PDA

View Full Version : Teams (Strava clubs) update, naming conventions

hozn
01-08-2016, 09:43 PM
The freezingsaddles.com website is updated with the names I could track down. Where are the slackers (not literally, the "slackers" already have a team) for Team 6 and 15? Maybe I missed a thread.

If you haven't joined a team yet, then you'll have been dropped from the FS website. To fix the problem join your Strava club. It may take an hour before you reappear.

I posted on a few of the threads, but I think a more general note is in order. I'd like to propose a basic set of guidelines for team naming, but obviously open to improvements.
- Start with "Team N" where N is the number of your team. Putting this first is important because in some cases the charts/visualizations may clip team names, so it would be helpful to put the most salient info first.
- Next probably whatever crazy name y'all decide by darts or arm wrestling.
- Finally, probably some indication that this is for freezing saddles and the year. Historically this has been of the form BAFS2016, though I'd propose FS2016 to be a bit shorter -- and less Arlington-specific? In any event, remember that there's a Team N every year (at least where N <= 10), so indicating which year can be helpful if you'd like to keep the team around for years to come.
- If you want to put emoji or kanji characters in your name, go for it, but beware that they may not render correctly everywhere. (Be advised that use of right-to-left languages will almost certainly render incorrectly in charts.)

So putting it together would yield something like "Team 21 - Drinking Age! FS2016".

Anyway, good luck out there!2

jopamora
01-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Team 6 is here --> https://www.strava.com/clubs/175418

hozn
01-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Yeah, not sure how I had missed that (probably looking for thread with "team 6" in it), but fixed.

srt112
01-08-2016, 11:12 PM
what about wheel team 20? https://www.strava.com/clubs/175398

hozn
01-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Fixed now. I thought the 20 teams included slackers. Mickey wins for first to create the team Strava club!

Tim Kelley
01-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Historically this has been of the form BAFS2016, though I'd propose BAFS16 to be a bit shorter. If folks object to the "BikeArlington" reference, perhaps we should choose a new hashcode But that's probably a separate discussion. BikeArlington has traditionally provided lots of support (at least prizes) for this competition, so it may not be out of place to keep the "BA".

I saw that you went back and edited the above part, but BikeArlington is still planning on providing prizes and a fun "Pleasing Saddles" side bet, if that matters?

hozn
01-11-2016, 11:02 AM
It does! Yeah, I edited it as I think I was wrong about the historical conventions. But mainly, I didn't want to start a debate on whether "Arlington" should be part of the name :-)

I know we all appreciate the involvement of BikeArlington in this competition. Even those of us not playing!

Tim Kelley
01-11-2016, 11:21 AM
When motivation starts to flag we can tell folks about prizes!