PDA

View Full Version : Almost hit by a truck -- on the W&OD!!!!!!

StopMeansStop
06-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Today at 5:30 pm I was entering the W&OD from 9th St. 9th St has a steep hill to the entrance, so Im pretty careful about looking for traffic from both sides. You can see traffic coming from the left easily, and from the right you have some blind spots. However any trail speed traffic is easily detectable.

As I entered I had to swerve off the trail because a huge box truck pulling lights was moving down the trail in my direction. He was goiing at least 25 mph -- and talking on his cell phone!!!!

After I collected myself I caught up to him at the intersection with Columbia Pike. I didn't feel like getting into a conafrontation, so I whipped out my camera and got his truck # with the "how's my driving #". Unfortunately I only got a partial of his license plate. I then turned back west to continue on my way and saw another truck and I stopped him and asked for his foreman. He wasn't around. I asked if they worked for the county and he said no.

Any suggestions on where I can report this? I'm pretty steamed about this. Watching out for cars on the streets is one thing, but to have this careless attitude on a busy trail at a busy time of day is just unfathomable.

Oh, I was able to unclip easily and didn't fall.

OneEighth
06-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Sounds like you've got enough information there already to call both his employer and the authorities responsible for the trail. Could have been from the power company.
On the bright side, at least you now know that you've got that pedal-thing down.

FFX_Hinterlands
06-25-2011, 07:11 AM
I would call the trail office. I've reported vehicles on the trail before. They'll know the contractor.

Contact the W&OD Trail Office
Washington and Old Dominion Trail
21293 Smiths Switch Road
Ashburn, VA 20147-6016
phone: 703-729-0596
WOD@nvrpa.org

Contact the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority
Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority
5400 Ox Road
Fairfax Station, VA 22039
phone: 703-352-5900

StopMeansStop
06-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks FFX, that helps narrow things down.

CCrew
06-25-2011, 09:13 AM
I would call the trail office. I've reported vehicles on the trail before. They'll know the contractor.

Contact the W&OD Trail Office
Washington and Old Dominion Trail
21293 Smiths Switch Road
Ashburn, VA 20147-6016
phone: 703-729-0596
WOD@nvrpa.org

Contact the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority
Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority
5400 Ox Road
Fairfax Station, VA 22039
phone: 703-352-5900

A sticky somewhere on these boards with this kinds of contact info for the various authorities would be a killer resource. Thanks FFX

Joe Chapline
06-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Good idea, CCrew. I'll work on that next week if I can't get Tim to do it.

PotomacCyclist
06-25-2011, 02:43 PM
I hope you're able to track down the truck driver. That's a dangerous situation.

Last year I saw a police car on Four Mile Run Trail. The officer wasn't chasing anyone. He (or was it a she? - don't remember) appeared to look lost. He drove along the trail for quite a distance.

CCrew
06-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Last year I saw a police car on Four Mile Run Trail. The officer wasn't chasing anyone. He (or was it a she? - don't remember) appeared to look lost. He drove along the trail for quite a distance.

Oh, I see that all the time. Herndon, Fairfax and Vienna most often. I've gotten hassled now I think 5 times for being on the W&OD in the wee hours of the morning. Technically it's closed from dusk to dawn as are many others.

Fairfax these days is so used to seeing me they wave and say good morning. Vienna is getting better but I still have to break the new guys in.. Herndon generally needs an attitude adjustment. I've never had a bad dealing with the Arlington PD, see their motorcycle cops on the trails a lot.