PDA

View Full Version : Crystal City Bike to Work Week 2015

jpetty1
04-10-2015, 02:15 PM
For the 5th year the Crystal City BID will be hosting Bike to Work Week in the Crystal City Water Park from May 11-15. We will be onsite from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM each morning giving out free coffee and breakfast treats to all the riders. There will also be mechanics onsite Wed-Fri for any quick adjustments. Due to the growth of the program each year we have gone from the top 50 to the top 100 riders of the week will receive a Crystal City Cycling Jersey. Sign up online (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/btww15), or stop by and register onsite. We look forward to seeing you out there.

Liz
04-10-2015, 02:36 PM
For the 5th year the Crystal City BID will be hosting Bike to Work Week in the Crystal City Water Park from May 11-15. We will be onsite from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM each morning giving out free coffee and breakfast treats to all the riders. There will also be mechanics onsite Wed-Fri for any quick adjustments. Due to the growth of the program each year we have gone from the top 50 to the top 100 riders of the week will receive a Crystal City Cycling Jersey. Sign up online (https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/btww15), or stop by and register onsite. We look forward to seeing you out there.

I think it's great that Crystal City is doing this. It just stinks for Crystal City residents who don't work in the area. I live in Crystal City and I like it a lot, but I leave between 6 and 6:30 so I can make it in to work with enough time to eat, shower and get to my desk by 8:30. Is there any way that BID would be able to open earlier to catch Crystal City bike commuters who bike out rather than bike in? The neighborhood is already significantly better for those employed in the area with mid-day activities and the majority of businesses closing between 5 and 6 (ex: I've never seen the corner bakery cafe open before, and it's directly below my apartment building). Please do more for Crystal City residents as well as Crystal City employers.

Thank you!

A Crystal City resident and avid cyclist.

Sunyata
04-13-2015, 07:24 AM
I live in Crystal City and I like it a lot, but I leave between 6 and 6:30 so I can make it in to work with enough time to eat, shower and get to my desk by 8:30. Is there any way that BID would be able to open earlier to catch Crystal City bike commuters who bike out rather than bike in? The neighborhood is already significantly better for those employed in the area with mid-day activities and the majority of businesses closing between 5 and 6 (ex: I've never seen the corner bakery cafe open before, and it's directly below my apartment building). Please do more for Crystal City residents as well as Crystal City employers.

+1 to this.

Even though I do not live in Crystal City, I live pretty close by (Fairlington) and would love to be able to do the bike to work week there. However, I have an early job (my shift starts at 7). It would be awesome if they could open things up at 6 for the early birds. :)

Emm
04-13-2015, 07:27 AM
Yay! I moved to Alexandria and now can incorporate this into my commute--I was really jealous last year seeing all the photos everyone shared.

I may even bike over on my telework day just for the coffee and bagels...

Terpfan
04-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Food and coffee every morning? Ha, I will make it there, especially since my conference finishes up a solid two weeks beforehand this year rather than the week beforehand.

KWL
04-13-2015, 02:55 PM
A chance to win a jersey? And free food. Heck yeah, I'll be there every day around 7:10am. Look for the guy who keeps getting fatter as the week progresses.

creadinger
04-20-2015, 12:52 PM
I think it's great that Crystal City is doing this. It just stinks for Crystal City residents who don't work in the area. I live in Crystal City and I like it a lot, but I leave between 6 and 6:30 so I can make it in to work with enough time to eat, shower and get to my desk by 8:30. Is there any way that BID would be able to open earlier to catch Crystal City bike commuters who bike out rather than bike in? The neighborhood is already significantly better for those employed in the area with mid-day activities and the majority of businesses closing between 5 and 6 (ex: I've never seen the corner bakery cafe open before, and it's directly below my apartment building). Please do more for Crystal City residents as well as Crystal City employers.

Thank you!

A Crystal City resident and avid cyclist.

Thanks for speaking up. I won't be stopping either. I leave Del Ray by ~6:20 to get to Suitland by 7:30. It's like all the Friday coffee clubs around here starting at 730-8am. Do people even work on Fridays or what?

wheels&wings
04-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Sorry you will miss it… I feel your pain, having missed BTWD for 8 years because my shift started at 5 a.m. I feel lucky to be working later hours now.
I expect it’s tricky to find BTWD volunteers to work so early, since we’re all so sleep-deprived. Actually it’s probably a challenge to find volunteers for the late shift, too, since we’ve all got to get to work!

cvcalhoun
04-22-2015, 12:24 PM
It just stinks for Crystal City residents who don't work in the area.

Alas, it stinks for all of us who don't work in the area, whether or not we live there. I really wish there were more than just the one location that had a week long pit stop. But I do understand it's hard to get volunteers/swag/prizes/etc.

PotomacCyclist
04-22-2015, 12:49 PM
The Crystal City BID runs the week-long bike promotion. Other BIDs in the region could do something similar. I know that in Arlington, there are also BIDs in Rosslyn and in Ballston. There are nine BIDs in DC. I don't know if there are BIDs or Community Improvement Districts in Alexandria, Fairfax or Maryland.

Residents or workers in those BID areas could contact the local BID and suggest that they follow CCBID's lead. A week-long promotion might not make sense in some areas, but it could in others, such as Downtown DC or the Golden Triangle (Connecticut Ave., Dupont Circle, Farragut Square, Pennsylvania Ave., K St NW).

http://dslbd.dc.gov/service/business-improvement-districts-bids

While many or most of the BIDs are bike-friendly, I don't think any of them are quite as supportive of cycling as the CCBID is (the 1st Capital Bikeshare stations, Air Force Ass'n Cycling Classic/Challenge Ride, Phoenix Derby, Wednesday Night Spins, Bike to Work Week).

Terpfan
05-10-2015, 06:57 PM
So this starts tomorrow, right? I will drop by hoping there is a bagel there. And if I get my butt out of bed early enough, maybe some coffee too.

Emm
05-11-2015, 08:37 AM
So this starts tomorrow, right? I will drop by hoping there is a bagel there. And if I get my butt out of bed early enough, maybe some coffee too.

Yup, it started. I got my 25% of a bagel and some coffee, along with a bike arlington light (this one in white, so it actually matches my bike for once). The jersey they're giving away this year is pretty cool, so I'm hoping I can make it there every day and win one.

CaseyKane50
05-11-2015, 09:53 AM
I got there around 7:45, there were 30 registered riders at that time. In addition to the light, I got a tire patch kit, a cup of coffee and a banana.

americancyclo
05-11-2015, 10:42 AM
I saw dbb when i arrived, and was followed quickly by oneEighth, subby, and vvill. Nice crew to share some coffee and laughs before work.

615 caravan leaving falls church tomorrow, but I can't stay much past 710 at CC.

kwarkentien
05-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Haven't been on the forum in a while so I had missed this. I guess I know where I'll be stopping tomorrow on my way in to work.

KWL
05-11-2015, 11:32 AM
I was there around 7:15. The food was pretty good (warm muffin!) and the light, tire patch kit and lighted arm/leg band much appreciated.

To make a game of it, I'm going to see how many different routes I can take from the Water Park to Georgetown. Monday was boringly via the MVT, my usually route.

dbb
05-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Now this is a real One-Eighth sighting!

Thanks to the Crystal City BID for BTWW

OneEighth
05-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Breakfast number one...
And I really am a lot shorter than americancyclo.

Steve O
05-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Man, I really want to do this, but this week is tough. Tomorrow's my only opportunity...maybe.
If I do go, I won't be there early enough to catch many of you, but hopefully I'll see someone.

Oh, and how will I recognize 1/8th if he's there?

dbb
05-11-2015, 01:53 PM

He will be the guy (pick one) hiding behind a bagel or sporting a new dough mustache!

americancyclo
05-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Breakfast number one...
And I really am a lot shorter than americancyclo.

sometimes i slouch when i caffeinate

ShawnoftheDread
05-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Man, I really want to do this, but this week is tough. Tomorrow's my only opportunity...maybe.
If I do go, I won't be there early enough to catch many of you, but hopefully I'll see someone.

He'll be the guy on a fixie who doesn't have facial hair.

DismalScientist
05-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Aww... I was planning on shaving tomorrow. I have meetings, you know.:(

OneEighth
05-11-2015, 06:17 PM
I'll have you all know that the stache is still there.
It's just very, very short.

Terpfan
05-12-2015, 04:03 AM
Well, im not winning a jersey this. Woke in pain and am close to being discharged i hope. Stupid gallbladder.

Dickie
05-12-2015, 07:01 AM
Two days in a row and I'm too early for the pitstop…. boo! Doesn't anybody work normal hours in this town?

Dickie
05-12-2015, 07:04 AM
Well, im not winning a jersey this. Woke in pain and am close to being discharged i hope. Stupid gallbladder.

Hope you feel better soon! Gallbladders are over-rated anyway…plus, you're a few ounces lighter now as well!

Steve O
05-12-2015, 08:17 AM

Made it! Not sure if this should go in the Morning Commute thread or the One-Eighth Sighting thread...or all.

Had the pleasure of rolling all the way there with KayakC. Bunch of Forum buds there: Dirt (of course), sjclaeys, Mikey, eminva, lordofthemark, kwark, bilsko, vvill, edoardo (from Phoenix) + I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

See you Friday in Rosslyn I hope.

Emm
05-12-2015, 08:20 AM
They told me today that 108 people checked in yesterday. Now if only 8 of them drop off I can win a free jersey! Yay. Ideally none would drop off due to gallbladder pain though. Sorry Terpfan :(

rcannon100
05-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Two days in a row and I'm too early for the pitstop…. boo! Doesn't anybody work normal hours in this town?

Pretty much banker hours or librarian hours. (Which I guess makes it Shawn Hours?)

rcannon100
05-12-2015, 08:33 AM
I'll have you all know that the stache is still there.
It's just very, very short.

If its not filtering your beer, it aint there!

I'll be at CC tomorrow doing bike mechanics with Phoenix. For, um, a proper incentive, I could *cough* fix a few of the 108 bikes so they dont return tomorrow.

lordofthemark
05-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Made it! Not sure if this should go in the Morning Commute thread or the One-Eighth Sighting thread...or all.

Had the pleasure of rolling all the way there with KayakC. Bunch of Forum buds there: Dirt (of course), sjclaeys, Mikey, eminva, lordofthemark, kwark, bilsko, vvill, edoardo (from Phoenix) + I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

kwl was also there.

I am highly motivated by the jersey.

Hope Terpfan feels better soon.

americancyclo
05-12-2015, 09:10 AM
They told me today that 108 people checked in yesterday. Now if only 8 of them drop off I can win a free jersey! Yay. Ideally none would drop off due to gallbladder pain though. Sorry Terpfan :(

I'm out tomorrow, so you're one rider closer!

Pretty much banker hours or librarian hours. (Which I guess makes it Shawn Hours?)

IANALibrarian

Terpfan
05-12-2015, 09:22 AM
kwl was also there.

I am highly motivated by the jersey.

Hope Terpfan feels better soon.

Thanks. Despite my desire (once my stomach stopped feeling like I had been hit with a baseball bat) to ride, my doctor said not today--I suppose my decision-making was perhaps influenced by feeling better, which I think any iv with some meds in it will do for you. But after five hours there, nothing too major wrong so that was a relief. At least I'll be good for BTWD.

rcannon100
05-12-2015, 09:46 AM
IANALibrarian

What does your business card say???????

PotomacCyclist
05-12-2015, 09:49 AM
I made it there today. Some maintenance workers had the hatch open in the Water Park. It leads to the electronics and water pump equipment for the waterfalls. Sort of looks like a submarine down there. Maybe there actually is a submarine buried down there...

rcannon100
05-12-2015, 10:08 AM
I made it there today. Some maintenance workers had the hatch open in the Water Park. It leads to the electronics and water pump equipment for the waterfalls. Sort of looks like a submarine down there. Maybe there actually is a submarine buried down there...

At the end of WWII, with the conclusion of hostilities, but production lines operating at full, we had some, um, surplus. The torpedo factory was of course in Old Towne. Subs used to run up the Potomac to get their loads of armaments. When the war ended, there was still a few subs in old town - and no one wanted to sail them down the Potomac. So yes, they parked them around Washington D.C. and turned them into fountains. The Navy Memorial over near the Canadian embassy is also an old submarine.

americancyclo
05-12-2015, 10:40 AM

What does your business card say???????

I guess it's obvious you're a federal communicator. :p

KLizotte
05-12-2015, 10:54 AM
The Navy Memorial over near the Canadian embassy is also an old submarine.

Huh? I have lunch over at the Memorial all the time and don't see what you are referring to. Do you mean they melted the submarine for the memorial??

rcannon100
05-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Huh? I have lunch over at the Memorial all the time and don't see what you are referring to. Do you mean they melted the submarine for the memorial??

Nah. They used the submarine for the plumbing. Pretty much just parked the thing under the memorial, plugged in some pipes, and poof, instant water fountain. If you go in the little door on the East side of the fountain, you can see some of the original submarine parts.

rcannon100
05-12-2015, 11:14 AM
I guess it's obvious you're a federal communicator. :p

I just believe what I read on the Internet, Librarian.

PotomacCyclist
05-12-2015, 11:40 AM
At the end of WWII, with the conclusion of hostilities, but production lines operating at full, we had some, um, surplus. The torpedo factory was of course in Old Towne. Subs used to run up the Potomac to get their loads of armaments. When the war ended, there was still a few subs in old town - and no one wanted to sail them down the Potomac. So yes, they parked them around Washington D.C. and turned them into fountains. The Navy Memorial over near the Canadian embassy is also an old submarine.

The old Alexandria Canal used to run from Old Town North through present-day Arlington and over to Rosslyn and Georgetown. Much of Eads St. used to be part of this canal.

http://alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/historic/info/history/OHAHistoryCanal.pdf

The Canal Center in Old Town North includes a re-creation of one of the old locks. A pier from the old aqueduct, which carried canal traffic from Rosslyn to Georgetown and the C&O Canal, still exists, just off the Arlington shore at Key Bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/wzhU4

Steve O
05-12-2015, 07:53 PM

kwl was also there.

Oh yeah! Subby, too. Briefly. Great to see you all.

americancyclo
05-12-2015, 09:00 PM
More time for hangsies on Thursday. Someone eat a bagel for me tomorrow

rcannon100
05-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Folks! Folks, listen to me. It is Bike TO WORK day! We all need to cooperate and you people need to go TO WORK! Leave! Off with you!

More Pictures (hopefully link works) (https://www.facebook.com/rcannon100/posts/10200366482160980?notif_t=like)

Subby
05-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Late shift FTW.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8592&stc=1http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8593&stc=1http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8594&stc=1

rcannon100
05-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Well, that's a first...

Yes, Consularrider..... if you read the fine print, if you are not currently working, you may not participate in Bike to Work day.

No Bagels For You!!

consularrider
05-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Ok, I'll ride to HST and see if my new passport is in yet. Will that count?

CaseyKane50
05-14-2015, 06:57 AM
For those still dreaming of a jersey, as of 6:45 am this morning, 89 riders were still eligible.

Emm
05-14-2015, 08:16 AM
For those still dreaming of a jersey, as of 6:45 am this morning, 89 riders were still eligible.

A jersey will be MINE! They said as long as the 89 people show up Thurs and Fri, we'll get the jersey at a happy hour sometime in early June. I just hope I can select my size. The last thing I need is a mens size L jersey...

jpetty1
05-14-2015, 10:13 AM
A jersey will be MINE! They said as long as the 89 people show up Thurs and Fri, we'll get the jersey at a happy hour sometime in early June. I just hope I can select my size. The last thing I need is a mens size L jersey...

Thank you all for the support and coming out, definitely makes the early rise out of bed much easier to know that you all are enjoying the program. After this mornings event we are at 84 riders who have rode all week!

The plan is to give out the jerseys at the first Crystal City Blues & Brews event on Wednesday, June 3 from 5:00 PM-6:30 PM. We should have sizes for everyone in men's and women's cuts. We will do a random raffle of the riders who biked in 4 days for the remaining jerseys (which as of now is 16 jerseys for a possible 31 riders)

PotomacCyclist
05-14-2015, 11:19 AM
I probably shouldn't have missed two days this week. :(

But my stomach is not being cooperative. Maybe it doesn't like cycling that much. At least this month.

Emm
05-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Thank you all for the support and coming out, definitely makes the early rise out of bed much easier to know that you all are enjoying the program. After this mornings event we are at 84 riders who have rode all week!

The plan is to give out the jerseys at the first Crystal City Blues & Brews event on Wednesday, June 3 from 5:00 PM-6:30 PM. We should have sizes for everyone in men's and women's cuts. We will do a random raffle of the riders who biked in 4 days for the remaining jerseys (which as of now is 16 jerseys for a possible 31 riders)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING WOMEN'S CUTS!!!! I can't even count the times I've won shirts/jerseys/other stuff only to not wear them since since they're men's sizes, which fit really poorly on me.

You guys are awesome. I loved the free coffee and bagels, and the friendly faces every morning. Thank you for getting up early to staff the booth--you made my commute in this week so much brighter.

lordofthemark
05-14-2015, 12:45 PM

I would also like to express my thanks - the refreshments, the company, but especially the jersey have served as motivation to get up and ride every morning - thanks to which this will be the first week ever I have ridden to work every single day, which was not even on my list of goals. I am impressed with the growing bike friendliness of Crystal City, and will spread the word as I can.

KWL
05-14-2015, 05:41 PM

The plan is to give out the jerseys at the first Crystal City Blues & Brews event on Wednesday, June 3 from 5:00 PM-6:30 PM. We should have sizes for everyone in men's and women's cuts. We will do a random raffle of the riders who biked in 4 days for the remaining jerseys (which as of now is 16 jerseys for a possible 31 riders)A big thank you from me as well. It was a great opportunity to meet some of the people on this forum (I was going to write "crazies", but not everyone here is crazy) and get into Crystal City more than I would normally. LOTM & I spent some time talking to a CC resident who brought his bike down for the offered maintenance. It sounded like he will appreciate the efforts you are making to enhance Crystal City's cycling environment.

komorebi
05-14-2015, 05:52 PM

Also adding my thanks. Your friendly faces and the free bagels made my commute a lot better during a particularly stressful week. Thanks so much for getting up early and being out there every morning.

KWL
06-02-2015, 06:27 PM
So who will be at Blues, Brews & Barks tomorrow to pick up their BTWW jersey? I've got a birthday dinner to prepare so will be there first thing at 5:00pm.

lordofthemark
06-02-2015, 07:44 PM
I expect to be there.

komorebi
06-02-2015, 08:39 PM
I'll be there, but probably right at the end of the pick-up time.

vern
06-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Since I work at the address of this shindig, I reckon I will attend.

vvill
06-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Should be there, on the early side.

KayakCyndi
06-03-2015, 06:43 AM
I'll be there. Time TBD.

Emm
06-03-2015, 07:59 AM
My sister and friend land at 4:40 this evening for my bachelorette party weekend, so unless their flight is delayed, I'll be missing it :( If their flight is delayed, I'll be there on the early side!

americancyclo
06-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Convoy?
Rolling by the Jefferson at 455.
Staying til around 530 then rolling south on the MVT and west on the WOD

Arlingtonrider
06-03-2015, 12:48 PM
I was out of town most of BTWW so no jersey for me, but I plan to show up and celebrate with some of you. Not sure of ETA yet, but probably around 5:30.

KayakCyndi
06-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Convoy?
Rolling by the Jefferson at 455.
Staying til around 530 then rolling south on the MVT and west on the WOD

To early for me unfortunately. I'll probably just be getting there at 5:30 or so.

ShawnoftheDread
06-03-2015, 02:04 PM
To early for me unfortunately. I'll probably just be getting there at 5:30 or so.

Same.

vern
06-03-2015, 02:52 PM
I'll be leaving by 5:30. I'd like to get out ahead of the rain.

bradallen226
10-04-2015, 12:51 PM
The neighborhood is already significantly better for those employed in the area with mid-day activities and the majority of businesses closing between 5 and 6