PDA

View Full Version : Bike Around the Bomb

LDaigle
06-23-2015, 03:51 PM
Global Zero’s Annual Bike Around the Bomb

What would a nuclear blast look like in downtown Washington, D.C.?

The world is bristling with more than 15,000 nuclear weapons. The risk that these weapons will be used is growing and the consequences are greater than ever.

Join Global Zero on the 70th anniversary of the atomic bombings of Japan as we cycle what would be the edge of a “small” nuclear blast in downtown D.C. and call on President Obama to keep his promise to “seek the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons.”

Bike Around the Bomb is free, open to the public, and will bring everyone from Global Zero movement leaders to brand new activists together to urge world leaders to remember and to act.

70 years is too long to live in fear.

When: Sunday, August 9th, 10:00am
Where: Lafayette Park, in front of the White House.

Join us after the ride for a complimentary drink!

RSVP at: http://www.globalzero.org/bike-around-the-bomb

Email acard@globalzero.org for more information.

Kitty
07-21-2015, 07:14 AM
This is interesting. Has anyone taken part in this ride in the past? Any idea what the mileage is like? Is 10am the roll time or the gathering time? :confused:

ryanbikesDC
08-04-2015, 12:22 PM
This is interesting. Has anyone taken part in this ride in the past? Any idea what the mileage is like? Is 10am the roll time or the gathering time? :confused:

Yeah, the ride is super fun. It's about 7 miles. 10am is gathering time. Roll time should be about 10:30 or 10:45.

dbb
08-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Bike Around the Bomb had great support from the DC Police motorcycle officers. They did a superb job of blocking intersections and getting motorists that seemed unclear on the correct actions to back out of intersections where they tried to go across the street through the cyclists. Memorable quote "Back it up! Don't you see the bicycles?"

Thanks to those officers

Kitty
08-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I not only participated, I ended up being a ride marshal! It was a tremendous event. (My own foreign policy proclivities aside). Seeing the support of the DCPD was really something. I've never been in a ride where we had our own motorcade! It really allowed folks of all cycling levels to take part and go at their own pace, and focus on the message of peace. Totally inspiring!