PDA

View Full Version : What tool do I need (cassette and chainring and chain removal)?

Subby
11-09-2015, 02:12 PM
I want to remove the cassette and chain ring and chain and clean them really well (and evaluate for replacement). What specific tools do I need? Thanks!

DismalScientist
11-09-2015, 02:21 PM
A chain tool for "breaking" the chain
A cassette tool (potentially called a freewheel tool) for removing the cassette from the hub. You will also need a wrench (25mm?) to turn the cassette tool and a chain whip to hold the cassette in place while turning the tool.
A crank tool to extract the crank arms from the bottom bracket (and you might need a wrench for that tool as well). I don't know how these newfangled cranks work--it doesn't look like square-tapered, as God intended cranks to be.
You will lastly need the appropriate hex key (allen wrench) to remove the chain rings from the crank arm.

jabberwocky
11-09-2015, 02:23 PM
To remove cassette: chainwhip, cassette lockring tool, adjustable wrench (to grip lockring tool)
To remove chainrings: usually just two metric allen wrenches. Sometimes the backside of the chainring bolts use a big flathead (there is a special tool for them but a large flathead screwdriver usually works fine too). Assuming you aren't actually removing the crankset, which you shouldn't need to just for chainring cleaning.
Chain: nothing if theres a quicklink, chainbreaker if there isn't (and a quicklink to put it back on).

Tania
11-09-2015, 02:25 PM
I have a chain whip, cassette thingy and socket wrench to fit it, all of which I can bring to Kindred tomorrow.

Subby
11-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks all - I have a chain whip from messing around with my fixed gear bike but I wasn't sure what kind of cassette lockring tool I needed. Seems like a bunch of different choices. I have an SRAM cassette - so I will figure it out.

jabberwocky
11-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks all - I have a chain whip from messing around with my fixed gear bike but I wasn't sure what kind of cassette lockring tool I needed. Seems like a bunch of different choices. I have an SRAM cassette - so I will figure it out.

Unless you have something really old or exotic (which it does not appear you do), a bog standard tool like the Park FR5 should do it.
http://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-fr-5

TwoWheelsDC
11-09-2015, 02:56 PM
I have a chain whip, cassette thingy and socket wrench to fit it, all of which I can bring to Kindred tomorrow.

I also have all the necessary tools if you two can't make this work.

I want to remove the cassette and chain ring and chain and clean them really well (and evaluate for replacement). What specific tools do I need? Thanks!

I can't tell exactly what type of BB that is, but you might as well clean and re-lube it while you've got everything taken apart. I have tools for a GXP BB, which I think will fit, since I'm assuming it's a Megaexo or whatever external bearing system FSA uses.

Subby
11-09-2015, 03:25 PM
I can't tell exactly what type of BB that is, but you might as well clean and re-lube it while you've got everything taken apart. I have tools for a GXP BB, which I think will fit, since I'm assuming it's a Megaexo or whatever external bearing system FSA uses.
Is this what the BB tool looks like?

http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-9

jrenaut
11-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Does the chain whip have to be the same size as your chain? Just wondering if you might have a 1/8 chain whip and a smaller chain on your geared bike and not sure how compatible they are.

Vicegrip
11-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Got all the tools and stuff required to tear down, clean, inspect, and reassemble in a clean dry place to work if you want to stop in. In the shop most evenings anyway. Right around the corner from you.

Jebezus warn me next time. I just looked at the images of your cassett and RD without squinting and peeking through fingers over my eyes. :eek: We can tear the drive train down and give it a bath in the heated ultrasonic cleaner while cleansing a couple of bike motors with a beer based solvent flush.

TwoWheelsDC
11-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Is this what the BB tool looks like?

http://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-9

Yep...although mine is the socket-style that can attach to a torque wrench.

vvill
11-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Does the chain whip have to be the same size as your chain? Just wondering if you might have a 1/8 chain whip and a smaller chain on your geared bike and not sure how compatible they are.

I think if you have a 3/32 chain whip you will have trouble getting a 1/8 cog off a wheel, for example. The other way round would be okay I imagine.

baiskeli
11-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Two observations:

The real problem is putting it all back together.

"Chain whip" is the kinkiest-sounding tool ever.

jrenaut
11-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Sheldon Brown really should have a guide to turning on Google Safe Search before looking up chain whips.

TwoWheelsDC
11-09-2015, 06:36 PM
I think if you have a 3/32 chain whip you will have trouble getting a 1/8 cog off a wheel, for example.

You are correct...it's possible if your cog isn't on too tight, but it's a pain in the ass.

dkel
11-09-2015, 07:19 PM
I think if you have a 3/32 chain whip you will have trouble getting a 1/8 cog off a wheel, for example. The other way round would be okay I imagine.

The other way round works fine (done it myself).

dkel
11-09-2015, 07:22 PM
I just looked at the images of your cassett and RD without squinting and peeking through fingers over my eyes. :eek: We can tear the drive train down and give it a bath in the heated ultrasonic cleaner while cleansing a couple of bike motors with a beer based solvent flush.

Not getting invited to this party must be the unanticipated downside to keeping my drivetrain sparkling clean. :( :rolleyes:

vvill
11-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Not getting invited to this party must be the unanticipated downside to keeping my drivetrain sparkling clean. :( :rolleyes:

You can't use a chain whip on a belt drive sprocket anyway. ;)

dkel
11-10-2015, 07:57 AM

There is a belt whip tool that does the same job! (I don't have one, though.)

Vicegrip
11-10-2015, 09:01 AM

Sure you can but only if it likes it.

Vicegrip
11-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Not getting invited to this party must be the unanticipated downside to keeping my drivetrain sparkling clean. :( :rolleyes:still need to flush the motor with the proper solvents.

americancyclo
11-10-2015, 11:25 AM
I want to remove the cassette ... (and evaluate for replacement).

You need to get out of your granny cassette gear more, it's wearing fast!

TwoWheelsDC
11-10-2015, 11:51 AM
You need to get out of your granny cassette gear more, it's wearing fast!

Disagree. High levels of wear on the low-end of your cassette indicates that you stick to the Big Ring, which is PRO (http://www.velominati.com/look-pro/look-pro-part-vii-sur-la-plaque-part-duex/).

americancyclo
11-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Disagree. High levels of wear on the low-end of your cassette indicates that you stick to the Big Ring, which is PRO.

That would indicate cross-chaining which is NOPRO.

ShawnoftheDread
11-10-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure there's anything pro about that cassette. Greasier than a diner meatloaf.

vvill
11-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Looking at those pictures, I'm not sure there's much point cleaning that stuff. I'd probably just get a new chain/cassette/rings and toss the oldies.

Either that, or just keeping riding as is until it starts skipping (or is it doing that already?)

dbb
11-10-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure there's anything pro about that cassette. Greasier than a diner meatloaf.

Or as some would say, "You could grow tomatoes on that."

Subby
11-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Cassette just needs to be cleaned, no? The teeth look like they are in good shape. Chainrings are old.

How do I know if I have an 11 or 10 speed?

ShawnoftheDread
11-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Cassette just needs to be cleaned, no? The teeth look like they are in good shape. Chainrings are old.

Dude, count the sprockets in the back.

hozn
11-10-2015, 02:32 PM

Count the number of cogs/sprockets (gears in back).

Don't try to fix what ain't broken. E.g. the best way to make your BB start creaking is to take it apart to clean it. Cartridge BBs are effectively unserviceable, as once you pry off those seals they will never be the same.

If your chain skips on the cogs, throw everything into the trash and buy all new. If there isn't any skipping then just use the edge of a rag between the cogs if you want it to look pretty; this act likely won't do anything to help it ride better, but it is fun to get dirty in an effort to make things clean.

Vicegrip
11-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Big cog looks shot in the picture. Cassette and chain, check and unbend the RD hanger*, clean and lube the RD and wheels, Remove the brake pads, remove the brakes and pedals. ultrasonic tank the brakes and pedals if needed, blow them clean and dry with compressed air and re-lube while still hot from the tank. Pull the brake and shift cables, blow the housings out or replace and install new cables. Blow out the brifters and lube if able and needed. Feel the bottom bracket with everything else off and service if needed. Clean up the chain rings. Feel the headset and service as needed. Reassemble everything. Tune up the shifting and set the limits. Adjust the brakes. Easy peasy, two to three hours tops working in happy hobby mode.

*evidence of a couple of good hits on the RD pivot.

Subby
11-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Dude, count the sprockets in the back.
That was easy!

KayakCyndi
11-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Big cog looks shot in the picture. Cassette and chain, check and unbend the RD hanger*, clean and lube the RD and wheels, Remove the brake pads, remove the brakes and pedals. ultrasonic tank the brakes and pedals if needed, blow them clean and dry with compressed air and re-lube while still hot from the tank. Pull the brake and shift cables, blow the housings out or replace and install new cables. Blow out the brifters and lube if able and needed. Feel the bottom bracket with everything else off and service if needed. Clean up the chain rings. Feel the headset and service as needed. Reassemble everything. Tune up the shifting and set the limits. Adjust the brakes. Easy peasy, two to three hours tops working in happy hobby mode.

Vicegrip, I wouldn't want to you run out of projects for your "happy hobby" time. After you finish your fleet, I'd be happy to provide a few bikes (and beers) to your cause just to keep you happy. 'Cause I'm all nice and thoughtful like that .....

TwoWheelsDC
11-10-2015, 03:19 PM

This is where I just throw money at the problem...

dkel
11-10-2015, 04:26 PM

Screw all this. Just buy a new bike.

Vicegrip
11-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Vicegrip, I wouldn't want to you run out of projects for your "happy hobby" time. After you finish your fleet, I'd be happy to provide a few bikes (and beers) to your cause just to keep you happy. 'Cause I'm all nice and thoughtful like that .....Always have room and time for a Rule 9 rider.

Finish? What is this concept "finish"?

Bikes are easy. A frame out bike rebuild is fun and good for the soul. It is the 4 wheel contrivances I tend to play with that consume my time and test my patience.

jrenaut
11-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Bikes are easy. A frame out bike rebuild is fun and good for the soul.
I have an early '70s Falcon that I inherited from my dad. It's in great shape but has been neglected for years. One of these days I'm going to recruit some forum members to help me rebuild it (Downtube shifters, Dismal)
Posts like yours make me think you might be one of my target helpers...

vvill
11-10-2015, 07:52 PM

The big cog teeth look a bit worn in the pic but yeah I guess overall it's not that bad, Vicegrip I'm sure will be able to tell you when he inspects. Looks like 10 speed (I have the same RD I think).

FWIW it was a lot of miles before I ever bothered regularly cleaning my chains and drive train. I don't know if it really makes a ton of difference in terms of wear rate, but it does keep things cleaner in general - mostly my basement floor and my right leg. Also sounds nicer when you're out riding. (One reason I like to ride SS/FG is to avoid more maintenance.)

Vicegrip
11-10-2015, 08:52 PM
I like how we went from "How do I take this apart?" to "New Bike!"

DismalScientist
11-10-2015, 09:47 PM
(Downtube shifters, Dismal)

I'm getting old. Convert to bar ends.

jrenaut
11-10-2015, 10:07 PM
I'm getting old. Convert to bar ends.
Same difference.