PDA

View Full Version : FSSB #3 Beerneuring

sjclaeys
12-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Do you like to bike? Do you like beer? If so, this side bet is for you. The rules are simple:

1. Ride your bike to a brewery or brewpub. I estimate that there are over 40 breweries or brewpubs that can be reached by bike from DC, over 10 of them are in DC.
2. Acquire a beer brewed at that location.
3. Take a picture of the beer.
4. Taste the beer.
5. Post on this thread the picture of the beer, the location, and a comment about the beer. It can be anything from "tastes mostly like beer" to "the hop aroma contained grapefruit pith and apricot that was matched by a good malt backbone, which added a hint of graham cracker".
6. Whomever posts entries from the most number of breweries or brewpubs by the end of Freezing Saddles wins!
7. The winner will receive a bottle of beer that reflects the nature of the competition. If only a few participate and the winner had 3 entries, then you will get a good bottle but nothing super special. If the competition is heated and the winner has 30 entries, then I will do my best to get something special.

A few further clarifications:

1. BE SAFE! No riding while under the influence. If you rode your bike to the brewery but find that you need to get a ride or take Metro home, the entry still counts.
2. You can go to more than one brewery on a ride, but see above.
3. The beer must be made at that location. Having a 3 Stars at the local bar does not count. Nothing at the Capital City in DC counts because it is all made in Shirlington.
4. Some brewpubs have more than one location. A trip to each location counts.
5. Keep in mind that this competition is to visit the most number of breweries and brewpubs. Once you visit and have a beer at a brewery or brewpub, then you cannot post another entry for that brewery or brewpub, even if you go back later and try a different beer.
6. It is not required, but try to go on at least one brewery tour. Fun, educational and you usually get to sample beer.

Let me know if you have any questions and HAVE FUN!

JonRobot
12-30-2015, 07:27 PM
oh. this is a thing i will put extra effort into. it combines two of my favorite things!

as a question, does a place like Gordon Biersch count? i know they brew beer at each of their locations, but i'm not sure that a brewery-restaurant is the same thing as a brewery proper.

lordofthemark
12-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Points of clarification

I presume home brewing does not count. The beer must be commercially available. But beer sold at a special event does count , IE if New District does another event before opening officially, that could count.

dkel
12-30-2015, 09:00 PM
Looking forward to playing but not competing. For a change. :p

jwetzel
12-30-2015, 09:16 PM
I am going to win everything by winning this.

vvill
12-30-2015, 09:42 PM
as a question, does a place like Gordon Biersch count? i know they brew beer at each of their locations, but i'm not sure that a brewery-restaurant is the same thing as a brewery proper.

Based on what I recall from last year, yes, each GB location counts.

dkel
12-30-2015, 10:10 PM

This. I know I used two of them last year, but never made it to the third (that was my backup in case Bruno threatened to edge me out!).

dkel
12-30-2015, 10:14 PM

Trust me: if you want to win everything, focus on riding, not on beer. (If you want to win just this, you can focus on both, but particularly the beer! :D)

cvcalhoun
12-30-2015, 10:19 PM

I suspect that if you overindulge in order to win the Beerneuring challenge, you are less likely to win anything else!

sjclaeys
12-30-2015, 10:33 PM
oh. this is a thing i will put extra effort into. it combines two of my favorite things!

Yes, Gordon Biersch counts if you drink a beer that is brewed at that location.

sjclaeys
12-30-2015, 10:39 PM
Points of clarification

I presume home brewing does not count. The beer must be commercially available. But beer sold at a special event does count , IE if New District does another event before opening officially, that could count.

I'm willing to count home brew consumed at the location of where it was brewed so as to support the art of home brewing. However, I am also willing to admit that one of the scariest things that you can hear from a home brewer is, "Here, try this and let me know what you think!" The example of New District would count also.

kwarkentien
12-30-2015, 11:47 PM
Yes, Gordon Borsch counts if you drink a beer that is brewed at that location.

Gordon Borsch! If you spelled it "Borscht" it would be just perfect!

Brünø Moore
12-31-2015, 08:00 AM
This. I know I used two of them last year, but never made it to the third (that was my backup in case Bruno threatened to edge me out!).

Heck, you can even use District Chophouse in Chinatown a block away from GB, so long as you bike between the two.

I'm not competing this year. Last year was just...just...too much beer. Waaaay too much beer.

And I still got beat.

lordofthemark
12-31-2015, 09:05 AM
Yes, Gordon Biersch counts if you drink a beer that is brewed at that location.

Are all the beers sold at any GB brewed at that location? None trucked in from other GB's? And Sweetwater - I have not been, they are (or were?) owned by the Georgia brewery of the same name, but somewhere I read that they brew some beers on premises? I assume all beers at Dogfishhead alehouse in Seven Corners come from Delaware, and at Heavy Seas in Rosslyn come from Maryland.

lordofthemark
12-31-2015, 09:06 AM
Gordon Borsch! If you spelled it "Borscht" it would be just perfect!

Please don't give the more adventurous craft brewers any ideas.

Edit: Never mind, too late.

http://www.thelocalbeet.com/2009/08/10/2610/

Rockford10
12-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Are all the beers sold at any GB brewed at that location? None trucked in from other GB's? And Sweetwater - I have not been, they are (or were?) owned by the Georgia brewery of the same name, but somewhere I read that they brew some beers on premises? I assume all beers at Dogfishhead alehouse in Seven Corners come from Delaware, and at Heavy Seas in Rosslyn come from Maryland.

We always asked to confirm that the beer was brewed on premises, sometimes brewers collaborate on beer and so the specific beer might not have been brewed at that location. I think some at Cap City are not brewed there - the Cherry Blossom Wit? My recollection is that the GB beers were always brewed there and Mad Fox brews in Falls Church, not in Glover Park. Sweetwater brews in Merrifield, perhaps the beer would have been more memorable if they had brewed in Georgia (did I say that out loud?).

JonRobot
12-31-2015, 09:40 AM

iiiiinteresting. i just discovered there are 4 breweries within 4 miles of my home then. 7 within 10 miles!

jwetzel
12-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Troegs is only 132 miles from my house!

jwetzel
01-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Beer the 1.
Golden Export. "Light and refreshing German belles lager with a crisp, clean finish. Single malt, single hop. OG: 11.5, ABV: 5.0%, IBU: 17"

After 46 miles I decided I needed a beer. So I rode over to Gordon Biersch downtown and ordered the Golden Export. This has turned out to be a mistake. Whilst it has a traditional lager colour and traditional lager cooling upon the initial sip, it is quickly followed by a poor aftertaste, one that reminds me of used dishwashing water. Certainly disappointing after the perfectly pedestrian beginning. Alas, it could not maintain a sense of normalcy and the inoffensive blandness of a mass market larger.

dkel
01-01-2016, 03:19 PM
An excellent pic in the well-established Beerneuring tradition of sideways pics (of which I was the chief exponent last year).

jwetzel
01-01-2016, 05:53 PM

I was at GB today and the menu said all beers brewed on location unless otherwise noted. None were noted today at their Gallery Place location.

vvill
01-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Borscht beer sounds ok actually.

jwetzel
01-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Beer the 2.
Breakfast Porter 7.3%
The Public Option
Mmm breakfast beer. This is yummy!

Steve O
01-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Boomer and I got started tonight at Mad Fox in Falls Church.
I had the sampler with these 4:
Kellerbier Kolsch - nothing spectacular, but went down easy to get started
Orange Whip IPA - Quite citrusy, more than I expected. I think this would make an excellent summer beer
Festivus - An English style British warmer, a big, rich, dark, robust beer that is spiced with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Lots of malt notes, medium bodied and just a hint of English First Gold hops. - This was my fav of the four. Quite tasty and seasonal with the spices
Batch 500 - Mad Fox's 500th beer, so a must try. A complex brew with myriad flavors. Not as heavy as I was expecting, which I actually preferred. Take your time to really enjoy this. I can see how it's one of those that you'll either like or you won't.

jwetzel
01-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Beer the three, in four parts.
Bluejacket, Navy Yard
Shortly after completing my first Hills of Anacostia ride with BicycleSpace, I rolled downhill (thank god) to Bluejacket for a beer. 2 hours and 21 minutes with a bunch of gnarly hills over 27.3 miles had gotten my thirst up.

Coaltown
“English Brown Ale (Dry-hopped w/ East Kent Goldings hops in the cask)
roast + soft & silky / abv 4.9% / temp 55F / nonic pint
a classic english brown ale brewed with 5 malts, hopped exclusively with east kent goldings & open-fermented. nutty, dark ready flavors join notes of coca & hints of fruit on the palate of this smooth & sessionable ale.”

Severed at a proper ale temperature of 12C, it allows subtle notes to emerge that are normally frozen in very cold beer. What those notes are I'm not sure, but I like them.

Bear Mountain
“Raspberry Farmhouse Ale
fruit & spice + bright / abv 8.7% / temp 54F / pokal
a strong, dry saison fermented 4 weeks with a blend of farmhouse ale yeasts + a blend of brettanomyces bruxellensis & brettanomyces claussenii, then aged for 3 weeks on 300 pounds of locally-grown red raspberries (sourced from sucker farms (lancaster, pa)).”

I've not tasted this yet but the red liquid in the glass is speaking to me, calling to my baser instincts. A deep inhalation of the heady aroma yields a sour note, as if aggressively challenging me. A first sip is surprising, begging for more. In consideration, it has a plain mouthfeel and seems underwhelming whilst upon the tongue. There is a lingering sour at the back of the mouth that is not my favourite thing, but also not unpleasant. Whilst an enjoyable experience I'm glad I only got the 4 oz pour.

Mexican Radio: S'mores Edition
“Spiced Sweet Stout (Finished w/ marshmallow fluff in the cask)
roast + dark & dry / abv 7.4% / temp 55F / snifter
a spiced stout brewed with oats & lactose milk sugar, then finished with vanilla beans, ancho chili peppers, cinnamon sticks & locally-roasted cacao nibs (from undone chocolate).”

This is one of those beers you try because of the weird thing they did to it. In this case, it's finished in a cask with marshmallow fluff. This is a dark beer. This is a complex beer. This complexity is probably wasted on me. It's not a bad beer, but it probably isn't something I'm going to have more than one of.

Nobody's Darling
“Imperial Schwarzbier
profile = roast + dark & dry / abv 12% / temp 54F / snifter
amped up black lager combining 7 different malts & flaked oats + columbus & saaz hops; richly roasted & exceedingly smooth, w/ suggestions of dark bread, blonde coffee, leafy hops & black pepper; brewed in collaboration w/ great raft brewing (shreveport, louisiana).

The final beer of this four beer journey. It is as dark as the Mexican Radio, but with finer bubbles as it is from a keg instead of drawn from a cask. On first taste I think I may have saved the best for last. It is full bodied with a clean finish with delightful roasted malt. Mmm

reji
01-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Old Ox Brewery, just off the WOD ~MM24. I had The Big Tasty, an imperial stout. It was smooth with bitter cocoa notes. Started great, but had a soapy aftertaste that I wasn't fond of.

consularrider
01-02-2016, 07:06 PM
#Beerneuring #1, Port City Brewing (http://www.portcitybrewing.com/) after their long ride 1/2/2016. Had tastings of their Tidings (https://www.taplister.com/beers/port-city-tidings/115302/), a Belgian style Strong Ale, and Long Black Veil (https://www.taplister.com/beers/port-city-long-black-veil/263586/), a Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale.

lordofthemark
01-02-2016, 07:12 PM

Starting at Rock Bottom, so to speak.

Beerneuring #1.

January 2. Rock Bottom in Arlington. Rock Bottom Raccoon Red Ale. Sweet malt flavor, almost honey, touch of bitter hops on the finish. Not a bad intro craft beer, but that is all it is.

Oh and as you can see, they allowed me to keep my bike by the table (in the part inside the mall) since I had forgotten to take a lock with me.

jwetzel
01-03-2016, 12:44 PM
I'm willing to count home brew consumed at the location of where it was brewed so as to support the art of home brewing. However, I am also willing to admit that one of the scariest things that you can hear from a home brewer is, "Here, try this and let me know what you think!" The example of New District would count also.

Does your own home brew at home after a ride count? I took a 15 mile detour between the couch and the fridge.

lordofthemark
01-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Is there a side prize for trying beers at mediocre chain brewpubs?:)

Beerneuring #2 Hops Grillhouse and Brewery, Potomac Yard, handy to the Alexandria loop, and for now, the only brewpub in the City of Alexandria, as far as I know.

Hops Lightning Bold Gold, a pale lager. Served in a frosted mug. Light malt aroma, taste was more like a light lager than a craft pilsener, some malt and a touch of hops, no off flavors, not a beer for "fussing over" but better than I expected given the reputation of the place.

jwetzel
01-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Beer the 4
Atlas Brew Works
District common
California common.
OG: 12.0
Malt: 2-row, victory, c-40, carapils
Hops: Bravo, Saaz
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 20

Clean easy beer. Not much to write home about, but it's an easy drinker and only 1.5 miles from my house.

sjclaeys
01-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Does your own home brew at home after a ride count? I took a 15 mile detour between the couch and the fridge.

The executive committee, with input from the video review official, has determined that counting your own homebrew would be contrary to the spirit and point of the side bet, so it does not count. Plus, there would be the issue of whether the review would be objective. :rolleyes:

AFHokie
01-03-2016, 06:22 PM
was just...just...too much beer. Waaaay too much beer.

Wait...too much beer? Is that an actual possibility?

Brünø Moore
01-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Wait...too much beer? Is that an actual possibility?

That much beer gets kinda expensive, for starters, but I think last year's Atlas/Bardo/DC Brau trifecta was a bit much for me just on principle. Surprisingly, much as I like beer, I really don't drink that much of it (well, outside of bike shops).

dkel
01-03-2016, 11:05 PM
That much beer gets kinda expensive, for starters, but I think last year's Atlas/Bardo/DC Brau trifecta was a bit much for me just on principle.

There were a couple of trips where Rockford and I left more behind in our glasses than we actually drank. It was worth it for the competition, but—on principle—pretty disappointing. This is why I will play this year (when I get around to it), but definitely not compete. Besides not only is it someone else's turn to win, but it's pretty clear jwetzel has an eye on the prize already.

jwetzel
01-04-2016, 05:16 AM
Couldn't sleep so I put the time to good use and put together a map of breweries/brewpubs that seem to be within a day trip. Many of them were already listed for me on http://www.bikeablebrews.com/ There are a lot of them, and I'm pretty sure I missed some. Happy drinking!

Arlingtonrider
01-04-2016, 06:58 AM
Awesome job on that! By the way, New District Brewing Co. just posted that they are officially opening this Saturday, Jan. 9 at noon. Details will follow on their FB page.

Sunyata
01-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Awesome job on that! By the way, New District Brewing Co. just posted that they are officially opening this Saturday, Jan. 9 at noon. Details will follow on their FB page.

Oooh! Maybe we should organize a ride there. :-D

consularrider
01-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Couldn't sleep so I put the time to good use and put together a map of breweries/brewpubs that seem to be within a day trip. Many of them were already listed for me on http://www.bikeablebrews.com/ There are a lot of them, and I'm pretty sure I missed some. Happy drinking!

You left off пивна дума (Pivna Duma) (http://pivnaduma.kiev.ua/) which is less than a kilometer from my house, so round trip distance counts, but would be a "sleaze" ride. Has great pig's knuckle to share and four beers supposedly brewed on location. Of course the day trip would include a flight to Kyiv.

consularrider
01-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Oooh! Maybe we should organize a ride there. :-D

Works for me since I think I'll end up skipping the Scud ride.

Brünø Moore
01-04-2016, 10:21 AM

Yup, just looking at that map (tiny, yes, but...), I can tell it needs Laurel's Jailbreak and south Baltimore's Heavy Seas Brewery—no, not the alehouse (which miiight be one of those pins in Bawlmer), but the actual brewery, which is spitting distance from the main bike route between here and the Inner Harbor.

lordofthemark
01-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Yup, just looking at that map (tiny, yes, but...), I can tell it needs Laurel's Jailbreak and south Baltimore's Heavy Seas Brewery—no, not the alehouse (which miiight be one of those pins in Bawlmer), but the actual brewery, which is spitting distance from the main bike route between here and the Inner Harbor.

This is how I know I will not win this competition ;)

jwetzel
01-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Bigger! With a few additions.
http://i.imgur.com/zn90OZV.png

Brünø Moore
01-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Yup. Some of us bike to Annapolis for a cup of coffee. Others to Mobtown for a beer. Never underestimate the power of quixotic obsessions.

(And, truth be told, the ride up to Baltimore's pretty cool and worth doing if you know the route; just make sure you do it when the breweries are open)

jwetzel
01-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Yup. Some of us bike to Annapolis for a cup of coffee. Others to Mobtown for a beer. Never underestimate the power of quixotic obsessions.

(And, truth be told, the ride up to Baltimore's pretty cool and worth doing if you know the route; just make sure you do it when the breweries are open)

I noticed as I started looking at these that some are only open for 4 hours on a Saturday or something like that. Would suck to roll up and be stymied by a locked door.

Rockford10
01-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Not to give anyone ideas, but you don't need to ride FROM YOUR HOME or BACK TO YOUR HOME from these beer trips. Conceivably you could drive to [someplace far away] and then bike around to a few breweries, reconnect with your car and drive home. Alternatively, you could bike to Mad Fox, Caboose, Old Ox and Lost Rhino and stumble home via Metro.

Boomer2U
01-04-2016, 03:32 PM

I posted an entry last year from GB and it counted, FYI

Boomer2U
01-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Not to give anyone ideas, but you don't need to ride FROM YOUR HOME or BACK TO YOUR HOME from these beer trips. Conceivably you could drive to [someplace far away] and then bike around to a few breweries, reconnect with your car and drive home. Alternatively, you could bike to Mad Fox, Caboose, Old Ox and Lost Rhino and stumble home via Metro.
I resemble both the drive there, then bike, and ride there, stumble home on the Metro remark for last year's competition (but alas, like Bruno Moore, got trumped by Team DRocks anyway:-().

lordofthemark
01-04-2016, 05:02 PM

I know there is no mention in the rules of how far you need to ride, but I think there is some sporting minimum distance, maybe the one mile of a sleaze ride? At least to get from home to the place, if not that same day (I am thinking for example if I ride to work on a Wednesday, ride the one block from work to Bluejacket on Thursday, and don't ride home till Friday, I would feel comfortable counting that. Not that I PLAN to ride that little in three days ;) )

KelOnWheels
01-04-2016, 05:10 PM
You left off пивна дума (Pivna Duma) (http://pivnaduma.kiev.ua/) which is less than a kilometer from my house, so round trip distance counts, but would be a "sleaze" ride. Has great pig's knuckle to share and four beers supposedly brewed on location. Of course the day trip would include a flight to Kyiv.

Well if you want some brewpub sleaze rides...

http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries/map

Steve O
01-04-2016, 05:41 PM
I know there is no mention in the rules of how far you need to ride

https://www.strava.com/activities/268196559

lordofthemark
01-04-2016, 06:03 PM
https://www.strava.com/activities/268196559

I am very happy to see Walmart Federal Government Regulations on that map. It must certainly be cheaper to buy them there compared to what we usually pay to develop regulations. I can't wait to submit this to the department's suggestion line.

Brünø Moore
01-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Jeez, exclusionary ruleslawyarin'. I know I'm of a more relaxed mindset when it comes to "what counts," and would actually find it kinda funny/amusing to see someone who works at DoT CaBi to Gordon Biersch, then to Bluejacket, or repeat my GB/District Chophouse stunt from last year. Heck, if this were Boozeaneuring, I'm wondering what an Ivy City "unlock bike, ride two feet, lock bike, repeat" ride would be—and those of you who have picked over the Coffeechallenge may notice I've thrown something like this in there, in homage to my inability to visit just one of a pair of favorite coffee shops a block away from one another whenever I'm in the neighborhood.

Tl;dr: if it looks like it might count, please count it.

dkel
01-04-2016, 07:00 PM
my GB/District Chophouse stunt from last year.

Team D-Rock used this one last year, too, and it was possibly my absolute favorite because of the bourbon-barrel, cask-conditioned stout at the Chophouse (nevermind Biersch!). If anyone is at the Chophouse and notices that the same stout is available, by all means post about it here, as I will get on my bike and go post haste!

sjclaeys
01-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Anyone who competes is already a winner!

sjclaeys
01-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Jeez, exclusionary ruleslawyarin'. I know I'm of a more relaxed mindset when it comes to "what counts," and would actually find it kinda funny/amusing to see someone who works at DoT CaBi to Gordon Biersch, then to Bluejacket, or repeat my GB/District Chophouse stunt from last year. Heck, if this were Boozeaneuring, I'm wondering what an Ivy City "unlock bike, ride two feet, lock bike, repeat" ride would be—and those of you who have picked over the Coffeechallenge may notice I've thrown something like this in there, in homage to my inability to visit just one of a pair of favorite coffee shops a block away from one another whenever I'm in the neighborhood.

Tl;dr: if it looks like it might count, please count it.

As the creator and overlord for this side bet, I retain all rights to judge what counts and what does not. My general advice, don't make it seem that you are trying to be too tricky and you should be ok.

Steve O
01-06-2016, 01:20 PM
It took a little research to find a place that brews on premises. When I got there, I had to ask again, because they must keep their brewery out of view: no big, giant silver tank thingies and such in sight. In fact, it was inside the Westin Hotel, which also seemed suspicious. However, they assured me; all good.
Got their "beer of the month" double IPA. Shared a pitcher with my Aussie friend, Richard (not pictured, sorry). It was a fine beer, but I wouldn't say any better than Dogfish or Cap City back home.

ShawnoftheDread
01-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Are you at the Bonaventure in LA? Any sign of Ann Jillian?

Kitty
01-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Note to self: Do not give up alcohol for lent... :p

Steve O
01-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Are you at the Bonaventure in LA? Any sign of Ann Jillian?
Yes. She swung by our table, but when I learned that she had not biked there, I told her to get lost.

ShawnoftheDread
01-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Yes. She swung by our table, but when I learned that she had not biked there, I told her to get lost.

You really should be nicer to the wait staff.

lordofthemark
01-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Anyone else at New District? It is too crowded to see if any of you are here.

lordofthemark
01-09-2016, 05:08 PM

Beerneuring #3 New District Brewing, after a short ride on the W&OD.

A sample of the 1821 Belgian Saison (or is it really a Belgian pale? ) A nice yeasty spicy kind of flavor, that I associate with beers that are called Belgian style.

The other person in the selfie above is the brewer. Do I get points for that?

Sunyata
01-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Several Team 8 Members (and an infiltrator from Team 11) stopped by Caboose Brewing Company today.

Beerneuring #1:
Caboose Brewing Company
The Zoo Berliner Weisse - Nice and light, but full of weisse-y flavour. It was definitely good and I will probably have it again.

reji
01-09-2016, 05:57 PM
Beerneuring #2 at Crooked Run Brewery in Leesburg

Sampler of 5:

1. Logan's Song an English Pale Ale. Not bad, though not memorable either. Just there. Probably the best of the bunch.
2. Cherry Cayenne Storm, a cherry/cayenne infused IPA. Nope, this beer needs to figure out what it wants to be.
3. Mango Garuda, a pilsner malt IPA (?) infused with mango. Another nope, though more tolerable than the Cherry Storm.
4. Shadow of Truth, a black Belgian triple. Light bodied, a little tangy.
5. Biscotti Stout, an imperial stout but way too sweet.

Definitely won't rush back for the beer, but the journey was awesome!

Sunyata
01-09-2016, 06:08 PM
So, since there seems to be a large community of beer lovers here, I was curious to know if anyone is also a member of Beer Snobs Anonymous (aka Untappd)?

For those that do not know, Untappd is an app that allows you to check in your beers, rate them, gives you pointless badges, and lets you track what you have drank and what your "friends" have drank and how much more of an alcoholic you are than them. (or something to that affect)

lordofthemark
01-09-2016, 06:27 PM
So, since there seems to be a large community of beer lovers here, I was curious to know if anyone is also a member of Beer Snobs Anonymous (aka Untappd)?

For those that do not know, Untappd is an app that allows you to check in your beers, rate them, gives you pointless badges, and lets you track what you have drank and what your "friends" have drank and how much more of an alcoholic you are than them. (or something to that affect)

I am on ratebeer. If the notoriously sensitive proprietors of Beeradvocate are reading this, I am not the same Lordofthemark who is on your site. If you want to hear more beer site politics, pm me.

sjclaeys
01-09-2016, 08:06 PM

Yes, I use Untapped, sometimes to the chagrin of those who are out with me. But hey, how else can I track my beers and make sure that I've tried more unique beers than my office colleague?

jwetzel
01-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Beerneur the 5th
Rock Bottom, Bethesda
Fun thing I learned on this trip: Rock Bottom and GB are owned by the same company.

Wicked Elf
OG: 18.4
8.4%
IBU: 35
Dry hopped, Belgian style dark strong ale

This one was super yummy. If I didn't have 5 empty growlers at home, I might have bought one to go.

Trouble
OG: 19.6
9.1%
IBU: 23

Another Belgian style, but not as tasty as the Wicked Elf, whilst not bland it tended that way compared to the Wicked Elf.

WARNING: BONUS FUN ATTACHED

On my way to this location, my chain decided to jump ship and quit on me as I climbed the steep hill from Mass Ave to the CCT. It bent one of the teeth on my front chainring on it's way out too. Rude.

Fortunately, Sam stopped and he had a chain tool so we popped two links out and put it back on. We then had to bend the chainring tooth back into place because it was catching the chain and lifting it off the smaller chainring. Then I rode on the small chainring to Big Wheels and got a new chain, then continued on and successfully acquired beer.

Steve O
01-10-2016, 04:51 PM
On my way to this location, my chain decided to jump ship and quit on me as I climbed the steep hill from Mass Ave to the CCT. It bent one of the teeth on my front chainring on it's way out too. Rude.

Fortunately, Sam stopped and he had a chain tool so we popped two links out and put it back on. We then had to bend the chainring tooth back into place because it was catching the chain and lifting it off the smaller chainring. Then I rode on the small chainring to Big Wheels and got a new chain, then continued on and successfully acquired beer.

Can one earn bonus points for trials and tribulations? Not that wetzie needs any.

Roadbike56
01-10-2016, 09:29 PM
There is a brewery on the W&OD outside of Vienna called Caboose Brewery. But I was moving so well, I didn't want to stop. :-o

Oh well, I don't have money with me either...

Eric

Do you like to bike? Do you like beer? If so, this side bet is for you. The rules are simple:

1. Ride your bike to a brewery or brewpub. I estimate that there are over 40 breweries or brewpubs that can be reached by bike from DC, over 10 of them are in DC.
2. Acquire a beer brewed at that location.
3. Take a picture of the beer.
4. Taste the beer.
5. Post on this thread the picture of the beer, the location, and a comment about the beer. It can be anything from "tastes mostly like beer" to "the hop aroma contained grapefruit pith and apricot that was matched by a good malt backbone, which added a hint of graham cracker".
6. Whomever posts entries from the most number of breweries or brewpubs by the end of Freezing Saddles wins!
7. The winner will receive a bottle of beer that reflects the nature of the competition. If only a few participate and the winner had 3 entries, then you will get a good bottle but nothing super special. If the competition is heated and the winner has 30 entries, then I will do my best to get something special.

A few further clarifications:

1. BE SAFE! No riding while under the influence. If you rode your bike to the brewery but find that you need to get a ride or take Metro home, the entry still counts.
2. You can go to more than one brewery on a ride, but see above.
3. The beer must be made at that location. Having a 3 Stars at the local bar does not count. Nothing at the Capital City in DC counts because it is all made in Shirlington.
4. Some brewpubs have more than one location. A trip to each location counts.
5. Keep in mind that this competition is to visit the most number of breweries and brewpubs. Once you visit and have a beer at a brewery or brewpub, then you cannot post another entry for that brewery or brewpub, even if you go back later and try a different beer.
6. It is not required, but try to go on at least one brewery tour. Fun, educational and you usually get to sample beer.

Let me know if you have any questions and HAVE FUN!

jwetzel
01-13-2016, 10:45 AM
70!

http://www.washingtonian.com/2016/01/12/70-breweries-around-washington-heres-map/

ctankcycles
01-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Beerneuring #1

@pdubs and I starting off what's supposed to be a big day of beerneuring at Forge Brew Works in Newington. Oatmeal stout is kind of meh (@pdubs says it has a "hop finish") but the Farmhouse Ale is quite palatable.

kwarkentien
01-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Post Pedals & Pints Short Ride: Long Black Veil. Nice dark IPA with after tones of grapefruit. One of my faves. Taster sized since I had an extra ticket hanging around. A big girl size is probably in my immediate future. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160116/303f211bb808943890289b6585dadeb3.jpg

ctankcycles
01-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Beerneuring #2

Moving on to Fairwinds Brewing Company also located in the scenic and bike friendly community of Newington. The gas tanks along Terminal Road are lovely this time of year. And so is the Running Light (how appropriate) Belgian Red. Bonus: the sun has reappeared.

kwarkentien
01-16-2016, 04:11 PM
New District Brewing, Fashionably Late, a pumpkin seasonal. Nice taste but a bit pricey.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160116/26e47fb830ecde09426ddb8774a7679c.jpg

Kitty
01-16-2016, 05:15 PM
First one of the season!

The Brewery: I visited Port City as part of their Pedals and Pints ride. I happily downed my Tidings, only to realize I forgot to take a picture! This of course necessitated getting a taster of Colossal I.

The Beer: These two truly capture the season. Tidings is their venerable holiday beer, which I was thrilled to see they still had on tap. It has a mild spiced sweetness that I prefer, with the easy drinking of a summer sessional, but the wonderful hit of 7.8% ABV. Its a stealth bomber to be sure! (Bring a 6-pack to a family holiday gathering and watch the fun begin!) The Colossal I (the dark taster) is a wonderful example of how the IBU is a subjective measure. The deep-dark stout is rich and smooth, which I found to have less bitterness than your average Guinness. I understand its limited--once its gone its gone--which will be a sad day.

reji
01-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Beerneuring #3 at Port City with many BAFS16 participants. Had the Revival Oatmeal Stout which was surprisingly light bodied. Tangy with a light malty finish.10500

jrenaut
01-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Went to Bluejacket with the wife. Not even the intoxicated dudebro at the bar next to us could ruin our cheeseplate and delicious beers.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1629/23819389844_4610d2714f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ChQAKf)
Bluejacket - The Chimmer[/url] - a nice IPA.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1512/24079796049_97385ff9d9_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CFRfrp)
Bluejacket - Bear Mountain - carbonated fruit punch. Interesting.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1567/23820789843_b50aafd683_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ChXLVa)
Bluejacket - Mexican Radio - Good beer for a cold day

jrenaut
01-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Team ride to Port City! Well, one of my teammates, anyway. And her spouse. And my spouse, and one of my spouse's teammates. And two cold children. Though, honestly, what sort of a child wouldn't want to ride on the back of an Xtracycle for 14 miles in 20 degree weather to go to a brewery? I never got to do that sort of thing when I was their age.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1526/24101217999_79290511ea_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CHK3rn)
Port City - Tidings Ale (https://flic.kr/p/CHK3rn): Nothing stood out about this beer. It wasn't bad, just not anything I'm dying to drink again.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1669/24173422900_12515a26c4_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CQ87rs)
Port City - Ways and Means (https://flic.kr/p/CQ87rs): this might be their most interesting. It's a session rye IPA and it's got a really nice, strong flavor with a low alcohol content. Their flagship IPA is fine but nothing to write home about - the rye session is really nicely done and worth a try. They're bottling and distributing it now in DC, as it turns out.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1549/23842197563_6f103185bd_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CjRuFM)
Port City - Monumental IPA (https://flic.kr/p/CjRuFM): perfectly pleasant. I've always been annoyed by this beer because it won Meridian Pint's IPA tournament (voted on by their customers) over some objectively superior beers. But it's not Port City's fault that some people wouldn't know a good IPA if it bit them on the frozen saddle.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1713/23842199783_1213ab7efe_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CjRvm4)
Port City - Long Black Veil (https://flic.kr/p/CjRvm4): Nice. Not as bitter as some black IPAs.

The picture of the Long Black Veil might actually be of the Oyster Stout. That was good, too. I should have taken notes.

consularrider
01-30-2016, 09:32 AM
Ok, we're looking at a long weekend trip to L'viv for President's Day weekend. There are bike rentals (should be a version of a bike share (http://mobility.lviv.ua/en/munitsypalnyi-prokat-velosypediv/)) and a couple of brew pub/restaurants. Robert Dom's Beer House (http://lviv.travel/en/index/wheretoeat/~44/robert-dom-s-beer-house), I've had three of their beers here in Kyiv, and Kumpel (http://lviv.travel/en/index/wheretoeat/~26/kumpel).

lordofthemark
01-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Beerneuring #4

Caboose brewery, after a ride on slush, snow, and ice up the W&OD from Walter Reed, which involved some walking, some flintstoning, some riding on surfaces the like of which I have never ridden on before, two falls in the snow, and the loss of a DC Streetcar water bottle. With the motivation of a brewery to keep me going.

So. I tried a pint (why do I always forget to ask if flights are available?) of the Brown Ale (Boxcar Brown?) It was dark brown with a light tan head, smelled of toffee, malt, and I thought chocolate. Taste was sweetly malty, again seemed chocolaty, and had only a wisp of hops. It was a nice compromise between a porter/stout (for the weather) and a lighter beer (for coming sweaty off a ride.) I would definitely come back to Caboose again.

Also to note, the Ratebeer website was misbehaving today.

jrenaut
01-31-2016, 09:46 AM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1710/24703809476_c58aa1fa00_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DCZtTA)
IMG_20160130_154313091 (https://flic.kr/p/DCZtTA) by Barb Sheehy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bsheehy8/), on Flickr
A White Bicycles at Right Proper's Brookland tasting room. It's a "rustic witbier". I have no idea what it has to do with bicycles, but it was pleasant.

lordofthemark
01-31-2016, 11:12 AM
Ok, we're looking at a long weekend trip to L'viv for President's Day weekend. There are bike rentals (should be a version of a bike share (http://mobility.lviv.ua/en/munitsypalnyi-prokat-velosypediv/)) and a couple of brew pub/restaurants. Robert Dom's Beer House (http://lviv.travel/en/index/wheretoeat/~44/robert-dom-s-beer-house), I've had three of their beers here in Kyiv, and Kumpel (http://lviv.travel/en/index/wheretoeat/~26/kumpel).

So I have to ask. Was Mr Dom Jewish? Was he a local? My grandfather's name was Samuel Domb (sic) and his father kept an inn or tavern according to my mother. The family lived in a shtetl in Austrian Galicia near Krakow, which I guess is not that far from L'vov/Lemberg/L'viv.

jrenaut
01-31-2016, 08:07 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1446/24736866335_c77d320c08_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DFUUxr)IMG_20160131_140452635 (https://flic.kr/p/DFUUxr) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr

Taster flight and family game of Exploding Kittens at Three Stars.

jrenaut
01-31-2016, 08:09 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1634/24441469240_5d5863f293_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DeNVh5)IMG_20160131_155502506 (https://flic.kr/p/DeNVh5) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr

Hell's Horn Imperial Pale Lager and gremlin at Hellbender Brewing Co

lordofthemark
02-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Beerneuring #5.

Capitol City Brewing, at multi team Happy Hour, in Shirlington.

Prohibition Porter. Aroma was malt, chocolate, and I thought dark fruits. Taste was similar. Probably the best beer I've had at Capitol (sic - that is how the brewery spells it) City, but then I tend to favor porters.

Steve O
02-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Even though I was literally touching sjclaeys, he refused to acknowledge my beerneuring point without this photo:
Capital City Shirlington. Porter. Yum.

sjclaeys
02-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Even though I was literally touching sjclaeys, he refused to acknowledge my beerneuring point without this photo:
Capital City Shirlington. Porter. Yum.

As the rector of my college dorm would say, "Rules are rules, guys, rules are rules."

sjclaeys
02-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Capitol City India Pale Lager. This style can be hit or miss, sometimes lacking body. This beer did not have that flaw. Nice hop aroma and flavor with good balancing maltiness. KWL's hovering in the background.

reji
02-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Beerneuring #4 at Mad Fox

4 tasters:
The Ambassador, a pale ale. Orange and grapefruit notes with a faint pepper finish.
The H Street, a Belgian style imperial pale ale. My favorite, full bodied and well balanced with smooth grapefruit notes and a hoppy finish.
Broad Street, a forgettable IPA. Really expected more with a 7.2% ABV
Batch 500, an imperial stout. What? it's like a stout and a barleywine had a baby. Light mouthfeel but with all the depth of a hearty stout.

jwetzel
02-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Beer the 6th
Throwback to 12 Jan.
Hops Grill & Brewery
Thoroughbred Red - "Our signature American ale brewed with caramel malts from the Northwest."
Drinkable, nothing fancy at this stripmall outpost of a chain brewpub.

jwetzel
02-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Beer the 7th
Throwback to 12 Jan.
Cap City, Shirlington.
Fuel
8.4%, 28 IBU, Imperial Coffee Stout
I love me a good Coffee Stout, and this one did not disappoint. Delightful!

jwetzel
02-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Beer the 8th, in several parts
18 Jan 16
Port City Brewing
Alexandria, VA

Had a lovely ride in subzero temperatures to Port City, meeting up with jrenaut, his wife, and two gremlins along the way and meeting another FS participant at Port City. They had a choose 5 flight option which I was happy to partake in.

Beer 8.1
Ways & Means: Session Rye IPA | 4.5%
"nice hop flavour w/ peppery notes from the rye"
Not a bad beer, but not my favourite. It did disappear quick, thought that might have been because it was the first one.

Beer 8.2
Monumental IPA: English IPA | 6.3%
"east coast balance of hops & malt"
Reasonable IPA. Doesn't really stand out from the pack, but I don't think that is a bad thing with some of the extreme IPAs going around now. It's nice.

Beer 8.3
Colossal One: Belgian Imperial Stout | 9.5%
"flavours of expresso & dark swiss chocolate"
Imperial Stout all right, and damn tasty.

Beer 8.4 and 8.5
Colossal IV: Belgian Quad | 9.5%
"rich dark fruit flavours of raisins & dates w/ a hint of chocolate"
I'm a sucker for a good quad, and this is a good quad. It was good enough that I had two of them!

jrenaut
02-07-2016, 01:58 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160207/4ccb3177463dcc6aaa5a2174f441ec26.jpg

Family ride to Atlas Brewing Company
Tasting flight:
Pumpernickel Stout: Quite stout. Enjoyable, though I'm not big on stouts.
Ponzi IPA: Solid. I like how Atlas focuses on non-IPAs since everyone does IPAs but still manages to make a good one
One of their saisons: Not very saisony. Nice though.

sjclaeys
02-07-2016, 03:56 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160207/4ccb3177463dcc6aaa5a2174f441ec26.jpg

Family ride to Atlas Brewing Company

You need to say what beer you had and give some thoughts on the beer.

reji
02-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Beerneuring #5 at Aslin Beer Company

Definitely my favorite brewery so far! Tasting menu again:

1. Dunley Place, a DIPA. Totally my favorite! Creamy and smooth. Very balanced with orange and floral notes. Brought home a growler of this one.
2. Mind the Hop, another DIPA. Creamy like the Dunley. Pleasant bitter hops with faint floral notes on the finish.
3. Bringing Sexy Back, an IPA. Bright citrus on the palate and nice bitterness on the finish. Makes me think of Spring.
4. Deceiver, an imperial stout. These are always hit-or-miss for me and this one hit! Balanced cocoa and malty goodness with a pleasant lingering sweetness on the finish.

What are you waiting for? Go there! It's now my go-to brewery off the WOD.

sjclaeys
02-07-2016, 05:32 PM

1. Dunley Place, a DIPA. Totally my favorite! Creamy and smooth. Very balanced with orange and floral notes. Brought home a growler of this one.
2. Mind the Hop, another DIPA. Creamy like the Dunley. Pleasant bitter hops with faint floral notes on the finish.
3. Bringing Sexy Back, an IPA. Bright citrus on the palate and nice bitterness on the finish. Makes me think of Spring.
4. Deceiver, an imperial stout. These are always hit-or-miss for me and this one hit! Balanced cocoa and malty goodness with a pleasant lingering sweetness on the finish.

Is that the brewery in Herndon? I've been wanting to go there.

reji
02-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Beerneuring #6 at Caboose Brewing Company

Another tasting of 4, none of which were particularly memorable.

1. Casey Jones, a Rye Pale Ale. Pleasant, easy to drink and slightly hoppy.
2. Local Motion, an imperial IPA. Disappointing for a DIPA. Boozy on the palate, masking any real flavor that may have been in the beer.
3. Holy Smoke, a Schwarzbier. Easy to drink and the best of the 4 I had. Balanced and not overly sweet.
4. Vanilla Bean Hobo, an imperial stout. I know better and I shouldn't have ordered this because I typically don't like sweet beers and with a name like this, it was bound to be sweet. It lived up to it's name and I couldn't finish it, even with only 2 miles left to ride.

reji
02-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Is that the brewery in Herndon? I've been wanting to go there.

Yes, it's about 1/2 mile off the WOD.

jrenaut
02-07-2016, 06:08 PM
See updated post.

sammyiam
02-09-2016, 05:45 PM
The Penn Quarter Porter, pictured here, is a bit harsher than a porter should be. That said, it's the most palatable beer they make here. 10926

jwetzel
02-09-2016, 05:49 PM
DC Brau

Beer 9.1
Citizen Belgian Style Pale | 7%
Alright. Easy drinking easy approachable Belgian style.

Beers 9.2, 9.3, 9.4
These were beers that I got jumbled and couldn't tell apart. If you like pine tree IPAs, these are for you. If you aren't, they are not for you. Beer choices made easy.
Corruption IPA | 6.5%
Nitro Corruption IPA | 6.5%
On The Wings Of Armageddon Imperial IPA | 9.2

jwetzel
02-10-2016, 11:07 AM
I've got something special planned, I am kinda excited about it.

ctankcycles
02-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Beerneuring #3

Delayed post... this was from when pdubs and I rode down to Newington and hit Forge and Fair Winds on Jan. 16. Thanks to Nick's knowledge of the trail system between Springfield and Vienna we efficiently made our way north to Vienna for a stop at Caboose Brewing. This was my first visit to Caboose and compared to most breweries I've been to in the area this place is really nice. Not your typical brewery located in a boring industrial building. And the beer, from what I can recall, was quite good. I had the Holy Smoke Scwarzbier and Vanilla Bean Hobo Imperial Stout. Nick had the Caboose Brown Ale and the Schwarzbier. We didn't eat but the food looked good. Will definitely be back again soon.

jrenaut
02-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I've got something special planned, I am kinda excited about it.

If your better half is busy and you need a partner in crime, this is me raising my hand

lordofthemark
02-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Beerneuring #6

Gordon Biersch, Navy Yard (I commuted to three blocks away this morning, so this counts)

Winterbock (a doppelbock) Appearance was dark copper. Taste was sweet biscuity malt, with some spicy herbal hops. Inoffensive, pleasant.

Glad to get back to the sideways picture tradition. Also the lighting and angle did not do Queenofthemark justice.

sjclaeys
02-19-2016, 04:54 PM

How did you get there from the W&OD? Can you ride on the Herndon Parkway to get there? Just wondering :rolleyes:

reji
02-20-2016, 06:51 AM
How did you get there from the W&OD? Can you ride on the Herndon Parkway to get there? Just wondering :rolleyes:

There's a small trail on the left off the WOD just before the Fairfax Co Pkwy (headed West). That trail takes you the back of a parking lot that opens up to Sunset Hills Road. Then it was just a tiny ride on the sidewalk to get there. See the end of this ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/488256631

reji
02-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Beerneuring #6 at Beltway Brewing

Late post from last weekend. It was a most welcome stop after battling the cold and headwind!

Had the Lumen, an IPA. Bright citrus with lemon and faint tropical (pineapple?) notes. Clean finish.

lordofthemark
02-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Beerneuring #7

Port City Brewing, Alexandria Va. Pedals and Pints Ride

Colossal 5 (recently released for the first time) an "old ale" IIRC.

Dark beer with tan head. Taste was sweet malt, toffee, and dark fruit. Good, but not my favorite from PCB.

sjclaeys
02-21-2016, 09:02 AM
Aslan Beer Company RTC. The brewery says it is a Belgian wit, Untapped says it is a Belgian golden blonde, I go with the brewery's style description. Spiciness a little more subtle than other wits, but nice slight tartness. Perfect beer to have at mile 82 of a ride.

sjclaeys
02-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Hey Beerneurers, I know that some of you have been beerneuring but have not yet posted your beers. Please do so soon. I'd like to announce the current standings.

jrenaut
02-21-2016, 03:11 PM
The Public Option:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1677/25178497145_1856a6765d_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EmWnZK)IMG_20160221_141313541 (https://flic.kr/p/EmWnZK) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr
Breakfast Porter: good
American Amber: good
Darker Shade of Pale: very good - my favorite from them
Scottish Ale: unexpectedly very interesting. Not typically a style I love but this one is good. I'm the worst at tasting notes.
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1584/25178497075_11b6676569_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EmWnYx)Flight at The Public Option (https://flic.kr/p/EmWnYx) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr
Cream ale: good
IPA: good
Nut brown: not bad. Not my thing

Really pleasantly surprised by this place. It's tiny at the moment, but the brewer and his wife are serving, it's totally relaxed. He recently retired and had always wanted to brew beer, so now he does. They're expanding slowly, and should have a lot more space soon.

reji
02-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Beerneuring #7 at Cap City in Shirlington on Saturday

Had the Cask Amber Waves Hops & Honey. Smooth with gentle hops nibbling on the back of the palate. Honey notes on the finish. I was worried it would have too much honey, but it really was a pleasant quaff. Our server, Donna, was really nice and asked how far we were riding that day. She then told us about the "crazy" people she served the previous weekend when it was bitter cold and windy and that they had planned to hit 10 breweries that day. Couldn't tell if she was impressed or thought they should have been committed. One of those "crazy" people is on my team, Team 14 Salty Dogs, and I think the other was on Team 3 Tri-cicles. You guys clearly made an impression on Donna!

jwetzel
02-24-2016, 12:57 AM
Hey Beerneurers, I know that some of you have been beerneuring but have not yet posted your beers. Please do so soon. I'd like to announce the current standings.

I guess this is me, since we ran into you on your way into Aslin as we were on our way out! Aslin was an easy find from the WOD, we took a short jaunt down Herndon Parkway, which was easy to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Beer 10.1
Red Invasion
Red Rye 7%
Eh. Good enough to finish the pour that what my wife didn't want to drink.

Beer 10.2
Small Town in Ontario
IPA 6%
Not my thing. Gave it up.

Beer 10.3
Hammer & Nail
Scotch Ale 8%
Getting better!

Beer 10.4
Rambler
American Barley Wine 12%
Good, smooth for a barley wine.

consularrider
02-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Tomorrow night we have a home brewing tasting invitation, a Black IPA, a Rye Brown Ale, a Dark IPA, a German Altbier, a summer honey ale, a Rye-Juniper Ale and maybe a few others. I'll bring my Port City or Sprecher tasting glass. Won't count for the challenge though since we'll be walking there.

lordofthemark
02-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Beerneuring #8

Mad Fox, after a visit to Bikenetics.

Mad Fox Mason's Dark Mild , a Mild Ale, only 3.3% ABV.

Malty aroma, some toffee, hint of chocolate. Taste was sweet, malty, toffee, chocolate with some subtle hop balance. Smooth. A very nice low ABV alternative to a "lite beer".

reji
02-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Beerneuring #8 at Fair Winds

Had a flight of 4:
Sessions in the Abyss, a session IPA. Light mouthfeel with a piney finish.
Howling Gale, an IPA. It was ok but I expected more taste with a 7.2% ABV.
Following Cs, a Pale Ale. Another one that was just ok. Drinkable, but hardly memorable.
Blackened Seas, a cherry porter. Finally one I liked. Light mouthfeel, but still some deep malty flavor. Cherry flavor is nicely tucked away in the background.

reji
02-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Beerneuring #9 at Forge Brew Works. Another flight of 4:

Farmhouse Ale - light caramel notes. Easy and pleasant to drink
Roggenbier - Holy moly! The server wasn't kidding about the banana flavor. Too much for me and I couldn't get past the banana to taste anything else.
Imperial Oatmeal Rye Stout - tasty even though didn't get a lot of the rye influence.
Jary Dewit - a Saison - Surprisingly bitter, though I liked it. Floral finish.

ginacico
02-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Really pleasantly surprised by this place. It's tiny at the moment, but the brewer and his wife are serving, it's totally relaxed. He recently retired and had always wanted to brew beer, so now he does. They're expanding slowly, and should have a lot more space soon.

So good to hear this! I know the owner, he worked at NatGeo and told us about his plans for Public Option when he announced his retirement. He's also a musician, and I think owning a bar really suits him. I wish them all the best.

Now I really need to get down there and try some beers!

ctankcycles
02-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Beerneuring #4

This is from Feb. 13 which had a high temp of 28°. Of course this wan't a problem for pdubs who never gets cold. First stop, Cap City. It's right down the street from me so it's easy pickings but the real key is they open at 10am. Hey, if you're planning on hitting as many breweries as we were you gotta start early. We both went for the Fuel which meets my criteria for a breakfast beer. It's a Russian Imperial Stout with 10% ABV. Strong coffee with hints of chocolate, as Nick said it's almost like a Founder's Stout but not as good, more sweet and less roasty.

ps M GO BLUE!

ctankcycles
02-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Beerneuring #5

Next up, partly due to the fact that it's the next earliest area brewery to open (at 11am), was Bluejacket. I had the Kölsch - crisp, fresh, clean, very sessionable, 4.2% ABV.

ctankcycles
02-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Beerneuring #6

On to the next one... The Public Option. We actually blew past it so had to double back about a mile and I'm glad we did. The Public Option opens at noon, not as early as Cap City (10) or Bluejacket (11), but earlier than the others we had planned which opened at 1. I guess I'd describe the atmosphere as quaint with a bit of kitsch mixed in and I mean that in a good way. The gentlemen tending bar and who I assume is the proprietor/brewer (he mentioned his wife collects the piggy salt and pepper shakers adorning all the tables) was super nice and the beer I had, a cream ale, was very cream ale-y, which is to say it was light-bodied with malty notes and a touch of sweetness. Chili was on the menu which was tempting on such a cold day but we had to keep moving so we enjoyed the complimentary pretzels, tried to tip the bartender but he flat out refused (seriously, dude would not take a tip), and moved on to the next one...

ctankcycles
02-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Beerneuring #7

DC Brau. We had been planning on riding north to 3 Stars and Hellbender but at this point it was 1pm which meant a bunch of breweries not far from The Public Option would now be open. Oh yea and I should mention that my Tri-cicles teammate Ken braved the cold temps to suck down a few cold ones with us starting at The Public Option. I had the Alpha Domina Mellis III DIPA. Nice hoppy beer similar to a Hop Slam with nice balance of sweet and bitter, 8.5 ABV.

ctankcycles
02-28-2016, 11:16 PM
Beerneuring #8

Sticking in the area next stop was Atlas. This was probably my favorite brewery scene of the day. Cool building and a good crowd. I had the Rowdy Hop Forward Rye Ale, which I've had a number of times in a can before and like it so it as nice to have it on draft. Nice crisp tasting brew with hints of spicy rye and roasted caramel. One of my favorites of the day.

ctankcycles
02-28-2016, 11:40 PM
Beerneuring #9

Next up was Bardo which is right around the corner but in typical Bardo fashion their pipes were frozen so they were closed. Another time, Bardo, another time. Being the intrepid Beerneurs we are we pressed on to another area brewery, the Right Proper Brewing Company Brookland Production House & Tasting Room (and don't you forget it). This place was packed wall to wall. Someone dropped a five and Ken asked the dude next to him if it was his five and dude said it was but we were suspect because he responded in a way that made us think it wasn't his five. I had the White Bicycles because bicycles. It's a witbier, dry, citrusy, refreshing. A good beer to end a good, if not a touch cold, day.

jrenaut
03-05-2016, 07:24 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1635/25244259080_7c67d98d78_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EsKqJd)Flight at Denizens (https://flic.kr/p/EsKqJd) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr

Denizens has some weird names for their beers. Their double IPA is called "Short Session", which is weird because a session IPA is a thing and it's nothing at all like a double IPA. Their stout is Cool Breeze - when I think cool breeze, I think pilsner or lager or something I sip on the beach. Stouts are for roaring fires in January.

I like the Sex Panther black india pale lager. It's maybe the pine flavor, i tend to like that in my beers. I didn't love the double IPA, which is weird because I love double IPAs. I feel like there's kind of two directions you can go with a DIPA. One I like, and one is what the Short Session is. The Big Red Norm was fine. Their flagship Southside rye IPA is good. I love that this is a style that is getting popular, because I like all the ones I've tried.

Food is good. The space is good - it's probably awesome when it's nice enough to be outside in the beer garden. The vibe is okay. Not our favorite, but not unpleasant.

lordofthemark
03-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Beerneuring #9. Old Ox.

Because why go far from the trail when they are right there? And the turnaround to give me 50 miles.

Finally remembered to order a flight.

9.1 Old Ox Golden Ox. A Belgian Style Ale. My favorite of the flight (I like yeasty, aromatic Belgians. ) Lots of flowers, white fruit, herbal, some sweetness. "Tastes like Springtime "

9.2 My Hoppy Place IPA. Very piney, some citrus, not too bitter. Solid IPA.
9.3 Alpha Ox. Session IPA. Meh. Somehow the elements did not hang together well. I have yet to find a session IPA I really like.
9.4 I'll be Bock. If someone took all the different lager styles - malt forward vs hoppy Pilsener , pale lager vs dark - and tried to create the golden mean - dark but not real dark, malt and hops balanced, more flavorful than an AAL but still pretty restrained, this would be it.

reji
03-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Beerneuring #11/lunch stop after touring the Building Museum. Had their IPA which was ok. Light citrus, medium hops. Also tasted the Czech pilsner which I liked, even though I don't normally gravitate towards pilsners. No notes, I just had a taste.

reji
03-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Had the Velvet, which Untappd classifies as a Lager - American Amber/Red. This was was ridiculously smooth. Had malty notes with a hint of honey. Slightly bitter finish. I think this was my favorite of the day. Sad to not finish it, but we were headed off to our next stop.

reji
03-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Had a set of 6 to taste:

Forbidden Jacket a Kolsch. Light lime notes. Crisp simple finish.
Anacostia Delta, a Farmhouse Ale. Mmmm, I taste spring!!!
Fields of Friendly Strife, another Farmhouse Ale. Whoa! Tart, funky and earthy. I just wanted to sit by the fire after dinner and sip this one slowly.
The Boxer, an IPA. Orange and pine. Pleasant hops with a medium finish.
Rheinhard De Vos, a sour ale. Cherry infused, not too tart. Sour ales aren't my thing.
Figure 8, a Scotch Ale. Huge fig nose. Big fig flavor, but not overly sweet which I find in too many scotch ales.

reji
03-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Went there for the Ice Breaker, a DIPA. Also tasted the Tmavy, a dark lager. Liked the Ice Breaker enough to bring some back. The citrus punches you in the face but then a smooth finish leaves you wanting more. By the way, if you buy a 4pack to bring back, do a better job than I did in packing it for the return home. 3 made it; RIP the 4th. The Tmavy was solid and balanced with sweet malt flavors dancing with the lingering bitter finish.

sjclaeys
03-13-2016, 07:14 PM
With less than a week to go, here are the Beerneuring rankings as of 7:00 pm, March 13. If you have unposed visits, get them in! Seeing as some may be Beerneuring Saturday night, all entries must be posted noon Sunday, March 20.

reji - 14
jwetzel - 10
ctankcycles - 9
lordofthemark -9
jrenaut - 8
kwarkentien - 2
consularrider - 1
Kitty - 1
sammyiam - 1
Sunyata - 1

jwetzel
03-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Failed attempt. Sehkraft Brewing in Arlington says they brew on their website, but upon arrival I was informed that they are about 5 weeks away from starting to brew. So I had this delightful Imperial Stout from Goochland, VA. Licking hole Creek Coffee Obsession at 11.5%. They poured it at ice cold crap lite temperature so I had to hold it for 10 minutes to warm it up. Nice, soft coffee notes. I'm about halfway through as I write this and noticing the 11.5% status, not via taste, but via my lack of dinner. This is a really nice beer. It's a damn shame they didn't make it here.

sjclaeys
03-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Failed attempt. Sehkraft Brewing in Arlington says they brew on their website, but upon arrival I was informed that they are about 5 weeks away from starting to brew. So I had this delightful Imperial Stout from Goochland, VA. Licking hole Creek Coffee Obsession at 11.5%. They poured it at ice cold crap lite temperature so I had to hold it for 10 minutes to warm it up. Nice, soft coffee notes. I'm about halfway through as I write this and noticing the 11.5% status, not via taste, but via my lack of dinner. This is a really nice beer. It's a damn shame they didn't make it here.

When did you go there? I was there tonight (Monday night) because my son was playing in the band.

jwetzel
03-14-2016, 11:47 PM
When did you go there? I was there tonight (Monday night) because my son was playing in the band.
It was tonight! I left about 3 or 4 songs in, I was digging the brass!

sjclaeys
03-15-2016, 09:42 AM
It was tonight! I left about 3 or 4 songs in, I was digging the brass!

Yeah, the trumpets were great. My son was on the keyboard. They are all from Arlington and go to the Berklee College of Music in Boston.

Steve O
03-15-2016, 11:07 AM
With less than a week to go, here are the Beerneuring rankings as of 7:00 pm, March 13. If you have unposed visits, get them in! Seeing as some may be Beerneuring Saturday night, all entries must be posted noon Sunday, March 20.

reji - 14
jwetzel - 10
ctankcycles - 9
lordofthemark -9
jrenaut - 8
kwarkentien - 2
consularrider - 1
Kitty - 1
sammyiam - 1
Sunyata - 1
Ahem.
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring&p=134451#post134451
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring&p=130733#post130733
And all the way from Los Angeles:
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring&p=131056#post131056

sjclaeys
03-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Ahem.
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring&p=134451#post134451
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring&p=130733#post130733
And all the way from Los Angeles:
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring&p=131056#post131056

Sorry, I had totaled up your entries but it somehow didn't make it to my post. You still have a ways to go for the win.

jrenaut
03-15-2016, 11:55 AM
If my wife would ever post to the forum, she'd be tied with me, since we've done all our visits together. Alas.

dkel
03-15-2016, 11:57 AM
If my wife would ever post to the forum, she'd be tied with me, since we've done all our visits together. Alas.

Team D-Rock 4eva!

jrenaut
03-16-2016, 08:01 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1548/25839681735_f4d74d1fb8_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Fnn894)
Franklins Twisted Turtle Pale Ale (https://flic.kr/p/Fnn894) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr

Twisted Turtle pale ale: I didn't realize this was an ESB until after I ordered it. It probably should have been warmer but they probably aren't set up for that. I could TOTALLY taste the English Kent Golding hops. They're totally different from those other hops.

Private IPA - really nice start, not quite perfect on the finish

Highland Hugh - wee heavy scotch ale - staff recommendation. It was pleasant. Didn't taste like 8%.

jrenaut
03-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Team D-Rock 4eva!

Not only that, but if my KIDS were old enough to taste at all the breweries we dragged them to, they'd have 8 and 7.

jwetzel
03-17-2016, 05:57 PM
Denizens
McRamerez, a Tequilla barrel-aged Irish style export stout. 7.7%.
Good stout, nice body. After a few sips the tequila starts to show some bite at the back of the mouth. Is different, but I think a bit distracting from the beer itself. If you don't mind that kind of bite, you'll probably like this one.

jwetzel
03-17-2016, 06:51 PM
3 Stars
Raspberry Dissonance

I chose this one because it was only 3.6% and I want to make it home tonight. Tastes like a tart raspberry.

jwetzel
03-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Hellbender
Southern Torrent
Saison, 5%. Traditional farmhouse ale. Light and crisp with hints of apple and pear

Nice beer. More lager-y than a saison in my opinion, but I'm enjoying it.

jwetzel
03-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Right Proper, Brookland
Häxan
Robust Porter 7%
Named after the Scandinavian silent film documentary on witchcraft, Häcan is Brewer with an assortment of roasted malts and oats. Enjoy notes of coffee and chocolate frosting in this full bodied Poe we. Take home a growler and have it with vanilla ice cream. Your life will never be the same.

This would probably be fantastic with ice cream. It's pretty good now.

jwetzel
03-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Right Proper, Shaw
Two for the Seasaw
Read the pic for the discription.

Nice beer. I'm judging of all the green about. I'm wearing none, as my Scandinavian ancestory doesn't say celebrate today. This tour was planned, and then I realized it was St Pattrics day, and I had a sad. But yea, there was beer, and a rousing cry rose up above the land, and it was good.

lordofthemark
03-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Beerneuring #10 Bluejacket.

As promised long ago, I took advantage of the presence of Bluejacket to directly combine commuting and Beerneuring. While I walked from the office to the brewery, my bike was parked as close to where I drank as it often is at Capitol City. And of course I rode home right afterwards. So, it counts.

As for the beer, it was a Bluejacket Duchamp, a farmhouse ale or saison. It had a rich funky yeasty herbal tropical fruit aroma . Taste was earthy, peppery, slightly tangy.Medium body. 11288

sjclaeys
03-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Right Proper, Shaw
Two for the Seasaw
Read the pic for the discription.

Nice beer. I'm judging of all the green about. I'm wearing none, as my Scandinavian ancestory doesn't say celebrate today. This tour was planned, and then I realized it was St Pattrics day, and I had a sad. But yea, there was beer, and a rousing cry rose up above the land, and it was good.

Does Right Proper produce at both locations?

jwetzel
03-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Does Right Proper produce at both locations?

Yes. They actually make slightly different beers at the two locations.

jwetzel
03-18-2016, 11:14 PM
DuClaw, Bel Air
Bad Moon Porter
Robust American Porter 5.1%

A complex, full-bodied Robust Porter with coffee and chocolate flavours balanced by a light hop presence that gives its smooth finish.

Eh. I don't find this that smooth. Coffee notes.

sjclaeys
03-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Yes. They actually make slightly different beers at the two locations.

Thanks. I saw a Right Proper sticker in a Tokyo craft beer bar.

ctankcycles
03-19-2016, 07:42 PM
Beerneuring #10

On March 6 Nick and I were joined by Zam for another solid, fun day of riding and drinking. We rode out the W&OD to Ocelot which was not easy to access by bike (very over the river and through the woods type route) but we made the best of it. I had the Marbles and then the Space Cadet. The Space Cadet was better, galaxy hops, American IPA, some nice citrus notes. Apparently Ocelot takes its name from a Phish tune of the same name (Ocelot! Ocelot! Where have you gone? Morning is over and noon slouches on...). I'm closing in on 60 shows so I tend to think this connection is pretty rad.

ctankcycles
03-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Beerneuring #11

Next up, Lost Rhino. Beer was good, pretzel was better. Seriously this was one of the best pretzels I've ever had and the cheese only made it better because, well, cheese. I had the Dawn Patrol Session IPA. I'm not much of a morning person so I don't usually pull dawn patrol duty but this IPA was sessionable so I feel like it lived up to its name. Easy drinking, nothing offensive about it.

ctankcycles
03-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Beerneuring #12

Making our way back down the W&OD we popped into Old Ox. For those who haven't been it's right off the trail at about mile 25 (I think). I feel like this place has more character than the last time I was there. I had the Hoppy Place, 6.5 ABV, and it lived up to its name as it was indeed hoppy. As with most Old Ox brews I've tried this one hit the mark, not overly bitter and smooth going down.

ctankcycles
03-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Beerneuring #12

Continuing down the W&OD the next warehouse park brewery was Aslin. This was my first time here and it was fine. Nothing fancy, does the trick. I mean, they have beer so how bad could it be? I had the Animal (Farm) House, ABV 5.9%, and it was pretty ok. Sort of your typical saison with citrus notes and a dry finish. Solid effort for the fine folks at Aslin.

jrenaut
03-19-2016, 08:17 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1710/25284103443_89f22776e1_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EwgD4Z)
Old Ox Brewery (https://flic.kr/p/EwgD4Z) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr

I remarked sometime early on in the competition that round trip from my house to Old Ox and back is almost exactly a metric century. It was just too perfect to pass up.

I had a flight of the Golden Ox (Belgian golden ale), War Wagon Red (American red ale), Hoppy Place (IPA) and Black Ox (rye porter). They were all nice and paired well with the chicken over rice and chickpeas with salad from the kabob food truck outside.

ctankcycles
03-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Beerneuring #13

The final brewery of the day was Mad Fox in Fall Church aka The Little City. I had the Orange Whip IPA which is an American Style IPA. I like IPA and I like America so what's not to like? MAKE IPA GREAT AGAIN is what I say and with this brew I think we're on the right track. This isn't one of those Kenyan born, Muslim IPAs you're always hearing about. No, this IPA is the real McCoy, born and bred right here in the Good Ol' U S of A. USA!!! USA!!! USA!!! If you encounter anyone who thinks differently I encourage you to beat them down and I'll even pay your legal bills. USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

The over the river and through the woods section I mentioned previously...

jrenaut
03-19-2016, 08:22 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1470/25287801923_44f9f5a79f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EwAAuT)
IMG_20160319_143904824 (https://flic.kr/p/EwAAuT) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr

Beltway mostly brews other people's beer, but they do have some of their own stuff, and everything they were serving was brewed onsite. I had a flight of Young Veterans Pride Session Pale Ale, Lost Rhino Milk Stout, BWF Session IPA, Beltway Berliner Weiss, Grimm Subliminal Message, and Georgetown Trading Company 1776 Brown Ale.

My tasting was interrupted by a literal busload of loud clowns who came in just after I did. Also I had to put on more clothes because 30 miles in the rain then hanging out in chilly breweries was really getting to me. I had to blow on my hands for a minute when I arrived to warm them enough to be able to pull my lock out of my bag. Luckily I brought my Moose Mitts - I put them on before I left, and I was comfortable after that.

jrenaut
03-19-2016, 08:26 PM
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1680/25916508065_323875a0ef_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Fu9SVX)
IMG_20160319_160447580 (https://flic.kr/p/Fu9SVX) by Jon (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/), on Flickr

I made a friend at Caboose. He's a cyclist looking to do more rides in the city, so I sent him to my favorite bar and gave him my email, so maybe next year he'll do Freezing Saddles.

I had a flight of Casey Jones rye pale ale, Band Wagon IPA, Car Hopper IPA, and Local Motion Imperial IPA. Man, I love a good Imperial IPA.

ctankcycles
03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Beerneuring #14

I've been holding on to this little nugget in my back jersey pocket (the right one, I keep my phone in the left). This is the ONLY beerneuring outing I did without Nick and for that I feel a little guilty but whatever, I don't think he's going to get around to posting. Prove me wrong Nick! The idea was to get together at Gordon Biersch for a joint happy hour with Team 13 (I'm on 3 so I guess there's some affinity there) but it ended up being just me and Judd Lumberjack. Now, I've never imbibed with a real lumberjack before and when I entered I was definitely looking for a guy in a red and black wool buffalo check outfit aka the Pennsylvania Tuxedo (look it up) but it turns out my man Judd deceived me by foregoing the flannel and opting for civilian clothes. Maybe he didn't want to scare the locals. Whatever the case he has a beard and is pretty tall so that will have to do, okay? Okay. I had the Kölsch which is a German style beer so obviously inferior to the American style IPA I prefer but what's a guy to do, we were at GB. I found it to be crisp and refreshing, just what a genuine working man needs after a hard day of labor (or sitting in front of a computer). P.S. if the pic looks like a pic of a pic on a computer screen it's because it is. I don't have it on my phone anymore so I had to take a pic of my Strava post from the ride. Deal with it.

And with that, I shall ride off into the sunset. Thanks to all who helped organize and keep track of all these beerneuring shenanigans!

sjclaeys
03-19-2016, 10:56 PM
So, I rode out to Purcellville and back, with the back part being in a cold rain. Stopped at Old Ox, inhaled the chicken over rice from the food truck and had their saison. It was good. Left a puddle from the water draining from my shoes despite the covers. Still checked out the their barrel program. Really like that they write the type of beer and yeast in each barrel. Inspired me even more to start my own sour/funky beer program.

jwetzel
03-20-2016, 10:49 AM
The night of my failed trip to Sehkraf I was visited Rock Bottom. Was a easy trip out the Custis to Wilson. Had a Porter because it was a cooler night and felt like a Porter. Was ok as a beer, had good conversation with the bartender and bar mates though.

jwetzel
03-20-2016, 10:58 AM
I went to District Chophouse on train free day. I had a beer, it mostly tasted like beer. It looked like this.

sjclaeys
03-20-2016, 02:54 PM
The entries are tallied and here are the final standings for 2016 BASF Beerneuring!

jwetzel - 18
ctankcycles - 15
reji - 14
jrenaut - 12
lordofthemark - 10
SteveO - 3
kwarkentien - 2
consularrider - 1
Kitty - 1
sammyiam - 1
Sunyata - 1

Congratulations to jwetzel for winning and thanks to everyone for participating, especially ctankcycles, reji, jrenaut and lordofthemark for great showings. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the final freezing saddles. There are some beers in Australia with my name on them which I need to get to know. I'll let you know what I figure out for giving this year's award.

dkel
03-20-2016, 03:02 PM
What!? I can't believe my name isn't on there even once! Oh, wait—yes, I can.

consularrider
04-21-2016, 04:05 AM
April 23rd is German Beer Day!

Courtesy www.kleiner-kalendar.de: Some medium-sized and family-breweries in southern Germany have joined together in the
"Gütegemeinschaft tradition beer", and make special limited edition brews under the name of "vintage beer 23:04." These brews
will ferment for about 120 days, and will go on sale the end of August. The Sud is limited to about 6000 liters per brewery, each
bottle bears a serial number. They all, of course, follow the strict German Purity Law. Read below and then find time to enjoy
your own in this spring sunshine!

German Beer Purity Law - 500th Anniversary

Barley, hops and water – and nothing else. For around five centuries, the German Beer Purity Law has determined what can and
cannot go into German beer. It is the oldest food regulation in the world still in force today. The origins of the Reinheitsgebot, as it
is known in German, are a matter of some dispute. Not that it makes any difference to the quality of the beer. The Reinheitsgebot is
rigorously adhered to everywhere in the country. Brewing is an ancient craft in Germany, dating back to at least the late Bronze
Age, generally considered to have lasted in Central Europe between roughly 2000 and 700 B.C. The ancient Germans did not invent
brewing, but they were probably the first Europeans to make beer. Beer is a product of chance, it is said to have originated some
6000 years ago in Mesopotamia. The Germanic ancestors have made beer drinking a tradition as finds of beer amphorae from
around 800 BC show. Beer started its conquest quite slowly but became gradually more and more successful.
In the Early Middle Ages, mainly monks busied themselves with the art of beer brewing as they said that “liquid does not break the
fast.” Even today, there are breweries that still produce beer according to the old recipes of the monks. Soon merchants and traders
discovered the art of brewing, too. With the development of international trade routes began the era of the great merchants, wealthy
tradesmen and guilds. Naturally, the beer brewers benefited from the economic boom as well. Above all, the cities that had been
united in the Hanseatic League since 1358 experienced a boost.

By insisting in 1516 that the “only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be barley, hops and water” the German Beer Purity
Law (Reinheitsgebot) ensured the quality of German beer. Before 1516, the northern German brewers with their strict guild rules had
the best beer quality, but the Reinheitsgebot changed that. The Bavarians quickly increased their product quality and some think
they surpassed the northern guilds. However, in the expanding brewing industry, there were naturally some misconducts as well.
Many brewers were exposed as adulterators that wanted to get rich at the expense of the topers.

The year 2016 marks the 500th anniversary of the Reinheitsgebot, but it is not the first law about beer: While Bavarian brewers claim
it dates back to a document from 1516 and their Thuringian colleagues point to a local trading regulation passed in 1434, the Bavarian
city of Augsburg already began very early to put the lid on the adulteration of beer. As early as 1143 Augsburg passed a first purity law!
The municipal law had stipulated since 1156 that no beer of inferior quality is allowed to be brewed. Augsburg can claim that the city
provides the oldest evidence of middle-class brewing within our cultural area. Today, there are still four large breweries in Augsburg.
The brewery “Riegele” was founded in 1386 and is considered one of the oldest in the world. Prior to the Reinheitsgebot, many starchcontaining
botanicals other than malted barley were common additions to the people’s drink as were many flavorings other than
hops. Wherever beer was brewed, not just in Bavaria, brewers sometimes added legumes, tubers, tree bark, rushes, herbs, and
mushrooms to their beers. Some of these could make the drinker sick, others were downright poisonous! Brewers used these obscure
ingredients mostly to save money in raw materials and to mask off-flavors after their beers went bad. After 1516, however, such
practices simply had to stop, first in Bavaria and eventually in all of Germany. As a result, only good beers reached the
consumer, and bad beers had to be poured down the drain.

German brewers are justifiably proud that, even today, they still make all their beers from the same natural ingredients that were
mentioned in the 500-year old Beer Purity Law. While many breweries the world over now add cheap barley substitutes such as rice
and corn as well as chemical process enhancers, such as artificial enzymes and head stabilizers, to their beers, Bavarian brewers are
adamantly old-fashioned. They regard their continued dedication to the best, simplest, and all-natural ingredients, combined with
their insuperable craftsmanship, as an indispensable foundation of the consistently high quality of their beers. Few people are aware
that beer in Germany is very localized. Most beers are local products rarely found outside their towns of origin! There’s this air of
discovery around beer: wherever you go, there’s going to be a beer you’ve never heard of. There are outstanding beer destinations
beyond the Oktoberfest with the best beers Germany has to offer. Explore these destinations and discover regional tastes. Bypass the
industrial breweries and scout out family-run breweries that have been in business for more than 600 years. More than 90 percent of
the 1,339 breweries in Germany are independent, giving rise to a huge diversity of beers.

For more German beer information, click here (http://blog.insightvacations.com/a-quick-guide-to-beer-in-germany/) for a “Quick Guide to Beer In Germany”.

So, who's coming to Frankfurt during #BAFS 2017 for some Beerneuring (http://www.glaabsbraeu.de/)?

sjclaeys
04-21-2016, 09:50 AM
The story of the Reinheitsgebot law can raise a spirited debate. On the one hand, its constraints forced German brewers to develop brewing techniques to develop excellent beers made within tight parameters. On the other hand, German brewers' general lack of creativity in using different ingredients and developing new styles is also attributed to the Reinheitsgebot. Which is why some think that it is a four letter word:
I don't think that there is a right or wrong position on this. It is just a questions of preference, do you like classical music or do you like jazz?

consularrider
04-22-2016, 04:21 PM
Maybe a pre-#BAFS 2017 Beernearing ride in the Hoosier state in September to attend the Hoosier Hops and Harvest Festival in Story, IN (http://www.hoosierhopsandharvest.com/) (it's not Eeire (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101088/) at all).

Here's my century route (12157471) to get there from Bloomington via Nashville and back via Bedford.