PDA

View Full Version : Data and techie stuff thread for BAFS 2016

Steve O
12-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Just wondering if it would be possible to link the old Freezing Saddles web pages somewhere on the FreezingSaddles.com page? In addition to the team and individual points, it would be great to see the previous Data Exploration, Pointless data, etc. Even the pics would be great, although I think they vanished after a certain number or something. Essentially the whole thing. Even if they are just static screenshots or something, it would definitely be cool.

I think the 2013 page is still somewhere on the internet, but not sure where.

cvcalhoun
12-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Those pages are no longer on the Freezing Saddles site, because the data was cleared out. However, if you go to the registration page for this year, there is a link to the archived individual scores from last year, which in turn links to archived team scores. (You may have to click an x on the header thingie on the individual scores to see the link to the team scores.)

Steve O
12-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Those pages are no longer on the Freezing Saddles site, because the data was cleared out. However, if you go to the registration page for this year, there is a link to the archived individual scores from last year, which in turn links to archived team scores. (You may have to click an x on the header thingie on the individual scores to see the link to the team scores.)

Correct. But that's just a little peak into last year's info. I was thinking it would be cool to archive the 2015 and 2014 and 2013 complete sites with the information all in there somewhere. For historical interest.

ShawnoftheDread
12-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Correct. But that's just a little peak into last year's info. I was thinking it would be cool to archive the 2015 and 2014 and 2013 complete sites with the information all in there somewhere. For historical interest.

The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, and it will quickly and rightly forget that we rode here.

cvcalhoun
12-15-2015, 04:06 PM

You'll have to ask hozn about that one. The database was cleared out at the end of each year. The Internet Archive didn't archive the site for the first time until the beginning of 2015. So 2013 and 2014 are gone for good already, unless hozn saved the data he deleted somewhere (and is willing to put it back somewhere).

The most recent pics from 2015 are still available via this link (https://web.archive.org/web/20151117115048/http://freezingsaddles.com/).

hozn
12-15-2015, 05:20 PM
I will make an good, but timeboxed effort to get previous year(s) up for reference. I agree it is a good idea. We definitely have the old datasets, though probably the databases from previous years won't be compatible anymore.

Steve O
12-30-2015, 10:39 PM
What hashtag should be used to have recent photos appear on the Freezing Saddles home page?
Instagram? Any other social media?

Also, any specifics that can be provided to new players regarding the web site I'm sure would be appreciated.

cvcalhoun
12-31-2015, 12:54 AM
What hashtag should be used to have recent photos appear on the Freezing Saddles home page?
Instagram? Any other social media?

Also, any specifics that can be provided to new players regarding the web site I'm sure would be appreciated.

Last year, the hashtag for Instagram was #BAFS2015 (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7958-FS2015-Photo-Contest/page2&p=105060#post105060). I'm assuming that it will be #BAFS2016 this year.

However, the only way that photos appeared on the Freezing Saddles home page last year was if they got associated with a Strava ride (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7958-FS2015-Photo-Contest/page2&p=105060#post105060) (which at that point happened only if you linked your Strava and Instagram accounts). This year, Strava has its own photos feature (http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/previews/new-strava-update-includes-photos-feature), which does not require use of Instagram. You would have to check with hozn as to whether photos that are added directly to Strava, as opposed to getting synced from Instagram, will automatically show up under recent photos on the Freezing Saddles site if they are associated with a ride that is counted for Freezing Saddles, or whether some other mechanism is required.

hozn
12-31-2015, 12:04 PM
We will need to update the code to support the non-insta photos, but this shall be done.

jwetzel
01-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Would this be a good place to ask about a leader board issue? The two people currently holding us all on their shoulders only have 1 point each, but show 1 mile and 1 day ridden. Other 1 mile/1 day riders show 11 points. Did they just ride short miles?

vvill
01-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Would this be a good place to ask about a leader board issue? The two people currently holding us all on their shoulders only have 1 point each, but show 1 mile and 1 day ridden. Other 1 mile/1 day riders show 11 points. Did they just ride short miles?

Yes. If you ride < 1.0 mile then you don't get the bonus 10 points (per day).

Note that Strava records in metric/SI measurements under the hood, so there is rounding involved. I think there was an issue in a previous year where some people unintentionally ended up with 0.99 mile rides.

The leaderboard also rounds to the nearest mile. One of those two riders did a 0.6 mile ride, for example.

Hancockbs
01-10-2016, 11:34 AM
For some reason my rides from Jan 1, 2, & 3 don't show up in the stats. It may be because I didn't join the FS Strava club until then, but I thought it would go back and grab those rides. Any ideas how to get them included?

hozn
01-10-2016, 02:14 PM
For some reason my rides from Jan 1, 2, & 3 don't show up in the stats. It may be because I didn't join the FS Strava club until then, but I thought it would go back and grab those rides. Any ideas how to get them included?
Do they show up on the "my rides" page? -- which you get to by clicking "Log In" on upper right of FS website.

Hancockbs
01-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Do they show up on the "my rides" page? -- which you get to by clicking "Log In" on upper right of FS website.

Yes, they do show on the FS site, but don't show on the Strava FS or Team 13 groups.

hozn
01-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Not sure, then, sorry. If they are on the FS site, they are "in Strava". Typically when you look at a club page you are just seeing past week, so that is likely the issue?

Hancockbs
01-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Not sure, then, sorry. If they are on the FS site, they are "in Strava". Typically when you look at a club page you are just seeing past week, so that is likely the issue?

It seems to have self corrected. Thanks for looking into it.

Vicegrip
01-11-2016, 07:18 AM
Is not a big thing all in all but can we find Mark P and get a elevation entry cleanup? I am missing my Fav chart.

Raymo853
01-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Got a tech question. Is there a way to force a refresh of the data? There is a weird and incorrect outlier in the elevation data. Mark P (http://www.strava.com/athletes/749765) had a ride that showed a very high and false elevation gain that was corrected later. (How was it corrected? Stava runs such elevation profile fixing algorithms in the background. Using digital elevation models in place of GPS or smart phone collection data.)

He is shown in the BAFS2016 records as having 123,889 feet of gain over just 152 miles. Or an average of about 15% grade the whole time. His own Strava profile does not show that, but only a gain of 4,524 feet.

hozn
01-11-2016, 09:51 AM
The data should automatically refresh (every night?). How long ago was this corrected? It may be that our "is-it-different?" algorithm is not accounting for changes in elevation data only.

Vicegrip
01-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Been orbiting all weekend.

hozn
01-11-2016, 10:55 AM
I will clear it out!

Raymo853
01-11-2016, 11:51 AM
The data should automatically refresh (every night?). How long ago was this corrected? It may be that our "is-it-different?" algorithm is not accounting for changes in elevation data only.

He has been an outlier on the graph for many days. At least since last week.

jwetzel
01-11-2016, 12:34 PM
I see that the FS site reports avg temp for my rides. Is there an easy way to calculate and report (perhaps under pointless) an average temperature for all of a users rides? Give each rider an average riding temperature?

Vicegrip
01-11-2016, 02:25 PM
I will clear it out!You rock, Thanks.

Hmmm What is the chance that you can set Eric and Subby to report only 3/4 actual miles? I might be able to hook you up with some babysitting via my now certified babysitter daughter. ;)

hozn
01-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Done & done.

Vicegrip
01-12-2016, 12:28 PM
I will clear it out! Major Tom is back. Will give him credit he has gained even more altitude this ride.

hozn
01-12-2016, 01:00 PM
I probably need a bounds check on the import to just reject unrealistic elevations.

hozn
01-23-2016, 08:42 PM
I am (slowly) building a new user interface for FS and was playing around with a new leaderboard idea that visually broke down the contribution by team members. (Note: this is not current data.)

http://i66.tinypic.com/b983np.png

I don't know that I'll actually implement this, as the only way I've found to achieve this using Highcharts is to create a massive matrix of athletes and their contributes to *each* team. In practice this means there are 265 data series but for any one "category" (the teams) most of those series have a value of "0". This has some side effects when you hover over to see who is accruing the points.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Perhaps most interesting was simply that the data seemed less notable than I might have expected (I thought there might be bigger discrepancies between contributions of the "main players").

Also the static image is not as useful, as the one I have where I can hover over to see that, for example that Jamie W is a disproportionately large contributor to Team 8's points.

I have another concept I'd like to incorporate related to how "hot" (or "cold") someone is riding -- compared to their typical point accrual patterns. E.g. that Jamie W guy is riding a lot less this week than previous weeks; that might be information worthy of a visualization (table) on the homepage.

Finally, I'll probably make a development version of this interface available (maybe beta.freezingsaddles.com) for commentary on these other visualization ideas.

dkel
01-23-2016, 08:52 PM
Ouch! What did Jamie ever do to you? ;)

hozn
01-23-2016, 09:05 PM
Ouch! What did Jamie ever do to you? ;)
Maybe bad example :-) I am sure Jamie is riding a little less this week .... but then aren't we all.

srt112
01-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Why aren't my snow rides in the Individual Snowiest Ride data? I didn't see some of my teammates' rides either. Also I'm enjoying looking at the rest of the data, great job its a lot of fun for me, thank you!

Steve O
01-24-2016, 05:27 PM
Why aren't my snow rides in the Individual Snowiest Ride data? I didn't see some of my teammates' rides either. Also I'm enjoying looking at the rest of the data, great job its a lot of fun for me, thank you!

Were you riding while it was actually snowing or only in the snow? It counts riding time during actual snowfall. However, it's not perfect, since conditions at any particular location may not perfectly match up with weather data.

Kitty
01-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to see all of the riders and miles for a single day in either the FS data page or on Strava? It will help me adjudicate my pointless prize, and it would be great if I don't have to do a running spreadsheet by hand.

jrenaut
01-24-2016, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to see all of the riders and miles for a single day in either the FS data page or on Strava? It will help me adjudicate my pointless prize, and it would be great if I don't have to do a running spreadsheet by hand.
PM me exactly what you need and I can probably take care of it for you

vvill
01-24-2016, 08:52 PM

I also wonder if there is some issue with this, as there are almost no snowiest ride entries from yesterday despite there being folks out there during the snow. Perhaps the weather data isn't available yet.

wheels&wings
01-24-2016, 09:11 PM
I wondered about the snow data too. I looked at that section after riding through the icy snowstorm last Wednesday night. The chart seemed to indicate I’d not ridden in snow (really?! :)) Not a big deal… I was just grateful to have made it home.

hozn
01-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Do note that the weather data only updates once a day. And it is only as good as wunderground's observations for the station that claims to be appropriate for the start location (either location name -- e.g. "Vienna, VA" or lat/lon if there is no matching location name). And there might be bugs in my code too :) (Though that part is pretty simple.)

ewilliams0305
01-25-2016, 09:30 AM
Do note that the weather data only updates once a day. And it is only as good as wunderground's observations for the station that claims to be appropriate for the start location (either location name -- e.g. "Vienna, VA" or lat/lon if there is no matching location name). And there might be bugs in my code too :) (Though that part is pretty simple.)

I noticed this last year... It's a VA conspiracy! You'll notice all the "SNOW" has only been in Virgina. I think Silver Spring in particular must be lacking data. Caleb and I are probably some of the only people to actually ride around 6pm friday during some of the peak snowfall. Maybe because we were riding single track in the middle of the forest if didn't count... I can tell you that we "hiked" I mean "biked" about 12 miles in complete white out. Sligo creek pkwy had about 2 inches on the way out, on the way back about 5-6 in just about 2 hours. I thought we would be sleeping in the park for sure.

consularrider
01-25-2016, 10:23 AM
Well, none of my rides in Kyiv when it's been snowing got any credit either. I have at least four days where snow has been falling during my ride, but not much accumulation and the rides have been fairly short.

hozn
01-25-2016, 10:25 AM
If someone can PM/email me some specific snow-falling rides, I will look into the data to ensure there isn't a bug. There have been some problems with weather sync lately too, which could be the culprit.

consularrider
01-25-2016, 01:47 PM
If someone can PM/email me some specific snow-falling rides, I will look into the data to ensure there isn't a bug. There have been some problems with weather sync lately too, which could be the culprit.

done

DismalScientist
01-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Probably the closest US weather station to Kyiv is Nome, AK, which is notoriously dry.

Rod Smith
01-25-2016, 04:19 PM
It snowed during this ride though not as heavy as predicted. https://www.strava.com/activities/476870582

elwbikes
01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure how Strava's heat maps work, but do you know if it would be possible to create a BAFS heat map, or heat maps by team? Please let me know if this is a possibility, thanks!

hozn
01-26-2016, 11:54 AM
I can provide you/someone with activity IDs if they want to generate heat maps or look into how this is done.

elwbikes
01-26-2016, 05:29 PM
I can provide you/someone with activity IDs if they want to generate heat maps or look into how this is done.

Is that easy or hard? Basically, I want an easy way to figure out my "around the country" and "around the world" prizes. Alternately, I could ask people to self-submit and then check. Happy to learn how to do it, thank you!

hozn
01-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Is that easy or hard? Basically, I want an easy way to figure out my "around the country" and "around the world" prizes. Alternately, I could ask people to self-submit and then check. Happy to learn how to do it, thank you!
I don't know. I have never made a Strava heat map. But you are welcome to research it ;-)

jwetzel
01-27-2016, 08:38 AM
I don't know. I have never made a Strava heat map. But you are welcome to research it ;-)

This page may be useful. http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/multi-ride-mapper/

elwbikes
01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
This page may be useful. http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/multi-ride-mapper/

Oh, thanks! Except I wish I could look at the entire FS community's Strava rides. HMM....

hozn
01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/layer-heatmap

If someone wants to tackle that, I will expose the API to return GPX for the routes.

chris_s
01-28-2016, 08:53 AM
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/layer-heatmap

If someone wants to tackle that, I will expose the API to return GPX for the routes.

I'll do it! Hook me up!

hozn
01-28-2016, 10:24 AM
I'll do it! Hook me up!
Darn it! I mean, awesome! :-)

Ping me at hans-at-velum.net and we will discuss api.

elwbikes
01-28-2016, 12:52 PM
You guys are awesome!!!!

Amalitza
01-29-2016, 08:26 AM
With the increase in number of participants, it's no longer possible for most of us (well, me) to find ourselves on one of my favorite charts: http://freezingsaddles.com/explore/indiv_elev_dist

Would it be a difficult change to have your own bubble appear on top when you are logged in?

Steve O
01-29-2016, 08:59 AM
With the increase in number of participants, it's no longer possible for most of us (well, me) to find ourselves on one of my favorite charts: http://freezingsaddles.com/explore/indiv_elev_dist

Would it be a difficult change to have your own bubble appear on top when you are logged in?

I've been riding up a bunch of extra hills in an attempt to move my bubble above the crowd. Getting close.

Amalitza
01-29-2016, 11:01 AM
I've been riding up a bunch of extra hills in an attempt to move my bubble above the crowd. Getting close.

Tried that.
https://www.strava.com/activities/480881666/overview

Nearly as I can tell, I'd have to do nothing but ride up and down this hill for the rest of the winter to move up past IanB who has 234 miles to my 238, but over 16K ft of climbing. How is this even possible?

hozn
01-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Tried that.
https://www.strava.com/activities/480881666/overview

Nearly as I can tell, I'd have to do nothing but ride up and down this hill for the rest of the winter to move up past IanB who has 234 miles to my 238, but over 16K ft of climbing. How is this even possible?

Yeah, the data looks accurate for IanB. He was riding some mountains, I guess!

As for the chart, there's no easy way [that I am aware of] to specify order/z-layer of the bubbles, or even color. But I acknowledge that it's a lot less usable than it used to be. We could probably provide some filtering (e.g. show me just my team, etc.). We're also switching over [slowly, amidst other tasks] to Highcharts for the charts, which might make it easier to tweak the display of the data.

chris_s
01-29-2016, 12:33 PM

I just sent hozn some code that may make it possible to push your bubble to the forefront automatically. In the meantime, I've created a bookmarklet that does the same job that you could try if you're feeling brave.

Just go to this URL:

http://mizook.com/bubble.asp?u=<your username goes here with any spaces replaced with a plus sign>
For Example: http://mizook.com/bubble.asp?u=Chris+Sl

and drag the link that appears into your bookmarks. Then go to the altitude chart as you usually would & click your new bookmark. It should pop your bubble to the front.

hozn
01-29-2016, 12:38 PM
Man, this chris_s guy is making a liar out of me. Just kidding; I am super grateful for the help. (I will work to get that incorporated, though might wait for the highcharts version of the graph.)

hozn
01-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Hi folks. I've made lots of changes today to the freezingsaddles backend to optimize how we're fetching and refetching/refreshing data and how we're handling photos. I also was granted a 4x increase in API rate limit from the folks at Strava, so that helps too. Please let me know if you see things that are broken; my work has been on the sync scripts and I have not done a whole lot to validate that I didn't accidentally break something in the web interface.

One thing you may notice right away is that the homepage doesn't look quite so neat anymore. This is as a result of now supporting native Strava (not just Instagram) photos. Note: due to limitations in Strava API only primary/first non-Instagram photo will be added. Anyway, different cameras, different dimensions: not all perfect little squares like Instagram. I'm not going to worry much about the display just now, since I think we need to rethink how we do photos anyway.

... Plus, with the work @chris_s is doing on heatmaps, we might want to give some of the homepage realestate to mapping. So, yeah, heatmaps are gonna happen. I've got the backend storing all the GPS tracks and Chris is doing the lifting on the frontend side.

What does this mean for privacy? Good question. We don't store GPS tracks for rides marked "private". If you did not give the application access to read "private" data then it also will respect any privacy zones. If you /did/ give the application access to private data, then it will ignore your privacy zones. However, we are also not associating GPS tracks with individuals. The plan is to build heatmaps for teams -- and probably one or more overview heatmaps. I'm not saying someone couldn't narrow down lines on a team heatmap to an individual based on other data, but we're at least thinking about this. If you're worried about the privacy, then I would recommend changing your authorization to not allow the app to read private data. (Yes, then you'll lose points for any activities marked private; that's the price.)
We only support the primary/first photo when you use Strava directly to host the images (i.e. not Instagram). This is due to the fact that their API only returns the full photo list for Instagram photos. Not sure if it's really broken or just misdocumented, but it does not work as advertised.

chris_s
02-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Sneak Preview for those who bother to follow this thread:

http://dcbikemap.com/heat/

It's a slow proof of concept right now, and it will only be updated sporadically...but it's pretty cool.

An "all participants" heatmap is going to have to wait for performance improvements.

hozn
02-03-2016, 02:09 PM
@chris_s, this is really awesome!

elwbikes
02-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Wow, Chris S! That is spectacular!!! It will make my "around the world" and "around the country" pointless prize winners much easier to spot!!! Thank you!!!

chris_s
02-03-2016, 04:04 PM
An alternate heatmap view built on different tech that I'm playing around with: http://dcbikemap.com/heat/leaflet.html

vvill
02-04-2016, 08:20 AM
An alternate heatmap view built on different tech that I'm playing around with: http://dcbikemap.com/heat/leaflet.html

This one's even better!

Great to see my team has ridden around so much of the DC area, not to mention in Pittsburgh, MA, FL, OR, CA. Really interesting to see all the team distributions and how some of the local teams have stayed west of the river compared to others.

jrenaut
02-04-2016, 08:40 AM
I'm planning to go out the W&OD today because my team's heatmap shows me that none of us have yet.

chris_s
02-04-2016, 10:34 AM
This one's even better!

Leaflet seems faster to me and I like how I can make the basemap fade more into the background to really highlight the actual heat map.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the relative merits of the two versions?

Subby
02-04-2016, 10:51 AM
Both are great but the second one looks cooler.

chris_s
02-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Wow.

We get around.

http://mizook.com/keep/all-participants.png

Stay tuned.

Vicegrip
02-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Very cool stuff. Thank you for the time spent.

Judd
02-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Hey hozn,

What Strava segment is used to determine whether a Hains Point lap is completed on the leaderboards? Team 13 and Team 3 are battling it out for most HP laps. We think it might be the Gate to Gate segment, but we're not sure. There's lots of places that one can start and finish a lap at HP and we want to make sure that we're not losing laps by starting or finishing in the wrong place.

Thans for the help!

vvill
02-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Hey hozn,

What Strava segment is used to determine whether a Hains Point lap is completed on the leaderboards? Team 13 and Team 3 are battling it out for most HP laps. We think it might be the Gate to Gate segment, but we're not sure. There's lots of places that one can start and finish a lap at HP and we want to make sure that we're not losing laps by starting or finishing in the wrong place.

Thans for the help!

It is gate to gate.
https://www.strava.com/segments/1081507

jwetzel
02-11-2016, 09:14 AM
It is gate to gate.

hozn
02-11-2016, 11:09 AM
It is gate to gate.

Yes -- thanks vvill for running that to ground; I had forgotten which one it was, but it's obviously in the code/html.

Judd
02-11-2016, 03:12 PM
I vote to disqualify all laps from Team 3 that are only gate to gate and not full laps. The honorable Team 13 never skips out on completing the lap by riding down Buckeye.

TriGirlSara
02-11-2016, 04:34 PM
I vote to disqualify all laps from Team 3 that are only gate to gate and not full laps. The honorable Team 13 never skips out on completing the lap by riding down Buckeye.

I vote to disqualify Judd for voting to disqualify gate to gate laps from team 3.

americancyclo
02-12-2016, 09:47 AM

americancyclo
02-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Hi folks. I've made lots of changes today to...how we're handling photos.

now supporting native Strava (not just Instagram) photos. Note: due to limitations in Strava API only primary/first non-Instagram photo will be added.

We only support the primary/first photo when you use Strava directly to host the images (i.e. not Instagram). This is due to the fact that their API only returns the full photo list for Instagram photos. Not sure if it's really broken or just misdocumented, but it does not work as advertised.

Can you provide a little clarification on how photos are brought in to the freezing saddles webpage?

As I understand it:
The first photo associated with a strava ride will be show on the webpage, regardless if it is from Instagram, or not.

Instagram photos tagged with #BAFS2016 are pulled in to the webpage.

Is it limited to only the most recent 10 photos now?

ian74
02-12-2016, 10:14 AM
I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I keep noticing though that for me, I'm always off by one ride. By that I mean, my ride from a given morning doesn't seem to get added to my stats on the FS site until after I do my evening commute home. Then that ride won't show up until after I complete my next ride the following day.

Is this expected behavior?

hozn
02-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Can you provide a little clarification on how photos are brought in to the freezing saddles webpage?

As I understand it:
The first photo associated with a strava ride will be show on the webpage, regardless if it is from Instagram, or not.

Instagram photos tagged with #BAFS2016 are pulled in to the webpage.

Is it limited to only the most recent 10 photos now?

- We always fetch the first (primary) photo for any ride. If the photo is only associated with the ride later (e.g. when you edit it and add the photo), this should get picked up within the hour.
- Multiple photos for the ride only work when those photos are on a linked Instagram account. This is a limitation (bug?) in the Strava API. There may be some nuance for how this is supposed to work, but I have not seen it work for anything but instagram.
- The freezingsaddles.com website does not care about photo tagging (e.g. "#BAFS2016"). I don't know if anyone is paying attention to those tags, but one could find all tagged photos via Instagram if they wanted. That's just an Instagram feature.
- We show 11 photos on the homepage; there is a "more" link (looks like ">") and there is also a "photos" tab at the top that will show all photos from the [current] competition.

Steve O
02-13-2016, 05:54 PM
One of my rides seems to be stuck somewhere. There's a 12-mile difference between what's showing on the leaderboard and my miles in the bubble chart. It's been that way for several days. Leaderboard is correct (i.e. same miles as my strava account); bubble is less.

hozn
02-14-2016, 06:17 AM
One of my rides seems to be stuck somewhere. There's a 12-mile difference between what's showing on the leaderboard and my miles in the bubble chart. It's been that way for several days. Leaderboard is correct (i.e. same miles as my strava account); bubble is less.
When you log in (to FS website) and see the list of your rides, is one missing? I can check if there are any errors associated with your account. Errors used to include leaving time null (for manual rides), though I think it should allow that in most cases now.

Edit: also, that chart excludes manual rides for aforementioned reasons of too much dirty data (infinite speeds).

Steve O
02-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Edit: also, that chart excludes manual rides for aforementioned reasons of too much dirty data (infinite speeds).

Aha! That looks like it.
I guess that was a change from last year. We used to have a small group of riders with zero elevation

What do you have against infinitely fast riders?

hozn
02-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Yeah, it is a recent change. I guess that was mentioned on a separate thread. There were numerous rides a day where folks were forgetting to enter any elapsed times. So rather than just drop those rides (or contact each person), I just disabled manual rides in some of the charts.

Steve O
02-14-2016, 12:15 PM
Also, who is Max P?

dkel
02-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Apparently freezingsaddles.com has lost interest in my photos. Admittedly, I don't post many pics to Instagram or link many to Strava activities, but when I noticed today's pic didn't sync to freezingsaddles.com, I investigated and found the site hadn't synced photos for me since the end of January! Where's the love, freezingsaddles.com??

hozn
02-15-2016, 05:29 PM
Apparently freezingsaddles.com has lost interest in my photos. Admittedly, I don't post many pics to Instagram or link many to Strava activities, but when I noticed today's pic didn't sync to freezingsaddles.com, I investigated and found the site hadn't synced photos for me since the end of January! Where's the love, freezingsaddles.com??
Are you certain? It is true they don't look "sync'd" on the "my rides" unless you use instagram. This is a bit confusing but the "photos-fetched" attribute only applies nos to instagram (where there are multiple). Your primary photo should still show up on the photos page (and briefly on the homepage).

dkel
02-15-2016, 07:15 PM
Are you certain? It is true they don't look "sync'd" on the "my rides" unless you use instagram. This is a bit confusing but the "photos-fetched" attribute only applies nos to instagram (where there are multiple). Your primary photo should still show up on the photos page (and briefly on the homepage).

So, the pic is in Instagram and on Strava, but not on freezing saddles.com. I'm telling you, the site has totally unfriended me!

hozn
02-15-2016, 08:10 PM
So, the pic is in Instagram and on Strava, but not on freezing saddles.com. I'm telling you, the site has totally unfriended me!
It is likely a bug; I will look into it. (Maybe the instagram photos aren't syncing at all; I haven't been using Instagram so my "testing" has been incomplete.)

Judd
02-15-2016, 08:33 PM
I usually see about a four to eight hour delay from when I upload a picture on Strava and when it appears in the photos on Freezing Saddles. It appears that there's a little bit of a lag for the people I follow too. Not complaining, just observing.

hozn
02-15-2016, 08:47 PM
It is likely a bug; I will look into it. (Maybe the instagram photos aren't syncing at all; I haven't been using Instagram so my "testing" has been incomplete.)

This was a bug in how I was syncing primary instagram photos specifically. They were getting pulled into database, but not associated with the ride. This is fixed now and I'm re-processing (there were ~160 missed photos). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

dkel
02-15-2016, 08:48 PM
I usually see about a four to eight hour delay from when I upload a picture on Strava and when it appears in the photos on Freezing Saddles. It appears that there's a little bit of a lag for the people I follow too. Not complaining, just observing.

In my case we're closing on 12 hours. Like you, though, not complaining. Frankly, managing this has to feel a lot like the old day in, day out job for @hozn; one wonders why he volunteers for this gig in the first place.

@hozn, you're the best. :D

hozn
02-15-2016, 08:50 PM

Yeah, so we sync the activity details (which include photos and segments) a couple times an hour; if we sync the activity before the photo has been associated then it won't show up until we do a "rewrite" of the data, which only happens every couple of hours, since it is more API-intensive to re-ask for data we have already retrieved.

dkel
02-15-2016, 08:50 PM
This was a bug in how I was syncing primary instagram photos specifically. They were getting pulled into database, but not associated with the ride. This is fixed now and I'm re-processing (there were ~160 missed photos). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Wow. This crossed my last post mid-stream. I'll reiterate, though: @hozn, you're the best! (Except possibly for those 160 missed photos...but who's counting? ;))

hozn
02-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Wow. This crossed my last post mid-stream. I'll reiterate, though: @hozn, you're the best! (Except possibly for those 160 missed photos...but who's counting? ;))

I think things are all fixed this AM. I didn't check in on my computer, but it was chugging along when I went to bed. Since there are over 10k rides now, reprocessing all of them takes a bit of time. I probably could have used a slightly smaller hammer for that job, since it would only have been rides affected since I updated my sync logic. But computer time is cheaper than my time.

(I did see your photo there, so that's at least good. At some point I'll make the interface less confusing regarding photo sync in the "My Rides" section.)

dkel
02-16-2016, 08:25 AM
(I did see your photo there, so that's at least good. At some point I'll make the interface less confusing regarding photo sync in the "My Rides" section.)

My photo is there, despite the Ride Data page grumpily declaring none of my photos have been fetched for weeks. But I would only look at the Ride Data page if I didn't see my pic, so the problem is fixed, as far as I'm concerned.

whunke
02-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Not a complaint by any means, but just a note that all data might not be syncing correctly - specifically HP laps since I did 8 last night and they didn't show on the leader board :-)

hozn
02-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Not a complaint by any means, but just a note that all data might not be syncing correctly - specifically HP laps since I did 8 last night and they didn't show on the leader board :-)
I have been seeing errors on the detail-sync (which is also responsible for segments); I haven't had time to look into this, but will get it fixed. Somewhat-expected errors in photo sync are prematurely bailing out the script, it seems.

whunke
02-17-2016, 11:41 AM
I have been seeing errors on the detail-sync (which is also responsible for segments); I haven't had time to look into this, but will get it fixed. Somewhat-expected errors in photo sync are prematurely bailing out the script, it seems.

No rush for sure! Thanks for all the hard work in setting this up and keeping it together - it's made for an awesome winter cycling experience so far!

hozn
02-17-2016, 12:20 PM
No rush for sure! Thanks for all the hard work in setting this up and keeping it together - it's made for an awesome winter cycling experience so far!

My pleasure! -- All should be right in the world again now.

bentbike33
02-22-2016, 12:07 PM
This questions is not strictly related to Freezing Saddles, but it seems to me this is the most likely thread to ask. It concerns inaccuracies in the GPS recording of my rides. My employer recently switched my smartphone from a BlackBerry to an iPhone 6. I used a freebie 3rd-party app on the BlackBerry to record rides, and the errors were generally associated with places where the GPS signal would be weakest (next to sound walls, in the Valley of the Shadow of the Two Sisters, etc.), but otherwise looked random, and over the same daily commute route, there was little variance in distance recorded. With the iPhone, I'm using the Strava app, and it seems to want to "correct" my route to keep me on streets, or put me on streets, when I am riding on the W&OD, Custis or MVT. This lengthens my commute rides by about 3%. There seem to be fewer such "corrections" when I record with the Strava app and the iPhone in Airplane Mode. Any other helpful hints (and, no, I don't care to buy a "real GPS" for my bike)?

Thanks.

vvill
02-22-2016, 01:32 PM
This questions is not strictly related to Freezing Saddles, but it seems to me this is the most likely thread to ask. It concerns inaccuracies in the GPS recording of my rides. My employer recently switched my smartphone from a BlackBerry to an iPhone 6. I used a freebie 3rd-party app on the BlackBerry to record rides, and the errors were generally associated with places where the GPS signal would be weakest (next to sound walls, in the Valley of the Shadow of the Two Sisters, etc.), but otherwise looked random, and over the same daily commute route, there was little variance in distance recorded. With the iPhone, I'm using the Strava app, and it seems to want to "correct" my route to keep me on streets, or put me on streets, when I am riding on the W&OD, Custis or MVT. This lengthens my commute rides by about 3%. There seem to be fewer such "corrections" when I record with the Strava app and the iPhone in Airplane Mode. Any other helpful hints (and, no, I don't care to buy a "real GPS" for my bike)?

I don't use the iPhone Strava app much, but I'm guessing there's not much you can do about it. Even with a "real GPS" you are subject to the whims of the device and the limitations of GPS. One of my bike GPS units drifts easily with any cloud/forest cover. If Airplane Mode does work better then maybe stick with that, annoying as it is.

If you are really concerned about logging too many miles for Freezing Saddles, you can go into Strava and trim your ride accordingly. (At least on a computer - not sure about in the app.) The route will still be wrong but the mileage will be better. There are also third-party websites that will let you alter a GPS track (exported from your Strava ride) which you could then re-upload to Strava. I have done that once before as my GPS drift was bad enough to remove certain segments I wanted to see from my ride.

TwoWheelsDC
02-22-2016, 01:45 PM
This lengthens my commute rides by about 3%. There seem to be fewer such "corrections" when I record with the Strava app and the iPhone in Airplane Mode. Any other helpful hints (and, no, I don't care to buy a "real GPS" for my bike)?

Thanks.

Lengthens your rides compared to the Blackberry, or according to an accurate measurement? The former can probably be explained by variances in GPS tech in each phone (not sure if BB uses aGPS, but Apple does) and differences in how the app looks at your track. If you view the same track from the same device in Strava and GarminConnect, for example, you might see varied distances simply because of how the apps interpret GPS data. Strava probably interprets GPS data with a bent toward matching the track up to thoroughfares or known segments, hence the differences you're seeing.

If your routes are lengthy compared to some other accurate measurement, I simply attribute that to inherent inaccuracies in GPS. GPS has an accuracy rate of +/- ~3 meters (IIRC), so spread that out over a long ride (at a typical sampling rate of 1 second) and you can see quite a bit of variance, even with the same device under similar conditions. Given that everyone experiences these types of inaccuracies, I think it's probably a wash as far as BAFS scoring goes.

wheels&wings
02-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Given that everyone experiences these types of inaccuracies, I think it's probably a wash as far as BAFS scoring goes.

Dear bentbike33,
Given that you are an important member of the mighty Team 12 Cyclo-Paths, I believe it would be wise to follow Two-WheelsDC’s sage advice and refrain from trimming any of your rides.
Fondly,
w&w (your teammate)

Steve O
02-22-2016, 02:39 PM
This questions is not strictly related to Freezing Saddles, but it seems to me this is the most likely thread to ask. It concerns inaccuracies in the GPS recording of my rides.
Okay, so I know this has come up before, but the variance in elevation is just enormous. All of these are from yesterday's Monster Cross, which presumably was the same course for everyone:

There's a 1000 foot difference between Dave K and Joe B. And Amalitza's is off by even more. +/- 10% seems acceptable, but wow.
(Note Amalitza's was one lap, but 1,056 x 2=2,112)

A - No wonder your bubble is so low on the bubble chart; if you used Dave K's device, your one lap would be 1,939ft

Vicegrip
02-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Dave and Amalitza might not have ridden the same 1/2 route

Strava knows where the bike trails are. If you have not gone to Strava via a laptop and sorted your profile and desired settings you might want to. there might be a setting that lines toy up with trails over roads when close.

I have compared the eye-phone to a couple of Garmin Edges and found the phone to be slightly less accurate in plotting and a fair bit worse on elevation in steady weather. During a weather change the phone is better as my Edge 1000 has barometric compensation and it gets faked out by pressure changes. Both were WAY better than my old Crackberry.

Took a look at some of the monster cross rides. There seems to be some agreement when close to the same device is used over the same course. Some people skipped a loop here or there and the miles show this. Some rides that were recorded using a Garmin Edge 800 or 810 are about the same. Joe B used a Garmin forerunner which might not have barometric compensation.

Amalitza
02-22-2016, 03:06 PM
We did ride the same route. The 25 mile ride was one lap. The 50 mile ride was two laps of the same route. SteveO is correct that doubling my data *should* result in the same amount of climbing as everyone else.

As it happens, I am not unaware of the tendency of my rides to somehow involve less climbing than the other people I'm riding with... I've even had a theory about that ... https://www.strava.com/activities/252314836 :)

However, it does seem to fairly consistent with itself-- the routes that I ride regularly do not have wildly varying reported elevation changes, so it's useful enough in comparing this ride vs. that ride in terms of difficulty, or this year vs. last year have I done more climbing.

Vicegrip
02-22-2016, 05:12 PM
as others have pointed out I think it might be a phone rather than Garmin device thing. Elevation is harder to ascertain via GPS than lat/lon. When you stop and think about how a GPS system works and how much goes into it the mind boggles how accurate it is.

LeprosyStudyGroup
02-23-2016, 07:36 AM
Strava FAQ about elevation is interesting

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919447-Elevation-for-Your-Activity

If you track gps from a phone, any "climb" under 10m is ignored and the ending data is "smoothed" to reduce noise on top of that - which I already knew thanks to a few years of mildly hilly commute trips that always showed up as 0 elevation gain.

bentbike33
02-23-2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all the input on my Strava/iPhone issue. I guess I'll just live with what I get including the odd 40-mph uphill sprints through solid objects and other weirdness (maybe make them segments and finally get a KOM).

Amalitza
02-23-2016, 10:04 AM
nah, I still think strava deducts feet if you don't get to the top fast enough.

:cool:

vvill
02-23-2016, 01:22 PM
GPS units with barometric altimeters are generally the most accurate for elevation but they are skewed by weather changes and can be completely useless if it's raining (especially heavily) as the sensor can't seem to detect air pressure properly. GPS units like the Garmin aren't terribly consistent across units however. My Garmins all give quite different temperatures, elevation, etc. on the same ride, even with the same model (Edge 500).

Rides tracked with phones (or GPS units like the Garmin Edge 200 which don't have an altimeter) will usually have lower elevation because they're based on long-lat lookups to known terrain profiles. Fine for a long steady climb, but you can miss a lot of the elevation on rollers, trails, etc. since the terrain data is not that detailed. The main exception is if you cross a river on a bridge you basically get credit for going into the water and climbing back up the bank - you can see this on the Key Bridge over the Potomac, for example. If you wanted some easy climbing you could probably do bridge repeats on a device without a barometric sensor.

And as mentioned, Strava (and actually pretty much anything that derives elevation gain from ride data) will also smooth the data to some extent, and usually if there's more smoothing you'll end up with less elevation gain.

Most Garmin units have an optional "accuracy" field you can add to see how accurate the GPS reading is at the time - you might be surprised!

Vicegrip
02-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Sample rate can skew things too. Phones tend to make less plot points couple this with Strava rounding and you can get some odd errors.

Spot on about baro and storms. I did a nice long bills repeat ride and the garmin recorded it as a single arched curve plotting the pressure drop of the storm. I corrected it in Strava and the climbs reappeared

vvill
02-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Sample rate can skew things too. Phones tend to make less plot points couple this with Strava rounding and you can get some odd errors.

Spot on about baro and storms. I did a nice long bills repeat ride and the garmin recorded it as a single arched curve plotting the pressure drop of the storm. I corrected it in Strava and the climbs reappeared

Good point. A Garmin with 1 sec sampling vs a phone (or a Garmin with "Smart" recording on) will interpolate data more. I suspect it's actually easier to get faster segment times on a phone because of this, but don't quote me on that.

The correction on Strava will just go to lat/long lookup, I think.

ChuckS
02-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Hello -

This ride doesn't appear in my Team's Activity Feed (Team 10 - Team X) ? :confused:

https://www.strava.com/activities/498236866
Chuck Seiders 2:16 PM on Sunday, January 17, 2016 [actually ridden Saturday, February 20, 2016]
#BAFS2016 Afternoon Ride - 43 of 51 days
Bike Manassas group of 10 riders today temps almost spring like, and a mild head wind which ever way we turned(or so it seemed). "Elapsed Time 819:09:22" ...wth is up with that?? :-\

Perhaps a device mishap??
How /where can one verify it has been included or excluded from the database that feeds the team data report http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_text?

rcannon100
02-24-2016, 08:43 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggg gggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hozn
02-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Yeah, no idea ... Nothing changed, cron (scheduled) scripts running fine. The shared host seems to have broken. If they don't get it up in short order, I'll setup a new server. Don't worry no data will be lost, but you might be riding blind for a bit (hopefully they can restart the service and it'll be back up shortly; worst case I should still be able to build a new system within a day or so) !!!

cvcalhoun
02-25-2016, 01:05 AM
Yeah, no idea ... Nothing changed, cron (scheduled) scripts running fine. The shared host seems to have broken. If they don't get it up in short order, I'll setup a new server. Don't worry no data will be lost, but you might be riding blind for a bit (hopefully they can restart the service and it'll be back up shortly; worst case I should still be able to build a new system within a day or so) !!!

Well, dang, my photo of this evening's bicycling conditions will probably never make it to the front page!

dbb
02-25-2016, 07:01 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggg gggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like the Cannon filter is working fine!

ChuckS
02-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Hello - Admin?

This ride doesn't appear in my Team's Activity Feed (Team 10 - Team X) ? :confused:

How /where can one verify it has been included or excluded from the database that feeds the team data report http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_text?

Hello - Admin?

rcannon100
02-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Hello - Admin?

There is no "Admin." There are volunteers.

vvill
02-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Hello - Admin?

Go to FreezingSaddles.com and click on your name (assuming you have authorized with Strava), and click on "My Rides". I would suggest trimming your activity first (go to Strava.com from a desktop/laptop) though since it spans so many days. No one else can be responsible for what data you have on Strava - perhaps it was an issue with your Cateye?

americancyclo
02-25-2016, 09:05 AM
There is no "Admin." There are volunteers.

Hello -

Chuck Seiders – 2:16 PM on Sunday, January 17, 2016 [actually ridden Saturday, February 20, 2016]
Bike Manassas group of 10 riders today temps almost spring like, and a mild head wind which ever way we turned(or so it seemed). "Elapsed Time 819:09:22" ...wth is up with that?? :-\

Perhaps a device mishap??

This looks like it may have been an accidental button press or a problem with your Cateye Stealth 10. Looking at the 'analysis' section of your strava ride and clicking on the clock icon, it appears your device began recording on Jan 17 and finished with your ride on Feb 20. There are 816 hours in between those days. Add in your 3+ hours of riding and you get 819 hours. Looks like most of your short rides are strava iphone app, but you had your Cateye on for a ride on the 16th, so I bet that's where the issue is.

Go in to that activity and crop the 816 hours off the front of your ride, and it should even out.

ChuckS
02-26-2016, 09:45 AM
This looks like it may have been an accidental button press or a problem with your Cateye Stealth 10. Looking at the 'analysis' section of your strava ride and clicking on the clock icon, it appears your device began recording on Jan 17 and finished with your ride on Feb 20. There are 816 hours in between those days. Add in your 3+ hours of riding and you get 819 hours. Looks like most of your short rides are strava iphone app, but you had your Cateye on for a ride on the 16th, so I bet that's where the issue is.

Go in to that activity and crop the 816 hours off the front of your ride, and it should even out.

Thank you for the Strava tutorial, that fixed the ride's date & time display issue ...much obliged!

1:09 PM on Saturday, February 20, 2016
Distance 51.6mi
Moving Time 3:22:55
Speed 15.3mi/h 31.3mi/h
Calories 1,752

However as my overall individual points total remained unchanged, I'm still curious to know if there's a way for individual BASF 2016 riders to audit(read only) the data base feeds for their personal Strava data imports on the http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_text reporting server side (not the referral link out to Strava) for example, this morning I'm ranked: (113. Chuck S 1,006 points (48 days, 526 miles) Team 10 - Team X).
The Strava YTD (2016) shows: Distance 526.4 mi - Time 42h 20m - Elev Gain 6,375 ft - Rides 49

Simply asking out of curiosity, not a paranoid accusation or concern :) ...Thx again!

americancyclo
02-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Thank you for the Strava tutorial, that fixed the ride's date & time display issue ...much obliged!

1:09 PM on Saturday, February 20, 2016
Distance 51.6mi
Moving Time 3:22:55
Speed 15.3mi/h 31.3mi/h
Calories 1,752

However as my overall individual points total remained unchanged, I'm still curious to know if there's a way for individual BASF 2016 riders to audit(read only) the data base feeds for their personal Strava data imports on the http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/individual_text reporting server side (not the referral link out to Strava) for example, this morning I'm ranked: (113. Chuck S 1,006 points (48 days, 526 miles) Team 10 - Team X).
The Strava YTD (2016) shows: Distance 526.4 mi - Time 42h 20m - Elev Gain 6,375 ft - Rides 49

Simply asking out of curiosity, not a paranoid accusation or concern :) ...Thx again!
Glad it helped!

For the data that FS pulls, you can see the rides on your personal page. Need to authorize the app to pull strava dat in the upper right:
on your second question, i'm not sure i understand what the discrepancy is?
mileage seems to match on strava and FS website.

ChuckS
02-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Glad it helped!

For the data that FS pulls, you can see the rides on your personal page. Need to authorize the app to pull strava dat in the upper right:
on your second question, i'm not sure i understand what the discrepancy is?
mileage seems to match on strava and FS website.

Brilliant! ...that's what I was looking for!
[http://freezingsaddles.com/my/rides]

I don't see how "to authorize the app to pull strava data" as the drop down simply offers "My Rides" or "Logout" (perhaps this is 'normal' if the app is already authorize to pull strava data?)

As for the second question, While true the mileage matched, I was thrown off by the FS "48 days" vs. Strava "Rides 49"
...I'd forgot that in fact I'd ridden twice on 1/1/16 :o
Freezing Saddles Hains Point Morning Ride | #BAFS2016 - 1b Day 1 01/01/2016 10:34:27 AM 3 hours 45.025
1st Six of 2016 Freezing Saddles Miles 01/01/2016 12:00:02 AM 30 minutes 42.8

Thank you very much for your time and assistance, satisfying such a trivial curiosity :)

hozn
02-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks, @americancyclo !

Steve O
03-13-2016, 12:37 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but these might be off slightly:

Just checked, and I see this has happened before. How come my Strava doesn't do that? I'd love to brag about my 100,000 foot ride!

DrP
03-18-2016, 01:48 PM
So, I am looking at the elevation, speed, distance plot. I understand that manual entries have no elevation, but we should have distance and, sort of, speed. I've gone over 1,000 miles (as has a teammate who also uses manual entry), but I do not see anything at zero elevation at anything other than zero (or so it might be, hard to tell when all bunched up). Are manual entries not being counted at all or is the zero elevation not actually showing on the plot?

DismalScientist
03-18-2016, 01:54 PM
It's because you people who submit manual entries are inherently untrustworthy.:rolleyes:

hozn
03-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Yeah,manual entries are excluded because a high [enough] percentage of manual entries were misenteted with have elapsed-time of "0" which made them quite fast.

If I have my way (and I will lobby hard for this) we just won't allow manual entries in the future.