PDA

View Full Version : Winter Is Coming!

consularrider
09-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Get ready! Overnight lows this week down to the single digits! Ok, that's in Kyiv and in centigrade, but my 26" studded tires are here for the old Raleigh.

consularrider
09-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Tonight's the night, overnight low predicted of 7.

Crickey7
09-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Tonight's the night, overnight low predicted of 7.

I admit to seeing the picture of AFHokies' bitchin new Lake boots and thinking how awesome those would make winter riding.

KayakCyndi
09-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Get ready! Overnight lows this week down to the single digits! Ok, that's in Kyiv and in centigrade, but my 26" studded tires are here for the old Raleigh.

94 degrees and soupy here. I'm ready. Bring on winter (or at least fall) already!

DismalScientist
09-09-2015, 08:23 AM
And now for some helpful cold weather riding advice from our friends in Gainesville:

"
Cold Weather Riding Advice

by Roger Pierce

On many winter mornings we will get an opportunity to practice our cold weather riding. It is important to know how to dress in order to be reasonably comfortable during the ride. On a typical winter ride we expect temperatures in the low 40's at ride start, going up into the 50's before ride end. As spring approaches, starts in the 50's going up into the 60's and 70's will become common.
BODY

Layering is important in these conditions. You will probably want to remove one or two layers as the day warms up. The best material for your base layer is a modern "technical" fabric such as coolmax, thermax, thermalactyl, polypropylene, or something similar. For temperatures not expected to get out of the 50's, I will use a long sleeve base. Other materials to consider are wool and silk; cotton is not a good choice as it will keep cold moisture directly in contact with your skin.

The next layer should go only on your front. I have a wool item with a velcro fastener that goes in back of my neck. Any non-cotton t-shirt should do the job. Over this (keeping it in place) is your jersey. The final layer on your body should be a jacket or wind shell (something with one layer, not a lined jacket). If your jacket is not wind resistant, you may want to put a large tyvek envelope or part of a paper shopping bag under the front of your jacket.
ARMS

If temperatures are expected to get above 65 during the ride, you will want to be able to remove everything from your arms. This means wearing short sleeve t-shirts/jerseys. Arm warmers are all you will need for temperatures starting in the mid-50's. Below that, the sleeves on your jacket will complete the job. If temperatures are not expected to get out of the 50's, a long sleeve t-shirt or jersey can be used to provide a permanent arm covering.
HANDS

You will need a glove that covers your fingers. A glove liner under your regular cycling glove will work. Heavy gloves will probably get too hot before the ride is over.
LEGS

For most of us, shorts with leg warmers will be sufficient for the lower parts. If you have lightweight tights these will also work. Thermal tights may get too warm when temps reach into the 50's.
FEET

Wear two pairs of socks. If you have toe covers for your shoes this might be a good time to use them. If you have really cold feet, shoe covers may help, though they may feel very hot when temps get into the 50's. Plastic sandwich bags over your socks will help for temps in the 40's.
HEAD

Something to cover your ears will be welcome if temperatures stay in the low 40's very long. Some riders can tolerate a head covering for temps in the 40's; I get too hot with something on my head at around 45 degrees.

Have some way to carry stuff that you take off during the ride. As it warms up, you will want to remove layers to keep from overheating. Your jacket and the extra layer on the front will probably go, as will ear protection and shoe covers. If you are wearing heavy gloves, you will need to switch to lighter ones before finishing. Your jersey pockets can only hold so much. Consider bringing a fanny pack, rack pack, or expanding seat bag.

Winter rides meet at 9 am Saturdays and Sundays. With proper clothing, you can get a good, brisk workout.

KayakCyndi
09-09-2015, 11:51 AM
And now for some helpful cold weather riding advice from our friends in Gainesville:

"
Cold Weather Riding Advice

by Roger Pierce

On many winter mornings we will get an opportunity to practice our cold weather riding. It is important to know how to dress in order to be reasonably comfortable during the ride. On a typical winter ride we expect temperatures in the low 40's at ride start, going up into the 50's before ride end. As spring approaches, starts in the 50's going up into the 60's and 70's will become common.

Winter rides meet at 9 am Saturdays and Sundays. With proper clothing, you can get a good, brisk workout.

Isn't that cute. Personally, I think if we're not talking about studded tires, bar mits, and Lake/Northwave/Shimano winter boots versus hiking boots, and how much below zero the windchill will be then we're not talking about winter cycling!

Are you ready?

rcannon100
09-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Are you ready?

http://ohtoptens.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Grumpy-Cat-NO-6.jpg

ginacico
09-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Are you ready?

Oh, sure. But only if all snow days are this pretty!

That was the day Cyndi's Volagi was delivered by elves so she could go ride in the snow.

Vicegrip
09-11-2015, 09:11 PM
The second photo requires further explanation please.:)

consularrider
09-12-2015, 06:28 AM
Those winter riding tips were very useful this morning for my half century. Thanks Mr. Pierce! (ride start 51F, ride end 62F) :D

KayakCyndi
09-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Gina, Peter, Dave and I took the stream train from Cumberland to frostburg (fittingly named) that day. It was around Christmas and everyone working on the train was in costume.

When we boarded on Cumberland it was cold but not snowy. We disembarked in Frostburg where the ice storm the previous day and the snow made it a winter wonderland. Coasting back to Cumberland was amazing!

ginacico
09-12-2015, 09:11 AM

But that takes all the fun out of it ;)

We took the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad from Cumberland to Frostburg, Thanksgiving weekend Nov 2013. Santa was aboard the train and the crew dressed up like elves.

We were just going for a day trip, but Frostburg lived up to its name, we really had no idea the GAP would be that snowy. We rode as far as the Big Savage Tunnel, and as we gained elevation the trees looked like they were encrusted in Swarovski crystal. Crazy unexpected conditions, so beautiful and so fun!

Steve O
09-12-2015, 12:42 PM
But that takes all the fun out of it ;)

Agreed. You should have left vicegrip scratching his head.

Vicegrip
09-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Agreed. You should have left vicegrip scratching his head.

Why hold back on a good story when asked?

....and that reminds me. Who in their right mind makes a bike helmet with air holes too small to get a finger through in order to get to an ich? Giro is one.

GovernorSilver
09-12-2015, 03:48 PM
That was the day Cyndi's Volagi was delivered by elves so she could go ride in the snow.

That's the color of Brian's Volagi at Bikenetic. So that's two of them in the area with that color. I guess I'll go for blue when the time comes. ;)

I'm having a trekking bar installed on my current city commuter bike. Got a quick response from Bar Mitts after an email inquiry - they say they can do a custom pair for the trekking bar after I send them a photo of the completed job (bar with brake levers, shifter, etc.).

I've coped with the summer rain by wearing quick-dry shirts, shorts, socks, etc. but have been warned that cold weather rain is a different beast. I need to go for a ride at least once in my Vasque hiking boots to make sure they're suitable for cold-weather riding.

AFHokie
09-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Why hold back on a good story when asked?

....and that reminds me. Who in their right mind makes a bike helmet with air holes too small to get a finger through in order to get to an ich? Giro is one.
How big are your fingers?

sjclaeys
09-13-2015, 03:59 PM
53 degrees tomorrow morning at 7:00 am, may need to do the German tourist route and wear socks with my bike sandals.

PotomacCyclist
09-13-2015, 05:42 PM
I would like winter better if it only lasted for one month.

vern
09-13-2015, 10:24 PM
I just ordered a new base layer, long-sleeve jersey and wool socks. Bring it on!

GovernorSilver
09-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Picked up a balaclava and windstopper gloves, among other things, at Tri360. The guy who sold them assured me he uses the same brand of gloves in the 30-40 F range. Never owned a balaclava before - in my pre-cycling days I simply wrapped a scarf around my mouth on an as-needed basis.

KayakCyndi
09-14-2015, 01:01 PM
That's the color of Brian's Volagi at Bikenetic. So that's two of them in the area with that color. I guess I'll go for blue when the time comes. ;)

Correction, Brian has MY color of Viaje and there are far more than two of them. I believe there are at least 5 cream ones, two blacks ones (well one here and one on order), a Ti one, and one red one. And those are just the Viaje's I know about. I'm not sure the blue one is still in production ....

GovernorSilver
09-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Correction, Brian has MY color of Viaje and there are far more than two of them. I believe there are at least 5 cream ones, two blacks ones (well one here and one on order), a Ti one, and one red one. And those are just the Viaje's I know about. I'm not sure the blue one is still in production ....

Ok I won't get your color, lol.

The website still shows blue as a color option. It also says call for additional options. I wonder how much extra they'll charge to do a hotter pink variation of Glitter Dreams.

consularrider
09-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Didn't feel like it today. 71F at 8 am and a high of 87F, I went though a lot of fluids over the 8 plus hours and still feel like I didn't drink enough. No more single digits in the extended forecast.

ejwillis62
09-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Had to wear a jacket this morning. I am not ready for Fall and certainly not ready for the W___ter word. No no say it aint so..... I don't want to be cold.

consularrider
09-27-2015, 06:42 AM
We're supposed to be back to the single digits (centigrade) for our overnight lows. of course, that just means we are going to be back to normal seasonal averages for Kyiv after two weeks of warm temperatures. I'm glad my warmer cycling gear was delivered last Wednesday.

consularrider
09-29-2015, 12:06 AM
It's 52F at 8 am here in Kyiv and the high is only supposed to be 58F. Starting temperature for tomorrow morning's ride will probably be around 45F. I unpacked the box with my bib knickers yesterday, just in time for these old arthritic knees.

Crickey7
09-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Uggggh.

LeprosyStudyGroup
10-02-2015, 04:49 PM
I cant figure out how to join a freezing saddles team for this year and keep getting lost in old threads - guessing that's because it hasn't been organized yet?

Amalitza
10-02-2015, 05:23 PM
I cant figure out how to join a freezing saddles team for this year and keep getting lost in old threads - guessing that's because it hasn't been organized yet?

this would be a correct guess. we haven't even started arguing about the precisely best way to assign teams, or how best should even be defined in this context. at least not on the forum. maybe some coffee clubs have begun the arguing in person?

consularrider
10-04-2015, 06:16 AM
I know you are all going to be jealous, but this week's forecast lows for Thursday and Friday nights are -1C. Oh joy, Freezing Saddles here I come! :D

consularrider
10-07-2015, 11:01 AM
And so it starts, 7 pm and 44F as I get ready to walk the dog. Tomorrow morning it is supposed to be 30F when I do the morning dog walk. Oh joy!

consularrider
10-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Latest extended forecast for next weekend includes possible snow in the overnight hours between Friday and Saturday although it is supposed to be above freezing.

Tania
10-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Low to mid thirties this am and frost on the cars. We, naturally, went for a bike ride.

wheels&wings
10-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Lovely morning for a ride/errands, but I saw far fewer bicycles than on other Sundays. Where is everyone? in Richmond? at church? recovering from late night parties that I wasn’t invited to? :)

cvcalhoun
10-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Hiding inside from the cold? Yeah, I know, seems unlikely to us Freezing Saddles types. But there are a lot of people who think there are temperature restrictions on biking.

DrP
10-19-2015, 08:25 AM
Sunday morning was glorious for a bike ride! Okay, the fingers and toes remained unusable for part of the time (too quick a jump to cold), but it was clear, crisp and no one on the trails! No needing to pass big groups or have folks whiz by not calling passes. Just wonderful. Number 7 on the monolith! I haven't been single digits in ages.

Today was great too - even colder, but commute (relatively short) rather than a long fun ride. Clearly more people out today as I was number 105 and it was within a few minutes of yesterday.

I do need to remember what to wear at these temps. Usually I ease into the weather adding a little bit each week, this time it has been kind of sudden.

consularrider
10-31-2015, 01:20 PM
Well, it really wasn't that cold on this afternoon's ride, but then I saw several patches of this on the side of the trail.

I can't wait to head to the Alps tomorrow where it is slightly warmer.

consularrider
11-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Riding in the mountains east of Garmish-Partenkirchen today. Down in the valley there was frost in the morning, up on the mountain there was ice on the puddles and heavy frost on the wooden bridge in the shade.

consularrider
11-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Some fresh snow fell this morning on the Zugspitze.

consularrider
11-29-2015, 09:32 AM
And we finally have snow in Kyiv.

Kitty
11-30-2015, 07:15 AM
Hey! It looks like you're way ahead of the game!

consularrider
11-30-2015, 10:03 AM
But the snow didn't stick around for today's ride (and it's the same temperature in Arlington and Kyiv right now). Glad our rain is much lighter too.

consularrider
12-01-2015, 06:36 AM
It started snowing as I headed to lunch. Got my first ride of the winter on the studded tires, they were overkill.

elwbikes
12-03-2015, 12:21 AM
I've already ridden about 10 miles on snowy, icy streets! Do we get a bonus for starting early?

consularrider
12-05-2015, 01:24 PM
Always one of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips

cvcalhoun
12-05-2015, 08:57 PM
That's pretty much what my son tells me. But he's 33, not 6, now. Fortunately, the grandchildren are not yet old enough to make fun of me.

Always one of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strips

consularrider
12-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Ok, Arlington is actually below freezing right now while in Kyiv we can see the sun and it's 50F for a change. Please get that out of your system by next weekend, thank you very much. :D

jnva
12-06-2015, 10:10 AM
Last December I had a bad crash on Lee hwy at the intersection of spout run. It was a real nice day, but just below freezing and I did not see the black ice covering the intersection. There must have been a water leak. I ended up in the ER with a badly dislocated shoulder. I had surgery a few months later to repair torn rotator cuff and bicep tendon. My shoulder is still not healed...
Be careful out there!

sethpo
12-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Blue is a good Volagi color.

KayakCyndi
12-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Blue is a good Volagi color.

Whose is that?

Subby
12-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Whose is that?
Seth's. He is trying to unseat you as Volagi President.

KayakCyndi
12-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Seth's. He is trying to unseat you as Volagi President.

I'm gonna have to up my game! But still ....

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/b075ed56d8b7a671461efbf16b7726d8.jpg

And
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/827bfba1c7d44de39fea89cc5a26aa8e.jpg

Aren't too bad!

ShawnoftheDread
12-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Until he becomes an official spokesmodel, Seth will have to remain second-string.

consularrider
12-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Nice comment from Tanya Nevada about bike commuting this time of year on Strava: "Стандартная ситуация каждый ноябрь-декабрь. Ежедневный b2w реально спасает ситуацию. С появлением солнца расцветаю и оживаю. Как цветок ;-). Может и не хватает чего-то, не знаю. Никогда в таком контексте не думала :-)"

Google Translate from the Russian: "Standard situation every November and December. Daily b2w really makes a difference. With the advent of the sun blossom and come alive. Like a flower;-). Maybe not enough of something, I do not know. Never in this context does not dumalaf."

consularrider
02-02-2016, 11:14 AM
So, it looks like the groundhog saw its shadow in the DC area this morning, is everybody ready for six more weeks of winter (except of course for Wednesday's 60 plus degrees)? We had no sun today in Kyiv, so I don't know what that means in terms of how much more winter we will have.

ShawnoftheDread
02-02-2016, 11:21 AM
When I choose to heed weather rodents, I choose Phil. He saw no shadow today.