PDA

View Full Version : I was NOT run over at the Lynn Street intersection wtih the Custis Trail this morning

Dirt
07-13-2011, 06:49 AM
It was dang close though.

Love,

Pete

PS: I didn't see anyone else get squished either. It's a good thing.

CCrew
07-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Bah, cars. For you we have steel plates. :)

Signed,
Wile E. Coyote

Dirt
07-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Bah, cars. For you we have steel plates. :)

Signed,
Wile E. Coyote
Yeah. You get to run yourself over. ;)

baiskeli
07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
As I was approaching that intersection this morning, I saw that I probably wasn't going to make it over in time, so I stayed behind a very slow rider who wasn't going to make it either, letting the guys who were speeding up to get through make it. AFTER the light turned, this slow rider proceed through the intersection, in front of the cars desperately trying to make the turn toward the Key Bridge, still going just as slowly. No rush, slow guy.

Dirt
07-13-2011, 08:52 AM
My encounter this morning involved a woman whose phone call and coffee consumption was more important than stopping at the traffic light, looking where she was going or having a hand on the wheel. After I pounded on her window, she did put her coffee cup down so that she could steer the car. I'm grateful for that. :D

WillStewart
07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
I was NOT run over at the Lynn Street intersection wtih the Custis Trail this morning .

A good thing!

americancyclo
07-13-2011, 11:12 AM
she did put her coffee cup down so that she could steer the car.
how considerate! and people say drivers have no manners!

Dirt
07-13-2011, 12:14 PM
how considerate! and people say drivers have no manners!

It is good to know that people still care. ;)

acc
07-13-2011, 01:20 PM
After reading about Dirt's experience, I just had to make a trip down there to experience that thrill ride of an intersection again. And I was not disappointed. Three cars coming up the hill on Lee Hwy all turned right into the crosswalk with the blinking "walk" sign of fate going gangbusters. Each car came a little bit faster trying to beat the cyclists/pedestrians in the crosswalk. It was very exciting. This is hands down the worst intersection I deal with on a semi-regular basis. If there are others, let me know. I'd like to start a summer tour of disaster and peril.

Playing dodgeball on a bike for fun and glory,

ann

eminva
07-13-2011, 01:47 PM
My whole attitude about this intersection has changed since Pete put forth the "Burmese Tiger Trap" at the Marriott driveway image in his post a few weeks back. Now when I pass through there I just think, "look out for tigers!" and I'm smiling until the Key Bridge at least. It hasn't reduced the number of near misses, but oh well.

I'm still working on the "love and respect all mankind" thing -- getting better every day, but still not there.

And Ann, come on across the Key Bridge and ride around DC! We've got plenty of disaster and peril here.

Liz

Dirt
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I still love and respect all mankind. I mean that seriously. I see that what people are in their cars is not always what they are as people. There's something to love and respect in all of us... even if people do a good job of hiding it.

It took me most of the day to get out of my road-rage-induced funk. I'm there in time to go out and play in the rain. :D

Joe Chapline
07-13-2011, 02:05 PM
I see that what people are in their cars is not always what they are as people.

...or what they are as talking dogs. Here's Goofy as a Jekyll-and-Hyde driver in a 1950 Walt Disney cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg

CCrew
07-14-2011, 03:59 AM
. This is hands down the worst intersection I deal with on a semi-regular basis. If there are others, let me know. I'd like to start a summer tour of disaster and peril.

The great Wiehle Avenue bowling lanes?

And if you get a chance to ride out that way, Belmont Ridge Road and the W&OD intersection can be sheer joy.

07-14-2011, 06:23 AM
This is hands down the worst intersection I deal with on a semi-regular basis.

I agree. I usually only encounter it in the afternoon, heading west. When I rode it daily, in the afternoons, I came close to getting hit about three out of five days. Normally, the light changes and the cars go, regardless of whether someone -- pedestrian or cyclist -- is in the crosswalk. The change, a while back, to have the "Walk" signal lead the green light has only added tot he problem. Cars looking to make a right on red and head towards Key Bridge, see the gap caused by the cars stopping, and go, without looking.

A while back, at least five years ago, someone with the county was stopping cyclists and and interviewing them, for some cycling PSAs. (This was back when Charlie Denny was still around and he said it was not his office.) As I was waiting for the light, I told the crew that it was the most dangerous intersection in the county for bikes and they acted surprised. In less than five minutes, we watched three cyclists almost get hit by SUVs. Alas, while the interviews were filmed, they did not film traffic.

Mark Blacknell
07-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Can we get an update? Did you NOT get this this morning, Dirt?

txgoonie
07-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm honestly surprised by the bravery/stupidity of some cyclists going through that intersection. Being hyper aware of the danger there, I won't cross without confirmation that the drivers both see me and are slowing down (and wave thankfully when they do). Apologies to the cyclists behind me in a big, fat hurry when I'm leading, but I refuse to be the sacrificial lamb so that everyone else can pass without hitting the brakes. It matters not quite often as I'm hesitating before proceeding across, cyclists behind come screaming around me defiantly, safety be damned! I know I have the right of way and should be able to proceed without pausing. Drivers should be looking and yielding to peds and bikes crossing. But principles don't stop cars in their tracks. I could be right and in danger, or ride defensively and keep myself safe.

FFX_Hinterlands
07-14-2011, 10:02 AM
We clearly need some video of this intersection for those of us who don't get to experience it. Helmet cam?

CCrew
07-14-2011, 10:25 AM
We clearly need some video of this intersection for those of us who don't get to experience it. Helmet cam?

I really dunno what all the noise is about. I go through there every morning and rarely see a car.

at 4am :p :)

vvill
07-14-2011, 11:55 AM
I ride through here both ways on my commute. It is pretty bad considering what a hub it is for both cyclists and motorists. I wish it was easier to get from K St to the other (northern) side of Key Bridge so I could skip it at least one way but this still wouldn't help cyclists coming from further south in VA.

Pablo Escobar
07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Luckily the dude in the Mercedes stopped midway through the crossing this morning, just narrowly taking out the dude behind me.

acc
07-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I may be completely misguided and looking for an overly simple solution but generally that sums up most of my life choices. For starters wouldn't it help at least a little to have a NO RIGHT TURN on RED aimed at the people coming South from Lee Highway turning onto Lynn? Feel free to enthusiastically tell me this is a bad idea.

Still picking sand out of my teeth from a fall today when Spartacus collided with a sand dune. So maybe I'm not thinking straight.

ann

Dirt
07-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry you crashed today. I hope you're okay.

The No Right on Red sign would help more than the "Yield to people in the crosswalk" sign, but still doesn't solve the problem. When turning right on red, most people look hard to the left and in the exact opposite direction that they are traveling and away from the sign. They do this all while driving right into the crosswalk. It is a perfect storm of an intersection that is repeated all over the metropolitan area.

acc
07-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Oh, I'm fine. The concrete broke my fall- missed the sand. I think my howling scared the wildlife though.

I was vaguely thinking that if at least that line of traffic stopped it would be one less thing to focus on. All I'm trying to do is take one variable out of the equation. What strikes me about that intersection is there are so many moving parts. I swear it feels like being caught in the middle of a very poorly thought out ambush.

Sand is a useful exfoliant. Probably chock full of minerals too.

ann

RESTONTODC
07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Ann, it’s good that you're ok.

A RHG group shuttle almost ran over my front wheel yesterday afternoon. It was making right turn fast from middle lane. If I didn’t stop, my front wheel would be under the shuttle’s rear wheel. It looks like the passengers were late for a fly. They should change their name to Super Shuttle 2.

eminva
07-14-2011, 07:21 PM
A few other unfavorite intersections:

Fairfax and North Wakefield -- this is the intersection between Glebe and the path to the Custis Trail. When I'm coming west, the bike lane ends and I'm never sure if I'm supposed to stay in the street (mixing it up with cars about to enter an interstate) or move onto the "sidewalk." I use the term loosely because the condition of the sidewalk is terrible (for that matter, so is the pavement in the street), the curb cuts are in the wrong place and there are cars coming and going from all directions. Like Lynn Street, I fear for my life. I often wonder what it would be like in a wheelchair.

Crossing the Key Bridge on the "downstream" side of the bridge -- the exit ramp for the Whitehurst Freeway, which has also been mentioned here before.

Liz

OneEighth
07-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't think you were trying hard enough, Dirt.

Dirt
07-18-2011, 06:31 AM
I don't think you were trying hard enough, Dirt.

I will strive to do better in the future, sir. :D

chris_s
07-19-2011, 10:59 AM
A few other unfavorite intersections:
Fairfax and North Wakefield -- this is the intersection between Glebe and the path to the Custis Trail.

Just wanted to point out from the most recent Bike Project update that this area is scheduled to be rebuilt in "early 2012". See project B-12 here:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B2HOXRS-TxPYMzhiOWY3ZDktZjVmOC00NzUzLWE2M2UtZjgzMTdlMzRjZW I4&hl=en_US

Mark Blacknell
07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
The County is well aware of cyclists' dissatisfaction with the Wakefield/Custis branch intersection. My preferred permanent solution is to cut the sidewalk back at that point (so the bike lane can continue straight through). My preferred interim solution is to get rid of the bike lane entirely (from Glebe), replacing it with sharrows.

CCrew
07-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Fairfax and North Wakefield -- this is the intersection between Glebe and the path to the Custis Trail. When I'm coming west, the bike lane ends and I'm never sure if I'm supposed to stay in the street (mixing it up with cars about to enter an interstate) or move onto the "sidewalk." I use the term loosely because the condition of the sidewalk is terrible (for that matter, so is the pavement in the street), the curb cuts are in the wrong place and there are cars coming and going from all directions. Like Lynn Street, I fear for my life. I often wonder what it would be like in a wheelchair.

Came through there yesterday, had two ladies standing on the corner in the middle of the sidewalk ramp. Absolutely refused to move for me.

My worst? Coming off M Street onto the Key bridge headed toward Rosslyn. You not only are mixing it up with the cars which by that point are sensing freedom from the gridlock on M, but you're trying to get across the right hand merge land on the other side to get up on the bridge.

The County is well aware of cyclists' dissatisfaction with the Wakefield/Custis branch intersection. My preferred permanent solution is to cut the sidewalk back at that point (so the bike lane can continue straight through). My preferred interim solution is to get rid of the bike lane entirely (from Glebe), replacing it with sharrows.

I have less issue with trying to get up on the trail than I do with cars trying to get into and out of the school just before there. Between blocking the street or the sidewalk it's not a happy place getting forced into a lane, then trying to navigate the access to the trail.

americancyclo
07-19-2011, 03:45 PM
My worst? Coming off M Street onto the Key bridge headed toward Rosslyn. You not only are mixing it up with the cars which by that point are sensing freedom from the gridlock on M, but you're trying to get across the right hand merge land on the other side to get up on the bridge.

That's why I started taking the Roosevelt Bridge. Been *almost* hit too many times by merging drivers on their cell phones.

brendan
07-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Came through there yesterday, had two ladies standing on the corner in the middle of the sidewalk ramp. Absolutely refused to move for me.

I don't even bother any more, I just go to the sidewalk west of 34th St and cross as a pedestrian and take the sidewalk across the bridge. Granted, the cargo bike can't quite keep up with the mini-interstate traffic across the Potomac. In addition, I find the left turn from the road hard to judge well, partly due to the road surface and curb layout.

Brendan