PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Saddles Sticky Post

Amalitza
10-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Hey, Tim Kelley and other forum moderators! Could we have a Freezing Saddles sticky post to have a spot to keep info on Freezing Saddles status? It would have to be locked out to replies so it doesn’t grow to 10 pages long like every other thread, but able to be edited so it can be kept current with registration info, links, happy hour dates, etc. The idea is a single, easy to find, and relatively concise post to consolidate information and instructions so people don’t have to wade through 5 threads of 10 pages each to figure out how to register, how to authorize strava, when happy hour is. After working with latecomers and substitutions last year, that is one idea I had for making it easier for people to figure out what they’re supposed to do to get signed up and on a team. Newcomers especially, but I think it would be helpful for regulars, too. Already there has been a question from someone who’s gotten lost in multiple old threads looking for a way to join up this year; this would (hopefully) prevent that. Right now it would just say something like “Freezing Saddles 2016 will probably run from January 1 through the last day of winter (as it has in the past). This year’s game hasn’t been organized yet. Check this post regularly for further information about signing up and helping out. Information will be added as it becomes available.” As we start having planning threads, links to those threads could be added for those that would like to participate in planning, but not everyone cares about the finer details of team assignment. They just want to know when, where, and how to sign up (to play, to offer pointless prizes, etc). And when happy hour is.:p

And, yes, rcannon, I am volunteering to be the Keeper of the Sticky Post.:rolleyes: (if the forum software/rules allow a non-moderator to edit a locked and stickied post.) This is not my first rodeo; I know the rule about having to do the thing you are suggesting should be done.

Tim Kelley
10-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks for volunteering. Go ahead and create a placeholder post and I'll sticky it and then you can play around to see if you can continue to edit it.

Steve O
10-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks for volunteering. Go ahead and create a placeholder post and I'll sticky it and then you can play around to see if you can continue to edit it.

Probably. I am able to edit the Coffee Club sticky, so I imagine Amalitza will be able to edit the FS one.

The part of this that would also be good to control is the thread. As people respond to the thread that the sticky heads, it becomes harder and harder to dig through and find. I think what Am is hoping for is a sticky note that can be edited but cannot be responded to. Correct me if I'm wrong, Am.

Tim Kelley
10-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Yes, I can also close a thread. Just not sure if that locks if from being both edited and responded to.

Amalitza
10-05-2015, 02:02 PM

Thanks!

done

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9384-Freezing-Saddles-2016-Important-Information&p=125526#post125526

Tim Kelley
10-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Try it now.

If you can't edit it because it's a "closed" thread, then maybe we'll have to unclose it and allow anyone to respond, but make it clear that the information in the top thread is the only relevant part.

Amalitza
10-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately, no. The "edit post" button has disappeared along with the reply options.

oh well, it was an idea. I can beg profusely in all caps and bold text that people not reply to it. That probably won't work. Just a guess. :) But I can try.