PDA

View Full Version : BASF Team 16

Rod Smith
01-07-2016, 11:38 PM
If you're assigned to team #16 please join our club https://www.strava.com/clubs/175408

It looks like we have a good team. Although I don't know most of you. Feel free to introduce yourself. Anyone have an idea for a team name? Can we have team rides? What are your riding plans for the weekend? It might not rain Saturday. Late Sunday looks OK. I'll ride in the rain if anyone wants to but I don't really like riding in the rain. :( Let's play it by ear...

Rod Smith
01-07-2016, 11:45 PM
Or BAFS if you prefer.

KelOnWheels
01-08-2016, 02:49 AM
Hi team! :D (Wow, SO MANY TEAMS this year!)

ejwillis62
01-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Hello Team, LIZ W here (ejwillis62) I have had a cold but plan on getting on my bike this weekend to officially start my new year. I hope to help the team and to drink a lot of beer and such stuff while we are all riding and freezing this winter. Not a fan of the cold but love my bike so we do what we have to do. Can't wait to meet all of you. I recognize some of the names. Look for me out riding. Most times I have a Mount Vernon Trail Patrol vest on. Blue helmet

ramblingrider
01-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Hey there! My name is Lisa, aka ramblingrider. This is my 2nd year playing this reindeer game. I'm mostly a commuter, but I am not opposed to biking for food, drinks, etc. I apologize in advance that there will be two weeks in March where I'll be MIA for 2 work conferences-- I will try my best to get some riding in then, but I can't promise.

My weekends are kind of crazy this month, too, but I could possibly go on a ride next Saturday, Jan. 16. I am ridiculously slow, though, so you may want to think twice before asking me on a ride. :p

"Sweet Sixteen" seems like the obvious choice for a group name, but I was also thinking we could incorporate the year into it somehow, as it's also 16. "2016's Sixteen"? I don't know-- just throwing ideas out there.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

aeagle23
01-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I like Sweet 16 for the team name - can we dress as high schoolers at all freezing saddles events?!

I'll be on a CaBi/folding bikes this weekend while I get a new tire on my bike (will be ready on the 13th!). Happy to participate in a group ride but I will be sloooow!

davidq
01-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Hey teammates, sorry not able attending HH to meet everyone earlier. But I am ready for group meetup.

I am pretty flexible for riding distance, place, speed etc but most my riding will happen on weekend due to long commute work.

Looking forward to see everyone in our first group meet.

vvill
01-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Hi folks,

I'm Will, and looking forward to meeting/riding with you guys. This is my fourth (!) winter in a row playing this game. I'm fairly active on Strav' but not doing a ton of miles this time around as I no longer have a commute to work. I will attempt to ride every day at least and also award a pointless prize or two (TBA once team clubs are in the scoreboard).

I also like the team name/avatar we have that Rod set up, and incorporating "2016" into it would be even better. Thanks captain!

shardg
01-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone, Steve H here (Strava=steveH) Forum= shardg. I live in Lake Ridge down in Prince William County off 95. This is my first year doing FS and 3rd year riding road bikes. I used to belong to the NOVA Casual Bike Group and may have ridden with some of you? I know that is where I met Rod. I now ride mostly in PWCO with a PW meetup group or Bike Manassas.
I will travel to ride and did the New Years HP ride and the HP100 and the Cider Ride this year.
Looking forward to meeting everyone and trying to keep up with the commuting crowd for miles.

Ride On!

vvill
01-09-2016, 09:59 AM
I like Sweet 16 for the team name - can we dress as high schoolers at all freezing saddles events?!

I'll be on a CaBi/folding bikes this weekend while I get a new tire on my bike (will be ready on the 13th!). Happy to participate in a group ride but I will be sloooow!

Don't forget to join the Strava Club (linked by Rod in the first post) to have your scores show up on the site (freezingsaddles.com).

Also, we're still looking for Irish_gorilla, powellal and rj1754 to complete our team.

whunke
01-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Hi I'm Billy (whunke) and this is my first year around doing this competition. I wasn't even aware of it until about April last year. I've generally done most of my riding when it's warmer, so I'll rely on you all to yell at me if I'm slacking.

I have some weekends where I will have busy days, but in general I should be able to ride any distance, any pace, and from any starting point. I have a couple different types of bikes too in case people wanted to do any sort of non-paved trails. Looking forward to meeting some new cyclists!

davidq
01-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Don't forget to join the Strava Club (linked by Rod in the first post) to have your scores show up on the site (freezingsaddles.com).

Also, we're still looking for Irish_gorilla, powellal and rj1754 to complete our team.

I think each team has 13 members, I guess kelonwheels is also not join Strava Club yet.

davidq
01-09-2016, 06:08 PM
I think each team has 13 members, I guess kelonwheels is also not join Strava Club yet.

Sorry Kel, my bad. Didn't notice kelonwheels=KelOnWheels :(

Rod Smith
01-09-2016, 06:45 PM

Welcome! Slow is fine. Let me know if you need to borrow a tire, we can get you rolling! You don't have to wait four days! Don't forget to join our Strava club! https://www.strava.com/clubs/175408

cvcalhoun
01-10-2016, 04:01 AM

If you send me a PM with the forum names of those still missing, I can get you the real name, e-mail, and Strava link for each of them.

Rod Smith
01-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Irish Gorilla is in. powellal has been PMed, rj1754 does not appear to be a member of this forum.

Rod Smith
01-10-2016, 08:59 AM
How about "Team 16 - Sweet and Salty"
or "Team 16 - 2016's 16"
or "Team 16 - The Sweet 13"
or "Team 16 - The Sweet Sixteen"
or "Team 16 - BAFS 16"

Vote now for one of these or any other that you come up with.

ramblingrider
01-10-2016, 09:15 AM
How about "Team 16 - Sweet and Salty"
or "Team 16 - 2016's 16"
or "Team 16 - The Sweet 13"
or "Team 16 - The Sweet Sixteen"
or "Team 16 - BAFS 16"

Vote now for one of these or any other that you come up with.
I really like "Team 16- Sweet and Salty."

shardg
01-10-2016, 04:20 PM
I do not have a preference, although sweet 13 would probably be confusing with the team 13.
So, I give my vote to the Captain ( brown nosing)

Steve

Rod Smith
01-10-2016, 05:28 PM
I found rj1754! I think the missing members are aeagle23 and powellal.

powellal
01-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Andrea here. Just returning from two weeks caring for my mom who just turned 85 on January 4. Also, recovering from a cold, but eager to ride. So far I know Elizabeth Willis and Rod. Glad to meet everyone.

Rod Smith
01-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I was hoping it was you, Ms. Powell! Join the Strava club and post your miles! https://www.strava.com/clubs/175408

So I've already ridden with eight of you! Looking forward to meeting the rest of the team. :)

ramblingrider
01-11-2016, 09:14 AM
I really like "Team 16- Sweet and Salty."

Although I see that Team 14 is already on the board with the name "Salty Dogs." So I'd vote for "Team 16 - The Sweet Sixteen" or "Team 16 - 2016's 16" or even "Team 16 - 2016's Sweet Sixteen."

Raymo853
01-12-2016, 07:33 AM
I like the sweet sixteen lines of names.

Sorry but I am not going to be the most productive member this Jan and Feb. I am moving soon and getting ready for that is cutting into my riding time.

davidq
01-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Are you guys interested to do a happy hour, group ride or something you would like to do to cheer up all team members on board now :)

Rod Smith
01-13-2016, 08:18 AM
Anyone for mountain biking? Sixteener Ray is leading a ride in Fort Dupont Saturday at 10. http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9639-Sat-Dec-19th-Group-MTB-CX-Ride-in-Fort-Dupont Terrain difficulty is intermediate, casual to moderate pace. I'm planning on that for Saturday. How about an easy team ride Sunday possibly with beerneuring?

ramblingrider
01-13-2016, 08:39 AM
Anyone for mountain biking? Sixteener Ray is leading a ride in Fort Dupont Saturday at 10. http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9639-Sat-Dec-19th-Group-MTB-CX-Ride-in-Fort-Dupont Terrain difficulty is intermediate, casual to moderate pace. I'm planning on that for Saturday. How about an easy team ride Sunday possibly with beerneuring?

I'll say a tentative yes to Sunday. I may have a rehearsal Sunday afternoon starting at 5 pm, and am waiting to hear back.

Raymo853
01-13-2016, 09:58 AM

Oh man I am not running it this week, I am headed to Pittsburgh. Let me check this and that, but I will commit to the 23rd and/or 30th.

rj1754
01-13-2016, 01:26 PM
Hi All! Finally, I am able to post and to introduce myself! I am Randi. I love to ride but am not a speed demon. This is my first foray into Freezing Saddles, and am already smitten with the concept and the winter riding.i had broken my wrist in late June , cutting my season short. Unfortunately, I broke my thumb after healing up the wrist, but will do the minimum whenever I can! I look forward to meeting all of you! Ps Yay Andrea...we are on the same team!

rj1754
01-13-2016, 01:30 PM
I can't ride , but would be up for the beerneuring part!

vvill
01-13-2016, 03:03 PM

Make sure you join the Strava club and log in to freezingsaddles.com - there is a deadline set for tomorrow!

Steve O
01-13-2016, 04:34 PM
I can't ride , but would be up for the beerneuring part!
By definition, beerneuring requires a bike ride. Beer drinking does not.

Rod Smith
01-13-2016, 05:44 PM
Make sure you join the Strava club and log in to freezingsaddles.com - there is a deadline set for tomorrow!

We're all signed up! :)

Rod Smith
01-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Oh man I am not running it this week, I am headed to Pittsburgh. Let me check this and that, but I will commit to the 23rd and/or 30th.

Safe travels. We might just ride it anyway. :p Remember when that gravel ride got cancelled due to lack of interest? Turned out to be one of my five favorite rides of 2015!

rj1754
01-13-2016, 08:12 PM
Fine.. But a broken thumb precludes anything over a mile for right now! Enjoy!

vvill
01-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Fine.. But a broken thumb precludes anything over a mile for right now! Enjoy!

You mean... under a mile right? :) 1.00 miles is just fine.

shardg
01-13-2016, 09:06 PM

I do not ride, or own, a mtb anymore, but I am up for a ride on Sunday should we have a few others wanting to go.

KelOnWheels
01-14-2016, 03:02 AM
Hey, how'd the team get named after me? :D

ramblingrider
01-14-2016, 09:03 AM
I think it was because of the sheet music cover you posted. I kind of like the name!

whunke
01-14-2016, 09:32 AM

I have plans at noon Saturday, so I have to squeeze in an earlier ride. I'd be down for mountain biking another time though.

I CAN do a Sunday ride/beerneuring though. Any idea what time time/distance/breweries? I'm considering doing the Bikenetic ride at 8 am Sunday as well. If timing works out then I may do both. If not, then I'll join up for whatever ride everyone here agrees on. Let me know!

vvill
01-14-2016, 02:03 PM
I'll probably ride Sunday AM but can't hang all day. I may do the Bikenetic shop ride depending on what it is.

As boring as it is, a Hains Point meet-up/ride may be the best option for getting everyone together given we have a mix of DC-MD-VA-OR* folks. Also an easy place for everyone to ride together for some time (or we can even split into two riding groups for a lap or two).

* almost forgot Kel

rj1754
01-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Bad News- teammates. Saw orthopedist today who gave me a huge lecture on what could happen if I keep riding while trying to heal my thumb. It's just not worth having another surgery, si I won't be doing anymore sleaze rides until mid- Feb. if you can replace me, Rod, it won't hurt my feelings. I am bummed!!!!!

vvill
01-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Bad News- teammates. Saw orthopedist today who gave me a huge lecture on what could happen if I keep riding while trying to heal my thumb. It's just not worth having another surgery, si I won't be doing anymore sleaze rides until mid- Feb. if you can replace me, Rod, it won't hurt my feelings. I am bummed!!!!!

Smart decision. Heal up!

Rod Smith
01-14-2016, 06:36 PM

I made everyone an administrator and apparently someone grown tired of the endless rancorous debate over our team's name went ahead and changed it! Why your name? Probably because you're so cool or because you came up with the sweet sixteen idea. I hated that idea, but I'll leave the name as it is. :)

vvill
01-14-2016, 08:43 PM
I made everyone an administrator and apparently someone grown tired of the endless rancorous debate over our team's name went ahead and changed it! Why your name? Probably because you're so cool or because you came up with the sweet sixteen idea. I hated that idea, but I'll leave the name as it is. :)

I really don't care that much about the team name, but if you hate it - feel free to change it!

davidq
01-14-2016, 11:15 PM
I don't have Mountain Bike either so won't able ride on gravel. Looks like most of us has some free time on Sunday so I may try Bikenetic shop ride (start at 8:00 at the bike shop?). Hopefully all team members can meet at some place for a lunch? Don't know where is the best place to meet but whatever you guys decide is fine to me.

ramblingrider
01-15-2016, 07:19 AM
I'll say a tentative yes to Sunday. I may have a rehearsal Sunday afternoon starting at 5 pm, and am waiting to hear back.
I can't do Sunday- my rehearsal actually starts at 2, and it's at my place, so I have to get the house in order. I might try to get a ride in on Saturday.

Rod Smith
01-15-2016, 07:24 AM
I really don't care that much about the team name, but if you hate it - feel free to change it!
Nah, I like it. Is there a Bikenetic ride Sunday?

powellal
01-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Hi All! Finally, I am able to post and to introduce myself! I am Randi. I love to ride but am not a speed demon. This is my first foray into Freezing Saddles, and am already smitten with the concept and the winter riding.i had broken my wrist in late June , cutting my season short. Unfortunately, I broke my thumb after healing up the wrist, but will do the minimum whenever I can! I look forward to meeting all of you! Ps Yay Andrea...we are on the same team!

Yes Randi, after I did my late introduction, I finally figured out we are on the same team. Great news! Take care of that thumb. Will see you soon even if not on the bike. Andi

Rod Smith
01-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Oops. Sunday I have a family obligation at 12:30. I could maybe squeeze a coffeeneuring ride in before that. Saturday I am free to ride if anyone wishes to join me. Suggestion meet Hanes Point, easy no-drop ride either Anacostia trails, 19 miles, flat http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11817136 or Capital Crescent to Rock Creek, 30 miles, hillier. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11817726 If shouldn't be too cold (above freezing) but windy. The river route will be windier than the rail trail/ creek. We'll take it easy, see how it goes. Oh and figure out a brewpub somewhere near the finish? http://www.washingtonian.com/2016/01/12/70-breweries-around-washington-heres-map/

Friends, or enemies (members of other teams) are welcome!

Don't be afraid you won't be fast enough. This is aimed at getting our less aggressive riders out for a ride!

vvill
01-15-2016, 09:02 AM
Nah, I like it. Is there a Bikenetic ride Sunday?

There almost always is, but it's sometimes not announced until Saturday. Only thing is it's not always paved (sometimes it's a gravel loop in Fairfax County).

It's always back at the shop by around 11:30am though.

whunke
01-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Oops. Sunday I have a family obligation at 12:30. I could maybe squeeze a coffeeneuring ride in before that. Saturday I am free to ride if anyone wishes to join me. Suggestion meet Hanes Point, easy no-drop ride either Anacostia trails, 19 miles, flat http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11817136 or Capital Crescent to Rock Creek, 30 miles, hillier. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11817726 If shouldn't be too cold (above freezing) but windy. The river route will be windier than the rail trail/ creek. We'll take it easy, see how it goes. Oh and figure out a brewpub somewhere near the finish? http://www.washingtonian.com/2016/01/12/70-breweries-around-washington-heres-map/

Friends, or enemies (members of other teams) are welcome!

Don't be afraid you won't be fast enough. This is aimed at getting our less aggressive riders out for a ride!

I'm in for either one of those if most everyone else is also interested. Just name a time and the actual meet up spot at Hains Point and I'll be there!

Rod Smith
01-15-2016, 05:22 PM
I can't make Sunday, I was suggesting a ride on Saturday.

shardg
01-15-2016, 07:44 PM
I had already committed to a ride on Saturday, please let me know if anyone plans to ride on Sunday, any speed or distance is ok, even laps at Haines Point.

Steve

whunke
01-15-2016, 08:11 PM
I can't make Sunday, I was suggesting a ride on Saturday.

Ah sorry - I misread. I have to be done by 11 tomorrow, so I'll likely be riding early since I have a limited window. If you all end up organizing something at Hains Point, I might be able to swing through and at least say hello.

For anyone riding on Sunday who doesn't already have plans, I'll probably do the Bikenetic group ride. I haven't done it yet, but apparently they usually announce the route on Saturday. I did hear there's a chance that it could be on gravel and not roads though, though I'm hoping it will be a road ride.

davidq
01-15-2016, 08:24 PM
Ah sorry - I misread. I have to be done by 11 tomorrow, so I'll likely be riding early since I have a limited window. If you all end up organizing something at Hains Point, I might be able to swing through and at least say hello.

For anyone riding on Sunday who doesn't already have plans, I'll probably do the Bikenetic group ride. I haven't done it yet, but apparently they usually announce the route on Saturday. I did hear there's a chance that it could be on gravel and not roads though, though I'm hoping it will be a road ride.

If nothing change, I may do this one too. Where they announce the ride? Do you need register or just show up?

whunke
01-15-2016, 08:30 PM
If nothing change, I may do this one too. Where they announce the ride? Do you need register or just show up?

I don't think you need to sign up, but I guess you can reply to their Facebook invite assuming they release one tomorrow. I'll try and check the page for updates tomorrow and post here if I see them put out any more information.

https://www.facebook.com/bikenetic/?fref=ts

davidq
01-15-2016, 08:39 PM
I had already committed to a ride on Saturday, please let me know if anyone plans to ride on Sunday, any speed or distance is ok, even laps at Haines Point.

Steve

Do you like to do Bikenetic Ride on Sunday if there is the ride?

Rod Smith
01-16-2016, 08:10 AM
I'm afraid I might get dropped but I can try.

shardg
01-16-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm afraid I might get dropped but I can try.

I am in same boat, I know I can not keep the pace. Which shows my earlier post of any speed or distance was false. I can not hang with Rod and several of you others for distance nor the Bikenetic group ( and several of you) for speed. I was thinking more along the lines of our team's less aggressive riders and actually thinking a slower pace so everyone could join in.
We have plenty of time to get a team ride going, so no worries.

whunke
01-16-2016, 11:15 AM
I am in same boat, I know I can not keep the pace. Which shows my earlier post of any speed or distance was false. I can not hang with Rod and several of you others for distance nor the Bikenetic group ( and several of you) for speed. I was thinking more along the lines of our team's less aggressive riders and actually thinking a slower pace so everyone could join in.
We have plenty of time to get a team ride going, so no worries.

Well it looks like the shop isn't organizing a ride this weekend, so it's a moot point anyway. I have heard it's supposed to be casually paced, but I could see how the distance might be an issue. I only suggested it since most peoples' plans seemed up in the air this weekend.

Anyway if one or more of you have a ride you want to do tomorrow morning or just want to squeeze a coffeeneuring ride in, I'm down!

shardg
01-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Well it looks like the shop isn't organizing a ride this weekend, so it's a moot point anyway. I have heard it's supposed to be casually paced, but I could see how the distance might be an issue. I only suggested it since most peoples' plans seemed up in the air this weekend.

Anyway if one or more of you have a ride you want to do tomorrow morning or just want to squeeze a coffeeneuring ride in, I'm down!

Ok, I may be mistaking Bike shop rides, but like you said it is moot. I will keep tomorrow open to see what develops. The Team is leading in HP laps so perhaps we build on that? I know you did some today so it may not interest you as much.

vvill
01-16-2016, 01:40 PM
Yeah I saw there's no shop ride this week. With different pacing, distance, etc. maybe HP is the best bet. And leading HP laps is always a bonus!

ejwillis62
01-16-2016, 04:05 PM
i am over being sick and went out for a short ride today, felt great. Lets see how many miles I can log this week. Looks like it is going to be a cold one. :)

Rod Smith
01-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Hanes Point at 9am? Meet at CaBi station near the tennis courts.

kwarkentien
01-16-2016, 05:04 PM
I may crash your party to do some deep cover research on the competition.

whunke
01-16-2016, 05:05 PM

Works for me! See you and anyone else who can join at 9 tomorrow.

shardg
01-16-2016, 06:15 PM

I plan to be there as well.

davidq
01-16-2016, 06:16 PM

I will be there.

davidq
01-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Steve O has sent me two new Freezing Saddle Bands because I didn't receive the original bands he sent out two weeks ago. But today the original mail finally showed up. Thanks for his generous, I will give them to whoever needed at tomorrow meet up.

Bob James
01-16-2016, 11:00 PM
I plan on crashing the party at HP tomorrow too, if that's all right for someone from Team 11. It will be a little chilly for the morning, but looks like low wind.

powellal
01-16-2016, 11:23 PM
I may crash your party to do some deep cover research on the competition.

A ha!

Maybe see you in the am.

Andi

Rod Smith
01-17-2016, 07:42 AM
Think snow!

Bob James
01-17-2016, 07:48 AM
I'll have to bring my heavy bike and go slower. It's really a gravel grinder, not a snowmobile so hopefully it will do the job without me falling.

Think snow!

Rod Smith
01-17-2016, 02:13 PM
That was fun! What's up for tomorrow?

shardg
01-17-2016, 03:13 PM

i will be flying out to Sacramento for a 3 day work trip in the early afternoon, so count me out. i'll get a short ride in the morning in before I leave.

whunke
01-17-2016, 04:12 PM

That was fun! Unfortunately I'm working tomorrow so I won't have time to do any long rides. I'll take a look at the DC Randonneuring site though.

vvill
01-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Saw some of David's pics from the ride, looked good! I ended up riding enough on Saturday that I wasn't up for a 9am Sunday start, sorry to miss it.

That was fun! Unfortunately I'm working tomorrow so I won't have time to do any long rides. I'll take a look at the DC Randonneuring site though.

The Glen Echo populaire is on Saturday. Shortest DC rando ride of the year (64 miles or so), maybe some of us would be interested?
http://dcrand.org/dcr/calendar.php

Weather is looking a bit iffy though
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/01/17/potential-for-major-winter-storm-late-next-week-but-also-major-question-marks/

davidq
01-17-2016, 10:13 PM
The Glen Echo populaire is on Saturday. Shortest DC rando ride of the year (64 miles or so), maybe some of us would be interested?
http://dcrand.org/dcr/calendar.php

Weather is looking a bit iffy though
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/01/17/potential-for-major-winter-storm-late-next-week-but-also-major-question-marks/

I like this route but I will not able to do this one due to work related support. If most of you guys interested this one, I will try to switch my support schedule with other co-worker to see if it is possible free me up.

vvill
01-18-2016, 08:34 AM
I like this route but I will not able to do this one due to work related support. If most of you guys interested this one, I will try to switch my support schedule with other co-worker to see if it is possible free me up.

No need for that! This is just a friendly game, and besides, it looks like the weather is going to be challenging.

ramblingrider
01-18-2016, 08:54 AM
I've done this route before- it's a nice ride. As the page says, you have to join RUSA first, but you can do that at the event. They also have their annual business meeting right after the ride, in case you were interested.

Rod Smith
01-19-2016, 06:21 AM
I'm planning to do the populaire Saturday. According to Bill Beck of DC Randonnuers "You do not need to be a member of RUSA or DCR to ride. But joining RUSA before the ride will allow the populaire to count toward future RUSA awards. It's easiest to join RUSA online at http://rusa.org/memberservices.html. You can join DCR either online or at the populaire/meeting."

Let's do it! Weather permitting. There is a chance it will get cancelled. One nice thing about the randonneés, you can go your own pace and usually can find similarly paced people to ride with or so I am told and it worked out that way for me on the one I did. Just so no one worries about getting dropped, I will "sweep" our team. In other words if I can keep up with him or her I will ride with the slowest paced of my Freezing Saddles teammates.

ramblingrider
01-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Weather forecast notwithstanding, I'm unfortunately not available this Saturday-- I have to host a function at my house. Have fun!

vvill
01-19-2016, 09:51 AM
One nice thing about the randonneés, you can go your own pace and usually can find similarly paced people to ride with or so I am told and it worked out that way for me on the one I did.

This is one reason I'm interested in doing a randonneé or two. And this populaire is short and close enough to DC to ride to and back, and not spend 12+ hrs of your day. The weather means I'm likely sitting it out though, if it's not cancelled.

Rod Smith
01-19-2016, 07:47 PM
Yeah, not looking good. :(

whunke
01-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Yeah, not looking good. :(

I would otherwise be in for the Saturday ride if it wasn't for the weather. Speaking of which, does anyone here generally ride in the snow? Do you think it would be possible to ride in the amount of snow we're supposed to get this weekend on a mountain or CX bike even if it doesn't have studded tires? Or do you really need a fat bike with the right kind of tires to maximize traction?

vvill
01-19-2016, 09:10 PM
I would otherwise be in for the Saturday ride if it wasn't for the weather. Speaking of which, does anyone here generally ride in the snow? Do you think it would be possible to ride in the amount of snow we're supposed to get this weekend on a mountain or CX bike even if it doesn't have studded tires? Or do you really need a fat bike with the right kind of tires to maximize traction?

I have a hardtail 29er with regular MTB tires, and a heavy beater 26" rigid with lots of studs. Between those I can generally squeeze in a sleaze ride at least, but if the total is ridiculous (like the 2009-10 storm, I think?) it may be more of a hike-a-bike which won't be fun for a mile. If you really don't want to miss a day, you can always log a ride at 12:01am before the snow gets too deep (I did that a few times a couple of years ago).

Studded tires are more for traction on ice, ruts, re-frozen snow, etc. - they don't help much on fresh snow. Deep powdery snow is impassable even with fat bikes, but I imagine they will make it easier on rideable snow.

edit: This is a pretty good read/primer on studded tires
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

whunke
01-19-2016, 10:13 PM
I have a hardtail 29er with regular MTB tires, and a heavy beater 26" rigid with lots of studs. Between those I can generally squeeze in a sleaze ride at least, but if the total is ridiculous (like the 2009-10 storm, I think?) it may be more of a hike-a-bike which won't be fun for a mile. If you really don't want to miss a day, you can always log a ride at 12:01am before the snow gets too deep (I did that a few times a couple of years ago).

Studded tires are more for traction on ice, ruts, re-frozen snow, etc. - they don't help much on fresh snow. Deep powdery snow is impassable even with fat bikes, but I imagine they will make it easier on rideable snow.

edit: This is a pretty good read/primer on studded tires
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Thanks for the info and the read. I'll probably try and time my rides as best I can to ensure I'm riding in the least amount of snow like you mentioned. Worst case I have to do the hike. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to pull off a mile!

Rod Smith
01-19-2016, 10:20 PM
I like to ride off-road in the snow if it's not too deep. I have 26 x 2.3 knobbies for snow, 26 x 1.5 studded for ice.

Be careful! Avoid hazardous conditions. No injuries please!

Thanks everyone for riding today. It was cold!

Rod Smith
01-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Oops
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr147/Rod_Smith/bike/DSC00881.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/Rod_Smith/media/bike/DSC00881.jpg.html)

Raymo853
01-20-2016, 12:28 PM
My experience has shown that CX tires are much better than normal width MTB tires in dry/fluffy snow. How/why? The CX tire cuts down further into the snow and can grip the ground and/or more firm and damp snow near the ground. If you look at a fresh profile of deep dry/fluffy snow, the bottom layers usually are wetter due to the soil heating the bottom of the pile. A normal MTB tire, say a 2.25", floats too much on the snow but not enough like a fat bike can.

davidq
01-23-2016, 08:20 PM
I can't believe my eyes, more than half team members went outside today and I wish I could double kudos to all of you. Our community is not plowed and even I am willing to walk about half mile of my bike to closest outside road, based on past experience the ride is impassable for my road bike. Most likely tomorrow I won't able to ride either and hopefully the road can get plowed on Monday.

Ride safe and have fun!

vvill
01-23-2016, 08:34 PM
I can't believe my eyes, more than half team members went outside today and I wish I could double kudos to all of you. Our community is not plowed and even I am willing to walk about half mile of my bike to closest outside road, based on past experience the ride is impassable for my road bike. Most likely tomorrow I won't able to ride either and hopefully the road can get plowed on Monday.

Stay safe. The roads I saw were definitely not rideable on a road bike, and some major roads were barely passable on my MTB with studded tires. I considered myself lucky to be able to get out, as I saw many streets the same size or bigger than mine that looked as if they hadn't been touched since last night.

Fortunately for our team, you can easily ride an extra 22 miles when the roads are clear again right? ;)

Rod Smith
01-23-2016, 09:05 PM

Ride safe and have fun!

I'm very lucky to live in a suburb that plows the hell out of our roads! Of course they are not plowed to the surface but close enough, rideable with a mountain bike. I know this is not possible for most people. The rideable roads end at the town line! Kudos to everyone who managed to score points today!

davidq
01-25-2016, 11:02 PM
I'm planning to do the populaire Saturday. According to Bill Beck of DC Randonnuers "You do not need to be a member of RUSA or DCR to ride. But joining RUSA before the ride will allow the populaire to count toward future RUSA awards. It's easiest to join RUSA online at http://rusa.org/memberservices.html. You can join DCR either online or at the populaire/meeting."

Let's do it! Weather permitting. There is a chance it will get cancelled. One nice thing about the randonneés, you can go your own pace and usually can find similarly paced people to ride with or so I am told and it worked out that way for me on the one I did. Just so no one worries about getting dropped, I will "sweep" our team. In other words if I can keep up with him or her I will ride with the slowest paced of my Freezing Saddles teammates.

Are you guy still interested in this ride (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6844446), which is rescheduled on Feb 6, 2016, 9:00 am. Registration is free and register open at 8:00 am but I encourage you pre-register to make organizer's life easier and no obligation you have to ride if you can't ride at start time.

vvill
01-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Are you guy still interested in this ride (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6844446), which is rescheduled on Feb 6, 2016, 9:00 am. Registration is free and register open at 8:00 am but I encourage you pre-register to make organizer's life easier and no obligation you have to ride if you can't ride at start time.

Interested, but I'm not sure if I can do it - I already committed to a ride the next day and I usually like to keep one weekend day open for family. I'll make the call closer to the date. Right now I am spending plenty of time with family inside the house...

Rod Smith
01-26-2016, 07:35 PM
La Populaire! Mais oui! Trčs bon! We can do this! #team16

whunke
01-27-2016, 06:10 PM

Unfortunately I'll be in Richmond that weekend, so I'm out. Are there any more of these rides before the end of Freezing Saddles? Even if there aren't, I'd still like to do some with you all anyway.

davidq
01-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately I'll be in Richmond that weekend, so I'm out. Are there any more of these rides before the end of Freezing Saddles? Even if there aren't, I'd still like to do some with you all anyway.

The next DCR organized event is on Mar. 19 and you need be a DCR member. Why we can't do by ourselves. If we have enough interested riders to do group ride, the distance, start place and start time are much flexible. Also we can route to regroup with those riders that don't want ride long and all can meet at a happy hour place. Other team riders can be invited too. Of course we can make sure their bikes can't be rode next day to force them take some break :)

whunke
01-30-2016, 09:22 PM
Late notice, but I'll probably be doing the Bikenetic store ride tomorrow morning in Falls Church if anyone is interested in joining. It starts at 8 am and is about 24-25 miles total with a 14-16 mph steady pace. Coffee at Cafe Kindred afterwards.

Rod Smith
01-31-2016, 03:07 AM
Thanks for letting us know, Billy! I can't make it but you might see vvill there.

davidq and I are riding a randonneé today. I would have invited you all but it is a little complicated, you must be a member of Randonneurs USA and you must request to do the ride, receive and submit application, then receive cue sheet and control card (to log arrival at check points along the way). RUSA membership is $25/year. I think it's worth joining especially if you want to do groups rides that are several hundred miles long. This one is only 200 kilometers. We're riding with Eric Williams who prepared for today's ride with a 300 kilometer randonneé yesterday. :roll eyes: Wish me luck!

ramblingrider
01-31-2016, 08:44 AM
Thanks for letting us know, Billy! I can't make it but you might see vvill there.

davidq and I are riding a randonneé today. I would have invited you all but it is a little complicated, you must be a member of Randonneurs USA and you must request to do the ride, receive and submit application, then receive cue sheet and control card (to log arrival at check points along the way). RUSA membership is $25/year. I think it's worth joining especially if you want to do groups rides that are several hundred miles long. This one is only 200 kilometers. We're riding with Eric Williams who prepared for today's ride with a 300 kilometer randonneé yesterday. :roll eyes: Wish me luck!
Bonne route, you guys!

whunke
01-31-2016, 03:49 PM

Haha yes I did see that "warm up" ride. No worries about the invite though - I'm not sure my legs would have functioned long enough for a 200 km today anyway. Good luck to you and David and hopefully see you at the next one!

whunke
01-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Haha yes I did see that "warm up" ride. No worries about the invite though - I'm not sure my legs would have functioned long enough for a 200 km today anyway. Good luck to you and David and hopefully see you at the next one!

Also I did register with RUSA. I'm out of town next weekend so I can't do that rescheduled ride, but hopefully I can jump in on the one in March.

vvill
02-01-2016, 02:06 PM

davidq and I are riding a randonneé today. I would have invited you all but it is a little complicated, you must be a member of Randonneurs USA and you must request to do the ride, receive and submit application, then receive cue sheet and control card (to log arrival at check points along the way). RUSA membership is $25/year.

Alas, I couldn't ride yesterday. Looked like a good ride (it always is, with that crew).

However, it's looking like I can get away for a full riding weekend so I may be in for Saturday's Glen Echo ride.

Also - great work on all the riding this week. We're within throwing (riding?) distance of the top 10! And I think only one other team has 3 or more riders with 1000+ points so far. I need to get some more miles in to do my part.

Rod Smith
02-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked! It was a lot of fun having a teammate along on a long ride and it's double points.

Eric Williams said "to be successful at Freezing Saddles, you need participation." We have some riders who have made an effort to ride every day and we have some who could probably try a little harder to enjoy winter cycling more often!

Sleaze rides. If you ride between one and two miles on any given days, you score 11 points! Notice our team's namesake is riding a 0.6mi commute each way everyday, despite a sore knee. She has more points than teammates with over twice as many miles! I'm pretty sure Kel coined the phase "sleaze ride" by the way! Please try to get a quick ride in everyday. Or a slow one. Team16 had two riders on the Slow Ride DC yesterday. There's a good chance we were the only team representing on that ride. Sweet!

If we can get 6 of us on the Glen Echo ride, that's 432 points! You don't need to join RUSA or DC Randonneurs to do the Glen Echo Populaire Saturday. It's a nice route. It's free. A little hilly but I think not too difficult for any of us. They request that you pre-register.

http://dcrand.org/blog/2016/01/18/2016-glen-echo-populaire-january-23rd-9am/

davidq
02-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Alas, I couldn't ride yesterday. Looked like a good ride (it always is, with that crew).

However, it's looking like I can get away for a full riding weekend so I may be in for Saturday's Glen Echo ride.

Also - great work on all the riding this week. We're within throwing (riding?) distance of the top 10! And I think only one other team has 3 or more riders with 1000+ points so far. I need to get some more miles in to do my part.

Sweet you can join the ride.

davidq
02-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked! It was a lot of fun having a teammate along on a long ride and it's double points.

Eric Williams said "to be successful at Freezing Saddles, you need participation." We have some riders who have made an effort to ride every day and we have some who could probably try a little harder to enjoy winter cycling more often!

Sleaze rides. If you ride between one and two miles on any given days, you score 11 points! Notice our team's namesake is riding a 0.6mi commute each way everyday, despite a sore knee. She has more points than teammates with over twice as many miles! I'm pretty sure Kel coined the phase "sleaze ride" by the way! Please try to get a quick ride in everyday. Or a slow one. Team16 had two riders on the Slow Ride DC yesterday. There's a good chance we were the only team representing on that ride. Sweet!

If we can get 6 of us on the Glen Echo ride, that's 432 points! You don't need to join RUSA or DC Randonneurs to do the Glen Echo Populaire Saturday. It's a nice route. It's free. A little hilly but I think not too difficult for any of us. They request that you pre-register.

http://dcrand.org/blog/2016/01/18/2016-glen-echo-populaire-january-23rd-9am/

That will be great if we have more teammates to join this ride.

A little bit correction.
1. The pre-registration already closed, but free registration will open at 8:00 am on Feb 6 and the ride will start at 9:00 sharp. In case you want get credit, you need finish before 16:00 and you can only start between 9:00 and 10:00. But let us know for whatever reason if you are kind late, we will see if can wait for you to do group ride and still finish on time.

2. The ride is 68 miles and finish in 7 hours should be done by all of us. Although the ride is more than 62 miles, but the last six miles are going down and flat which means each of us can easily contribute 6 extra miles for sweet sixteen ;)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6844446

vvill
02-02-2016, 08:47 AM
If I can make the ride I will be there well before 9am for registration and for the 9am departure. I'll likely be riding to/from the start/finish as it's not too far from where I live.

vvill
02-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Any thoughts on morning icy-ness? Especially before 9am. I can drive to the start too but would much rather not have to...

Forecast looks like <32F Friday night into Saturday but if there isn't much snow melt/rain run-off left by then it shouldn't matter too much.

shardg
02-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Any thoughts on morning icy-ness? Especially before 9am. I can drive to the start too but would much rather not have to...

Forecast looks like <32F Friday night into Saturday but if there isn't much snow melt/rain run-off left by then it shouldn't matter too much.

Sorry folks, I can not make the ride, it sounds like a good one.
Ride safe.

Rod Smith
02-05-2016, 05:12 AM
Sorry you can't make it, Steve. I think most of the snow is gone and I expect dry pavement for the most part. Of course if there is a freeze Friday night, the possibility of ice on the roads exists and caution is advised.

I will be riding from the Hyattsville area if anyone wants to ride in with me from this neck of the woods.

whunke
02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Good luck to everyone who can make the ride this weekend! I'll be riding with you all virtually from the Richmond area.

Raymo853
02-05-2016, 10:56 AM
I am signed up for this and now may be able to make it. I wish I had time to read the requirements, but may not. Does anyone know what they are? Anything beyond front & rear reflectors, redundant front and rear lights, and a reflective vest/belt, and reflective anklets?

vvill
02-05-2016, 11:07 AM
I am signed up for this and now may be able to make it. I wish I had time to read the requirements, but may not. Does anyone know what they are? Anything beyond front & rear reflectors, redundant front and rear lights, and a reflective vest/belt, and reflective anklets?

From my perusal of http://rusa.org/brvreg.html I think you just need a helmet, since it's not a night/low-light ride. Rod/David will probably have a definitive answer.

davidq
02-05-2016, 12:57 PM
From my perusal of http://rusa.org/brvreg.html I think you just need a helmet, since it's not a night/low-light ride. Rod/David will probably have a definitive answer.

I think Will is rright. I did last year and don't recall there is bike check before start. Usually if it is required, it will be mentioned at DCR ride description and this Populaire doesn't say so.

davidq
02-05-2016, 01:50 PM
Just get response from administrator Nick. (I have extra front light, a refective vest and a pair of freezing saddle band as ankle reflective band if you prefer have them on tomorrow ride, let me know)

On a cloudy/stormy/foggy day, lights and reflective gear are required. The rule isn't just that they are required between dusk and dawn, the rule is: "Lights must be turned on at all times during hours of darkness or other low-light conditions (rain, fog, etc.). ... During hours of darkness or other low-light conditions, all riders must wear a reflective vest or some other device that clearly places significant reflective material on the front and back of the rider."

See Article 10, here:
http://rusa.org/brvreg.html

And further info here:
http://dcrand.org/dcr/randoinfo.php?page=M05

You should be able to find lights and reflective vests & ankle bands at most bike stores.

While I realize this means spending some money if they don't have this stuff, it is money well-spent regardless: If they are bicycle riders enough to join us on a 100km, then it probably means that they're out there enough that it makes sense to get this gear for when they're not riding with us. The purpose of the rule is to make riders safe, and it doesn't matter whether they're riding with us or not, it makes sense to have the gear to comply with the rule.

Front lights can be a big-money item, but if all they need is front lights for the purpose of being visible rather than for lighting their way, then something fairly inexpensive may well be good enough. Though if you're descending in dense fog, you not only want to be able to see where you're going, you want cars to be able to see you coming so they don't make a turn in front of you.

Raymo853
02-05-2016, 03:46 PM
Thank you DavidQ. Unfortunately I cannot make it Saturday. I have to work most of the day.

Rod Smith
02-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Nice ride today with teammates Will and David. Some nice rides from Steve and Billy too. Thanks to everyone who rode today. I think we might move up in the standing. We have more miles than the two teams ahead of us.

whunke
02-08-2016, 09:01 AM
I saw the message that David sent out about the permanent next weekend. I'm in for it, but don't have any email addresses to coordinate.

Good job to everyone who rode (big and small) this past weekend! I would have ridden the Richmond Worlds course a few times, but was with a group who was out hiking at the same time and didn't want to make them stand around in the cold :-) Those cobbled climbs are everything they were hyped up to be though. The 23rd street climb is steep and Libby Hill was chained off - going around and trying to clip into pedals on a cobbled climb is incredibly difficult.

davidq
02-08-2016, 04:14 PM
I saw the message that David sent out about the permanent next weekend. I'm in for it, but don't have any email addresses to coordinate.

Good job to everyone who rode (big and small) this past weekend! I would have ridden the Richmond Worlds course a few times, but was with a group who was out hiking at the same time and didn't want to make them stand around in the cold :-) Those cobbled climbs are everything they were hyped up to be though. The 23rd street climb is steep and Libby Hill was chained off - going around and trying to clip into pedals on a cobbled climb is incredibly difficult.

Check your PM Inbox.:rolleyes:

vvill
02-15-2016, 01:03 AM
Nothing like returning from a midnight not-a-sleaze ride to see two of your teammates did the same thing! Nice to know we're all crazy.

Rod Smith
02-15-2016, 05:47 AM
Sugar for the sweet :)

rj1754
02-20-2016, 04:37 AM
Team, I am so sorry to report my thumb is still in a splint and I still cannot ride.
I am very sorry for taking up space...I go back 3/3 to the doc, it isn't looking hopeful.
Sooooo sorry! Randi

shardg
02-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Team, I am so sorry to report my thumb is still in a splint and I still cannot ride.
I am very sorry for taking up space...I go back 3/3 to the doc, it isn't looking hopeful.
Sooooo sorry! Randi

The thumb must be driving you mad by this time, sorry you cannot ride but allowing a proper heal is the priority.

rj1754
02-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Thanks for empathizing... I hate to complain but I am so sick of being one handed... Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully I will be out of it by 3/3... Ride safely and enjoy!!!!!

Steve O
02-22-2016, 11:25 PM
Thanks for empathizing... I hate to complain but I am so sick of being one handed... Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully I will be out of it by 3/3... Ride safely and enjoy!!!!!

You could have them switch out your splint for a cast. :) Then you could ride.

I broke my thumb in a head-on collision with another cyclist on November 4, 1998. I had a short cast (below the elbow) and after about 3-4 weeks I started riding with the cast on.

After the cast came off, it took freaking forever to get full range of motion back, even with thumb physical therapy, and it was too painful to ride at first. No pain with the cast, though.
Good luck.

davidq
02-25-2016, 11:20 PM
Team, any plan to meet this weekend? We have two teammates won't able to ride but at least we can have a lunch together somewhere. For those able to ride, we can ride together to get some miles before or after lunch. I only know roads around mall and would like to learn more where to ride in city. And ride in city, the pace and distance can be easier to manage for all of us. But I am pretty flexible where to ride and when to ride. Let team know what you thought.

Rod Smith
02-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Saturday would be good for me.

A friend asked me to ride gravel Sunday, it will be casual pace maybe 50 miles starting in Leesburg. Everyone is welcome. I know a lot of us only have road bikes though so a ride/get together in DC Saturday sounds good.

ramblingrider
02-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Team, any plan to meet this weekend? We have two teammates won't able to ride but at least we can have a lunch together somewhere. For those able to ride, we can ride together to get some miles before or after lunch. I only know roads around mall and would like to learn more where to ride in city. And ride in city, the pace and distance can be easier to manage for all of us. But I am pretty flexible where to ride and when to ride. Let team know what you thought.

Sorry-- I have last-minute things to take care of this weekend before I leave for two work trips for the next couple of weeks (see my first post in this thread).

shardg
02-26-2016, 09:18 AM

I am in for a group ride at a pace and distance that is not record setting, just let me know where and when.

whunke
02-26-2016, 10:11 AM

Saturday should work for me as well as long as I can be done by 4:00 or break off from the group then. I'll be on my CX bike since my road frame cracked and is being replaced - casual pace would be great!

vvill
02-26-2016, 11:02 AM
I may be in for an easy Sat ride. With a few optional HP laps perhaps :)

Edit: Anacostia Park around Navy Yard might be a good option if it's not too windy/cold.

davidq
02-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Sorry-- I have last-minute things to take care of this weekend before I leave for two work trips for the next couple of weeks (see my first post in this thread).

Sorry we miss you and hopefully we have another meet after you back.

ramblingrider
02-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Sorry we miss you and hopefully we have another meet after you back.
Thanks, David!

davidq
02-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Let's gather at Hains Point Citi bike station @9:30 Feb 27th if no one objects. Any place you guys lead to I will be happy to follow :D

Any FS riders are welcome to join us and any suggestion is appreciated.

Raymo853
02-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Let's gather at Hains Point Citi bike station @9:30 Feb 27th if no one objects. Any place you guys lead to I will be happy to follow :D

I am a might for sat at 9:30 am at HP

whunke
02-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Sounds good. See you there and thanks for organizing!

Rod Smith
02-26-2016, 07:24 PM
See you in the AM.

shardg
02-26-2016, 07:38 PM
I plan to be there as well.

rj1754
02-26-2016, 11:00 PM
Have fun!

Raymo853
02-27-2016, 08:06 AM
I need another healing day, so I will miss you folks.

davidq
02-27-2016, 11:22 AM
Guys, it is so sad not able to ride with you this morning due to stupid low back pain caused by loading bike into my car.:( But glad see all of you at start point and hopefully I will recover soon.

See you next time. Go sweet sixteen!

Rod Smith
02-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Thanks for getting some of us together, David. Hope you feel better soon.

vvill
02-27-2016, 03:14 PM
What Rod said ^. Take it easy, and hope you can ride again soon!

Thanks Rod for leading, that was fun.

Good to meet whunke and shardg, I think I could recognize more than 50% of the team now :D

whunke
02-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Guys, it is so sad not able to ride with you this morning due to stupid low back pain caused by loading bike into my car.:( But glad see all of you at start point and hopefully I will recover soon.

See you next time. Go sweet sixteen!

Thanks for organizing and bummer about the back. I'm sure we'll get a ride in together soon though, definitely the 13th of March! Until then, rest up.