PDA

View Full Version : Team 14 Ready for Plunder and Adventure!!!!!!

sjclaeys
01-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the best and coolest team evah! First, to make this all happen, you need to request to join the BAFS Team 14 Strava club here: http://www.strava.com/clubs/175405. Second, we need to agree on a team name. Please send your suggestions in response to this thread and we can hopefully come to a quasi-consensus. My entry is "Team Salty Dogs" - riding in the snow and ice certainly gets your bike and you salty, plus we get to use a pirate theme for the team - Aaaaaargh!

Welcome on board!

Cap't Steve

sjclaeys
01-07-2016, 09:05 PM
Also, be sure to participate in the Beerneuring side bet - http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring

Arlingtonrider
01-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Hey, didn't Liz say that Team 14 had the most spirit by having the most RSVPs for the happy hour?! That's us!!!

reji
01-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Robyne from Fairfax here - great to meet some of my teammates at HH last night. I'm glad to be on a local team too - getting to the HH was a bit of an adventure. Getting home was even more so but after I lugged my bike up the stairs to the towpath, I was on my way! This suburban gal don't do cities very well. :o

Looking forward to some team rides - anyone up for Beerneuring tomorrow? I'm thinking of headed down to Lorton to visit Forge and Fair Winds. And I don't have a better team name so Salty Dogs is fine by me. But if we're going for the pirate theme, shouldn't we be Rumneuring too?

dkel
01-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Second, we need to agree on a team name.

No, you all need to regale us with fifteen pages of arguing about the name, just like last year!

Love, dkel (happily observing from the sidelines this time)

chris_s
01-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Salty Dogs works for me! Let's make sure we don't get pIRATE arguing about a team name.

pdubs
01-08-2016, 10:56 AM
I like the name too. What's our strava avatar going to be? A Dog? A pirate? Puppies?

sjclaeys
01-08-2016, 11:00 AM
No, you all need to regale us with fifteen pages of arguing about the name, just like last year!

Love, dkel (happily observing from the sidelines this time)

Ha, we traded up for the better half of Team DRock this year!

sjclaeys
01-08-2016, 11:04 AM
I like the name too. What's our strava avatar going to be? A Dog? A pirate? Puppies?

We could go classic skull and cross bones or I found one with the team name.

pdubs
01-08-2016, 11:10 AM
I was really hoping we would have a dog themed avatar, but the one you posted with the team name is just so strong. I can definitely support that.

chris_s
01-08-2016, 12:20 PM

http://www.funcage.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/pirate-dog.jpg

reji
01-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Love the bull dog mascot! Now if someone could photoshop the Salty Dog logo on the dog's hat, it would be perfect!

dkel
01-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Ha, we traded up for the better half of Team DRock this year!

Prettier, maybe.

camiller
01-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Hello Team 14, this is Cathy, also from Fairfax. Freezing Saddles is new to me but I am excited about the extra motivation to ride in the winter. I am looking forwarding to meeting everyone on the team. Sorry I could not make it to HH on Thursday but working 12 hour shifts in Fredericksburg make it difficult to get out on certain days.

Salty Dogs and a bull dog mascot are fine with me.

Arlingtonrider
01-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Welcome, Cathy, and everyone else! I'm a Kathy too and commute to DC from the Shirlington area. I'm great with the Salty Dogs name and love Chris' suggested avatar, but have no photoshop skills to add the name to the hat.
Have you all clicked on Steve's link and joined our team's strava club? That's necessary to stay in Freezing Saddles and for the team to get credit for your rides. Go Salty Dogs!

reji
01-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Hi all! Change in plans for today's ride. I'm going to head west on the WOD to Leesburg to hit Crooked Run brewery. Look for me if you head that way. Gonna be a great day for a ride!

sjclaeys
01-09-2016, 09:04 AM
I like Chris' avatar but may also change my Bike Forum and Strava avatars to the Salty Dog one. We are pretty low in the rankings because six of our teammates have not signed up to the Strava club yet. I just sent them a personal message , so hopefully they will join soon. Otherwise, keep riding!

eoarl
01-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Salty Dogs works for me. I just requested to join Team 14. Haven't seen this morning's ride post yet, but hope it will shortly. Great meeting a few of you at the HH the other night.

Steve O
01-09-2016, 10:35 AM
My entry is "Team Salty Dogs"

Salty Dogs is fine by me.

Salty Dogs works for me!

I like the name too.

Love the bull dog mascot!

I can definitely support that.

I'm great with the Salty Dogs name
Salty Dogs works for me.
What is wrong with you people!!!

KMcDeemott
01-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Hey all... sorry a little late to the party. Kevin from Alexandria here... and i can't type on my phone, so I misspelt my last name in my username. Should be McDeRmott. Getting back on the bike recently after a 3+ year layoff, so hopefully I can keep up.

Nadine
01-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Hi -- Nadine here. Sorry, I haven't got checking the WABA forum in my daily habits yet.....
BTW it's a lovely rare spring day. I guess most of you guys are probably out already, but if anyone wants to ride this afternoon, please lmk! email might work faster -- pearbeck@aol.com.

I hafta go to farmer's market first, so probably be able to ride by 1:30-2

:-D Nadine

Nadine
01-10-2016, 12:41 PM
What is wrong with you people!!!

Salty dogs is fine with me too, hahaha. And Steve O, where do you live? I'm in Dominion Hills too....

Also -- are there rides posted here? I saw a mention of a "this morning's ride". I'm about to go out on my own, couldn't get anyone but am not missing this day. But are there rides here that I'm missing? Another forum? Thanks.

sjclaeys
01-10-2016, 02:02 PM
I hope that everyone is getting some riding done on this beautiful day. Now that we have all but one team member accounted for, I'd like to make some general comments to the team.

First, welcome to Freezing Saddles. This is my fourth year doing it and it is a blast. You get to meet great people and find that you will ride your bike much more than expected. The more you put into it, the more fun you will have. Although no one is expected to ride every day (though some will), this is a bicycle riding event so there is the expectation for everyone to ride at least a few times a week.

Second, the key for the team to do well is to ride as many days as possible. Riding a mile each day gets more points for the team each week (77) than doing one 50 mile ride on the weekend (60). There is also something relaxing about riding a mile or two around the neighborhood in the morning or evening.

Third, let everyone know on this thread what you'd like to do as a team. We can do rides, meet ups, etc. It seems to me that everyone is somewhere between Alexandria and Fairfax, so maybe Falls Church is a good central location for meeting up? Feel free to post any suggested rides.

Fourth, there is a consensus for Salty Dogs, so hence forth we are Team 14 Salty Dogs! I will use the avatar suggested by Chris for the Strava team.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cap'n Steve

chris_s
01-11-2016, 08:02 AM
Fourth, there is a consensus for Salty Dogs, so hence forth we are Team 14 Salty Dogs! I will use the avatar suggested by Chris for the Strava team.

Now with Team Name:

http://mizook.com/keep/salty dogs.png

sjclaeys
01-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Now with Team Name:

Thanks! I will update the Team Strava avatar this evening.

reji
01-11-2016, 12:45 PM
I hope that everyone is getting some riding done on this beautiful day. Now that we have all but one team member accounted for, I'd like to make some general comments to the team.

First, welcome to Freezing Saddles. This is my fourth year doing it and it is a blast. You get to meet great people and find that you will ride your bike much more than expected. The more you put into it, the more fun you will have. Although no one is expected to ride every day (though some will), this is a bicycle riding event so there is the expectation for everyone to ride at least a few times a week.

Second, the key for the team to do well is to ride as many days as possible. Riding a mile each day gets more points for the team each week (77) than doing one 50 mile ride on the weekend (60). There is also something relaxing about riding a mile or two around the neighborhood in the morning or evening.

Third, let everyone know on this thread what you'd like to do as a team. We can do rides, meet ups, etc. It seems to me that everyone is somewhere between Alexandria and Fairfax, so maybe Falls Church is a good central location for meeting up? Feel free to post any suggested rides.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Cap'n Steve

I'll try to ride every day but that will depend on how much snow/ice Mother Nature throws at us this winter. My quinquennial bones tend to break when they hit pavement. Weather notwithstanding, it will also depend on how well my joints and muscles handle daily rides. :p

Other than Tuesdays, my weekday evenings are mostly free and am open to meet ups in the Arlington, Falls Church, Vienna or Fairfax areas. I also try to get out every weekend and will post my plans if they're concrete, though they're often last minute decisions. I am playing the Beerneuring side bet and while I don't expect to win (or even come close), brewery destinations are high on my list!

Looking forward to biking with some teammates - go Salty Dogs!

sjclaeys
01-13-2016, 07:06 PM
This Saturday at 10:45 Port City Brewery is having its Pedals 'N' Pints short ride. It is a very mellow 10 mile ride from the brewery and back, followed by the option of having beer and food from a food truck. I can lead a ride from the caboose on the W&OD in Bluemont, from there it is an about 7 mile/40 minute ride. Some of the route is on Walter Reed and Braddock Rd, so comfort riding with traffic is needed. I'd leave at 9:50 sharp. If you'd rather not ride there, you can drive to the brewery and meet up there. Please let me know if you are interested. Note that the route is not 100% smooth, so commuter/cross/hybrid bikes are best. You can get more info on the ride here:http://www.portcitybrewing.com/events/pedals-n-pints-the-short-ride-january/

Capt'n Steve

Arlingtonrider
01-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Great idea, please count me in!

KWL
01-13-2016, 09:10 PM
I remember last year's January Pedal 'n' Pints ride where the Freezing Saddles participants overran the brewery. Now I are one.

Rockford10
01-14-2016, 06:10 AM
Let me check with my beer partner on another team. We had another ride scheduled, but may be able to postpone.

Anyone up for a ride Monday? I think I will take the holiday off of work. I'd plan to start at Monday Morning Pancakes in Falls Church and end somewhere?

reji
01-14-2016, 06:34 AM
I'm in and I'll meet you at the Caboose.

reji
01-14-2016, 06:57 AM
Anyone up for a ride Monday? I think I will take the holiday off of work. I'd plan to start at Monday Morning Pancakes in Falls Church and end somewhere?

I'd love to but I'll be out of town Sun and Mon. Have an extra pancake for me! (One of these days, I'm going to join MMPC!)

reji
01-14-2016, 12:50 PM
This Saturday at 10:45 Port City Brewery is having its Pedals 'N' Pints short ride. It is a very mellow 10 mile ride from the brewery and back, followed by the option of having beer and food from a food truck. I can lead a ride from the caboose on the W&OD in Bluemont, from there it is an about 7 mile/40 minute ride. Some of the route is on Walter Reed and Braddock Rd, so comfort riding with traffic is needed. I'd leave at 9:50 sharp. If you'd rather not ride there, you can drive to the brewery and meet up there. Please let me know if you are interested. Note that the route is not 100% smooth, so commuter/cross/hybrid bikes are best. You can get more info on the ride here:http://www.portcitybrewing.com/events/pedals-n-pints-the-short-ride-january/

Capt'n Steve

Hey Capt'n Steve! I was hoping to ride my commuter with road 28's but I have the option to ride my CX with 32 nobbies. I'm fine with "not 100% smooth" but do you think the 28's can handle the terrain or do you recommend switching to the CX? Thanks!

Terpfan
01-14-2016, 01:54 PM
Hi team, I've been added in and looking forward to it. Some health stuff kept me from cycling for last two months (one involving small crash, but bike is good and i'm recovered), but doing first commute to new job tomorrow and looking forward to it. Downside for team is that my commute is now like 13 instead of 17 miles, but the plus side for me is I avoid the climb from Potomac River to National Cathedral level, which was almost the end of my old ride. Anyway, will do my best to ride when I can and try to at least point a few points on the board each day.

sjclaeys
01-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Hi team, I've been added in and looking forward to it. Some health stuff kept me from cycling for last two months (one involving small crash, but bike is good and i'm recovered), but doing first commute to new job tomorrow and looking forward to it. Downside for team is that my commute is now like 13 instead of 17 miles, but the plus side for me is I avoid the climb from Potomac River to National Cathedral level, which was almost the end of my old ride. Anyway, will do my best to ride when I can and try to at least point a few points on the board each day.

Ahoy Terpfan and welcome aboard the Salty Dogs! If you've got the time, there is always the option to add a few miles to your commute. I posted on this thread last night about going to the Port City short ride if you are interested. Finally, hope that your commute goes well tomorrow. I have the blue Surly if you happen to see it locked up at the rack.

sjclaeys
01-14-2016, 02:08 PM
Hey Capt'n Steve! I was hoping to ride my commuter with road 28's but I have the option to ride my CX with 32 nobbies. I'm fine with "not 100% smooth" but do you think the 28's can handle the terrain or do you recommend switching to the CX? Thanks!

I think that you will be fine. It is not off road, but there are some bumpy parts and silt/soft ground if there has been rain.

Terpfan
01-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Ahoy Terpfan and welcome aboard the Salty Dogs! If you've got the time, there is always the option to add a few miles to your commute. I posted on this thread last night about going to the Port City short ride if you are interested. Finally, hope that your commute goes well tomorrow. I have the blue Surly if you happen to see it locked up at the rack.
Depends on wife's plans that day, but she did say something with her friends so I may join that Port City short ride.

And thank, hoping it goes well. Figured out I can use cage for storage of clothes. So it's just about doing registration when I get in and otherwise should be good to roll. Depending on timing or BAFS competitions, I may try to tack some miles on, especially with HP being on my way back. I'm also going to try to find the illustrious south-east route one weekend day when it's nice just because I've never ridden past the Anacostia Park area, yet I've seen a few people doing it.

sjclaeys
01-14-2016, 03:06 PM
I've made a Ride With GPS route from Blumont to Port City: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11811334. As you can see, there are some busy crossings and a little on busy streets. This is unavoidable unless you take Holmes Run trail, which involves water crossings and possibly getting wet (I can speak of that from personal experience).

sjclaeys
01-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Great idea, please count me in!

Do you want to meet at Walter Reed and W&OD?

kwarkentien
01-14-2016, 07:31 PM
At the risk of colluding with the enemy, I've put out a post for Team Autocorrect to meet me at Best Buns prior to riding to Port City via Fairlington and Foxchase. You are welcome to join me and anyone else who may be there: 9am for breakfast; rolling at 10am.

sjclaeys
01-14-2016, 08:27 PM
At the risk of colluding with the enemy, I've put out a post for Team Autocorrect to meet me at Best Buns prior to riding to Port City via Fairlington and Foxchase. You are welcome to join me and anyone else who may be there: 9am for breakfast; rolling at 10am.

Thanks for letting us know! I was planning to take this route: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11811334

kwarkentien
01-14-2016, 08:37 PM
You could save yourself a lot of turns by taking Howard to Jordan, cross Duke, first left onto Venable, right on Jenkins (or keep going straight until the road turns right and becomes Iris), left on Vermont, right on Gordon, left on Wheeler.

kwarkentien
01-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Also, the route through Fairlington (Quincy/31st to L on Abingdon, R on 36, R on Wakefield, Cross King, R on King service road, L on Menokin, L on Early, R on Braddock to Howard) is a bit less traveled and calmer than WR/Beauregard. Either route gets you a few short, punchy climbs.

Nadine
01-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Capt'n Steve

Thanks for organizing this, Cap'n Steve! I have a conflict on Sat am, so am gonna wait to decide which one to do til tomorrow night. I might meet a friend for breakfast at the airport (he's passing through with just time for breakfast :-D) and then go on to the brewery. I'd miss the ride but I'd arrive in time to have a beer with you guys and ride back. Would that make sense, do you think? How long are people likely to stay for a beer and a bite? I should be able to get there by 12:15-12:30.

Also, if anyone has used bike parking at the airport, please lmk. I'd be looking for the lockup near terminal C, but this map is not very detailed.... http://www.flyreagan.com/sites/default/files/dca_bike_racks_0.pdf.

I'm afraid I'm having a learning curve about using this forum. First, I don't know who anyone is by their username except Steve, whose name is clear (though I know some of you on Strava, and from the night in G-town -- but which are you, here?) I haven't figured out how to "like" a post. (I see the thumb, but when I click on it, my vote is not added in,) and finally, I can't see how to reply without a quote. (That's the least of it, though.)

Nadine
01-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Oh wait, I see the reply button now. Still would love to know people's names and how to thumbs up though! :-D

cvcalhoun
01-15-2016, 02:18 AM
Oh wait, I see the reply button now. Still would love to know people's names and how to thumbs up though! :-D

The thumbs up thing seems to be a glitch in your computer. It works for me on my computer, on the browser on my phone, and on Tapatalk on my phone.

As to people's names, you really just have to ask them. We thought about doing a chart to link forum names and Strava names, but decided there were too many privacy concerns.

Terpfan
01-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Thanks for organizing this, Cap'n Steve! I have a conflict on Sat am, so am gonna wait to decide which one to do til tomorrow night. I might meet a friend for breakfast at the airport (he's passing through with just time for breakfast :-D) and then go on to the brewery. I'd miss the ride but I'd arrive in time to have a beer with you guys and ride back. Would that make sense, do you think? How long are people likely to stay for a beer and a bite? I should be able to get there by 12:15-12:30.

Also, if anyone has used bike parking at the airport, please lmk. I'd be looking for the lockup near terminal C, but this map is not very detailed.... http://www.flyreagan.com/sites/default/files/dca_bike_racks_0.pdf.

I'm afraid I'm having a learning curve about using this forum. First, I don't know who anyone is by their username except Steve, whose name is clear (though I know some of you on Strava, and from the night in G-town -- but which are you, here?) I haven't figured out how to "like" a post. (I see the thumb, but when I click on it, my vote is not added in,) and finally, I can't see how to reply without a quote. (That's the least of it, though.)

Sorry, I just saw this now and could have ridden through the airport en route this morning. Don't know when you're flying, but I can try to swing through en route home. There have been a few posts on the forums too at some point if you search them. I remember discussing leaving my bike there on an old work trip fly-in/fly-out same day thing, but I didn't do it because it ended up raining and I had to be in a suit. If my memory serves right, one set of those racks is in the bottom of the daily garage. I think in the northeast corner.

Terpfan
01-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Ah-ha:

Post Thanks / Like
I've done it for a weekend trip, no problem. There's a bike parking area within the daily parking garage; there are signs to it from the Mount Vernon Trail. That area is kind of out of sight (elevated a few feet from the parking level) but the garage is patrolled.

Actually, better if you just click the thread as they have an explanation and some photos. I knew I remembered reading this, but gosh, didn't think it was four years ago.
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1740-Secure-Bike-Parking-at-DCA

Rockford10
01-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Hi - I'm Kathleen and met some of you at the happy hour in G'town. I bike from Falls Church to Tysons most days. I'm the cyclist going west in the morning around 8:00 or so and then East around 6:30? There aren't too many of us so say hi and make a friend! I'm also part of Team D-Rock, which is a very select team that likes to ride for beer and go to pancakes. You can find me most Mondays at MMP(ancake)C(club) and I dream of making the Vienna Thursday club, but it's just so early!

I've got a Salsa Vaya with red handlebar tape, and I'm rockin' a rack and fenders.

I am not available for the beer ride this Saturday. :( Team D-Rock has another engagement in Georgetown involving coffee. I'm usually available for rides on the weekends, but life has been hectic lately. Kid1 might be passing algebra now though, so time might be freed up. Kid2 is destined for a disaster now, right?

Is anyone interested in a Facebook page? Would that make this easier or harder?

Arlingtonrider
01-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Steve, I think I'm going to head out with the group from Best Buns and meet you all at Port City. I may ride back with you though. See you at the Brewery!

Nadine
01-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Hi - I'm Kathleen and met some of you at the happy hour in G'town. I bike from Falls Church to Tysons most days. I'm the cyclist going west in the morning around 8:00 or so and then East around 6:30? There aren't too many of us so say hi and make a friend! I'm also part of Team D-Rock, which is a very select team that likes to ride for beer and go to pancakes. You can find me most Mondays at MMP(ancake)C(club) and I dream of making the Vienna Thursday club, but it's just so early!

I've got a Salsa Vaya with red handlebar tape, and I'm rockin' a rack and fenders.

I am not available for the beer ride this Saturday. :( Team D-Rock has another engagement in Georgetown involving coffee. I'm usually available for rides on the weekends, but life has been hectic lately. Kid1 might be passing algebra now though, so time might be freed up. Kid2 is destined for a disaster now, right?

Is anyone interested in a Facebook page? Would that make this easier or harder?

Hey thanks for the help. I woulda thumbsed up your replies, but... yeah. :-D
OK so now I think I know who four of you are (reji I also met at the bar in G-town, right?) Terpfan, who are you? Anyone else wanna help me with a little decoding? Yeah I completely agree about not linking with Strava -- I was pretty blown away with how Strava knew stuff about me I didn't know myself....

Terpfan
01-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Hey thanks for the help. I woulda thumbsed up your replies, but... yeah. :-D
OK so now I think I know who four of you are (reji I also met at the bar in G-town, right?) Terpfan, who are you? Anyone else wanna help me with a little decoding? Yeah I completely agree about not linking with Strava -- I was pretty blown away with how Strava knew stuff about me I didn't know myself....

A recently-added teammate for the Salty Dogs is the short answer. Long answer is a semi-active poster on here for a couple years. Folks on here helped me go from someone whom had ridden bikes, but never commuted to someone primarily commuting by bike. Teammate wise, I've met Kathy once before at a REI bike maintenance thing and maybe a few other folks at the happy hour two years ago for BAFS. I think this will be my third year.

reji
01-15-2016, 10:55 AM
OK so now I think I know who four of you are (reji I also met at the bar in G-town, right?)

Yep, I'm reji (aka Robyne). We met and chatted a bit. Hope to see you out on the trails sometime soon!

chris_s
01-15-2016, 11:01 AM

If I can get the munchkins out the door in time, we'll be at Best Buns for breakfast + ride to Port City.

sjclaeys
01-15-2016, 12:57 PM
It looks like the easiest way to handle going to Port City is to go with the group leaving from Best Buns in Shirlington. Unless someone objects, let's plan to meet there before the 10:00 departure, rather than at the Blumont caboose.

Cap'n Steve

kwarkentien
01-15-2016, 01:11 PM
See all you frenemies there!

pdubs
01-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Count me in for breakfast at best buns but not the pedals and pints ride. I may still stop by the brewery later to meet up, and there's a good chance that I will continue on from there to the 2 breweries in Newington, Fair Winds and Forge Brew Works. I probably won't make a firm decision until breakfast though. If anyone else is interested, they are welcome to join. -Nick

Nadine
01-15-2016, 05:16 PM
A recently-added teammate for the Salty Dogs is the short answer. Long answer is a semi-active poster on here for a couple years. Folks on here helped me go from someone whom had ridden bikes, but never commuted to someone primarily commuting by bike. Teammate wise, I've met Kathy once before at a REI bike maintenance thing and maybe a few other folks at the happy hour two years ago for BAFS. I think this will be my third year.
Cool.... Would you mind sharing a name, & however strava knows you? That'll help me connect what you say here with your physical self & rides recorded. 😆

Nadine
01-15-2016, 05:21 PM
The thumbs up thing seems to be a glitch in your computer. It works for me on my computer, on the browser on my phone, and on Tapatalk on my phone.

As to people's names, you really just have to ask them. We thought about doing a chart to link forum names and Strava names, but decided there were too many privacy concerns.
Hey thanks. You are right - I can thumbs up from my phone! Always glad when the computer issue is the computer's rather than mine... 😆

reji
01-15-2016, 06:51 PM
It looks like the easiest way to handle going to Port City is to go with the group leaving from Best Buns in Shirlington. Unless someone objects, let's plan to meet there before the 10:00 departure, rather than at the Blumont caboose.

Cap'n Steve

I'll see you there!

eoarl
01-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Sorry I couldn't join you for the Best Buns/Port City. I'm solo with the kiddos this weekend, so I'm shuttling to b'ball games and flamenco lessons and getting in a sleaze when I can.

KWL
01-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Sorry I couldn't join you for the Best Buns/Port City. I'm solo with the kiddos this weekend, so I'm shuttling to b'ball games and flamenco lessons and getting in a sleaze when I can.Don't bother with the sleaze ride. You don't need it.

Ken - Captain of Team 12.
(sorry you weren't at Port City...really)

kwarkentien
01-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Don't bother with the sleaze ride. You don't need it.

+1 You should rest up. No need to tax yourself with a sleaze ride.

Karen - Captain of Team 18.

Steve O
01-16-2016, 09:54 PM

Steve of team XX - Long time FS vet, so you should listen to my advice.

kwarkentien
01-17-2016, 06:07 AM
Thanks for participating in the unholy alliance ride. Now take some time off to relax! 😎

sjclaeys
01-17-2016, 08:43 AM
Thanks for participating in the unholy alliance ride. Now take some time off to relax! ��

Thanks for leading us there from Shirlington. You looked tired. You should really rest.

Terpfan
01-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Cool.... Would you mind sharing a name, & however strava knows you? That'll help me connect what you say here with your physical self & rides recorded. ��
Actually I have it as TerpFan on Strava because in year's past it got confusing to connect user handles to names. Not that it matters, but name is Bryan. I should show up on our team's Strava page although only near-sleazy rides this weekend. And i'm shuttering to think if I will be able to get any rides in next week if the early 2-3' of snow forecasts are right. (But that's also the one time to seize sleazy points by trying if the plow comes through).

eoarl
01-19-2016, 10:44 PM
Lying in bed at 11:25. My wife has told me to turn off the phone or sleep on the couch. I've been distracted by the coming storm. I suddenly am wide awake and say that I haven't ridden today. I get out of bed, try to find some warm clothes in the dark and my wife says "You sleaze" as I leave the room. 13 minutes later the ride is done.

This is what Freezing Saddles is to me.

sjclaeys
02-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Hey Team 14 Salty Dogs, did you know that we are #1? While our points total keeps us in the mid-teens, we are by far the lead team in sleaze rides! As of now, we have 86 sleaze rides, way more than second place Team 8 with 68 sleaze rides. Powering us to this level of sleaze is Eric O, who leads Freezing Saddles for individual sleaze rides with 22. Dino T is also a big contributor, ranking number 8 individually with 14 sleaze rides. All of these stats can be found on the Freezing Saddles website here - http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_various and here - http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various. Keep up the good work. If can get more sleaze rides from more team members, then we should also go up in the overall standings!

Terpfan
02-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Hey Team 14 Salty Dogs, did you know that we are #1? While our points total keeps us in the mid-teens, we are by far the lead team in sleaze rides! As of now, we have 86 sleaze rides, way more than second place Team 8 with 68 sleaze rides. Powering us to this level of sleaze is Eric O, who leads Freezing Saddles for individual sleaze rides with 22. Dino T is also a big contributor, ranking number 8 individually with 14 sleaze rides. All of these stats can be found on the Freezing Saddles website here - http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_various and here - http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_various. Keep up the good work. If can get more sleaze rides from more team members, then we should also go up in the overall standings!

So are you saying I should go back to sleaze rides....

Haha. I mean, there was a dead bird right next to my bike lock this morning. It's probably still there. It could be a Godfather-like sign from another team, or, more likely, just a dead bird.

sjclaeys
02-01-2016, 04:51 PM
So are you saying I should go back to sleaze rides....

Haha. I mean, there was a dead bird right next to my bike lock this morning. It's probably still there. It could be a Godfather-like sign from another team, or, more likely, just a dead bird.

Oh no, please ride on. I think that a dead bird is a good luck sign. Plus, less chance of bird poop on your bike (and mine).

Terpfan
02-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Oh no, please ride on. I think that a dead bird is a good luck sign. Plus, less chance of bird poop on your bike (and mine).

The best part is that it's still there. But great point on the bird poop. I wouldn't even see the crap on mine per my bike and saddle color, yet I've definitely sat in it before.

sjclaeys
02-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Team 12 is hosting an all teams happy hour Friday at Capital City Brewing in Shirlington. Info is below. I will try to stop by.

"The happy hour for Team 12, friends, and soon-to-be-friends will take place this Friday evening 5 February 2016. Please join us from 6 pm onward at Capitol City Brewing Company in Shirlington. Our prior HH got snowed out, but this Friday will be sunny in the 40s, practically Mediterranean. All teams are welcome. Please let us know if you can make it. w&w"

Rockford10
02-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Hey Salty Dogs - any interest in a happy hour or meet up this weekend? Friday or Saturday evening? I was thinking Clare and Don's in Falls Church might be a good location for our bunch.

reji
02-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Hey Salty Dogs - any interest in a happy hour or meet up this weekend? Friday or Saturday evening? I was thinking Clare and Don's in Falls Church might be a good location for our bunch.

I'm interested! I have plans Saturday evening, but am otherwise available and flexible.

sjclaeys
02-24-2016, 02:20 PM
I'd love to but have parents in town this weekend for my daughter's play. Party "hearty" Salty Dogs!

camiller
02-24-2016, 09:16 PM

I am interested. Friday is not good for me. Saturday should work for me depending upon the planned time as I have an afternoon commitment.

Nadine
02-24-2016, 10:23 PM

Well you sure got my number given the menu on your venue.... I vote for that place, though it looks like no alcohol. I think I'm free most of Saturday, except for hanging with my husband and riding my bike. Saturday late afternoon or evening work best for me, but I'd try to make it so Robynne can make it too.

pdubs
02-25-2016, 12:18 PM
I can do Friday after 530. I'm not so sure about Saturday.

Arlingtonrider
02-25-2016, 12:36 PM
I just saw this and can do Friday or Saturday. Love Clare and Don's!

Rockford10
02-25-2016, 12:44 PM
It looks like pirates have busy schedules!

Anyway, Friday looks like a better day for the most folks. Anyone else want to chime in?

pdubs
02-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Update: I can do either day.

Dino
02-25-2016, 01:18 PM
I have plans for saturday. Friday pm might work for me but not 100% sure.

Rockford10
02-25-2016, 01:36 PM
I'm calling this: Friday starting at 5:00 at Clare and Don's in Falls Church. It's easy to get to off the W&OD in Falls Church and they have a good beach menu. Bike parking is slightly non-existent, but I've never actually had a problem. Beach cruisers are not required.

Friends and family are welcome, as are other teams (but could be subject to trash talk)!

Arlingtonrider
02-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Thanks for organizing this! I'm in.

reji
02-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Sounds great - see you tomorrow at 5:00!

Steve O
02-26-2016, 08:55 AM
Friends and family are welcome, as are other teams (but could be subject to trash talk)!

Think anyone will still be there at 7:30? If so, I will appear late and bear some trash talking. If Rockford brings that guy with her, I still owe him a beer.

Rockford10
02-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Think anyone will still be there at 7:30? If so, I will appear late and bear some trash talking. If Rockford brings that guy with her, I still owe him a beer.

I heard he might have instructed his team to crash the Happy Hour...

Nadine
02-27-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm calling this: Friday starting at 5:00 at Clare and Don's in Falls Church. It's easy to get to off the W&OD in Falls Church and they have a good beach menu. Bike parking is slightly non-existent, but I've never actually had a problem. Beach cruisers are not required.

I'm so bummed. The meet-up was at exactly the right time for me and I was really interested, but I just can't get it on my radar to check here..... So I found out I'd missed it when I saw Nick's strava comment....