PDA

View Full Version : The CCT owl, caught in the act

cvcalhoun
10-17-2015, 04:32 PM
So, did everyone see the photo of the CCT owl after it stole someone's running light?

Story is here (http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Beat/2015/Montgomery-Parks-Warns-of-Aggressive-Owl-Living-Along-Popular-Trail-in-Bethesda/).

Vicegrip
10-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Last winter while on a very early am ride on the WO&D I felt an air pressure change and odd puff of air while riding along between Reston and Herndon. I saw a glimpse of a large Owl in my headlight as it passed from behind, dropped a bit and then regained altitude. Not a sound, just the slight disturbance in the otherwise cool calm crisp night air as the Owl took a close pass at me. Quite glad I am not Owl food and that I got to see a glimpse of just how cool a Owl is.

I make a point to not read the comments but there are some funny ones this time. :)

mstone
10-19-2015, 07:37 AM
So, did everyone see the photo of the CCT owl after it stole someone's running light?

I've seen it every night since, in my nightmares.

Steve O
10-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Last winter while on a very early am ride on the WO&D I felt an air pressure change and odd puff of air while riding along between Reston and Herndon. I saw a glimpse of a large Owl in my headlight as it passed from behind, dropped a bit and then regained altitude. Not a sound, just the slight disturbance in the otherwise cool calm crisp night air as the Owl took a close pass at me. Quite glad I am not Owl food and that I got to see a glimpse of just how cool a Owl is.

Once when I was commuting home from Silver Spring along the unpaved portion of the CCT, an owl came out of the trees and flew along with me, about 10-12 feet above me, for 3-6 seconds. Utterly silent and totally cool.