PDA

View Full Version : Wow, do I need some fenders

jrenaut
06-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I won't go into detail, as I'm sure you all have had this experience, but this morning convinced me that I desperately need fenders. Can anyone make a recommendation, or is this the sort of thing that I should buy really cheaply on Amazon? I have a Giant Defy road bike.

acc
06-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm with you on that. The last thing I want to do is show up somewhere looking like I've either been rassling a gator or I lost the championship round of a pro/am mud wrestling event (because obviously I would win :cool:). I trotted down to LBS and ended up with removable fenders, Raceblade XLs, and am happy with them. I can snap them on with heavy industrial-strength rubber straps, they stay in place, and I can ditch them as soon as the sun comes out. But that's what works for me. I'm not a vehicular cyclist, I don't commute. You may need something more sturdy.

Happy trails,
ann

Dirt
06-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Today was a good day to figure that out. :D

SKS Xtra Dry seems to work pretty well out back. It attaches quickly to your seat post.

SKS X-Board downtube fender works pretty well too. This doesn't work as well as a full fender, but the combination of these two will cost less than $30.

If you've got a little more money, the SKS Racerblade fenders give you quite a bit more protection. They are about $50.

All of the above are pretty easy to attach and remove.

Google will find all of those pretty easily. Local shops have them in stock too.

Good luck.

Pete

DaveK
06-20-2011, 09:09 AM
SKS Raceblades are what you want. It's worth the extra $$$ over the beaver tail fenders.

PotomacCyclist
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Make sure the fenders are compatible with your bike. I bought a set of inexpensive fenders last year and found that they didn't fit on my mountain bike. I couldn't return them because the store has a no-return policy for bike equipment. (I was only out $10, so not a big deal.)

ronwalf
06-20-2011, 09:36 AM
I love my SKS-P45 full fenders with add-on mudflaps. Just the teensiest bit of road spray on my shoes this morning, and even that I could prevent by going a bit slower.

Water from the sky is... less avoidable. But at least it's cleaner (http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009/05/indignity-of-commuting-by-bicycle_12.html).

eminva
06-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Another useful thread -- when I bought my commuter two and a half years ago, fenders were on my wish list, but the salesman told me they wouldn't fit on the bike I wanted to buy. It is a road bike with limited clearance. Would those SKS Raceblades possibly work?

He also said the rack would work as a rear fender, which has helped me avoid the mud stripe up the back, but I'm also concerned about getting the drivetrain dirty, thus requiring more frequent cleaning and maintenance.

Thanks.

Liz

DaveK
06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Another useful thread -- when I bought my commuter two and a half years ago, fenders were on my wish list, but the salesman told me they wouldn't fit on the bike I wanted to buy. It is a road bike with limited clearance. Would those SKS Raceblades possibly work?

He also said the rack would work as a rear fender, which has helped me avoid the mud stripe up the back, but I'm also concerned about getting the drivetrain dirty, thus requiring more frequent cleaning and maintenance.

Thanks.

Liz

Raceblades are designed for road bikes without fender eyelets or a lot of clearance (that's why I recommended them since the OP said he had a Giant Defy). They will not protect your drivetrain though - they only cover from the rear brake back over the rear wheel and from the fork back over the front wheel. Your drivetrain will still get messy. Raceblades are just the best fender solution for bikes not designed for them. Don't get me wrong though - they're better than those floppy fenders that come off the seatpost and a thousand times better than nothing.

DaveK
06-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Make sure the fenders are compatible with your bike. I bought a set of inexpensive fenders last year and found that they didn't fit on my mountain bike. I couldn't return them because the store has a no-return policy for bike equipment. (I was only out $10, so not a big deal.)

I had a road bike that wouldn't fit Raceblades (long story) and Revolution took them back no questions. It pays to buy from a good local shop sometimes.

jrenaut
06-20-2011, 10:09 AM
It looks like Giant makes fenders for the Defy (http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-pa/partsaccessories/accessories/338/28915/). Note to Giant - how about a prominent link from the bike info page to the bike accessory page?

I guess the next question is, what should I be doing to clean the bike after riding in the rain?

OneEighth
06-20-2011, 10:46 AM
A good wipe-down with WD-40 doesn't hurt. Just avoid using it on surfaces that aren't meant to be slick such as braking surfaces, seats, and handlebars. Rubbing alcohol cleans braking surfaces very nicely. Also, check to make sure your chain is clean and still properly lubed after lots of wet riding.

CCrew
06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
If your tires are 28mm or smaller and your bike is set up for fender stays I have a full set of SKS's I haven't been able to give away. Look just like the ones you linked. Yours if you want them - just buy me a Coke :p

I don't do fenders... they slow me down :).

jrenaut
06-20-2011, 05:50 PM
If your tires are 28mm or smaller and your bike is set up for fender stays I have a full set of SKS's I haven't been able to give away. Look just like the ones you linked. Yours if you want them - just buy me a Coke :p
Wow, thanks, I may take you up on that. The tires on the bike are Kenda 700X25c - I know that width isn't 25cm, but not sure why a measurement in mm would have a "c" tacked on the end.

How do I check if it's set up for fender stays?

CCrew
06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
How do I check if it's set up for fender stays?

Should have an unused screw hole near the wheel skewers on the front and back. Honestly, based on the fact that Gian't's selling fenders for that bike I'd be surprised if it *didn't* have them.

What part of town are you in? I come in from the west and go downtown (NW) I'd happily meet up somewhere. I picked these up because my LBS had them on a clearance rack for $3, and knew someone would need them someday. Too good a price to let go.

jrenaut
06-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, there are little holes in the front and back that look like they might be for fenders. You're right, unlikely that Giant would sell fenders for a bike that don't fit on it.

I live in Columbia Heights and work at L'Enfant Plaza. I'm mobile, though, especially when people are doing me a favor.

PotomacCyclist
06-21-2011, 12:23 AM
I had a road bike that wouldn't fit Raceblades (long story) and Revolution took them back no questions. It pays to buy from a good local shop sometimes.
I bought the fenders at HTO, the same place that I got the mountain bike. (Well, actually I won a gift certificate to the store so I hardly paid anything for the bike, just $99 for a new bike.) I think I asked if the fenders were compatible with that model of bike before buying. HTO doesn't have refunds on their bike equipment, partly since they aren't a bike-specialty store. I don't go there that often for bike gear. Other than the mtn bike, I tend to focus on triathlon equipment, which HTO doesn't really cover.

PotomacCyclist
06-21-2011, 12:26 AM
It looks like Giant makes fenders for the Defy (http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-pa/partsaccessories/accessories/338/28915/). Note to Giant - how about a prominent link from the bike info page to the bike accessory page?

I guess the next question is, what should I be doing to clean the bike after riding in the rain?
I like to lube and clean the chain and derailleurs soon after riding in the rain. With a separate cloth, I'll wipe down the braking surfaces/tire rims (but without any lube!) to get grit and dirt off of them. There tends to be a lot more junk on the rims after riding in the rain.

CCrew
06-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Yeah, there are little holes in the front and back that look like they might be for fenders. You're right, unlikely that Giant would sell fenders for a bike that don't fit on it.

I live in Columbia Heights and work at L'Enfant Plaza. I'm mobile, though, especially when people are doing me a favor.

I'm right off the Orange line at Mcpherson Sq, no reason we can't meet up. I usually get out earlier in the afternoon anyway. I'll grab them from the garage and bring them to work and I'll pm you and we can arrange a meet. Already in work today though..

jrenaut
06-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Great, McPherson SQ is no problem for me. And no rush.

CCrew
06-23-2011, 06:14 PM
jrenaut, pleasure meeting you. Get it all home without issue?

jrenaut
06-23-2011, 06:20 PM
No problem getting it home. Hoping to try to put them on tonight, but next week is more realistic. Thanks again.

jrenaut
10-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I gave up on installing the fenders myself. It may be that I'm missing a piece, or maybe I'm just destined to pay bike shops to do things for me. I got the rear fender most of the way on, but couldn't get the last 1/3 or so. The Bike Rack charges very little to install fenders, so I'm going to take it in this week.

Arlingtonrider
10-18-2011, 06:31 PM
With another rainy day in the forecast, I have some newbie-type questions about fenders that I hope someone(s) might be able to help me with:

(1) If two fenders can't be installed because of a low back platform, is it useful at all to install just a front fender? Does anyone else do this?

(2) What is (are) the downside of fenders?

(3) Does anyone else with the same problem have a jerry rig solution for the back (duct tape, plastic, cardboard?) that might help prevent the Jackson Pollack look on wet days? (other than wearing a backpack, which at least puts some of the art on a different canvas)

Thanks!

dbb
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't think just front fenders would change much. I don't have a front fender and haven't seen much problem with water getting thrown up on me.

My back fender is one of those seat post mount Planet Bike (from REI or Performance) and seems to have a wide range of adjustment. I have it just about horizontal so it might fit under a rack. Might be a good alternative to the arts and crafts approach Arlingtonrider proposes.

Arlingtonrider
10-18-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the post. I'll take a look at the Planet Bike seatpost mounted fender you suggest and also at the SKS Pete mentioned. I'm not sure if the photo I tried to attach will make it into this message, but it might illustrate the problem better than I can explain it.

Arlingtonrider
10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
I hope the photo above is helpful in explaining the problem I'm having. Maybe this is an unusual way for a rack to be mounted.

dbb
10-18-2011, 10:32 PM
The PB fender might work if the silver bracket in the front of your rack is split. As an alternative, a couple of bolts/nuts might allow mounting the PB fender directly to the bottom of the rack with no use of the seatpost bracket that comes with the fender. A bit less arts/crafts than the cardboard and duct tape solution. Will the bike be at the Thursday happy hour?

10-19-2011, 03:26 AM
I hope the photo above is helpful in explaining the problem I'm having. Maybe this is an unusual way for a rack to be mounted.

It looks exactly like how my rack is installed. (If I remember, I'll take a picture tonight.) I don't have a rear fender. My rack (Jandd) is solid on top and I've never needed a rear fender.

My front fender is mounted on the down tube.

paulg
10-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Looks to me like the rack should be mounted a little higher and a little further back. The bed of the rack should be approximately level. Doing that would raise it up and allow room for a regular fender to mount underneath the rack bed.

This bike has the rack level and high to allow the fender to mount underneath.

http://www.rei.com/product/808786/novara-transfer-bike-2012

Is there any way to adjust the rack upwards?

If it can't be adjusted a new rack might be worth it to get the fender underneath and to get the rack level.

Failing that the clip on rear fender would work. Something like this (there are others):

http://www.rei.com/product/647147/sks-xtra-dry-rear-seatpost-fender

As for a downside of fenders they are minimal when compared to staying dry but mine are: They add weight, They make the bike difficult to put in the back of the car when you take the front wheel off....... and that's about it. Like I say minimal downsides.

Good luck.

jrenaut
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
I sure wish my fenders were installed on my bike this morning instead of on their way to the bike shop from the distributor.

Arlingtonrider
10-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Actually, the rack is perfectly level - it's just the photographer who is a little twisted. ;-).

The rack has about a three inch wide strip of metal along the top but is open at the sides. It could easily be crafted into a solid platform on rainy days. I might give that a try, and also see if I can get one of the removable seat post options placed above the rack and if that helps.

It sounds like there are differing views as to the helpfulness of front fenders. I like the fact that there are easily removable ones. Thoughts?

Greenbelt
10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
New fenders rocked this morning. Much better to not have so much spray in my face. Plus, with the extra weight, my downhill speeds are even faster!

Arlingtonrider
10-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Rear fender problem solved! I went to REI tonight and found an SKS "x-blade" detachable fender. It attaches easily to the seatpost, rests on the end of the rack, and extends the splash protection offered by my rack by about five inches. It feels very secure and doesn't interfere at all with using my panniers.

(The big thing for me was just getting over the idea that a fender had to fit "under" a platform.)

p.s. Thanks everyone for all the good information and ideas.

Post-rainstorms update: This arrangement works like a charm! I especially appreciate it the day after a rainstorm for when I'm not wearing my plastic fantastic bike rain jacket ($19.99 at Performance Bikes) that I can wipe dirt off of. With this fender, I can now go over puddles without getting mud spots on the back of good clothes. The rack alone wasn't enough to prevent that.

DaveK
10-19-2011, 10:55 PM
If anyone wants it, I have a Planet Bike clip-on rear fender I'll give away. It doesn't fit on my road bike due to the aero-shaped seat tube and I have full fenders on my commuter. Let me know, I'll try to bring it to the happy hour tomorrow.

/edit - this one - http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7030.html

jrenaut
10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Well, I got my fenders sort of half on. The front one is on. But it rubbed against the tire all the way to work this morning. It did help keep water off my feet, so that's good, but this is clearly not a long-term solution unless I can get it adjusted properly. It is clear I was not meant to be a bike mechanic.

jrenaut
11-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Finally, I have fenders. Crud Roadracer MK2. I've had the front one on for about a week, but the bike shop just put the rear one on after I gave up.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6238/6306776164_eaedafcbc1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/6306776164/)
Can't wait for the rain (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thetejon/6306776164/) by thetejon (http://www.flickr.com/people/thetejon/), on Flickr

So far, so good, though I only rode about a mile with the rear one on.

Dirt
11-02-2011, 01:31 PM
It would be silly to paint shiny, stainless steel fenders, right?

OneEighth
11-02-2011, 01:38 PM
It would be silly to paint shiny, stainless steel fenders, right?

Depends...might not be enough surface area to do a nice (predominantly pink) Piet Mondrian tribute piece though.

Dirt
11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Depends...might not be enough surface area to do a nice (predominantly pink) Piet Mondrian tribute piece though.
The bike is predominantly black. The wheels and handlebars will be the only color. I love the Velo Orange fenders.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/fenders/fender-sets/vo-fenders-stainless-60mm-26-atb.html

OneEighth
11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Those on a black frame would be sweet. Not that you've ask, but put me down as in favor of leaving them shiny.

Dirt
11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Those on a black frame would be sweet. Not that you've ask, but put me down as in favor of leaving them shiny.
I kinda wanted the color parts to get the looks. It was a tough call, but I went for black. :D

jrenaut
11-10-2011, 08:42 PM
First ride in the rain with the new fenders installed. It was glorious. When i got home, there wasn't a drop of water on my ass.

Dirt
11-29-2011, 04:51 AM
Just in case any racergeeks need fenders for their fancy-pants carbon road bikes, these things are really nice. I had the first generation ones and they were great. The 2nd Gen ones look even better.

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer/

jrenaut
11-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Those are the ones I have. They ARE great, though they take a few rides to break in. They're in three pieces, and I snapped the back piece off of the rear fender putting the bike in the cage at work, so I have no ass protection. I haven't done anything about it yet, but because of the way the connections work, I'm not sure there's much to do besides replace the whole rear or super-glue the heck out of it.

ogozi12
12-05-2011, 01:36 PM
You really need fenders but instead of buying it on Amazon, i'll suggest you get into an equipment store near you and get real good fenders with added recommendations from the experts.