PDA

View Full Version : Team 12

wheels&wings
01-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Hi Team 12! Do we have a Forum thread or a Strava club? If not, we can start here.
This is our roster:
Team 12:
AFHokie
bentbike33
bikingjenn
cyclingfool
IronMoney
KWL
millerj826
peterw_diy
Red Ryder
snugglefestival
timv
wheels&wings
Thavaradhara
We can discuss team names via Strava once we’ve got a club set up. I have a favorite name in mind, as some of you know.
Last night I met KWL - our acting team captain, plus peterw_diy, snugglefestival, and timv – our ringer.
I look forward to meeting the rest of you.
If anyone wants to get coffee this weekend at Best Buns or elsewhere, please holler! We can set something up.
Happy riding!! w&w

snugglefestival
01-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone! I'm excited to be joining Freezing Saddles for the first time this year. I love biking for exercise and have started commuting by bike more and more, (though not in the winter!). On the advice of a fellow Freezing Saddles rider, I took my second/hybrid bike to the office and locked it in our bike room so that I can sneak out and get in mid-day bike rides to keep the points coming throughout the week.

Last weekend I broke out my sewing machine to create a fleece balaclava and headband with a badass electric green and blue houndstooth/skull fabric (picture attached). I made extras (5 balaclavas and 5 headbands) and would be happy to give them to anyone on the team who is interested.

I'd be happy to set up our team in Strava if we need someone to do this, and am always game to plan and organize events or whatnot.

bentbike33
01-08-2016, 11:35 AM
I set up the Team 12 Strava club, I think. See if you can join here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/175542.

I am a long-time bike commuter, but first-time BAFS rider. In prior years I gave up the full bike commute during Standard Time riding only to metro. But I so hate riding indoor stationary bikes to try to keep in shape that this year I'm doing the full commute through the winter, ice and snow permitting. I live near Tyson's Corner and work near L'Enfant Plaza, so I'm mostly on the W&OD, Custis, and MVT.

Since my job involves leading a sizable organization and making lots of decisions, I prefer to let others lead in my leisure activities and to go with the flow.

I would like one of snugglefestival's headbands, please!

cyclingfool
01-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Checking in. This is my third year doing Freezing Saddles. I used to be a lot more active on the forum but a combination of life circumstances and the fact that I no longer have a desk job and the opportunity to fill voids in my day by checking in on the forum mean I am not as active as I used to be, much to my chagrin (but I digress).

I'm a regular year-round commuter (Del Ray to Clarendon at the moment), but rarely have the opportunity to ride otherwise. I've been riding thus far in 2016, though I haven't uploaded to Strava in a couple weeks. I just joined the Strava group for our team. I'm looking forward to this year's FS.

Cheers teammates! Let's go, Big 12! ;)

peterw_diy
01-08-2016, 06:01 PM
I'd love just some good patterns, having finally laundered the fleece I bought months ago so I could make color coordinated headgear.

snugglefestival
01-08-2016, 10:51 PM
This is the site I used for the balaclava pattern: http://projectophile.net/2013/12/19/gift-for-your-favorite-crossing-guard/

There were some other fancier ones, but this was really simple and easy.

snugglefestival
01-09-2016, 08:36 AM
I compared our Forum roster to the Strava roster and think we are missing bikingjenn, IronMoney, millerj826, Red Ryder, and one more. I am new to the Forum myself and not so savvy with this site but tried sending them private messages to connect. Hopefully we will get the full group together on Strava soon!

peterw_diy
01-09-2016, 09:33 AM
There were some other fancier ones, but this was really simple and easy.

Great, thanks!

KWL
01-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Sorry I went missing. Thank you w&w for starting things off and big thanks to bentbike for setting up our Strava group. This is my first year for Freezing Saddles and I just started using Strava a few months ago, so it was very nice having you folks cover for me.

I'm a year round commuter from Del Ray to Georgetown. I haven't been doing much weekend riding for a few years now, but am going to get out on weekends for BAFS this winter. My days of back to back centuries like TOSRV are long gone, however. Count on 26 points every workday and at least 22 points for the weekend from me. Now I think I better go join our Strava group.

KWL
01-09-2016, 04:25 PM
I compared our Forum roster to the Strava roster and think we are missing bikingjenn, IronMoney, millerj826, Red Ryder, and one more. I am new to the Forum myself and not so savvy with this site but tried sending them private messages to connect. Hopefully we will get the full group together on Strava soon!I'll PM cvcalhoun to get their email addresses so I can hound them.

bentbike33
01-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Captain KWL:

I made you an Admin of the Strava group.

KWL
01-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Captain KWL:

I made you an Admin of the Strava group.Excellent. Thank you.

KWL
01-13-2016, 07:38 PM
This Saturday at 10:45 Port City Brewery is having its Pedals 'N' Pints short ride. It is a very mellow 10 mile ride from the brewery and back, followed by the option of having beer and food from a food truck. I can lead a ride from the caboose on the W&OD in Bluemont, from there it is an about 7 mile/40 minute ride. Some of the route is on Walter Reed and Braddock Rd, so comfort riding with traffic is needed. I'd leave at 9:50 sharp. If you'd rather not ride there, you can drive to the brewery and meet up there. Please let me know if you are interested. Note that the route is not 100% smooth, so commuter/cross/hybrid bikes are best. You can get more info on the ride here:http://www.portcitybrewing.com/events/pedals-n-pints-the-short-ride-january/

Capt'n SteveI was on the very first Port City Brewery ride and have a special place in my heart for them. Besides really enjoying everything Bill Butcher brews. I first met Lord of the Mark on one of their rides. Anyone else from Team 12 interested in joining us?

https://www.facebook.com/events/188005448214168/

snugglefestival
01-14-2016, 08:45 AM
I'm in and signed up on Strava. Anyone from Team 12 want to meet at the caboose?

bentbike33
01-14-2016, 10:17 AM
Regrets.

I'll be at rehearsal for the Reston Community Orchestra MLK Weekend Concert (http://restoncommunityorchestra.org/free-concert-series/annual-tribute-to-martin-luther-king-jr/), which all are welcome to attend at 4:00 Saturday at Reston Community Center, Hunters Woods (http://www.restoncommunitycenter.com/). I'm principal cellist.

wheels&wings
01-14-2016, 10:28 AM
ooh, I wish I could join you, KWL and snugglefestival. And I wish I could hear bentbike33 playing the cello! I'm tied up this weekend at a gymnastics competition. Hopefully we can arrange something for the next weekend, if that works for any of you...

KWL
01-14-2016, 11:12 AM
...Hopefully we can arrange something for the next weekend, if that works for any of you...As long as it involves beer or coffee (oh, and some riding I guess), I'll do my best to be there.

AFHokie
01-14-2016, 03:00 PM
I'm a possibility, but it'll likely be a game day decision whether or not I can. If so, I'll be at the caboose.

wheels&wings
01-14-2016, 07:53 PM
My dear fellow Cyclo-Paths and Psychopaths:
Please say hi in our Strava Team 12 chatroom. We’ve not heard a word from half of our teammates. We want to make sure that nobody gets left out of these super-secret and important strategic discussions. :)
Or at least we’d like to say hi.
Thanks! w&w

KWL
01-15-2016, 11:12 AM
My dear fellow Cyclo-Paths and Psychopaths:
Please say hi in our Strava Team 12 chatroom. We’ve not heard a word from half of our teammates. We want to make sure that nobody gets left out of these super-secret and important strategic discussions. :)
Or at least we’d like to say hi.
Thanks! w&wAnd here is a one-click path to the discussion tab (well, you may need to log in too) (https://www.strava.com/clubs/175542/discussion)

snugglefestival
01-15-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm sorry to be a flake but I'm going to skip tomorrow's organized ride and head out for a longer road ride on my own. We will make an outing work eventually, I am sure of it!

KWL
01-15-2016, 08:18 PM
I'm sorry to be a flake but I'm going to skip tomorrow's organized ride and head out for a longer road ride on my own. We will make an outing work eventually, I am sure of it!That's OK. Ride lots of miles for Team 12 tomorrow.

wheels&wings
01-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Please join Team 12 Cyclo-Paths and friends this Friday night Jan. 22nd at Capitol City Brewery in Shirlington. We’ll be gathering around 6 pm – though earlier or later is fine too, depending on everyone’s schedules. There’s a storm in the forecast, but most likely it won’t hit ‘til later.
Please let us know if you can make it. All teams and friends are welcome.
Hope to see you on Friday evening!

KWL
01-19-2016, 05:20 PM
Please join Team 12 Cyclo-Paths and friends this Friday night Jan. 22nd at Capitol City Brewery in Shirlington. We’ll be gathering around 6 pm – though earlier or later is fine too, depending on everyone’s schedules. There’s a storm in the forecast, but most likely it won’t hit ‘til later.
Please let us know if you can make it. All teams and friends are welcome.
Hope to see you on Friday evening!As crazy as it sounds, I am still planning on being there. I will be sorely disappointed if I am the only one there.

KWL
01-20-2016, 05:57 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on doing some snow riding this weekend. I'd be willing to break the trail around Del Ray/Shirlington if anyone wants to join me. I do need to amortize the cost of the Pugsley over as many snow days as I can.

skibumleg
01-21-2016, 08:27 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on doing some snow riding this weekend. I'd be willing to break the trail around Del Ray/Shirlington if anyone wants to join me. I do need to amortize the cost of the Pugsley over as many snow days as I can.

I only have one bike, a road bike with 25cm tires. Not sure how I'm going to manage on snowy pavement. This is a first for me. I definitely want to get some miles in just trying to figure out how to do it, suggestions? Other than find an empty parking garage somewhere :).

KWL
01-21-2016, 08:39 AM
I only have one bike, a road bike with 25cm tires. Not sure how I'm going to manage on snowy pavement. This is a first for me. I definitely want to get some miles in just trying to figure out how to do it, suggestions? Other than find an empty parking garage somewhere :).Circles in a parking deck are just one small step above an indoor trainer. I assume they would be FS countable miles. Though perhaps not...it could be considered indoors.

Perhaps on Sunday, Arlington will have some of the trails plowed. Rent a CaBi?

KWL
01-21-2016, 11:43 AM
As crazy as it sounds, I am still planning on being there. I will be sorely disappointed if I am the only one there.I'm beginning to change my mind on this. Why sit around at Cap City while things get worse outside? I'm all for slogging through the snow Friday after work if my destination is my warm, cozy abode. All those in favor of postponement [raises hand]...

bentbike33
01-21-2016, 12:41 PM
All those in favor of postponement [raises hand]...

+1.

What about a pre-telework ride for breakfast?

wheels&wings
01-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Team 12 and friends: We will postpone our Friday night Cap City happy hour due to the impending storm.
Hopefully we can all try and get in some miles before the tempest hits. And after that, we shall see…:) There is nothing shameful in sleazing!
Be safe, everyone. w&w

KWL
01-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Well, if we didn't get together and drink, we must have been out riding. We are now in 10th place. By only 16 points so that could change quickly.

snugglefestival
01-23-2016, 09:52 AM
I'm headed to New District Brewery this afternoon... by bike (possibly by walking alongside of it!).... with a couple of friends. Maybe I will see some of you there?

Update: Biking was Impossible! But we are walking.

kwarkentien
01-23-2016, 12:32 PM
I will be stopping by as well. I will be biking as I live right off of Walter Reed above 4MR Drive. Getting back up the hill will be a b!+€# but I'll worry about that later. What time are folks planning to get there?

snugglefestival
01-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Sorry I didn't see this earlier! We were there around 2-3. It was PACKED!

kwarkentien
01-23-2016, 08:52 PM
It was packed when I got there around 3:15ish. Must've just missed you.

wheels&wings
02-01-2016, 09:04 AM
The happy hour for Team 12, friends, and soon-to-be-friends will take place this Friday evening 5 February 2016. Please join us from 6 pm onward at Capitol City Brewing Company in Shirlington. Our prior HH got snowed out, but this Friday will be sunny in the 40s, practically Mediterranean. :) All teams are welcome. Please let us know if you can make it. w&w

KWL
02-01-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm in. Will we get an outdoor table? :)

snugglefestival
02-01-2016, 06:00 PM
I'm in!

KWL
02-01-2016, 06:02 PM
And I will once again offer totally unused, NIB (well, there was no Box) Freezing Saddles Reflective Neon Green Bands to the first two non-Team 12 friends to join us.

KWL
02-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Just a reminder (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9760-Team-12&p=133820#post133820). Friends of Team 12 Cyclo Paths are welcome. Even Team 9 members who stole our 12th place.

kwarkentien
02-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Team 18 Autocorrect may make an appearance at your soirée (well, me at least).

Judd
02-03-2016, 07:19 PM
I will be representing Team 13, mostly because snugglefestival is buying me beer.

sjclaeys
02-04-2016, 01:28 PM
The happy hour for Team 12, friends, and soon-to-be-friends will take place this Friday evening 5 February 2016. Please join us from 6 pm onward at Capitol City Brewing Company in Shirlington. Our prior HH got snowed out, but this Friday will be sunny in the 40s, practically Mediterranean. :) All teams are welcome. Please let us know if you can make it. w&w

Does all teams mean Team 14? Up to you, but you might want to post this on the Freezing Saddles general events thread (assuming you want other teams there).

wheels&wings
02-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Yes indeed, team 14 and all teams are welcome to join us. The more the merrier. I think we have about 10 RSVPs so far. Please come. :)

DismalScientist
02-04-2016, 02:37 PM
I'll be there. I'm always good for drunken trash talkin'.

Arlingtonrider
02-04-2016, 03:43 PM
I hope to be there!

sjclaeys
02-04-2016, 04:16 PM
I hope to go and will post on the team 14 thread.

Steve O
02-05-2016, 09:20 AM
I will be there representing Team Dos Equis - Bust Bollards, My Friends

wheels&wings
02-05-2016, 01:27 PM
Friendly Reminder - please join us for Happy Hour at Cap City Brewing Co. in Shirlington tonight.
This is for all teams including (but not limited to) the mighty Cyclo-Paths. Everyone please come... it does not matter what team you're on. :) w&w

Teresa A
02-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Tim V and I will be there!

Steve O
02-05-2016, 10:03 PM

Arlingtonrider
02-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Many thanks to wheels & wings and Team 12 for a very fun gathering last night! Wheels & wings gets major extra kudos for the cyclocross factor in most of her ride to the event.

Judd
02-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Thanks Team 12 for hosting. It was great meeting everyone!

kwarkentien
02-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Another enjoyable unholy alliance of colluding co-conspirators. Thanks w&w for arranging this summit.

snugglefestival
02-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Tomorrow (Wednesday), the National Portrait Gallery is hosting its monthly Pop Quiz trivia night. The event is from 6:30 - 7:30pm in the Kogod Courtyard. The theme is Love Stories. I'm going and shared it with some folks on the Women & Bicycles group and so hope one or two other ladies will join as well. It's open to all, so come down if you can! It's free and you can bring your own food and drink, or purchase items from the cafe. All are welcome. :)

KWL
02-11-2016, 11:06 AM
This morning's chill prompted me to say "Thank You" once again to snugglefestive for the headbands, balaclavas and neck gaiters she handed out to Team 12 members at the HH. Mine kept my face & neck toasty warm today. Here is TimV modeling a combination of a headband and a gaiter.

snugglefestival
02-11-2016, 05:38 PM
You're welcome, KWL!

I've been working such long hours for the last few weeks and hit my limit today. I am so exhausted I can't think straight. I was so very tired on the drive home that I doubted I'd be able to suffer through even a sleaze ride today. But then I changed into leggings, Uggs, a knee-length puffy coat, a hat, and my electric-green-pixelated-skull-houndstooth neck gaiter, put my hands in my bar mitts, and hit the road for a quick ride.

Two blocks later, a 30-something guy drove up next to me, slowed down his car, rolled down his window, and shouted out, "Oh my gosh, you look so cute!" I have no idea how someone could have looked at my fully winterized, puffy-coated, fuzzy-booted self and thought it was cute, but this made me laugh out loud and gave me just enough of a boost of energy to take my "long sleaze" route instead of my "short sleaze" route. Maybe it was the neck gaiter?! You all have to let me know if you start getting compliments from strangers because of them. ;-)

This is only the second time ever that a driver has slowed down to talk to me on my bike. The other time was last summer when I was biking on the road in McLean and an elderly guy slowed down and beckoned me over to thank me for riding in such a straight line and obeying the stop signs and lights. He said he'd been behind me for a few blocks and appreciated how careful and predictable a biker I was. It was adorable and made me feel great, as you always hear about rude drivers cursing and yelling at bikers, but here was a friendly driver going out of his way to say thank you to someone for being a good road-sharer.

On another note, I took the advice of the team and posted a pointless prize for Strava art. Check out the thread and submit an entry!

KWL
02-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Two blocks later, a 30-something guy drove up next to me, slowed down his car, rolled down his window, and shouted out, "Oh my gosh, you look so cute!" ...Maybe it was the neck gaiter?! You all have to let me know if you start getting compliments from strangers because of them. ;-)Yeah, happens to me all the time.:rolleyes:

AFHokie
02-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Fellow members of 12,
This is last minute & I posted last night on the Strava page, but wanted to post here as well:

In light of Saturday's awesome weather forecast, I'm proposing a group ride. Snugglefestival suggested a ride to Carolina Bros BBQ. I was thinking we could meet at the Bluemont caboose (I think that's relatively central for all) at 0900.

I hope everyone can make it, but realized this is a last minute plan. Please let me know if you're interested so we don't leave anyone behind.

bentbike33
02-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Maybe it was the neck gaiter?! You all have to let me know if you start getting compliments from strangers because of them. ;-)

Wednesday afternoon, I passed a rider wearing the Snugglefestival signature hounds-tooth-skull neck gaiter and I said: "Team 12?"

Alas, no, he was from a rival team. I think it was 16.

lordofthemark
02-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Wednesday afternoon, I passed a rider wearing the Snugglefestival signature hounds-tooth-skull neck gaiter and I said: "Team 12?"

Alas, no, he was from a rival team. I think it was 16.

A closer look would have revealed that it was not hounds teeth and skulls, but an abstract geometric pattern, though in the same colors. That cloth having been available at the BikeArlington "Beer, Baklava and Balaclavas" event at New District Brewing, back in December (or was it November?)

And it was team 19.

Still a very striking Freezing Saddles moment.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your ride :)

snugglefestival
02-19-2016, 01:11 PM
I am in for a ride tomorrow if you all call gather at 10 or 11 instead.

AFHokie
02-19-2016, 02:27 PM
I'm flexible, want to split the difference and call showtime at 10:30?

snugglefestival
02-19-2016, 03:33 PM
10:30 makes me very happy! I have a non-FS friend who might join us. Anyone else in?