PDA

View Full Version : Rider Down on Scott Street and Custis Intersection

Dirt
07-19-2011, 06:04 AM
It appears that the cyclist was crossing Scott Street at the new bicycle signal when he was struck by a car heading northbound on Scott. I arrived just after the emergency response crews did. There was no way I could tell which of the people involved ran the red light.

The rider seemed lucid and was talking to emergency crews. I directed traffic for a few, then was replaced by a police officer. I finished out my commute.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6121/5953583883_de36ae4697_b.jpg

Hope the guy recovers well.

Pete

JimF22003
07-19-2011, 07:02 AM
I must have come by just after that. When I came by the ambulance was still there, but the guy was sitting by himself on the curb holding his head. Looked OK.

Dirt
07-19-2011, 07:09 AM
I must have come by just after that. When I came by the ambulance was still there, but the guy was sitting by himself on the curb holding his head. Looked OK.

Must have been a different guy. The cyclist was strapped to a back board to immobilize him and loaded in the ambulance.

OneEighth
07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
I would love to know what happened in this particular case.
Not jumping to conclusions here---just saying that I frequently get passed by other riders who are flying by on that stretch of downhill.

brendan
07-20-2011, 09:32 AM
I would love to know what happened in this particular case.
Not jumping to conclusions here---just saying that I frequently get passed by other riders who are flying by on that stretch of downhill.

I used to fly by. Now even on bike-light-green I brake a lot more. I guess that means the lights are effective (on this sample point anyway).

I'm now more worried about being rear-ended by a bike there. :/

Brendan

Dirt
07-20-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm now more worried about being rear-ended by a bike there. :/
I've heard a few people panic stopping behind me at the light at Scott Street.