PDA

View Full Version : Brünø's Big Bad Coffee Challenge Pointless Prize (#3)

Brünø Moore
01-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Are your hearts racing? Are you sweating with anticipation, your reflexes sharpened, on the edge of awareness? Does the world seem brighter, more lively, the gloom of life held at bay, like you want to ride yer bike, take over the world, or even, God forbid, run?

Welcome to the long-threatened Coffee Challenge. For those of you who thought #coffeeneuring was fun...well, actually, it was fun. But if that was a nice easy spin in the countryside on an sunny autumn's day, this...well, this is Freezing Saddles. Autumn's over. This is Where the Trail Ends (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSmK0MDxSw), eXtreme Downhill Caffeine Action, when the winter wind whips fiercely, and the rules are...well, where we're going, we won't need rules.

There are a few parts to this. Subchallenges, if you will. Will they each be important? Sure. Are they equally important? Probably not. Are there secret criteria that only I know about that I'll be using for judging? Eh, probably—well, actually, not even I know those criteria yet, they're that secret. Mostly, the more interesting or weird the challenge, the more madcap the adventure, the more you chat with baristas, bicyclists, and bicycling baristas, the more you'll probably find the Point of the challenge. Yes, you can probably tick multiple boxes at the same time; that too might be part of the Point.

Let's pull some shots!

Preamble: the No Starbucks rule
Except for challenge items that specifically call for visiting a Starbucks, no visits to Starbucks count.

Part 1: Diner black
Straight and simple and unpretentious: tick the boxes, tally the points.
1 point per coffee shop
1 point per roastery tried
1 point per roastery visited
1 point for each brewing method or drink
1 point per region tried
Clarifications: multiple locations of local shops count as individual shops. "Roastery tried" means that you drink coffee from a roastery, even if it's not at the roastery—so while Intelligentsia may be roasted in Chicago, you can find it served here. "Region" can get pretty specific pretty quickly; ideally, some specific, identifiable region smaller than just a country. So, for instance, "Ethiopia" would not be a region; "Sidamo" would be. "Hawaii" would not be a region; "Ka'u" would be.

Part 2: washed process Ka'u

It's hard to find, but Really Really Good: find (and try!) these things:

—Try coffee prepared in a French press, a pourover, an immersion brewer, an aeropress, nitro cold brew, a siphon, a Moka pot, a jebena, an ibrik, and, of course, an espresso machine
—Drink something roasted by Ceremony, Counter Culture, Stumptown, Madcap, Intelligentsia, Zeke's, Vigilante, MESCO, and/or Qualia...but somewhere other than their roasteries.
—Find Kopi Luwak, Jamaican Blue Mountain, Kona, Ka'u, and Geisha
—Find something made from beans aged in a liquor barrel
—Attend a tea ceremony (cha no yu)
—Find somewhere that serves coffee or tea out of handmade ceramics
—Get diner black from a legit diner.
—There aren't many farmers' markets left, but those that do probably have coffee. Try some.
—Try the following: coffee from Rwanda, Burundi, and the United States; Las Serranias Columbian; cascara tea; a blend whose beans came from three different continents; single origin espresso; a blend with the same bean roasted to two different points (a melange); coffee grown by someone whose name is known by the person serving it
—Pet the shopcat or shopdog
—If the barista biked to work, meet their bike
—If a restaurant or shop has a "private label" blend made just for them by a roastery, try it
—Take part in an Ethiopian coffee ceremony one Sunday
—Find: something named for the person who discovered coffee; a living coffee plant; and a Chris King espresso tamper
—Attend as many different coffee clubs as possible. Good luck hitting both Vienna and College Park.

Part 3: Cappuccino

It's the perfect combinations that make these:

—Maxwell's the barista at Baked Joint who got me hooked on Penrose espresso; try one yourself
—I've talked about Amanda at Slipstream before; whatever she recommends, you should try
—Vigilante's amazing, but whatever's at the top of the menu is Something Special. If Chris is in, say hey.
—Sarah and I used to haul the WABAtrailers back when; nowadays, she's behind the stick at Peregrine Union Market. Their monthly specials are pretty much always the thing to get.
—It's always a Good Day when you get the BIG French press at Qualia
—CoD Roulette at MESCO is a game you can't loose
—The Potter's House is one of my personal favorite places. Get a coffee for yourself, and pay one forward for someone else
—Second best use of a CaBi key fob: the discounts at Teaism. Take a CaBi to one for Golden Monkey and mandelbrot...or a packet of Guranse
—It's a tad civilized, but always fun: Tie Guan Yin at Georgetown's Ching Ching Cha, just off the towpath, on the cushions at the low tables.
—Comrades! The Revolution needs ice cream! Grab a coffee at the Maryland Food Coop and a cone at the Dairy
—The more I try to find out exactly what it is, the less I can actually tell you wnat a "flat white" is actually supposed to be...other than whatever Killer ESP gives you whenever you ask for one with your pie.
—Where'd this coffee thing start, anyway? A rare (for me) short story: a French press of Yrgacheffe at Misha's.

Part 4: Redeye Gravy
Does that even count as coffee? I mean, I know someone who made a signature drink riffing on it once, but really?

Welcome to the Funzone.

—Ride a Kona to drink some Kona
—Visit the VeloOrange showroom on a ride out to Ceremony's roastery (or vice-versa)
—Make the trip from Vigilante's roastery to Cafe Kindred (or vice-versa). I don't know if Vigilante will let you deliver beans to Kindred, though.
—Look Civilized enough after your ride to hit the siphon bar at Maketto. Or confident enough to pull off the "cyclist at a boutique" schtick. Either or.
—Hit the Davenport, Midnight Mug, and Maryland Food Collective at some point or other during the season.
—Find the Bianchi outside of Zeke's
—Actually stop for free coffee! Free pastries! at Trail Ranger Coffee second Friday of the month. Unless you're handing them out. Double points for you.
—Find a shop with bikes in it. Bikes that aren't yours.
—Find shops that let you take your bikes in with you.
—#coffeeoutside
—#teoutside—but bonus points if you can score the pagoda in the Arboretum
—Drink coffee at all 3 MESCO locations in one ride
—What's Mandarin for "palpitations?" Hit up Baked Joint, La Colombe Chinatown, Chinatown Coffee, and the Chinatown Starbucks in one ride...sticking to espresso or cold brew
—On the list of "stupid things Brünø's always wanted to do:" order a pourover at the Vigilante stand at Eastern Market on a weekend. Run across the street to Piatango, have them start an affogato (if you go the hot chocolate route, get the hazelnut or gianduja). Dash next door, grab a coffee from Peregrine. If you time it all juuust right, they should all finish at the same time. Celebrate at Bourbon when you pull it off.
—Organize a team event at "The Chinatown Starbucks on (X date) at (Y time)." That's it. No other information or coordination. Good Luck.
—Start a ride at Killer ESP, finish it at Misha's (or vice-versa).
—Have a cuppa Joe with Joe—coffee with the Veep
—It's pretty well known that MESCO used to supply the White House. For security reasons, they can't tell us if this is true any more. So we at BAFS need a mole: someone who can try the White House coffee and tell us if they've found someone new (or, if not, which blend the Leader of the Free World drinks). No, you can't ask, they can't tell you, you can't tell us. You have to drink it.
—Yeah, I'm a recovering metaphysician. Ceremony's Hegel reference blends (Thesis, Antithesis, and Archetype) amuse me more than they should, as does the story behind why Qualia is "Qualia." So, a philosophical question: in what sense would it be possible for you to combine a Hegelblend with a cup of Qualia within the scope of a single ride?
—Forget Rule 9, do you know Rule 56? More importantly, does your barista? Find someone who knows what a macchiato is and can make a good one
—Find a good coffee stop directly off the bike path
—Get coffee for your favorite bike shop. Self serving? Me? Never.

Part 5: Bali Blue Krishna
I think I had it once—maybe when Zeke's first opened? I've forgotten what it was like, though. Think it was good. I've forgotten, or never had, or never been to a lot of things. Heck, there are things that I want to put on this list (how'd I make it through without any mention of Big Bear? That's my main landmark on R Street!) that somehow escaped it. That's where you come in. Convince me that I'm wrong about something. That I left something out. That something I clearly love is overrated. That something I didn't consider is worth thinking about. That there's some shop I've never heard of I HAVE to go visit. That there's some one coffee you found that you can't believe didn't make it on the challenge.
Look. There's no way anyone could complete all of this challenge in one season. I couldn't. There are things on here I've never tried, never done. Heck, some of those weird coffees I mentioned are $10 a cup—you'd go broke if you tried to complete all of these this winter! However, total completion isn't the point. Trying weird, new things? That's closer to it. I'm a bit sad I'm missing out on weird and new.
So find something for me. Compel me.

Happy drinking, everyone.

Mayhemnsuz
01-02-2016, 06:18 AM
What a great list. This is going to be fun. Thanks for the caffe-inspiration! I wish there were a 'clinking coffee mugs' icon available right now. Here's my first coffee stop @ Baked and Wired. Took CaBi, so sadly, no bike in photo. 10328

Steve O
01-03-2016, 02:12 PM
I am ashamed to admit that I do not understand all the rules perfectly. However, I believe this cup of coffee I bought at Toby's Ice Cream and Coffee in Westover this morning is worth some amount of points.

ShawnoftheDread
01-03-2016, 04:52 PM
I am ashamed to admit that I do not understand all the rules perfectly.]

I'm kind of glad I don't.

KelOnWheels
01-03-2016, 07:46 PM

Stumptown!

Brünø Moore
01-03-2016, 08:38 PM
I am ashamed to admit that I do not understand all the rules perfectly. However, I believe this cup of coffee I bought at Toby's Ice Cream and Coffee in Westover this morning is worth some amount of points.

Oh my. I hadn't heard that Rare Bird had opened. I'm going to have to visit them now. Yup, part 5 points for you, whatever they're worth.

The only Rule that matters (well, subject to bribery or flattery) is the Starbucks rule. Most of the items in parts 1 (the boring, typical challenge bit) and 2 (the "try everything!" bit) can be ticked off if you look at parts 3 and 4 as the real challenge. Part 3 is kinda my secret coffee guide, the people, places, and things I'll bike across town for. Part 4 is just me being nuts, things that would make for memorable rides, and likely a few stories. Part 5 is just me trying to find new coffee, people, and places, as well as a chance to find out how I'm Wrong.

vvill
01-03-2016, 09:47 PM
I like coffee but clearly not as much as you. I am pretty confused with these rules to be honest though.

accordioneur
01-05-2016, 02:59 PM
OK, so on Saturday I rode (https://www.strava.com/activities/461531426) a loop from my house to an artisinal, small batch local roaster - otherwise known as my house. While still wearing my bike gear I roasted two pounds of beans (one of Columbian, one of Papua New Guinea). I roasted them to what is often called a "City Roast", but since I live in Arlington I have to refer to it as a "County Roast". Once the beans cooled I brewed a sample in a Clever Dripper (https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/abid/clever) (a hybrid between French Press and Drip) and enjoyed a nice fresh cup.

Note that compared to the stated rules: (Part 1): A only kinda visited a roastery since it was my house, (Part 2) I brewed the coffee using a method that wasn't on the list, (Part 4) Roasted but didn't drink the #coffeeoutside. Also, I used different varieties of coffee than any specified in the challenge. And last, my name doesn't require a UTF character set. Since I was true to the spirit of the challenge, even I didn't exactly follow any of the rules I deserve at least 2.718 points.

lordofthemark
01-05-2016, 03:25 PM
I like coffee but clearly not as much as you. I am pretty confused with these rules to be honest though.

I am going to focus on just one, about trying the different approaches to preparation.

Try coffee prepared in a French press, a pourover, an immersion brewer, an aeropress, nitro cold brew, a siphon, a Moka pot, a jebena, an ibrik, and, of course, an espresso machine

Which of these, other than the espresso, is the most "must know about"? I am guessing French press?

Brünø Moore
01-05-2016, 09:09 PM
I am going to focus on just one, about trying the different approaches to preparation.

Try coffee prepared in a French press, a pourover, an immersion brewer, an aeropress, nitro cold brew, a siphon, a Moka pot, a jebena, an ibrik, and, of course, an espresso machine

Which of these, other than the espresso, is the most "must know about"? I am guessing French press?

French press is my fave of those I've tried; some of the real coffee nuts (yes, there's much, much worse than me) will tell you that siphon brewers give you a more nuanced flavor, but I suspect the real appeal is drinking from something that looks like it came straight from a mad scientist's lab.

Brünø Moore
01-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Note that compared to the stated rules: (Part 1): A only kinda visited a roastery since it was my house, (Part 2) I brewed the coffee using a method that wasn't on the list, (Part 4) Roasted but didn't drink the #coffeeoutside. Also, I used different varieties of coffee than any specified in the challenge. And last, my name doesn't require a UTF character set. Since I was true to the spirit of the challenge, even I didn't exactly follow any of the rules I deserve at least 2.718 points.

1. Coffee was roasted, and that's really cool. It counts.
2. Clever dripper : immersion brewer :: Bodum : French press. Totally counts (and is what I use day-in-day-out)
3. #coffeeoutside is a little weird; most of the pictures you see are of people making it outside, brewing it outside, and only one of drinking it outside. You know what, I think it counts.
4. You're sure you don't want to be "Åç¢ø®∂îøñéür? Really sure? Oh, fine, okay.
5. You get Part 5 points for home roasted badassery.
6. e is boring, and not enough points. For adherence to the spirit (and, unknowingly, the letter) of the rules, I award you kudos and 2φ (3.236) points.

Amalitza
01-06-2016, 08:32 AM
OK, so on Saturday I rode (https://www.strava.com/activities/461531426) a loop from my house to an artisinal, small batch local roaster - otherwise known as my house.

—Find somewhere that serves coffee or tea out of handmade ceramics

Hmmm…
So, let’s say I go for a bike ride and end up at an establishment (ahem, my house) that serves coffee and tea in ceramics handmade by the proprietor (myself), (though not on site), where I have some perfectly ordinary Mr. Coffee drip brewed coffee served in a handmade ceramic mug. Or some tea made by the perfectly ordinary method of tea leaves in hot water in a (handmade ceramic) tea pot, and served in a handmade ceramic tea cup? Could I get any points?

Does it matter if a bike was used to ride to and from the pottery studio in which the ceramics are made, and the ceramics were then transported to the establishment on a bike?

What if my teammates (whoever they are) ride their bikes to my house and I serve them all perfectly ordinary coffee in handmade ceramic mugs, or I meet them somewhere else for coffee, with the mugs?

What if I ride my bike to the pottery studio, where I make my own pourover funnel (this, correct? http://www.amazon.com/Hario-VDC-02W-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper/dp/B000P4D5HG ), transport it to my house on a bike, and make coffee in it? That HAS to be worth some points, right? Note: I have not yet made one of these, so the entire production process would be done during the Freezing Saddles time period.

PS, if any more of these things,

—Try coffee prepared in a French press, a pourover, an immersion brewer, an aeropress, nitro cold brew, a siphon, a Moka pot, a jebena, an ibrik, and, of course, an espresso machine
whatever they are, could be handmade out of ceramics, I would be willing to give those a try as well.

Brünø Moore
01-06-2016, 09:06 AM
It's all in the spirit of the thing, not the letter—as is probably kinda clear by now, I care @#$% all about the letter. Creativity and a certain degree of nuttiness count for a lot.

So yes, handmade ceramics count, especially if they were bikecarried (still trying to figure out how to make that one work myself). Just be warned that my tastes in ceramics run distinctly Momoyama Period with Northern Pueblo for spice, and I have a very, very soft spot for all things wood fired—one of my anagama-fired teapots is basically dedicated to brewing Guranse. You might want to have a teammate with a CaBi membership grab a packet (it's surprisingly inexpensive for Propertea...but practically being given away for something mind-blowingly awesome). If nothing else, you'll have Specialteapotworthy tea with your compadres—and that's worth more than any points I can hand out.

Do it for the points, and you'll die by the points. Do it for the adventure, and the rest will take care of itself.

As for those weird brewing methods—pourover cones are usually made out of slip-cast porcelain or metal. I've tried making one before (I cut too large of a drain hole, so it didn't work), and I'm really surprised I don't see more. A jebena is traditionally made out of unglazed earthenware. Most of the others are glass and metal, though if you can find a way to make a ceramic espresso machine...

worktheweb
01-06-2016, 09:27 AM

My favorite method at home and at work is the Aeropress. It makes delicious coffee, is pretty cheap, and easy to use. Nitro cold brew is also something worth trying, kind of like a Guinness with the cascading "waterfall" and a delightful and unique smoothness.

Brünø Moore
01-06-2016, 09:31 AM
My favorite method at home and at work is the Aeropress. It makes delicious coffee, is pretty cheap, and easy to use. Nitro cold brew is also something worth trying, kind of like a Guinness with the cascading "waterfall" and a delightful and unique smoothness.

There's also a reason why the nitro from next door has acquired the sobriquet "rocket fuel" among the staff at Bikeyspace. It's really delicious, really smooth...and packs a hefty punch. They'll make you an ice cream float with the stuff, which is pretty awesome.

Amalitza
01-06-2016, 09:47 AM
It's all in the spirit of the thing, not the letter—as is probably kinda clear by now, I care @#$% all about the letter. Creativity and a certain degree of nuttiness count for a lot.

So yes, handmade ceramics count, especially if they were bikecarried (still trying to figure out how to make that one work myself). Just be warned that my tastes in ceramics run distinctly Momoyama Period with Northern Pueblo for spice, and I have a very, very soft spot for all things wood fired—one of my anagama-fired teapots is basically dedicated to brewing Guranse. You might want to have a teammate with a CaBi membership grab a packet (it's surprisingly inexpensive for Propertea...but practically being given away for something mind-blowingly awesome). If nothing else, you'll have Specialteapotworthy tea with your compadres—and that's worth more than any points I can hand out.

Do it for the points, and you'll die by the points. Do it for the adventure, and the rest will take care of itself.

As for those weird brewing methods—pourover cones are usually made out of slip-cast porcelain or metal. I've tried making one before (I cut too large of a drain hole, so it didn't work), and I'm really surprised I don't see more. A jebena is traditionally made out of unglazed earthenware. Most of the others are glass and metal, though if you can find a way to make a ceramic espresso machine...

Well, I didn't mean I carried them on the bike with coffee (or other liquids) in them...

I have plenty of wood-fired pieces, (they are by far my favorite also), including a new coffee mug and six teacups just fired on Sunday, (will unload this weekend and see how they come out). It's way too late to make something now and wood fire it before end of this year's freezing saddles so this hypothetical pourover funnel will have to be electric (or maybe gas) fired.

Jebena looks interesting and challenging. We will see...

... (I will just get right to work on that espresso machine) ...

And you mean it's not ALL ABOUT THE POINTS?!?

shardg
01-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Rode from Lake Ridge to Manassas to grab a cup, good cup of Sumatra with an excellent chocolate chip cookie.

Steve O
01-06-2016, 06:03 PM
So I get at least one point for #teaoutside.
African tea chai latte made from maccha (sp?) according to the server. Didn't know where in Africa.
A million bonus points for the latte art.
Also, forgot to mention, if there are points for distance from DC, this little place is in West Hollywood, Los Angeles.

Kitty
01-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Just be warned that my tastes in ceramics run distinctly Momoyama Period with Northern Pueblo for spice, and I have a very, very soft spot for all things wood fired—one of my anagama-fired teapots is basically dedicated to brewing Guranse.

Two questions:

Are you speaking of the ostentatious imported Chinese pieces used in the early part of the Momoyama period as symbols of conspicuous wealth? Or of the rustic wabi-sabi aesthetic that developed in the mid/late Momoyama period? ;)

How does one prove points earned? Just post about it here with photos?

Steve O
01-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Andante Coffee Roasters on Beverly in Los Angeles.
Jake with their roasting machine

Jake doing the pourover of my Ethiopean Yirgacheffe region, roasted and ground on-site, glass mug of coffee

My coffee with an almond croissant

387 points. I think.

lordofthemark
01-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Two questions:

Are you speaking of the ostentatious imported Chinese pieces used in the early part of the Momoyama period as symbols of conspicuous wealth? Or of the rustic wabi-sabi aesthetic that developed in the mid/late Momoyama period? ;)

This one I think will be a bit like a game of Mornington Crescent.

Brünø Moore
01-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Two questions:

I read Chanoyu Quarterly and am mourning the closure of gallery 6A in the Freer (the "tea room" gallery that Louise A. Cort always devoted to Japanese ceramics with a hanging scroll in the tokonoma). My tastes run distinctly Omotosenke. My Urasenke-certified Bikeyspace colleague and I chat about aesthetics. I'm still trying to score some legit Iga or Shigaraki wood-fired ware. Better believe it's the late stuff.

Photos are nice, but I really don't suspect people of cheating. I mean, if you can describe a washed process Sidamo espresso well enough to pull one over on me, you're probably not the kind of person who'd pass up actually drinking one. Heck, if you're the kind of person who'd lie about riding a bike, you're probably not on this forum. Photos are nice, but if you feel kinda weird about taking pictures of your coffee (yes, I still do), there's no need. Just describe it well, what you liked, what you didn't, etc.

Brünø Moore
01-07-2016, 09:11 PM
SteveO: dig the Yirg napkin. So...a coffeeshop that roasts its own with a new region? All five part 1 points, one Part 2 point, and a Spirit of the Competition/Pastrybonus nebulous appreciation.

Steve O
01-09-2016, 07:28 PM
More points for me:

Friday at a new shop: Coffee Commissary on Fairfax in West Hollywood
Roaster: Temple from Sacramento, CA
Coffee: Mata de Minas from Brazil

Saturday shop: Stir Crazy on Melrose
Coffee was totally ordinary - nothing to report there.

Boomer2U
01-10-2016, 11:55 PM
My riding buddy Quentin and I had two slightly different Chai lattes at Cafe Kindred in Falls Church this morning.
I don't know where the Chai was from, nor how it was processed. It was prepared mysteriously and out of sight, and further miraculously showed up at our table when it was ready. I had mine with Almond milk; he had his with whole milk. It came with a sugar cookie and seltzer water (to cleanse the pallet). It was all good and very tasty.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160111/98475f3204730bcc121dcec07fb11864.jpg

Boomer2U
01-11-2016, 08:11 AM
This morning I had some home brewed coffee from a local roaster, Zeke's

The coffee: Gunpowder Espresso is a five bean espresso blend, twice roasted in the traditional Southern Italian style. One of the darkest roasts that I've found around, it is a combination of Indonesian, Central and South American beans with a bold flavor, low acidity, and a sweet, smoky finish.

The preparation: I used my Krups espresso machine that I bought used but not abused at the local Unique Thrift store for $12. I prepared it latte style, with unsweetened Almond milk. I sprinkled some cinnamon on top just because, and spiked it with honey from across the street since my neighbor's bees pollenate my flowers and drink out of my fish pond, so we have a symbiotic relationship (and I get honey out of it). My seasonal allergies have effectively subsided since I started taking daily dosages of my neighbor's honey.

I drank my coffee inside the comfort of my home because the real feel was 17 F this morning and even the dog didn't want to go outside.

But I rode my bike to/fro the Farmer's market where the coffee was purchsed, so yes, the grounds were transported by bike before being brewed.

Update:
I now see that you need to self assign points, so I've read them thrice, and here is my accounting:

Coffee from local roastery: 1 point

Consuming local roast in a locale other than the roastery: 1 point

Brew method: esspresso: 1 point (but I think that frothed Almond milk merits another point)

Drank from handmade ceramic mug: 1 point

Beans from 3 continents: 1 point

I petted both my cat and dog while drinking my coffee: 2 points

Purchased at local farmers mkt: 1 pt

Rode bike to/fro farmer's mkt: 1 pt

Spiked with neighbor's honey from bees that pollenate and drink water from my garden: 1 point

Total: 10 points (without quibbling over frothed milk)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160111/09f928fd79f4ff00a165f52f2d2d6e0f.jpg

Brünø Moore
01-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Just because I'm disqualified doesn't mean I'm not going to take part in my own challenge...

It's not on their menu yet (heard about it on their facebook page), but Vigilante just started serving a single-origin Kenyan from the Gitura (https://www.32cup.com/coffee/gitura-aa/) washing station. Not as dense or fruity as some of the Ethiopians I was finding during #coffeeneuring this year—a bit more subtle, less intense, sweeter—but still having a nice "twang" at the end. Pairs well with Elly Blue essays on bicycling feminism.

So: 1 point for each Part 1 category; 1 point each for specifically finding espresso/Vigilante; 1 for single origin espresso; 1 for the houseplants; 1 for petting the shopdog; and 1 for getting to wish Chris (who brought said shopdog) a happy new year. No points for no Kona Convergance (yes, I rode Ellie just in case I could pull that one off), and it seems they've taken down the blinged-out steel frame that was hanging on the wall for the bike-themed art show in favor of Star Wars related art. Minus all points for being the gamemaster, and thus DQ'd.

Brünø Moore
01-11-2016, 04:46 PM
This morning I had some home brewed coffee from a local roaster, Zeke's

I'm assuming the beans were fetched by bike...

Honey in cappuccino—or coffee at all!—is something I haven't seen (other) people do outside of Italy. Good to know I'm not the only weirdo who does it.

ginacico
01-11-2016, 05:46 PM
I drank my coffee inside the comfort of my home because the real feel was 17 F this morning and even the dog didn't want to go outside.

I'm assuming the beans were fetched by bike...

I was going to inquire about that, too, but I see he's outsmarted us all. Well played, Boomer, well played. To think I got suckered into commuting this morning, with a few extra miles to Mike's for pancakes. (I brought my own brew from home, in a thermal mug that fits in a bottle cage; Mike's coffee is terrible.)

Boomer2U
01-11-2016, 09:33 PM
I was going to inquire about that, too, but I see he's outsmarted us all. Well played, Boomer, well played. To think I got suckered into commuting this morning, with a few extra miles to Mike's for pancakes. (I brought my own brew from home, in a thermal mug that fits in a bottle cage; Mike's coffee is terrible.)
Yes, I rode my bike to the Farmer's market where the coffee was purchased, and rode back again, for a total of about 4 miles.

Boomer2U
01-11-2016, 09:41 PM
(I brought my own brew from home, in a thermal mug that fits in a bottle cage; Mike's coffee is terrible.)

I had a work conf call at 7:30pm or else I would've joined MMPC to bid Consularrider farewell (again). And I agree, coffee at Mike's Deli is mighty awful[emoji13]

Brünø Moore
01-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Yes, I rode my bike to the Farmer's market where the coffee was purchased, and rode back again, for a total of about 4 miles.

Ah! Farmers' market! More points for you!

(Wait, is Mike's the place that has pretty good ice cream up front, beer in the back, and will make you a beer float?)

Rockford10
01-12-2016, 06:22 AM
And I agree, coffee at Mike's Deli is mighty awful[emoji13]

I make no comment about the quality of the coffee, but mention, ITS FIFTY CENTS. It exceeds my fifty cent coffee expectations. Particularly combined with an "english muffin", eggs and bacon on the side.

ginacico
01-12-2016, 06:37 AM
I had a work conf call at 7:30pm or else I would've joined MMPC to bid Consularrider farewell (again).

Work, as an excuse NOT to commute and drink good coffee at home. This guy's genius knows no bounds.

(Wait, is Mike's the place that has pretty good ice cream up front, beer in the back, and will make you a beer float?)

Dunno. They do have ice cream, but I've only been there for breakfast and never ordered a beer float. Join us any Monday to see if they're on the menu... just don't come for the coffee!

This morning I made a mocha with my espresso machine. Beans ground with my antique burr grinder. It doesn't achieve a grind quite fine enough for espresso, but what the heck, it tastes SO much better.

Flavored with Dutch processed cocoa and honey (just sweet enough), and frothed almond milk. Breakfast comfort food. I hadn't tried the honey in coffee before, yum.

The bike connection... The honey came from one of my Saturday morning trips with Vaya, carrying panniers, to the Falls Church farmers market.

Boomer2U
01-12-2016, 02:53 PM

Yup, that's the place. Around mile 7.0 on the WOD. I have had many an ice cream there on my summer afternoon commute ride home, if I can get there before they close (which is as arbitrary as to when they open in the morning...or not).

With regard to their best cup of bottomless coffee for 50 cents (and you truly get what you pay for in Mike's Deli case), you can earn a point for "diner black" according to my read of the rules (which ain't an easy read!:-0).

I also think that you should earn a point for Mike's Deli homemade ice-creams, but the rule maker clearly has a bias against NoVA holes in the wall, and only gives a point for creams consumed in Merland (that's how it's pronounced over there, isn't it?).

Brünø Moore
01-12-2016, 03:14 PM
I also think that you should earn a point for Mike's Deli homemade ice-creams, but the rule maker clearly has a bias against NoVA holes in the wall, and only gives a point for creams consumed in Merland (that's how it's pronounced over there, isn't it?).
Oh, not just any old Merry Land ice creams—only The Dairy counts (and not, sad to say, Island Style). I know about Mike's and Dairy Godmother, after all...

SarahBee
01-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Phill- you know I love you to pieces, but you are such a silly boy. Make your point more accessible and you will attract loads of followers.

Steve O
01-15-2016, 11:11 PM
More points for me: 65 I think

Friday Coffee Club
Java Shack
This coffee:
Drunk outside (although I think I already have that point)

Boomer2U
01-15-2016, 11:47 PM
I rode my bike to another coffee experience, down the street from my office, to Illy's, on the corner of M St. and New Hampshire Ave, NW in DC.

Bean: Arabica, from whom knows where, but the map on the wall indicated they were sourced from at least 3 different continents.
Roast: Italian dark esspresso
Where: Somewhere in Italy
Brew: latte w/ Almond milk in a ceramic mug w/ a chocolate muffin.
Prep: a serious esspresso machine!

The coffee here is always extraordinary; it's my favorite local escape from the office.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160116/923c11889097b18d4597c2966b845d70.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160116/dfeec4ba023f3e1c5a33aaff3c2daec4.jpg

Steve O
01-16-2016, 09:54 AM
This morning's coffee:

Falls Church Farmers Market
Roaster - Beanetics
Coffee - Costa Rica Monte de Paz Natural

Steve O
01-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Another 46.3527 points (by my calculation)

- Cafe Kindred
- Vigilante coffee roasters
- Cold brew
- Laughs with friends

Powerful Pete
01-17-2016, 12:44 PM
Bean: Arabica, from whom knows where, but the map on the wall indicated they were sourced from at least 3 different continents.
Roast: Italian dark esspresso
Where: Somewhere in Italy
Brew: latte w/ Almond milk in a ceramic mug w/ a chocolate muffin.
Prep: a serious esspresso machine!

The "somewhere in Italy" is Trieste. Illy's headquarters. It also houses their Università del caffè (coffee university)... yes we take these things very seriously! http://unicaffe.illy.com/en/around-the-world/trieste Oh, and here are the courses you may wish to take: http://unicaffe.illy.com/en/home

Stop by the DC location mentioned by Boomer, it is worth it. Just have an espresso.

accordioneur
01-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Coffee in Brooklyn is properly purchased from one of three types of establishments: a corner bodega, a diner, or with a hot, fresh bagel. Yes, yes, Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts have metastasized their way through the city in recent years, but they are not true New York. It was cold and snowy when I awoke - too cold for the ride I had planned, since I hadn't brought the appropriate gear for wind chills in the teens. I settled for a quick jaunt (https://www.strava.com/activities/473050173) to a bagel store, where I got a "cawwfee" (note that here, "regular" means milk & sugar) and a cinnamon raisin bagel.

The coffee was Vassilaros, the old school New York roaster. The method was a Bunn Pour-o-matic. The view was of Sheepshead Bay.

Note that one does not have to ride this kind of distance to get a bagel in Brooklyn - I passed at least three other bagel stores along the way. I just wanted a little more of a ride.

vvill
01-18-2016, 08:54 AM
This is from a previous week (at Cafe Kindred)
https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xta1/t51.2885-15/e15/10012531_1753531341533684_2027451309_n.jpg

I was at La Colombe yesterday but it was later in the day so I didn't actually get a coffee! So crowded in there though, I'll have to go back another time.
http://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpt1/t51.2885-15/e15/12534601_1695797510638694_999113887_n.jpg

Also went to Caffe Amouri last week. I really should get a loyalty card thingy there.

Brünø Moore
01-18-2016, 01:57 PM
Rumor has it that people have been counting—indeed pursuing—points. This amuses me.

Those assembled are to be reminded that my favorite local "competition (http://kineticbaltimore.com)" does have a "Blinding Speed" award. They should bear in mind, however, that said award is given not necessarily to the first sculpture to arrive at the finish, but to the fastest after all penalties, bribes, etc. are taken into account.

More importantly, however, they should remember that it's not in itself the most important, interesting, or coveted award.

Steve O
01-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Rumor has it that people have been counting—indeed pursuing—points. This amuses me..
Pursuing, yes. Counting is a lot harder.

More importantly, however, they should remember that it's not in itself the most important, interesting, or coveted award.

Now you tell us.

Steve O
01-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Those assembled are to be reminded that my favorite local "competition (http://kineticbaltimore.com)" does have a "Blinding Speed" award.

It's not the speed I'm concerned with; it's my memory. Hence my desire to post immediately.

That said, please add 6,123 points to my total for Mike's Deli (1 point for the coffee club; 2,071 points for drinking their coffee and 4,051 points for drinking a refill).

ginacico
01-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Those assembled are to be reminded that my favorite local "competition (http://kineticbaltimore.com)" does have a "Blinding Speed" award. They should bear in mind, however, that said award is given not necessarily to the first sculpture to arrive at the finish, but to the fastest after all penalties, bribes, etc. are taken into account.

Oh, THAT competition. I'm well familiar with its "rules," as I got to participate as a barnacle for this lovely entry in 2015.

Who doesn't like a ballerina?

Here's video of the graceful water entry:
https://pasadenagina.smugmug.com/Events/Kinetic-Sculpture-Race-2015/i-V6MH5Dq/A

And here was our prize. I can't explain what it was for, and neither could the judges, but we were proud.

I, too, rode to Mike's this holiday morning, and drank two cups of 50-cent coffee. Then I went home, lingered in a hot shower until my toes defrosted, and made myself a Nutella latte. I've been looking for a local coffee shop that makes one, but alas Pound the Hill (Eastern Market) has changed ownership and doesn't serve them anymore. Did a little research and it turns out they're not difficult to do yourself -- make a latte, stir in some Nutella before you pour the milk, and enjoy.

Steve O and I discussed the esoteric nature of Brünø's Big Bad Coffee Challenge over exceeds-expectations-for-.50 coffee at Mike's. With this added clue, I'm starting to get it. And I have no idea who'll get the prize at the end of BAFS2016 or how they'll earn it. But sipping my Nutella latte -- at least for the moment -- I was sure I'd "won."

ginacico
01-22-2016, 06:15 PM
With the snow storm and accompanying cabin fever looming, I geared up and got out. The main corridor of north Arlington was bustling with activity. I stopped at Northside Social, which was open and busy as ever.

They don't make a Nutella latte.... I asked. So I got a regular (Counter Culture espresso, whole milk) latte, with an Eggnog cookie. Watched the first snowflakes falling from my perch upstairs by a window.

Brünø Moore
01-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Points to your barista for that latte art; I've been meaning to make it to Northside Social for a bit now, just never quite make it. Maybe when I do this Bikenetic visit I've been meaning to do (throw in Kindred and Mike's along the way...), I'll cross it off the list.

I thought I'd posted this earlier, but here's the team I was on (http://kineticbaltimore.com/KSR/2012/) back in 2012—that's me in the Western shirt and boots as part of the 99% bailing out The One Percent.

Boomer2U
01-23-2016, 09:42 PM
A belated entry to the Bad Coffee Challenge...

I rode to Caffe Amouri in Vienna on MLK holiday with 2 competitors (+2 points?) from other BAFS2016 teams where I had a latte with Almond milk.

They have several award wining "Adventure" roasts. I chose Ethiopia-Geisha because it sounded cool. It tasted great, and helped thaw me out from riding in the blustery cold. Do I get Xtra points for riding in single-digit, negative temps?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160124/9efd69942eda6b681806ba5952586f82.jpg

Extra point for it being roasted on site.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160124/cebfd1df87df6e37afe6c35e29e12d9c.jpg

The barristas missed my order, though, some how, and I had to remind them twice before I actually got my coffee. To their credit, they gave me an extra 4 oz serving for my wait (+point for being patient?).

Steve O
02-13-2016, 05:19 PM
More points for me
I had the "Inidan Monsoon" (sic)
The workers there had no clue and could answer no questions. They did not know where in India (Inida?) it came from or anything about it. Maybe our expert knows.
However, I at least get a point for a new shop: Greenberry's. I chose this shop because my toes were freezing and it was in my line of vision.
The brownie was unexceptional.

Steve O
02-13-2016, 05:22 PM
More points for me
At FCC II Java Shack I had this:

Brünø Moore
02-14-2016, 05:34 PM
More points for me
I had the "Inidan Monsoon" (sic)
The workers there had no clue and could answer no questions. They did not know where in India (Inida?) it came from or anything about it. Maybe our expert knows.
However, I at least get a point for a new shop: Greenberry's. I chose this shop because my toes were freezing and it was in my line of vision.
The brownie was unexceptional.

Probably Monsooned Malabar, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsooned_Malabar) or something taking after it. Sad to hear that things were unexceptional, though.

Got a hot tip from Rod about Caffé Aficionado—going to have to check that one out along with Northside Social someday Soon.

Brünø Moore
02-15-2016, 09:55 PM
Okay, finally getting around to posting these...yes, again, I know, I'm DQ'd for y'alls benefit, but still.

For those of you (glaring at you, Starbucks) looking for what a macchiato should be...Dolceza CityCenter knows (https://www.strava.com/activities/484536480). Got it dialed in durn near perfect.

Those of you looking to hit up the Vigilante roastery—they're back open (I missed them doing pourovers in their event tent during the cold and wind last week), and officially remodeled. It was a bit of a madhouse on Saturday (https://www.strava.com/activities/492819106), but hey, my across the street neighbors and their new touring bikes were there too.

As for #coffeeclubs, I'm still trying to leave College Park FMCC early enough to hit up Metbranch 2FMTRCC. Think I'm 0/2 this year (shame, Brünø, shame!), so one chance left—though, in all fairness, the local coffee shop's service might have a thing or two to do with that...

Steve O
03-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Multiple points for this morning:
Vienna Thursday coffee club:
Adventure coffee from Rwanda
And served in a French press

This coffee was marvelously delicious. I drank it straight - no cream or sugar.

Then a fun ride in with the post-coffee convoy.

Steve O
03-15-2016, 05:47 AM
Almost forgot about this. Last Tuesday went to Cafe Kindred Coffee Club. Was served coffee from Vigilante coffee roasters.
A couple more points for me.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160315/404b854ecc3a570518d46510f389b9e7.jpg

americancyclo
03-15-2016, 07:21 AM
I rode my bicycle through the snow to get coffee, three times in two hours.

Friday 3/4

7am Green Lizard - sumatra, one of my personal favorites.
830am Java Shack - dark roast (???) and PIE
856am M.E.Swings - Eurodark is always my first choice here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/508387556

points?

vern
03-15-2016, 09:17 AM
I rode my bicycle through the snow to get coffee, three times in two hours.

Friday 3/4

7am Green Lizard - sumatra, one of my personal favorites.
830am Java Shack - dark roast (???) and PIE
856am M.E.Swings - Eurodark is always my first choice here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/508387556

points?

Very Rule #9 of you to endure that ferocious snowstorm!

americancyclo
03-15-2016, 09:19 AM
Very Rule #9 of you to endure that ferocious snowstorm!
haha, yeah. all that beautiful snow that never made it to the trail surface :P

Steve O
03-17-2016, 07:47 AM
Northside Social. Unpronounceable Burundian coffee. Ginger cranberry scone.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/ca86d142a018d3d3f1d46a1527acfca6.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/c0dd622715356d9365988f77c4c7c3d1.jpg

americancyclo
03-17-2016, 08:05 AM
Northside Social. Unpronounceable Burundian coffee.
Burundi always makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1sQkEfAdfY#t=100
(coffee related as well)

Boomer2U
03-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Here goes my first of many backlogged coffeenuering stops during #bafs2016 that I thought I should post before Saturday's season-ending finale...

Last Thursday, I visited Bicycles & Coffee in Brookland, Washington DC, which may be the bike friendliest cafe in town since its inside a local bike shop! That's my bike out front. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/d6d0a2d544ded519406775caf43e9071.jpg
Once inside, I met Jason, the barrista, who rode his old school Puegot roadie to work (+1 point).
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/d23e6c7ccc3fcab10445dd83522c3d62.jpg
I had a cup of of the day, Brazilian Pereira, from Carmo de Minas, roasted by Ceremony, freshly brewed a la drip, and true to the attributes of its label (extra point for truth in advertising?): hazelnut and raisin areomatics with doughnut and English tea accents.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/f7bf79921e2054769d9f41fb44534236.jpg
I was their last customer of the day as they locked the gate behind me.There was no dog or mascot to pet for an extra point.

Boomer2U
03-17-2016, 02:42 PM
Two weekends ago I had to work on a Saturday and I quit early, inspired in part by Bruno's invitation to check out the recently renovated and reopened Vigilantes Cafe in Hyattsville MD. That's me out front on a borrowed N+1 bicycle (thank you @SarahBee :-)
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/07086f8a7d6e33778043fd8dc473f77d.jpg
Where I enjoyed a latte with Almond milk (+1 point for latte art?) of this roast, a blend from 3 different countries..
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/c24964bebca98336a69dfe98c09033ab.jpg
...and a kolache on the side
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/18cb4aa5568795d34763a97221dc4f58.jpg
Which was roasted on site:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/b41c6dba4636c8a8658344afaf653f2d.jpg

Boomer2U
03-17-2016, 02:50 PM
This was a quick, easy and convenient coffee sample while shopping at my local TJ's, that I rode to on my El Gordito bike with rack and panniers.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/a45ae0f3b6e12c2c07f956e124bac200.jpg

Boomer2U
03-17-2016, 02:55 PM
I claim all of @SteveO's points for the Jan 17th visit to Cafe Kindred in Falls Church Va, since I issued the invitation, recruited someone else more competent to take a clearer pic of our social gathering...
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/c8ac77d1484f74a69c6aa771325e01d6.jpg
..and I took the pic of our bikes outside to show that we rode there under our own power, before the snow & freezing rain came down.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/23f2b5957c49c3e1461d1e2970069846.jpg

Boomer2U
03-17-2016, 02:57 PM
Almost forgot about this. Last Tuesday went to Cafe Kindred Coffee Club. Was served coffee from Vigilante coffee roasters.
A couple more points for me.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160315/404b854ecc3a570518d46510f389b9e7.jpg
Can you get points for visiting the same place twice and drinking the same (unspecified) coffee?

Steve O
03-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Can you get points for visiting the same place twice and drinking the same (unspecified) coffee?

—Attend as many different coffee clubs as possible. Good luck hitting both Vienna and College Park.

So, yes. I earn 65 points for attending the Tuesday morning coffee club.

Boomer2U
03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
So, yes. I earn 65 points for attending the Tuesday morning coffee club.
Oh, OK, then "different" doesn't pertain to the locale, just the reason for revisiting the same place twice?

Brünø Moore
03-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Northside Social. Unpronounceable Burundian coffee.[/IMG]

The staff at Potter's House just calls theirs "boozy." Only their multilingual African barista can actually pronounce it, and he was out that day. Great stuff, though!

Okay, so, in the "Who's Line is it Anyway?" points total that Doesn't Actually Matter For Me, Because I'm DQ'd Anyway:

—Vigilante during Route One Rampage. Had gone in for a public cupping (https://www.strava.com/activities/502908734) a couple weeks before, but this time...effit, what's the last thing I'd ever get? Let's confuse the baristas, who have me pegged as a handpour/single origin espresso dude. Affogato...peanut butter chocolate affogato. Now there's an abomination before all that is good and holy in coffee if I ever heard...wait, what just happened? Seriously, you're giving me some racer's gift card prime because you like my All-City cap (https://www.strava.com/activities/515147768)? Uh, okay. Score?!?!

—Thursday Night Throwdown (TNT) at La Colombe Chinatown while overhauling a new old Schwinn's bottom bracket. TNT's a monthly barista gathering/latte art competition; no, I'm not a pro, I'm a tad out of place, but, ya know, I'll join in the audience at Thunderdome. Free coffee for everybody! FREEEEEE COFFEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

—Pulled off the Misha's/Killer ESP (https://www.strava.com/activities/518861198) double. Yes, it's a stupid joke (the two places are a block away, it's faster to walk), that's why I did it. Misha's is where I first headed down this coffee rabbit hole; really should have taken them at their word that, yes, they would actually French roast a Harrar. Oh you poor dear. I can tell there was once some fruit and vibrancy there, once upon a time, hidden somewhere underneath all that burnt char. It's...well, it's sad. I still love the cafe. Great vibe. But they're killing their coffee.

Good thing there's Killer ESP and their shopdog. Stumptown's not local, but black tea mango gelato is...and Chuck Brown on the stereo is also Great Vibe.

Amalitza
03-17-2016, 08:15 PM
The new pourover cones in the studio, and the bike that brought them home.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160318/9e2dae78568467ed868d922ebf9c3d6c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160318/0c9785591f85986f1aecd8afe98c701d.jpg

I've tried them out a couple times, and think they flowed a bit fast, but that was at least partly because I didn't know what I'm doing. I'm working on my technique. Anyway, it tasted like coffee, if a bit weak.

I'm planning to keep the blue one and give the raspberry one away as the suburban labyrinth prize.

Steve O
03-18-2016, 12:48 PM
One last point (unless I go out for coffee tomorrow morning, I suppose)

Made it to Swing's for Friday Coffee Club: The Original, for the first time this winter.
1 point for a new roaster
1 point for (my 5th) coffee club

7 points for a selfie with rabbit ears

Steve O
03-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Oh, OK, then "different" doesn't pertain to the locale, just the reason for revisiting the same place twice?

Clearly you failed to memorize the rules.

Steve O
04-01-2016, 08:12 AM
I demand a recount!

Boomer2U
04-01-2016, 12:30 PM
I demand a recount!
Sore loser!

Boomer2U
04-01-2016, 01:48 PM
I am honored and humbled to have been chosen as the recipient of this year's covenant prize. It is a great testament to the judges' wisdom and integrity to have rewarded prose, petting mascots, and barristisas on bicycles over obsessive postings from swanky locales (like LA) with colorless descriptions of "I had coffee, with a pastry, and I hereby assign myself an obscene numer of points because I'm a jerk."

I am, however, regretful for the deplorable display of unsportmanslike conduct of @SteveO last night, upon learning of Rod's announcement that I was judged to be of superior coffeenuering skills. Please pay no heed to his continued rantings on this forum, or at coffee clubs, as such behavior should not be condoned, nor encouraged, in the otherwise upstanding BAFS community.

If you must engage SteveO on his fruitless pursuit, please suggest to him, gently, as he is unstable at times, that perhaps he should reflect inward as to why he lost this pointless prize, rather than to continue lashing outward, and blaming others.

I thank you for your continued support in making the BAFS community all that it is, despite a sore loser here and there. After all, they are pointless prizes, right?

Ride on!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160401/02f185a29f6b1ca62365d88b68b50097.jpg

SarahBee
04-02-2016, 09:23 AM
I agree with Phillllll.... Boomer is cuter!

Brünø Moore
04-04-2016, 08:21 PM
So, the backstory: I caught the beans Boomer won at the last Thursday Night Throwdown (TNT) latte art competition at La Colombe Chinatown. Like, literally caught—they were lobbed at my face. I mean, the whole place had a bit of a "WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME!!!!!" vibe, what with baristas from Baltimore and Washington leaning over balcony and stair railings, drinking beers, and chugging the loosing cappuccinos, so, come to think of it, having someone wing a sample of pretty good coffee at my head wasn't actually that surprising. As far as breaks from repacking bottom brackets go, that wasn't a bad one.

"Spirit of the Inglorious Founder" is a reference to Kinetic Sculpture, a race in the same sense BAFS is a competition. One of the many, many awards is the Spirit of the Glorious Founder award, given for reasons that...well, nobody's quite sure what the reasons are, but it kinda makes sense when it's given. It's not the Grand Mediocre Championship, given to the team that's not necessarily the best at anything, but is good at everything; rather, it almost seems like a "ah, these guys, they get it, whatever 'it' is" trophy. I'd thought about giving home-roasted beans as the SotIFA, but, given that accordioneur roasts his own, well...

Rod Smith
04-04-2016, 09:16 PM
There maybe a spot available on a Kinetic Sculpture team if anyone's interested. You should be strong like ox and willing to pedal furiously in a cramped space dressed as a monster.

Rod Smith
04-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Nevermind. Position filled.

accordioneur
04-05-2016, 08:26 AM
... I'd thought about giving home-roasted beans as the SotIFA, but, given that accordioneur roasts his own, well...

Let me offer my slightly belated thanks to Brünø for having recognized my cøffee-related efforts in this year's BAFS. I was delighted to discover that the beans were green. Waiting for this infernal wind to die down so I can roast them.

I'm already thinking coffee-related thoughts about next year ...

ginacico
04-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Just be aware that the Boomer-ang-ster will stoop low to win.

If you must engage SteveO on his fruitless pursuit, please suggest to him, gently, as he is unstable at times, that perhaps he should reflect inward as to why he lost this pointless prize, rather than to continue lashing outward, and blaming others.

Tsk, you two. Cøffee is civilized.

A certain amount of nefarious dealings, bribery (especially bribery), trickery, thievery, and chicanery is permitted in this contest of course. After all, our beloved grand brew-bah Brünø literally had the prize beans thrown at his head. It's over, sit down and enjoy a nice pour-over together. Have a cookie.

But seriously. I've made notes, drawn maps, conspired and colluded with accordioneur (no rules against occasional pulling together as a coffeneuring team, I assume), plans are already in the works. This cøffee contest may be my primary motivation for participating in silly FS games next year.

Boomer2U
04-05-2016, 07:09 PM
SteveO and I, sharing a happy moment, before coffeeneuring came between us...sigh:-/
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160406/10c8adcc9fb868225a97492e6339f2dd.jpg

Steve O
04-05-2016, 08:10 PM
SteveO and I, sharing a happy moment, before coffeeneuring came between us...sigh:-/
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160406/10c8adcc9fb868225a97492e6339f2dd.jpg

Sheesh! He even stole my jacket.

consularrider
04-06-2016, 02:16 AM
Is he ever going to leave?