PDA

View Full Version : Cassette trouble

Jsnyd
07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Hi all! After lubing my chain :) I noticed some noise coming from the cassette's 7 and 8th gear ring. I took a close look and though it's hard to spot, I believe I see a slight bend in one or two teeth. I'm still a new rider so I highly doubt I was hammering enough to do any damage even if it is a low end Shimano cassette. Then I jogged my memory and believe I may have shifted into a small gear while on my small chain ring. Not for long because I heard something not right and fixed the problem. I must have zoned off because Iím better than that. Anyway! Can I fix the slight bend with needle nose pliers?

CCrew
07-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Are you 100% sure it's a bend? Sometimes the ramp design of cassette sprockets make them look as if they're wrong, when in reality they're correct.

Jsnyd
07-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Are you 100% sure it's a bend? Sometimes the ramp design of cassette sprockets make them look as if they're wrong, when in reality they're correct.

I did noticed some ramp design. I dont want to say 100% because of how unfamiliar I am with troubleshooting BUT when I shift into those gears there is excessive noise. The noise sounds like the chain and teeth aren't agreeing with each other and it only happens when that part of the cassette is in the chain.

CCrew
07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
I did noticed some ramp design. I dont want to say 100% because of how unfamiliar I am with troubleshooting BUT when I shift into those gears there is excessive noise. The noise sounds like the chain and teeth aren't agreeing with each other and it only happens when that part of the cassette is in the chain.

It's possible to be tweaked, but given how you said you think you may have done it it sounds a bit unlikely. I'm wondering if it's not just a trim/adjustment issue.

I will say that if you CAN bend it back with a pair of needlenose you've got bigger issues. Cassettes are fairly stout. They pretty much have to take a good whack.

Jsnyd
07-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I will say that if you CAN bend it back with a pair of needlenose you've got bigger issues. Cassettes are fairly stout. They pretty much have to take a good whack.

Good news then. I wasnt sure how rugged a cassette could be. It must be a trim/adjustment as you say. I havent tried bending any of the teeth.

SteveTheTech
07-15-2011, 06:39 PM
A bent tooth might be possible but using the neighboring gear rings as a guide and point of reference. Bending a tooth wouldn't be too hard or potentially damaging if done properly, I too am dealing with lower end parts and so far ever the really cheap one I have been playing with has held up fairly well. If you have to use a firm gripping tool and one slow motion.

The proximity in the range you are having an issue with would probably require a slight twist of your adjusting barrel to compensate for slight cable stretch.

http://sheldonbrown.com/images/derailer_adj.gif

You should be able to get away with a few quick turns of the rear barrel.