PDA

View Full Version : Accidental half century

StopMeansStop
07-16-2011, 11:51 PM
My normal ride is about 11 miles in about 50 mins, always the same route. I'm a creatures of habit, what can I say?

Since the wife went out of town, Friday night I decided to go for a 30 mile trip. This would have been my longest ride evr so I had to psych myself up for it. Woke up, got my coffee and did plenty of stretching. Prepped the bike, suntan lotion, water and off I went.

I started out by entering Martha Custis (heh) at Quincy and then picked up then WOD. Since I've been having some chain issues on my new Surly I planned on going out to spokes in Vienna and have them take a look at it then go further west for 5 miles to check out the changes and then head home.

So as I left spokes, towns kept popping up faster than I expected. First Reston, then Herndon and the next thing I know I'm at Ashburn!

There are some really nice stretches where you can open up on the level trail. I pushed a little too far as My legs almost gave out on the last 10 miles home, but all in all a fun trip. Too bad I forgot to get BBQ. Sorry Ann.

Did anyone see the people handing out saftey surveys? I told them maybe they shouldn't have people fills out the surveys while blocking the trail, ya know, for safety?

PotomacCyclist
07-17-2011, 05:54 AM
The W&OD can suck you in like that. I think it's kind of funny to see the warning signs for horses on the trail. I still haven't seen any horses out there, only on the Mall (NPS rangers).

acc
07-17-2011, 07:48 AM
What a great post! I am so happy you had a good ride on one of my favorite trails. You are exactly right Sir, there are stretches where you can just plain flat-out ride and not worry about running over anyone or hitting anything. All the way to Ashburn, that was one fantastic ride. Ok, well almost. Half a point deduction for artistic expression by failing to stop @ Carolina Brothers. Next time notice how close Reston Town Center is to the trail. The Bike Lane is out there for bike stuff, but Jackson's is terrific for a drink and to people watch.

Thanks for posting, what great news to start Sunday! Now back to the TDF, please pass some carnage. (Is that the worst tag line ever or what?)

ann

eminva
07-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Congratulations! Glad you got to see the scenery out that way. It is a very nice ride and I do it as often as time allows. My husband and I rode out to Herndon on Tuesday evening (20 mile roundtrip for us).

Gee, my husband and son are out of town too and I spent the day cleaning. Hmmm. Must not be doing this right.

Liz

SteveTheTech
07-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Congratulations, that sounds like a very nice ride.

Cheers,

baiskeli
07-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Great story. The magic of a bike.

consularrider
07-18-2011, 02:51 PM
I did my accidential half century on the W&OD from the Custis out past Ashburn and back on Saturday. I blame the nice lady with the Spokes Etc kit for passing me just after I crossed the Rte 7 overpass in Falls Church heading west since I had only planned on a quarter century to Reston and back.

I didn't see any horses on Saturday, just two fawns in the gravel on the south edge of the trail near mile 12. I have seen horses on the stretch from Vienna to Hunter Mill Rd and then in the area from mile 41 to mile 43 between Hamilton and Purcellville. I also did not stop for the survey teams.