PDA

View Full Version : Pointless Prizes 2016

Steve O
12-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Just getting this thread up and running.

I also want to announce a solution to this issue:

I was wondering, is there some way Freezing Saddles riders can make themselves identifiable (to each other) on the roads?

I like either the ribbon or the reflective thing, one note--Women & Bicycles has white ankle cuffs. That is a somewhat small subset, but also an overlapping subset :D

Pink and green are fun though!

I think this is a good idea. There are some clues, but no clear identifier:

Many of us have the little reflective tags that say "Bike Arlington" or "Bike Forum" - some are yellow, some are blue, and some are even pink! I think that was the idea behind this. Maybe a volunteer could make another go at it.

I volunteer!
I have ordered a big supply of NEON GREEN ankle bands like this:

When they come in I will make them available for $3 each; 2 for $5. You can put them on your ankles or just wrap one around one of your tubes. I think the green is unusual enough to make it easy to spot each other.

In a few weeks, in the most miserable part of winter, you can probably assume most crazy peopl....er...riders you see are BAFS participants.

peterw_diy
12-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Great idea. More practical than the forum tag that ended up permanently clipped to my commuter rig, leaving me unmarked on the other bikes. And visible from multiple angles.

Would you please make sure Eric Williams' weighs at least 10 pounds, unless he's on my team?

lordofthemark
12-02-2015, 07:42 PM
There is a brand of Israeli chocolate called "Elite". I could get some at the Fairfax Shoppers. I am sure someone can think of a suitable thing for which it could be the prize.

Steve O
12-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Man, I can't wait for Jan 1, so that my Strava feed gets more interesting:

scorchedearth
12-04-2015, 10:48 AM

I also want to announce a solution to this issue:

I volunteer!

When they come in I will make them available for $3 each; 2 for $5. You can put them on your ankles or just wrap one around one of your tubes. I think the green is unusual enough to make it easy to spot each other.

I'll definitely be in for two.

CPTJohnC
12-04-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm in for a couple of ankle bands. And I will happily sponsor a Pointless Prize again this year. Maybe 2. Specifics to be determined at a later time, as usual.

Brünø Moore
12-04-2015, 11:21 PM
I will be doing a Pointless Prize.

It will be coffee related.

I doubt anyone's surprised.

consularrider
12-05-2015, 04:34 AM

I volunteer!

International shipping, or will they be available at the first happy hour?

kwarkentien
12-05-2015, 07:43 AM

I love this! Count me in for two.

Steve O
12-05-2015, 07:46 AM
International shipping, or will they be available at the first happy hour?

Arriving today, according to the tracking #

consularrider
12-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Arriving today, according to the tracking #

Can you hold two back for me?

Steve O
12-06-2015, 05:38 PM
They are in! Some who came to the chili & a movie last night already have them. Keep an eye out.

ewilliams0305
12-06-2015, 08:47 PM
I'll rock those! Bring them to the Happy Hour and ill be sure to scoop extras up for the #dtsscoffeeclub crew

vern
12-06-2015, 08:51 PM
I like! Kindly hold two for me. I can't come to coffee this Friday to retrieve, but will do so some other time.

Steve O
12-06-2015, 11:55 PM
I will have them at the Inspired to Ride (http://arlingtondrafthouse.com/drafthouse/event.aspx?eid=4144) film this Thursday at the Drafthouse & Cinema

Bike Arlington (actually WABA, sorry) is hosting a ride to the film (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bike-movie-ride-to-arlington-cinema-draft-house-to-see-inspired-to-ride-tickets-19790855983?) from Courthouse at 6PM.

Hope to see you there.

I also am a maybe for this week's Imperial HDCC at Best Buns.

creadinger
12-07-2015, 08:09 AM
I can sponsor a pointless prize this year! If possible I'd like to award the coldest ride or something similar... Maybe the most miles in the single digits or something like that. I can't participate this year because I'll be gone for all of Jan-Feb, but where I'm going will be a perfect place to pick up prizes.

I'm thinking 2 prizes:
1) The ride during the coldest recorded temperature of the contest
2) The longest ride on the day with the coldest high temperature

As I recall, the program recorded temperatures for semi-local reporting stations right?

Sunyata
12-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I will have them at the Inspired to Ride (http://arlingtondrafthouse.com/drafthouse/event.aspx?eid=4144) film this Thursday at the Drafthouse & Cinema

Sweet, I will pick two up then. :)

AFHokie
12-07-2015, 09:51 AM

If you become a definite, I'd like to get 2.

Also, what time would you anticipate arriving? I usually pass Shirlington by 6:30/6:45, but can certainly delay.

Raymo853
12-07-2015, 10:28 AM
I assume this is a good place & time to announce my two ideas for pointless prizes that I will buy/make/freegan appropriate prizes for. Terse descriptions:

1: Visit the most States in one ride. Must include DC, VA or MD. A MD, WV, VA, PA (https://www.strava.com/routes/3748325) ride would count as 4 but a Rhode Island, Mass, Conn, New York, Vermont ride would not count at all. Ties broken by length.
2: Visit the most DC bike shops in a ride. Photo of you or your bike in front of the shop required. Hopefully would get people to search out those small obscure shops. Box Stores would not count. Ties broken by my assessment of shop obscurity or length.

Tim Kelley
12-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Bike Arlington is hosting a ride to the film (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bike-movie-ride-to-arlington-cinema-draft-house-to-see-inspired-to-ride-tickets-19790855983?) from Courthouse at 6PM.

Hey Steve O, we're flattered, but we can't actually take credit for leading this ride. From the page you linked, it looks like Renee Yvonne will be putting it on. Looks like fun though, let us know how it goes. Yay for bike culture!

Vicegrip
12-07-2015, 11:43 AM
I can make another golden ingot for the longest ride on 1/1/16.

Should I stamp Eric's name into it now and get that part finished?

ewilliams0305
12-07-2015, 11:52 AM

Bike Arlington is hosting a ride to the film (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bike-movie-ride-to-arlington-cinema-draft-house-to-see-inspired-to-ride-tickets-19790855983?) from Courthouse at 6PM.

Hope to see you there.

This sounds awesome and I really enjoyed the film. Unfortunately that would put me out past my bed time, and the last thing I really need is one more thing motivating me to "try" the race. Maybe I'll try and make it to FridayCoffeeClub if you'll be there? I'll pick up a couple

ewilliams0305
12-07-2015, 11:56 AM
I'll do most climbing for the duration of the contest. I had a great idea last year for a prize and failed miserably when I came down with a flu days prior to the final happy hour. I promise a prize that will help keep you warm up on the top of those hills, too bad you won't get it until after winter's over:)

Raymo853
12-07-2015, 12:29 PM
1: Visit the most States in one ride. Must include DC, VA or MD. A MD, WV, VA, PA (https://www.strava.com/routes/3748325) ride would count as 4 but a Rhode Island, Mass, Conn, New York, Vermont ride would not count at all. Ties broken by length.

Might add a bonus prize for this one if it turns out to be anyone other than Eric Williams. His ride into PA during BAFS 2015 gave me this idea.

ewilliams0305
12-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Might add a bonus prize for this one if it turns out to be anyone other than Eric Williams. His ride into PA during BAFS 2015 gave me this idea.

I have a 5 state ride if anyone wants to join me:). Maybe be too cold for that crap but its certainly doable. If fact if you join me you can have the prize. (yes I'm counting DC as a state)

dasgeh
12-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Let's see, I'll do something.... #kidical!

*cough cough* will you have some tonight? *cough cough*

Hey Steve O, we're flattered, but we can't actually take credit for leading this ride. From the page you linked, it looks like Renee Yvonne will be putting it on. Looks like fun though, let us know how it goes. Yay for bike culture!

Renee = WABA's Women & Bicycles Program Director.

Steve O
12-07-2015, 02:32 PM
This sounds awesome and I really enjoyed the film. Unfortunately that would put me out past my bed time, and the last thing I really need is one more thing motivating me to "try" the race. Maybe I'll try and make it to FridayCoffeeClub if you'll be there? I'll pick up a couple

I don't usually make the Swing's FCC, but if not, I will transfer some at Java Shack to dcv or dread or KCyndi or someone who is going down there.
Or maybe I'll make the trip in on Friday to say hi for a change. Either way, the bands will arrive at FCC, The Original.

Steve O
12-07-2015, 02:33 PM
*cough cough* will you have some tonight? *cough cough*

Si.

dbb
12-07-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm in for a couple. See you tonight

Sunyata
12-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Pointless Prizes:

Okay, since everyone always comments about my early commutes, I will sign up to do the "Early Bird" award. This one is easy: Most miles ridden before sunrise.

I think I also want to do a "Flat Lander" award for the person with the least amount of elevation gain compared to miles ridden. I will figure the details of that one out a little later.

dkel
12-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I think I also want to do a "Flat Lander" award for the person with the least amount of elevation gain compared to miles ridden. I will figure the details of that one out a little later.

Manual entries in Strava always give you zero elevation. You might have to figure out how to deal with that.

americancyclo
12-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Manual entries in Strava always give you zero elevation. You might have to figure out how to deal with that.

greater than zero?

dkel
12-08-2015, 02:29 PM
greater than zero?

If by this you mean only tally elevation and miles on rides that have greater than zero elevation, that would be an obvious solution. The programmer(s) would have to set that up (if it's not set up already to do that kind of filtering).

kwarkentien
12-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Here's my first BAFS 2016 Pointless Prize: first 10 people to do 5 laps around Hains Point. I am tentatively planning to do a FNFSHPP (First Night of Freezing Saddles Hains Point Party) on New Year's Eve/Day. More details to follow.

cvcalhoun
12-09-2015, 05:02 AM

Won't this be pretty much identical to the "most Hains Point laps" category?

Sunyata
12-09-2015, 08:39 AM

I was kind of thinking that manual entries will not count for this prize. Which, I guess means that I would need to be able to see Strava feeds for those who are in contention. Hmm. I will figure something out. :)

ewilliams0305
12-09-2015, 09:17 AM
In addition to a climbing challenge I'll also do the longest coldest ride.

Here's how I think it could/should work. Take the number of miles ridden and divide it by the temperature.

So a 210 mile ride ridden at average 17 deg would yield what I'm calling the "frozen toe" factor of 12.35

A 210 mile ride at 36 degrees would yield a frozen toe factor of 5.83.

Get it, the person with the highest number and the most frozen toes wins! I think all the data is already collect so it shouldn't be much work.

The prize, a lifetime supply (or whatever I can afford) of toe warmers for next year (hopefully the shelf life is good for one year, I'll confirm)

jrenaut
12-09-2015, 09:42 AM
It's going to get a little complicated for the rides with negative degree averages, though there shouldn't be TOO many of them.

Steve O
12-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Here's how I think it could/should work. Take the number of miles ridden and divide it by the temperature.

So a 210 mile ride ridden at average 17 deg would yield what I'm calling the "frozen toe" factor of 12.35

Get it, the person with the highest number and the most frozen toes wins! I think all the data is already collect so it shouldn't be much work.

The prize, a lifetime supply (or whatever I can afford) of toe warmers for next year (hopefully the shelf life is good for one year, I'll confirm)

So 10 miles at 40 degrees is 0.25. Count me in.

DrP
12-09-2015, 09:54 AM
It's going to get a little complicated for the rides with negative degree averages, though there shouldn't be TOO many of them.

Convert all temperatures to Kelvin and there won't be a negative average. (and you will feel warmer by knowing the temperature is over 200 deg!)

ewilliams0305
12-09-2015, 09:59 AM

Damn! I tried a few mathamagical things and I'm stumped, maybe someone smart wants help figure this out. I don't want a 12 mile ride at -12 degrees winning out against a 180 mile ride ridden at 5...

I smell a very complicated spreadsheet in the works, or some sort of table? Maybe I'm missing something simple here

DismalScientist
12-09-2015, 10:04 AM
You need to set a new "absolute zero." Adding 30 degrees to the average temperature, for example, would be like treating -30 F as zero. The order of "winning" rides will depend on your choice of "absolute zero." Using degrees Kelvin, where "absolute zero" is, in fact, absolute zero, would be a solution to this issue, but not the only one.

ewilliams0305
12-09-2015, 10:09 AM
You need to set a new "absolute zero." Adding 30 degrees to the average temperature, for example, would be like treating -30 F as zero. The order of "winning" rides will depend on your choice of "absolute zero." Using degrees Kelvin, where "absolute zero" is, in fact, absolute zero, would be a solution to this issue, but not the only one.

You just earned your screen name! that's very simple. Adding thirty degrees works for me, new zero -30, and I really hope we never see that crap.

A 40 mile ride at -30 will score 40, you if you ride 40 miles at -30 I have no problem with that winning!

jrenaut
12-09-2015, 10:11 AM

Leave it to the economist to suggest a perfectly workable solution that makes a mathematician's skin crawl.

DismalScientist
12-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Actually, a 40 mile ride at -30 F will give an infinite score. A 40 mile ride at -29 F will give a score of 40.

We dismal scientists are nothing if not pedantic.

TwoWheelsDC
12-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Or you know, divide temperature by mileage instead and have the lowest number win.

DismalScientist
12-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Then a 2 mile ride at -1 F is more impressive than a 1000 mile ride at -10 F.:rolleyes:

consularrider
12-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Last edited by DismalScientist; Today at 11:22 AM. Reason: If I ride backwards, does that give me negative miles?

Yeah, just like driving in reverse makes your odometer go backwards lowering your milage.

creadinger
12-09-2015, 11:34 AM

This is kinda similar to my plan of 1) awarding the coldest overall temperature ride.. pretty self explanatory unless there are ties. Longest ride wins.

2) Longest ride on the day with the coldest high temperature.

Do you want to work together on this? Or Maybe 3 prizes for cold temps actually makes the most sense given that this is a winter riding competition called Freezing Saddles.

It would be nice though if we made it so that one or two people didn't win all three prizes.

ewilliams0305
12-09-2015, 11:53 AM
This is kinda similar to my plan of 1) awarding the coldest overall temperature ride.. pretty self explanatory unless there are ties. Longest ride wins.

2) Longest ride on the day with the coldest high temperature.

Do you want to work together on this? Or Maybe 3 prizes for cold temps actually makes the most sense given that this is a winter riding competition called Freezing Saddles.

It would be nice though if we made it so that one or two people didn't win all three prizes.

In and I agree. But you have to promise to ride that 200k route on the ice shelf while your there! I elected myself for this one so I can't win:) hoping to maybe motivate so newbies (or vetrans) to do what I did last year without actually doing what I did last year.

dasgeh
12-09-2015, 12:31 PM
You just earned your screen name!

He earns the first part daily. :rolleyes:

creadinger
12-09-2015, 12:56 PM
In and I agree. But you have to promise to ride that 200k route on the ice shelf while your there! I elected myself for this one so I can't win:) hoping to maybe motivate so newbies (or vetrans) to do what I did last year without actually doing what I did last year.

Cool! Sounds good. You would be eligible to win at least one of my prizes, but only if you're tough enough. We can discuss them all again in early March or something.

The problem with riding a 200K on an ice shelf, is that I would be willing to bet that it's "illegal", against base rules, or at least highly frowned upon, as in - 'don't ever come back'. Since it's such a dangerous place, I think to limit the number of people-doing-stupid-shit deaths (like riding 200K on an ice shelf) they make rules about going out on your own. :D

Feel free to picture me riding one of these though... I think traditional time cut-offs would be virtually impossible.

Arlingtonrider
12-10-2015, 09:09 AM
I volunteer to provide the annual pointless prize for most Hains Point Loops.

lordofthemark
12-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Did we have a prize for the last place team, last year? I think that would be a good one for Elite Chocolate which I volunteer to provide. Otherwise maybe for the tortoise award? (I forget what the prize for that was, if it was something tortoise related than non tortoise shaped chocolate might not be the best prize)

Kitty
12-11-2015, 08:19 AM
Ooo Ooo! I think I have one. I'm new to this game, so let me know what you think of: The Michigander "You call that a snow day?" Prize!

It will go to whomever rides on each of the official OPM-called snow days this season. If there are multiple candidates, mileage will be the tie-breaker.

If there are no snow days this year, I'll think of something else emblematic (Strava route that most closely resembles a mitten?)

For the prize, I'm thinking a 6-pack of assorted craft beers from Michigan.

dasgeh
12-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Ooo Ooo! I think I have one. I'm new to this game, so let me know what you think of: The Michigander "You call that a snow day?" Prize!

It will go to whomever rides on each of the official OPM-called snow days this season. If there are multiple candidates, mileage will be the tie-breaker.

If there are no snow days this year, I'll think of something else emblematic (Strava route that most closely resembles a mitten?)

For the prize, I'm thinking a 6-pack of assorted craft beers from Michigan.

You realize that (1) there are a fair number of perfect attendees every year and (2) some take a day off to go on really long rides, right?

ShawnoftheDread
12-11-2015, 10:19 AM
You realize that (1) there are a fair number of perfect attendees every year and (2) some take a day off to go on really long rides, right?

I think the mileage tie breaker accounts for this perfectly. And I assume it will be total mileage for all the snow days together.

americancyclo
12-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Most miles on an ELF.
prize: TBD.
must use hashtag #goonwithyourBAFSELF

Tania
12-11-2015, 03:54 PM
Most miles on an ELF.
prize: TBD.
must use hashtag #goonwithyourBAFSELF

I don't want to rock the boat baby or tip the boat over but shouldn't it be #rockonwithyourbafself?

glennpstevens
12-11-2015, 08:34 PM
In keeping with a long standing tradition of two years, Rule 9 Velo will be passing on possession of the Billy Goat Trophy to the team with the most climbing per mile (Elevation Gain (feet) / Distance traveled (miles))

cvcalhoun
12-12-2015, 01:35 AM
Last year, the tortoise prize was a Turtle Fur Neck Warmer. I can say that with some authority since I have been the winner of the tortoise prize two years in a row. If I manage this a third time, perhaps we ought to retire the prize? :D
Did we have a prize for the last place team, last year? I think that would be a good one for Elite Chocolate which I volunteer to provide. Otherwise maybe for the tortoise award? (I forget what the prize for that was, if it was something tortoise related than non tortoise shaped chocolate might not be the best prize)

cvcalhoun
12-12-2015, 03:00 AM
This kind of reminds me of when we found a traditional lesbian wedding (http://www.ritualwell.org/ritual/traditional-lesbian-wedding) online, and wondered just how long a tradition that could possibly have been. I don't think that word--"traditional"--means what you think it means.

In keeping with a long standing tradition of two years, Rule 9 Velo will be passing on possession of the Billy Goat Trophy to the team with the most climbing per mile (Elevation Gain (feet) / Distance traveled (miles))

Steve O
12-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Maybe I'll try and make it to FridayCoffeeClub if you'll be there? I'll pick up a couple
Either way, the bands will arrive at FCC, The Original.

I lied. They did not make it, because all of the FCC Shackers who were heading into Swings admitted to being too untrustworthy.

However, I am working on a FS-neon-green-reflective-ankle-band mail option for those who are unlikely to bump into me. Details in the near future.

consularrider
12-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Which coffee clubs will you attend this week? Do you offer drop off service in Dominion Hills? ;)

ewilliams0305
12-14-2015, 03:09 PM
I lied. They did not make it, because all of the FCC Shackers who were heading into Swings admitted to being too untrustworthy.

However, I am working on a FS-neon-green-reflective-ankle-band mail option for those who are unlikely to bump into me. Details in the near future.

While I never did make it there last Friday, I plan to be there this Friday:) Maybe it will work out, otherwise, happy to support the US postal service

Steve O
12-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Which coffee clubs will you attend this week?
I try to keep that a secret, so sjclaeys cannot avoid me.

KWL
12-14-2015, 10:03 PM
However, I am working on a FS-neon-green-reflective-ankle-band mail option for those who are unlikely to bump into me. Details in the near future. I like this option. I usually cannot attend FCC(insert number here) because I need to get to work. Any Friday I am not working, I just enjoy sleeping in too much.

Steve O
12-20-2015, 10:45 PM
Here is the preliminary list of proposed pointless prizes (and one that I think should be classified as a side bet) so far.
Visit this link for the list of last year's prizes (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7994-Pointless-Prizes-2015&p=111924#post111924).

Consular rider’s departure date/time (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7864-Freezing-Saddles-2015-At-Least-Yer-Not-in-Kiev-Comrade&p=120840#post120840) - Steve O (won by Dickie)
Elf photo caption contest (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9306-BAFS-2016-Pointless-Prize-2) (still open) – Steve O
Coffee related - Bruno Moore
The ride during the coldest recorded temperature of the contest - creadinger
The longest ride on the day with the coldest high temperature – creadinger
Longest, coldest ride – ewilliams0305
(ewilliams & creadinger will collaborate to sort these out)
Visit the most States in one ride. – Raymo853
Visit the most DC bike shops in a ride.– Raymo 853
Golden Ingot (longest 1/1/2016 ride) – vicegrip
Most climbing (whole contest) – ewilliams0305
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird – Sunyata
Flat Lander (?) – Sunyata
Hains Point laps – Arlingtonrider
Last place team or tortoise award - lordofthemark
“you call that a snow day” – kitty
Most miles on an ELF – americancyclo
Team Billy Goat – glennpstevens

I think this one qualifies as a side bet:
First 10 people to do 5 HP laps - kwarkentien (vying to win her own, evidently)

cvcalhoun
12-20-2015, 11:49 PM

This should be interesting, given that we won't be allowing the ELF into the competition. I will leave it to hozn how to count ELF miles toward this prize, but not count them toward overall mileage. Special hashtag, perhaps?

Steve O
12-21-2015, 12:00 AM
This should be interesting, given that we won't be allowing the ELF into the competition. I will leave it to hozn how to count ELF miles toward this prize, but not count them toward overall mileage. Special hashtag, perhaps?

(psst - I think he was kidding)

cvcalhoun
12-21-2015, 12:06 AM

Just as well, really. Because otherwise, after 14 pages of discussion on the topic, I might have had a nervous breakdown. This would have been distressing to my future teammates, to the extent it diminished my riding. (We must have a sense of priorities here--all nervous breakdowns are to be scheduled after March 20 and before January 1!)

wheels&wings
12-21-2015, 10:35 AM
all nervous breakdowns are to be scheduled after March 20

While we are on the topic of mental health…

The psychotropic attributes of bicycle riding are, shall we say, mind-boggling…far surpassing what anti-depressants, aphrodisiacs, sleeping pills, or other pharmaceuticals could do for us. It’s the withdrawal that’s dangerous, so the key is to ride every day. But if – perish the thought -- life intervenes and there’s a day we cannot ride, it just so happens that I will be offering an FS Drug Prize to fill the gap.

I have several other prizes TBA.

sjclaeys
12-21-2015, 04:32 PM
I will run the Beerneuring side bet again.

elwbikes
12-21-2015, 04:59 PM
I'll volunteer a prize for the person who rides in the most states, and another one for person who rides in the most countries.
I'm not sure what the prize will be (maybe some Adventure Cycling Swag?!), but it will arrive priority mail to one of the organizers of the ending happy hour.

p.s. data people, is there an easy way to do this? Let me know, and if not, I will painstakingly follow each and every contestant and check daily for their ride locations!!!

chris_s
12-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Assuming I can get appropriate access to the data to do the math, I will award a pointless prize to the rider whose average daily mileage is closest to Π (pi)

KWL
12-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Assuming I can get appropriate access to the data to do the math, I will award a pointless prize to the rider whose average daily mileage is closest to Π (pi)Is that average of all days, or average of all days ridden?

hozn
12-21-2015, 10:11 PM
Assuming I can get appropriate access to the data to do the math, I will award a pointless prize to the rider whose average daily mileage is closest to Π (pi)

No problem; you can get direct database access for your query. Or I can run it for you. I'm wondering if we've had a contestant ride so little, but I don't have previous years' data in front of me.

Steve O
12-23-2015, 11:10 AM

I'm wondering if we've had a contestant ride so little.

Yes, if we use 78 days, then that's about 245 miles. Last year there were 25 riders who rode that far or less. I don't believe any of them were every day riders, but I'm sure the math would work for someone if you used their actual days instead.

Steve O
12-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Maybe you could have a ringer present it since I was the subject of it after all (who cares about people named Steve, if it's not a variation of Chris, it doesn't count).

Okay, consular will make the presentation at the initial happy hour.

americancyclo
12-23-2015, 11:45 AM
We're not joking Just joking We are joking Just joking We're not joking (http://genius.com/38703/Das-racist-hahahaha-jk/Were-not-joking-just-joking-we-are-joking-just-joking-were-not-joking)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LliTqJNKJrM#t=23

rcannon100
12-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Dog-o-neuring

tba

Vicegrip
12-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Careful how you say that around boy dogs. :rolleyes:

consularrider
12-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Okay, consular will make the presentation at the initial happy hour.

You do deliver, right?

Raymo853
12-23-2015, 08:05 PM
I plan to write up the rules on my two soon and post. My move to Denver may occur before the end of BAFS, if so I will be looking for someone to handle the handling of the prizes. I will still find/produce them but may miss the ending party.

I almost find it disappointing BAFS ends on a Saturday. Having to go to work the day of and the day after kinda defines the pain of bike commuting.

Steve O
12-24-2015, 10:31 AM
I will continue this year as Unassailable Czar of Ride Titles. (Phatboing will be badly missed.)

If you are trying to come up with an idea, I thought of this one after seeing Raymo's bucket list:
Coffee Club side bet: Rider who visits the most coffee clubs during the competition. Or it could be a team competition as well: Highest Coffee Club Attendance. Mark your ride with #coffeeclub or something (check with hozn on technology questions).

I am not volunteering to do this one, but offer it up as an idea for someone else to grab (Bruno?)

Brünø Moore
12-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Oh Trust Me, it has been thought of. From Herndon to College Park, Vienna to St. Kaldi's, coffee clubs, coffee meetings, and WABAcoffeestops Will Be Accounted For. It may be a separate "runner up/spinoff" prize, but it will be part of the competition.

ginacico
12-24-2015, 02:35 PM
How about Coffeeneuring-style "coffee without walls"? Extra credit if you make your own outside -- bean grinder, camp stove, and French press?

The importance of coffee, nor the motivation it provides to pursue Pointless Prizes, should not be underestimated.

Maybe this will be my next job.

https://youtu.be/gFpDnASzUlk

Brünø Moore
12-25-2015, 03:42 AM
You all are very, very seriously underestimating how much of a multipart scavhunt this is going to be. Just...look, think about the person sponsoring the challenge. There isn't much I take seriously. Coffee is one of those few things. Oh, you thought #coffeeneuring had rules. You thought it was complicated. Just You Wait. Brünø's Coffeequest isn't likely to be completed by anyone. It's really not supposed to be completable within #bafs2016 by any one participant. I suspect that I will have completed most of it at some part or other (hey, I'm the one behind the challenge), but really—the chances of a Virginia person making it to Silver Spring or College Park for a coffee club are pretty low, and I know I ain't biking to Fairfax that early in the morning. If you're going to earn the sack o' beans (those of you who know how serious I am about my coffee—most everyone reading this, I'm guessing—know that I'll be giving Serious Beans as at least one of the prizes), it'll take more than just visiting a couple coffee shops.

So yes. Coffee outside? Check. Coffee outside in a specific place? Check. Specific tea in specific place outside? Also check. Specific coffee prepared by specific person in specific place in specific circumstance? Someone besides me is going to know all the above, so checkeroony.

kwarkentien
12-25-2015, 06:58 AM
How about Coffeeneuring-style "coffee without walls"? Extra credit if you make your own outside -- bean grinder, camp stove, and French press?

The importance of coffee, nor the motivation it provides to pursue Pointless Prizes, should not be underestimated.

Maybe this will be my next job.

https://youtu.be/gFpDnASzUlk

If you pair this up with Sol's pie cart, I think that is the definition of nirvana!

Mtansill
12-26-2015, 07:20 AM

No, you should include the entire state and make it a true challenge. After all, the UP gets the highest annual snowfall in the US. :)

...Former Yooper

Steve O
01-01-2016, 11:03 PM
Here is the current list as far as I can tell. Please let me know if there are any corrections.

Consular rider’s departure date/time - Steve O (won by Dickie)
Elf photo caption contest – Steve O (closes in an hour)
Ride titles – Steve O
Coffee related - Bruno Moore
(creadinger and ewilliams will collaborate to sort these out)
Visit the most States in one ride. – Raymo853
Visit the most DC bike shops in a ride.– Raymo 853
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird – Sunyata
Last place team or tortoise award - lordofthemark
FS Drug Prize – wheels&wings
Others TBD – wheels&wings
Rides in most states - elwbikes
Rides in most countries – elwbikes
Average daily mileage closest to pi – Chris_s
A really really totally pointless prize - Dickie
Artisanally handcrafted hipster prizes from PDX - kelonwheels

Undefined prize TBA:
vvill
komorebi
CPTJohnC
Alcova Cyclist
eminva
vern

Side bets:
First 10 people to do 5 HP laps – kwarkentien
Golden Ingot (longest 1/1/2016 ride) – vicegrip
Rookie golden nugget – ewilliams0305
Beerneuring – sjclaeys
Bicycle Tag – Steve O
Dog-o-neuring (TBA) – rcannon100
Instagram - Subby

Kitty
01-06-2016, 08:36 AM
No, you should include the entire state and make it a true challenge. After all, the UP gets the highest annual snowfall in the US. :)

...Former Yooper

I should've said "mittens"--gotta love a state that you can map out with both hands. Much love to the Yoop as a hardcore Northland that doesn't bother plowing the roads in favor of driving on it instead!

In other news, while I was in the "Mitten State" I tested out out car on its first errands in the snow to procure 6 unique Michigan craft brews for my prize. You will find no Bells, Founders, or New Holland in this box, but a mix of beers and small-scale breweries. :o

elwbikes
01-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Last year, the tortoise prize was a Turtle Fur Neck Warmer. I can say that with some authority since I have been the winner of the tortoise prize two years in a row. If I manage this a third time, perhaps we ought to retire the prize? :D

Um, I think you may have some competition on this front this year. I'm going slow due to riding on pure ICE.

cvcalhoun
01-06-2016, 11:19 PM
Um, I think you may have some competition on this front this year. I'm going slow due to riding on pure ICE.
Well, it's not like I was actually trying to compete for it! Although since you have to be at the final happy hour to collect, you may be disqualified anyway.

Raymo853
01-16-2016, 10:50 AM
The Loose Rules on my challanges:

#1 Most states:
In a single day of continuous riding, ride in the most states possible. Must include either VA, MD or DC. (DC does count as a state) No shuttling or multimodal allowed. (so no riding through DC, VA, MD and then taking the train to PA)

Bonus Points for tie breaking: starting and ending in the same state, shortest distance, 2x for including another country (embassy grounds do not count)

Prize: Some found/made prize and bottle of rye whiskey. Alternative to the rye is a $50 donation in your name to what ever bike charity you want

#2 Most Bike shops:

I may want to change this to something else, the most Food for All Dc Deliveries (http://www.foodforalldc.org/wp/). But I need to check on something before doing that.

wheels&wings
01-21-2016, 12:12 AM
This icy winter snowstorm offers an opportunity to announce another of the several pointless prizes I plan to award: the prize for the most crashes. We can call it the London Bridge prize, or… for any Bruce fans, the “I’m goin’ down” prize. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fdZWbIsrFk

Initially I wanted to offer this prize last winter, but it became painfully apparent that I’d have to award it to myself… how dorky is that? :)

The thing I'm not sure of is how we'll know who the winner is this year. What is the best way to keep track of how many times we go down? I don't know if we’d need a separate thread or if it’s better to add a specific keyword to ride titles… or if we should just rely on self-reporting at the end of the season – crashes are generally engraved quite powerfully in the memory, so I don't expect anyone will forget.

Be safe, everyone. w&w

vern
01-21-2016, 01:55 PM
I am sponsoring a pointless prize related to the upcoming predicted blizzard. I will give an appropriate prize(s) at the final HH to the rider who logs the most miles on Saturday, January 23rd, between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. The ride must take place in the Washington/Baltimore metropolitan area.

Happy Cycling!

consularrider
01-21-2016, 02:27 PM
I am sponsoring a pointless prize related to the upcoming predicted blizzard. I will give an appropriate prize(s) at the final HH to the rider who logs the most miles on Saturday, January 23rd, between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. The ride must take place in the Washington/Baltimore metropolitan area.

Happy Cycling!

Rampant Western Hemisphere discrimination!

Kitty
01-24-2016, 08:45 PM
This icy winter snowstorm offers an opportunity to announce another of the several pointless prizes I plan to award: the prize for the most crashes. We can call it the London Bridge prize, or… for any Bruce fans, the “I’m goin’ down” prize. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fdZWbIsrFk

Initially I wanted to offer this prize last winter, but it became painfully apparent that I’d have to award it to myself… how dorky is that? :)

The thing I'm not sure of is how we'll know who the winner is this year. What is the best way to keep track of how many times we go down? I don't know if we’d need a separate thread or if it’s better to add a specific keyword to ride titles… or if we should just rely on self-reporting at the end of the season – crashes are generally engraved quite powerfully in the memory, so I don't expect anyone will forget.

Be safe, everyone. w&w

Oh! Let me know how you decide you quantify this! I wiped out 3 times on Wednesday's ice and again the following day (for 4 so far!) It would be nice to get something out of it other than some nasty bruises and a broken water bottle cage. :p

CPTJohnC
01-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Okay -- I can shape both of my prizes:

1) I will, as I did last year, give 2 Pointless Prizes (1 each) for the male and female participant whose average daily mileage shows the lowest variance, but with some caveats: the person must ride at least 2/3 of the days of the competition and the average must not exceed 10 (because I like to discriminate against the high mileage folks - they get plenty of love from others, generally). My recollection is that this was pretty easy to figure out last year, but I'll discuss any issues with the Data Gods. (HH attendance encouraged but not mandatory to win this one).

2) I will give a modest Pointless Prize for EVERY participant who rode at least 1 mile on Friday, January 22, Saturday, January 23 and Sunday, January 24, 2016, all rides to have occurred within the DC Metro area (sorry to our distant participants) and awardees must be present at the final HH to win. By my count, I'm expecting ~100 potential awardees, but I'm sure not all of them will come to HH. ***Additional Caveat: I reserve the right to include additional snow days in the event that we are lucky enough to have another major snow event before the end of BAFS2016.***

My prizes will be baked goods...

Steve O
01-26-2016, 12:53 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........:)

Steve O
01-26-2016, 01:02 PM
Oh! Let me know how you decide you quantify this! I wiped out 3 times on Wednesday's ice and again the following day (for 4 so far!) It would be nice to get something out of it other than some nasty bruises and a broken water bottle cage. :p

Kitty - please go back and read my tips for riding on ice. You shouldn't be falling this much if you are using the proper techniques.
Here I am today on an ice-covered street, with wide-ish slicks, riding one-handed while I take my photo.
I'm not showing this to brag, but to make the point that your bike can and will stay up if you let it do so.

consularrider
01-26-2016, 01:17 PM
... 2) I will give a modest Pointless Prize for EVERY participant who rode at least 1 mile on Friday, January 22, Saturday, January 23 and Sunday, January 24, 2016, all rides to have occurred within the DC Metro area (sorry to our distant participants) and awardees must be present at the final HH to win. By my count, I'm expecting ~100 potential awardees, but I'm sure not all of them will come to HH.

Sigh, and I love baked goods, but it would probably be stale (or just crumbs) by the time it got here via diplomatic pouch anyway. :(

KWL
01-26-2016, 01:53 PM
...2) I will give a modest Pointless Prize for EVERY participant who rode at least 1 mile on Friday, January 22, Saturday, January 23 and Sunday, January 24, 2016, all rides to have occurred within the DC Metro area (sorry to our distant participants) and awardees must be present at the final HH to win. By my count, I'm expecting ~100 potential awardees, but I'm sure not all of them will come to HH.

My prizes will be baked goods...Woohoo! I may be a Pointless Prize winner! All I need to do is show up for final HH. Not such a hard task unless someone books it in the hinterlands of Muralun.

wheels&wings
01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Kitty - please go back and read my tips for riding on ice. You shouldn't be falling this much if you are using the proper techniques.
Here I am today on an ice-covered street, with wide-ish slicks, riding one-handed while I take my photo.

I'm not showing this to brag, but to make the point that your bike can and will stay up if you let it do so.

Steve O: Did you ride the side roads/hills on Wednesday night? They were ice sheets. I'm all for your tips on technique (though I've still got my learner's permit)... "steady arms--back brake" is my mantra on scary ice-rides, but sometimes the conditions are too slippery even for the most carefully honed ice-dancing techniques, imho. I'm impressed that Kitty made it home with only three falls, given all the ice on those hills. w&w

Steve O
01-26-2016, 05:16 PM
Steve O: Did you ride the side roads/hills on Wednesday night? They were ice sheets. I'm all for your tips on technique (though I've still got my learner's permit)... "steady arms--back brake" is my mantra on scary ice-rides, but sometimes the conditions are too slippery even for the most carefully honed ice-dancing techniques, imho. I'm impressed that Kitty made it home with only three falls, given all the ice on those hills. w&w

Fair enough; I was Phoenix, AZ for that one. I have slid down on occasion as well, so there are definitely some circumstances where it doesn't matter what you do. I am glad when she and you and others report falling but not being hurt. That's the most important thing.

CPTJohnC
01-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Sigh, and I love baked goods, but it would probably be stale (or just crumbs) by the time it got here via diplomatic pouch anyway. :(

I tell you what: When you return to DC, I'll consider whipping up a batch of something sweet and delicious just for you... I certainly have no concerns about your freezing saddle bona fides.

CPTJohnC
01-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Woohoo! I may be a Pointless Prize winner! All I need to do is show up for final HH. Not such a hard task unless someone books it in the hinterlands of Muralun.

Note -- I added one more caveat to the prize, in the form of 'additional major snow events' in case that happens. But I'm happy to help ensure that many people benefit from PP generosity.

dkel
01-26-2016, 08:40 PM

—And to brag. ;)

Kitty
01-26-2016, 11:07 PM

Fair enough; I was Phoenix, AZ for that one. I have slid down on occasion as well, so there are definitely some circumstances where it doesn't matter what you do. I am glad when she and you and others report falling but not being hurt. That's the most important thing.

Thanks for backing me up W&W it was nuts! The first bit in the falling snow on the MVT was fine, but since visibility was getting bad I made the stupid mistake to bail as Crystal City and make my way back to North Arlington via the city streets (Columbia Pike to S Courthouse Rd etc.) It was about 14 miles in trying to climb one little block on Pershing that I went down when the car in front hit the breaks and squeezed the shoulder. From there Clarendon blvd. was an ice rink to the extent the police blocked traffic at the top of the hill at N Courthouse with flares and forced traffic around due to the number of accidents below. Mistake number two was opting to chance it... at least I said "weee" as me and my bike slid sideways along the pavement. By then the roads were so slick you couldn't actually get your footing when attempting to stand and right the bike!

Fortunately, as Steve-O put it, it was a matter of bruised and not broken. I came into the apartment shaken and tearing up and my husband was worried I'd hurt myself, while I was worried I hurt my bike! He reasoned if I was crying about my bike I was okay. Now nearly a week later I've got some wicked bruises, but my bike got a check-up at the shop today and was deemed safe to ride, so all good!~

That said, if you could point me to where your pointers are, I'll look 'em up! :p

vvill
01-27-2016, 11:41 AM
By then the roads were so slick you couldn't actually get your footing when attempting to stand and right the bike!

Yeah, I wouldn't try riding in a situation like this if you do not have studded tires, in fact I'd probably want studs on my shoes. FS is not worth injuring yourself over, hope you heal up quick!

dcv
01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks for backing me up W&W it was nuts!

Kitty I fell 3 times on ice and snow this past week, so you're not alone.

vvill
01-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Here is the current list as far as I can tell. Please let me know if there are any corrections.

Undefined prize TBA:
vvill

Ok, I've announced mine now. It might be more of a sidebet (what's the difference?).
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9849-vvill-s-N-1-Pointless-Prize

Mikey
01-27-2016, 01:29 PM
Ok, I've announced mine now. It might be more of a sidebet (what's the difference?).
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9849-vvill-s-N-1-Pointless-Prize
A pointless prize is a specific amplifier to riding usually occurring over the entire contest period, and open to anyone (usually individuals, not teams).
A side bet is short-term (set start and end) for teams, or individuals acting as one team to promote additional riding. Usually riding to a specific point, photographing a specific item, etc. People may win pointless prizes without even trying, but a side bet requires a positive action to claim that the prize has been won.
Maybe? This would be a pointless prize although It could also be a side bet if the challenge were put up to teams to provide most bikes during a specific ride period.

consularrider
01-31-2016, 07:30 AM
I was out on the Pugsley riding almost exclusively on ice covered forest roads today. Studded tires are da bomb, but still managed to go down at least three times due to the tire ruts.

wheels&wings
01-31-2016, 09:23 AM
.... at least three times....

Be sure to keep track of the precise number of falls during Freezing Saddles! You may be in the running for the London Bridge prize. :) S/he who topples the most will be the luckiest one. Sort of!

Be safe, everyone.

KWL
01-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't try riding in a situation like this if you do not have studded tires, in fact I'd probably want studs on my shoes. FS is not worth injuring yourself over, hope you heal up quick!Yes. Have you ever come to a stop on ice while riding studded tires and put your foot down thinking your shoe will have as much traction as your bike? No, I've never done that either.

consularrider
01-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Yes. Have you ever come to a stop on ice while riding studded tires and put your foot down thinking your shoe will have as much traction as your bike? No, I've never done that either.

You mean like today?

Steve O
01-31-2016, 09:07 PM
Here's the updated list of Side Bets and Pointless prizes as of 1/31. (please send corrections)
Note that several of these are ongoing: Heads Up!, Beerneuring, Bicycle tag, vvill's N+1, Bruno's Ludicrous Coffee Challenge...
So if you are looking for an excuse to go for a bike ride, just look below; Plenty of fun stuff going on.

Side bets:

Heads Up! (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9768-FSSB%2816%29-I-round-2-HeadsUp) – Mikey (up for grabs)
Beerneuring (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring) – sjclaeys (ongoing)
Bicycle Tag (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8372-DC-Bike-Forum-Bicycle-Tag-%28-bikeforumbicycletag%29) – Steve O (ongoing)
First 10 people to do 5 HP laps – kwarkentien (completed)
Blizzard 3-day riders (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=133281#post133281) – CPTJohnC (completed)
Blizzard Pointless Prize (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=132869#post132869) (1/23 most miles) – vern (completed)
“you call that a snow day (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9843-It-s-official!-The-quot-Michigander-You-call-that-a-snow-day-Pointless-Prize-quot-is-ON!)” – kitty
Finders Keepers (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9732-FSSB%2816%29-1-Finders-Keepers-Round-1-%28NAME-TO-BE-ANNOUNCED%29) – Mikey (completed)
Golden Ingot – vicegrip (awarded at opening HH)
Rookie golden nugget – ewilliams0305 (awarded at opening HH)

Pointless Prizes 2016

Ride titles (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8368-quot-Official-quot-BAFS15-Happy-Hour-Thread&p=112592#post112592) – Steve O (ongoing)
Brünø's Big Bad Coffee Challenge (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9719-Br%FCn%F8-s-Big-Bad-Coffee-Challenge-Pointless-Prize-%28-3%29) - Bruno Moore (ongoing)
N+1 (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9849-vvill-s-N-1-Pointless-Prize) – vvill (ongoing)
Instagram (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9874-BAFS2016-Instagram-Contest-(brought-to-you-by-americancyclo-and-subby))– Subby & americancyclo (ongoing)
Visit the most States in one ride (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=132426#post132426) – Raymo853
Visit the most DC bike shops in a ride (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=132426#post132426) – Raymo 853
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird – Sunyata
Last place team or tortoise award – lordofthemark
London Bridge (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9868-W-amp-W-London-Bridge-Pointless-Prize-Log) – wheels&wings
Artisanally handcrafted hipster prizes from PDX – kelonwheels
Lowest variance (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=133281#post133281) (mr. & ms. Consistency) – CPTJohnC
Consular rider’s departure date/time (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7864-Freezing-Saddles-2015-At-Least-Yer-Not-in-Kiev-Comrade&p=119328&highlight=predict#post119328) - Steve O (won by Dickie)
Elf photo caption contest (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9306-BAFS-2016-Pointless-Prize-2) – Steve O (won by wheels&wings)

Undefined prize
komorebi
Alcova Cyclist
Eminva
A really really totally pointless prize – Dickie

Rod Smith
02-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Did I offer a prize for this last year? Whoever won it, congrats! Sorry I couldn't make the Freezing Saddles Finale Happy Hour Celebration. I was out of town. PM me your E number from FS15 if you think you were in contention. I will give you a prize.

I'm offering a Eddington number prize again this year and will try to actually award one this time. :p

What the heck is an Eddington number? The number of days you rode that same number of miles or more. Kinda fun because it gets increasingly harder to increase the number. Say you've ridden 25 miles or more 25 days this year. Awesome, your E number is 25! To improve your number to 26, the days you rode exactly 25 miles will not count. And days you rode 26 miles will not count towards an Eddington number of 27...

https://swinny.net/Strava/-4691-My-Strava-Eddington-Number

jwetzel
02-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Did I offer a prize for this last year? Whoever won it, congrats! Sorry I couldn't make the Freezing Saddles Finale Happy Hour Celebration. I was out of town. PM me your E number from FS15 if you think you were in contention. I will give you a prize.

I'm offering a Eddington number prize again this year and will try to actually award one this time. :p

What the heck is an Eddington number? The number of days you rode that same number of miles or more. Kinda fun because it gets increasingly harder to increase the number. Say you've ridden 25 miles or more 25 days this year. Awesome, your E number is 25! To improve your number to 26, the days you rode exactly 25 miles will not count. And days you rode 26 miles will not count towards an Eddington number of 27...

https://swinny.net/Strava/-4691-My-Strava-Eddington-Number

This one should be fun!

I'm at 19 for 2016 thus far.

ShawnoftheDread
02-02-2016, 02:09 PM
It says my number is 42, which doesn't make sense on Feb. 2.

Never mind. 19 for the year, 42 all time.

Sunyata
02-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Hmm. Mine is 15 for the year.

38 all time. Interesting.

vvill
02-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Mine is 11, 62 all time. Historically over my Strava years it's been 34-42, decreasing monotonically...

Subby
02-02-2016, 03:39 PM
28 for the year, 50 all-time.

americancyclo
02-02-2016, 04:09 PM
7 YTD, 42 all time.

Dickie
02-02-2016, 05:04 PM
11 YTD, 39 all time

Amalitza
02-02-2016, 05:29 PM
12 for the year. sounds right.
41 for all time. Seems high. I'd have guessed low 30s.

Steve O
02-02-2016, 06:04 PM
"All time" excludes all my rides between 1978 and late 2012, so it might be a bit higher if those were included.
I'm 12 on the year and close enough to 40 "all time" to make it this year.

According to that page, I rode 330 days last year, which is likely a lifetime high, even including all those previous years.

Also, I wish I had known about this site earlier. I spent a good hour or more a few weeks ago figuring out my 2015 E number.

WAIT! My new all-time number is 54. Woo-hoo!

(just click on the "switch to metric" button)

Rod Smith
02-02-2016, 07:29 PM
Say you've ridden 25 miles or more 25 days this year. Awesome, your E number is 25! To improve your number to 26, the days you rode exactly 25 miles will not count...[/url]

This exact thing happened today. I'm kinda angry. There's been some mistake! I rode more than 26 miles today! Then I remembered the sinister nature of this number. Rides of 25 miles will not count towards an E number of 26 and today's ride of 29 miles will not count towards an E number of 30.

Rod Smith
02-02-2016, 07:41 PM
It says my number is 42, which doesn't make sense on Feb. 2.

Never mind. 19 for the year, 42 all time.

How many hundreds of times have you ridden your 33 mile roundtrip commute and no further? None of those days counted towards the 42 number.

Vicegrip
02-02-2016, 08:03 PM
56 is my all time number, need one more 57 mile ride to bump to 57. 5 more to hit 58. 21 is the ytd number. Interesting stat.

hozn
02-02-2016, 08:17 PM
We also have a table for this (could probably expose a chart) in the database -- for just the rides during competition period, obviously. (I think Rod requested this last year for his prize?)

My all-time is 63, which appears to have remained the same for past couple years. 20 for the year. Apparently I'm not doing so many long rides. I blame the kids! :-)

msalemme
02-02-2016, 08:20 PM
My Ride Eddington Number is 40. It's only 8 for this year. Clearly I need to ride more!

Rod Smith
02-02-2016, 08:34 PM
We also have a table for this (could probably expose a chart) in the database -- for just the rides during competition period, obviously. (I think Rod requested this last year for his prize?)

My all-time is 63, which appears to have remained the same for past couple years. 20 for the year. Apparently I'm not doing so many long rides. I blame the kids! :-)

Yes if you could add to the "Individual (Various)", if it's not too much trouble. There seems to be interest. Otherwise you can just tell me who won at the end. Or put it in "Pointless (metrics-based prizes not defined yet)"?

vern
02-02-2016, 10:00 PM
15 and 42, but 8 more days at 44 or more and that becomes my current number.

Steve O
02-02-2016, 10:28 PM
nickbull has done a double metric every month for something like 9-10 years. In randonneuring circles, doing 12 consecutive months is called an R-12 (http://www.rusa.org/award_r12.html).
He just completed his 120th getting a super cool award. Crazy hard with 10 winters variables are crazy.

Just to keep us all humble, nickbull's number is north of 120

Rod Smith
02-03-2016, 07:03 AM
Strava or it didn't happen, Nick! :rolleyes:

NickBull
02-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Strava or it didn't happen, Nick! :rolleyes:

Hah, Steve O bumped into me on the Custis on the way home and told me about this, so I had to go compute my Eddington number. For this year, it's 15 (in miles). Lifetime, it's 125. I'm not on Strava, but these are "official" RUSA events, you can search for me on here:
http://rusa.org/cgi-bin/resultsearch_PF.pl

I've ridden 238 RUSA events of 100km or longer, totalling 57,372 kms since 2005. Steve O mentioned the R-12 award for riding 12 months in a row of 200km or longer "official" events. In January, I became the first person east of the Mississippi to have ridden 120 straight months of R-12 events; there are half a dozen randonneurs west of the Mississippi who have ridden ten R-12's though I don't know if all of them are sequential.

But ... of course there's always someone who's "a little" better.

One of the RUSA members has ridden 1042 events of 100km or longer, totalling 247,501 kms. His Eddington number is 190. Of course, he's one of the six west of the Mississippi and by now he probably has 132 consecutive events as far as I can tell, though there are so many it's pretty hard to keep track!

In km, his Eddington number is 289 and mine is 194.

If you want to find people with high Eddington numbers, look on the RUSA site for "Awards" and then the "Galaxy" award (at least 100,000km's). All those people have high Eddington numbers!

Edited to add: And if you want a really high Eddington number, measure it in meters. My round-trip commute is around 32,000 meters so the real constraint is how many times I've ridden it, maybe around 2000 times over the last couple of decades.

Nick

Rod Smith
02-07-2016, 10:07 AM
Awesome, Nick! Nice meeting you yesterday. Are you sure that guy rode over 190 miles 190 times? Brevets of 200, 300K don't count towards that E number except for 300s that exceed the minimum distance by four miles...

vvill
02-07-2016, 11:58 AM
I imagine Kurt Searvogel's number is north of 200, although I guess it depends on how you count a ride day, especially since he would also change bikes (to a recumbent).

The impressive thing about a R-12 is that it's also RUSA/ACP sanctioned rides/routes. So you can't just do loops around HP and go up the W&OD to get your 200k.

NickBull
02-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Awesome, Nick! Nice meeting you yesterday. Are you sure that guy rode over 190 miles 190 times? Brevets of 200, 300K don't count towards that E number except for 300s that exceed the minimum distance by four miles...

Hi, Rod,

Well, I'm not "firing squad certain" but I am pretty sure. Go to the RUSA site and search Results for #2565. I just pasted the results into Excel, changed the format to unmerge cells, sorted on distance (descending) and then made a "counting" column and a "miles" column. You just scan down the counting column looking for the last point at which the count is still less than the miles. All the events above that are the same or longer distance. I think that works!

Good to meet you, too,

Nick

NickBull
02-07-2016, 06:12 PM
I imagine Kurt Searvogel's number is north of 200, although I guess it depends on how you count a ride day, especially since he would also change bikes (to a recumbent).

The impressive thing about a R-12 is that it's also RUSA/ACP sanctioned rides/routes. So you can't just do loops around HP and go up the W&OD to get your 200k.

Well, although a typical RUSA route is a lot hillier than Haines Point, I really can't imagine anything much more brutally boring than riding around HP 39 times to get your 200km done! Part of what makes a tough ride "easy" (OK, "easier") is that the scenery is so pretty it helps the miles disappear. And if you've got friends to ride with and chat with, you don't notice the miles go by.

vvill
02-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Well, although a typical RUSA route is a lot hillier than Haines Point, I really can't imagine anything much more brutally boring than riding around HP 39 times to get your 200km done! Part of what makes a tough ride "easy" (OK, "easier") is that the scenery is so pretty it helps the miles disappear. And if you've got friends to ride with and chat with, you don't notice the miles go by.

True, but a set route subjects you to whatever conditions are on that route (hills, wind, precip, traffic, etc.) and you have to navigate as well. With easy trail riding you can just zone out, relatively speaking. I've only ever done 200k once and it was mostly a W&OD type of thing, and I didn't really notice the miles. Company definitely helps though in any case!

ewilliams0305
02-08-2016, 10:06 AM
I only need 83 more 200k's to get my E# to 200k done. I guess that means I did 43 last year. I will make this a goal by the end of 2017. :cool:

snugglefestival
02-23-2016, 10:15 AM
All right riders, the deadline is drawing near for my pointless interim prize for Strava Art. Come on... you can do it! Look at some Mondrian or Rothko pieces for inspiration that's executable on a GPS scale. Go to the thread: Pointless (Interim) Prize for Strava Art. Deadline is midnight on February 29.

Kitty
02-24-2016, 08:40 AM
I'll volunteer a prize for the person who rides in the most states, and another one for person who rides in the most countries.
I'm not sure what the prize will be (maybe some Adventure Cycling Swag?!), but it will arrive priority mail to one of the organizers of the ending happy hour.

p.s. data people, is there an easy way to do this? Let me know, and if not, I will painstakingly follow each and every contestant and check daily for their ride locations!!!

I was hoping there'd be an international one! I just got confirmation of a work trip in early March...

My first thought for tracking was the Strava maps, but I'm not sure if it tracks you if you don't have cell data where you're at?

Steve O
03-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Here's the updated list of Side Bets and Pointless prizes as of 3/2. (please send corrections)
Note that several of these are ongoing: , Beerneuring, Bicycle tag, vvill's N+1, Ray's N-1, Bruno's Ludicrous Coffee Challenge...
So if you are looking for an excuse to go for a bike ride, just look below; Plenty of fun stuff going on.

Side bets:

Beerneuring (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring) – sjclaeys (ongoing)
Bicycle Tag (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8372-DC-Bike-Forum-Bicycle-Tag-%28-bikeforumbicycletag%29) – Steve O (ongoing)
Brünø's Big Bad Coffee Challenge (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9719-Br%FCn%F8-s-Big-Bad-Coffee-Challenge-Pointless-Prize-%28-3%29) - Bruno Moore (ongoing)
Blizzard 3-day riders (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=133281#post133281) – CPTJohnC (completed)
Blizzard Pointless Prize (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=132869#post132869) (1/23 most miles) – vern (completed)
Finders Keepers (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9732-FSSB%2816%29-1-Finders-Keepers-Round-1-%28NAME-TO-BE-ANNOUNCED%29) – Mikey (completed)
Strava Art (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9927-Pointless-%28Interim%29-Prize-for-Strava-Art) - snugglefestival (completed; won by komorebi)
Heads Up! (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9768-FSSB%2816%29-I-round-2-HeadsUp) – Mikey (completed)

Pointless Prizes 2016

Ride titles (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8368-quot-Official-quot-BAFS15-Happy-Hour-Thread&p=112592#post112592) – Steve O (ongoing)
N+1 (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9849-vvill-s-N-1-Pointless-Prize) – vvill (ongoing)
Ray's late, and poorly thought out, Pointless Prize. N-1 (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10046-Ray-s-late-and-poorly-thought-out-Pointless-Prize-N-1) - Raymo0305 (ongoing)
Instagram (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9874-BAFS2016-Instagram-Contest-(brought-to-you-by-americancyclo-and-subby))– Subby & americancyclo (ongoing)
Eddington Number (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=133939&highlight=eddington#post133939) - Rod Smith
Suburban Labyrinth (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10020-Pointless-Prize-somethingorother-the-Suburban-Labyrinth) - Amalitza (ongoing)
Visit the most States in one ride (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=132426#post132426) – Raymo853
Visit the most DC bike shops in a ride (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=132426#post132426) – Raymo 853
Hottest Heatmap Pointless Prize – ewilliams0305
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird – Sunyata
London Bridge (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9868-W-amp-W-London-Bridge-Pointless-Prize-Log) – wheels&wings
Lowest variance (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=133281#post133281) (mr. & ms. Consistency) – CPTJohnC
Consular rider’s departure date/time (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7864-Freezing-Saddles-2015-At-Least-Yer-Not-in-Kiev-Comrade&p=119328&highlight=predict#post119328) - Steve O (won by Dickie)
Elf photo caption contest (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9306-BAFS-2016-Pointless-Prize-2) – Steve O (won by wheels&wings)

wheels&wings
03-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Great list! I have more prizes to give out besides the London Bridge prize and the Drug prize. For now, please put me down for the Desperate Escape (from Housework) prize and the Crescent prize. Thanks! w&w

Amalitza
03-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Here's the updated list of Side Bets and Pointless prizes as of 3/2. (please send corrections)

HEY!
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10020-Pointless-Prize-somethingorother-the-Suburban-Labyrinth

Steve O
03-03-2016, 09:18 PM
HEY!
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10020-Pointless-Prize-somethingorother-the-Suburban-Labyrinth

fixed. sorry.

komorebi
03-03-2016, 10:30 PM
I'll award the same pointless prize that I did last year -- a prize for the team with the most even distribution of points. Call it the "pulling together" prize.

The actual prize will involve baked goods of some kind. Possibly these:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1570/25461512206_220d542ca6.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EMWUvL)

Steve O
03-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Hey elw - I doubt I will win this one, but I want to put in my entry for rides in most states (or is this something the data gurus can run automagically?):

I have:
Virginia
Maryland
DC
Colorado
California

for 5

shardg
03-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Hey elw - I doubt I will win this one, but I want to put in my entry for rides in most states (or is this something the data gurus can run automagically?):

I have:
Virginia
Maryland
DC
Colorado
California

for 5

I think it is a Steve thing, I have the same States as well.

jrenaut
03-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Hey elw - I doubt I will win this one, but I want to put in my entry for rides in most states (or is this something the data gurus can run automagically?)

This is the sort of thing that is difficult to program - I suspect you'd have to go through each point in your Strava track and check what state it was in. It is probably more work to code than to check everyone's manually.

americancyclo
03-16-2016, 10:02 AM
not sure if I made public my Pointless Prize.

All Work and No Play.
Highest Percentage of total rides that are commutes
awarded by data from Strava with rides tagged as 'commute'

put me later in the awards, i probably won't be there for the beginning of the final HH.

dbb
03-16-2016, 04:04 PM
All Work and No Play.

I might have a shot at this one.

DCAKen
03-17-2016, 11:02 AM

All Work and No Play.

put me later in the awards, i probably won't be there for the beginning of the final HH.

What's nice about this PP is it will encourage riders to use the Commute tag.

accordioneur
03-17-2016, 04:35 PM

I have:
Virginia
Maryland
DC
Colorado
California

for 5

Five. That's very impressive. I have the following nine: Virginia, Maryland, DC, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Mississippi.

Steve O
03-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Here's the list of Side Bets and Pointless Prizes as of Easter Sunday
At this point we don't have any prizes for the winning teams:

Winning Team (http://freezingsaddles.com/leaderboard/team_text) (points)
Winning Team (http://freezingsaddles.com/pointless/alt_scoring/team_riders) (days ridden)

Side bets 2016:

Beerneuring (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring) – sjclaeys
Brünø's Big Bad Coffee Challenge (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9719-Br%FCn%F8-s-Big-Bad-Coffee-Challenge-Pointless-Prize-%28-3%29) - Bruno Moore
Instagram (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9874-BAFS2016-Instagram-Contest-%28brought-to-you-by-americancyclo-and-subby%29)– Subby & americancyclo
Ride titles (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8368-quot-Official-quot-BAFS15-Happy-Hour-Thread&p=112592#post112592) – Steve O
Bicycle Tag (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8372-DC-Bike-Forum-Bicycle-Tag-%28-bikeforumbicycletag%29) – Steve O (ongoing year round)
Neon Green Band poetry (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9685-Freezing-Saddles-Reflective-Neon-Green-Bands-Get-em-while-they-re-hot&p=137555#post137555) - Steve O
First 10 people to do 5 HP laps – kwarkentien
Blizzard 3-day riders (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=133281#post133281) – CPTJohnC
Blizzard Pointless Prize (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=132869#post132869) (1/23 most miles) – vern
Finders Keepers (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9732-FSSB%2816%29-1-Finders-Keepers-Round-1-%28NAME-TO-BE-ANNOUNCED%29) – Mikey
Heads Up! (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9768-FSSB%2816%29-I-round-2-HeadsUp) – Mikey
Suburban Labyrinth (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10020-Pointless-Prize-somethingorother-the-Suburban-Labyrinth) - Amalitza
N+1 (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9849-vvill-s-N-1-Pointless-Prize) – vvill
Ray's late, and poorly thought out, Pointless Prize. N-1 (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10046-Ray-s-late-and-poorly-thought-out-Pointless-Prize-N-1) - Raymo0305

Already awarded
Strava Art (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9927-Pointless-%28Interim%29-Prize-for-Strava-Art) - snugglefestival (won by komorebi)

Pointless Prizes 2016
Perfect Attendance (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10109-GET-EXCITED-Announcing-The-Perfect-Attendance-Award-Prizes%21) - BikeArlington
Male rider with most points - Rockford10
Female rider with most points - Rockford10
Eddington Number (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=133939&highlight=eddington#post133939) - Rod Smith
Janetzko Prize (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10100-Late-Addition-The-Janetzko-Prize) - Rob_O
Hottest Heatmap (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10057-Hottest-Heatmap-Pointless-Prize) – ewilliams0305
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird – Sunyata
All Work and No Play - americancyclo
Last place team – lordofthemark
Tortoise award – lordofthemark
Pulling together - Komorebi
Desperate Escape [from Housework] Prize - wheels&wings
Crescent Prize - wheels&wings
Just-in-case Prize - wheels&wings

Raymo853
03-18-2016, 09:02 AM
I think it is a Steve thing, I have the same States as well.

The most state prize is one I am managing. I plan to post something on it later today. One thing, it is not the most states ridden during the contest, but in a single ride. Pretty sure you did not make it to CA and CO on a single ride. I am pretty sure no one is beating Eric's 5 with DC, MD, VA, WV and PA ride on Jan 1.

lordofthemark
03-18-2016, 09:24 AM
My plan is to award both the last place team and the tortoise prize (what is one more piece of Elite chocolate, after all?)

americancyclo
03-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Here's the list of Side Bets and Pointless Prizes as of St. Patrick's Day
At this point we don't have any prizes for the more standard competitions:

Winning Team (points per days & miles)
Winning Team (days ridden)
Male rider with most points
Female rider with most points

Side bets:

Beerneuring (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9709-FSSB-3-Beerneuring) – sjclaeys
Bicycle Tag (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8372-DC-Bike-Forum-Bicycle-Tag-%28-bikeforumbicycletag%29) – Steve O (continues after Freezing Saddles ends)
Brünø's Big Bad Coffee Challenge (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9719-Br%FCn%F8-s-Big-Bad-Coffee-Challenge-Pointless-Prize-%28-3%29) - Bruno Moore
Strava Art (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9927-Pointless-%28Interim%29-Prize-for-Strava-Art) - snugglefestival (completed; won by komorebi)
Heads Up! (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9768-FSSB%2816%29-I-round-2-HeadsUp) – Mikey (completed)

Pointless Prizes 2016

Perfect Attendance (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10109-GET-EXCITED-Announcing-The-Perfect-Attendance-Award-Prizes%21) - BikeArlington
Instagram (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9874-BAFS2016-Instagram-Contest-%28brought-to-you-by-americancyclo-and-subby%29)– Subby & americancyclo
Ride titles (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?8368-quot-Official-quot-BAFS15-Happy-Hour-Thread&p=112592#post112592) – Steve O
N+1 (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9849-vvill-s-N-1-Pointless-Prize) – vvill
Ray's late, and poorly thought out, Pointless Prize. N-1 (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10046-Ray-s-late-and-poorly-thought-out-Pointless-Prize-N-1) - Raymo0305
Suburban Labyrinth (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10020-Pointless-Prize-somethingorother-the-Suburban-Labyrinth) - Amalitza
Hottest Heatmap (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10057-Hottest-Heatmap-Pointless-Prize) – ewilliams0305
#kidical – dasgeh
Early Bird – Sunyata
All Work and No Play - americancyclo
Pulling together - Komorebi
Desperate Escape [from Housework] Prize - wheels&wings
Crescent Prize - wheels&wings
Just-in-case Prize - wheels&wings

you forgot The Janetzko Prize - Rob_O
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10100-Late-Addition-The-Janetzko-Prize

Steve O
03-18-2016, 09:50 AM
The most state prize is one I am managing. I plan to post something on it later today. One thing, it is not the most states ridden during the contest, but in a single ride. Pretty sure you did not make it to CA and CO on a single ride. I am pretty sure no one is beating Eric's 5 with DC, MD, VA, WV and PA ride on Jan 1.

There are two prizes: yours for a single ride, and elwbikes's for Rides in Most States for the entire FS. Also Rides in Most Countries.

Raymo853
03-18-2016, 12:58 PM
The Loose Rules on my challanges:

#1 Most states:
In a single day of continuous riding, ride in the most states possible. Must include either VA, MD or DC. (DC does count as a state) No shuttling or multimodal allowed. (so no riding through DC, VA, MD and then taking the train to PA)

Bonus Points for tie breaking: starting and ending in the same state, shortest distance, 2x for including another country (embassy grounds do not count)

Prize: Some found/made prize and bottle of rye whiskey. Alternative to the rye is a $50 donation in your name to what ever bike charity you want

#2 Most Bike shops:

I may want to change this to something else, the most Food for All Dc Deliveries (http://www.foodforalldc.org/wp/). But I need to check on something before doing that.

I did mutate the bike shop or charity work chal;lange into the give bike stuff away n-1 challenge:
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10046-Ray-s-late-and-poorly-thought-out-Pointless-Prize-N-1

DCAKen
03-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Five. That's very impressive. I have the following nine: Virginia, Maryland, DC, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Mississippi.

Also very impressive. I'm up to thirteen: Delaware (https://www.strava.com/activities/493359036), Maryland (https://www.strava.com/activities/516182901), DC (https://www.strava.com/activities/479943812), Virginia (https://www.strava.com/activities/498905145), Tennessee (https://www.strava.com/activities/470368885), Mississippi (https://www.strava.com/activities/470951916), Arkansas (https://www.strava.com/activities/471074149), Oklahoma (https://www.strava.com/activities/471491837), Texas (https://www.strava.com/activities/471740706), New Mexico (https://www.strava.com/activities/471835297), Colorado (https://www.strava.com/activities/473792396), California (https://www.strava.com/activities/513405824), and Hawaii (https://www.strava.com/activities/483265701).

Rockford10
03-19-2016, 08:53 AM
Here's the list of Side Bets and Pointless Prizes as of St. Patrick's Day
At this point we don't have any prizes for the more standard competitions:

Male rider with most points
Female rider with most points

I can provide prizes for the Male and Female riders with the most points.

hozn
03-22-2016, 12:36 PM
FYI - I have a huge spreadsheet (~4MB) with all of the rides and associated weather data as CSV. While it uses "display name" it probably would be better not to just post it up here, since it could include rides that folks had marked private (if they gave app permission to view private data). It does not include any geographic data. If you'd like the spreadsheet, feel free to email me and I'll send it to you (tonight; it's on my home laptop): hans [at] velum dot net

I hear about people manually combing the leaderboards to deduce things and it makes me cry a little, so I want to make sure those awarding prizes have access to the data they need for their prizes. For more complex stuff, I'm happy to help, though you may be on your own if it's not something we can easily do in SQL. (But in which case this spreadsheet might still help.)

CPTJohnC
03-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Never mind: I just e-mailed.

Steve O
03-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Attention Pointless Prize awarders

I have updated the list (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9628-Pointless-Prizes-2016&p=137003#post137003).

- If you are NOT going to be able to award your prize, let me know ASAP so that I can remove you from the program.
- If you have a prize that does not appear on the list, let me know ASAP, so that I can add it.

If your prize appears correctly and you are intending to award it at the HH, no need to contact me.

We have a very long list of prizes, so we will need to be efficient at getting them out. I will post an agenda/order of prizes sometime this week.

Thanks.

Amalitza
03-27-2016, 04:09 PM
komorebi very kindly picked up the labyrinth prize and will award it on my behalf.

Steve O
03-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Bruno is looking for someone to pick up his prizes and bring them to the HH (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10097-BAFS-2016-Freezing-Saddles-Closing-Happy-Hour&p=137533#post137533), in case you didn't see this in the other thread.

wheels&wings
03-28-2016, 06:55 PM
Hi Final-Happy-Hour-and-Pointless-Prize-Organizers. Huge thanks for setting things up.
We’ve been busy creating absurd prizes, and I can’t wait to give them out. I must admit, though, I’m a little nervous about the timing… I have six prizes to distribute – some to multiple winners – making for 30-something recipients. I hear that there are over 200 awardees total. If we have a 30-minute prize ceremony, there will be roughly 10 seconds to give out each prize. Yikes! I’m willing to talk fast, but I’m worried about the awkward shape of our venue… it may be tricky for winners to come forward quickly for their prizes.
I’m really bad at logistics, but I’m wondering if it would help to:
--have an m.c. to help keep us on track?
--bring poster boards with the names of awardees, so that people could come forward as we are speaking?
--have a prize table up front where folks could claim their prizes afterwards (good to affix the names)?
--have ceremonial elves whose job is to help distribute the prizes when names are called?
Other ideas?
Perhaps this is all worked out already. If so, that is awesome ‘cause it’s not my forte. Or perhaps we’ll just wing it…that is okay too.
I just want to make sure there will be enough time to give out my stash of prizes. :)
Thanks,
w&w

lordofthemark
03-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Yes to MC, and to elves. Awards to teams should go to a team rep (captain or not) who will distribute them.

Steve O
03-28-2016, 09:42 PM
In order to smooth the presentation of Pointless Prizes and help deal with the issues w&w highlighted, we are going to separate the announcements of Pointless Prizes from the distribution. With the number of prizes to be presented, we will need to act with celerity and efficiency to get done in under 40 minutes.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
We will need volunteers to staff prize distribution. Several will be better than one, so you can work shifts. At least one of you needs to be there early to find a place to hold the prizes, collect them and be able to distribute them. This is a job for people who are not awarding a prize. Respond to this thread if you can help with this.

Attention award givers
If you are awarding a prize or prizes:
Bring your prize labeled with the name of the prize and the recipient, and give it to the prize distribution volunteers. It may help to put it in a bag, envelope or box or something.
As w&w suggested, if you'd like to make a poster or flyer with information about your prizes and winners to post on a wall (particularly if you have several winners), that might be good--particularly if there is interesting accompanying information like photos, captions, lists of states, Strava maps, etc.

I will bring flyers with the names of the "Perfect Attendance" winners and the "Missed One Day Only" players.

I will also bring "programs" with the list of prizes and awardees in the order of presentation. Be prepared to make your announcement immediately after the one prior.

If your prize is inseparable from your announcement (e.g., some sort of visual gag), you may show it during your announcement, but save the actual presentation for off-line.

ian74
03-29-2016, 03:18 PM
I'm volunteering for award distribution. I can be there around 4:30 or shortly after.

lordofthemark
03-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Oops. I got Elite chocolate bars AND Elite gum, figuring not everyone likes chocolate (or some have allergies) and that the folks on team 2 would settle who got which. Was not expecting to label 13 pieces of candy ( plus a,fourteenth for the tortoise prize). Can we just have one sign for team two, and one for the tortoise prize?

Steve O
03-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Oops. I got Elite chocolate bars AND Elite gum, figuring not everyone likes chocolate (or some have allergies) and that the folks on team 2 would settle who got which. Was not expecting to label 13 pieces of candy ( plus a,fourteenth for the tortoise prize). Can we just have one sign for team two, and one for the tortoise prize?

Leave the prizes themselves with Ian/prize table and announce them at the appropriate time. If you want the team members to sort them out for themselves, that's fine.

Kitty
03-30-2016, 08:43 AM
It just occurred to me that with some folks being unable to attend, some prizes may go unawarded! Should we try to reach out to our winner(s) in advance? Or is the plan that awardees take their prize home and try again later? (Newbie)

In any event, I'd be happy to help with the awarding in any way needed. (Prize distribution, standing on furniture to get people's attention etc.)

All Work and No Play.

I might have a shot at this! Most of my rides were commutes...

americancyclo
03-30-2016, 09:03 AM
It just occurred to me that with some folks being unable to attend, some prizes may go unawarded! Should we try to reach out to our winner(s) in advance? Or is the plan that awardees take their prize home and try again later? (Newbie)

In any event, I'd be happy to help with the awarding in any way needed. (Prize distribution, standing on furniture to get people's attention etc.)

I might have a shot at this! Most of my rides were commutes...

Rockford10 is graciously delivering (and presenting?) my pointless prize. If she doesn't want to present it, I'm guessing that falls to SteveO. I left some instructions with the prize so anyone should be able to present.

Also, if you think you have a shot, you can send me your display name or your strava athlete id and I'll let you know if you're in the running.

We had 10 folks with a greater than 80% commute rate, and eight folks with 100 commutes or more. Only one person was in both groups!

DismalScientist
03-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Is this on a % of rides or % of miles basis? If miles, it's mine.:rolleyes:

Brünø Moore
03-30-2016, 09:26 AM
Bruno is looking for someone to pick up his prizes and bring them to the HH (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10097-BAFS-2016-Freezing-Saddles-Closing-Happy-Hour&p=137533#post137533), in case you didn't see this in the other thread.

Thanks to Rod for picking these up!

americancyclo
03-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Is this on a % of rides or % of miles basis? If miles, it's mine.:rolleyes:
It's % of rides. and you're in 11th place.

Here's the top ten for % commute miles (not a prize)

Display Name
Non-commute miles
Commute miles
Grand Total
Percent

Mark W
96%

LeprosyStudyGroup *
94%

Eric We
93%

Richard S
91%

Peter K
90%

Dana B
90%

Ryan L
88%

Jason M
87%

Seth P
87%

paul g
86%

ian74
03-30-2016, 09:33 AM
It's % of rides. and you're in 11th place.

Here's the top ten for % commute miles (not a prize)

Display Name
Non-commute miles
Commute miles
Grand Total
Percent

Mark W
96%

LeprosyStudyGroup *
94%

Eric We
93%

Richard S
91%

Peter K
90%

Dana B
90%

Ryan L
88%

Jason M
87%

Seth P
87%

paul g
86%

Almost all my rides were commutes as well, I forgot to flag a lot of them as commutes in Strava, is it too late to go back and add the "commute" tag to my rides? Is that like sandbagging the prize at this point?

americancyclo
03-30-2016, 09:39 AM
Almost all my rides were commutes as well, I forgot to flag a lot of them as commutes in Strava, is it too late to go back and add the "commute" tag to my rides? Is that like sandbagging the prize at this point?
Yeah, too late. I already got the data from Hans. Next year! For fun, if you want to go back and count all yours, you can let me know and I'll tell you where you would have stacked up!

ShawnoftheDread
03-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Rockford10 is graciously delivering (and presenting?) my pointless prize.

Upgrade!

Boomer2U
03-30-2016, 09:37 PM
I volunteer to staff prize distribution and will try to arrive by 4:45pm.

americancyclo
03-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Upgrade!

Better than any of the Shawns that's for sure.

Steve O
03-31-2016, 10:32 AM
We will start the awards announcements 6:10-6:15.

Order of Pointless Prizes. Name shown is person conferring prize; name in parentheses is person announcing prize in the absence of the prize awarder.
Some prizes are not shown because the awarder either is not going to be there or will not be offering their prize for some reason.
No need to print this out; I will bring programs.

Perfect Attendance BikeArlington (Steve O)
Ride titles Steve O
Bicycle Tag (ongoing year round) Steve O
Neon Green Band poetry Steve O
#kidical dasgeh (Steve O)

Male rider with most points Rockford10
Female rider with most points Rockford10
The ride during the coldest recorded temperature of the contest creadinger
The longest ride on the day with the coldest high temperature creadinger
Longest, coldest ride ewilliams0305
Hottest Heatmap ewilliams0305
Most climbing (whole contest) ewilliams0305

Team Billy Goat glennpstevens
First 10 people to do 5 HP laps kwarkentien
Hains Point laps Arlingtonrider

Crunch Prize w&w
Crescent Prize w&w
Just-in-case Prize w&w
London Bridge Prize w&w
Desperate Escape [from Housework] Prize w&w
Drug Prize w&w

Blizzard 3-day riders CPTJohnC
Lowest variance (mr. & ms. Consistency) CPTJohnC
“you call that a snow day” kitty
Rides in most states elwbikes
Rides in most countries elwbikes

Instagram Subby & americancyclo

Last place team lordofthemark
Tortoise award lordofthemark
Pulling together Komorebi
Suburban Labyrinth Amalitza (Komorebi)

Eddington Number Rod Smith
Brünø's Big Bad Coffee Challenge Bruno Moore (Rod Smith)

N+1 vvill
Janetzko Prize Rob_O
Early Bird Sunyata
Flat Lander (?) Sunyata

Average daily mileage closest to pi Chris_s
All Work and No Play americancyclo

americancyclo
03-31-2016, 11:05 AM
All Work and No Play americancyclo
not gonna be there. but the prize will be! also, I'd like the winner to pass this on next year!

Rockford10
03-31-2016, 11:29 AM
not gonna be there. but the prize will be! also, I'd like the winner to pass this on next year!

Steve - I've got this prize and can hand it out. I won't be early, but should be there for my early prizes.

Sunyata
03-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Early Bird Sunyata
Flat Lander (?) Sunyata

I will be there with prizes... Unless of course, I get blown away by this ridiculous wind.

In case anyone cares, the Flat Lander prize was calculated by determining how many average feet per mile was climbed over the entire competition. In order to be eligible, you would have had to have less than 20 manual ride entries and have at least 40% of the average miles ridden (369 miles) over the entire BAFS.

The winner has RSVP'ed, so s/he will be on the receiving end of an awesome pointless prize!

chris_s
03-31-2016, 01:58 PM
Average daily mileage closest to pi Chris_s

I wasn't able to get my prize together unfortunately, so I'm going to have to bow out.

Sunyata
03-31-2016, 02:45 PM
I wasn't able to get my prize together unfortunately, so I'm going to have to bow out.

Just meet up with Sol and grab some pie! :-P

CPTJohnC
03-31-2016, 03:09 PM
Reposted from the Happy Hour Thread:

All -- a last minute work conflict means that I will NOT be present for happy hour after all (despite my early planning and best efforts). this means that I will not be able to get my side bet/pointless prize treats to the respective winners. I'm not even in a position to disclose the identities of the winners because my lists are in one place and I am in another. I very much regret this turn of events.

Steve O
04-01-2016, 08:58 AM
Here's the certificate for QOT, awarded last night.
If you didn't keep up with her dozens of entertaining titles, you can read them for yourself (https://www.strava.com/athletes/7244810#interval?interval=201601&interval_type=month&chart_type=miles&year_offset=0).

Honorable mentions are among the photos Boomer posted (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?10097-BAFS-2016-Freezing-Saddles-Closing-Happy-Hour&p=137818#post137818) on the happy hour thread.

Greenbelt
04-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Clif Bar Introduces New Savory Clif Loaf (http://www.theonion.com/graphic/clif-bar-introduces-new-savory-clif-loaf-52671)

This would have made a good pointless prize, if only I'd had the foresight to bring one

http://i.onionstatic.com/onion/5309/1/original/1600.jpg

Steve O
04-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Clif Bar Introduces New Savory Clif Loaf (http://www.theonion.com/graphic/clif-bar-introduces-new-savory-clif-loaf-52671)

What is that? And does it come in the package?