PDA

View Full Version : Demotivation: The Slackers

PeteD
01-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Some of us love Freezing Saddles, but due to work constraints, family obligations, injuries, or other perfectly viable reasons, have taken to the peanut gallery to provide levity to the season.

So Slackers of the Forum, unite! Whenever you feel up to it, if you can get that internet working, which might require a trip down to the basement to reboot that router, which is so far away so you might not do it until you get a good load of laundry ready to take down there as well, but hey who needs to do laundry when you're working from home three days a week and you don't have to leave the house because you discovered that Lost Dog Cafe delivers through Grubhub, and their food is tasty so maybe you should just watch more netflix instead, and then you have to remember your stupid Strava password because you haven't bothered to login in a while to track your mileage, because who rides their bike during the winter, so you might as well not go to strava and join the team because it's so cold in the basement too, where'd those slippers go...

https://www.strava.com/clubs/bafs-slackers

consularrider
01-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Can you be both a slacker and a BAFS participant I could post my stationary bike rides to the slacker club.

Emm
01-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks for setting this up! I'm actually hoping to ride to work a little this winter, but not enough to really make freezing saddles worth it.

And the description of teleworking and slippers really hit home for me--that describes me at least 2 days a week :)

PeteD
01-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Can you be both a slacker and a BAFS participant I could post my stationary bike rides to the slacker club.

You can be a slacker in spirit, but I think if you're on a team you can't officially be a slacker. But slack away :)

noodles
01-08-2016, 02:23 PM
We can add the captain of Team 15 to this thread. lol

cvcalhoun
01-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Just remember that only veterans (people who have participated on ar least one prior Freezing Saddles) can be slackers.

hozn
01-08-2016, 08:20 PM
https://www.strava.com/clubs/bafs-slackers

Thanks for setting this up, Pete! I joined the team out of an interest in being on the leaderboard/in the system for app testing purposes.

consularrider
01-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Thanks for setting this up, Pete! I joined the team out of an interest in being on the leaderboard/in the system for app testing purposes.

Yeah I'm sure that's the reason. :rolleyes:

PeteD
01-12-2016, 07:11 AM
Oddly, I'm the only slacker. I've been slack in my recruiting methods...

Vicegrip
01-12-2016, 08:02 AM

Yeah I'm sure that's the reason. :rolleyes:

That is what he told his wife about his google history too. :)

83(b)
01-12-2016, 12:24 PM
I finally got around to clicking on the BAFS Slackers Strava link because I'm procrastinating on writing a memo. The same procrastination led me to backfill data for all of my 2016 commutes.

Am I doing this slacker thing right?

cvcalhoun
01-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Well, you still aren't managing to slack on the riding as much as PeteD. But otherwise you are a perfect slacker.

DismalScientist
01-12-2016, 03:23 PM
A real slacker wouldn't bother to backfill data.

Vicegrip
01-12-2016, 05:04 PM
A real slacker is akin to Schrodinger's cat. The second he or she does something to identify as such he/she ceases to exist as a slacker.

cvcalhoun
01-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks for setting this up! I'm actually hoping to ride to work a little this winter, but not enough to really make freezing saddles worth it.

And the description of teleworking and slippers really hit home for me--that describes me at least 2 days a week :)
Did you mean to join? Because while slacking is officially encouraged, you do at least need to authorize the app (at http://freezingsaddles.com/authorize) and join Pete's Strava club to be counted.

PotomacCyclist
01-13-2016, 11:23 AM
I briefly considered signing up for the slacker team although I haven't participated in BAFS in the past and I'm not signed up with Strava. Plus I don't like cold weather. So I will just be a non-participating observer, again. But yesterday, I did manage to ride in DC, Maryland and Virginia, all in the same day. But not continuously. I took Metro in between the jurisdictions, then did some riding in each location.

cvcalhoun
01-13-2016, 02:18 PM
I briefly considered signing up for the slacker team although I haven't participated in BAFS in the past and I'm not signed up with Strava. Plus I don't like cold weather. So I will just be a non-participating observer, again. But yesterday, I did manage to ride in DC, Maryland and Virginia, all in the same day. But not continuously. I took Metro in between the jurisdictions, then did some riding in each location.
Just for clarification for others (even though it's obviously not an issue for you), only veterans of prior Freezing Saddles can be official slackers.

dbb
01-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Just for clarification for others (even though it's obviously not an issue for you), only veterans of prior Freezing Saddles can be official slackers.

Being an unofficial slacker could well raise the slacker art to a new level! Don't even work hard enough to become official!

PeteD
02-04-2016, 03:20 PM
Still Slacking... The official "reason" is that "I promised my wife only one of us would be recovering from surgery at any one time." I'm just being lazy. Man it's cold out there. And I needed to catch up on my Cyclocross video watching. Today I think I'm going to spin a little indoors and watch the Cadel Evans Road Race... Or maybe the first stage of the Tour of Oman.. Dunno, still better than being awesome and biking outside.

--Pete

rcannon100
02-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Still Slacking... The official "reason" is that "I promised my wife only one of us would be recovering from surgery at any one time." I'm just being lazy. Man it's cold out there. And I needed to catch up on my Cyclocross video watching. Today I think I'm going to spin a little indoors and watch the Cadel Evans Road Race... Or maybe the first stage of the Tour of Oman.. Dunno, still better than being awesome and biking outside.

--Pete

Yes, I have a question:

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/coffee117.jpg

?

chris_s
02-13-2016, 07:08 PM
http://mizook.com/keep/slackers.png

You guys are doing your name proud!

KLizotte
02-13-2016, 08:53 PM
We are the SANE ones and proud of it! The rest of you are just plain crazy. Just sayin'

PotomacCyclist
02-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Being an unofficial slacker could well raise the slacker art to a new level! Don't even work hard enough to become official!

The thing is that I've probably biked outside more this winter than I did during the past winter or two. Not big miles or anything (and not today), but I've been outside this winter at least... once.

No, more than that, including a few super-long (but super-slow) rides. But I've never signed up with Strava so I've never signed up for BAFS. I've been riding on CaBi or the mtn bike with no serious training workouts or long-distance commutes. But I have been exploring various neighborhoods all over the DC region, through a combination of biking, walking, Metro'ing (if that's not a word, I'm declaring that it is now) and Metrobus'ing.