PDA

View Full Version : National Bike Challenge 2015-Washington Area All-Stars

Pages : [1] 2

cvcalhoun
03-27-2015, 11:40 PM
Don't know what to do now that Freezing Saddles 2015 is over? Motivate yourself to exercise, and potentially win prizes, by participating in the National Bike Challenge May 1-September 30! You can sign up now so you'll be ready when it starts. (If you signed up last year, you're already in, and don't need to sign up again.) Please don't hesitate to join the team just because you're not sure how many miles you will bicycle--EVERY mile helps!

To join:

1. Sign up at the National Bike Challenge registration page (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/register).

2. If you're local to the Washington, DC area (two hours by bike from downtown), join the Washington Area All-Stars team! You can do this by going to the Washington Area All-Stars team page (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/team/4296) and clicking on "JOIN." You can also join a school team and a workplace team if you like.

3. If you have a smartphone, you can use it to keep track of your miles automatically:
a. Sign up for Strava (http://www.strava.com/), MapMyFitness (http://www.mapmyfitness.com/), Moves (https://www.moves-app.com/), or Endomondo (https://www.endomondo.com/).
b. Link the app to your National Bike Challenge account by signing in and going to Edit My Profile (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/account). At the bottom left of that page is a place where you can authorize the relevant app.
c. Put the app on your phone, and use it when riding.
d. Sign in to the National Bike Challenge site (http://nationalbikechallenge.org/) at least once a week, and on the last day of each month, and click on the "Log Miles" button, then click on "Sync Now" on the page that comes up.

4. If you have a Garmin, you can use it to keep track of your miles automatically:
a. Sign up for Strava (http://www.strava.com/). (You can also do this with MapMyFitness, but I'm keeping this simple by avoiding posting two sets of directions.)
b. While logged in to Strava, click on the red arrow in the upper right, then choose "Upload activity." You will be given options to either upload from your Garmin or, if you already use the Garmin site to upload miles, to sync your Garmin and Strava accounts.
c. Sign in to the National Bike Challenge site (http://nationalbikechallenge.org/) at least once a week, and on the last day of each month, and click on the "Log Miles" button, then click on "Sync Now" on the page that comes up.

5. If you have neither a smartphone or a Garmin, you can still enter miles manually. Sign in to the National Bike Challenge site (http://nationalbikechallenge.org/) and click on the "Log Miles" button, then fill in the information under "MANUALLY LOGGED MILES" and click the "LOG MILES" button.

cvcalhoun
04-25-2015, 02:58 PM
The National Bike Challenge (http://nationalbikechallenge.org/) begins this Friday! So far our team, the Washington Area All-Stars (http://nationalbikechallenge.org/team/4296), has 180 riders. However, we're competing with at least one team with 309 riders. While we've nevertheless been #1 in the country in miles ridden preseason, we're facing a big handicap in terms of number of riders. (Last year, we were also #1 in the preseason, but came in second to a team with 295 members in the actual challenge.) Can we get as many people as possible from the DC area to sign up? As previously mentioned, once a team is over 100 members, standings are determined by total team points, not by points per person. So you'll help, not hurt, the team by joining, even if you ride only a little bit.

lordofthemark
04-25-2015, 06:33 PM
As long as I don't have to do any friggin sleaze rides, I will join.

cvcalhoun
04-25-2015, 06:41 PM
As long as I don't have to do any friggin sleaze rides, I will join.
I can assure you, we'll be delighted to have you, even if you aren't sleazy!

DCLiz
04-25-2015, 07:27 PM
OK, done. Rode with Women & Bicycling last year, but if my points help this team actually be competitive, happy to throw them into the pool.

Oh, hello there from your friendly fair-weather cyclist! Started riding again April 1, motivated by the #30DaysofBiking challenge, and am pleased to report that I've been on a bike every day for 25 days so far! Earned a silver badge in the Bike Challenge, which I'll have to re-earn in May when they clear the slate.

FYI - the prizes for May have been posted. Really good prizes this year! https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes

cvcalhoun
04-25-2015, 08:29 PM
OK, done. Rode with Women & Bicycling last year, but if my points help this team actually be competitive, happy to throw them into the pool.

Oh, hello there from your friendly fair-weather cyclist! Started riding again April 1, motivated by the #30DaysofBiking challenge, and am pleased to report that I've been on a bike every day for 25 days so far! Earned a silver badge in the Bike Challenge, which I'll have to re-earn in May when they clear the slate.

FYI - the prizes for May have been posted. Really good prizes this year! https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes
Welcome to the team!

Supermau
04-25-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm in. Already logging miles but I guess they don't count yet. Good practice anyway.

cvcalhoun
04-25-2015, 10:01 PM
I'm in. Already logging miles but I guess they don't count yet. Good practice anyway.
Great!

Emm
04-28-2015, 02:13 PM
I just sent the invite out to my small federal agency @ HHS to join the challenge. We'll see if anyone new joins.

If your an HHS-er, PLEASE add it as your workplace--I programmed the info in last year. I'm happy add your work location to the options if that helps. It's kinda sad that the Department that's all about health and wellness has such small workplace group on the NBC.

rcannon100
04-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Has your agency joined the Federal Bike Challenge? A one month challenge inside the Cascade Bike to Work Month challenge. http://www.luum.com/challenges/88/bike-month-challenge

Mikey
04-28-2015, 02:35 PM
I've signed up and I will get my wife signed up.

For those who signed up for Freezing Saddles, this is much different, even though the point system is essentially the same. For Freezing Saddles the teams are small around 10 people. The format for NBC is more total biking bragging rights for a town/metro area. There are three categories for teams, small - 10 and under, medium 11 - 100 and large greater than 100. The teams that get the most attention are the ones in the large group, and much like a heavy weight boxer where there is no upper limit on your size, the goal is to get as big as you can. More people means more miles and more points. There are no points for points/contestant, although Washington Area All Stars would win that. So sign up, even if you only log 1 mile during the challenge you are helping the team.

cvcalhoun
04-28-2015, 02:44 PM
I've signed up and I will get my wife signed up.

For those who signed up for Freezing Saddles, this is much different, even though the point system is essentially the same. For Freezing Saddles the teams are small around 10 people. The format for NBC is more total biking bragging rights for a town/metro area. There are three categories for teams, small - 10 and under, medium 11 - 100 and large greater than 100. The teams that get the most attention are the ones in the large group, and much like a heavy weight boxer where there is no upper limit on your size, the goal is to get as big as you can. More people means more miles and more points. There are no points for points/contestant, although Washington Area All Stars would win that. So sign up, even if you only log 1 mile during the challenge you are helping the team.

Actually, there are five categories of teams (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=114658):

Small Up to 10 riders
Medium 11 to 24 riders
Large 25 to 49 riders
X-Large 50 to 99 riders
Jumbo 100+ riders

However, your basic point remains. Washington Area All-Stars is already in the largest category, so extra riders won't push us into a new category. And since we compete on the basis of total miles, not miles per rider, having more riders will help even if they don't ride much.

cvcalhoun
04-29-2015, 10:43 PM
And we're up to 191 riders. Only 104 more riders needed to catch up with Gainesville (the team that beat us last year)! Okay, so maybe catching up to their number of riders isn't realistic. But for the first four months of this year, we've already put in 201,386 miles to their 63,810. Now we've just got to make sure they don't overtake us once the competition starts, the way they did last year.

Arlingtonrider
04-30-2015, 09:35 PM
And we're up to 191 riders.
Up to 192 now - just signed up for this year. Nice to have the integrated Strava logging!

rayko
04-30-2015, 10:37 PM
Up to 192 now - just signed up for this year. Nice to have the integrated Strava logging!

Up to 193, just signed up.

PotomacCyclist
05-01-2015, 12:23 AM
I'm seeing the team and some other local teams listed as having zero riders now.

cvcalhoun
05-01-2015, 12:27 AM
I'm seeing the team and some other local teams listed as having zero riders now.
My recollection is that riders aren't shown until they have at least one ride. So since all rides before May 1 weren't counted, it may show 0 riders for now.

Mikey
05-01-2015, 08:15 AM
For those of us who were spoiled by hozn's freezing saddles site, you have to be patient with the national bike challenge. It takes a while to update miles. It is best to wait until the end of the day to see how we are doing. Log, and synch when you can, but don't expect them to show up right a way (or within a few hours).

MFC
05-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Any idea if the Strava logging works? From what I read on the NBC website yesterday, its been buggy.

Emm
05-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Any idea if the Strava logging works? From what I read on the NBC website yesterday, its been buggy.

I worked for me a few weeks ago pretty consistently, but then I moved back to MMR for reasons I can't remember. MMR was such a wreck last year I ended up logging things manually, but it seems pretty glitch-free over the last month of me playing with the NBC site.

You can use the fitnesssyncer.com site to automatically sync strava to MMR if Strava starts acting up too often. I sync the opposite way since MMR wont accept detailed GPS data from Strava, but for the sake of the challenge that shouldn't be an issue since you just need miles and days.

Tania
05-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Just joined the team. I think (didn't see the # go up).

Arlingtonrider
05-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Any idea if the Strava logging works? From what I read on the NBC website yesterday, its been buggy. It doesn't seem to be working for me at this point. No time now to fool around with it.

Tania
05-01-2015, 11:17 AM
It doesn't seem to be working for me at this point. No time now to fool around with it.

I manually synced it from my NBC profile (worked fine, just not automagically).

vern
05-01-2015, 12:05 PM

I did the same last night and it works fine, so far.

Arlingtonrider
05-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks! Will try that.

MFC
05-01-2015, 12:58 PM

That's consistent with what I read, thanks. Its a a bit of a pain, but I'll live.

consularrider
05-01-2015, 04:26 PM
Well, I'm shown at #209 so today's first ride of the challenge has been counted. We're 26 points behind Gainesville.

Mikey
05-01-2015, 07:39 PM
For one brief moment I was in 2nd place locally

Rod Smith
05-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Strava synced for me. I'd suggest wanting at least an hour or two before manually uploading. If you're set up for Strava syncing and you manually upload, you might end up with double points when the auto sync finally connects.

cvcalhoun
05-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Strava is syncing for me when I go to the site and hit the sync button. I suspect the issue is that it doesn't automatically sync often, or perhaps reliably, if you don't push it.

Vicegrip
05-02-2015, 03:09 PM
In.

ts986
05-04-2015, 06:18 PM
How do people have so many miles already? It's hard to compete! I thought I had a pretty good commute (17 miles roundtrip), but how do people already have over 300?

ebubar
05-04-2015, 08:02 PM
How do people have so many miles already? It's hard to compete! I thought I had a pretty good commute (17 miles roundtrip), but how do people already have over 300?

I have a 30 mile roundtrip and am still far from the top. I find my ranking improves every Friday, after I log a week's worth of commutes. It then falls on weekends, when I sleaze ride and others get their 100-200 mile rides in.

The challenge started on a Friday this year, so lots of weekend/nice weather riders got some big points (Plus you're in the running with amazing folks like Eric Williams and Rod Smith who ride more in a single day than I ride in a week!). In the past I find that steady commuters start climbing the leaderboards while weekend warriors lose time to weather, heat, vacations, family, etc.

Just set a goal for yourself (i'm shooting for Diamond level this year!) and go for it!

AFHokie
05-04-2015, 08:36 PM
just signed up

dbb
05-05-2015, 05:09 AM
There are some folks on the local leaderboard that remain unaffiliated with a team. Please take a look. If you know any of the unaffiliated folks, please invite them to join the Washington Area All Stars.

sjclaeys
05-05-2015, 06:23 AM
I'm in.

cephas
05-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Slightly off topic, but is there any way to find my stats from last year's NBC if I didn't save them?

consularrider
05-05-2015, 11:41 AM
The NBC has the 2014 stats on the leader board (I don't think there is a separate Challenge period selection though), just select that year and use the "find me" (middle of the page) function. I was #112 nationally (#1 in Arlington) with 12,382 points

hozn
05-05-2015, 12:22 PM
Sync didn't work for me (despite linking w/ Strava earlier). I tried triggering a manual re-sync, maybe it will eventually populate, but it still shows "0" for # of rides this challenge, etc. The new site looks nice, but still obviously is still a little glitchy. I'm definitely not caring enough to enter my rides manually, so if Strava sync doesn't work, I'll just unlink/remove my profile.

Tim Kelley
05-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Sync didn't work for me (despite linking w/ Strava earlier). I tried triggering a manual re-sync, maybe it will eventually populate, but it still shows "0" for # of rides this challenge, etc. The new site looks nice, but still obviously is still a little glitchy. I'm definitely not caring enough to enter my rides manually, so if Strava sync doesn't work, I'll just unlink/remove my profile.

It worked for me, but took somewhere in the 15 minute to 2 hour range for it to populate.

hozn
05-05-2015, 01:18 PM
It worked for me, but took somewhere in the 15 minute to 2 hour range for it to populate.

Yes! -- Worked for me too, took an hour or so.

Of course, no 300 cray-cray miles for me (and no sleaze rides or intent to check the leaderboard), but happy to add whatever I end up riding to the team's score. :)

Terpfan
05-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Can we talk the 29 people in the WABA Women team into joining? We would be ahead of Gainesville then.

Also, I thought it was auto-updating me. Then I realized I had to switch my recording to Strava as primary. So the team should be up like 150 odd something points now.

DCLiz
05-06-2015, 05:10 PM
I could post something to our Women & Bicycling group. I didn't realize that this group wanted more members to make a run at 1st place until cvcalhoun posted here and I happened to see it. There are probably others in the same boat.

dbb
05-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Can we talk the 29 people in the WABA Women team into joining? We would be ahead of Gainesville then.

How about we try to get the unaffiliated folks on the local leader-board to join the All Stars? In the top 30 there are nine unaffiliated riders (Greg Halter, Jennifer Weiss, Edoardo Buenaobra, Dave Clemmer, Steve Claeys, Edgar Gil Rico, Charles Denny, Elizabeth Denton and David Quentin) with 1927 points. Those nine would get us within 21 points of Gainesville. I am sure there are great riders in the next 30 but I didn't dive that deep.

If you know any of these folks, please invite them to join the team!

Tim Kelley
05-07-2015, 08:06 AM
How about we try to get the unaffiliated folks on the local leader-board to join the All Stars? In the top 30 there are nine unaffiliated riders (Greg Halter, Jennifer Weiss, Edoardo Buenaobra, Dave Clemmer, Steve Claeys, Edgar Gil Rico, Charles Denny, Elizabeth Denton and David Quentin) with 1927 points. Those nine would get us within 21 points of Gainesville. I am sure there are great riders in the next 30 but I didn't dive that deep.

I have email addresses for Edoardo B, Edgar Gil Rico, Charles Denny and Elizabeth Denton. Sjclaeys is a forum user--can someone PM him?

TinLizzieBikes
05-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Are you guys talking about me behind my profile?! I hadn't signed up yet - I don't know if we'll have a work team or not, so I might join that one, if we do. But I feel so wanted! : )

sjclaeys
05-07-2015, 08:45 AM

I thought that I had joined the All Stars when I signed up earlier this week. I'll check.

sjclaeys
05-07-2015, 08:58 AM
I thought that I had joined the All Stars when I signed up earlier this week. I'll check.

I changed my profile to have the All Stars as my team but I am not yet showing up on the team roster.

cvcalhoun
05-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Are you guys talking about me behind my profile?! I hadn't signed up yet - I don't know if we'll have a work team or not, so I might join that one, if we do. But I feel so wanted! : )
Workplaces are separate from teams, so you can join both!

KLizotte
05-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Finally gave the NBC site permission to access my Strava account today. Anyone else keep getting this message when trying to sync: "An error has occurred. It looks like we are having some issues. We've logged the problem and are looking into it." My miles aren't showing up and I synced this morning.

Thanks.

cvcalhoun
05-14-2015, 12:40 AM
Finally gave the NBC site permission to access my Strava account today. Anyone else keep getting this message when trying to sync: "An error has occurred. It looks like we are having some issues. We've logged the problem and are looking into it." My miles aren't showing up and I synced this morning.

Thanks.

If this isn't cleared up by morning, you may want to report it on the National Bike Challenge Customer Community (https://getsatisfaction.com/nationalbikechallenge).

PotomacCyclist
05-15-2015, 01:23 PM
I might have another recruit. He usually bikes most days, round-trip, in the warmer months.

I have a couple other people in mind. Not super-high mileage but moderate amounts.

Boomer2U
05-15-2015, 01:35 PM
I just logged onto NBC website and synched my miles for the week with no problem, so it seems to be working fine now.

KLizotte
05-15-2015, 07:21 PM
If this isn't cleared up by morning, you may want to report it on the National Bike Challenge Customer Community (https://getsatisfaction.com/nationalbikechallenge).

The problem resolved itself the next day. Thanks.

Rod Smith
05-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Please join our team, Boomer!!

Boomer2U
05-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Please join our team, Boomer!!
Thanks, Rod. I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread, and successfully uploaded my miles for May (to date). Does that mean that I'm a member of your esteemed team now? Or is there some type of twisted initiation rite (involving puppies) performed by RCannon at one of the FCC?

Rod Smith
05-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Try this. Go to your NBC profile page, click on "My Account", then select "Edit Profile". Scroll down until you see "My Groups" on the left column. If you don't see Washington Area All-Stars as your team, click "Search", find, select. Thanks!

dbb
05-17-2015, 07:55 AM

Here are the top three teams as of this morning. Early results are suggesting a rematch of last year's competition. If you know local riders currently unaffiliated or not participating, ask them to join the Washington Area All Stars team.

Gainesville has
64027 points
36047 miles
$2618 savings
4171 lb CO2 reduction

Washington has
57384 points
30414 miles
$10758 savings
17136 lb CO2 reduction

Plano has
45535 points
30555 miles
$501 savings
798 lb CO2 reduction

Note the value in the short trips - Washington has fewer miles than Plano but 12K points more.

With some skepticism about the calculation for cost and CO2 savings, note that Washington is doing much better in those areas than either Gainesville or Plano because of our greater use of bikes for transport.

Rod Smith
05-17-2015, 05:01 PM
Closing the gap.

Steve O
05-17-2015, 10:48 PM
http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8642&stc=1

Closing the gap.

I doubt we can catch them just by riding more. Our only hope is recruitment.

Boomer2U
05-18-2015, 09:30 AM
Try this. Go to your NBC profile page, click on "My Account", then select "Edit Profile". Scroll down until you see "My Groups" on the left column. If you don't see Washington Area All-Stars as your team, click "Search", find, select. Thanks!
My local group is FAAB, as I used a link from their email to join NBC. But I think that I figured out how to switch to the Washington Area All-stars which now appears as my "team" on my NBC profile page. Ride on!

PotomacCyclist
05-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Are they giving away the Gold prizes every month?

https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes

They have the Huffy Good Vibrations Cruiser bikes, the Saris car bike rack and the Scott's year supply of toilet paper listed for the Gold level. I don't see a Grand Prize listed yet.

I'm not sure what I would do if I won the Huffy bike. Capital Bikeshare works just fine for casual rides in the comfortable upright riding position. I don't have to store those bikes inside like I would have to do with the Huffy. I could give the bike away to someone in the unlikely scenario that I win. But I would probably keep the year's supply of toilet paper, as a badge of honor. How many people can say that they have ever won a year's supply of toilet paper?

cvcalhoun
05-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Are they giving away the Gold prizes every month?

https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes

They have the Huffy Good Vibrations Cruiser bikes, the Saris car bike rack and the Scott's year supply of toilet paper listed for the Gold level. I don't see a Grand Prize listed yet.

I'm not sure what I would do if I won the Huffy bike. Capital Bikeshare works just fine for casual rides in the comfortable upright riding position. I don't have to store those bikes inside like I would have to do with the Huffy. I could give the bike away to someone in the unlikely scenario that I win. But I would probably keep the year's supply of toilet paper, as a badge of honor. How many people can say that they have ever won a year's supply of toilet paper?
It's impossible to tell exactly what they will have after the first month, as they announce only one month at a time. But generally they are similar from month to month, except for the Grand Prize, which comes only at the end..

cvcalhoun
05-18-2015, 01:52 PM
My local group is FAAB, as I used a link from their email to join NBC. But I think that I figured out how to switch to the Washington Area All-stars which now appears as my "team" on my NBC profile page. Ride on!

Actually, the link doesn't matter. Local groups are assigned entirely based on the home address you provide. But our team is open to anyone from the Metro DC area (defined as either within 2 hours of DC by bike, or actually commuting by bike to DC).

The NBC allows you to have one local group, one team, one workplace, one school, and one league. You'll also be listed in your city and your state. I've already encountered a few people who didn't think they could be on our team if they were already on a workplace, but that is a misconception.

PotomacCyclist
05-18-2015, 02:07 PM
But didn't they at least announce what the Grand Prize would be, early in last year's challenge?

cvcalhoun
05-18-2015, 02:14 PM
But didn't they at least announce what the Grand Prize would be, early in last year's challenge?

Edit: Never mind. I clearly can't read dates.

PotomacCyclist
05-18-2015, 02:24 PM
That was posted in April 2014.

PotomacCyclist
05-18-2015, 04:49 PM
I might have another recruit. She's training for a long-distance triathlon, so that means plenty of time on the bike.

I may not be riding too much myself, but I hope to make up for it by getting more people for the team.

dbb
05-18-2015, 07:54 PM
As Steve O said, recruiting is the way to success.

By most metrics (absent total points) we are kicking butt.

Knowing that the number of team points equals 20 times the number of rides plus the miles ridden we can determine the number of rides per team

Gainesville 1503 rides (4.5 rides/team member)
Washington 1447 rides (6.6 rides/member)
Plano 810 rides (4.0 rides/member)

Average ride distance shows the value of rides of any distance
Gainesville 26 miles/ride
Washington 23 miles/ride
Plano 40 miles/ride

The number of riders with more than 100 points also favors Washington
Gainesville 158 riders (48% of the team)
Washington 134 riders (61% of the team) - the down side is that we have over 80 riders who have reported less than 100 points (possibly just not logged)
Plano 131 riders (64% of the team)

The number of riders with more than 750 points also favors Washington
Gainesville 19 riders (6% of the team)
Washington 21 riders (10% of the team)
Plano 12 riders (6% of the team)

Now here is the ask - look at your community's leaderboard and reach out to the unaffiliated riders from your community. Get them to join the All-Stars.

dbb
05-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Here are the unaffiliated riders from Arlington (as of a few minutes ago) from the top 30 riders. If anybody has a relationship with these riders, please reach out to them.

Todd Furse (1016 points)
Greg Halter (849)
Dave Clemmer (801)
Jennifer Weiss (727)
Dezubiria Michael (713)
Elizabeth Denton (476)

If we could recruit these six individuals, they would bring 4582 points to the team. That would close over half the gap between the All-Stars and Gainesville. The other communities likely have similar potential. Given the value in steady riding, the next 30 (rank 31-60) riders might yield similar results.

sjclaeys
05-18-2015, 08:48 PM
I've contacted Jennifer Weiss.

PotomacCyclist
05-18-2015, 09:54 PM
The people I have in mind haven't signed up for the NBC. One signed up a couple days ago but he hasn't gotten around to logging his miles yet. I'm pretty sure he will. He's probably good for at least 120-140 points a week (including the 20-pt. daily bonuses).

I think I could get a few more people too. They would be lower mileage, but any extra miles/points are a positive in the large team category. Some might be moderate mileage/points. I don't know any of the unaffiliated super riders.

PotomacCyclist
05-18-2015, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know this guy? If so, recruit him. What would be cooler than being the only team with a Supreme Court Justice?

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7961-Justice-Breyer-bobblehead-on-a-bike

Rod Smith
05-19-2015, 07:53 AM
Cannot find Cecile Parmenter-Line and Michael Line of Hyattsville always near the top of the WABA local challenge leaderboard. Longshot that any of you know them.

Possibly someone here does know Ken Ray of Toole Design Group (first place rider in DC). It would be nice if we could get him and co-workers Eli Glazier, Chris Dolan, Alia Anderson, Jeremy Chzan, oh jeez it's a long list... Perhaps getting Jennifer Toole on board would be a good start. Toole Design Group's Jessica Zdeb and Megan McCatrthy are already on our team.:) Toole Design Group designs complete streets, multi-modal roadways, etc. in DC and other cities.

Other unsigned in the top twenty are Eric Griffin with the Peace Corps and Jaime Wiedhahn. I'm sure some of us know Jaime. We have mutual Facebook friends, He's in the BikeArlington Strava club. He might be reading this! Hi Jaime!

Rod Smith
05-19-2015, 07:57 AM
Yeah Boomer! You're an All-Star! Can we get Sarah and HFChoi?

Tim Kelley
05-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Here are the unaffiliated riders from Arlington (as of a few minutes ago) from the top 30 riders. If anybody has a relationship with these riders, please reach out to them.

Todd Furse (1016 points)
Greg Halter (849)
Dave Clemmer (801)
Jennifer Weiss (727)
Dezubiria Michael (713)
Elizabeth Denton (476)

If we could recruit these six individuals, they would bring 4582 points to the team. That would close over half the gap between the All-Stars and Gainesville. The other communities likely have similar potential. Given the value in steady riding, the next 30 (rank 31-60) riders might yield similar results.

I'll contact Elizabeth Denton.

Tim Kelley
05-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Cannot find Cecile Parmenter-Line and Michael Line of Hyattsville always near the top of the WABA local challenge leaderboard. Longshot that any of you know them.

Possibly someone here does know Ken Ray of Toole Design Group (first place rider in DC). It would be nice if we could get him and co-workers Eli Glazier, Chris Dolan, Alia Anderson, Jeremy Chzan, oh jeez it's a long list... Perhaps getting Jennifer Toole on board would be a good start. Toole Design Group's Jessica Zdeb and Megan McCatrthy are already on our team.:) Toole Design Group designs complete streets, multi-modal roadways, etc. in DC and other cities.

Other unsigned in the top twenty are Eric Griffin with the Peace Corps and Jaime Wiedhahn. I'm sure some of us know Jaime. We have mutual Facebook friends, He's in the BikeArlington Strava club. He might be reading this! Hi Jaime!

I'll reach out to Megan at Toole about that.

KayakCyndi
05-19-2015, 09:19 AM
...... Jaime Wiedhahn. I'm sure some of us know Jaime. We have mutual Facebook friends, He's in the BikeArlington Strava club. He might be reading this! Hi Jaime!

Jaime is on Team Bikenetic and is certainly All-Star material. I'll go get him!

Mikey
05-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Anyone work at the white house? Seems like the president likes to take a lot of rides around Martha's Vineyard about this time of year.

PotomacCyclist
05-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Does anyone know this guy? If so, recruit him. What would be cooler than being the only team with a Supreme Court Justice?

Anyone work at the white house? Seems like the president likes to take a lot of rides around Martha's Vineyard about this time of year.

EDIT - What would be cooler than being the only team with a Supreme Court Justice and a sitting U.S. president? There's also Earl Blumenauer, noted Congressional cycling advocate.

http://blumenauer.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1429:be-bike-partisan&catid=46

PotomacCyclist
05-19-2015, 11:36 AM

EDIT - What would be cooler than being the only team with a Supreme Court Justice and a sitting U.S. president? There's also Earl Blumenauer, noted Congressional cycling advocate.

http://blumenauer.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1429:be-bike-partisan&catid=46

Rod Smith
05-19-2015, 05:10 PM
Awesome! We gained eight new members today including three from Toole Design Group. It's hard for me to ferret out who are the new members, but if you're a new member, thanks for joining and welcome! And thanks to whoever helped recruit these new riders.

We're a lot closer to the lead than I really wanted to be at this point! Less than 1% difference between us and 1st place! Rock on All-Stars!

dbb
05-19-2015, 07:37 PM

Hap tip to Steve O! Recruiting seems to have some positive effect.

Since this morning the All-Stars have gained over 6700 points, twice that of Gainesville. In the interest of full disclosure, it seems the new team members bring their points with them when they join so it is like they were always here.

Gainesville has about 3,600 more miles than we have but we have almost 100 more rider-days than the do.

Rod Smith
05-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I met briefly with Jason O'Mahoney, captain of the Gainesville Cycling Club before a little prize presentation at the LAB headquarters. He said it's all about the recruiting.

He also said it was nice to meet with the leader of the second placed team. I said "You mean first place medium sized!" He said "Oh yeah" it was raining, I was working and he was not in kit. There was no prize presentation for us. I had to email several times before I could get LAB to send the prize via USPS. I offered to pick it up but they prefer not to use human powered transport I guess?

That was two years ago. Last year Jason wrote "this year we had some competition." meaning Oklahoma team that finished second. We were third. I don't care about this stuff. I'm surprised I remember every detail. Jason's clavicle is broken, it's time to attack! :D

Mikey
05-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Let's get this sucker!

Rod Smith
05-20-2015, 07:30 AM
I might have got a little carried away last night. Jayson's a nice guy. He actually swore off the National Bike Challenge after last year's edition, before his injury. Like our team leader for the last two years, Steve Eunpu, he got a little too wrapped up in it and it wasn't fun anymore.

Gatorville just jumped back up 4000pts ahead. That OK. Just keep doing what you're doing, we're in a good position. Still seriously outnumbered though, so if you know anyone who might enjoy, please invite! :)

Tania
05-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Will sleeze rides help much? I can't bike to work every day but I can get on and do laps around my block to get in a mile.

PotomacCyclist
05-20-2015, 09:36 AM
I might have got a little carried away last night. Jayson's a nice guy. He actually swore off the National Bike Challenge after last year's edition, before his injury. Like our team leader for the last two years, Steve Eunpu, he got a little too wrapped up in it and it wasn't fun anymore.

This is why I'm not even going to try riding every day this year. I did that two years ago. I didn't do super-high mileage, but I did manage to ride almost every single day of the Challenge. It gets to be a grind.

Last year, I started off riding every day. But then I injured my quads. (Probably from doing a hard run hill workout just a couple days after last year's Challenge Ride, when I was still fatigued. I should have kept everything easy for a week after the ride.) Even after I got injured, I kept riding every day, and also doing some longer hard run workouts. That didn't let my quads heal up and eventually my quads rebelled completely. I barely rode at all in August and September. (I didn't ride much for the rest of the year either, because of the quad issues.)

This year, I won't do any "sleaze rides" where I ride for a couple miles just to pick up a daily point bonus. Riding every single day gets to be a grind for me mentally, even when I'm not riding big mileage. On some days, I think I just need a complete rest day, both mentally and physically. I'm also focusing a little more on the run and swim now, thus my relatively low bike mileage. So that's why I'm turning my focus to recruitment. I'll bring in far more points by doing that than from this month's riding. I might pick up with cycling in June or July, but I don't plan on doing anything close to a century ride. I probably won't do anything longer than 40 miles this year. (If I sign up for the Challenge Ride, I might use my mountain bike and only ride for a lap or two.)

Tania
05-20-2015, 09:41 AM
True...but I can bike a half mile to the gelato place. They're open late too.

dbb
05-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Will sleeze rides help much? I can't bike to work every day but I can get on and do laps around my block to get in a mile.

YES!!!

Because of the scoring rubric (20 points for any day you ride a mile plus one point per mile), you will make a great contribution. The All Stars ride, on average, fewer miles than the other two teams but we do so more consistently.

A long ride (say 35 miles) on Sat and Sun will net you 110 points where the five day short rider will get at least 105 miles (assuming just a one mile ride each time). Add a weekend ride in and you have the weekend warrior beat solidly.

cvcalhoun
05-20-2015, 03:46 PM

I just got a reply back from National Bike Challenge in response to my question on their Facebook page about this year's Grand Prize:

Hi Carol--no, we haven't announced the grand prize yet. It will be worth the wait, we promise!

PotomacCyclist
05-20-2015, 03:55 PM
A year's supply of... bikes?

Mikey
05-26-2015, 09:41 PM
The end is near!
May that is, get your friends signed up for The challenge and on the all stars, that way we can get all of their points for the month. On June 1st their points turn into pumpkins.

Mikey
05-26-2015, 09:46 PM
Also, upload all of your rides. unsynced May Miles are worthless on June 1st.

Sunyata
05-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Also, upload all of your rides. unsynced May Miles are worthless on June 1st.

Is there a way to have Strava automatically sync up with the challenge? I have to manually sync them, which is a pain, especially because I forget. :confused:

americancyclo
05-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Is there a way to have Strava automatically sync up with the challenge? I have to manually sync them, which is a pain, especially because I forget. :confused:

you can use strava to log in to the NBC. Then select it as the primary 'authorized app' in the 'edit' section of your NBC profile.

kwarkentien
05-27-2015, 11:26 PM
you can use strava to log in to the NBC. Then select it as the primary 'authorized app' in the 'edit' section of your NBC profile.

Yes, but you still have to physically log into the NBC site and chose and reauthorize Strava EVERY TIME! NBC does not automatically pull from Strava until/unless you initiate a logon (even though my computer stays on all the time I don't stay logged in) and authorize the app (again, and again, and again, and again...). Hey, it works but it would really be nice if it was automated, like Garmin's autosyncing with all of the other fitness apps.

Sunyata
05-28-2015, 07:24 AM

I have done this. I guess it just does not sync automatically. :(

Oh well, I will just have to set a reminder to sync at the end of the month to make sure all my rides/miles count.

chris_s
05-28-2015, 08:01 AM
In my experience, you have to login to the NBC website and click "log miles" and then it will sync from Strava. No need to re-authorize or anything like that.

vvill
05-28-2015, 08:01 AM
I have the same issues. And it doesn't sync private rides, so I'm manually adding a few. Not sure if I can be bothered doing this all through the challenge - I think I've missed the odd mile or three already.

Rod Smith
05-29-2015, 08:34 PM
Isn't there a third party app that costs a couple dollars that will do it for you? Hozn?

Rod Smith
05-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Who is Greg Halter?

cvcalhoun
05-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Isn't there a third party app that costs a couple dollars that will do it for you? Hozn?

I'm not aware of any apps that will automate syncing with the National Bike Challenge site. I used to use some that automated syncing Garmin miles to Strava and MapMyFitness. However, Garmin now allows you to connect both Strava and MapMyFitness directly, which eliminates the need for third party applications.

Here is information on connecting Garmin to Strava:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/automatic-mapmyfitness-endomondo.html

Here is information on connecting Garmin to MapMyFitness:

https://support.mapmyfitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/203111194-MapMyFitness-Now-Integrates-with-Garmin-Connect

KLizotte
05-29-2015, 10:13 PM
NBC automatically syncs with Strava for me. I don't have to do anything since I've given NBC permission to do so. Not sure why it is working for me but not others.....

KLizotte
05-29-2015, 10:16 PM
How the heck does Wisconsin get so many people to sign up? It's a rural state! Does that mean almost every citizen is out biking?!

DismalScientist
05-30-2015, 05:11 AM
The National Bike Challenge originated from a Kimberly Clark corporate event. Why do you think a year's supply of toilet paper is a prize? Trek Bicycle also has a lot of riders. With a lot of population in Milwaukee, Madison, and the Fox Valley, I don't think Wisconsin is any more rural than Virginia.

AFHokie
05-30-2015, 07:51 AM
From the US Census Bureau (2014):
Wisconsin Pop 5.7 million
Virginia Pop 8.3 million
Maryland Pop 5.9 million
DC Pop 658,893

One last population stat:
DC Metropolitan statistical area (2012) 5.8 million

DismalScientist
05-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Am I to take from this that because DC has a smaller population that it is rural?

I would think that rural means a larger percentage of population outside of "urban" areas, however defined.

dkel
05-30-2015, 10:15 AM
I just joined. Go All-Stars!

AFHokie
05-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Am I to take from this that because DC has a smaller population that it is rural?

I would think that rural means a larger percentage of population outside of "urban" areas, however defined.

Realistically, I don't think urban or rural has much bearing on who signed up for the challenge. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding Kimberly Clark & Trek. Between those two companies and subsidiaries whether through their various venders or friend/family association the percentage of the state's population aware of the NBC is likely much greater than here. Most of the people I know who ride didn't know anything about the NBC until I asked if they were participating.

However the current location of Kimberly Clark's HQ is Dallas, TX, but according to their page they do still have a presence in WI but I do not know how large. I wonder what kind of participation bump (if any) exists in other regions with an NBC sponsor (3M, Wells Fargo, etc) or bike manufacturer?

cvcalhoun
06-01-2015, 12:37 PM
The prizes for May are up, but it doesn't look like any of the locals won one (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes).

DCLiz
06-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know if you can look at your achievements from last year? It would be fun to compare where I am this year (points, badges, miles ridden) to the same time last year.

Rod Smith
06-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know if you can look at your achievements from last year? It would be fun to compare where I am this year (points, badges, miles ridden) to the same time last year.
Not really but you can see how many points you scored for each month in 2014 or for the whole year by clicking on leaderboards, then 2014, then select any month or All, then search for your name.

DCLiz
06-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Not really but you can see how many points you scored for each month in 2014 or for the whole year by clicking on leaderboards, then 2014, then select any month or All, then search for your name.

Thanks! I see I was doing more biking last year ... at least to date. I wouldn't have guessed that!

dbb
06-10-2015, 08:53 PM
All,

Here is some analysis of the National Bike Challenge – specifically the competition between the Washington Area All Stars and the Gainesville team. While the graphs show the Plano team as well, I’m not going to discuss the Plano performance.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%20Points%2020150610_zps873tpqzr.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%20Points%2020150610_zps873tpqzr.jpg.html)

As of this morning, Gainesville leads Washington by 7,134 points. This gap has closed from their 9,252 point lead at the end of May.

For the first 10 days in June, Gainesville has received 45,568 points compared to 47,686 points for Washington.

Both Gainesville and Plano are beating Washington in the calculated miles per rider per day, where Gainesville has 27.0 miles per rider per day and Plano has 37.2. The All-Stars has only 22.2 miles per rider per day. Because the All Stars have many commuters, we are seeing the benefit of riding often.

If you look at the number of rider-days (determined by calculating the number of days ridden), we see the benefit of the All Stars’s commuter contingent. Washington has 282 more rider days than Gainesville (4,259 vs 3,977).

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%20Rider%20Days%2020150610_zps6b8fwsgw.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%20Rider%20Days%2020150610_zps6b8fwsgw.jpg.html )

The dilemma we face is that as of yesterday, only 184 (74%) of the All Stars 250 members have logged miles with the NBC. This compares with Gainesville’s 228 (65%) of 350 members and Plano’s 172 (78%) of 221 members.

What are the key points here?

If you are riding and logging your miles, please keep up the good work.
If you are riding and not logging your miles, please log your miles so the All Stars earns those points
If you aren't riding, please start (and log your miles)
If you know a fellow rider who rides regularly, please ask them to join the All Stars and log their miles

Thank you for your attention .

DismalScientist
06-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Pardon me, but why do we want to log miles as we ride? It's not like this is a friendly competition like freezing saddles. Sandbag the hell against Gainesville.

cvcalhoun
06-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Pardon me, but why do we want to log miles as we ride? It's not like this is a friendly competition like freezing saddles. Sandbag the hell against Gainesville.
Whether or not we log as we ride, we definitely need to log by the end of the month. Otherwise, the rides are not counted for that month's prizes, and it's unclear whether they are counted at all.

Mikey
06-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Can't we get that first place rider who is putting in something like 750,000 miles this year to join our team. We can offer him cool Bike Arlington Swag right?

Tim Kelley
06-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Can't we get that first place rider who is putting in something like 750,000 miles this year to join our team. We can offer him cool Bike Arlington Swag right?

Yes.

dbb
06-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Exactly who was going to recruit that first place rider?

All,

Here is some analysis of the National Bike Challenge – specifically the competition between the Washington Area All Stars and the Gainesville team. While the graphs show the Plano team as well, I’m not going to discuss the Plano performance.

As of this morning, Gainesville leads Washington by 4,169 points (down from 7,134 ten days ago). This gap has closed from their 9,252 point lead at the end of May.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/20150620%20NBC%20Teams_zpsuftr6e6b.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/20150620%20NBC%20Teams_zpsuftr6e6b.jpg.html)

The graph below shows the difference in point totals between Gainesville and the All-Stars during the completion.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/20150620%20NBC%20Difference_zpszzflx23c.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/20150620%20NBC%20Difference_zpszzflx23c.jpg.html)

For the first 20 days in June, Gainesville earned 97,425 points compared to 102,508 points for Washington.

Both Gainesville and Plano are beating Washington in the calculated miles per rider per day, where Gainesville has 27.0 miles per rider per day and Plano has 36.9. The All-Stars has only 22.3 miles per rider per day. Because the All Stars have many commuters, we are seeing the benefit of riding often.

If you look at the number of rider-days (determined by calculating the number of days ridden), we see the benefit of the All Stars’ commuter contingent. Washington has 470 more rider days than Gainesville (5,547 vs 5,077).

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/20150620%20NBC%20Rider%20Days_zpsv2cw0rnq.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/20150620%20NBC%20Rider%20Days_zpsv2cw0rnq.jpg.html )

The dilemma we face is that as of yesterday, only 194 (75%) of the All Stars 259 members have logged miles with the NBC. This compares with Gainesville’s 241 (65%) of 369 members.

What can you do to help?

• Ride your bike and log your miles
• If you know a fellow rider who rides regularly, please ask them to join the All Stars and log their miles

I read on the NBC page that you can log miles for months past and while you won’t get retroactive prize eligibility, the points will accrue to the All-Stars.

Thank you for your attention.

KLizotte
06-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Too bad we couldn't get all those folks riding on Cabis to log their miles. We would blow everyone out of the water if we could do that. Maybe the Cabi folks should give a Garmin to each person who signs up for a new account. ;)

kwarkentien
06-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Maybe we could just embed a gps tracker in each CaBi that auto uploads to NBC when re docked. [emoji41]

Boomer2U
06-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Too bad we couldn't get all those folks riding on Cabis to log their miles. We would blow everyone out of the water if we could do that. Maybe the Cabi folks should give a Garmin to each person who signs up for a new account. ;)
I ride Cabi a lot and track my millage on my phone using the Strava App.

Mikey
06-23-2015, 08:42 AM
I'm impressed how we are hanging in there. Who wants to do some pointless hot laps of Hains Point tonight to bite off a little more of GCC's lead? We can do this people. You think it's hot here, it must be hotter in Gainesville.

DCLiz
06-23-2015, 12:29 PM
You think it's hot here, it must be hotter in Gainesville.

According to Weather.com:
Washington DC at 1:30 pm: 92 feels like 104
Gainesville FL at 1:30 pm: 91 feels like 98

Mikey
06-23-2015, 12:50 PM
According to Weather.com:
Washington DC at 1:30 pm: 92 feels like 104
Gainesville FL at 1:30 pm: 91 feels like 98

Yes, but we have hills

cyclingfool
06-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Yes, AND we have hills

FTFY

It's hotter here AND we have hills. Gainseville=slackers. ;)

KWL
06-23-2015, 08:11 PM
What the heck. I'm playing with Strava in preparation for Freezing Saddles and figured I may as well throw in my junk commuting miles. I'm in.

cvcalhoun
06-28-2015, 07:22 PM
Anyone else having trouble syncing with Strava today? I tried syncing, and it said it had synced, but showed no miles. When this has happened in the past, I've been able to fix it by deauthorizing and reauthorizing Strava, so I tried that. I got an error message when I tried to reauthorize, but then it again showed as authorized. But it still isn't syncing.

MFC
06-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Anyone else having trouble syncing with Strava today? I tried syncing, and it said it had synced, but showed no miles. When this has happened in the past, I've been able to fix it by deauthorizing and reauthorizing Strava, so I tried that. I got an error message when I tried to reauthorize, but then it again showed as authorized. But it still isn't syncing.

It worked fine for me this afternoon (maybe around 2).

cvcalhoun
06-28-2015, 08:28 PM
It worked fine for me this afternoon (maybe around 2).

I just went back and discovered a message that I needed to reauthorize Strava. So I did, and it finally synced.

DCLiz
07-02-2015, 10:09 PM
June winners have been announced (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes?date=2015-06-01). Looks like the DC area got shut out again. I think the fix is in!

July prizes (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes?date=2015-07-01) are up.

cvcalhoun
07-04-2015, 10:22 AM
June winners have been announced (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes?date=2015-06-01). Looks like the DC area got shut out again. I think the fix is in!

July prizes (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/prizes?date=2015-07-01) are up.
Yeah, last year we had several winners, including one who won two months in a row. It's a bit demoralizing to have no one from the whole metro area winning this year.

PotomacCyclist
07-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Notice something here?

cvcalhoun
07-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Notice something here?

And we still have only 272 cyclists to Gainesville's 375. Just think what we could do with another 100 cyclists!

DismalScientist
07-15-2015, 11:00 PM
And we still have only 272 cyclists to Gainesville's 375. Just think what we could do with another 100 cyclists!

Why is the Oxon Hill team yet to be purchased?:rolleyes:

Steve O
07-16-2015, 09:10 AM
... including one who won two months in a row.
la de dah

Kitty
07-19-2015, 05:57 AM
You guys convinced me, I'm riding for Washington Area All-stars now! (Much love for Women and Bicycles and all, but this inter-state competition is one of my favorite parts.) What I don't know is whether all of my points/miles etc. will transfer over, or just what I've put in since I switched.

In any case my 50-miler yesterday both bumped me up to Platinum for points and broke 1,000 miles for the period. I'm on track to beat my PR from last challenge and its not even half-way through! :D

Tim Kelley
07-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Just got one of my Ironman buddies signed up for the team. That'll add a couple extra thousand points each month...

PotomacCyclist
07-20-2015, 01:05 PM
We're back down to #2 nationally. I think we were only at #1 for a couple days. Maybe some of the Gainesville people fell behind on posting their rides and caught up.

The number of riders on our team has been going up. We had 272 riders last week. Now we are up to 295.

Rod Smith
07-20-2015, 06:38 PM
233 participating out of 299 registered. The number of registered riders without any points has decreased by 30+ since this morning. :)

Rod Smith
07-20-2015, 06:44 PM
The slate was not wiped clean. Riders on the 2014 team are still on! If you can remember your password log in and set your profile to sync with your favorite ride logging website. Yes, NBC syncs with Strava now! It's fun and easy to play!

Rod Smith
07-20-2015, 07:01 PM

Yes.

No, bad boys! A person from GCC contacted me that they do not recruit the top rider in the NBC. I assured him we do not either! He also said he doesn't recruit Ironman triathletes. I told him we will ask Matt Aune to quit. Haha no I did not.

The good news I followed his link to this thread. Somehow I had lost contact with it. Good stuff. All-Stars rock. Things are heating up.

cvcalhoun
07-20-2015, 08:03 PM
We're back down to #2 nationally. I think we were only at #1 for a couple days. Maybe some of the Gainesville people fell behind on posting their rides and caught up.

The number of riders on our team has been going up. We had 272 riders last week. Now we are up to 295.

We're currently at #1 for the challenge period. (By default, the leaderboard shows only the current month, but if you click on "Challenge Period," you can see overall standings.) We have 443,296 points to Gainesville's 437,197.

dbb
07-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Here is the data in graphical form from this morning. I will be like a kid waiting for Christmas morning so I can reflect the new reality. It is likely to be neck and neck for a while as both teams begin the floggings associated with such a tight competition. I'd expect that our friends in Gainesville are actively encouraging their members to join and log their miles as we speak.

Here is team points (from this morning)

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/Team%20Points%2020%20Jul_zpss9izojep.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/Team%20Points%2020%20Jul_zpss9izojep.jpg.html)

The difference in team points between Gainesville and the WAAS

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/Point%20Diff%2020%20Jul_zpspvltqooq.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/Point%20Diff%2020%20Jul_zpspvltqooq.jpg.html)

The team sizes. Note the recent bump as we stepped up recruiting.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/Members%2020%20Jul_zpstwicpa53.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/Members%2020%20Jul_zpstwicpa53.jpg.html)

The metric "rider days" is calculated based on the points and miles. The WAAS is riding more consistently.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/Rider%20days%2020%20Jul_zpsshwnj2iw.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/Rider%20days%2020%20Jul_zpsshwnj2iw.jpg.html)

Plano is shown on the graphics because they are in 3d place nationally.

In terms of average miles per rider-day, we are solidly in 3d place. We have 23.5 miles per rider-day compared to Gainesville's 28.9 and Plano's 38.9. We don't ride as far but we ride more consistently.

This is reflected in the calculated rider-days per day of the competition where we have 120 compared to Gainesville's 108 and Plano's 57. That means that, on average, 120 of our members are out riding on any given day.

Looking at the NBC lists, 82% of our team is on the leaderboard compared to Plano's 80% and Gainesville's 70%

Bottom line? Keep riding, recruiting and logging your miles.

Kitty
07-21-2015, 07:02 AM
I'm happy to help! I was already glued to the national standings competition (albeit focused on the cities and states--Dammit Wisconsin!) So now I have something else to get irrationally competitive about.

Each ride to the office is another 6 miles minimum, and I'm now into the 60+ weekend ride part of my century training. Its no Iron (Wo)Man, but its a start! ;)

TwoWheelsDC
07-22-2015, 12:08 AM
Alright, I joined up, since school is finished and my mileage should be returning to normal-ish (~100mi/wk).

dasgeh
07-22-2015, 09:37 AM
don't worry, i'm back from maternity leave mid-August and will be back to my usual mileage. :-)

dbb
07-22-2015, 10:18 AM
don't worry, i'm back from maternity leave mid-August and will be back to my usual mileage. :-)

We can live with one mile a day, seven days a week!

Mikey
07-22-2015, 10:33 AM
We can live with one mile a day, seven days a week!

Dana are you offering to Babysit, so she can get out on the bike?

cvcalhoun
07-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Have you seen her bike? She doesn't need a babysitter to get out on it. It could probably hold all the kids from an average school classroom.

dasgeh
07-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Have you seen her bike? She doesn't need a babysitter to get out on it. It could probably hold all the kids from an average school classroom.
Wait, I totally need a babysitter.

But yes, I've been getting out http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/9959ae2a7f5c10f54897fd03bb510cee.jpg

dbb
07-22-2015, 11:31 AM

What could possibly go wrong with that concept?

AFHokie
07-22-2015, 12:36 PM

But yes, I've been getting out http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/9959ae2a7f5c10f54897fd03bb510cee.jpg
Do kids/passengers also count towards NBC? That's a lot of points!

cvcalhoun
07-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Do kids/passengers also count towards NBC? That's a lot of points!
Kids could, if they signed up and rode themselves. Passenger kids don't.

Mikey
07-22-2015, 01:36 PM
I momentarily actually thought about getting my 10 year old a cell phone so he could Strava his rides and help our team out. The thought lasted about 30 seconds.

dasgeh
07-22-2015, 04:00 PM
NBC isn't cool enough to do a #kidical competition

Steve O
07-22-2015, 05:06 PM

ooo...pick me! pick me!!

Steve O
07-22-2015, 05:13 PM
I momentarily actually thought about getting my 10 year old a cell phone so he could Strava his rides and help our team out. The thought lasted about 30 seconds.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9148&stc=1

Rod Smith
07-22-2015, 05:14 PM
I hope you're uploading your bakfiets rides, Dasgeh. Use of electric assist no longer disqualifies rides from counting.

dasgeh
07-22-2015, 08:00 PM
I hope you're uploading your bakfiets rides, Dasgeh. Use of electric assist no longer disqualifies rides from counting.
Yep. Didn't you see my ride this afternoon on Strava?

Rod Smith
07-22-2015, 09:24 PM
I see and I give you kudos!

Kitty
07-22-2015, 09:36 PM

You're an inspiration to me! :eek:

DismalScientist
07-22-2015, 09:56 PM

Cheaters never prosper.

cvcalhoun
07-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Cheaters never prosper.

It's not cheating. The FAQ (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/about/faq) says:
Miles pedaled on a trainer, stationary bike, or throttle-assisted electric bicycle are not eligible to be logged in the National Bike Challenge. Miles traveled on a pedal-assisted electric bicycle (devices that provide assistance only when the bicyclist is pedaling) may be recorded in the National Bike Challenge.

So no, motorcycles don't count. But e-assist bicycles do. Given the weight of dasgeh's bike and its contents, I'm strongly suspecting that the amount of energy she has to put into pedaling, even with e-assist, is greater than most of us do with a normal bike without e-assist.

Mikey
07-23-2015, 08:22 AM
It's not cheating. The FAQ (https://nationalbikechallenge.org/about/faq) says:

Given the weight of dasgeh's bike and its contents, I'm strongly suspecting that the amount of energy she has to put into pedaling, even with e-assist, is greater than most of us do with a normal bike without e-assist.

Especially more than those flat landers from Gainesville, Florida

dbb
07-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Cheaters never prosper.

How are Wall Street's big investment houses doing?

dbb
07-25-2015, 06:10 AM
Here are the graphics showing the recent lead-taking by the All Stars over Gainesville.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150725%20Points_zpszw2padfx.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150725%20Points_zpszw2padfx.jpg.html)

The All Stars has about a 15,000 point lead over Gainesville. That should not be seen as an opportunity to rest on our laurels (where exactly are our laurels?), as we are but a couple of days ahead of Gainesville.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150725%20Point%20Difference_zps64xsxrh6.jp g (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150725%20Point%20Difference_zps64xsxrh6.jp g.html)

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150725%20Miles_zpsbrykpe9v.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150725%20Miles_zpsbrykpe9v.jpg.html)

While Gainesville has the lead on the number of miles, the All Stars continue to log more, but shorter, rides. This is shown below.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150725%20Rider%20Days_zpsiqxbbl4m.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150725%20Rider%20Days_zpsiqxbbl4m.jpg.html )

consularrider
07-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Well,as of Tuesday someone will need to pick up my slack 'cause Cannon told me I had to leave. :rolleyes:

dbb
07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Well,as of Tuesday someone will need to pick up my slack 'cause Cannon told me I had to leave. :rolleyes:

You, sir, are expected to take your slack with you to the Ukraine! Just remember to log your kilometers

cvcalhoun
No, you just need to go to Kyiv. We expect you continue biking there. And pursuant to a rules interpretation by Rod Smith, you can stay on the team if you were in this area on May 1.

dcv

Mileage in Kyiv still counts

rcannon100
07-25-2015, 05:00 PM

http://memecrunch.com/meme/L7L1/you-re-still-here/image.png

Kitty
07-27-2015, 07:29 AM
You guys managed to talk me into switching to the All-Stars at a good time! Yesterday I broke my PR for longest distance in a day, and put up 83.3 miles! :o

By the end of the week I'll hit my 2014 NBC point/miles total... and that's before the 70 mile route I have planned for Saturday!

Watch out Gainsville! Kitty is commin for you!

DCLiz
08-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Your monthly prize update: we finally have a winner! Two, even! Both All-stars (and both Matt). Congratulations to Matt Eggleton from Alexandria and Matt Holmes from Fairfax.

dbb
08-01-2015, 06:59 PM
Point totals from this morning. Most of the discussion from earlier postings remain appropriate.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150801%20Points_zps5whhf5kt.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150801%20Points_zps5whhf5kt.jpg.html)

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150801%20Miles_zpslgz67go7.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150801%20Miles_zpslgz67go7.jpg.html)

Note that the WAAS is closing on total miles.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150801%20Rider%20Days_zpsgsdo81uu.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150801%20Rider%20Days_zpsgsdo81uu.jpg.html )

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150801%20Difference_zpsu51m5iee.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150801%20Difference_zpsu51m5iee.jpg.html)

The WAAS has a 30K point lead at this point.

Kitty
08-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Woo-hoo! It was really exciting to see the posting for the month come up! I already enjoyed seeing the monthly breakdown, but now that I'm part of the Gainesville chase its even better! One thing I am a bit bummed about is how far Arlington has dropped back in the community ranks (for cities over 200,000 of course)

Personally, I finished out the month on a high note. I ended up riding every day in July and with the weekend century training put up my most points in a month. While technically in August, my Saturday ride pushed me over the total number of miles I put up for all of the 2014 NBC! :o

Mikey
08-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Did G'Ville give up?

cvcalhoun
08-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Did G'Ville give up?
If only...

Rod Smith
08-04-2015, 07:13 PM
It does look like we've kinda burst their bubble.

I started a WAAS Facebook group, if your not in it feel free to join. I've been more active on that page than on this thread and I apologize for that because the BikeArlington.com community is still the heart of this team. I know some of you don't like that I've recruited people from outside of this group but I really wanted to win. :p Now I feel like I cheated or something but this is a bicycling competition after all. Everyone on the team is local, as far as I can tell. I know most of them. I invited my Facebook friends and one of them invited his Facebook friends and one of them invited his Facebook friends, so now we are a big team with more riders I don't know but I know people who know them and so do most of you. We're still one big happy family, we just branched out a little bit. :) #bikedc

dbb
08-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I know some of you don't like that I've recruited people from outside of this group but I really wanted to win. Now I feel like I cheated or something but this is a bicycling competition after all. Everyone on the team is local, as far as I can tell.

I think that getting local riders on the team is not only reasonable, but this could be a starter drug to get more active folks on the forum. As you suggested, we are all cyclists, local and committed to improving cycling in the area. Hell, we all reached out in our recruiting and that was a good thing. Arlingtonrider and I were trying to recruit some DC Bike Police to join the team during the recent PA Ave bike lane protest.

Mikey
08-04-2015, 09:12 PM
We should all make new friends now and then. Rod thanks for expanding our group!

Rod Smith
08-04-2015, 09:26 PM
I think that getting local riders on the team is not only reasonable, but this could be a starter drug to get more active folks on the forum. As you suggested, we are all cyclists, local and committed to improving cycling in the area. Hell, we all reached out in our recruiting and that was a good thing. Arlingtonrider and I were trying to recruit some DC Bike Police to join the team during the recent PA Ave bike lane protest. Thanks! That's what I meant to say! I didn't mean to single out Nic and Dave because I know a lot of y'all have brought people in. The two police I saw a couple times after that and I shout at them "National Bike Challenge!" and "Washington All-Stars!" They nod and smile but I don't think they joined. Maybe?

sethpo
08-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Hey Rod. I can invite some folks from work that ride but do you have somewhere easy instructions on how they join our team? Sorry if you've shared that before.

chris_s
08-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Hey Rod. I can invite some folks from work that ride but do you have somewhere easy instructions on how they join our team? Sorry if you've shared that before.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cBDKb-b4cu9IC_sPiVAVqa4Llf7-1WZpqF_ymCXPPSs/edit

cvcalhoun
08-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Just check the first post in this thread.

MFC
08-05-2015, 11:58 AM
If I join WAAS now, do my points and miles I've previously accumulated transfer over?

cvcalhoun
08-05-2015, 12:29 PM
If I join WAAS now, do my points and miles I've previously accumulated transfer over?

If you have been a member of the National Bike Challenge, but had not previously been a member of WAAS, the answer is definitely yes.

If you have not been a member of the National Bike Challenge at all, the answer is still yes, in theory. In practice, it's a bit more complicated.

If you use Strava, all miles from the past 12 months will be picked up and counted. If you use Endomondo, only the past 16 workouts will be picked up and counted. If you use MapMyRide, only the past 7 days will be picked up and counted. If you use Moves, only the past 6 days will be picked up and counted.

The easiest way to do this is obviously to use Strava. If you use other apps, you can manually enter miles for past periods. However, this is enough of a hassle that it's best to use Strava if you can.

If you're using a Garmin, and not already using Strava, it's easy to start. You can upload the miles directly to Strava (https://www.strava.com/upload/device). Or you can upload them to the Garmin site (go to this page (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activities) and click "Import" in the upper right), and then have them synced with Strava (https://www.strava.com/upload/device).

If you are not using a Garmin, and have been using some program other than Strava to log your miles, let me know, and I can give you programs that can sync to Strava from various other programs.

MFC
08-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Yes, in theory. In practice, it's a bit more complicated.

If you use Strava, all miles from the past 12 months will be picked up and counted. If you use Endomondo, only the past 16 workouts will be picked up and counted. If you use MapMyRide, only the past 7 days will be picked up and counted. If you use Moves, only the past 6 days will be picked up and counted.

The easiest way to do this is obviously to use Strava. If you use other apps, you can manually enter miles for past periods. However, this is enough of a hassle that it's best to use Strava if you can.

If you're using a Garmin, and not already using Strava, it's easy to start. You can upload the miles directly to Strava (https://www.strava.com/upload/device). Or you can upload them to the Garmin site (go to this page (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activities) and click "Import" in the upper right), and then have them synced with Strava (https://www.strava.com/upload/device).

If you are not using a Garmin, and have been using some program other than Strava to log your miles, let me know, and I can give you programs that can sync to Strava from various other programs.

I've used Strava since I signed up for NBC, and just joined the WAAS. So hopefully my points transferred over smoothly.

vern
08-05-2015, 12:46 PM
But more importantly MFC, you will have the glory and prestige of being a Washington Area All-Star.

dasgeh
08-05-2015, 01:57 PM
I just went over to the NBC site to check my status. I had done so early in the challenge and I was all signed up and signed up for WAAC. I was also signed up over the winter, as I was consistently towards the top of the leaderboard for women...

Anywho, when I went over today, it seemed like I was signing up for the first time, and the nbc site said I had 0 miles on 0 days... Ugh.

kwarkentien
08-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Make sure you used the same login (e.g, Strava, Endomondo, Facebook). If you logged in with a different method, you can create another profile. I had that happen last year.

dasgeh
08-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Make sure you used the same login (e.g, Strava, Endomondo, Facebook). If you logged in with a different method, you can create another profile. I had that happen last year.

I'm 99% certain I've always used strava.

Mikey
08-05-2015, 03:02 PM
could you have created 2 profiles by accident and strava is linked to the other one?

cvcalhoun
08-05-2015, 03:48 PM
I just went over to the NBC site to check my status. I had done so early in the challenge and I was all signed up and signed up for WAAC. I was also signed up over the winter, as I was consistently towards the top of the leaderboard for women...

Anywho, when I went over today, it seemed like I was signing up for the first time, and the nbc site said I had 0 miles on 0 days... Ugh.

You're right, there is only one profile for you, and it shows 0 miles. I went through all of the female riders in WAAS, and it didn't show anything else that could have been your name, even if you'd somehow typoed it.

I would suggest that you go to My Account, then Edit Profile, then make sure Strava is listed as an authorized app. If it is not, authorize it. If it is, remove the authorization and then authorize again. This should pull in all of your Strava miles for the past year.

If that doesn't work, let me know, and I will beat on the folks that run the National Bike Challenge until they fix it.

dasgeh
08-05-2015, 04:53 PM
You're right, there is only one profile for you, and it shows 0 miles. I went through all of the female riders in WAAS, and it didn't show anything else that could have been your name, even if you'd somehow typoed it.

I would suggest that you go to My Account, then Edit Profile, then make sure Strava is listed as an authorized app. If it is not, authorize it. If it is, remove the authorization and then authorize again. This should pull in all of your Strava miles for the past year.

If that doesn't work, let me know, and I will beat on the folks that run the National Bike Challenge until they fix it.

Thanks. It was authorized. I made it the primary app earlier today. I just went in, unauthorized it, then authorized it again. It still shows me with 0 miles :-(

kwarkentien
08-05-2015, 04:58 PM
It takes some time to bring the entries over. Check back in an hour or so.

cvcalhoun
08-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks. It was authorized. I made it the primary app earlier today. I just went in, unauthorized it, then authorized it again. It still shows me with 0 miles :-(

You're now showing as having 334 miles/50 days this Challenge, for a total of 1,294 points. So it looks like it's fixed.

DCLiz
08-07-2015, 10:41 PM
The difference between Gainesville's ride type and ours is fascinating. 91 percent of their rides are recreational, vs 49 percent of ours.

dbb
08-08-2015, 06:39 AM
Although we are 46,681 point ahead of Gainesville as of this morning, we were behind them just three weeks ago. Resting on our laurels (wherever they are) would be imprudent.

I took a look at the rider results this morning.

Of the 311 members of the WAAS, 252 (81%) have logged points, 220 (71%) have achieved gold and 114 (37%) have achieved platinum.

Of the 398 members of the Gainesville team, 284 (71%) have logged points, 200 (50%) have achieved gold and 90 (23%) have achieved platinum.

The WAAS seems to be riding more frequently and for fewer miles than Gainesville. The competition would be much tighter if the competition eliminated the 20 point ride bonus (which I think would tend to discourage the "any ride is a good ride" theme of the NBC).

To help the WAAS, take a look at the rider rankings for our team and see if you know anybody who seems to be logging their miles inconsistently or hasn't ridden in a while. Please encourage them to pitch in.

cvcalhoun
08-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Resting on our laurels (wherever they are) would be imprudent.

Perhaps laurels grow in Gainesville? If those guys have nice comfy laurels to rest on when they get tired, perhaps that explains why we are beating them?

PotomacCyclist
08-12-2015, 07:24 AM
The individual leader is apparently averaging more than 200 miles a day! Seems that he is trying to break the unofficial record for most miles ridden in a year.

http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/volkswagen-pit-stop-package-awarded-to-leading-national-bike-challenge-ride

In a note on his website tarzanrides.com, he says that the unofficial record holder (who set the record in 1939) supposedly had to spend weeks learning how to walk again after he finished riding for the year. Maybe it's different for someone on a modern bike. If not... yikes!

Powerful Pete
08-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Apparently there is a Brit who is competing for the same record, so he is working hard. If you are on Strava, it is easy to follow him - he finishes each monthly challenge by about day five of the month. :cool:

PotomacCyclist
08-13-2015, 12:16 AM
Gainesville is back on top, at least temporarily. Maybe people haven't posted their miles for the past few days.

Whatever the reason, the competition remains very close.

dbb
08-13-2015, 04:28 AM
Gainesville showed 13 new riders (they went from 398 to 411) and surged with about 89,000 points in three days. The WAAS went from a lead of about 49,000 points to a deficit of 23,689.

As Rod said a while back, it is easier to recruit someone that rides 100 miles a week than to ride an additional 100 miles a week.

Time to do some more recruiting!

DCLiz
08-14-2015, 08:11 PM
I signed up for Endomondo when I joined the bike challenge in 2012. At the time, that was the main app used for participation in the challenge. Yesterday, inexplicably, it stopped syncing with the challenge. My ride on Wednesday is there, and nothing has synced since.

Is anyone else having this issue?

UPDATE: It seems like this is a widespread issue, based on comments at the NBC site. I hope they fix it soon!

cvcalhoun
08-14-2015, 08:38 PM
I signed up for Endomondo when I joined the bike challenge in 2012. At the time, that was the main app used for participation in the challenge. Yesterday, inexplicably, it stopped syncing with the challenge. My ride on Wednesday is there, and nothing has synced since.

Is anyone else having this issue?

UPDATE: It seems like this is a widespread issue, based on comments at the NBC site. I hope they fix it soon!
I don't use Endomondo. However, I've found that most problems with not syncing can be fixed by going to the edit my account page, and seeing whether there is a "reauthorize" link by the spp. If there is, click on the link to reauthorize. If there is not, remove the authorization, then authorize again.

If the problem is not fixed within an hour or so after you do this, let me know, and I'll take it up with the NBC gods.

DCLiz
08-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks ... I actually disconnected Endomondo, logged out of both sites, logged back in, reconnected and still nothing. Based on comments at the NBC home page, it seems to be a widespread issue. I've been emailing with Meghan at NBC. I think she's on the case!

cvcalhoun
08-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks ... I actually disconnected Endomondo, logged out of both sites, logged back in, reconnected and still nothing. Based on comments at the NBC home page, it seems to be a widespread issue. I've been emailing with Meghan at NBC. I think she's on the case!
Sounds like action is being taken. Good luck!

Kitty
08-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Gainesville showed 13 new riders (they went from 398 to 411) and surged with about 89,000 points in three days. The WAAS went from a lead of about 49,000 points to a deficit of 23,689.

As Rod said a while back, it is easier to recruit someone that rides 100 miles a week than to ride an additional 100 miles a week.

Time to do some more recruiting!

Fear not! I met more than a few folks at Tour de Frederick on the century who were riding for WAAS on Saturday, so that's a nice little boost. As we rode up a hill (early in, before mile 10) I issued the rallying cry "ONWARD! EACH MILE LEADS TO GAINESVILLE's DEFEAT!"

dasgeh
08-17-2015, 10:32 AM
I'm back commuting daily, so that should totally put us over the top :-)

Boomer2U
08-18-2015, 12:15 PM
As we rode up a hill (early in, before mile 10) I issued the rallying cry "ONWARD! EACH MILE LEADS TO GAINESVILLE's DEFEAT!"

Testify! I was there, and heard you yell that TDF rallying cry[emoji4]

Raymo853
08-19-2015, 12:22 PM
We have to make sure Eric W. enters his PBP distances when he can. He appears to be on track to finish soon, has less than 140 km remaining of the 1,230 km total.

consularrider
08-19-2015, 02:00 PM
By getting lost today, I got ten more points than I had planned on. You're welcome. Too bad that didn't make up for not riding yesterday. :p

Kitty
08-21-2015, 07:37 AM
By getting lost today, I got ten more points than I had planned on. You're welcome. Too bad that didn't make up for not riding yesterday. :p

Last I checked, you're still in the Top Ten for the challenge period for our little community.

worktheweb
08-21-2015, 10:45 AM
After chatting with Arlingtonrider at FCC this morning I decided to sign up. I linked my Strava account, and after a bit of waiting it looks like it got my data in the system I think I just pushed you guys into first place with my 2.6k points. I log everything and I usually ride around 100-140 miles a week. Looking forward to virtually riding with everyone.

PotomacCyclist
08-24-2015, 01:09 AM
Gainesville remains in the #1 spot. WAAS has been in 2nd place for a couple weeks, I believe.

worktheweb
08-24-2015, 09:34 AM
After looking a bit closer it appears that I was seeing just the August data, not the whole competition. Even that bump was short lived. Sorry for the false alarm.

Boomer2U
08-24-2015, 10:52 AM
There was a slew of Bike Arlington riders out yesterday at the Reston Bike Club Century. If they all are WAAS, and uploaded their data, we should have a huge blip in our favor. If not, we could use Strava to identify and recruit them to become WAAS.

Powerful Pete
08-24-2015, 10:56 AM
"A slew"... I prefer "a veritable plethora"... has a nicer ring. ;)

And now that we have taken care of that important bit of business, off to make sure my km's are uploaded to the National Bike Challenge website.

Kitty
08-25-2015, 05:33 AM
The things this challenge makes me do... because my office is going to the Nats game tonight (and no one else rides so no bike valet for me :() I am going to have to metro in this morning rather than commute by bike. Soo... I'm up an hour early to arbitrarily ride Custis on my "rest day" so I can still put up points.

Not a bad way to start the day though!

PotomacCyclist
08-25-2015, 05:53 AM
Is your office near a bikeshare station? If so, you could use CaBi on days where you will only be riding one-way. It's early enough that the in-demand stations in downtown DC (if that's where you work) would still have available docks. They tend to fill up after 8:30 on weekday mornings.

But there are also two CaBi bike corrals, one near Foggy Bottom and the other near 13th & New York Ave. NW. They have unlimited docking on weekday mornings.

It's also good to check bike and dock availability on the CaBi website and the free Spotcycle smartphone app (iOS and Android only, no Windows Phone or Blackberry).

Kitty
08-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Is your office near a bikeshare station? If so, you could use CaBi on days where you will only be riding one-way. It's early enough that the in-demand stations in downtown DC (if that's where you work) would still have available docks. They tend to fill up after 8:30 on weekday mornings.

But there are also two CaBi bike corrals, one near Foggy Bottom and the other near 13th & New York Ave. NW. They have unlimited docking on weekday mornings.

It's also good to check bike and dock availability on the CaBi website and the free Spotcycle smartphone app (iOS and Android only, no Windows Phone or Blackberry).

You know, I hadn't considered that. I've always had my own bike so the CaBi system is largely unknown to me. I mean yeah, those 3 speeds and frame-that-weighs-more-than-I-do would be an adjustment, but it would probably still beat the Metro! :D

PotomacCyclist
08-25-2015, 07:39 AM
I have two bikes but I still ride CaBi a lot. Actually, this year I've probably used CaBi for 90 percent of my rides. (Yes, I haven't done any long-distance rides this year. But I have done some multi-hour rides on CaBi, if you count the frequent stops. I dock the bike and check it out again every 30 minutes to avoid per-ride usage fees, most of the time.)

The biggest issue with CaBi is the demand for downtown stations on weekday mornings, and the demand for bikes at those same stations in the evenings.

Steve O
08-25-2015, 08:12 AM
because my office is going to the Nats game tonight (and no one else rides so no bike valet for me :()

I'm not clear on why you couldn't ride your bike to the game? Is it the ride home after dark?
Even if so, you could ride to the game, then ride your bike afterward to Capitol South (or another station not named Navy Yard) and take Metro from there.
Granted, I'm male, but I always ride to the games; I've probably been to 50 or more, half or more at night, and I ride home (usually) alone afterward without concern.

The worst incident I had related to going to the ballpark was during the daytime and caused by the Maine Ave. construction. It is described here (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?7417-Found-Connection&p=95541#post95541) (also photo (http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?4659-Post-your-ride-pics&p=95721#post95721); viewer discretion advised).

Raymo853
08-27-2015, 12:11 PM
I noticed how close the All Stars were to first this morning, so I had my wife join getting us up to 330 riders and her 1,939 points were enough to move us into first, for the moment.

cvcalhoun
08-27-2015, 12:15 PM
I noticed how close the All Stars were to first this morning, so I had my wife join getting us up to 330 riders and her 1,939 points were enough to move us into first, for the moment.

Alas, only for the current month. Gainesville is still ahead for the challenge as a whole.

dbb
08-28-2015, 05:23 AM
Graphics below. While we took the lead in late July, Gainesville appears to have recruited a bunch (a bigger bunch than WAAS) of riders.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150828%20Points_zpsaf7uyc77.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150828%20Points_zpsaf7uyc77.jpg.html)

Note the surge by Gainesville.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150828%20Difference_zpsiktcntyj.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150828%20Difference_zpsiktcntyj.jpg.html)

This graphic shows the number of team members. Given we are within 20K points of Gainesville, recruiting folks who have been riding all summer might effectively close the gap. The other approach is to increase the "yield" from the existing members of the team. If you know somebody that hasn't logged their miles in a while, encourage them to do so.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150828%20Team%20Members_zpsk0wjhfd4.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150828%20Team%20Members_zpsk0wjhfd4.jpg.ht ml)

While we have fewer points, the team members for the WAAS are riding more consistently. I'd attribute that to the fact that many of the team are commuters or utility cyclists.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/dbb-bike/NBC%2020150828%20Rider%20Days_zpsqrt5aprh.jpg (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/dbb-bike/media/NBC%2020150828%20Rider%20Days_zpsqrt5aprh.jpg.html )

Raymo853
08-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Well this is why everyone on the team should join the Sunday century starting from Leesburg. I am but am riding from home in Arlington and back. Plan to start off from the Custis/WO&D corner at 0500 if you want to ride out together.

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?9201-Sunday-Century-Series-12

Kitty
09-01-2015, 07:34 AM
I'm not clear on why you couldn't ride your bike to the game? Is it the ride home after dark?
Even if so, you could ride to the game, then ride your bike afterward to Capitol South (or another station not named Navy Yard) and take Metro from there.

Believe me, it wasn't comfort with the route after dark. Frankly I've come to enjoy night riding and probably have an unhealthy sense of safety of being out after dark on two wheels opposed to two feet. It was a matter of having to lead a group of staff/interns to the stadium via metro before, and then giving my non-cycling husband some company for the metro-ride home. Ha ha.

Graphics below. While we took the lead in late July, Gainesville appears to have recruited a bunch (a bigger bunch than WAAS) of riders.

Note the surge by Gainesville.

While we have fewer points, the team members for the WAAS are riding more consistently. I'd attribute that to the fact that many of the team are commuters or utility cyclists.

I was pretty bummed to see this. You can really see the effect of the gap in riders. It makes me wonder what's going on down there. Really awesome bike-friendly infrastructure? Or simply a larger population?

In any case, heading into this last month, it looks like I'm going to hit my distance and points goals for this year's NBC. The 2000 miles I think will happen on its own, but to hit Diamond, I'm going to need to make it an effort to not skip a day.

TwoWheelsDC
09-01-2015, 07:46 AM
I was pretty bummed to see this. You can really see the effect of the gap in riders. It makes me wonder what's going on down there. Really awesome bike-friendly infrastructure? Or simply a larger population?

I always assumed the team is mostly retired Freds with nothing to do but ride.

Tim Kelley
09-01-2015, 02:46 PM

https://nationalbikechallenge.org/rider-updates/thread/22779

UnknownCyclist
09-01-2015, 03:09 PM
I'm really confused. The three terms in question, "cracker," "retired Fred," and "whiney whitey," accurately describe the vast majority of the Washington Area All Stars as well.:rolleyes:

Well, OK, maybe not the retired part of retired Fred.
A quick review of Wikipedia suggests much uncertainty whether "cracker" should be considered pejorative or "jocular self-description." Personally, I would not be offended if I were called it.

TwoWheelsDC
09-01-2015, 03:14 PM
https://nationalbikechallenge.org/rider-updates/thread/22779

As a fellow European American, I can attest that it really is tough dealing with the crushing racism and lack of opportunity that comes with being a white man in America.

dasgeh
09-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Clearly, that guy needs to spend more time complaining on the internet.

We need to go for a bike ride.

dbb
09-01-2015, 03:34 PM
While some might take issue with the concerns our friends in Gainesville have articulated, what we can do is not increase the tension.

For a community of 125K to get 400+ riders on a cycling team for the NBC is pretty impressive. We should figure out what they are doing in that regard.

I agree with dasgeh that we should focus our efforts on riding our bikes and working to make the Washington area (and Gainesville, among others) better places for others to ride their bikes. The more communities that have an active cycling community the better it will be for everybody.

lordofthemark
09-01-2015, 04:01 PM
While some might take issue with the concerns our friends in Gainesville have articulated, what we can do is not increase the tension.

For a community of 125K to get 400+ riders on a cycling team for the NBC is pretty impressive. We should figure out what they are doing in that regard.

I agree with dasgeh that we should focus our efforts on riding our bikes and working to make the Washington area (and Gainesville, among others) better places for others to ride their bikes. The more communities that have an active cycling community the better it will be for everybody.

One may also note that this thread itself has now been mentioned.

I enjoy the freewheeling (so to speak) joshing tone of this forum. It is an exceptionally supportive and positive place (not to mention informative) but I suppose to someone not used to it, it may seem otherwise.

If anyone is reading this thread as their intro to the forum, do take some time to look around, see what we discuss, what the biking issues here in greater Washington are, and the spirit in which we discuss them.

KLizotte
09-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Fear not! I met more than a few folks at Tour de Frederick on the century who were riding for WAAS on Saturday, so that's a nice little boost. As we rode up a hill (early in, before mile 10) I issued the rallying cry "ONWARD! EACH MILE LEADS TO GAINESVILLE's DEFEAT!"

Keeping in mind that a "hill" in FL is a speed bump.:p Too bad the NBC couldn't use an algorithm that takes into account elevation for points.

TwoWheelsDC
09-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Keeping in mind that a "hill" in FL is a speed bump.:p Too bad the NBC couldn't use an algorithm that takes into account elevation for points.

Take that back! Otherwise we risk being expelled from the challenge for our terrain-ist insults.

DismalScientist
09-01-2015, 04:51 PM
When checking out their website, be sure to examine their cold weather tips.:rolleyes:

Mikey
09-01-2015, 06:15 PM
I sincerely appologize for using the pejorative, "Flatlander"

Kitty
09-01-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what a "Fred" is... :confused:

All that aside though, it is sad to hear that one of the many who ride with us acted less-than decorously in the middle of a friendly rivalry. My supposition is that it might have come from one who isn't part to this particular online community, (who knows full well the vernacular meaning of cracker) and probably thought they were safe under the veneer of anonymity that comes from being on the internet.

The sad part is, I don't think anyone in this community bears ill-will to Gainsville. On the contrary, I'm honestly impressed by their output, but know so little about the city I'm genuinely curious as to what makes it clearly a nice place to ride. I think we can always learn from cool cycling cities. After all, the NBC has made me want to visit Madison, Wisconsin! :D

KLizotte
09-01-2015, 08:11 PM
Take that back! Otherwise we risk being expelled from the challenge for our terrain-ist insults.

I concede that the folks in Boulder would kick our butts if elevation was included. I also concede that some folks ride in areas far less cyclist friendly than our's.

I also clearly have to look up what "cracker" means to the rest of the world. I obviously have a very different definition.

AFHokie
09-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Me thinks a few have taken the NBC a little too seriously...would it help if we sent them all trophies?

TwoWheelsDC
09-02-2015, 09:13 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what a "Fred" is... :confused:

It has a few, somewhat contradictory meanings, and can be both a term of derision or endearment, although I think very few would use the term derisively with any seriousness or lack of irony. Most often, it basically refers to a) a person who buys the nicest bike in the shop and then rides 12mph on the bike path (or who thinks a freeway overpass counts as a "climb"), or b) the guys that ride with everywhere with 5 mirrors, 8 lights, 3 layers of reflective gear, and an AirZound horn.

Note that there's actually nothing wrong with or to be ashamed of for either of these definitions, and I fully admit my own fredliness. Frankly, it's not surprising that a white guy who cries racism at being called a cracker would also take umbrage at being called a Fred.

Raymo853
09-02-2015, 09:33 AM
It has a few, somewhat contradictory meanings, and can be both a term of derision or endearment, although I think very few would use the term derisively with any seriousness or lack of irony. Most often, it basically refers to a) a person who buys the nicest bike in the shop and then rides 12mph on the bike path (or who thinks a freeway overpass counts as a "climb"), or b) the guys that ride with everywhere with 5 mirrors, 8 lights, 3 layers of reflective gear, and an AirZound horn.

Note that there's actually nothing wrong with or to be ashamed of for either of these definitions, and I fully admit my own fredliness. Frankly, it's not surprising that a white guy who cries racism at being called a cracker would also take umbrage at being called a Fred.

I had assumed the original name calling of Fred was auto-corrected from "fed" as in "retired fed" and retired federal worker.

Regardless, Fred (https://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/) in cycling circle general is a relative term just like hipster (http://dustinland.com/archives/archives464.html), nutty crunchy,....

Basically a Fred is anyone that has a lower skill & experience to equipment investment ratio than you have. So, when I falsely thought I was quick and skilled while in grad school riding a RSX equipped rusty Specialized Allez, I had a extremely high self-assigned Fred ratio score. Pretty much anyone I saw back than was more Fred than I. If I had had some sort of $18,000 Halo bike, like a Specialized S Work McClaren, my Fred ratio score would have fallen with no change in my skills nor experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought about posting on the NBC thread this morning, but did not. Yes cracker is a term I have heard other folks from Florida and Georgia both rail against and embrace. The first use was for a poor uneducated white people form those areas, however, the use as of late has ignored the original geographic, class, and educational innuendos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_%28pejorative%29

I really wanted to point out his hypocrisy regarding the how he promotes the Hilly Bill Roubaix on his media outlet (http://www.gravelcyclist.com/race-reports/hilly-billy-roubaix-2015-race-report-by-dr-pain-and-k-dogg/). I have no personal problem with how that organization is run, however, that organization celebrates negative stereotypes of white people living in rural West Virginia. Just look at all the negative stereotypes captured in their logo: https://www.bikereg.com/VirtualImages/EventLogos/26404.png

I was going to ask Jayson to help organize a boycott against business and media outlets promoting that event. You know bike makers such as Cannondale (on the logo itself!) and media outlets like Gravel Cyclist that promote the event and see how he reacted. And to ask him to request Bike Reg to have his name removed from the results and to end his friendship with K-Dogg and Dr. Pain if they did not join this crusade. Of course I do in now way support such foolishness as I have been desperately wanted to do that events for years but something has always come up.

DismalScientist
09-02-2015, 10:10 AM
. Just look at all the negative stereotypes captured in their logo: https://www.bikereg.com/VirtualImages/EventLogos/26404.png

Did Cannon pose for that logo?:rolleyes:

Tania
09-02-2015, 10:19 AM
I really wanted to point out his hypocrisy regarding the how he promotes the Hilly Bill Roubaix on his media outlet (http://www.gravelcyclist.com/race-reports/hilly-billy-roubaix-2015-race-report-by-dr-pain-and-k-dogg/). I have no personal problem with how that organization is run, however, that organization celebrates negative stereotypes of white people living in rural West Virginia. Just look at all the negative stereotypes captured in their logo: https://www.bikereg.com/VirtualImages/EventLogos/26404.png

My entire family is from rural southern West Virginia (almost Kentucky). Except for that stupid hat, the logo is pretty spot on. :eek:

cvcalhoun
09-02-2015, 10:42 AM
Given my Georgia ancestry, I would not use "cracker" for anything other than Ritz or the like. It basically refers to a poor rural white person from the south, and has a connotation of uneducated and ignorant.

Is it racist? That would be a stretch. If it were, it would be racist against white people. And given the number of white people on our team, I find it difficult to believe that we've got any kind of issue with that. So I think the original accusation of racism was at a minimum not well thought out.

On the other hand, it is classist. And when used to refer to the Gainesville team generally, it implies that southerners generally are uneducated and ignorant. And we are better than to treat a bunch of people we don't even know (other than that they are committed cyclists) that way.

I strongly suspect the person who originally used the term didn't realize it's implications or used it jokingly as trash talk with no underlying hostility (perhaps in a self-deprecating way if s/he is southern). But I would strongly suggest that everyone cut it out. We can compete hard without using hurtful terms for our competitors.

consularrider
09-02-2015, 02:12 PM
They were also the Atlanta baseball team (http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/sports-outdoor-recreation/atlanta-crackers) until the Braves moved south from Milwaukee.