'll post a thread about how even after I move away, I plan to flag segments in DC.</sarcasm>

mstone
01-15-2016, 05:58 AM
The real fix is to start non-BAFS threads that are interesting, fun, thought provoking, and/or gather a lot of attention.

That doesn't actually fix anything. To be clear, since there seems to be some confusion: for many people, the best way to keep up with activity on the forum is to use the "new posts" feature. That lists all of the threads which have been updated since the last visit. Recently (as in previous years) that function has become difficult to use because there are so many FS threads that it's difficult to pick more generally interesting threads out of the list. Even if there is an extremely interesting, fun, thought provoking, and popular thread, it's easy to miss if it's #11 in a list of 15 threads, 13 of which you're skipping over. No, this isn't the end of the world, but it's also not some kind of horrible atrocity to ask whether there is a technical solution which would make things better.

jabberwocky
01-15-2016, 08:35 AM
That doesn't actually fix anything. To be clear, since there seems to be some confusion: for many people, the best way to keep up with activity on the forum is to use the "new posts" feature. That lists all of the threads which have been updated since the last visit. Recently (as in previous years) that function has become difficult to use because there are so many FS threads that it's difficult to pick more generally interesting threads out of the list. Even if there is an extremely interesting, fun, thought provoking, and popular thread, it's easy to miss if it's #11 in a list of 15 threads, 13 of which you're skipping over. No, this isn't the end of the world, but it's also not some kind of horrible atrocity to ask whether there is a technical solution which would make things better.

This. Honestly, I'm just pointing out the way FS is being handled on the forum at the moment is degrading the experience for those who don't care about it (since there are like two dozen threads). Is it a huge deal? No, but it probably does mean that people who spend a limited time browsing the forums (like me) are overlooking threads, and asking if there is something on the tech side we can do to clean it up a bit seems perfectly reasonable.

The response in this thread from some of the FS people makes me really glad I'm not participating though.

jrenaut
01-15-2016, 09:22 AM
To be clear, I was responding not with my FS hat on but with my software developer hat on. I apologize that I was a bit snippy, but the point I meant to make is that it's not as simple as clicking a button on an admin screen and hiding the FS posts. Someone would have to go find or write a vBulletin plugin and help the administrators install and configure it. It's a non-trivial amount of work, and it's in PHP. I'm not sure if my seething disdain for PHP came through, but please know that it's there.

Let me explain PHP to the non-developers. Imagine you are a carpenter, and you have to use PHP. A close analogy would be if, every third nail, your hammer suddenly but temporarily turned into a banana. Every 15th nail, another nail you thought you were finished with spontaneously caught fire.

I'm no fan of vBulletin. Like other forum software, the only innovation we've seen in the space in the last 10 years is "Hey, let's implement this feature from Facebook". It is well past time for someone to reinvent the forum. But compared to other solutions out there, it's not a bad one, and Bike Arlington does a really good job maintaining this space for us, which I really appreciate.

Anyone want to go for a bike ride?

dkel
01-15-2016, 09:37 AM
I've been a little snarky on this thread, but I was also serious when I said that I find the current situation a little irritating, even as someone participating in BAFS. But realistically, all it means is I have to look a little more closely or scroll a little farther down than in the "off season." A forum interface that could filter such things would be great, but until then, I have bigger problems than this in my life! I'm grateful the topic was brought up, but it doesn't seem like something to get worked up over.

It also occurs to me that even if the BAFS threads were filtered out, it's possible there are enough people focused on it that there would be very little else going on, and the remaining threads would be far less active anyway.

chris_s
01-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Five pages of discussion on "people having fun is making me scroll more"?

Emm
01-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Agreed with the overall desire to filter some of the BAFS stuff out, although I understand it may not be possible for tech reasons. I think stating the desire is important though, because perhaps in future years it may lead to a solution even if one isn't apparent now.

My main concern is some people like me use this forum as a check for safety, construction, and other issues related to biking that we may not be aware of otherwise. There is no other solid, timely repository of issues pertaining to biking in the whole DC region that I'm aware of. Thanks to this forum I've known about flooding, downed trees, ice sheets on trails, dangerous potholes, and other really helpful information I wouldn't have otherwise known in advance. My biking is limited now due to an injured hip so it's less of an issue personally at the moment, but I have noticed I've missed a few relevant threads about infrastructure or other topics-of-interest that I would have wanted to know about because the BAFS threads have drowned them out.

dkel
01-15-2016, 11:40 AM
My main concern is some people like me use this forum as a check for safety, construction, and other issues related to biking that we may not be aware of otherwise. There is no other solid, timely repository of issues pertaining to biking in the whole DC region that I'm aware of. Thanks to this forum I've known about flooding, downed trees, ice sheets on trails, dangerous potholes, and other really helpful information I wouldn't have otherwise known in advance. My biking is limited now due to an injured hip so it's less of an issue personally at the moment, but I have noticed I've missed a few relevant threads about infrastructure or other topics-of-interest that I would have wanted to know about because the BAFS threads have drowned them out.

For the most important threads, you can create a subscription; then you can go into your profile and see threads you have subscribed to—without the noise. This wouldn't do to show you the whole forum minus a few threads, but it would work to show you a few threads minus the rest of the forum.

Vicegrip
01-15-2016, 11:50 AM
There might be another side to the "Too much traffic" coin. I would venture a guess that this forum is visited most often by a somewhat small number of people that already have some vested interest in the machinations of commuting and cycling in the wash DC area. Freezing Saddles causes not just an increased number of threads the regulars need to scroll past but also an increase in new people scrolling down the non freezing saddles threads.

The increase in activity on the forum just might be increasing the diffusion of the information and interest that looks to me to be the original intent of the forum. No disrespect intended to those bothered by the more active posts page intended.

jabberwocky
01-15-2016, 11:55 AM
Five pages of discussion on "people having fun is making me scroll more"?

Right, that's exactly what people are saying. :rolleyes:

rcannon100
01-15-2016, 12:01 PM
My main concern is some people like me use this forum as a check for safety, construction, and other issues related to biking that we may not be aware of otherwise.

Through the forum you can subscribe to threads. You can have notifications of those threads sent to you. (I've never done it - dont know how well it works). Its easier to identify the treads you DO care about, and follow them (aka Whitelist) - than it is to play whack a mole, suppressing threads every time we come up with our next bright shiney object (aka Blacklist).

The forum trail condition thread is broad brush by month, instead of by trail. We debated it and decided we liked it by trail (we can debate it again). Consider the concept of a WOD/Arlington Segment thread, that can be subscribed to, that you get notifications from any time there is a post. hmmmmmm

Alternatively, you can use other social media to track conditions. There is for instance a FB Group for the CCT. https://www.facebook.com/groups/capitalcrescenttrail/ And of course you can use all the FB tools for notifications.

Another option is to use twitter. #bikedc is an active hashtag. You can configure an application like tweetdeck to follow a particular hashtag and provide you notifications.

lordofthemark
01-15-2016, 12:16 PM
So what people are saying is that with so much traffic, we either need a way to segregate it better, or we need as individuals to find ways to navigate it better. That's what I am hearing.

ShawnoftheDread
01-15-2016, 01:05 PM
The forum trail condition thread is broad brush by month, instead of by trail. We debated it and decided we liked it by trail (we can debate it again).

Is that the royal we? I don't recall that "we" decided that at all.

rcannon100
01-15-2016, 01:26 PM
Is that the royal we? I don't recall that "we" decided that at all.

Oh god know. By "we" I mean Cyndi. I believe I nobly suggested that the thread be transitioned to trail specific from month specific - and I was told in no uncertain terms that the mob preferred month specific. I conceded to the mob.

Steve O
01-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Let me explain PHP to the non-developers. Imagine you are a carpenter, and you have to use PHP. A close analogy would be if, every third nail, your hammer suddenly but temporarily turned into a banana. Every 15th nail, another nail you thought you were finished with spontaneously caught fire.

Or this:

Steve O
01-15-2016, 02:46 PM
I'm much more of a big-picture type. So for me I ask not "can we tweak this slightly to make it better for me?" but things like:

What is the purpose of the forum?
Who are the people we are trying to reach?
What is the best way to reach them?
How can we enhance the experience of all users, regardless of technical expertise?
Is the forum serving their needs?
How can we best expand the reach of the forum to serve more people? And keep them involved?
Can we use this forum to take over the world?

Stuff like that.

Then use the answers to those big questions to redesign/re-create it in a fabulous new way.

Personally, I believe as long as this forum exists on this platform, the best we can hope for are tiny, incremental improvements that make it better for some users while making it worse for others.

All that said, do not take these remarks as lack of gratitude for its existence nor for the resources and work put into it by BikeArlington. I do appreciate it. And there may not be the resources or capability to take on the larger challenges dictated by answering the above questions. I get that. However, I hope that at some point in the future this forum format will be replaced by something new, easier, more powerful, more accessible, and world conquering.

rcannon100
01-15-2016, 03:08 PM
However, I hope that at some point in the future this forum format will be replaced by something new, easier, more powerful, more accessible, and world conquering.

Sooooooooo...... Facebook???

jabberwocky
01-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Bikearlington is fine, as a site. The only change I would make is that 20 subforums is far too many (if I were forum god, I'd reduce that to 5 or so). That would make the "new posts" less functionally necessary to keep track of whats happening. But aside from that its clean and simple and does the job. Forums don't need to be flashy, they just need to work and make finding info and participating as easy as possible.

The FS thing has been getting worse year by year though. The vast majority of the problem is that each team for whatever reason needs their own thread. As the contest has grown, so has the number of threads. In early years it was much less a problem because it was almost entirely contained in a few threads (rather than the current 30 or whatever). Last year was bordering on problematic and this year is getting silly. As much as people want to make it sound like "hurr durr I don't like scrolling", website interface is rather important. Almost all the recent activity being FS social stuff would be very off putting if I came here as a new person looking for commuting or advocacy info and discussion.

chris_s
01-15-2016, 03:30 PM
However, I hope that at some point in the future this forum format will be replaced by something new, easier, more powerful, more accessible, and world conquering.

I'm fond of http://www.discourse.org/

vvill
01-15-2016, 06:27 PM
Bikearlington is fine, as a site. The only change I would make is that 20 subforums is far too many (if I were forum god, I'd reduce that to 5 or so). That would make the "new posts" less functionally necessary to keep track of whats happening. But aside from that its clean and simple and does the job. Forums don't need to be flashy, they just need to work and make finding info and participating as easy as possible.

I tend to agree that there's an excessive number of subforums. I end up just looking in the ones that I have an interest in. General Discussion, Bikes & Equipment, and sometimes Commuters and Trail Conditions I guess, and at this time of year, FS. I don't use the New Posts thing so I guess it doesn't bother me.

As for threads per team, I'm a bit surprised there's as few threads as there are so far. One per team seems a bare minimum to organize 20 groups of 13 potential strangers. It could surely be organized better, through emails or whatever but it's a friendly competition that all started from regulars here, so I can't really see it moving off the forum.

vBulletin is definitely getting older and clunkier, but it's proven pretty useful over time. Shame that there's no default option to implement something like this.

dkel
01-15-2016, 07:22 PM
The solution is obvious: move all the discussion to freezingsaddles.com. Hozn, get on that.

cvcalhoun
01-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Is this the hack you are looking for?

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=272375

Since I don't have a license for vBulletin, I can't test it out, but it looks like it does what you're looking for.

Boo Boo
01-16-2016, 05:11 PM
View from somebody who doesn't post much:

Even with the superfluous subforums, this site is really not hard to navigate. I'm not participating in FS and I say bring on the extra posts/traffic. I can live with a couple of extra mouseclicks to see what's new where I have interest if it means more people participating in the forum. There's no way that's can be a bad thing, longterm, for cycling in the DC area. It's really not painful, at least for me, to have to scroll a tiny bit and click on the Commuter or Road & Trail Condition subforums and take a quick glance to see if there's something new than it is to see those new posts in the sidebar.

If it actually is painful for you, a few seconds of your time is either way more valuable than mine or you're that much more impatient than me (something my girlfriend would say isn't really possible). Either way, I hope you can take a breath or two and try to realize that the inconvenience isn't really all that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. If it is, you probably have bigger things to worry about than a message board.

cvcalhoun
01-17-2016, 12:08 AM

Even with the superfluous subforums, this site is really not hard to navigate. I'm not participating in FS and I say bring on the extra posts/traffic. I can live with a couple of extra mouseclicks to see what's new where I have interest if it means more people participating in the forum. There's no way that's can be a bad thing, longterm, for cycling in the DC area. It's really not painful, at least for me, to have to scroll a tiny bit and click on the Commuter or Road & Trail Condition subforums and take a quick glance to see if there's something new than it is to see those new posts in the sidebar.

If it actually is painful for you, a few seconds of your time is either way more valuable than mine or you're that much more impatient than me (something my girlfriend would say isn't really possible). Either way, I hope you can take a breath or two and try to realize that the inconvenience isn't really all that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. If it is, you probably have bigger things to worry about than a message board.

I've posted a link above to a vBulletin add-on that may work for this. And our team is actually chatting on a Facebook group rather than here.

That being said, I will say that Freezing Saddles was my introduction to this board. I originally joined the forum only because it was a requirement for participating in Freezing Saddles, but then found it useful both for information and for meeting other cyclists. So any benefit of moving the discussions to Strava, freezingsaddles.com, or other locations to declutter this board would have to be balanced against the fact that not having the discussions here could eliminate one of the advantages of Freezing Saddles: drawing people into this forum in the first place.

mstone
01-18-2016, 12:10 PM

Try using the new posts feature for a while instead of clicking through all the forums and you'll have an idea of why people prefer that, and also why its utility is impacted by a bunch of threads which are targeted to only a few people. If you haven't used that particular feature, then you're not really in a position to criticize other people's suggestions for how to improve it, are you?

And again, why do people keep dragging up the strawman that a suggestion for improvement is some kind of unwarranted attack on the forum, which much be immediately countered? Why is there a need for ad hominem attacks insinuating that a person making a suggestion is an impatient person with nothing else to worry about than a mild inconvenience? Why does it bother you that someone else asked a question or made a suggestion? Do you have nothing better to do than criticize other people on the internet? (See how easy those ad hominems are!) Seriously, if you aren't interested in the feature in question, just ignore this whole thread. It's supposed to be easy to ignore things, right? No need to read it and get angry about nothing.

dkel
01-18-2016, 12:13 PM
No need to read it and get angry about nothing.

I don't know, man. Seems to happen a lot when you're around. Just sayin'.

Vicegrip
01-18-2016, 05:27 PM
I think we should all just treat freezing saddles like PBS pledge week. Not participating and dealing with the threads is a bit annoying but it seems that all in all FS is also good for the forum. Couple of ways to work through the hardship of FS. Join in the silly games or scroll.

consularrider
01-19-2016, 02:10 AM
Any way I can suppress this thread?

Drewdane
01-19-2016, 12:36 PM

Hear, Hear!

Drewdane
01-19-2016, 12:44 PM
To be clear, I was responding not with my FS hat on but with my software developer hat on. I apologize that I was a bit snippy, but the point I meant to make is that it's not as simple as clicking a button on an admin screen and hiding the FS posts.
IANASD, but I think it might be that simple. Several years ago, Mountain Bike Review.com, which uses vBulletin, dropped posts in the politics forum from showing up in the "new posts" page; I seem to recall from my brief experience as a moderator/admin on a different forum that it is just an Admin setting.

Tim Kelley
01-19-2016, 12:47 PM
IANASD, but I think it might be that simple. Several years ago, Mountain Bike Review.com, which uses vBulletin, dropped posts in the politics forum from showing up in the "new posts" page; I seem to recall from my brief experience as a moderator/admin on a different forum that it is just an Admin setting.

We're getting closer! Do you know where that admin setting is? I've poked around and haven't found anything.

cvcalhoun
01-20-2016, 03:12 AM
We're getting closer! Do you know where that admin setting is? I've poked around and haven't found anything.

Wouldn't it be better to allow users to select the topics they don't want to see, rather than dropping posts in particular forums from showing up in anyone's "new posts"? For example, I might want to see posts in Freezing Saddles, but be totally uninterested in the ones from various (all Virginia-based) advisory committees. There does seem to be a hack that would allow individual users to suppress particular topics from their own "new posts"; see my previous post, below.

Is this the hack you are looking for?

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=272375

Since I don't have a license for vBulletin, I can't test it out, but it looks like it does what you're looking for.

Drewdane
01-20-2016, 10:08 AM

Sorry, I don't - it was several years ago, and I never was much more than a monkey with a keyboard when it comes to that stuff.