PDA

View Full Version : pit stop tasting notes

mstone
05-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Fair Lakes: they were still setting up, and in front of Noodles & Co instead of where they were supposed to be. (Presumably because the short lived supermarket went out of business since BTWD planning started.)

Government Center: Good sized showing. REI folks were there with REI swag. Fairfax bike maps, other assorted treats at other tables. I snagged a blinky for my daughter. Small FABB presence. Getting to it makes you remember how exurban Fairfax is. I managed to get lost on the way out.

Running behind at this point, so I skipped Vienna. Didn't feel like going that far down 123 or circling back on the W&OD.

Merrifield: good sized showing. The HOT lane people were there again, which I still don't get. Chinese food, some gel packs, etc. Their tables should have been back a few more feet from the trail, it was a bit of a mess.

Falls Church: terrifying. There were some kind of bells or cymbals that I heard from quite a way off, and tried to figure out what part of my bike was making that really weird sound. Thought my spokes were exploding. Then heard the vuvuzelas. There were a lot of people having a good time, but honestly the traffic cones in the middle of the trail were dangerous. Strong Bikenetic contingent. Croweded enough that I didn't actually stop. Also in a hurry to get to...

Ballston: as usual, the high point of BTWD. Much swag including drawing, bananas, bagels, good number of tables from random places, including an odd fruit gel gum drop tasting. DJ. Many many odd people and odd bikes. Much fun, and lots of space. Except for a few people committing the faux pas of actually riding their bike through the BTWD crowd. Like, really?

baiskeli
05-15-2015, 08:33 AM
Ballston: as usual, the high point of BTWD. Much swag including drawing, bananas, bagels, good number of tables from random places, including an odd fruit gel gum drop tasting. DJ. Many many odd people and odd bikes. Much fun, and lots of space. Except for a few people committing the faux pas of actually riding their bike through the BTWD crowd. Like, really?

I started at Ballston so I'll continue from there. The fruit drops were good - not too sweet (no added sugar). I grabbed their card - they come from thefitdecision.com. There was a lady in a sort of knight/viking costume riding a horse/unicycle. There was a DJ with pink hair. There was Tim Kelley.

Rosslyn: DBB and Steve O giving out t-shirts. REI fixing bikes. More free water bottles and bananas and bagels and coffee. Don Beyer, car dealer, was there on a bike.

Freedom Plaza: Ran into a newbie commuter! You can tell them from their brand new clean bikes. AAA was there pretending to like bikes. The sun came out. Politicians made speeches. Someone won a bike in the raffle - one digit off from my ticket. More free water bottles!

TwoWheelsDC
05-15-2015, 08:38 AM
EFC (where I was registered), didn't get set up until 7am, so that put me behind in my tour, but I caught up with Dismal there and we hit Ballston and Shirlington, where I won a BikeArlington jersey!

Dickie
05-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Rosslyn at 6:15 for Java shack coffee and some friendly faces, then Crystal city… not much going on.. grabbed a granola bar. The big win… Shirlington! Best Buns giving free pastries... and the good ones… got a Bacon Cheddar Scone and a Lemon/blueberry muffin + Phoenix had good swag as well… amazeballs! Ballston next for a bagel, some swag and a great contingent of the forum gang. EFC for a free U-Lock, Falls Church for half a donut but perhaps the most fun of all…. what a awesome bunch of folks! This is why Jan runs the best shop in town… GREAT people! Mosaic last for some headphones and a Starbucks gift card…. 24 miles, 7 stops and tons of fun!

Raymo853
05-15-2015, 08:54 AM
My memory total failed me and I ended up failing to find the one on M and the Coast Guard one. The time I wasted then got me to my one on Suitland as they were closing.

Was still thrilled to see many more folks than usual en route and more bikes in the the Census than I have ever seen by a large margin. Usually there are 3-4 (2 of them being mine), today there were about 15.

bobco85
05-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Started at Shirlington where I was treated to Best Buns (they had multiple selections, but I had their delicious cheddar bacon scone) and Copperwood Tavern (nice lemonade with the right amount of tang to it and mesquite seasoned popcorn which they serve at the restaurant instead of bread while you wait for your food).

Next stop was Penrose Square where the Acme Pie Co. cart was located. They had 5 different kinds of pies, I had 2 slices (one there and the other to-go) of the peach-blackberry, very nice :) I also grabbed an everything bagel.

My last stop was at Ballston where I had that gummy made of a combination of various dark blue/purple fruits (black currant, plum, and a bunch of others, tasted interesting but not bad).

EFC (where I was registered), didn't get set up until 7am, so that put me behind in my tour, but I caught up with Dismal there and we hit Ballston and Shirlington, where I won a BikeArlington jersey!
How did the jersey taste? (note: "like victory" is an acceptable answer)

dkel
05-15-2015, 08:58 AM
East Falls Church Metro: no swag unless you registered there. That was my best haul last year; this year was a waste of time.

Falls Church: got a massive cheer from Bikenetic! It was the highlight of my morning (possibly because I know all those guys). The cones in the trail were a bit of a hazard, but it did get people to slow down. I was surprised at how many people seemed stunned or afraid going through that noisy gauntlet, or didn't react at all. Whatever. I registered for that stop, so I got a shirt, but that's it! I suppose I could have taken a banana, but I had packed one from home, since they are going bad, and I did pay for them. Disappointing on the swag scale.

Merrifield: by 8:20, after I had gotten my kids to school, there was nothing left but chicken from the Panda Express station (which was the second best thing I got today :p). I probably could have gotten a water bottle, but it would have required giving over my contact information to something I'm not interested in (Gym membership? I ride a bike all the time to avoid that!).

Vienna: I rolled through without stopping, as the only "swag" to be had was coffee, and there wasn't even any of that left.

Admittedly I was late getting to Merrifield and Vienna, but really: this was a disappointing outing! I put extra panniers on my bike to carry all the swag for my whole family as we rode out together, and I definitely didn't need to use them. I really appreciated what Bikenetic was doing out there...that's about all I can say. :(

mstone
05-15-2015, 09:03 AM
The big win… Shirlington! Best Buns giving free pastries... and the good ones… got a Bacon Cheddar Scone and a Lemon/blueberry muffin + Phoenix had good swag as well… amazeballs!

I totally would have gone down to shirlington had I known that.

ShawnoftheDread
05-15-2015, 09:07 AM
The BA volunteer at Rosslyn was doing her best to enforce a one-ticket-per-day rule, rather than the time-honored one-per-stop. Seriously? It's like she's missing half the point of BTWD. Or at least a quarter of the point.

Phatboing
05-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Falls Church: got a massive cheer from Bikenetic! It was the highlight of my morning (possibly because I know all those guys). The cones in the trail were a bit of a hazard, but it did get people to slow down. I was surprised at how many people seemed stunned or afraid going through that noisy gauntlet, or didn't react at all. Whatever. I registered for that stop, so I got a shirt, but that's it! I suppose I could have taken a banana, but I had packed one from home, since they are going bad, and I did pay for them. Disappointing on the swag scale.

That was awesome! So awesome that my brain went "I must roll through this like a celebrity!".

Then I heard KayakCyndi complaining about my not stopping, and my brain went "oh yeah, I shoulda stopped. BUT YOU WERE CHEERING ME ON! Do the pros stop when cheered on by crazies with vuvuzelas? No. They revel in the attention, meet the quota of low-fives, and they soldier on. Stopping is just poor form."

The Tysons pitstop was sad in terms of turnout, but we got us some lights, oranges, and granola bars, with plenty left over. There was also a really loud singer, singing into a really loud microphone attached to really loud speakers. Conversations were impossible, and we couldn't hang out for more than a few.

dkel
05-15-2015, 09:16 AM
There was also a really loud singer, singing into a really loud microphone attached to really loud speakers. Conversations were impossible, and we couldn't hang out for more than a few.

What?

Emm
05-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Del Ray @6:30 AM had warm cookies from The Happy Tart--a gluten free bake shop that I ADORE (even though I can eat gluten). This was the best start of the day EVER, and the Velocity staff handed me a chain cleaning tool for wearing pink, so that was a total win. I had some coffee and powerade too and snagged a water bottle.

Crystal City: Not much going on. Confirmation that I got a sweet crystal city jersey. I had a bagel and more coffee, and got my t-shirt. Met KWL, who I creeped up behind on Crystal Drive for the 2nd day this week (so I finally said hello vs being a total creeper).

Columbia Island: total fail.

Rosslyn: Nice and busy. Had more coffee and some kind bars and a banana. I skipped the bagels, which I regret a little right now since I'm hungry again. Got quietly handed a women's sleeveless jersey from the Diabetes Ride person. A little big, but I desperately need a sleeveless jersey this was a serious win. They also had the car free diet t-shirts in a size S this year, so that was a win since I really like the design. Also got some sweet bike arlington socks, and ~4 more water bottles, and a t-shirt for my fiance from Potomac Peddlers. And more coffee.

Freedom Plaza: more water bottles, random AAA light up stuff, snagged a a t-shirt for my fiance. And had more coffee. Person who won the bike was 2 raffle tickets after me, so I was sad :(

At work now, with more coffee thanks to my coworker. I'm almost shaking from the caffeine, I feel AWESOME.

And I now have 8 water bottles (which I'm slowly giving away at the office).

TwoWheelsDC
05-15-2015, 09:24 AM
How did the jersey taste? (note: "like victory" is an acceptable answer)

Like pure gold...the color of my winning ticket.

MattAune
05-15-2015, 09:27 AM
There were a lot of people having a good time, but honestly the traffic cones in the middle of the trail were dangerous.

Dread and I almost got in a fight with Officer Friendly from the falls church police department. Phil from bikentic moved the cones every time the office walked away. Hopefully there wasn't a wreck there.

ShawnoftheDread
05-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Nah, I just piled on after you almost got in a fight and told him that it will be on him when there's an accident.

Rockford10
05-15-2015, 09:41 AM
DKel has already mentioned most of the stops, but:

We also got a lecture from Officer Friendly, um.
I was promised U-Locks at EFC!! We've got some new bikes in the family that need locks!! #greedy
I received NO water bottles this year.

The Tysons stop was OK. I hit that close to 9:00 when the singer was wrapping up. They did have a photo booth, so I got a photo strip of my-bike-and-me. A little odd, but nice.

dkel
05-15-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm feeling massively gypped right now.

(No offense to any gypsies out there. :o )

baiskeli
05-15-2015, 09:46 AM

Are you going to post the pic you took of me behind your back?

TwoWheelsDC
05-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Are you going to post the pic you took of me behind your back?

Was actually shooting forward:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/15/ac8ca862e006fb3c869340d61dc1e8d7.jpg

dkel
05-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Dread and I almost got in a fight with Officer Friendly from the falls church police department. Phil from bikentic moved the cones every time the office walked away. Hopefully there wasn't a wreck there.

Having to swerve in order to get through a very narrow opening with constant two-way traffic is just bonkers. Half the people passing through veered around one side or the other just to avoid it (which was the safest thing to do).

hozn
05-15-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm feeling massively gypped right now.

(No offense to any gypsies out there. :o )

They would probably take bigger offense to being called gypsies in the first place! :)

Coincidentally, there was a woman that joined Kevin's 6am caravan (the only non-acquaintance-of-Kevin's) from Romania. I do not think she was Roma (Romani? I give up.), though. :)

Tim Kelley
05-15-2015, 10:10 AM
The BA volunteer at Rosslyn was doing her best to enforce a one-ticket-per-day rule, rather than the time-honored one-per-stop. Seriously? It's like she's missing half the point of BTWD. Or at least a quarter of the point.

Did you have a super greedy look in your eyes? :p

We're fine with folks taking from multiple stops, just as long as everyone gets a chance. But we've had people go through the line several times in the past when they didn't get a ticket color that they liked...

ShawnoftheDread
05-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Did you have a super greedy look in your eyes? :p

We're fine with folks taking from multiple stops, just as long as everyone gets a chance. But we've had people go through the line several times in the past when they didn't get a ticket color that they liked...

That was hunger, Tim, not greed. You charmed-life guys wouldn't understand.

CaseyKane50
05-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Carlyle had Oatmeal from Potbelly Sandwich Shop

Alexandria City Hall had donuts from Sugar Shack

Del Ray tasty lemon cookie from Happy Tart

Crystal City passed on the food, secured my jersey

Columbia Island nothing

Roselyn won a nice pair of BA sunglasses, no food

Shirlington a very good cup of cup and lemon blueberry muffin from Best Buns

But the best swag of all was the 2015 Arlington bike map I picked up at the Carlyle stop.

On my ride from Crystal City to Columbia Island Marina I encountered two riders on Cabi bikes stopped on Boundary Channel Drive. They were first time riders for Bike-to-Work day. I asked them if they could use some directional help. They replied that they were trying to get to Memorial Bridge. I gave them directions and started on my way. As I was riding away I realized that I had a map that would be of help to them. I stopped and gave them my new map and showed them the route to take. They were ecstatic to have gotten help and said I was a true "bike ambassador".

DCLiz
05-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Eastern Market: Quite the line to check in. Had my bike evaluated by City Bikes, who diagnosed an out-of-true wheel - only costs around $12 at the shop to fix. Took advantage of their floor pump, which is SO. MUCH. EASIER. than mine to use. Delicious iced (and also hot) coffee from Peregrine - WIN! Another girl snagged the last Capital Bikeshare seat cover off the table just as I got there, which made me sad until later (keep reading!)

U.S. Capitol (not a pit stop): Grounds were closed ... lots of cyclists trying to navigate on the street to get around it. A hearty THANK YOU to the car with Maryland (!!) plates that let me cross in front of him/her when I found myself in the wrong lane on Constitution trying to get into the Penn Avenue bike lanes. I signaled my desperation to get over, but wasn't sure s/he would stop, but they gently honked to let me through.

Freedom Plaza: Missed out on the raffle (not sure where they were handing out tickets). But got jar openers from AAA ("Are you a member?" "No, I have Better World Club") and a snazzy "I Love Farmers Market" bike bumper sticker from FreshFarms.

National Geographic: This has become my favorite downtown pit stop. #1 It's National Geographic! That. Is. Awesome. #2 Last year's deluge? No problem, we'll just move inside our giant cafeteria. #3 Rolling raffles throughout the morning. One of these years I'm going to win a jersey. #4 Good swag! Got a nifty screen cleaner from TapIt Metro DC (which finally has an app!), added to my water bottle collection, and ... got one of those bikeshare seat covers from GoDCGo!!! Also lots o' fruit, fruit juices, and granola bars.

worktheweb
05-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Alexandria: I got there on the early shift. Misha's coffee was delicious as were the Sugar Shack Donuts. Got some maps from LocalMotion's setup and chatted with the reps from WABA.

Crystal City: Some more folks out, although less in the way of tables with info. Picked up a half banana and Corner Bakery Coffee (not quite as good as Misha's, but still good) and got back on the trail.

Freedom Plaza: Lots of tables and people, more Corner Bakery coffee and bananas. Got my registered-for t-shirt as well as some other swag. Saw Jon from the forum, got to chat with Greg Billing of WABA, and talked with Congressman Earl Blumenauer. For the latter two, I talked about plowing the MVT. Both agree it would be good, Greg has a meeting next week with the GWP folks and plans on bringing it up (fingers crossed). I also saw Chairman Mendelson speak and failed to win the new bike and other prizes from BicycleSpace.

My firm: had a mini-BTWD welcome station by the garage with fruit (already had my fill from the other stops) and water, which I happily drank.

All in all another fun BTWD in the books.

Tania
05-15-2015, 10:27 AM
I'd just be echoing what everyone else has written here about Mosaic, Merrifield, WFC, EFC and Ballston.

Thanks to Matt, Dread and Boomer for riding in with me and then thanks to Dickie for the company on the way back west and for suggesting we stop at EFC (u-lock!!).

(The Bikenetic crew really are crazy. And...boisterous.)

Adding a thanks to Brian from Bikenetic for fixing my cross chaining. Now I'll be as silent as a leaf on the wind.

americancyclo
05-15-2015, 10:28 AM
I was happy to have a convoy this year. We got to the Bikenetic stop in time for the 7am "noise allowed" time which was great. the vuvuzela gauntlet was super fun to ride through and two convoy members got introduced to the shop, which I think is a big win for everyone.

I got the Willy Wonka golden ticket at Rosslyn and scored a sweet new helmet to replace one of my 10 year old ones that i should have replaced years ago.
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/e15/11251740_703831856412163_1626657831_n.jpg

lots of friendly faces at all the pitstops. felt great to have such nice weather and see so many bike friends.

mstone
05-15-2015, 10:32 AM

Wait, Barney Fife put those there? I'd assumed it was the Bikenetic guys being overly zealous. If it was little loudoun once again showing its "love" for cyclists it makes more sense.

mstone
05-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Having to swerve in order to get through a very narrow opening with constant two-way traffic is just bonkers. Half the people passing through veered around one side or the other just to avoid it (which was the safest thing to do).

Yes, I rode through the grass.

vvill
05-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Wait, Barney Fife put those there? I'd assumed it was the Bikenetic guys being overly zealous. If it was little loudoun once again showing its "love" for cyclists it makes more sense.

Definitely not Bikenetic. The officer got annoyed and kept moving them back several (many?) times.

PotomacCyclist
05-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Crystal City: I only had half of a whole-grain bagel and water. I picked up a coupon for a free sandwich at Potbelly. I didn't stay long because I wanted to check out more than one pit stop this year.

Columbia Island Marina: Definitely a fail. (If they have a free afternoon happy hour, then all could be forgiven. Except that my stomach has been giving me issues, so I shouldn't drink any beer this week.)

Rosslyn: I stopped in too many times to take pictures along the way that I didn't have much time left. I didn't grab any of the food. I saw the two entertainers on the super-tall unicycle and the one-foot tricycle. I saw the prize tables but I didn't know if you had to be registered for Rosslyn to get a ticket. I wasn't, so I didn't bother with it.

Georgetown: I arrived after they were officially closed, but they were still there. The food was all gone, which is understandable, given that their event had officially ended. There were only a few tents there. I didn't see what groups were represented, other than the Revolution Cycles bike maintenance tent.

I rode to downtown, but it was after 9 am already, so I didn't bother to check the other pit stops, like Farragut Square, Golden Triangle, National Geographic or Freedom Plaza. Next year, I'll have to check out some of those locations.

I took photos along the way, even at the non-pit stop at the Columbia Island Marina.

komorebi
05-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Alexandria City Hall had donuts from Sugar Shack

Sugar Shack was out of donuts by the time I got to the City Hall pit stop, but the guy at the table said that they'll be giving out a free donut to anybody who bikes to their store today. I know where I'll be stopping on the way home!

Phatboing
05-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Definitely not Bikenetic. The officer got annoyed and kept moving them back several (many?) times.

Wot.

To what end? Prove by any means necessary that cycling is unsafe?

mstone
05-15-2015, 11:32 AM

Hey at least he wasn't ticketing people the way he was for BTWD 2013...

Pete C
05-15-2015, 11:36 AM
I reverse commuted from H Street/Trinidad area to White Flint.

Concur with DCLiz - Capitol was bonkers. I was really early (5:15 AMish), so I could just ride wherever, but still had to weave between barriers and hop over some steps/curbs.
Too early for G-Town, not even sure where it was supposed to be.
Bethesda was just setting up when I rode by.
White Flint had donuts and coffee. The poncho made me chuckle.

DanB
05-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Congrats! I also got a golden ticket at Rosslyn and snagged the last medium BA jersey they had. Thanks, BikeArlington! (I hope it fits... I just looked and see that the only other jersey I have is a large. Hmmm.) I've been wearing the same jersey since I rode an MS150 ride back in 2003.

This was the second year I couldn't find the EFC pit stop. I'm beginning to question my sanity... or my vision. Around 7:15 I rode Sycamore St. from the trail under I-66 up past Washington Blvd, and I didn't even see anyone setting up. Can anyone hazard a guess at what happened??

I'm glad Bikenetic is getting so much love on this thread. They deserve it for showing up in force. Probably should have tried the graham cracker cookies, but I had just downed a bagel from Merrifield. Thanks for offering them anyway!

Other edibles: Clif Shots from Performance at Merrifield (for another day), great coffee at Rosslyn, good mini cupcakes at Georgetown (but I wasn't sure if the little decorative disc on top was plastic--ate it anyway), and the mango fruit juice at National Geographic was very thick and tasty.

DanB
05-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Hey at least he wasn't ticketing people the way he was for BTWD 2013...

One of the Bikenetic gang did tell me that he was stopping bikers for things like wearing headphones ...

PotomacCyclist
05-15-2015, 12:01 PM
The Georgetown stop was in the Waterfront Park, at the foot of Wisconsin Ave.

eminva
05-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Visited seven pit stops and saw too many forum friends to list. It was great!

On behalf of my son I'm sorry we rolled through Dunn Loring too early to get Chinese food. That was his only pit stop before the turn off for high school. He got a bagel, however (to supplement the two veggie burgers he ate at home . . . did I mention his new bike is a size XL Cannondale Quick???).

Otherwise a big thumbs up for the volunteers, entertainment and food, especially the Shirlington grub. Thanks, Best Buns!

Got less swag than last year, which is fine -- owing to the much improved weather, there were a lot more folks to share it with. Hopefully some newbies got some stuff they can put to good use.

However, I didn't see too many patch kits. I was hoping to snag a few for the Boy Scouts I'm training this year. Anyone have a line on where I can get a half dozen or so cheap/free patch kits? Thanks.

Thanks again, everyone. Have an enjoyable ride home!

Liz

dkel
05-15-2015, 12:20 PM

He's a bicycle cop, BTW. Not kidding; I see him all over Falls Church City.

schvin
05-15-2015, 12:38 PM
great thread. was at the Bikenetic stop and had a blast. very entertaining to watch the variation of expressions as people came through the gauntlet.

one other thing that I don't think has been mentioned here yet were the clever chalk treats scattered around Arlington. highly entertaining, especially at the early hour. perfect for newbies too.

Phatboing
05-15-2015, 03:02 PM

I think I've only seen a Falls Church bike cop once, telling off a driver at the WOD+Grove intersection.

My brain just borked.

Vicegrip
05-15-2015, 08:37 PM
One of the Bikenetic gang did tell me that he was stopping bikers for things like wearing headphones ...
He was not all warm and fuzzy when I put the full frame LED lights on red/blue flash and out illumined his gov. issue ride.

The traffic calming cones were, um.... "something"

Bike K gang rocked the happy today.

dcv
05-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Giving out free cheers at Falls Church

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Bike-to-Work-Day-Midday_Washington-DC-303900051.html

trout
05-16-2015, 09:33 AM

THANKS everybody for the good words about the Bikenetic crew! It was so great to see all the different reactions people had coming through, from THIS IS AWESOME BECAUSE I AM AWESOME to O god just let it be over quickly.

One clarification on the cones: The shop is on good terms with City police and wants to stay that way, so I just wanted to note here that nobody from the shop itself moved any cones. A couple of us from the team did at various points because of the obvious hazard they posed. I moved them once but the officer moved them back, telling me he wanted to force cyclists to stop. I told him this was creating a hazard but he insisted that he wanted cyclists to stop. So I relented. I know there were other cyclists coming through that had some heated discussion with the officer (none from the shop or the team, that I know of). And I know that cyclists themselves knocked the cones apart when they were coming through--trailers, for example couldn't pass through without hitting the cones! This definitely needs to be addressed before next year.....

mstone
05-16-2015, 10:13 AM
I look forward to officer Fife putting cones in the travel lanes on the street to slow down the cars, because this is obviously a brilliantly planned and ingenuous way to manage traffic, and the program should be expanded. Broad, Grove, and West could all use this innovative treatment, and I thank the department for finally taking safety seriously by putting cones on all the roads.

KWL
05-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Crystal City passed on the food, secured my jersey...So I assume there are a whole bunch of us getting together at the June 3rd Blues & Brews to pick up our jerseys. There was mention of a free drink as well. I hope they didn't mean water.

MattAune
05-17-2015, 10:56 AM
One clarification on the cones: The shop is on good terms with City police and wants to stay that way, so I just wanted to note here that nobody from the shop itself moved any cones.

Didn't mean to imply that anyone actually employed by the shop were responsible.

I will take full responsibility for moving cones, and getting into a pretty heated argument with the cop. He was a complete ass hole.

ShawnoftheDread
05-17-2015, 12:32 PM
I got a whole pizza as the Falls Church stop closed for the evening. Thanks Jan and Helen. It actually survived the ride home on my back.

dkel
05-17-2015, 01:04 PM
I got a whole pizza as the Falls Church stop closed for the evening. Thanks Jan and Helen. It actually survived the ride home on my back.

But ended up tasting like back sweat. :eek:

ShawnoftheDread
05-17-2015, 01:11 PM
I strapped the box under the flap of my backpack.

Steve O
05-17-2015, 01:49 PM
I strapped the box under the flap of my backpack.

I am impressed. The one time I tried transporting a pizza on my bike all the cheese slid off onto one end. And then it bunched up. It just wasn't the same after I tried to redistribute it onto the crust.

cvcalhoun
05-17-2015, 03:23 PM
I am impressed. The one time I tried transporting a pizza on my bike all the cheese slid off onto one end. And then it bunched up. It just wasn't the same after I tried to redistribute it onto the crust.

I used to transport pizza on my bicycle all the time. I have large panniers on either side of the bike, with elastic bungee-type things on the flaps that cover them. I'd just put the pizza box on top of the rack, secure the sides with the elastic, and be on my way. The only issue was getting home from some of the farther stops before the pizza got cold. (Don't even ask why I was buying pizza in downtown DC to take home to Bethesda!)

MattAune
05-18-2015, 06:38 AM
It actually survived the ride home on my back.

It would have been easier to have brought it to happy hour.

ShawnoftheDread
05-18-2015, 08:37 AM
It would have been easier to have brought it to happy hour.

I was already well past happy hour, both geographically and mentally.

Terpfan
05-18-2015, 09:21 AM
I had a little bit of a latish start as my wife tagged along and we both decided to take the day off (I felt a little guilty even though I obviously bike to work on a regular basis).

OT: We did City Hall for a bit. I wanted to stick around to try win the raffle, but my wife wanted to see some other pit stops. We did get a $10 Spokes gift card each (since she rarely rides and I do her basic maintenance, that's $20 for me, yay!). They were out of Sugar Shack donuts though :(. We decided that would be our return leg.

Del Ray: We stopped by. It's not much, coffee, I think pastries, and the folks from Velocity who are awesome.

Shirlington: We went by here after my wife's one gym instructor told her they were giving away free socks. Unfortunately, we missed the socks. We enjoyed the lemonade, good pastries, and popcorn. This stop had the one guy on a unicycle doing some tricks. He looks so familiar and I swore I've met him at a BA-type event before. The farm-to-table restaurant folks also gave us a $10 gift card, so that rocked.

And then on the return leg, we stopped by Sugar Shack and got our free donuts. I had been meaning to try their donuts, but every weekend day I went the line was so long that I gave up. There was little line on a Friday at 10:30 am and the donuts were delicious.

americancyclo
05-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Falls Church:There were a lot of people having a good time, but honestly the traffic cones in the middle of the trail were dangerous.

We also got a lecture from Officer Friendly, um.

Wait, Barney Fife put those there? If it was little loudoun once again showing its "love" for cyclists it makes more sense.

Wot.

I think I've only seen a Falls Church bike cop once, telling off a driver at the WOD+Grove intersection.

My brain just borked.

The traffic calming cones were, um.... "something"

One clarification on the cones: The shop is on good terms with City police and wants to stay that way, so I just wanted to note here that nobody from the shop itself moved any cones. A couple of us from the team did at various points because of the obvious hazard they posed. I moved them once but the officer moved them back, telling me he wanted to force cyclists to stop. I told him this was creating a hazard but he insisted that he wanted cyclists to stop. So I relented. I know there were other cyclists coming through that had some heated discussion with the officer (none from the shop or the team, that I know of). And I know that cyclists themselves knocked the cones apart when they were coming through--trailers, for example couldn't pass through without hitting the cones! This definitely needs to be addressed before next year.....

I look forward to officer Fife putting cones in the travel lanes on the street to slow down the cars, because this is obviously a brilliantly planned and ingenuous way to manage traffic, and the program should be expanded. Broad, Grove, and West could all use this innovative treatment, and I thank the department for finally taking safety seriously by putting cones on all the roads.

Didn't mean to imply that anyone actually employed by the shop were responsible.

I will take full responsibility for moving cones, and getting into a pretty heated argument with the cop. He was a complete ass hole.

I spoke with the officer during the evening about the hazard he was introducing to the trail users. He didn't think my idea of placing the cones in the street to slow down cars was a good suggestion. He was focused on getting bicycles to stop is the safest thing. I think his intentions are good, but his action are misguided.

The NVRPA asks people on the W&OD to:
Prepare
Be Aware
Show You Care

I took a picture and sent it to the NVRPA to see how they felt about nine cones obstructing road crossings on their trail.

Karl-

I was curious if NVRPA had an official stance on Falls Church City obstructing the the W&OD trail with up to nine cones on one of the busiest trail days of the year.

I'm "Showing I Care" by: reporting this dangerous trail situations to the trail office.

It also seems that the Falls Church Police were not "Showing they Care" by violating you advice:

Do not block the trail when stopped. Move all equipment to the side, away from traffic.

https://instagram.com/p/2t2yzSg3wq/?taken-by=americancyclo

The nearest working trail counter in Arlington shows 3523 trail users.

Speaking to the Pit Stop Sponsors, the trail traffic was flowing smoothly until the police officer arrived and obstructed the trail with the cones in the guise of 'safety'

Is there an official endorsement of this practice?
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/e15/11243875_1429468514029490_904042130_n.jpg

And I got this response by email:

Thank you for the picture; yes that would seem to be an issue with the nine cones in the flow of trail traffic. Let me contact City of Falls Church police on this matter and see what the reasoning was. I was at the Herndon location with no issues. I will report back my findings to you in the next day or so hopefully.

Karl Mohle, CPRP
Park Manager
W&OD Railroad Regional Park
21293 Smiths Switch Road
Ashburn, VA 20147

Terpfan
05-19-2015, 11:13 AM
After seeing the photo, wow, what a dick. I would have thrown his cones off the trail and happily taken whatever nonsense ticket he would write.

DanB
05-19-2015, 11:20 AM
If the cones show up again, maybe someone needs to pull a Casey Neistat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

dkel
05-19-2015, 11:21 AM
I was there, and thought it was bonkers. Now, days later, I saw the pic above and literally laughed out loud: it's a veritable sea of cones! Visually, it's really difficult to discern what is happening, and I'm now recalling that's the problem I had as I was approaching--even slowly. Sheesh!

mstone
05-19-2015, 01:27 PM
After seeing the photo, wow, what a dick. I would have thrown his cones off the trail and happily taken whatever nonsense ticket he would write.

Yup, this isn't just whining, it really was a ridiculous and stupendously stupid move. There were actually two groups of cones like that, the picture shows only one of them. As I wrote above, can you imagine him making an obstacle course like that for cars? (Well, the cars would just run over them, but that's not the point.)

americancyclo
05-22-2015, 01:57 PM
I received the following email in response to my communication with NVRPA.

I am in receipt of your email to the WO&D Trail Director & Park Manager Karl Mohle regarding the placement of cones on the WO&D Trail for Bike to Work Day on Wednesday, May 15.
(image)
As you stated in your email the Falls Church Police Department did put cones on the trail near the stop sign regulating the intersection of the WO&D Trail @ Grove Ave (on May 15) as a means of slowing down the cyclist traffic flow through the small celebratory stop designated on Bike to Work day. The cones were put there as a measure of warning and to slow cyclists from speeding through the stop sign and through the pathway (Grove Ave) where a number of City workers, tents, supporters, news reporters, stopped cyclists and community members had gathered. The method in which the cones where laid out was changed as the day evolved but the intention was to slow the cyclists because as you can imagine, commuters (in a car or bike) can hyper-focus on time and efficient of a crossing and not expect a community supporter and/or other cyclist to suddenly stop or walk out in front of them mistakenly.

As an avid trail Runner/Cyclist I support the Bike to Work Day events and community support. As a Chief of Police I also error on the side of safety and caution when it comes to trail safety, the safety of all the surrounding supporters at that festive stop outweighed the inconvenience of slowing a commuting cyclist on that specific day at that specific time.

May 15 was a day of celebratory expression and fun for the WO&D Trail, the Park Authority, the Friends of the WO&D and the City workers who support ~You~ as a smart commuter. The WO&D is the crown jewel of our Regional Parks and the Little City. We behold the WO&D Trail, its creators, supporters and workers as one of the City’s greatest assets and the backbones for our day to day commuters on foot and cycle. The slowing down of the cyclist traffic was intentional to avoid a collision and injury. Again the layout of the cones was intentional yet the formation did changed to accommodate the goal of calming speed and ensuring safety.

I welcome your comments and I hope you always feel free to communicate your needs as a commuter of the trail. I meet regularly with advocates for the trail and we discuss safety each and every time, I welcome all and each comment.

Thank you for your time.

Mary Gavin
Chief of Police
City of Falls Church Police Department
300 Park Ave
Falls Church, VA 22046
703 248 5069 (tel:703%20248%205069)

dkel
05-22-2015, 02:09 PM
This response seems to miss the point of the complaint entirely: the decision to deploy cones to slow traffic was not the problem; the way that those cones forced two-way traffic into a confusing single-lane, head-on interaction is the problem. I'm stunned!

ShawnoftheDread
05-22-2015, 02:31 PM
You're stunned that a bureaucrat would simply repeat her agency's original justification of its actions in response to public complaints about those actions?

I'm stunned that you're stunned.

Steve O
05-22-2015, 02:32 PM
The City "beholds" the W&OD so much that the Chief of Police does not even know what it is called.

Perhaps some best practices could be shared. I believe 78 other pit stops somehow managed to safely organize the flow of cyclists to, from and through. Maybe Falls Church could learn from them how they did it.

rcannon100
05-22-2015, 02:38 PM
We should probably start a new thread - and let DBB craft this - but I believe we should start something along the lines of the "Orange Cone' award for truly moronic transportation behavior. Or better yet, it can be like the stanely cup, where the names of the winners continue to be added to the sacred cone. Could be a grand competition.

We could even make a golden sproket award for ELITE behavior.

I'm stunned that you're stunned that he is stunned!

dkel
05-22-2015, 02:39 PM
You're stunned that a bureaucrat would simply repeat her agency's original justification of its actions in response to public complaints about those actions?

I'm stunned they thought I wouldn't see through it.

americancyclo
05-22-2015, 02:49 PM
We should probably start a new thread

this seems like a good one!

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?1308-W-amp-OD-in-Falls-Church-Chock-full-of-coney-goodness

chris_s
05-14-2016, 09:50 PM
For those trying to decide which pit stops to hit in 2016, I present this thread of "tasting notes" about pit stops in 2015.

Tim Kelley
05-16-2016, 08:25 AM
For those trying to decide which pit stops to hit in 2016, I present this thread of "tasting notes" about pit stops in 2015.

A few highlights of Arlington stops:

Rosslyn has District Taco, a smile booth, giant connect-4, and a congressman.

Ballston has Giant Jenga and tic-tac-toe, and probably some of the best prizes

Shirlington has the smoothie bike, Best Buns, and inflatable bowling.

Columbia Pike has both Sugar Shack and Acme Pie.

Then there are the two afternoon spots at Heavy Seas (where you can win a couple bikes for free) and the Shirlingotn New District stop where we're giving away pint glasses.

ShawnoftheDread
05-16-2016, 09:19 AM
Is DT worth dealing with a congressman? Especially one who's a car peddler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Kelley
05-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Is DT worth dealing with a congressman? Especially one who's a car peddler?

Beyer has actually been quite helpful when it comes to congressional bicycle matters.

Also, DCVelo is sponsored by Beyer: http://www.dcvelo.com/

huskerdont
05-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Beyer has actually been quite helpful when it comes to congressional bicycle matters.

Also, DCVelo is sponsored by Beyer: http://www.dcvelo.com/

Also, as car peddlers go, they're much less dicky than, say, Browns or Page. At least in my experience at the Subaru dealer.

Might mean nothing, but I tend to think that the dealership would reflect the owner. Also, he's pretty much behind fighting climate change.

ShawnoftheDread
05-16-2016, 09:38 AM
So you're both saying that District Taco will not be worth the gaseous emissions of a congressman?

Or am I reading that wrong?

chris_s
05-16-2016, 09:42 AM
Heavy Seas apparently also has hashbrowns.

huskerdont
05-16-2016, 09:48 AM
So you're both saying that District Taco will not be worth the gaseous emissions of a congressman?

Or am I reading that wrong?

In my experience, they're easy to spot and avoid. Only one time did I fail to do so, and that was when I was dating a staffer.

Last year at Rosslyn I scored a Portland Bike Works bottle cage in the shape of a bird. I enjoy that that pig far more than one should enjoy something so superfluous.

ShawnoftheDread
05-16-2016, 09:56 AM
In my experience, they're easy to spot and avoid. Only one time did I fail to do so, and that was when I was dating a staffer.

Last year at Rosslyn I scored a Portland Bike Works bottle cage in the shape of a bird. I enjoy that that pig far more than one should enjoy something so superfluous.

My daughter has that cage; she loves it. Courtesy of eminva.

Steve O
05-16-2016, 10:40 AM

For historians and archaeologists, Ballston will also have my annual display of BTWD t-shirts dating back to 2002.
Here they are at the 2013 BTWD

dbb
05-18-2016, 02:22 PM
A few highlights of Arlington stops:

Giant Jenga? Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWc8dUl7Xfo

dasgeh
05-19-2016, 10:39 AM
For historians and archaeologists, Ballston will also have my annual display of BTWD t-shirts dating back to 2002.
Here they are at the 2013 BTWD

Dude, next year really should be pink.

mstone
05-19-2016, 11:06 AM

2014 was a ghastly salmon color, if that helps

chris_s
05-19-2016, 11:13 AM

I vote maroon.

DanB
05-19-2016, 11:22 AM

Orange ya glad ya got a T-shirt last year?

mstone
05-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Orange ya glad ya got a T-shirt last year?

I liked the 2015 orange one, it's hella bright.

bentbike33
05-19-2016, 01:56 PM

I always considered the the 2014 BTWD shirt to be burnt umber.

If I were served salmon of that color however, I would also consider it ghastly.

huskerdont
05-19-2016, 02:08 PM
I always considered the the 2014 BTWD shirt to be burnt umber.

Though I called it orange, I believe you are correct and it wasn't really. I generally like orange for bike stuff, if this is orange:

Mariner
05-31-2016, 02:35 PM
I always end up with tee too small for me, so I pass them on to the missus, and lord knows what she does with them! :cool: