PDA

View Full Version : FSSB(16) 1 - Finders Keepers -- Round 1 (NAME TO BE ANNOUNCED)

Mikey
01-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Well you have made it through the first week of Freezing Saddles, the first real blast of cold air, and in a few hours you will find out who your best friends are (for the next 72 days at least). Announcing the first of this year's official reindeer games - known around the DMV as the Freezing Saddles Side Bet. This year's first challenge is both an individual and team challenge that is built around the idea of a Geo Cache. But since it tends to be a bad idea to purposely leave items in public areas in DC (at best littering, at worst terrorism and espionage) this will be a virtual game - with virtual prize tokens, but real rides in the real cold by real people. . . okay here is how it will work(it will become clear as we play and I'm here to help things along). . .

For the first stage of the challenge, I have virtually "placed" tokens at 4 sites around the Washington DC area. There will be a themed clue that identifies the places in question. To collect the virtual token riders must guess where the places are, and go there by bike. Once they are there the rider(s) must take a (clear) photo of the location (with their bike in the picture) and post it in this forum thread with a caption for the photo that includes

1) the name of the place, 2) the round name, and 3) your Freezing Saddles Name (first name last initial or equivalent).

If the photo is correct and acceptable. I will announce it on the forum and send the winner a virtual token via a forum private message. But hold on, there's more. Once a token is awarded it is able to be stolen!!! This is where the teamwork comes in. To steal a token a player from a different team-aka "the attacker" -merely needs to track down that rider (token "defender") and request it from them. Strava tracking is encouraged. Kind of like the game Assassin, once you win a token everyone will be looking to get you. If someone approaches you from the forum, greets you warmly, and requests your token, you are required to virtually "hand" it over. You do this by taking a photo of your encounter including the bike of the attacker in the picture and posting it on the forum with the name of the token (original place name which will be on the token), the round name, and the Freezing Saddles Name of the attacker (see above). The defender then sends the token to the attacker via forum PM.

"But how can my team help me?" you ask. Well, a steal can be prevented if the possessor of the token (defender) has backup. That is, if an attacker approaches the token defender attempting to steal the token but the defender is riding with a wingman, or wingmen or wing-persons from his/her team then the steal is blocked. And if the defending team has more people in their posse then the attacker and the attacker has a token as well(from that round) then the defender can steal all of the attacker's tokens in a counter-theft. That is, in a token steal attempt with multiple riders, any and all active tokens held within the group go to the team with the most players present at the steal. If there is an equal number of players on each team the token(s) go(es) to the attacker.

Tokens will be traded until one person possesses all 4 of them from a single round and posts them in this thread. At that time the tokens are locked inactive and the round is over. A new set of 4 tokens will be distributed and the new clue and deadline will be issued. If we reach the deadline without all 4 tokens in one place the winner is the one with the most tokens.

I will announce and post the first round clue and deadline at the initial happy hour tonight!

Additional rules -

1. Tokens can be traded among team members via PM only once per possession (to collect them into a single holder to post on the thread; if stolen, tokens can be recollected again later, once). No last second token trading to keep them away from attackers. i.e. If I try to hide my token by moving it to a teammate who only rides in the distant suburbs, then that rider is the one who has to find the rest of the tokens.

2 I, Mikey, am the game master and as such cannot find the hidden tokens. Once the tokens are found, though, I can and will try to steal them from others.

3. Token Miners - those who find them hidden, and those who steal them "Token Thieves" shall include in the photo a picture of their bike to assist others in tracking them down.

4. In a team-steal the token goes to the player on the team that has the most tokens for that round. - Token magnetism - they attract each other

5. The round will continue until all 4 tokens are held by one owner, or the set deadline of the round - which ever comes first.

6. The token is awarded to the person who posts the photo first, not the first person at the site - this goes for steals too. Victims of steals must assume that they retain the token until the evidence of the theft is posted. For example If I own a token, and some one attempts a steal at 5:30 pm on my way home, we take the photo, exchange hand shakes etc. Then at 5:45 pm I run into a second person who attempts a steal, I continue to act as if I have the token. The token goes to the thief who posts first. Some leniency will be allowed for person's running late and not being able to stop for a photo, but it needs to be clear that a steal occurred.

7. There will be situations that I haven't thought of yet. As game master I will make the judgment call but will do so in a manner to not improve my standing in the game.

8. To play this game token holders must not hide their strava ride tracks. If you keep all of your ride tracks hidden, then you can't hold a token although you can be part of the possee.

9. Players need not be on the bike to steal or have their token's stolen. Happy Hours, and social gatherings are great places to steal or defend a token.

10. This game is played in the real world but also on the forum. Photos posted on the forum in this thread signify an attempt to secure or steal the token. Not all photos will be correct, There could be multiple acceptable answers for each virtual clue - again the game master has final authority.

11. Since steals have to be posted on the forum to count, a token defender can't just steal back the token from the attacker in the same encounter. i.e. no tag-backs rule. No steal-backs with-in the same day. Also to ensure token transferability, token defenders must send the token via private message within a reasonable amount of time. No whining. No Sulking

12. Tokens have no monetary value and by definition are pointless. Don't let token defense come in the way of enjoying a good happy hour or coffee club. It's all part of the fun!

Mikey
01-07-2016, 06:04 PM
In previous years I had you looking for Presidents. This first round has you doing the opposite. your four mystery tokens are "hidden" at 4 sites. Each site is
1) Within the National Mall and Monument Park - South of Constitution, West of the Capitol, Including East and West Potomac Parks Northwest of I-395 and West of the Potomac River.
2) is a monument to a single person who was never POTUS.

The round name is #NotPresident
remember to include the name of the monument, your Freezing Saddles name (first name, last initial or equivalent) and a photo of the site with your bike. Post in this round's forum thread

the deadline for this challenge is 11:59:59 pm on Thursday 1/21 and Go!

Mikey
01-07-2016, 10:45 PM
So if the rules were too confusing, all you have to do is go out and take a photo of a monument on the national mall and monument park that is not for a president, and include in the photo your bike. Then post here with your name and the name of the site. Then we can worry about steals.

komorebi
01-08-2016, 09:33 AM
I'll play!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1606/24142892902_21a2221882_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CMqCWb)
20160108_074841 (https://flic.kr/p/CMqCWb)

1. John Paul Jones Memorial
2. #NotPresident
3. Komorebi L

I have not yet begun to fight.

Mikey
01-08-2016, 09:49 AM
JPJ is won! Token is en-route. Track down Komorebi if you want to steal it.

DismalScientist
01-08-2016, 05:33 PM
I would like to thank Komorebi for bringing her newly acquired JPJ token from round #NotPresident to me at work. Here are our bikes:

My bike is a white '70s Fuji converted into a fixie (at least for now).

Mikey
01-08-2016, 05:37 PM
I would like to thank Komorebi for bringing her newly acquired JPJ token from round #NotPresident to me at work. Here are our bikes:

My bike is a white '70s Fuji converted into a fixie (at least for now).

Nice steal Mark W. Is your fs name right?

komorebi
01-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Nice steal Mark W. Is your fs name right?

Yes, Dismal is Mark W. And I made that waaay too easy for him. Clearly, I will have to be more devious in the future.

DismalScientist
01-08-2016, 07:39 PM
I see no rule forbidding the mining of multiple token at a time, so here goes:
First the obvious:

Martin Luther King memorial
#NotPresident
DismalScientist

DismalScientist
01-08-2016, 07:43 PM
Second, the father of sharrows on uphill roads:
George Mason Memorial
#NotPresident
DismalScientist

DismalScientist
01-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Lastly, the father of the metal navy,

John Ericsson Memorial
#NotPresident
DismalScientist

Mikey
01-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Well Played, you got all 4! Here are your tokens. First round is closed.

That one was intentionally easy. Then next few will be harder.