PDA

View Full Version : Registration for Freezing Saddles 2016 is now open!

cvcalhoun
12-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Go to this link to register for Freezing Saddles 2016 (http://freezingsaddles.x10host.com/).

Registering is only the first step in entering. Please read this post for further steps, rules, etc (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9384-Freezing-Saddles-2016-Important-Information).

If you have trouble with the form, please read the remainder of this post. If that doesn't work, you can send me a private message.

Executive decisions have been made, after as much input as I could get given the short time involved:

Slackers will not be able to sign up using the registration form. If you really want to be a slacker, you'll have to wait until January, and then check the forum for how to sign up for the slackers' Strava club. (There was no consensus on this one, but it seemed to be the best compromise among three positions that got pretty much equal numbers of votes.)

People who have participated in past years, but have moved out of the area, will be permitted to participate.

People will be permitted to request that they be put on a team with people in their geographic area.

Some things you might do will cause the form not to submit:

If you fail to answer any of the questions marked with an *.

If the Zip Code you enter is not in Maryland, Virginia, or DC.

If you don't check the box for "Are you really gonna play?", the one for "Legal stuff," or the one for "I'm not a robot."

If you select "I'm not really intending to participate in anything, so I'm not registering for Freezing Saddles" under "Will you participate in the reindeer games?"

If you try to submit the form after the deadline (which is clearly stated on the page, along with a countdown timer). After the deadline, the form will change to one that indicates that you can still register, but may or may not be assigned to a team.

Some things you might do will not interfere with the form submission, but will get you laughed at by the people who have access to view the submissions:

If you inaccurately state your FS2015 miles.

If you submit more than once. If you need to make a change, just send me a private message, and I can fix it. We really don't need two or three of you signed up.

If you need access to the form results, please send me a private message with your e-mail address and why you need access. I already sent a private message to Sunyata. However, Sunyata, if you're out there and haven't yet seen your private messages, please come to the white courtesy phone!

Amalitza
12-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Ack!!! Carol!!! I forgot to request something on the registration form!!! I am SO SORRY!!! It's not another question or data collection, just some informational/instructional language so hopefully you can still add it and not hate me too much?!?!?!?

Can you please put some language in there to let people know there are additional steps they have to take (ie, authorize app, join strava teams) and they are not done just because they finished the registration? Link to sticky?

Also, could you maybe possibly change the post you made on women and bicycles to send people to the sticky instead of directly to registration?

Could other people who invite new players also not just send them straight to registration w/o letting them know what else they need to do to play?

Last year, there was only one person who registered and then didn't play (not counting FFG who unfortunately was completely unable to ride due to serious injury). But there were a lot of new players who had to be tracked down by their teams and told to authorize the app and/or join their strava teams. They did not know they had to do that. Sticky post is intended to help provide that info*, but it does no good if people are sent straight to registration form bypassing sticky and never know it's there.

*also, to enable this behavior

I hate the getting started discussion. I close my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears until someone puts out the sign up sheet.

Sunyata
12-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Woohoo! Thanks for getting the form up! :D

So excited. So VERY excited.

Steve O
12-03-2015, 09:37 AM
If you try to submit the form after the deadline (which is clearly stated on the page, along with a countdown timer). After the deadline, the form will disappear.

We may want to rethink this. Latecomers get no guarantee of anything, but if we choose to adopt the concept of tightening the standings by adding "bench" players to the last place team (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9610-When-will-planning-for-Freezing-Saddles-start&p=128886&highlight=discussion#post128886), these people may be the ones we need. So far there has been mostly positive response to this.

So I suggest leaving the timer and the warnings, etc., but don't actually have the form disappear. We'll funnel those names aside and decide what to do with them afterward.

jrenaut
12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
We'll funnel those names aside and decide what to do with them afterward.
Each one will be assigned a veteran to buy beers for during the competition and at the final happy hour.

Sunyata
12-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Each one will be assigned a veteran to buy beers for during the competition and at the final happy hour.

As the "Assigner of the Teams" I approve this statement! :cool:

consularrider
12-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post

As the "Assigner of the Teams" I approve this statement! :cool:

Does that mean if I am "grandfathered in" someone will have to come to Kyiv, or do I have to make a special trip?

Amalitza
12-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Last year, it closed at the end of registration, then reopened separately a couple days later for late sign-ups. Either way is probably fine.

btw, I'm willing to handle late people and substitutions again if that's needed. I like SteveOs idea of adding people to the last place team at some sort of predetermined interval, at least after we've used any late people to fill out any teams short of players. I'd suggest adding them in the order of their lateness-- first registered, first assigned to a team. This would encourage anyone who misses the deadline to at least get their tardy self registered as soon as possible. We don't have to tell anyone what order the sign-ups are in, if we want to keep the element of surprise prior to adding members.

Sunyata-- I didn't particularly want to be in charge of team assignment, but I'm happy to help out if there's anything you need done.

Sunyata
12-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Sunyata-- I didn't particularly want to be in charge of team assignment, but I'm happy to help out if there's anything you need done.

Awesome. And thank you! Hopefully it will just come down to a little database shuffling and it will be a (simple?) one woman job.

cvcalhoun
12-03-2015, 10:45 AM
[/LIST]

We may want to rethink this. Latecomers get no guarantee of anything, but if we choose to adopt the concept of tightening the standings by adding "bench" players to the last place team (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9610-When-will-planning-for-Freezing-Saddles-start&p=128886&highlight=discussion#post128886), these people may be the ones we need. So far there has been mostly positive response to this.

So I suggest leaving the timer and the warnings, etc., but don't actually have the form disappear. We'll funnel those names aside and decide what to do with them afterward.
I think Amelitza's idea is a good one. The form will disappear at midnight, but will be replaced by a new one for late registrations, without the timer. The new form will include commentary to let late registrants know what will happen to them.

GovernorSilver
12-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I might be forced to be a slacker. I won't be allowed to ride a bike for a couple more weeks at least - long story.

americancyclo
12-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Is there a FS 2016 Strava Group we need to join? if so, I didn't see the link. please post!

jrenaut
12-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Is there a FS 2016 Strava Group we need to join? if so, I didn't see the link. please post!

It was already posted elsewhere but HERE IS THE 2016 STRAVA GROUP (https://www.strava.com/clubs/170309) for those that missed it.

cvcalhoun
12-03-2015, 12:34 PM
I might be forced to be a slacker. I won't be allowed to ride a bike for a couple more weeks at least - long story.

No need to be just a slacker. Freezing Saddles won't even start until January 1. If you are allowed to ride in "a couple more weeks," you could still join. If it ends up taking longer than that, we have provisions for dealing with injuries.

cvcalhoun
12-03-2015, 12:48 PM
I wasn't able to completely change the link on Women and Bicycles to the sticky, but I did add a link to the sticky on it.

I've also added links to the sticky both at the top of the registration form, and on the confirmation page people get after submitting.

Ack!!! Carol!!! I forgot to request something on the registration form!!! I am SO SORRY!!! It's not another question or data collection, just some informational/instructional language so hopefully you can still add it and not hate me too much?!?!?!?

Can you please put some language in there to let people know there are additional steps they have to take (ie, authorize app, join strava teams) and they are not done just because they finished the registration? Link to sticky?

Also, could you maybe possibly change the post you made on women and bicycles to send people to the sticky instead of directly to registration?

Could other people who invite new players also not just send them straight to registration w/o letting them know what else they need to do to play?

Last year, there was only one person who registered and then didn't play (not counting FFG who unfortunately was completely unable to ride due to serious injury). But there were a lot of new players who had to be tracked down by their teams and told to authorize the app and/or join their strava teams. They did not know they had to do that. Sticky post is intended to help provide that info*, but it does no good if people are sent straight to registration form bypassing sticky and never know it's there.

*also, to enable this behavior

GovernorSilver
12-03-2015, 12:51 PM
No need to be just a slacker. Freezing Saddles won't even start until January 1. If you are allowed to ride in "a couple more weeks," you could still join. If it ends up taking longer than that, we have provisions for dealing with injuries.

Thanks. I'll check w/ the doc by then if he can lift the "no heavy exercise" ban that he has me under at the moment. There are other reasons I can't ride now but that's one of them.

Steve O
12-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I'll check w/ the doc by then if he can lift the "no heavy exercise" ban that he has me under at the moment. There are other reasons I can't ride now but that's one of them.

No no no. You must play the game. Even if you don't start riding until February, you will have great fun. And since you are an everyday rider, you could easily end up with 45 or more days riding plus your miles. You will be a good team member unquestionably.

Also, I don't believe you played last year, so you are ineligible to be on the Bunch o' Slackers anyway.

vern
12-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Where do I find my Strava number?

vvill
12-03-2015, 01:36 PM

Click on your profile in Strava, and look at the numbers in the address bar. Assuming you're on a browser.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/123456

DismalScientist
12-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Use a browser to go to Strava's user profile. The numbers at the end of your URL is your Strava number.

cvcalhoun
12-03-2015, 01:39 PM
The registration form actually gives instructions. [emoji6]

vern
12-03-2015, 01:47 PM
The registration form actually gives instructions. [emoji6]

Your so schmart! I didn't want to start until I had all the info. Thanks all for the helpful responses.

Amalitza
12-03-2015, 02:03 PM
We need an avatar for our
2016 STRAVA GROUP (https://www.strava.com/clubs/170309)

Anyone want to try to improve on this?

Woohoo! Thanks for getting the form up! :D

So excited. So VERY excited.

cvcalhoun
12-03-2015, 02:12 PM
I found a bunch while looking for icons for the registration page. Do any of these work?

GovernorSilver
12-03-2015, 02:15 PM
No no no. You must play the game. Even if you don't start riding until February, you will have great fun. And since you are an everyday rider, you could easily end up with 45 or more days riding plus your miles. You will be a good team member unquestionably.

Also, I don't believe you played last year, so you are ineligible to be on the Bunch o' Slackers anyway.

I didn't even know how to ride a bike last year.

I didn't say that I won't play! I just have to be cleared by the doc. If I don't follow his orders, then my non-participation is guaranteed. My next appt. w/ him is Jan. 5 - hopefully that will go well.

cvcalhoun
12-03-2015, 03:35 PM
To get the attachment to show up in the quoted text, you'll need to download it, delete the words "Attachment 10174," then upload the image you just downloaded into the place those words were. I'm afraid this forum is a pain that way!

Last edited by Amalitza; Today at 02:06 PM. Reason: Hey! how do you get the picture to show up in the quoted post??

Steve O
12-03-2015, 03:58 PM
I didn't even know how to ride a bike last year.

I didn't say that I won't play! I just have to be cleared by the doc. If I don't follow his orders, then my non-participation is guaranteed. My next appt. w/ him is Jan. 5 - hopefully that will go well.

Sign up. As with FGG last year, if it turns out you can't play, then we'll sub someone in for you. Better to be signed up and ready to go than to miss out by trying to hedge the future.

Steve O
12-03-2015, 04:03 PM
We need an avatar

jrenaut
12-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Remember to respect the copyright of the original artist when using any of these images. There's some good stuff on Flickr with nice Creative Commons licenses (https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=bike%20ice&license=1%2C2%2C9%2C10) that one could use.

hozn
12-03-2015, 06:57 PM
You could use the FS logo that Carolyn made us?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/03/8ce60289addffc2ac3f232c0ff2e6c70.jpg

I have full-res versions and variants; you can email me at hans-at-velum-dot-net

cvcalhoun
12-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Oh, and how could I forget this? (My wife made the snow Cthulu.) And for the record, we'd be willing to grant you a full license to use it.

Vicegrip
12-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Click on your profile in Strava, and look at the numbers in the address bar. Assuming you're on a browser.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/123456

I think we should all say hi to Zack and tell him he should ride more.

dkel
12-03-2015, 08:31 PM
How about this for an avatar?

What do you mean Freezing Saddles isn't all about beer???

jrenaut
12-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Good thought, but I can't tell from your photo that anyone is cold. Or that they rode their bikes to get there.

This one would be nice if he wasn't drinking some terrible beer in a clear bottle.

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6031/6221507611_fcc3b15b81_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/atLRsB)Ice Cold Beer - Deserved. Angelo. (https://flic.kr/p/atLRsB) by Yann Ropars (https://www.flickr.com/photos/frenchista/), on Flickr

dkel
12-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Good thought, but I can't tell from your photo that anyone is cold. Or that they rode their bikes to get there.

Oh, I rode my bike to get that pic, buddy! And many others besides! Last year's competition was all about the beer—for me, anyway. Also, whoever that is at the end of the bar is clearly wearing a sweater, so...something. :p

jrenaut
12-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Oh, I rode my bike to get that pic, buddy! And many others besides! Last year's competition was all about the beer—for me, anyway. Also, whoever that is at the end of the bar is clearly wearing a sweater, so...something. :p

I'm not doubting that you rode your bike in the cold to get beer. But it's a bit of a stretch to infer all that from the provided picture. And yes, I know you weren't seriously suggesting that.

Anyway, beer is cool. We should ride our bikes in the cold to places that are warm and have beer and/or coffee because coffee is cool too. Not literally. Except for iced coffee which really kind of sucks.

cvcalhoun
12-04-2015, 12:04 AM
Beer, bike, and snow. Of course, since I don't actually like beer (yes, I know this is heresy!), I can't warrant the quality of the displayed beer.

dkel
12-04-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm not doubting that you rode your bike in the cold to get beer. But it's a bit of a stretch to infer all that from the provided picture. And yes, I know you weren't seriously suggesting that.

There's no need to infer: everyone knows Rockford and I are the reigning BAFS Beerneuring champions! :rolleyes:

Vicegrip
12-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Sometime this winter I am going to, ahem, "write" FS 2016 in the snow next to the bike and take a picture. That should cover the winter cold and the beer content in one go.

Amalitza
12-04-2015, 08:43 AM
I went with our specially designed by Carolyn logo, though the snow cthulu was a bit tempting as well. btw, if anyone would like to be an admin on the strava club, just let me know and I will make you one. I don't know if there will be much or any admin type duties to manage, but if there are I'm happy to pawn them off, err, share them!

Steve O
12-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Hey I just signed up and saw this:

First, whatever systems I may come up with, they are not weird; they are genius. Second, it's not actually true. Although I have proposed systems in the past, I have consistently been ignored in the end.

AFHokie
12-04-2015, 11:39 AM
Does the green check mark you get after checking the captcha indicate a successful registration?

cvcalhoun
12-04-2015, 01:08 PM
Does the green check mark you get after checking the captcha indicate a successful registration?
No. It indicates you've passed the CAPTCA. But you've still got to press the submit button. You'll then get a confirmation message.

cvcalhoun
12-04-2015, 01:11 PM

First, whatever systems I may come up with, they are not weird; they are genius. Second, it's not actually true. Although I have proposed systems in the past, I have consistently been ignored in the end.
Well, that part was taken directly from last year's form, so apparently you've been wrongly credited (or blamed) for at least a year. But I can take it out.

Steve O
12-04-2015, 01:55 PM
... But I can take it out.
I'm torn between veracity and notoriety.

Maybe just change "weird" to "ingenius." :)

dkel
12-04-2015, 02:09 PM

Is this the wrong time to point out that you misspelled ingenious?

ShawnoftheDread
12-04-2015, 02:43 PM

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/04/1623f0b7263fa37a15a3ff46c318dbb2.jpg

dkel
12-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Oh, I can definitely die in peace now!

Vicegrip
12-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Is this the wrong time to point out that you misspelled ingenious?Oh-my-Dog. I almost spat my afternoon coffee. :D

cvcalhoun
12-04-2015, 04:40 PM
So let's see, as to the pros and cons of leaving this the way it is:

Pros:

Avoiding extra work.
Ability to twit Steve O.
Perhaps next year, people will pay attention when I request several times that they review the form before it goes final.

Con:

Increased veracity.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of benefits to changing it!

Steve O
12-04-2015, 11:56 PM

It's called irony

consularrider
12-05-2015, 04:32 AM
So let's see, as to the pros and cons of leaving this the way it is:

Pros:

... twit Steve O.

Con:

Increased veracity.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of benefits to changing it!

As well as being weird?

Vicegrip
12-05-2015, 06:55 AM
It's called iornyfxd?

Boomer2U
12-06-2015, 03:13 PM

...and obtuse, opaque and idiosyncratic [emoji12]

Raymo853
12-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Is it ok for those of us not joining the competition to join the Strava group? Plan to to Strava-stalk the proceedings.

Amalitza
12-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Is it ok for those of us not joining the competition to join the Strava group? Plan to to Strava-stalk the proceedings.

... slackers ... limited to two or three time alumni or those who have made significant volunteer contributions...

Pretty sure you qualify. I won't kick you off. (regardless of whether someone actually makes a slacker group that you can join).

...now SteveO you might need to worry about...

cyclingfool
12-07-2015, 05:59 PM
So... first off. Hello everyone. I haven't been on the forums in ages. My apologies. I trust you enjoyed my absence. ;)

Secondly, and more importantly, I am trying to sign up for FS16. The registration form won't accept my Strava number (83324), which is only five digits long. The form keeps insisting my Strava number have 6 digits ("at least 111111"). I tried adding a leading 0 so that the number was six digits long, but it still won't take it. Suggestions???

cvcalhoun
12-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Sorry, I didn't know there were numbers that low. I've fixed it now. Can you please try again?

So... first off. Hello everyone. I haven't been on the forums in ages. My apologies. I trust you enjoyed my absence. ;)

Secondly, and more importantly, I am trying to sign up for FS16. The registration form won't accept my Strava number (83324), which is only five digits long. The form keeps insisting my Strava number have 6 digits ("at least 111111"). I tried adding a leading 0 so that the number was six digits long, but it still won't take it. Suggestions???

hozn
12-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Yes, Strava numbers presumably start at 1. It is just an incrementing sequence so far as I can tell.

Megabeth
12-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Hey ya'll,

If anyone wants to make a flyer to promote Freezing Saddles at the Hains Point 100 (https://www.facebook.com/events/1526535584333174/)...I'll be glad to put it out to recruit some new folks. It's on the 20th.

Steve O
12-08-2015, 09:38 AM
As of right now there are 119 members of the Strava Club.

It's cute that these two names happen to be right next to each other, don't you think?

(Let's just hope no one named Tessie or Thornton joins)

consularrider
12-08-2015, 09:56 AM
As of right now there are 119 members of the Strava Club.

It's cute that these two names happen to be right next to each other, don't you think?

(Let's just hope no one named Tessie or Thornton joins)

Or Tim Kelly

dkel
12-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Or Tim Kelley

FTFY.

(Kelleys of the world, unite!)

cvcalhoun
12-08-2015, 08:40 PM
As of today, we're up to 114 people registered. I believe the total for last year was 132, so we're well on our way to increasing that number. And of course, last year's numbers included slackers, which this year's do not.

Tim Kelley
12-09-2015, 09:32 AM
FTFY.

Keep fighting the good fight.

consularrider
12-09-2015, 09:35 AM
FTFY.

Darn laptop keyboard keeps dropping letters. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, either that or it was autocorrect. :p

Vicegrip
12-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Meh. If I were king cunning linguists would be hired to go through the language and strike off all extra letters in words. In fact the letter "C" would be bumped off on day one. All it does is mess things up by acting like two other existing letters. How do you think that makes "S" and "K" feel? "Hey, I could have had that job but no....."

OK this bad spelar fels beter now, kary on. ;)

UnknownCyclist
12-09-2015, 10:14 AM
Why do cunning linguists get all the fun?

Rockford10
12-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Keep fighting the good fight.

Since I'm a Kelly-Kelley, I'm just not sure where my allegiance is.

Tim Kelley
12-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Since I'm a Kelly-Kelley, I'm just not sure where my allegiance is.

How about just advocating for each person's correct spelling?

rcannon100
12-09-2015, 10:42 AM
How about just advocating for each person's correct spelling?

No. No. We cannot have that!

ginacico
12-09-2015, 11:25 AM
In fact the letter "C" would be bumped off on day one. All it does is mess things up by acting like two other existing letters.

My last name is Cicotello (sick-o-tell-o), some kind of Ellis Island mangling of the Italian name Ciccotello (chick-o-tell-o). We've been misspelling and mispronouncing our own name for about two generations now, and members of my family disagree on what's correct.

You think Kelly/Kelley is bad?

jopamora
12-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Are the miles from last year that important for team assignments? I am not going to ride nearly as much.

cvcalhoun
12-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Yes, we do need the miles from last year. How much you personally are going to ride this year is not critical. The miles from last year are used only to set up teams with approximately equal abilities. (We don't want to accidentally put all the people who typically ride over 150 miles a week onto the same team.) We can expect that some on the team will ride far less than last year, and some will ride far more. But we can also expect that with teams of about 10 people, the ones who ride less and the ones who ride more will balance out. The only exception would be if someone was in the top 25 riders last year, and anticipated not riding much at all this year, in which case that can be noted in the answer to the "ringer" question.

No one should hesitate to sign up just because he or she anticipates riding fewer miles this year than last. Seriously, we will work this out.

Are the miles from last year that important for team assignments? I am not going to ride nearly as much.

jopamora
12-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks! I was concerned since I was in the top 25 and didn't want to mess things up for the new team. I'll put a note down in the ringer question then.

Kitty
12-10-2015, 07:37 AM
Well you guys did it. You not only got me to sign up for BAFS, but now I'm on Strava.

Time to figure out what I signed up for... and get warm gloves.

cvcalhoun
12-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Well you guys did it. You not only got me to sign up for BAFS, but now I'm on Strava.

Time to figure out what I signed up for... and get warm gloves.
Come to the Dark Side -- we have Pointless Prizes!

accordioneur
12-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Kitty,

Like you, I have just stumbled into this madness. Last year my only connections to BAFS were (a) watching from my warm, cozy kitchen as a neighbor foolishly headed out on his bike on freezing mornings, and (b) bitching about how clearing the snow from the W&OD ruined it for skiers. And now I is a BAFSer.

americancyclo
12-10-2015, 12:25 PM
I was checking out the Strava leaderboard for BAFS2016 and noticed that the leader for average speed has been logging some intense sufferfest videos. Trainer rides don't count once the new year rolls around.

Is it still up to the participants to indicate #NOBAFS in their ride title? Is that clearly stated for the new folks?

consularrider
12-10-2015, 01:00 PM
I was checking out the Strava leaderboard for BAFS2016 and noticed that the leader for average speed has been logging some intense sufferfest videos. Trainer rides don't count once the new year rolls around.

Is it still up to the participants to indicate #NOBAFS in their ride title? Is that clearly stated for the new folks?

Strava does have a box that can be checked to show the ride is on a stationary trainer and I believe those rides are excluded from the BAFS stats.

consularrider
12-10-2015, 01:02 PM

Strava does have a box that can be checked to show the ride is on a stationary trainer and I believe those rides are excluded from the BAFS stats.

cvcalhoun
12-10-2015, 01:23 PM

Yes, it will be up to contestants to indicate trainer miles. But rules will be dealt with in another thread, which will be linked from the sticky at the top of this topic. This thread deals only with registration issues. (I'm in charge of registration, not rules.)

Amalitza
12-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Is that clearly stated for the new folks?

No. We do not have anything that clearly states rules/scoring for the new folks.

I didn't get much response to this except for some discussion about "ebikes: yes or no" so maybe lack of dissension = concurrence? (and I still don't know that there's an agreed-to answer to the ebike question?) Clearly I forgot to include trainer ride inadmissibility though. Anything else?

At the risk (ok, near certainty) of turning this 11 page thread into a 22 pager, can we confirm a few details that havenít been explicitly argued over yet, so that when the registration form is ready, there is good info to provide to people who havenít participated in the past and may not be entirely sure how this thing works?

Registration info:

1) Leaderboard authorization same link as last year?
2) Are we using BikeArlington Strava Club again to pull people in to the leaderboard? I vaguely remember hozn suggesting he might prefer doing a strictly Freezing Saddles strava club instead?

General game info:

3) Team size: teams of 9-10 people again?
4) Scoring: same as previous years? 10 points per day, one point per mile, one mile minimum for your daily 10?
5) Game runs 00:00:01am January 1 through 23:59:59 pm March 19. In order to for your ride be counted by the leaderboard app, be sure it doesnít start before midnight on December 31/January 1 or extend past midnight on March 19/20. Stop your GPS (or crop your ride?) if necessary if you happen to be riding through the cutoff time.
6) A Strava account is required and is used to pull rides and miles into the leaderboard. Manual entry is acceptable; GPS or smart phone devices not required.
7) Anything else anyone can think of that might need clarification?

Iím not going to update the sticky post with registration info at least until I have the answer to the first two. I think itís more, rather than less, confusing if I put only some of things people need to do and then later go change it to add more. Iím not so particular about the other stuff, and am fine with adding it later or having it in another post but itís probably a good idea to explicitly explain how the game works somewhereÖ

cvcalhoun
12-10-2015, 03:23 PM
No. We do not have anything that clearly states rules/scoring for the new folks.

I didn't get much response to this except for some discussion about "ebikes: yes or no" so maybe lack of dissension = concurrence? (and I still don't know that there's an agreed-to answer to the ebike question?) Clearly I forgot to include trainer ride inadmissibility though. Anything else?
I'd say lack of dissension equals concurrence. Given that this is a leaderless competition, that is pretty much the only way to get rules at all.

I managed registration that way. I started with what we did last year, asked for comments and gave a deadline for providing them. I then assumed anything not objected to before the deadline was final, and went forward with that. It's not as though there is anyone empowered to give formal approval.

vvill
12-11-2015, 08:47 AM
I guess on the topic of hashtags, those that are interested in certain pointless prizes may need to know which ones to use in their ride titles. I know there's #kidical - are there any others?

Amalitza
12-11-2015, 10:13 AM
ok, I updated with gameplay/rules and a disclaimer that (at the risk of sounding like rcannon) I am not in charge of this and they are subject to change. http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9384-Freezing-Saddles-2016-Important-Information&p=125526#post125526
Let me know what I forgot/got wrong/we want to change.

S. Arlington Observer
12-11-2015, 11:30 AM
ok, I updated with gameplay/rules and a disclaimer that (at the risk of sounding like rcannon) I am not in charge of this and they are subject to change. http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9384-Freezing-Saddles-2016-Important-Information&p=125526#post125526
Let me know what I forgot/got wrong/we want to change.

I signed up without knowing what is involved. I am SO happy to actually understand it better. Even more happy that I won't drag my team down by being in Florida for about 20 days during the season. (Away rides count... I had no idea.) I always ride the bike there and happy to see that it will count. But I'll also be on the trail here. Nothing but ice or rain keeps me off it on a workday. Looking forward to challenging the Polar Vortex for the cause.

TwoWheelsDC
12-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Even more happy that I won't drag my team down by being in Florida for about 20 days during the season. (Away rides count... I had no idea.)

They count, but you have to wear the same clothes riding down there that a typical rider would be wearing up here. So if it's 25 here and 75 there, you gotta wear thermal bibs, a wool base layer, heavy jacket, balaclava, winter boots, etc...*

*I just made this up, but I think it's a pretty awesome rule.

S. Arlington Observer
12-14-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm learning how to use Strava.

Is it possible to simply tell it to duplicate a prior trip (as a new one) or to use a "route" as an actual trip? Most of my activity involves the same commuting routes. While I try to turn it on to log the trip precisely (and to get the speed and other info) I sometimes forget and wonder if there is an easier way to make a manual entry.

cvcalhoun
12-14-2015, 04:40 PM
It is, but it's a bit complicated. If you go to the ride, and click on the little thing on the left that looks like a wrench, one of the choices is "download GPX." Once you do that, you can edit the GPX file by opening it in Notepad, doing a search and replace from the old date to the new one. Then just upload it to Strava. Once it's up, double-check it to make sure it ended up on the correct date. If it did not, you can edit it to change the date.

I'm learning how to use Strava.

Is it possible to simply tell it to duplicate a prior trip (as a new one) or to use a "route" as an actual trip? Most of my activity involves the same commuting routes. While I try to turn it on to log the trip precisely (and to get the speed and other info) I sometimes forget and wonder if there is an easier way to make a manual entry.

cvcalhoun
12-14-2015, 04:41 PM
For anyone keeping track at home, we have already exceeded the number of registrants from last year, even with 10 days left to register. Last year, we had 133 people on teams, plus five slackers. This year, we aren't allowing slackers to register yet, but we already have 138 registrations. Looking forward to an even more fun competition this time!

timo96
12-14-2015, 07:13 PM
sweet!

Mikey
12-15-2015, 12:11 PM
l
For anyone keeping track at home, we have already exceeded the number of registrants from last year, even with 10 days left to register. Last year, we had 133 people on teams, plus five slackers. This year, we aren't allowing slackers to register yet, but we already have 138 registrations. Looking forward to an even more fun competition this time!

that's because it's 70 degrees out.

consularrider
12-15-2015, 01:32 PM
l

that's because it's 70 degrees out.

And they'll really be sorry come January.

cvcalhoun
12-15-2015, 04:45 PM
And they'll really be sorry come January.

Yeah, but by then they'll have been assimilated. :D

PRSteve27
12-17-2015, 12:22 PM
When I follow the link to register, the site won't load. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks,
Steve

cvcalhoun
12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
The server has been having some issues the past couple of days. They are working on fixing it, and it's up right now. Can you please try again?
When I follow the link to register, the site won't load. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks,
Steve

sjclaeys
12-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Yeah, but by then they'll have been assimilated. :D

TriGirlSara
12-22-2015, 11:22 AM
A friend of mine just tried to register online and several of the questions that had checkboxes underneath them are no longer showing any of the checkboxes (the other side of the river, are you willing to be a team captain, puppies!, are you really gonna play, will you participate in the reindeer games). Since some of these are required to submit registration, it's not letting him submit his info. I just registered yesterday and it was fine, though. I also just tried opening the page in chrome, IE, and on my iPhone, but those fields were missing from all of them.

I told my friend to just try again tomorrow, but it seems like something went buggy on the website between yesterday and today. Thanks in advance for any help with this!

cvcalhoun
12-22-2015, 11:40 AM
A friend of mine just tried to register online and several of the questions that had checkboxes underneath them are no longer showing any of the checkboxes (the other side of the river, are you willing to be a team captain, puppies!, are you really gonna play, will you participate in the reindeer games). Since some of these are required to submit registration, it's not letting him submit his info. I just registered yesterday and it was fine, though. I also just tried opening the page in chrome, IE, and on my iPhone, but those fields were missing from all of them.

I told my friend to just try again tomorrow, but it seems like something went buggy on the website between yesterday and today. Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Thanks for letting me know! Apparently, the author of the plug-in decided to put in some "security fixes" that made the form so secure that no one could use it. There was a new update today that fixed this. Please have your friend try again?

TriGirlSara
12-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks for letting me know! Apparently, the author of the plug-in decided to put in some "security fixes" that made the form so secure that no one could use it. There was a new update today that fixed this. Please have your friend try again?

Wow, that was a quick fix! All is well now. Thank you!

sjclaeys
12-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Wow, that was a quick fix! All is well now. Thank you!

Unfortunately, this still seems to be a problem. A friend just told me that he cannot sign up due to the missing answers.

cvcalhoun
12-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Unfortunately, this still seems to be a problem. A friend just told me that he cannot sign up due to the missing answers.

Your friend was able to sign up. Apparently, he must have tried before the form got updated, and only told you about it after that.