PDA

View Full Version : Team 3 - Social Igloo

TriGirlSara
01-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Hello to my awesome team 3 teammates! I was voluntold at the happy hour tonight that I was the interim team captain, but Ed was nice enough to volunteer as co-captain. Thanks, Ed! It also looks like my teammate from last year, Ken, will also be on the team - sorry I missed you at the hh, Ken.

I've set up a strava group for us, go to this link to join: http://www.strava.com/clubs/175410

We also need to come up with a team name, so post your ideas here! It would also be great to just say hello and let us all know where you commute to/from during the week. I'll start off - I live in Woodley Park and work on 17th street near the White House. I'm also a fan of Hains Point laps if anyone wants to meet up for those before/after/during work!

sunsoutgunsout
01-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Hi guys. I'm Marissa. I'm new to this forum (is this thing on?) and to Freezing Saddles, but I've been a year-round rider in DC for about 10 years now. I work near L'Enfant Plaza and live in Capitol Hill.

During the frozen months, my hands turn to small hand-shaped popsicles after about five miles (yes, I have tried those $250 gloves), so you'll see most of my recent Strava mileage is commute-oriented. I bike to work pretty much every day. Slow and steady wins the race... right? I'm probably not going to be doing winter century rides any time soon, but I'm hoping this competition gets me on a few more winter road bike rides and helps me meet more people who think bikes are awesome.

@TriGirlSara, Hains laps after work sound fun!

LeslyJ
01-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Lesly here......I was also on a team with Sara and Ken, last year.

I don't commute but I do try to ride as many days as possible during the winter. I really hate cold weather but FS encourages me to get out and ride. I'm planning to ride across the country this summer, so I need as many miles as possible this winter.

I live downtown DC and look forward to joining you all for a ride.

DCAKen
01-08-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm looking forward to another fun FS with my fellow team members.

I live in the Dupont Circle area and work up in Silver Spring. I too suffer from those icicle hands, so when it's below 25, I can't do the longer distances. If I don't cycle the entire way to work, I'll take a CaBi partway, making sure I don't have a sleaze day.

TriGirlSara
01-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Hi there, @sunsoutgunsout, @LeslyJ, and @DCAKen! I'm really looking forward to this year's Freezing Saddles (my second year giving this a try). I also tend to get cold fingers and toes once it drops below 40 (totally weak sauce, I know). I can push through temps in the 30s if I use hand and toe warmers, which are a pretty fabulous invention. Otherwise I also tend to just stick to my 7mi round trip work commute in the winter and sneak in longer road bike rides if it warms up enough.

It's great that most of our team seems to be DC-based so far. I'm going to give our remaining teammates another day or two before I start poking them, but it looks like we will be 13 strong this year!

jongon
01-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Hello Friends!

Jon here! I usually bike from Trinidad to Adams Morgan everyday but work makes me bike all over the city. Fun Fact: MPD is hosting a 15 mile community bike ride on Sunday morning at 10 am starting from their HQ at 300 Indiana Ave NW and heading north on the Met Branch Trail. I will probably do the first half of it before I have to skedaddle. Anyone want to join in on the fun?

hozn
01-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Wanted to suggest changing Strava group name to "Team 3 - BAFS2016" for consistency and easy readability (in case team names get clipped by charts).

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-09-2016, 07:38 AM
Dave here... I live OUTSIDE of the beltway in Silver Spring (4 Corners, University and Colesville), but but I can see DC from my office! So I'm down with with hangin' with cool kids! My strava and FS screen name seems to be "david h". I am a commuter (about 10 miles per day) and do 1-2 longer rides every week (mostly with PPTC peeps). I have a bit more "mass" to me, so I try to kit up and ride even if the temp is below the freezing point of water.

Woot, I'm on the mighty TEAM 3! But... I noticed I'm not showing up yet on the FS Team list yet. Did I get traded for a case of beer by the co-team leads in one of those side games (sad face)?

FYI... I'll be out of town from Sunday-Friday next week (but will rent a bike to keep the miles growing). Hope I can do some rides with the might 3 when I return.

cvcalhoun
01-10-2016, 10:34 PM
The most common reason for having rides not show up (since you have joined the Strava club) is that you haven't authorized Freezing Saddles to read your Strava miles (or that there has been a glitch, and you need to reauthorize). You might try going to http://freezingsaddles.com/authorize, choosing whether you want to have private rides count for Freezing Saddles, and hitting the "Connect with Strava" button. Then check after about an hour (there is a lag) to make sure your miles show up on the leaderboard. If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Dave here... I live OUTSIDE of the beltway in Silver Spring (4 Corners, University and Colesville), but but I can see DC from my office! So I'm down with with hangin' with cool kids! My strava and FS screen name seems to be "david h". I am a commuter (about 10 miles per day) and do 1-2 longer rides every week (mostly with PPTC peeps). I have a bit more "mass" to me, so I try to kit up and ride even if the temp is below the freezing point of water.

Woot, I'm on the mighty TEAM 3! But... I noticed I'm not showing up yet on the FS Team list yet. Did I get traded for a case of beer by the co-team leads in one of those side games (sad face)?

FYI... I'll be out of town from Sunday-Friday next week (but will rent a bike to keep the miles growing). Hope I can do some rides with the might 3 when I return.

cvcalhoun
01-10-2016, 10:36 PM
If you need to poke, just PM me. I can give you real names, e-mail addresses, and Strava links for each of the missing, if you just give me their forum names.
Hi there, @sunsoutgunsout, @LeslyJ, and @DCAKen! I'm really looking forward to this year's Freezing Saddles (my second year giving this a try). I also tend to get cold fingers and toes once it drops below 40 (totally weak sauce, I know). I can push through temps in the 30s if I use hand and toe warmers, which are a pretty fabulous invention. Otherwise I also tend to just stick to my 7mi round trip work commute in the winter and sneak in longer road bike rides if it warms up enough.

It's great that most of our team seems to be DC-based so far. I'm going to give our remaining teammates another day or two before I start poking them, but it looks like we will be 13 strong this year!

Felkerino
01-10-2016, 10:51 PM
Hey folks,

Ed Felker here. I'm new to the forum mostly and new to BAFS. I live in SW DC near Arena Stage and Hains Point and bike commute to NoMA for about 7 miles roundtrip weekdays, plus the odd evening HP lap, grocery store run and other city errand.

Weekends my wife Mary and I get out on our tandem for century rides -- we're longtime members of the DC Randonneurs. You may have met us at Friday Coffee Club in downtown DC at Swings Coffee.

She signed up late -- this week -- and is awaiting assignment to a team other than 21. Am I getting that right, that the unofficial group for unassigned late signups?

I'm looking forward to meeting you all. My Twitter is @dailyrandonneur and I'll be blogging at The Daily Randonneur https://thedailyrandonneur.wordpress.com/

And, yes, I'll help with captain stuff as soon as I find out what to do.

Regards, Ed

TriGirlSara
01-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Wanted to suggest changing Strava group name to "Team 3 - BAFS2016" for consistency and easy readability (in case team names get clipped by charts).

I got it updated, @hozn! Should be good to go now.

TriGirlSara
01-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Hi teammates!
I'm working to track down our remaining 4 team members to make sure they join in all the fun and games, but in the meantime, thanks to the rest of you for joining our strava team and logging those miles! It also looks like a few of us have been logging rides every day - nice work @ctankcycles, @david.helms570@gmail.com, and @Felkerino.

I think we should brainstorm some team name ideas. I'm really bad at this stuff, AND it's Monday morning, but here's my initial contribution to the name game - Team (tr)icicles

Sara

DCAKen
01-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Team Tri-cicles...I like it!

Felkerino
01-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks Sara for the kudos and same to everyone on the team turning the pedals -- especially today.

I like Team Tri-cicles as well.

ctankcycles
01-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Hi guys, I'm Chris, I live in S Arlington, near Shirlington (home of Weenie Beanie), and work downtown. Nine miles door to door which means a lot of 28 point days. I've been doing this bike commuting in DC thing for over 10 years now and except for a few incidents (that one time a squirrel darted INTO my spokes on 4MRT) it's working out pretty well. This is my third year doing BAFS and have met a lot of cool people so far so hopefully you all won't disappoint! (kidding ;))

I also do a decent amount of non-commuting riding and love getting out to Loudoun and Fauquier on weekends and less frequently to Shenandoah and the greater Blue Ridge. Things I like: bikepacking, gravel riding, group rides, cx racing, and all the bikes and gear all that involves. I also enjoy capturing my rides and the bikes I come across which I sometimes post here... https://www.instagram.com/ctankcycles/.

Btw, I would have had 10ish more miles on Saturday but I got hit by a car (I'm ok) which then ran over my front wheel. It's kind of a crazy story. I'll tell you all about it, at happy hour, which we need to schedule. Right Proper, 100 Montaditos, Bluejacket, and Glen's are all HH spots that work well with bikes (and people wearing bike stuff). Oh, and Jon and I were on the same team last year. What up Jon!

Tri-cicles is good!

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Looks like everything is working okay between BAFS and Strava. Thanks for the help! Dave

The most common reason for having rides not show up (since you have joined the Strava club) is that you haven't authorized Freezing Saddles to read your Strava miles (or that there has been a glitch, and you need to reauthorize). You might try going to http://freezingsaddles.com/authorize, choosing whether you want to have private rides count for Freezing Saddles, and hitting the "Connect with Strava" button. Then check after about an hour (there is a lag) to make sure your miles show up on the leaderboard. If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

sunsoutgunsout
01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Yes for a happy hour! Possibly next week?

In addition, this seems like a good time to mention that I'm having a birthday thing at Bluejacket after work on Friday, from 6:30 p.m. onward. So if that's not out of your way, feel free to stop by and have a beer with me.

Hi guys, I'm Chris, I live in S Arlington, near Shirlington (home of Weenie Beanie), and work downtown. Nine miles door to door which means a lot of 28 point days. I've been doing this bike commuting in DC thing for over 10 years now and except for a few incidents (that one time a squirrel darted INTO my spokes on 4MRT) it's working out pretty well. This is my third year doing BAFS and have met a lot of cool people so far so hopefully you all won't disappoint! (kidding ;))

I also do a decent amount of non-commuting riding and love getting out to Loudoun and Fauquier on weekends and less frequently to Shenandoah and the greater Blue Ridge. Things I like: bikepacking, gravel riding, group rides, cx racing, and all the bikes and gear all that involves. I also enjoy capturing my rides and the bikes I come across which I sometimes post here... https://www.instagram.com/ctankcycles/.

Btw, I would have had 10ish more miles on Saturday but I got hit by a car (I'm ok) which then ran over my front wheel. It's kind of a crazy story. I'll tell you all about it, at happy hour, which we need to schedule. Right Proper, 100 Montaditos, Bluejacket, and Glen's are all HH spots that work well with bikes (and people wearing bike stuff). Oh, and Jon and I were on the same team last year. What up Jon!

Tri-cicles is good!

TriGirlSara
01-12-2016, 09:51 PM
Alrighty, let's get these happy hour plans formulated! I think that all of @ctankcycles suggestions sound good - Right Proper (Shaw), 100 Montaditos (navy yard), Bluejacket (navy yard), and Glen's (DuPont). And @sunsoutgunsout, I'll be out and about on Friday night, but I'm not sure I'll be over by Bluejacket, but if I am, I'll send you a message.

How about this - for anyone interested in HH, please respond back on whether Wednesday (1/20) or Thursday (1/21) would work better for you, and also what your preferred location is.

I'm totally flexible on this - both days and all locations work for me.

On a side note, Ed mentioned to me that he and his wife are regular attendees of the FCC (Friday Coffee Club) at ME Swings every Friday. Since this is about 1 block from my office, I'm going to stop by this Friday around 8:30ish and say hi. If anyone else will be there, let me know!

On yet another side note, I've been rounding up a few of our missing teammates - the good news is that most of them have been riding (especially @kenaray!!), but they just needed to get their Strava authorization set up. Now that we've fixed most (but not quite all) of those issues, our team has moved up into 7th place! Yaaaay team!

ctankcycles
01-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Thursday, 1/21 works best for me and I'm fine with any of those places. Now that it's for real cold out the outdoor seating at Glen's isn't really an option and the inside seating is limited so one of the other places might be better.

Most Wednesdays I do the Lights! Gravel! Action! ride that departs District Cycle Works (26th and P NW) at 6:00 pm. The typical route is out and back on the C&O towpath and ends up being about 24 miles. Afterwards we usually get together at Glen's in Dupont. The ride leader is also doing BAFS and the ride is open to anyone who wants to have fun and can follow the rules: 14-15 mph social pace, have fully charged front and rear lights, wear bright or reflective clothing. It's a lot of fun and is on for tonight if anyone's interested in joining just let me know.

DCAKen
01-13-2016, 09:35 AM
I'm sorry I can't make either night this week. Tomorrow, I start on a drive out to Colorado, but I'm taking a bike along to make sure I log some miles along the way.

sunsoutgunsout
01-13-2016, 12:26 PM
I vote for Thursday (1/21) for happy hour, at either Right Proper or Bluejacket. Beer FTW.

And I'm down with Team (Tr)icicles! Thanks, Sara.

Did anyone else ride into work today? I still can't feel my face.

TriGirlSara
01-13-2016, 12:44 PM
I sure did bike in today @sunsoutgunsout! I looked like a marshmallow when I walked out of my apartment this morning thanks to all the layers I had on, but I actually stayed toasty warm on my ride in. I'm finding that my work clothes (including knee-high boots) plus a layer of fleece/down on top almost work better than traditional cycling gear at keeping me warm on my 3ish mile ride each-way.

It's looking like Thursday next week will be the team happy hour - I'll just wait a few more days to pick Right Proper vs Bluejacket in case anyone else has a preference.

And @ctankcycles - a nighttime ride on the c&o sounds really fun! I didn't ride my cross bike to work today, but I'll plan ahead one of these Wednesdays and show up for that ride. My biggest issue will be keeping my toes warm if it's below freezing (I haven't yet been able to find a combination of shoe covers, toe warmers, etc., that work for me if the ride is longer than 30-40 minutes!).

TriGirlSara
01-13-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry I can't make either night this week. Tomorrow, I start on a drive out to Colorado, but I'm taking a bike along to make sure I log some miles along the way.

Have a great trip, Ken! Looking forward to seeing your Strava rides on your way out there. :)

kenaray
01-13-2016, 01:26 PM
I would vote for Right Proper because it is closer, but i guess if we are trying to get more miles i should vote for Blue Jacket. Sounds good either way.

I will be at Light! Gravel! Action! tonight with Chris Tank. Just know that other Freezing Saddles teams will also be represented, so more Team 3 are needed to counter their miles.

LeslyJ
01-14-2016, 11:00 AM
I really need to pay closer attention to the forum.

Sorry I missed the canal ride but would definitely like to join in the future. I'm not big on night riding but it sounds fun.

I would also vote for HH at Right Proper.

Also, I will try to make it to Swings on Friday morning.

LeslyJ

TriGirlSara
01-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Ok, team, let's meet for what I hope to be our first of many happy hours on Thursday 1/21 at 6pm at Right Proper Brewing Co in Shaw.

Also, it looks like the points are quite tight between our team and teams ahead of us (team 20) and behind us (team 13), so keep on getting in those miles! An interesting note is that team 13 actually has more miles than us, but because we had more team members getting in daily rides, we have more points. So sleaze rides definitely help too!

ctankcycles
01-14-2016, 05:48 PM
Looking forward to Thursday!

And here's my sleaze ride pitch: they're crucial! If you aren't sick and have access to a bike, throw on a warm coat any time before midnight and ride around the block a couple times. Sure, your partner and/or friends may think you're crazy but it's the easiest 11 points you can get!

Ok, team, let's meet for what I hope to be our first of many happy hours on Thursday 1/21 at 6pm at Right Proper Brewing Co in Shaw.

Also, it looks like the points are quite tight between our team and teams ahead of us (team 20) and behind us (team 13), so keep on getting in those miles! An interesting note is that team 13 actually has more miles than us, but because we had more team members getting in daily rides, we have more points. So sleaze rides definitely help too!

notinthe18
01-15-2016, 08:21 AM
Hi guys--Casey was kind enough to slot me in, as I'm a new to the board, was on vacation around the holidays, and am otherwise a dingus. HOWEVER, I'm ready to get in the game. I commute by bike almost every day and get long rides in when I can, so hopefully I will pull my weight. :)

TriGirlSara
01-15-2016, 09:43 AM
Hi guys--Casey was kind enough to slot me in, as I'm a new to the board, was on vacation around the holidays, and am otherwise a dingus. HOWEVER, I'm ready to get in the game. I commute by bike almost every day and get long rides in when I can, so hopefully I will pull my weight. :)

Hi there @notinthe18! I'm guessing you're the Jonathan that recently joined our Strava team. :) Welcome to the team! We are very happy to have you on board. It would be great if you can stop by the happy hour next week so that we can say hello in person. Otherwise, it would be awesome for you to join in any of the other rides or coffee clubs mentioned on here. It would be even more awesome if you threw out some ride suggestions/invites to the rest of the group!

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Back home after a flight, got a sleaze ride in the rain. Hey, I'm not a sugar cookie.

Check out my 3.7 mi Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/471162071

And here's my sleaze ride pitch: they're crucial! If you aren't sick and have access to a bike, throw on a warm coat any time before midnight and ride around the block a couple times. Sure, your partner and/or friends may think you're crazy but it's the easiest 11 points you can get!

Felkerino
01-16-2016, 07:57 AM
I'll be there on Thursday -- great choice. Look for me at 6:30 pm.

Tomorrow (Sunday 17th) Mary and I will be riding the Leesburg Loop from DC -- outbound via W&OD to Leesburg, to Whites Ferry, and back via Poolesville, Potomac, Georgetown. Let me know if you want to join up for any/all, we'll ride a 15 mph average speed. We'll stop at Amouri Coffee on the way out in Vienna. The loop is 86 from our house in SW DC, we'll add some miles along the way or Hains Point to get to 100.

See you all Thursday if not sooner.

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Tri-cicles can live up to its name this week, with forecast temps below freezing through Thursday! We are creeping up on the pacing teams, currently in 4th, keep it rolling! See you Thursday, Dave

sunsoutgunsout
01-18-2016, 08:29 PM
12 sleazy points, 10 numb fingers and one dropped chain this evening. Better than nothing. :)

TriGirlSara
01-18-2016, 10:49 PM
12 sleazy points, 10 numb fingers and one dropped chain this evening. Better than nothing. :)

Good job! I also got an insanely cold sleaze ride in tonight - even w gloves on I couldn't feel my fingers by the end. Our team had a great weekend (including some BIG miles by a few people) - we're only 10 points behind team 13!

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-19-2016, 05:47 PM
The weather forecast is getting ugly for Friday and Saturday, big snow predicted. You can probably get a ride in early Friday morning (before 8am), but conditions will get challenging by Friday afternoon. Competing for the road with snow plows is not not fun. Hopefully the snow will stop by late Saturday, and some roads plowed enough for a sleaze ride, but I'm thinking snowfall of more than a foot could break my string of days. Too bad cross country skiing isn't an alternative to miles. Weather Dave

Good job! I also got an insanely cold sleaze ride in tonight - even w gloves on I couldn't feel my fingers by the end. Our team had a great weekend (including some BIG miles by a few people) - we're only 10 points behind team 13!

Felkerino
01-19-2016, 10:50 PM
The weather forecast is getting ugly for Friday and Saturday, big snow predicted. You can probably get a ride in early Friday morning (before 8am), but conditions will get challenging by Friday afternoon. Competing for the road with snow plows is not not fun. Hopefully the snow will stop by late Saturday, and some roads plowed enough for a sleaze ride, but I'm thinking snowfall of more than a foot could break my string of days. Too bad cross country skiing isn't an alternative to miles. Weather Dave

Right you are Dave. I've got the same plan for Fri/Sat. Here in the city I expect to see some plowing on the main thoroughfares and will take out a Cabi bike for a sleaze ride if the system is not turned off.

Looking at the leaderboard, our team is doing really well on the daily rides, very impressive. We are closer in points than miles to some teams just ahead.

TriGirlSara
01-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Right you are Dave. I've got the same plan for Fri/Sat. Here in the city I expect to see some plowing on the main thoroughfares and will take out a Cabi bike for a sleaze ride if the system is not turned off.

Looking at the leaderboard, our team is doing really well on the daily rides, very impressive. We are closer in points than miles to some teams just ahead.

I've got my cross bike ready to go for Saturday and plan on just riding back and forth on a flat stretch of road by my place to get my mile in. I also plan on wearing neon with flashy lights to be extra visible. I will not be stopped!

Felkerino
01-20-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm going to dig the studded tires out and go to coffee at Eastern Market Peregrine on Saturday, thinking Capitol area streets will be kept passable

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-20-2016, 06:14 PM
I need to see if the LBS has any knobby tires for my 26" wheels. Guess I need to add this to my snow shopping list.

I'm going to dig the studded tires out and go to coffee at Eastern Market Peregrine on Saturday, thinking Capitol area streets will be kept passable

Felkerino
01-20-2016, 06:43 PM
Amazon, if you shop thru them, has some 26" with prime shipping

ctankcycles
01-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Trying to decide if I should put my studs on tonight for tomorrow's commute and HH. Definitely wasn't expecting this heavy dusting tonight.

TriGirlSara
01-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Trying to decide if I should put my studs on tonight for tomorrow's commute and HH. Definitely wasn't expecting this heavy dusting tonight.

This was indeed unexpected! It's supposed to be in the mid 30s tomorrow, so I'm hoping that helps to clear things, although I'm still a little concerned about it all refreezing. I don't have studs, but I'm hoping they get the roads cleared/salted by the morning (maybe unlikely since this snow was a surprise?!).

Felkerino
01-21-2016, 08:10 AM
I put on my studded tires last night after getting home. Nothing was plowed from NoMa to SW DC after work, cars were backed up everywhere.

notinthe18
01-21-2016, 08:27 AM
I metroed in (for shame) because a peek out the window looked pretty bad and I don't have studs. Sort of regretted it. Many roads look fine, including downtown. The trails are probably a mess, though, so YMMV. My route to work has a lot of them so it would have been stop and go.

sunsoutgunsout
01-21-2016, 02:47 PM
I also Metro'd, despite my intense dislike for it. My skinny tires are no match for the 1/2-inch of ice that covered my neighborhood's streets when I left the house at 6:30 this morning (they were barely a match for walking home after snow last night). Safety first, my friends.

Looking forward to seeing folks tonight, regardless of transportation methods.

TriGirlSara
01-21-2016, 03:55 PM
I metro'd up to a meeting in Tenleytown today, but since the roads are looking good, I'm going to bike down to the happy hour to get in a few miles. See you all soon!

TriGirlSara
01-21-2016, 05:50 PM
I'm tracking 5-10min late, but I'm on my way! To help you spot me, I have on jeans, a dark green shirt, and a black scarf w flowers.

Felkerino
01-21-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm tracking 5-10min late, but I'm on my way! To help you spot me, I have on jeans, a dark green shirt, and a black scarf w flowers.
On my way too.

sunsoutgunsout
01-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Also running late, but I'm en route. I'm in a purple-ish down coat and green hat.

On my way too.

TriGirlSara
01-21-2016, 09:15 PM
Well, that was fun! It was pretty impressive that 9(!!) of us ditched pre-blizzard preparations in favor of a beer. Let's do it again in 2 weeks at Bluejacket! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160122/668fc3c24d4a8fdae845129a4f465403.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160122/6bbf9437fa4416e25ba721aacd16a038.jpg

Felkerino
01-21-2016, 10:09 PM
Well, that was fun! It was pretty impressive that 9(!!) of us ditched pre-blizzard preparations in favor of a beer. Let's do it again in 2 weeks at Bluejacket! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160122/668fc3c24d4a8fdae845129a4f465403.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160122/6bbf9437fa4416e25ba721aacd16a038.jpg
Great fun, hope you guys can make it to Friday Coffee Club one of these days. Looking forward to the next HH!

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-22-2016, 11:08 AM
I am thinking about snow tire alternative for my MTB bike which has 26x1.9" tires, but "slick". Read a post that you can attach zip ties to the drive wheel and it will work okay with no damage to the wheel/disk brake. Worth a try, and costs about a dollar. Please be safe team!

TriGirlSara
01-22-2016, 12:00 PM
I am thinking about snow tire alternative for my MTB bike which has 26x1.9" tires, but "slick". Read a post that you can attach zip ties to the drive wheel and it will work okay with no damage to the wheel/disk brake. Worth a try, and costs about a dollar. Please be safe team!

Oh, that's an interesting idea, Dave! I'm hoping I can get in a sleaze mile with the fairly knobby tires on my cx bike, but let us know if you try out the zip ties!

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Hi Sara... Getting better at snow riding. Knobby tires with zip ties on rear wheel seem to work good. Technique is more important, keep your left hand off the front brake, slide WAY back and keep your weight on the drive wheel. No freaking when the bike decides to wiggle a bit.

Hope y'all are safe and toasty! Dave

Oh, that's an interesting idea, Dave! I'm hoping I can get in a sleaze mile with the fairly knobby tires on my cx bike, but let us know if you try out the zip ties!

TriGirlSara
01-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Hi Sara... Getting better at snow riding. Knobby tires with zip ties on rear wheel seem to work good. Technique is more important, keep your left hand off the front brake, slide WAY back and keep your weight on the drive wheel. No freaking when the bike decides to wiggle a bit.

Hope y'all are safe and toasty! Dave

Nice report on how the zip ties are working out! I've been riding my cross bike with knobby tires (and low tire pressure), which seems to be working pretty well. I'm still playing it super safe on any slushy road sections just because I REALLY don't want to bite it on hard pavement.

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Word of caution for the next several mornings... afternoon snow melt will re-freeze in the early morning causing black ice. Stay away from anything "shiny", very difficult to identify in the pre-dawn darkness. If you must ride on black ice due to traffic, keep the bike vertical, especially in turns, brake before the turn, and keep your left hand of the front brake.

TriGirlSara
01-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Word of caution for the next several mornings... afternoon snow melt will re-freeze in the early morning causing black ice. Stay away from anything "shiny", very difficult to identify in the pre-dawn darkness. If you must ride on black ice due to traffic, keep the bike vertical, especially in turns, brake before the turn, and keep your left hand of the front brake.

Yikes. Good point, Dave. I might do a slightly later departure for work to give things a chance to thaw out a little bit.

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-29-2016, 08:27 AM
10716still slippy out there!

sunsoutgunsout
01-30-2016, 02:00 PM
I officially have low-mileage cabin fever. :(

It seems like a lot of snow and ice is melting now that the sun is out, so I would like to try to get in a longer ride tomorrow when the temps are warmer. Has anyone done laps at Hains since the blizzard? I'm curious if the bike/pedestrian path along the Francis Case bridge has been cleared enough to ensure safe passage.

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-30-2016, 05:52 PM
Sara was out riding HP a couple days ago, and reported it okay, but slushy in a couple places. Sunday will be close to 50F so I think it will be in good shape. Happy riding Marissa!

I officially have low-mileage cabin fever. :(

It seems like a lot of snow and ice is melting now that the sun is out, so I would like to try to get in a longer ride tomorrow when the temps are warmer. Has anyone done laps at Hains since the blizzard? I'm curious if the bike/pedestrian path along the Francis Case bridge has been cleared enough to ensure safe passage.

Felkerino
01-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Sara was out riding HP a couple days ago, and reported it okay, but slushy in a couple places. Sunday will be close to 50F so I think it will be in good shape. Happy riding Marissa!
Marissa let us know about HP. I fell 100 miles short of my monthly goal and need to start making that up with extra HP laps! Last weekend knocked out a planned long ride on tandem with Mary.

david.helms570@gmail.com
01-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Marissa let us know about HP. I fell 100 miles short of my monthly goal and need to start making that up with extra HP laps! Last weekend knocked out a planned long ride on tandem with Mary.
Tri-Cicles has 7 people with perfect attendance (counting Ed, who never disappoints), pretty incredible considering the cra-cra weather we had in the last week. Our collective daily rides have given us a 300 point advantage.

Lets see what February brings, but I think we have the legs to be a top five team.

HH Thursday?

TriGirlSara
02-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Tri-Cicles has 7 people with perfect attendance (counting Ed, who never disappoints), pretty incredible considering the cra-cra weather we had in the last week. Our collective daily rides have given us a 300 point advantage.

Lets see what February brings, but I think we have the legs to be a top five team.

HH Thursday?

Let's meet up for another HH this Thursday! At our last HH, we talked about heading over to Bluejacket, so let's plan on meeting there unless anyone would like a different location. That will get in some extra miles for a few of us too that live in NW!

It looks like a lot of us were out at Hains Point this weekend! It's pretty awesome that we're ranked #2 in total team laps around HP. Any interest in doing a few laps around HP before we meet up for the drinks this week?

Felkerino
02-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Let's meet up for another HH this Thursday! At our last HH, we talked about heading over to Bluejacket, so let's plan on meeting there unless anyone would like a different location. That will get in some extra miles for a few of us too that live in NW!

It looks like a lot of us were out at Hains Point this weekend! It's pretty awesome that we're ranked #2 in total team laps around HP. Any interest in doing a few laps around HP before we meet up for the drinks this week?
I am always up for post work laps but I don't get there until 630 pm earliest except for Fridays.

HH at Bluejacket sounds great.

TriGirlSara
02-01-2016, 09:48 PM
I am always up for post work laps but I don't get there until 630 pm earliest except for Fridays.

HH at Bluejacket sounds great.

No problem, Ed! Once I see whether anyone else wants to do a few laps, we'll finalize meet up time at Bluejacket. I'm thinking we'll prob just aim for 6/6:30 regardless of whether or not we do laps.

TriGirlSara
02-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Hey team tri-cycle! I'll be heading to Hains Point tomorrow at 5:30pm for one or two laps and then will be arriving at bluejacket around 6:30 for our happy hour. Hope to see you all there!

Steve O
02-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Dear Team 3,

In sincere concern for your health and well being, I strongly recommend you stay out of the cold and rain to prevent the likelihood of catching a cold...or worse. Better to just rest up and take it easy and not subject your body or your bike to these inclement conditions. It is only with your best interests in mind that I convey this message.

Yours most truly,

Team XX

Felkerino
02-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Dear Team 3,

In sincere concern for your health and well being, I strongly recommend you stay out of the cold and rain to prevent the likelihood of catching a cold...or worse. Better to just rest up and take it easy and not subject your body or your bike to these inclement conditions. It is only with your best interests in mind that I convey this message.

Yours most truly,

Team XX
We'll follow your team's lead, Steve. If you/yours are riding I'll assume it's safe to match the mileage and maybe add a couple more in honor of the fine example being set!

kwarkentien
02-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Dear Team 3,

Yours most truly,

Team XX

I must agree with Team XX: you really should rest up and wait until all roads and trails are clear of snow, slush, ice, salt, sand, twigs, pebbles, water, leaves, dirt, or other detritus. It should also be 70+ and sunny. We really are concerned for your safety.

Enjoy your hot cocoa indoors and sans bike!

Best,

Team 18 Autocorrect

TriGirlSara
02-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Dear Team 3,

Yours most truly,

Team XX

Wow, that is SO nice of you to be looking out for us, Steve O! However, if you take a little peak at our team stats (hint: just scroll up on the standings page above your team), you'll see that we have 7 team members who have done rides every day. So I think we've got inclement weather riding down. ;)

Steve O
02-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Wow, that is SO nice of you to be looking out for us, Steve O!
. . .we have 7 team members who have done rides every day.

Oh, I see. They should all take a rest week or two after all that hard work. It's only because I care so much for your health and well being that I am intervening on your behalf.
Love,
Team XX

ctankcycles
02-04-2016, 03:54 AM
Hey team tri-cycle! I'll be heading to Hains Point tomorrow at 5:30pm for one or two laps and then will be arriving at bluejacket around 6:30 for our happy hour. Hope to see you all there!

In for the happy hour. Maybe in for the HP laps beforehand.

sunsoutgunsout
02-04-2016, 06:08 PM
Sorry for the radio silence, comrades. I was suuuuuper sick and missed 3 riding days. I have never felt so sad about not riding. :(

I'm back on the bike today. I also picked up a 30-day CaBi membership for those days when I'm not with my bike all the time. And I'll see you at the happy hour, albeit a little on the later side.

Safe rides.

TriGirlSara
02-04-2016, 06:31 PM
We're in the bar area at the end of a table.

david.helms570@gmail.com
02-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Woot, Team TC is in the pole position for HP laps!

In for the happy hour. Maybe in for the HP laps beforehand.

TriGirlSara
02-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Woot, Team TC is in the pole position for HP laps!

Yessss...nice work, tri-cicles!

Felkerino
02-07-2016, 04:11 PM
We got in some laps today and yesterday. I'm going to pick up the laps as I have no excuse living so close!

Judd
02-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Team 3 - You are proving quite worthy adversaries of Team 13 for the title of 2016 Hains Point champions. In an effort to keep our friends close and our enemies closer, I am proposing a joint Team 3 and Team 13 happy hour on Thursday. I can guarantee at least my attendance.

ian74
02-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Team 3 - You are proving quite worthy adversaries of Team 13 for the title of 2016 Hains Point champions. In an effort to keep our friends close and our enemies closer, I am proposing a joint Team 3 and Team 13 happy hour on Thursday. I can guarantee at least my attendance.

Great plan Judd! You go distract them while I go to Hains pt Thursday night a ride laps!

david.helms570@gmail.com
02-08-2016, 05:55 AM
The forecast has rain and snow for this evening through early Wednesday morning... maybe 1-3 inches total accumulation. Most of the snow will melt as the temperature will start off in the low 40's and not drop below freezing until Wednesday. Not the worst scenario for biking, but wet and slushy Tuesday won't much fun so break out the rain kit. After Wednesday, it will turn markedly colder and windy, with highs near 32F and lows in the teens, so bundle-up and please be on the lookout for black ice. Guess that's why they call this thing "Freezing Saddles". Have a safe week!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-77.01376035908758&lat=38.91801054398249#.VrhznvkrLIU

TriGirlSara
02-09-2016, 11:06 AM

Hi Judd! I think a joint team 3/13 happy hour is a great idea! Only people with 3 in their team name are allowed to attend. However, I can't make it this Thursday (lame, I know). Unless anyone else on the team weighs in, it sounds like team 13 was planning to do another hh on Thursday next week. I'll be in California for vacation (where I will still be riding every day, of course), but hopefully the rest of the gang organizes something. Team 3 should definitely join in if a hh can come together for next week!

ctankcycles
02-09-2016, 08:51 PM

I should be able to make a Thursday HH in DC or VA. Where are you thinking?

Judd
02-10-2016, 09:33 PM
I should be able to make a Thursday HH in DC or VA. Where are you thinking?

Sticking with the fine Team 3 tradition of going to a brewpub, I will be going to Gordon Biersch (900 F St NW, Washington, DC 20004) on Thursday, February 11th at 6 p.m. for the first crack at a Team 3/13 joint happy hour. My intention is to sit in the bar area. I'll be the tall guy in bike gear that looks like a lumberjack. I'll be inviting all of Team 13, but I'm not sure who will come out. Please also feel free to invite any other friends of the 3/13 alliance, that may have the misfortune of being on an inferior BAFS team.

Hope to see you guys tomorrow,
Judd

ctankcycles
02-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Sticking with the fine Team 3 tradition of going to a brewpub, I will be going to Gordon Biersch (900 F St NW, Washington, DC 20004) on Thursday, February 11th at 6 p.m. for the first crack at a Team 3/13 joint happy hour. My intention is to sit in the bar area. I'll be the tall guy in bike gear that looks like a lumberjack. I'll be inviting all of Team 13, but I'm not sure who will come out. Please also feel free to invite any other friends of the 3/13 alliance, that may have the misfortune of being on an inferior BAFS team.

Hope to see you guys tomorrow,
Judd

Judd, thanks for organizing, see you later around 6.

TriGirlSara
02-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Judd, thanks for organizing, see you later around 6.

Sorry that I can't be there! Sounds like a good time.

Felkerino
02-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Hey folks, great job out there. We are really making the most of the daily rides. I did some quick math and we are ahead of all the teams in front of us in average points per mile ridden at 1.775. Way to go!

david.helms570@gmail.com
02-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Hey folks, great job out there. We are really making the most of the daily rides. I did some quick math and we are ahead of all the teams in front of us in average points per mile ridden at 1.775. Way to go!
Definitely, Ed, we are hanging tough. If we keep doing our best to bank days and miles, we can be a top 5 team, which is a big deal in this competition.

Felkerino
02-15-2016, 12:44 AM
At this hour 12:44 am we have moved into 7th place!

Rod Smith
02-15-2016, 05:49 AM
Definitely, Ed, we are hanging tough. If we keep doing our best to bank days and miles, we can be a top 5 team, which is a big deal in this competition.

Tougher competition than the National Bike Challenge. A lot tougher.

TriGirlSara
02-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Hey there team 3! I'll be back in DC tomorrow, and I'm planning to drive to Hains Point to run a few laps and then ride a few laps. I'll probably be riding around 12:30 or 1pm if anyone wants to join me. I'll be on my blue and white tri bike Trek tri bike!

david.helms570@gmail.com
02-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Hey there team 3! I'll be back in DC tomorrow, and I'm planning to drive to Hains Point to run a few laps and then ride a few laps. I'll probably be riding around 12:30 or 1pm if anyone wants to join me. I'll be on my blue and white tri bike Trek tri bike!
I'll be up in Frederick... Maybe Sunday?

sunsoutgunsout
02-20-2016, 03:07 PM

My plan for tomorrow is AM Hains laps to beat the rain, followed by nachos for lunch at Las Placitas at 8th and I SE (their new location). The declining weather forecast makes me sad. :( Hope to see some of you out there!

david.helms570@gmail.com
02-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Hey SOGO... I'll be down at HP around 9:30AM for a couple laps for Team TC. Hope to see you there! Dave

My plan for tomorrow is AM Hains laps to beat the rain, followed by nachos for lunch at Las Placitas at 8th and I SE (their new location). The declining weather forecast makes me sad. :( Hope to see some of you out there!

sunsoutgunsout
02-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Hey SOGO... I'll be down at HP around 9:30AM for a couple laps for Team TC. Hope to see you there! Dave

Way to go, Dave! I had a failure to launch from bed on time this morning, so I'm not sure when I'll make it over there. [emoji26]

david.helms570@gmail.com
02-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Way to go, Dave! I had a failure to launch from bed on time this morning, so I'm not sure when I'll make it over there. [emoji26]
Ah, sorry I missed you. Saw Ed and Ms Coffeerino and other BAFS riders. My o-beltway self loves checking out DC.

Felkerino
02-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Ah, sorry I missed you. Saw Ed and Ms Coffeerino and other BAFS riders. My o-beltway self loves checking out DC.
Good to see you Dave and hope you can get out for a couple today Marissa. We missed you out there. There were lots of riders. We rode up to Peregrine at Eastern Market and got home just before the first batch of rain.

TriGirlSara
02-21-2016, 10:37 PM
You guys all did better than me today! I slept in way late and only got in a short sleaze tonight. So many tri-cicles got in some really great rides this weekend, though! Nice job!

sunsoutgunsout
02-27-2016, 01:57 PM
How's it going, team? It's been a tough week for me -- busy at work and my dog has been really sick -- so I haven't gotten in as many miles as I normally would. Hope you enjoy the weather on Sunday, wherever you are.

Oh, and who's game for a happy hour this week or next? Maybe Bluejacket on a dry night, so we could crush some HP laps beforehand?

ctankcycles
02-28-2016, 11:46 PM
Oh, and who's game for a happy hour this week or next? Maybe Bluejacket on a dry night, so we could crush some HP laps beforehand?

Thursday looks rain-free as of now. Thursday HH anyone?

DCAKen
02-29-2016, 11:05 AM
I'm going to be out of town for about 10 days, so I'll miss any happy hour between March 4-13. But I do have a bike lined up, so I'll still get in some miles.

Felkerino
02-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Thursday looks rain-free as of now. Thursday HH anyone?
How about laps *after* happy hour? Take that other teams!

sunsoutgunsout
03-02-2016, 05:15 PM
I know HH was my idea... But I'm not going to be able to make it. Sorry, guys.

Seems like several people are out of town or not available. Should we try for next week?

david.helms570@gmail.com
03-02-2016, 05:31 PM
I was looking forward to bonus miles tomorrow. :( Happy to host team TC @ Denizens in Silver Spring next Thursday if there is interest.

david.helms570@gmail.com
03-02-2016, 05:35 PM
FYI... TC has moved into 6th place with contributions from the entire team! If we keep putting in solid daily miles through March 19th (just two more weeks), we can finish strong!

TriGirlSara
03-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Hey team TC! I also just noticed our move up to 6th place! It's pretty awesome that we moved up a spot this far into the competition. Sorry that I've been MIA lately, but my schedule has been nuts. I'm busy this Thursday and Tues-Thurs next week (ugh). Is a Monday happy hour a bad idea? :)

david.helms570@gmail.com
03-03-2016, 06:49 AM
tri-cicles leads in team ride days,http://freezingsaddles.com/pointless/alt_scoring/team_riders

Felkerino
03-03-2016, 01:54 PM
tri-cicles leads in team ride days,http://freezingsaddles.com/pointless/alt_scoring/team_riders
It's been fun to see the gaps form between teams based on points vs. miles. Love it that we are very consistent!

TriGirlSara
03-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Hi Team 3,
I'll be biking over to the crystal city spins tonight if anyone of you would like to meet up there! I know we won't have time for another official team happy hour before the competition wraps up this weekend, but it would be fun to see a few of you tonight if any of you will be there!

Sara

Steve O
03-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Not on your team, but I'm planning to go watch. And get pie first at the waterpark.

TriGirlSara
03-16-2016, 05:21 PM
Awesome! I'll be in a grey and black diamond pattern bike jersey with a green backpack. I'll be spectating not racing! :) and what is this water park you speak of??

david.helms570@gmail.com
03-16-2016, 09:59 PM
Sorry I missed your post, didn't see until this evening.

TriGirlSara
03-16-2016, 11:00 PM
No problem! It was a last minute decision. I had a good time spectating, and I met SteveO and Sunyata in person. There are two more weeks of racing left, and I think the last week especially will be fun.

kwarkentien
03-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Ah! So now I know why I saw Steve O riding up S Four Mile Run Dr with other bikers around 9:40p last night. I tried to say hi as we were stopped at the light at WR but seeing as I was in my four-wheeled enclosed motorized definitely not a bicycle vehicle, no one recognized my attempts at friendly greeting, kinda like I was invisible. [emoji41] Hope you had a good time.

kenaray
03-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Are folks going to the HP Freezing Saddles party on Saturday? I know i plan on riding that day and then heading down there for laps, and i will likely stay to toast away winter and welcome spring that evening. It is good to see our team make a final push during this warmer weather, and i think we can take back 6th place if we all keep posting good mileage these last few days.

-Ken

Sunyata
03-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Are folks going to the HP Freezing Saddles party on Saturday? I know i plan on riding that day and then heading down there for laps, and i will likely stay to toast away winter and welcome spring that evening. It is good to see our team make a final push during this warmer weather, and i think we can take back 6th place if we all keep posting good mileage these last few days.

-Ken

I like how we are "welcoming Spring" with snow... :mad:

And you can have 6th place back, but only after we move into 5th place! ;)

Felkerino
03-18-2016, 02:09 PM

-Ken
Ken we'll be there after we return from the DC Randonneurs event tomorrow. Anybody want to join us, it's in Nokesville 7 am start.

TriGirlSara
03-18-2016, 02:27 PM
I'm planning to do about 40mi of HP laps in the morning going from 9am-noon (if I can keep my toes warm enough!), and then I'll be back for some laps that evening. If the weather is as bad as it looks like it might be, I will most likely be there around 6:30ish and will bail around 8pm.

david.helms570@gmail.com
03-20-2016, 07:44 AM
Missed you last night. We made a good run at 6th place but missed it. Definitely a solid finish.

-Ken