PDA

View Full Version : BAFS 2016 Team 13 Official Thread

Powerful Pete
01-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Dear esteemed fellow velocipede users, this is the official thread for the BAFS 2016 Team 13 - official name to be decided in a highly participatory fashion hopefully involving fermented and/or caffeinated beverages in copious quantities. :cool:

As per Sunyata (team making czar) and her minions, the elite members of this unbelievably great team are:

barbielwc
beaversd
bruzasd
culery
FFX_Hinterlands
Henry
ian74
Judd
LeprosyStudyGroup
Powerful Pete
rwhiffen
Teresa A
HancockBS

A few housekeeping thingamajigs:

1. Please join the Strava Club for Team 13: http://www.strava.com/clubs/175419

2. Please double-check that you have a functioning Strava account and have authorized the BAFS website to access your rides/information - drop me a line and we'll figure it out if you have any questions (I am clueless in these matters but will appeal to others and pretend to be useful).

3. Please do "check in" on this thread once you have signed on the team, that way I will be able to confirm to our BAFS/forum overlords that we are all "on board"

4. If you are willing, please pm me your email address - this will simply make it easier to reach out to folks in planning rides and get-togethers - if you do not want to share this information, that's fine of course (the info shall not be sold or used for marketing purposes, unless someone offers me enough money to purchase a Campagnolo Super Record EPS groupset - then all bets are off). ;)

5. GET OUT AND RIDE. Remember if at all possible to at least sleaze daily.

6. Begin thinking (or don't think at all and propose anyway) of a name for our most awesomest bestest super duper team.

7. Encourage your riding buddies who are not on our team to save their energy and not ride. It's better for their health.

8. Please use this thread to organize rides, encourage other team members, brag about how awesome we are and make fun of the other teams.

9. Always encourage Boomer to look after his health and not ride.

HAVE FUN! RiDE SAFELY!

Teresa A
01-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Hi All! I'm happy to once again be Team 13 again this year (how did that happen?!) Obviously this team is the most awesome.
I'm joined up on the Strava club. Thanks for getting us started!

rwhiffen
01-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Here we go!

Powerful Pete
01-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Hey TEAM 13, if anyone is up for a team ride tomorrow, I was thinking of something nice and easy, either heading out on the WOD or towards Mt. Vernon. If we opt for the latter those who are interested could then opt for a few HP laps to complete their January Strava Gran Fondo challenge.

The idea is to have a social, no-drop ride involving coffee and pastries (ergo, motivation). Proposed meeting place: Best Buns Shirlington @ 10 (it is the weekend, after all).

By all means make other suggestions if these do not appeal... remember, you are in the capable hands of an Italian organizer...

Teresa A
01-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Hey TEAM 13, if anyone is up for a team ride tomorrow, I was thinking of something nice and easy, either heading out on the WOD or towards Mt. Vernon. If we opt for the latter those who are interested could then opt for a few HP laps to complete their January Strava Gran Fondo challenge.

The idea is to have a social, no-drop ride involving coffee and pastries (ergo, motivation). Proposed meeting place: Best Buns Shirlington @ 10 (it is the weekend, after all).

By all means make other suggestions if these do not appeal... remember, you are in the capable hands of an Italian organizer...

Sorry, I have an NCVC Women's team ride tomorrow at the same time. I might be able to join people in the afternoon though!

LeprosyStudyGroup
01-08-2016, 12:37 PM
I'll be around eventually. My rear hub decided to die wed. night and needs replacing :(

FFX_Hinterlands
01-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Hi, long time follower, first time BAFS rider! Most of my rides are commutes and errands regardless of weather. I don't think I logged many "fun rides" last year, which is too bad. I would be interested in meeting up for a weekend ride if anyone is in the Reston/Herndon area. I'm in the Hinterlands of Fairfax County, after all!

- Tom

bruzasd
01-08-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm all in! Joined the team Strava group.

10am ride from Arlington tomorrow should work for me.

A few random team name ideas to get us started:
- Iced nonfat ride a lot, eh?
- Abominable snowpeople
- Not done Yeti

ian74
01-08-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm all in! Joined the team Strava group.

10am ride from Arlington tomorrow should work for me.

A few random team name ideas to get us started:
- Iced nonfat ride a lot, eh?
- Abominable snowpeople
- Not done Yeti

Team name? Glacial Pacers.

I won't be able to make the 10:00 am ride tomorrow. But I was granted permission for a late afternoon ride so I will go out and get a few miles. Sorry PP, the weekends are harder for me since the arrival of terror baby. I will keep plugging along and find a Saturday to join in.

Boomer2U
01-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Dear Team 13, your leader is with holding a deep, dark secret which will inflict great harm upon you. Do not ride with him, under any circumstances. You have been warned!

Henry
01-08-2016, 02:55 PM
I think I've checked all the boxes and I'm ALL IN! But I sadly can't do a ride tomorrow AM. Will be at Transportation Camp all day. Will bike there and back, though.

Name ideas:

The Triskaidekaphilians (people obsessed w/#13)
The Untrue Wheelers
13 the Dream
Cracked Sidewalls
Just a Number

Henry

Powerful Pete
01-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Excellent suggestions. Let's give it until the end of the weekend then I will set up a poll for voting on the different names.

In the meantime, whatever you do, beware of that Boomer fellow. Above all, do not be seen in public with him - it is bad for your reputation. If you happen to see him riding, do the Washington DC area cyclists a favor and try to disable his velocipede. ;)

ian74
01-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Other team name ideas:

Cold Test Icicles
Chafing the Dream

Also, we are team number 13, there are 13 of us, so if anyone can come up with some play on that it might work. I got nothin.

bruzasd
01-08-2016, 03:20 PM
More bad name ideas

Lucky Bakers Dozen
Bare Your Polar Bear
Ride Day the 13th
Team 169 / 13

ian74
01-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Other team name ideas:

Cold Test Icicles
Chafing the Dream

Also, we are team number 13, there are 13 of us, so if anyone can come up with some play on that it might work. I got nothin.

Bible verse?
Romans 13:13

Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy.

I kind of like the alternative to daytime walking honestly.

bruzasd
01-08-2016, 03:27 PM
Bible verse?
Romans 13:13

Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy.

I kind of like the alternative to daytime walking honestly.

That's amazing. So team name "Romans 13:13, In Orgies and Drunkenness"?

Powerful Pete
01-08-2016, 03:40 PM
If I could, I would quadruple ELITE your suggestion bruzasd.:D

And thanks to ian74 for getting the Biblical ball rolling...

Judd
01-08-2016, 07:46 PM
I'm kind of digging "Orgies and Drunkenness" as a team name.

I'm all signed up on all the electronic spots. It was good meeting everyone at Happy Hour last night.

bruzasd
01-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Are we confirmed for a 10am depart from Shirlington?

Teresa A
01-09-2016, 08:14 AM
My clinic was cancelled die to weather. :/ my plans are up in the air but wondered if you guys are still departing best buns at 10?

Powerful Pete
01-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Good morning folks. I have to cancel this AM - apparently I did not get the memo referring to family duties this morning. I must apologize. I will be riding some time this afternoon... :mad:

rcannon100
01-09-2016, 09:29 AM
That's amazing. So team name "Romans 13:13, In Orgies and Drunkenness"?

I have a Masters in Divinity. I approve of this team name!!! LOVE IT

bruzasd
01-09-2016, 09:30 AM
Right on - I'm going to ride to DC for some errands then - catch you all at the next one.

Pete - maybe for a future ride sometime, if we know where everyone is located, we could leave from one location (eg shirlington or clarendon) and pick up others at a preset point along the way (eg Vienna), if that would make sense?

Hancockbs
01-09-2016, 07:03 PM
A little late to the party, but onboard now. Doing my best to get in at least a sleaze every day. Don't worry if you don't see my rides posted every day, I tend to upload them in chunks.

Powerful Pete
01-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Fantastic riding folks, we are moving up!

I will try to post an on-line survey with the choice of team names, to make things as participatory as possible.

Great work! :cool:

Henry
01-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Can I put in plug for "quarreling and jealousy"?

Also, how did we get 13 riders when some teams have as few as 9 (not that I'm complaining). I guess the Assignment Overlords know what they are doing.

Powerful Pete
01-10-2016, 08:27 PM
No idea in terms of number of team members - I thought all teams had more or less the same membership - it could be that some have not "signed up" their Strava and/or joined their Strava Team?

Will add your proposed team name to the list...

cvcalhoun
01-10-2016, 09:33 PM
Can I put in plug for "quarreling and jealousy"?

Also, how did we get 13 riders when some teams have as few as 9 (not that I'm complaining). I guess the Assignment Overlords know what they are doing.

The teams don't have exactly the same numbers, because we didn't have a total number of registrants that could be divided equally among the teams. However, they were structured so that the points should be about the same--teams with fewer members have ones who ride more.

However, I think all the teams have 12-13 members. If fewer than that are showing, it's because a) some people haven't joined the Strava club or authorized Freezing Saddles to read their miles yet (team captains are hunting these people down), and b) some people haven't ridden any miles yet (and thus won't show up on the leaderboard).

Sunyata
01-11-2016, 09:15 AM

All teams have 12-13 riders assigned to them. However, not all teams have all their riders in their Strava clubs. The plan is to give everyone until Wednesday to join their appropriate teams, and then start adding substitutions if needed to get everyone up to where they should be.

Powerful Pete
01-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Just to confirm to our Assignment Overlords that all 13 team members are now signed up on the Team 13 Strava team. So we are good. Should you run across another 350km a week substitute, we will consider accepting them into our team, of course...:cool:

LeprosyStudyGroup
01-12-2016, 09:54 AM
My bike being in the shop is driving me crazy. My door to door 1 way commute is usually about 18 minutes. Last night it took 90 minutes thanks to metro's involvement. This morning was in the 45 minute range even though I jogged to the station. :confused:

Powerful Pete
01-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Ok, most awesome Team 13 friends, please rank your preferred name for the team - #1 is highest preference all the way to #16, lowest.

Get 'er done: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TSRHTP7

Powerful Pete
01-12-2016, 11:42 PM
Also, let me try to improve on my Italian organizational skills - please suggest a date this coming weekend for a social/coffee Team 13 ride (other teams invited, even Boomer, as long as he is willing to pay for everyone's coffee and danish).

Saturday or Sunday? Morning or afternoon? Or a standing time for both days, and whoever shows rides?

As some have suggested, it might make sense to organize from Shirlington and head out towards Vienna and beyond to meet some of our fellow team members along the way...

Happy to not lead in this. ;)

Also, having ridden with some of you, the objective (or rather my objective) is that the ride be social, so no ripping my legs off and causing an old man to whimper in pain and self pity (yes, I have been particularly slow these last few days).

Hancockbs
01-13-2016, 11:22 AM
I live and work well south of DC, so I probably won't participate in the group rides much. If anyone is down near Quantico or Manassas and wants to ride together, that's more likely for me. Several good doughnut shops down this way if others want to come down for a ride.

Teresa A
01-14-2016, 11:02 AM
My bike being in the shop is driving me crazy. My door to door 1 way commute is usually about 18 minutes. Last night it took 90 minutes thanks to metro's involvement. This morning was in the 45 minute range even though I jogged to the station. :confused:

This is such a shame. With such a large team, does someone have a suitable bike to loan? How tall are you?

Powerful Pete
01-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Teresa makes a good point. I have a fully functional, older Jake the Snake that is collecting dust right now. Size 54 frame. It's a tank but you could certainly borrow it to add a few miles and points for the team.

Let me know.

Judd
01-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Except for this weekend, I'm generally able to ride any time on the weekends.

Steve O
01-14-2016, 10:34 PM
Teresa makes a good point. I have a fully functional, older Jake the Snake that is collecting dust right now. Size 54 frame. It's a tank but you could certainly borrow it to add a few miles and points for the team.

Let me know.

Actually, I think it would be best to go ahead and borrow all of Powerful Pete's bikes--just to try them out. Give yourself a week or two to see which ones feel good. No big hurry to return them; he's happy taking the Metro into work.

Powerful Pete
01-14-2016, 10:37 PM
A saboteur!

bruzasd
01-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Also, let me try to improve on my Italian organizational skills - please suggest a date this coming weekend for a social/coffee Team 13 ride (other teams invited, even Boomer, as long as he is willing to pay for everyone's coffee and danish).

Saturday or Sunday? Morning or afternoon? Or a standing time for both days, and whoever shows rides?

As some have suggested, it might make sense to organize from Shirlington and head out towards Vienna and beyond to meet some of our fellow team members along the way...

Also, having ridden with some of you, the objective (or rather my objective) is that the ride be social, so no ripping my legs off and causing an old man to whimper in pain and self pity (yes, I have been particularly slow these last few days).

Pete - I'm pretty flexible on Saturday vs. Sunday. Preference is to not depart overly early (I like sleep). Afternoons are fine, too.

Good with departing from Shirlington, or better yet, my backyard in Clarendon, if that's even more central :-)

If folks are okay with sharing their home bases, we could do a Google Map for the team and try and route to/through convenient spots. I started one here if anyone wants to drop a pin -
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z9fK4Khsauwk.kDBLouUoQ5fU&usp=sharing

LeprosyStudyGroup
01-15-2016, 07:59 AM
Actually, I think it would be best to go ahead and borrow all of Powerful Pete's bikes--just to try them out. Give yourself a week or two to see which ones feel good. No big hurry to return them; he's happy taking the Metro into work.

LOL. Thanks though everybody. I don't think anybody expected it to take so long. Brian from Papillon called me up yesterday and said he put a new wheel on that I could ride around on until the delayed hub parts get in. The place I actually bought the bike from would have never even bothered.

Looking at the BAFS charts you guys (we?) are the fastest team so far. Pretty cool.

bruzasd
01-15-2016, 08:04 AM
LOL. Thanks though everybody. I don't think anybody expected it to take so long. Brian from Papillon called me up yesterday and said he put a new wheel on that I could ride around on until the delayed hub parts get in. The place I actually bought the bike from would have never even bothered.

Looking at the BAFS charts you guys (we?) are the fastest team so far. Pretty cool.

Glad to hear it's at least rideable.

Super cool on the fastest team metric - by a good margin, too!!

kwarkentien
01-15-2016, 09:18 AM

How about an unholy alliance? Team Autocorrect and the Salty Dogs are doing the Port City Short Ride. I'm meeting my minions at Best Buns at 9 for breakfast, rolling to Port City at 10. All are welcome, even Powerful Pete, our mascot. [emoji41]

Powerful Pete
01-15-2016, 10:34 AM
@kwarkentien, I like the idea. Which day, if I might ask?

I am Italian, we like unholy alliances. And I can then sneak in a few laps at HP afterwards...

Powerful Pete
01-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Super cool on the fastest team metric - by a good margin, too!!

1. That's because we are not only the awesomest super duper team, but also the fastest.

2. I will take credit for us being the fastest, even though I have had nothing to do with it.

LeprosyStudyGroup
01-15-2016, 11:09 AM
Man, Unholy Alliance is a good team name for #13. Who didn't think of that earlier!? PEEETE!!!

Powerful Pete
01-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Hold your horses, kind sir. I am fixin' to post the results of the poll... and Unholy Alliance was not included in the list (I am, above all, an excellent, process-oriented bureaucrat).

Arlingtonrider
01-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Karen, I'm going to join your group riding tomorrow from Best Buns, thereby assuring that any alliance will be unholy. See you there!

Powerful Pete
01-15-2016, 11:38 AM
Ok, my hand has been forced. We will have a social ride as part of an unholy alliance with slower teams. Meet at 9AM for breakfast at Best Buns in Shirlington, wheels roll at 10 to Port City. More miles may be added post ride should you wish to.

Team 13-ers, Super Fast People, come one, come all! Let us outnumber the e̶n̶e̶m̶i̶e̶s̶ friendly riders from other teams...

Looking forward to it!

kwarkentien
01-15-2016, 02:14 PM
@kwarkentien, I like the idea. Which day, if I might ask?

I am Italian, we like unholy alliances. And I can then sneak in a few laps at HP afterwards...

Port City ride is Saturday. Just be sure to RSVP on FB so they know to plan for a larger group. The more the merrier!

kwarkentien
01-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Karen, I'm going to join your group riding tomorrow from Best Buns, thereby assuring that any alliance will be unholy. See you there!

Most excellent!

Powerful Pete
01-16-2016, 11:27 PM
Great riding and imbibing with LeprosyStudyGroup and Teresa A today in the Unholy Alliance ride!

A shout out to everyone - your riding has gotten us into 5th place as of this evening.

As we continue to rise in the ranks (as should be the case for the fastest awesomest team that we are), please remember to try to at least sleaze every day. That gets us key points in the standings.

kwarkentien
01-17-2016, 07:01 AM
Nice unholy alliance ride yesterday! But you all should take a few days off and rest up. No sense taxing yourselves too much this early in the competition. [emoji41]

ian74
01-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Great riding and imbibing with LeprosyStudyGroup and Teresa A today in the Unholy Alliance ride!

A shout out to everyone - your riding has gotten us into 5th place as of this evening.

As we continue to rise in the ranks (as should be the case for the fastest awesomest team that we are), please remember to try to at least sleaze every day. That gets us key points in the standings.

You have no idea how much I wish I had more time for weekend tomfoolery. I'm jealous. I can give solid weekday miles, but I fall behind on the weekends. SO glad we have some awesome weekend rollers on our team! Was our official team name ever decided?

bruzasd
01-17-2016, 03:59 PM
We're in 4th place!! Awesome job, team

Teresa A
01-18-2016, 04:56 PM
I just wanted to point out that according to the score board right now, if those of you who haven't ridden today would go out and do just one mile, we'd be in third place. Just saying. #doitfortheteam

Edit: Ok, math is hard, but I stand behind the spirit of my encouragement! :-) go team!

FFX_Hinterlands
01-18-2016, 04:56 PM
If it snows it's gonna slow us down a bit out here in the 'burbs. I'll be breaking out the Dutch Bike which won't be helping.

bruzasd
01-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Very sparse slick spots out there, pretty much all the rain is gone aside from a few puddles here and there that froze up.

bruzasd
01-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Whoa, neck-and-neck for 3rd spot on the team - I should have done a few more miles today!! Way to go, Ian and Chris. You all are going to extend a lead while I'm out west for the next week. (Yes I'll still sleaze on a rental whenever possible)

Teresa A
01-18-2016, 06:26 PM
We've moved into third place! Thanks, everyone!

Henry
01-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Back in third on this brisk AM. Nice work, everyone.

Oh, and did we decide on a name?

Teresa A
01-20-2016, 06:35 PM
Um, it's snowing outside and I'm riding my CX bike but with 25mm tires. Did I bring a knife to a gun fight?

FFX_Hinterlands
01-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Back in third on this brisk AM. Nice work, everyone.

Oh, and did we decide on a name?

What was the outcome of our overly-complicated survey, Pete?

Teresa A
01-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Hi Team! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing after the blizzard. Hope you all made it through without incident.

If you can safely get your daily miles in it would be really great for the team. We have slipped to fifth place and Chris Shue is ...err, I mean his team, is hot on our tails!

Go nameless Team 13!

Teresa

Powerful Pete
01-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Salutations all.

I have picked up on your hints - I seem to have... uhm... err... misplaced the password to our survey. Once I find it we will have a name. :o

In the meantime, hope you all were able to sleaze a wee bit in our wintery fun weather. Now the roads are being cleared, time to get back to it!

Steve O
01-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Now the roads are being cleared, time to get back to it!

No. No. No. You must give the plows room. You must stay far away from the dangerous salt spray. It will ruin your bike's finish. It will sting your face. The spray from the road will spatter your nice bicycling gear. Bad, bad idea.

Powerful Pete
01-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Don't listen to this provocateur. He was a nice cyclist, but has been befriended by Boomer, the Cycling Nemesis (CN). He cannot be trusted or believed on cycling matters.

Although I have been told he makes a mean chili. But that's beside the point.

Powerful Pete
01-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Housekeeping:

Our name is Romans 13:13... in Orgies and Drunkenness. If I don't hear any howls of disapproval, I will update all the relevant bits tomorrow (Wednesday, 27 January) evening. For those interested, Romans won with a total of 7 (first or second place rankings) over Glacial Pacers (3 votes total in first or second place rankings) and Untrue Wheelers (2 votes in first or second place). All hail Orgies and Drunkenness (or should it be all hail Romans 13:13)?

As some of you know, I am departing from my Arlingtonian existence. Some might say Boomer drove me to this, but it is actually related to gainful employment - I will be moving to Lima Peru in early March. But I will be on work related travel (to Italy, yay!) as of mid-February.

Ergo, my riding will decline significantly (work does that, unfortunately) and will, once I arrive in Lima for the nice tail-end of summer, require me to use ample amounts of suntan lotion. Given this, my questionable captaining abilities will become even more questionable. In light of this fortunate development for all of you, in the power and authority assigned to me by no one, I propose Teresa A as our new omnipotent and omniscient leader. Why? She rides hard, is smart and can get us organized and higher up the standings. Oh, and she lives here.

Should you wish to counter propose others, and/or propose yourself, I hereby decree (again, with the authority assigned by no one) that this be discussed on a ride this coming weekend. Which should preferably begin with caffeine and end with alcohol. Just sayin'...

It has been a great pleasure, nay, an incredible honor, to lead you valiantly these first three-odd weeks of BAFS16. I will treasure our common winter suffering for the rest of my days. We are comrades in silly cycling in winter conditions. This will not change with my departure to infinitely more pleasant (at least meteorologically) climes.

And lest you begin to mourn my departure, fear not! I intend, like others before me, to continue to participate in these august forums. And ride with anyone willing to be seen in my presence whenever I return to Washington in the future.

May the wind always be at your back, and may you bury Boomer in the BAFS 2016 standings!

kwarkentien
01-27-2016, 01:20 AM
No. No. No. You must give the plows room. You must stay far away from the dangerous salt spray. It will ruin your bike's finish. It will sting your face. The spray from the road will spatter your nice bicycling gear. Bad, bad idea.

For once, I must say that SteveO speaks sense and the truth. You really should rest and keep your bikes inside and out of the mucky weather. You can go back out when the weather improves...on 20 March.

Powerful Pete
01-27-2016, 08:05 AM
Hah! I can see through your attempts to convince Team 13 not to ride! Another saboteur in the Steve O mold!

Beware Team 13, these folks are all part of the anti-Team 13 cabal! Ride through the mucky weather and be victorious (cue noise of crowds going crazy)!

And anyway, my bikes are now so dirty and salt encrusted that more riding will change nothing!

ian74
01-28-2016, 11:55 AM
No!!!!! You're leaving us?? This is entirely unacceptable!

Who is going to keep pushing those miles in all this bad weather while I'm snowbound in Alexandria! Besides Teresa of course.

I'm sorry to see you go of course and wish you many successes in your future endeavors.

LeprosyStudyGroup
01-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Poor Boomer is likely to behave irresponsibly without his #1 healthy lifestyle advocate reminding him daily to stay indoors...it's very worrisome.

Powerful Pete
01-29-2016, 02:42 PM
All of you will have to encourage Boomer (and/or temporarily misplace all of his velocipedes) once I depart the area. We need to think of his health and family responsibilities. He really shouldn't be riding in this dangerous weather.

barbielwc
01-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Any team ride planned this weekend? Or leads on where to ride 30 plus?

Teresa A
01-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Hey Team - I don't know what's happening today and I haven't yet found a way off this couch, but tomorrow there is a 14-16mph road ride out of Bikenetic. 8am, you should come (and let me know if you need the FB invitation).

As for today, eventually I'll find myself outside. I'm disappointed at the WOD so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. Maybe Custis into DC and then ride the modified HP loop (or on the loop if they've managed to open it up).

What are your weekend plans?

Btw, the team in 9th place has a rider who had not, until today, logged his trainer rides as such. He updated the ride titles today, but it's still showing the miles in his total. Does anyone know if it will retroactively correct because it's constantly pulling all data or does it work by the system collecting them once and then storing locally on the freezingsaddles website? I wouldn't care except that in fairness, we shouldn't be placed behind a team with members riding in the comfort of their garage. And for that matter, I would like to propose a new rule: BAFS rides in FLORIDA and other warm climates should only count as 11 points (as a sleaze ride) to acknowledge the effort needed to ride whilst on vacation or work trips, but not to equate enjoyable warm rides with the rest of us suffering in the winter weather. Yes, I'm competitive! :-)

Steve O
01-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Btw, the team in 9th place has a rider who had not, until today, logged his trainer rides as such. He updated the ride titles today, but it's still showing the miles in his total. Does anyone know if it will retroactively correct because it's constantly pulling all data or does it work by the system collecting them once and then storing locally on the freezingsaddles website? I wouldn't care except that in fairness, we shouldn't be placed behind a team with members riding in the comfort of their garage. And for that matter, I would like to propose a new rule: BAFS rides in FLORIDA and other warm climates should only count as 11 points (as a sleaze ride) to acknowledge the effort needed to ride whilst on vacation or work trips, but not to equate enjoyable warm rides with the rest of us suffering in the winter weather. Yes, I'm competitive! :-)

I'm pretty certain that the FS website will retroactively correct, but you should post that question in the techie thread to get a for-certain answer.

In the past, we have always allowed travelers to log their miles while traveling in distant places. Usually this presents different issues such as obtaining a bike and finding places to ride. It's rare that a FS player is out of town in a warm climate for more than 10% of the total contest.
However, the FS rules are grass roots. Feel free to start a discussion thread on this topic if you like.

Teresa A
01-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Hey everybody. Nice miles put in for the team today. If you haven't ridden your bike today, there's still time to get 11 points for your team and help pull us up from our nose dive!

I went for a ride today sans studs. It was so awesome. More road ride tomorrow. You should come. 8am Bikenetic. 24 miles, 14-16mph steady. Hope to see some teammates out tomorrow.

bruzasd
02-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Great to have the roads back in largely-usable form!! Had a nice ride on the Rev loop out MacArthur to Great Falls, MD yesterday.

The last week and a half was super tough for me to get miles in, including a few days in the mountains of the PNW w/multiple feet of snow and no bike rental within hours, but will be back in form of 100mi+ per week starting now.

We're currently in 7th place, but the gaps are still small. 351 points would have us all the way up to 3rd! On average, that'd take just an extra 30miler for each of us :)

@Pete, sorry to see you go! All the best on your next adventure.

FFX_Hinterlands
02-01-2016, 10:53 AM
I just did some recon by car and my bike commute is still socked in with snow (W&OD Herndon to Pacific Blvd). Hopefully it will be gone enough to ride tomorrow.

Tom

Powerful Pete
02-01-2016, 12:45 PM
@bruzasd, I count on riding as soon as I arrive in Lima - at least sleazing, so will do my best to continue supporting Team 13.

May even be able to get a few rides in while on business trips... maybe... hopefully...

Everyone remember to at least sleaze daily - those points add up quickly!

Amalitza
02-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Dear Team 13,
It is wet and salty and sandy and generally yucky out there, and no where near the 60F the weatherman promised. I think you would all be happier and more comfortable staying indoors today. You wouldn't want to catch the sniffles or anything. Just looking out for your well-being. We're concerned about you.
Love,
Team 11, "The Sun Never Sweats"

Teresa A
02-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Dear Team 13,
It is wet and salty and sandy and generally yucky out there, and no where near the 60F the weatherman promised. I think you would all be happier and more comfortable staying indoors today. You wouldn't want to catch the sniffles or anything. Just looking out for your well-being. We're concerned about you.
Love,
Team 11, "The Sun Never Sweats"

Your concern is really sweet. I really enjoyed my wet, dirty, salty ride in this morning. It turns out the Bikenetic Buff is not just good for cold weather, but to keep dirt flying off your front wheel from getting in your mouth! It's so lovely outside in fact that I might take few loops around HP tonight before heading the long way home.

Guys and Gal - Let's reward Team 11's deep and genuine concern with some miles to take 'em down a notch. :D

Teresa A
02-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Hey Team. Team 12 is holding a happy hour for All Teams this Friday evening 5 February 2016 starting at 6pm at Capitol City Brewing Company in Shirlington. Please let W&W know on their thread if you're coming: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9760-Team-12/. Tim (Team 12) and I will be there and Judd said he's coming too. Hope you can make it and that you arrive by bike! :-)

Judd
02-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Team 13 - we had a pretty good week. We are just a paltry 300 points out of 4th place. We are also currently in the lead for most Hains Point laps with a slim margin of 2 laps over Team 3.

I will be trying to crank out some additional HP laps this week to keep us in the lead. I'm also tentatively planning on doing some laps on Saturday at 10 if anyone would like to join for some team riding.

I have also made a proposal to Team 3 (our Hains Point rivals) for us to join their regular Thursday night happy hour. Who's in?

bruzasd
02-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Team 13 - we had a pretty good week. We are just a paltry 300 points out of 4th place. We are also currently in the lead for most Hains Point laps with a slim margin of 2 laps over Team 3.

I will be trying to crank out some additional HP laps this week to keep us in the lead. I'm also tentatively planning on doing some laps on Saturday at 10 if anyone would like to join for some team riding.

I have also made a proposal to Team 3 (our Hains Point rivals) for us to join their regular Thursday night happy hour. Who's in?

I'm game for Thursday. Nice work this week, everyone.

LeprosyStudyGroup
02-10-2016, 08:14 AM
where is this thing tonight? if I can work it into my route home I'd stop by and grab something strong (beer not glutes)

edit: also wanted to ask this other question: where does a Haines Point lap start and end? Does it start at the northern stop/right turn from buckeye onto ohio? If it does, does that mean you have to go up buckeye a second time to complete the lap, or can you just head straight out? Or does it start where the divided ohio dr merges with itself and go all the way around? Does it start and end at the stops and ignore buckeye drive altogether, not completing the loop? I just don't want to be going up there and doing like 90% of a lap and not complete a loop that counts, because I decide to turn left instead of right at the end, if you know what I mean.

Steve O
02-10-2016, 11:37 AM
edit: also wanted to ask this other question: where does a Haines Point lap start and end? Does it start at the northern stop/right turn from buckeye onto ohio? If it does, does that mean you have to go up buckeye a second time to complete the lap, or can you just head straight out? Or does it start where the divided ohio dr merges with itself and go all the way around? Does it start and end at the stops and ignore buckeye drive altogether, not completing the loop? I just don't want to be going up there and doing like 90% of a lap and not complete a loop that counts, because I decide to turn left instead of right at the end, if you know what I mean.

There are at least 8 different Strava segments on Hains Point. If you use the "Segment Explore" feature and zoom in, you can identify them.
One is the "gate to gate" segment, which is not a complete loop.
And if you have your own favorite way to measure, you can always create a new segment.

FFX_Hinterlands
02-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Sorry no HP laps or likely Happy Hours for me, but I'm on schedule to put in at least 5 more bike trips this week. My 11-12 mph pace on my Dutch Bike is not helping our speed, sorry.

LeprosyStudyGroup
02-10-2016, 12:22 PM
There are at least 8 different Strava segments on Hains Point. If you use the "Segment Explore" feature and zoom in, you can identify them.
One is the "gate to gate" segment, which is not a complete loop.
And if you have your own favorite way to measure, you can always create a new segment.

I'm guessing the BAFS website counts the gate to gate segment as the lap then? That seems the most reasonable to me, since there are so many other options for start and end points.

Steve O
02-10-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm guessing the BAFS website counts the gate to gate segment as the lap then? That seems the most reasonable to me, since there are so many other options for start and end points.

Oh, that's a different question. I momentarily forgot about BAFS. Ask hozn (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9666-Data-and-techie-stuff-thread-for-BAFS-2016).

Judd
02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Team,

It's late notice, but I'll be attempting the first joint Team 3 - Team 13 Happy Hour tomorrow night.
I will be going to Gordon Biersch (900 F St NW, Washington, DC 20004) on Thursday, February 11th at 6 p.m. for the first crack at a Team 3/13 joint happy hour. My intention is to sit in the bar area. For those of you who I haven't met, I'll be the tall guy in bike gear that looks like a lumberjack. I've invited Team 3 who seem to be a rowdy drinking bunch. Please also feel free to invite any other friends of the 3/13 alliance, that may have the misfortune of being on an inferior BAFS team.

You may not be aware, but Team 3 are our bitter rivals in the quest for the title of most Hains Points laps, which we currently lead.

I hope to see some of you out there,
Judd

Judd
02-10-2016, 09:49 PM
where is this thing tonight? if I can work it into my route home I'd stop by and grab something strong (beer not glutes)

I've wondered the same thing. It appears to me from monitoring the leaderboards that it's the Gate to Gate segment. I'm going to pop over into the tech thread and ask hozn.

LeprosyStudyGroup
02-11-2016, 08:02 AM
*sneaky secret team 13 only post* According to my test yesterday, it is indeed gate to gate, or within that segment. No need to go back up and around to the first gate on your last lap once you get to buckeye if you don't wanna. Shhhhh don't tell team 3. /*sneaky secret team 13 only post*

americancyclo
02-11-2016, 08:51 AM
*sneaky secret team 13 only post* According to my test yesterday, it is indeed gate to gate, or within that segment. No need to go back up and around to the first gate on your last lap once you get to buckeye if you don't wanna. Shhhhh don't tell team 3. /*sneaky secret team 13 only post*
https://www.strava.com/segments/1081507

Judd
02-11-2016, 03:45 PM
Now if only we can find a way to cheat by cutting through the golf course.

bruzasd
02-11-2016, 05:10 PM
Team,

It's late notice, but I'll be attempting the first joint Team 3 - Team 13 Happy Hour tomorrow night.
I will be going to Gordon Biersch (900 F St NW, Washington, DC 20004) on Thursday, February 11th at 6 p.m. for the first crack at a Team 3/13 joint happy hour. My intention is to sit in the bar area. For those of you who I haven't met, I'll be the tall guy in bike gear that looks like a lumberjack. I've invited Team 3 who seem to be a rowdy drinking bunch. Please also feel free to invite any other friends of the 3/13 alliance, that may have the misfortune of being on an inferior BAFS team.

You may not be aware, but Team 3 are our bitter rivals in the quest for the title of most Hains Points laps, which we currently lead.

I hope to see some of you out there,
Judd

Judd - was hoping to make it out tonight but I think I'm going to be a long shot. Pesky work.

Judd
02-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Bah! The work will be there tomorrow. But beer, there's limited opportunities for beer in life.

bruzasd
02-11-2016, 05:21 PM
Bah! The work will be there tomorrow. But beer, there's limited opportunities for beer in life.

Amen, brother

LeprosyStudyGroup
02-12-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm also tentatively planning on doing some laps on Saturday at 10 if anyone would like to join for some team riding.

45mph wind gusts tomorrow.10944

Judd
02-12-2016, 05:57 PM
45mph wind gusts tomorrow.10944

Yeah... Hains Point is not likely to happen for me tomorrow. Weather Underground says sustained 25 mph winds from the NW. Maybe I'll do laps where I pedal 6 miles per hour into the wind on the backside.

Teresa A
02-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Hey Team! Awesome job this week!
Sorry I've not been contributing as I'd like to. If everything goes well I'll be back at it after Thursday. Until then, I'll be at least sleazing it every day.
Keep up the good work!
T

ian74
02-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Let's bring this back from the dead! Just wanted to say we're doing great! Even in the absence of Powerful Pete we've managed to hold our place on the leaderboards. Sure, were' not in the top five, but we could be doing a lot worse than 8th place!

Also, our team is leading in Hains Pt. laps. Another great accomplishment, with a healthy lead of like 40 laps over the next team. Finally, we're also in first place for team avg speed. Well, the slackers are in first, but they don't count as far as I know. These are GOOD THINGS and you should all be proud of yourselves.

I'm a bit regretful I haven't made it out for more shenanigans are made any attempts at a group ride, it's just that with a 10 month old at home and a wife who spends every waking minute with him during the week, by the time the weekend rolls around, my time at home is greatly....uh...encouraged?

The best place to find me is at Friday Coffee Club which meets at M.E. Swings in DC. Us early shifters show up around 7:20-or abouts, and I head out around 8:15. It's a great group, lots of BikeArlington people come and it goes late. I see that a couple of teamates are heading into DC, for their commutes, maybe you could try to pop in? Judd has made a few appearances, but I see Leprosy Study Group heads in that way, and my team nemesis Chris "Tomfoolery" Ulery is also going that way. Incidentally, I can't believe I haven't met Chris yet since we both seem to enjoy Hains Pt. morning laps. He must be sleeping in...

Judd
02-29-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm in Newnan, Georgia this week for work but managed to find a rental bike and think I'll be able to put in about 140 miles this week. My personal goal is for our team to have the most Hains Point laps. Thanks to Ian, Chris and LeprosyStudyGroup for putting in regular laps there. I'll be there this weekend to do at least 10 laps to make up for the missed commute this week.

I highly recommend Friday coffee club. Great group of people there. I missed last Friday due to travel and will miss this Friday due to travel too but I'm looking forward to making it next week.

LeprosyStudyGroup
03-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Pete was right this is the awesomest team - cause for a team whose top riders aren't even in the top 25 overall, we've kept up a helluva good position.

I realize how stupid it is that I don't come to FCC at Swings, but I am supposed to start work at 7:30 and I'm often barely there by 8 :rolleyes:
Mornings have always been my enemy.

I still haven't adjusted to my dramatic commute length increase, and have taken the weekends off as rest days as much as possible cause I feel pretty crushed by the end of the week... but I look forward to working with you all on a Hains Point collaboration with Judd Lapatow one of these weekends.

This season has passed by really quickly

bruzasd
03-14-2016, 05:29 AM
We're in 5th place at the moment and less than 200 points behind 4th!! Awesome job, everyone.

ian74
03-14-2016, 09:13 AM
We're in 5th place at the moment and less than 200 points behind 4th!! Awesome job, everyone.

Everyone did great this week! Strong work Team 13. Six of our riders had 200+ miles last week and I know for David B, it was his biggest week ever. Congratulations Dave! I also had my highest mileage week, and I think Andrea might have too. We really did great. Go team!!!!!!

Last week of Freezing Saddles is upon us! Dig deep everyone and lets show them what we can do!

barbielwc
03-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Thank you! Your right I was surprised I was over 200 last week. Even on a week I did a century I've never been that high. Great team keep up the good work!

barbielwc
03-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Anyone planning on joining in at the Last Night Hains Point Party?

LeprosyStudyGroup
03-18-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking of doing some laps in the afternoon/evening if the weather isn't too nasty, but probably not staying past sunset in any case.

*Ian isn't gonna be around, and Judd might be sick? Not sure.

bruzasd
03-18-2016, 05:43 PM
I'll probably swing by for a few laps late afternoon early evening as well.

By the way - we're up to 4th place, for now :)

Judd
03-18-2016, 07:14 PM
I will be at the Hains Point party. Fitting that the forecast is calling for snow in the evening. I'll also likely do a couple of HP laps tomorrow to help solidify the title of Hains Point He-Man Awesome Champs of Riding in Circles.

Not sick - took the day off to ride a century. We're 4th place now!

LeprosyStudyGroup
03-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Yeah I just saw that. Awesome! I really don't want to slog 20+ miles to HP and back in freezing rain so I really am hoping it gets cold enough.

bruzasd
03-19-2016, 12:33 PM
Last day, everyone!!

If the weather has you down and you're considering not riding, please get out and at least do a sleaze. We're down to the wire on keeping 4th place in the team standings and it could come down to an 11 point swing in participation.

Great riding (virtually) with all of you these past 79 days!

barbielwc
03-19-2016, 12:56 PM
"With your entire focus on your goal, you will reach levels of achievement that you never thought possible."
Catherine Pulsifer