PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Nineteen!

lordofthemark
01-08-2016, 10:00 AM
PC Chile is our acting captain, but I am told is currently busy, so we can get the discussion started now.

Our members are

Team 19:
americancyclo
BetGrrl
Dirt
ginacico
Greg Halter
Joan
kcb203
Kitty
kjdtarheel
lordofthemark
msalemme
PC-Chile
Tamar

I have an idea for a team name, hinted at in the thread title.

BetGrrl
01-08-2016, 10:13 AM
LOVE that team name!

"She thinks I'm crazy but I'm just growin' old"...sigh...

lordofthemark
01-08-2016, 10:15 AM
LOVE that team name!

"She thinks I'm crazy but I'm just growin' old"...sigh...

I am thinking either Sole Survivors, or Soul Survivors, but just "Hey Nineteen" could work too.

americancyclo
01-08-2016, 10:25 AM
I didn't see the thread b/c it didn't have the number 19 in it!

Should I start a Strava Club?

lordofthemark
01-08-2016, 10:28 AM
I didn't see the thread b/c it didn't have the number 19 in it!

Should I start a Strava Club?

Go ahead.

Any thoughts on the team name? I like either Soul Survivors or Sole Survivors, as relevant to Freezing Saddles, you know.

BetGrrl
01-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Well, I still vote for just good ol' "Hey Nineteen," but I'll sit back now and let the others make their views known.

- Bettina from Adams Morgan

americancyclo
01-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Go ahead.

Any thoughts on the team name? I like either Soul Survivors or Sole Survivors, as relevant to Freezing Saddles, you know.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/175523

lordofthemark
01-08-2016, 10:34 AM
BTW, by way of introduction, my real name is Ken, I live in northwest Alexandria (the forgotten part of Alexandria), am kind of a newbie as I got back into riding in 2012 after several decades of riding very very little, have been commuting a couple of times a week to Navy Yard, and was introduced to Freezing Saddles last year by the nice folks at the Shirlington Hump Day Coffee Club, especially ArlingtonRider. I was down in the bottom half of the leaderboards last year, but have tried to get off to a better start this year.

BetGrrl
01-08-2016, 10:36 AM
O.k., Sole Survivors it is, then! Woooohoooo!

americancyclo
01-08-2016, 10:49 AM
O.k., Sole Survivors it is, then! Woooohoooo!
I'm still down with a vote on a name. we have a ton of members.

BetGrrl
01-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Will it be easy to change the club name on Strava? I already joined.

BTW, if we're doing intros, I "commute" 2 miles to work and 2.2 miles home again daily, and have been commuting around this number of miles to my various workplaces since maybe 2004. I ride a hybrid clunker with platform pedals, but have been tempted and cajoled lately into getting a real bike. But it still makes me nervous. However...I am a hobby triathlete, and so it may be time for a change...

ginacico
01-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Hey, Nineteens!

I'm Gina (aka the "stand-in" for consularrider) living right off the W&OD in north Arlington. I moved from Anne Arundel County this past summer, and since I'm now a short radius from work (NatGeo downtown) I started bike commuting a couple days a week. I love winter sports, but this will be my first season attempting to cycle in cold conditions.

Vaya (my bike) is equipped with 40mm tires, and she's always up for adventure. I'm especially motivated by coffee (first-time Coffeeneuring finisher!), social gatherings, and any silly excuses to get outside.

To wit, I'm hoping to visit some of Arlington's public art projects (http://www.bikearlington.com/tasks/sites/bike/assets/file/tours/art_tour10-2010.pdf) in the next couple of months. They can be solo rides, but with enough advance notice I may post here in case anyone wants to join me and log a few miles.

I just got back from a trip south (canoeing in the Okefenokee and visiting Jekyll Island), haven't been on a bike in awhile but anxious to resume. Really looking forward to meeting more of my teammates and other BA folks!

americancyclo
01-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Will it be easy to change the club name on Strava? I already joined.

easy to change the name, and we'll all need to decide on a team photo too!

One of your team members works at a really sweet bike shop near Falls Church, VA.

kcb203
01-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Hello. I'm Keith. I live on the Arlington/Falls Church border and try to bike to work three days a week. I split time between DC and Reston, so you'll see most of my riding is split between those areas, though I also like to hammer the North Arlington hills every now and then.

I'm kind of a cold weather wimp, though, but am trying to be a little tougher this year.

BetGrrl
01-08-2016, 02:28 PM
easy to change the name, and we'll all need to decide on a team photo too!

One of your team members works at a really sweet bike shop near Falls Church, VA.

I know this is really short notice, but it just so happens that I don't have anything planned yet for tomorrow morning, so if anyone from our team would want to meet at this "really sweet bike shop near Falls Church, VA," I could be there as early as 8:30 am. Just name the time and the shop.

lordofthemark
01-08-2016, 02:32 PM
I know this is really short notice, but it just so happens that I don't have anything planned yet for tomorrow morning, so if anyone from our team would want to meet at this "really sweet bike shop near Falls Church, VA," I could be there as early as 8:30 am. Just name the time and the shop.

I can't make that, but if afterwards y'all want to ride from that really sweet bike shop (where I got my Kona Dew, which, though a hybrid with platform pedals, I cannot bring myself to call a clunker :P ) down the W&OD for some beerneuring at the newly opened New District Brewing, I should be there at or shortly after 1PM. I will try to remember to wear my freezing saddles wrist bands.

Boomer2U
01-08-2016, 02:43 PM
I am not on your team but just posted to see if anyone would notice. I grew up on Steely Dan. Love, Boomer

BetGrrl
01-08-2016, 03:56 PM
Ha ha, of course we notice, Boomer, when you're around...or not around. :(

Yup, listened to Steely Dan all morning thanks to Shawn. Oops, I mean Ken.

Joan
01-08-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm Joan. I live at the top of a hill in the Del Ray area of Alexandria.

I bike for transportation as often as possible.

I am currently riding Green Hornet, my Bridgestone hybrid with mustache handlebars, slick tires, and a sticker that says “Zero gallons per mile”.

My husband is rebuilding Serotta_ti_grrrl's wheels because her rear rim cracked. In 1995, she was custom built for someone else who biked 200 miles before being injured. Poor Serotta_ti_grrrl sat in the basement waiting for me until March 2003. Now she has in been in my basement waiting for new wheels since mid-December. I hope to get her back on the road in a week or so.

As a member of Babes on Bikes (BoB), I ride to socialize with friends during the day on weekdays including a hill ride most weeks. I manage BoB email list and sign up new members for “the babes”. At least eight members of BoB are participating in Freezing Saddles, but I’m the only one on this team. At least I think I am.

I have been biking with BoB since 1999 when I rode my first century on the Green Hornet. Last fall my life got hijacked and I missed a whole season of biking. It’s much harder to BEGIN biking in the winter so I only rode a handful of days last winter. When my neighbor, Trey, told me about Freezing Saddles last spring, I knew it would be the perfect way to keep me biking this winter. I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time. I started using Strava this summer to prepare for Freezing Saddles. Then I joined the National Bike Challenge mid-summer, which encouraged me to ride (almost) every day.

I am very competitive, so this challenge REALLY motivates me to get out the door. Once I’m outside, I am so glad to be there. I intend to bike every day. I’m trying to figure out how to bike when I’m on a week-long cross country ski trip in Craftsbury, Vermont, at the end of February. I mentioned this to Teresa last night and she encouraged me to look into renting a bike up there.

I’m really looking forward to FS. Looks like we have a great team!

It was a pleasure to meet some of you at HH last night. Sorry for such a long-winded introduction.

lordofthemark
01-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Ha ha, of course we notice, Boomer, when you're around...or not around. :(

Yup, listened to Steely Dan all morning thanks to Shawn. Oops, I mean Ken.

Thats okay, I tend to call Shawn, Steve. The other Shawn that is. I have also been known to call Helen, Jan, which is even more embarrassing.

BetGrrl
01-08-2016, 05:47 PM
You venerated senior members...who's the other Shawn? :confused: Thank you for your understanding, Ken. I'm new to this list and a bit overwhelmed by how many of you already know each other personally. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Yikes, Joan...I will admit that before I read your post, I was looking at your position on the leaderboard and plotting my weekend plans so that I might get you on the mileage. :rolleyes:

BTW, I will be far from any bike or road for 16 days in February - sorry about that. It's dawning on me now that I'll need to make up for those lost weeks.

Joan
01-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Yikes, Joan...I will admit that before I read your post, I was looking at your position on the leaderboard and plotting my weekend plans so that I might get you on the mileage. :rolleyes:

I usually don't ride as much on weekends, but I will bike at least a couple miles every day I can during this challenge.

I had planned a 65 mile transportation ride for tomorrow but now I have to drive there on Sunday instead. Bummer, but probably not terrible for my legs to get a little rest. I've been riding more than usual since FS started.

msalemme
01-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Hi everyone!

Sorry I missed the happy hour. This is my third time participating in Freezing Saddles. I ride mostly on the weekends but try to ride at least a mile every day. My goal this year is to not be the Queen of Sleaze.

Mary

americancyclo
01-08-2016, 11:10 PM
You venerated senior members...who's the other Shawn? :confused: Thank you for your understanding, Ken. I'm new to this list and a bit overwhelmed by how many of you already know each other personally. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

BTW, I will be far from any bike or road for 16 days in February - sorry about that. It's dawning on me now that I'll need to make up for those lost weeks.

The other Shawn is Shawn Dread. I'm this Shawn.
My commute is falls church to DC about four times per week.
I usually try to do the Friday coffee club caravan from Vienna to DC with a stop at Java shack. Sometimes I made hump day coffee club at best buns on Wednesdays. I've got two small kids so commutes are the bulk of my mileage and I'm usually in to work too early to have much socializing fun. Weekend rides without a four year old in tow will be rare but I might get one or two team rides in. I'll also be off the bike for two weeks at the end of January.

Oh and Pete / Dirt is on our team, he works at Bikenetic bike shop in falls church and is more amazing than rainbow farting unicorns. The most fun I have ever had on a bike ride was usually right after Pete told me we were all gonna die.

Hope to see you all out on the trails somewhere!

ShawnoftheDread
01-08-2016, 11:43 PM
No no no, you're the other Shawn.

ginacico
01-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Finally, I'm out of the starting gate, rode down to the New District Brewing Company. The place was packed, and there was very little bike parking. I saw two bikes locked to the one sign out front, but there was nowhere else to leave Vaya. I figured I had little chance of finding anyone I knew, so I went on to Best Buns. Sure enough, cruising through Shirlington I bumped into KayakCyndi (with Dave) and consularrider.

Had something really weird happen when I loaded the ride into Strava. I use a Polar M400 GPS watch to track my workout, which then syncs here:
https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/353436414

But when I exported a file (.tcx) and imported it into Strava, it reported only 5.0 miles, even though the route was the same. Wha?? Cheated!! I deleted the ride, exported a .gpx file, and that seemed to import correctly and got picked up by the Freezing Saddles app.
http://www.strava.com/activities/466771878

lordofthemark
01-09-2016, 06:31 PM
I was at New District at 5ish, it was still packed.

Kitty
01-11-2016, 08:31 AM
Hello everyone! Sorry for being late to the introductions party.

I'm Kitty/Grace (and with the former being a long-time nickname, I will answer to either in a real-world setting). I've been commuting/erranding by bike since I came out here for grad school in 2009, and for the past number of years gotten gradually more into cycling as a hobby. Each year I've had a new goal/challenges: 3 yeara ago - join National Bike Challenge and attempt the WABA 13 Colonies Ride; 2 years ago - attempt WABA's 50 States Ride; Last year - (get a new bike with more than 7-speeds) attempt a century. (Last year I also joined the forum, joined Phoenix Bikes - "All the Cycle Ladies" group, and rode further than ever in the NBC... I'm now linked into the community and addicted! :cool:) Having done all these these, I suppose this year is starting out with my first time doing BAFS and first time using Strava!

This winter I'll do my best. Previously I took the Metro more than I'd like to admit in the winter, but this year I'm going to try to do the commute by bike as much as I can. (Sadly its only a bit over 5 miles round-trip!) In the past I also didn't do long weekend rides this time of year, but I'll try to make up mileage on Saturdays, especially if we get any team rides going! With that, I hope I can ride with you guys this season.

Tim Kelley
01-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Finally, I'm out of the starting gate, rode down to the New District Brewing Company. The place was packed, and there was very little bike parking. I saw two bikes locked to the one sign out front, but there was nowhere else to leave Vaya.

You can take your bike inside. (seriously!)

Joan
01-11-2016, 03:28 PM
It looks to me like we are still missing someone. 13 members are listed in the Team assignments and only 12 joined the Strava club.

ginacico
01-11-2016, 03:29 PM
You can take your bike inside. (seriously!)

Whaaa?!? That's quite hospitable of them... and now I want a re-do.

Glad New District had such a successful launch, and I'm still trying to figure out what their hours (open to the public) will be. It could make a great FS#19 team outing.

BetGrrl
01-11-2016, 03:37 PM
LordoftheMark and I have determined that it's that tarheel person who is missing. Anyone know who that is?

A Team 19 meeting at New Disrict sounds great to me!

lordofthemark
01-11-2016, 06:07 PM
I believe New District will be open Friday evenings, and noon to 10 PM on Saturdays for the time being. I might be able to make it on Saturday night.

Joan
01-11-2016, 07:06 PM
LordoftheMark and I have determined that it's that tarheel person who is missing. Anyone know who that is?

I guessed our missing person is either "Greg Halter" or "kjdtarheel". In some cases, it's hard to match Strava and forum user names. Someone has email addresses for everyone.

msalemme
01-11-2016, 08:27 PM
cvcalhoun is the keeper of all the contact info. I sent her an email so we can contact our missing team member.

Rod Smith
01-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Greg Halter is on your Strava club already. He is a ringer.

lordofthemark
01-11-2016, 09:47 PM
I regret that the combination of attending the Transportation Research Board Conference, and family obligations has prevented me from riding today. I hope to at least get in sleaze rides in the next couple of days.

BetGrrl
01-12-2016, 11:40 AM
I've learned that trying to pick up extra miles during the week in the city is barely worth all the traffic lights and craziness. Now I realize why I am a runner first and a cyclist second! I'll do what I can, but I may be resorting to Weekend Warrior mode.

kjdtarheel
01-12-2016, 04:27 PM
First time poster. Hi all. Until Mary emailed me today I had no idea I'd been picked for a team. I'm Kevin/kjdtarheel and I'm looking forward to meeting some knew folks and going for some rides. As soon as my ride gets out of the shop, that is. It's in for overhaul after being rode hard and put up wet the past two years. Not that I put it up wet, that's a figure of speech.

So as not to let the side down, I'm going to try to get out tonight for a short ride on the back-up bike. Looking forward to seeing you out there.

americancyclo
01-13-2016, 05:17 AM
I've learned that trying to pick up extra miles during the week in the city is barely worth all the traffic lights and craziness. Now I realize why I am a runner first and a cyclist second! I'll do what I can, but I may be resorting to Weekend Warrior mode.

It can be worth it if you have easy access to Haines Point, RFK stadium or the arboretum which are all nice loops. Last year I tried to get out for 3 laps of HP at lunch at least twice per week. This year may be different.

BetGrrl
01-13-2016, 09:39 PM
It can be worth it if you have easy access to Haines Point, RFK stadium or the arboretum which are all nice loops. Last year I tried to get out for 3 laps of HP at lunch at least twice per week. This year may be different.

Yeahhhhh...I'll give Hains Point another try. I tried to go back to the office a different way from how I went down, and it was a disaster. Gotta just stick with 15th Street and be happy.

americancyclo
01-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Yeahhhhh...I'll give Hains Point another try. I tried to go back to the office a different way from how I went down, and it was a disaster. Gotta just stick with 15th Street and be happy.

Are all your rides manual entry?!

BetGrrl
01-14-2016, 06:32 AM
Are all your rides manual entry?!

Back and forth to the office, yes, because it's only 2 miles one way and 2.2 the other, and it takes my GPS 15-25 minutes sometimes to find Mama Satellite. I just don't have time for that. :( But any time I do a ride beyond my daily commute, I'll wait for the satellite to find me. Like trips to Hains Point.

americancyclo
01-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Back and forth to the office, yes, because it's only 2 miles one way and 2.2 the other, and it takes my GPS 15-25 minutes sometimes to find Mama Satellite. I just don't have time for that. :( But any time I do a ride beyond my daily commute, I'll wait for the satellite to find me. Like trips to Hains Point.
15-25 min is crazy! I was going to offer you an old android phone to borrow if you had to them all manually. If it holds a charge, I'll let you know!

BetGrrl
01-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Hey Shawn, thank you, I appreciate it! Don't go through too much trouble, though. I'm really impatient with technology, and it was such a learning curve to download my Soleus software onto my husband's Mac that I'm hesitant to make any changes at this point. I have time to wait for the satellite to kick in before my weekend rides...:p

lordofthemark
01-14-2016, 07:53 PM
So are people still up to meet at New District this weekend? I suggest late Saturday afternoon or early evening. What works for everyone else?

msalemme
01-14-2016, 09:10 PM
I could possibly meet at New District on Saturday afternoon. I'm planning on doing the Port City Pedals & Pints ride which is open to everyone:

https://www.facebook.com/events/188005448214168/

Is two breweries in one day too many?

lordofthemark
01-14-2016, 09:20 PM
I could possibly meet at New District on Saturday afternoon. I'm planning on doing the Port City Pedals & Pints ride which is open to everyone:

You can really catch up on Beerneuring that way :) Looks like I will not be able to make Port City so enjoy.

Kitty
01-15-2016, 08:30 AM
I regret that the combination of attending the Transportation Research Board Conference, and family obligations has prevented me from riding today. I hope to at least get in sleaze rides in the next couple of days.

Hey, if it makes you guys feel any better, I'm only about 2.5 miles from work, and 1.3 miles to church (my regular "commutes"), which most folks seem to deem "sleaze rides." :cool: I'm going to go for constancy.

lordofthemark
01-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Hey, if it makes you guys feel any better, I'm only about 2.5 miles from work, and 1.3 miles to church (my regular "commutes"), which most folks seem to deem "sleaze rides." :cool: I'm going to go for constancy.

I believe in Freezing Saddles official lingo, once you have ridden more than 2 miles on one day, that is no longer a sleaze. There are prizes for the most sleaze rides, so yes, someone actually defined that.

lordofthemark
01-15-2016, 09:34 AM
So can we say New District, 4PM? I will wear my green freezing saddles wrist bands.

kjdtarheel
01-15-2016, 10:32 AM
I believe in Freezing Saddles official lingo, once you have ridden more than 2 miles on one day, that is no longer a sleaze. There are prizes for the most sleaze rides, so yes, someone actually defined that.

Good info on that. I was wondering what the floor is for a sleaze ride. Not that I'm going to take advantage. If I'm getting all kitted up, the ride's going to mean something.

kjdtarheel
01-15-2016, 10:35 AM
So can we say New District, 4PM? I will wear my green freezing saddles wrist bands.

Sorry to miss out on this, but I'll be out of town. Looking forward to meeting everyone next time.

Two questions: How can I get my hands on a FS wrist band? And, I'm switching from a 12-27 to an 11-25 cassette, what should I expect?

BetGrrl
01-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Sorry to miss out on this, but I'll be out of town. Looking forward to meeting everyone next time.

Two questions: How can I get my hands on a FS wrist band? And, I'm switching from a 12-27 to an 11-25 cassette, what should I expect?

I'm going to be out of town, too, but I'll keep an eye out for upcoming plans!

Kevin, Steve O was selling the green wrist bands, and as of his last post, he still had a few left:

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9685-Freezing-Saddles-Reflective-Neon-Green-Bands-Get-em-while-they-re-hot

Kitty
01-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Hey! Thanks for the heads up on Pedals and Pints! Usually I have an engagement on the 3rd Saturday of the month so I wrote it off as a "would be nice but can't" sort of thing. However, this weekend I'm free so I'm going to be there!

I'll have my BAFS band around my handlebar stem (silver Trek with Christmas lights). Give a wave if you see me!

As for New District, I'm afraid I can't do two breweries in a day (this time of year anyway). I need to head home eventually. ;) Next time though!

Steve O
01-16-2016, 10:12 AM

Not only defined, but they are being tracked on the www.freezingsaddles.com web site. There is currently a 4-way tie for first.

kcb203
01-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Kicking myself for leaving my mountain bike in Richmond at the in-laws after Christmas. I rarely ride it up here anyway and didn't have room in or on top of the car. And I can't put studded tires on my cross bike because they're tubular wheels. I need to buy a cheap set of disc clincher wheels for the cross bike for versatility.

Kitty
01-23-2016, 01:58 PM
First of all, Joan is amazing! She is the Team 19 rep on the roads today!

I wanted to apologize to the team, I'm making a conscious decision to take the day off today. Rosslyn is a mess, and after falling as many times as I did on Wednesday's ice, I had to promise folks I would take a break today. I was hoping other teams would do the same, but apparently not... :(

msalemme
01-23-2016, 05:07 PM
I know I should not have been surprised, but over 70 people in Freezing Saddles have ridden today! Including Dirt & Joan who are both awe-inspiring. Apologies to the team, but I can't ride today. I'm trapped here in suburbia, not a snowplow in sight.

lordofthemark
02-06-2016, 01:21 PM
What a fun ride folks, glad to see you, and to meet the folks I had not yet met.

msalemme
02-06-2016, 01:41 PM
It was fun riding with some of our team members today. Let's do that again! Here's a picture of Joan as we approached the 14th St bridge.

ginacico
02-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Hey, Nineteens!

I feel spring coming, and I hope you're all finding time and good excuses to ride your bikes.

As I mentioned early on, I used the Arlington Visual Arts Bike Tour (http://www.bikearlington.com/tasks/sites/bike/assets/file/tours/art_tour10-2010.pdf) as a motivator to get me out during Freezing Saddles. All the sites are within 6-7 miles of my house, in some cool neighborhoods with lots of great coffee shops. One of my favorite things about riding a bike is exploring my community at the ground level. And especially if I'm riding by myself, I prefer having some destination than just riding aimlessly around in circles.

Today I knocked off the last of the sites on the tour. It would be possible to see them all in one out-and-back ride... unless you're finding them for the first time, then it takes quite a bit of meandering and exploring. A few I had to visit a couple times, because the art was inside a locked building, or I just didn't find it the first time. And to prove I actually visited them all, I took pictures of Vaya next to all of them. Here's my Instagram feed (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/arlingtonarttour/) #ArlingtonArtTour.

Here's one of my favorites, called Liquid Pixels (VIDEO) (https://pasadenagina.smugmug.com/Around-Town/Arlington-Art/i-Xvt47Bs/A), on the side of 1801 North Lynn Street in Rosslyn. There are many, many more art installations in the area that aren't documented on this tour -- maybe it needs an update!

kjdtarheel
02-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Sorry it's taken me so long to get this posted. It was a good ride, looking forward to the next one. This is kind of a small version, let me know if you'd like me to email you the larger one. 11107

Kitty
03-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Hey everyone, I have some bad news (as far as BAFS points go). It looks like I'll be heading off to Asia next week for for a work trip, so that's a number of riding days I'll be missing out on.

That said, I've put a lot of thought into this, and I'm going to see what I can do about bike rental in Singapore and Tokyo, and I may be able to make the timezone thing workout for us. A morning and an afternoon ride in either place would straddle our day/night divide.

I'm yet to see what Strava will do overseas, but looking forward to finding out!

Interestingly enough, it looks like Tokyo recently installed a bike-share system. I was excited about that for a second... before I discovered that they are all e-bikes and therefore not helpful. :mad:

DismalScientist
03-02-2016, 09:14 AM
I believe the poobahs-in-chief said e-bikes are OK, particularly if the electric motor runs in reverse.

americancyclo
03-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Hey everyone, I have some bad news (as far as BAFS points go). It looks like I'll be heading off to Asia next week for for a work trip, so that's a number of riding days I'll be missing out on.

That said, I've put a lot of thought into this, and I'm going to see what I can do about bike rental in Singapore and Tokyo, and I may be able to make the timezone thing workout for us. A morning and an afternoon ride in either place would straddle our day/night divide.

I'm yet to see what Strava will do overseas, but looking forward to finding out!

Interestingly enough, it looks like Tokyo recently installed a bike-share system. I was excited about that for a second... before I discovered that they are all e-bikes and therefore not helpful. :mad:

Both those places show up on the Strava heatmaps, so as long as you have a phone with GPS or a dedicated GPS device it should work just fine!

Tokyo: http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#12/-220.27004/35.67222/blue/bike

Singapore: http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#11/-256.25198/1.33712/blue/bike

Steve O
03-02-2016, 10:22 AM

When I used my phone in another time zone, and it was the next day here in DC but still the previous day there, it still assigned my ride to the previous day (local time). However, when I use my Garmin, it uses DC time zone (I think).

Two BAFS's ago, one of our fellow riders was around the world and actually had ridden 1 MORE day than was possible because his ride was assigned to tomorrow before it was tomorrow yet. So be aware.

sjclaeys
03-02-2016, 01:31 PM

What a coincidence! I will be in Tokyo next Monday and Tuesday and Singapore next Friday. I know that Singapore does not have a bike share system. Unfortunately, my schedule is not conducive to finding a bike and riding during the trip. I was hoping that it would be pushed off after FS, but no luck.

Kitty
03-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Both those places show up on the Strava heatmaps, so as long as you have a phone with GPS or a dedicated GPS device it should work just fine!

That is SOOO helpful! I'm going to use that to chart my course since the "Bicycling" overlay for Google Maps isn't available for that.

When I used my phone in another time zone, and it was the next day here in DC but still the previous day there, it still assigned my ride to the previous day (local time). However, when I use my Garmin, it uses DC time zone (I think).

Good to know! I've looked into how to adjust Strava entries for time in case it gets funky. Hopefully no one will fault me for aligning it to DC time for BAFS purposes

What a coincidence! I will be in Tokyo next Monday and Tuesday and Singapore next Friday. I know that Singapore does not have a bike share system. Unfortunately, my schedule is not conducive to finding a bike and riding during the trip. I was hoping that it would be pushed off after FS, but no luck.

That is nuts! What a weird coincidence. Well I'll be (hopefully) riding around free on Thursday in Singapore if you want to grab a drink for some Sing-style Beerauneering. (Though Tiger does not really count as beer...)

lordofthemark
03-04-2016, 07:29 PM
I will be riding up the W&OD tomorrow, probably stopping shortly afternoon at one of the breweries along the way . Will probably check in here to see if any teammates want to join.

msalemme
03-04-2016, 07:39 PM
I'm doing the Port City Brewing Company ride tomorrow...leaving from the brewery at 10am and riding to Mt Vernon (about 30 miles) https://www.facebook.com/events/954387384635511/

Kitty
03-05-2016, 05:31 AM
Have fun with the beerneuring guys! I'd love to join but my little brother is visiting and lacks the requisite number of birthdays to take to a brewry. That said, I'll be getting my ride in while the kid's still asleep. ;)

sjclaeys
03-05-2016, 08:51 AM
That is SOOO helpful! I'm going to use that to chart my course since the "Bicycling" overlay for Google Maps isn't available for that.

Good to know! I've looked into how to adjust Strava entries for time in case it gets funky. Hopefully no one will fault me for aligning it to DC time for BAFS purposes

That is nuts! What a weird coincidence. Well I'll be (hopefully) riding around free on Thursday in Singapore if you want to grab a drink for some Sing-style Beerauneering. (Though Tiger does not really count as beer...)

I get to Singapore early evening Thursday. If you want good beer, go to Brewerks.